Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Subaru Impreza WRX

Comments

• dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,165
    Cool, then all the wanabes can go back to hondah and mazda and those of us in the know will stick with Subaru.

You can't have it both ways, Mike. EITHER those who know get Subaru and Subaru delivers it, not the wannabes, or they try to get those wannabes at expense of those "who know". I say go and get them brother, but don't expect that those "who know" will sit quiet and stick around.

You said - of you want good stuff get STI. I'm a realist and outside of 6-speed tranny, I don't expect super-dooper powertrain for 30K-. I'm fine with the one they give - LSD removal is disapointing, but I could live with it. But they're shuving useless and overpriced Nav down my throat, while they could get me something that actually matters to me, like sunroof, leather, HID and just a bit better interior. Legacy shows they can do it for not much more so why in the world did they think grey on grey with grey (and did I mention grey?) was a good color scheme for sporty hatchback?

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,165
    But the kids with the WRXs really have worn on me over the years with their mellon shooters and cheesy stuff done to em

So those tailights in '08 are fashionable for you ? :sick:

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    That's the thing, I could care less about fashion at all. Stock lights in whatever format are fine with me.

Heck we were happy in the day with NA engines. Real old school folks drove RSs, OBs, XT6s, SVXs, etc.

We added turbos to car that never were meant to have turbos.

Those were the days!

-mike
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    in my white LGT wagon.

-mike

Legacy Wagon owners are part of the market that Subaru no longer serves.

The interior of the 08's are OK. I look at the 08 WRX 5 door and the hood scoop is the only Subaru identity I see, the rest of it makes me think that it was switched at birth with a Mazda or Kia.
    The softer handling of the WRX is not appreciated.

Cool, then all the wanabes can go back to hondah and mazda and those of us in the know will stick with Subaru.

That is EXACTLY the market Subaru is now trying to capture.
    Soon there will be nothing recognizable to stick with.
    Real old school folks drove RSs, OBs, XT6s, SVXs, etc.

My first Subaru was a 1978 BRAT. Second was a 1986 GL Hatchback.
    Inexpensive and built to stay that way. Old school.
    Well my SVX was anything but inexpensive. Nor my XT6!

Eitherway there is not much we can do about any of the things people want or don't want. I guess I'm just so old school that I don't have to have exactly what I want, when I want it. AKA, I'm not spoiled. So whatever they sell if it fits my budget and gets the job done, I'm all for it. Heck I wanted a sedan, but got stuck with a wagon, I'm actually in agreement that there isn't a big market for them and they shouldn't produce a LGT wagon for my own personal needs.

-mike
  • estrekaestreka Member Posts: 28
    The fact that Impreza sales are up at the onset of a new model year is an expectation, not an overachievement. If refreshing your model line didn't increase sales, there wouldn't be much point in doing it.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Down 6.5% is good?

Of course not. They have an aging Forester in the lineup.

Remember, when you look at overall sales, the Forester historically has outsold the Impreza 3 to 1.

A new Forester is about to arrive. That should reverse the skid.

More importantly, complaints of the WRX "going soft" won't hurt the Forester nearly as much, in fact it might help, because that customer wants the comforts and probably thinks an LSD is a drug, not a differential. :D

Tribeca sales are up with the refresh.

Impreza sales are up with the re-design. So far so good.

The Forester is a critical vehicle for Subaru, far more important than the Tribeca and WRX combined.

Also note that the last 2 months, when the new Impreza was available, were both good months. So the down 6.5% was before the 2008 WRX arrived. Give it time.
  • aaykayaaykay Member Posts: 539
    I read that in some markets, the sales of the new Impreza went up, while that of the higher-margin Legacy, went down. So even though the new Impreza sold more, Subaru was not a winner.
    A fairly detailed test drive of the JDM STi from Nabisco.

http://www.channel4.com/4car/ft/subaru/impreza+wrx/12194/1
  • tiff_ctiff_c Member Posts: 531
    My friend who lives overseas says he say a Forester STi. He not only saw one driving on the road with full badging but also at the Subaru Dealership. He said he didn't have time to stop in but the ones at the dealership were also badged with the pink STi logo. These were not Legacy's but Forester Wagons. He said he didn't have his Digital Camera with him but was 100% certain they were legit.
    Does anyone know about these models?
  • jeffmcjeffmc Member Posts: 1,742
    Yes, there are Forester STIs. Not in the US, however. Initially released in Japan in 2004. Here's a little write-up from Australia:
    http://www.webwombat.com.au/motoring/news_reports/subaru-forester-sti.htm
    Yes, there are Forester STI's. Not in the US, however. Initially released in Japan in 2004. Here's a little write-up from Australia:
    http://www.webwombat.com.au/motoring/news_reports/subaru-forester-sti.htm

Thanks for the link, yes that sounds just like what he described. They apparently have them new in the Philippines now. I can't see why they wouldn't bring it to America, but another mistake by Subaru out of so many who would notice. :sick:
  • merrycynicmerrycynic Member Posts: 340
    While I'd really like a Legacy Wagon STI, I think I could settle for a Forester STI.
  • kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Member Posts: 1,798
    If I already posed this my apologies, but one subie dealer told me there's good change Impreza will have a 5 speed auto sometime next year.

I'm considering the '08 Impreza and the 5-speed auto would make it the number one candidate.

as for the "soft" suspension, I live in area where roads are really crummy, so that sounds like a plus.
    It's not that they won't bring it to America... it's that it's not here yet.
    I'm pretty sure we'll see it in '08 or '09... Subaru has essentially said they want to spread STI models throughout the lineup.

Well I NEED a car soon :sick:
    I'm kind of hoping all the good stuff come out before I need one. Early 2008 is not going to be a good year for me. Price of course is a factor but my wife saw it and liked it right away. Too bad another 1-2 years.
    Based on a post in Nabisco, which linked to an Australian site, it seems like Subaru is thinking about a model that slots between the STi and the widely-panned-for-its-wimpy-handling-08-WRX. High time they recognized that ! Also, when the original WRX debuted in 2001, 227HP was great with family cars like Honda Accords in the 190HP range. Now with Accords and Toyota Camrys in the 270HP range, the WRX is obviously unexceptional in the power department too. Seems like the Subaru WRX stood almost still and slunk a few feet backward on many scores, when the whole world marched on.

Quote from the link;

http://carsguide.news.com.au/story/0,20384,22734112-5003140,00.html

--------
    STI project manager Hiroshi Mori has also foreshadowed the creation of another model that would sit between the 169kW WRX and 221kW STI. "There is the potential for an intermediate model but we have to be careful to think the the whole situation through," he said.
    -------
    Read a few articles from other mags. seems it has a lot of body roll and understeer. the understeer is correctable with dialing the center diff I guess, but Subies rally car driver was the one who felt a rolly polly suspension offroad was a good thing. Shame they never told him Subaru doesn't make the street cars for offroad.
    The current articles say it's good but not great and considering it' a new model. I think it should have been a lot better with more improvements. I'll reserve final judgment until i drive one but the projected date of when it will be in the showrooms in April 2008 so it's off my list much to the delight of my wife and I need a car soon.
    2008 so far is very dissapointing for me new car wise across all the marques. :sick:
    No I read it. I also read other magazines as well and it's got alot of body roll so more money for sway bars, front strut brace in case the US model doesn't have one. We don't get the Recaro seats and we don't get the twin scroll turbo which is much smoother. I guess they think most Americans want a huge turbo rush rather than smoothness. The other article C&D I believe, also estimated it's price to start at $34,500. Out of my current range to justify the purchase, so it looks like for the next 5+ years I won't be buying a Subaru. :sick:
    I was hoping for a lower price but not expecting it. Edmunds was fairly upbeat about the car but they also drove the Japanese only version same as other mags. The real test will be the US version whenever it's allowed to be driven. Supposedly won't be in showrooms until April. So looks like Subaru and a few other makes are off my list because they won't come out until my current car is long dead. Ah well at least the Mazdaspeed 3 kicks serious butt and while not AWD it about all I can hope for until the next crop of cars after 2012.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    I wouldn't put a whole lot of stock in that C&D write-up. As I recall, the writer was having trouble adjusting to the RHD aspect, and as such probably felt awkward driving the car, which could account for his negative comments. The other writeups I've read were pretty positive.

Sounds to me like you're looking items to fault, as you've already got your mind made up. No car is perfect. You can always find something to complain about if you look hard enough. I wish the new STI had a monroof option; that's my main complaint.

April delivery? I heard February, or thereabouts.

Bob
  • merrycynicmerrycynic Member Posts: 340
    Moonroof. Yes. Really comes in handy when trying to keep man's best friend cool in the warm weather.
    I'd like leather too. A lot easier to keep clean with kids and dogs.
    Sounds to me like you're looking items to fault, as you've already got your mind made up. No car is perfect. You can always find something to complain about if you look hard enough. I wish the new STI had a moonroof option; that's my main complaint.

It sounds to me as if you don't like any one who has a differing opinion than you do. Of course new cars get the faults pointed out when they come out as well as the good points. I haven't driven the car and considering the cost my wife isn't likely to let me buy it anyway.
    Subaru as many have said has gone soft and while some of that can be corrected it's their loyal fans they've let down the most. Very few changes from 2007 to 2008 and that's a full redesign not a minor model change.
    Since no one has officially tested the US version nor do they have prices I'll wait and see.
    I've also heard about the Feb delivery as well as April, nothing firm yet. If they can't be bothered to announce it at the LA auto show this week then it won't matter as far as buying it for me anyway. I can't play games like this when I need a car and am just holding off to car makers who are delivering late into the new year are delaying everything more and more.
  • networkguynetworkguy Member Posts: 53
    Ah well at least the Mazdaspeed 3 kicks serious butt and while not AWD it about all I can hope for until the next crop of cars after 2012.

I love my Speed 3, but it too has it's drawbacks. No sun/moonroof option. I belive it's for chassis rigidity reasons. The gasp for breath at about 6000 rpm. The sometimes balky shifter, etc. It's not in the same group as the STi in terms of performance, but it excels in the bang-for-buck category.

Being notoriously thrifty, a.k.a. 'steenking cheapskate', the numbers alone are what keep the STi out of my serious consideration. I get that it's better hardware and LSD AWD. I understand it's worth it to some folks. It really would be cool to own such a fine machine. For me, it's thinking about my kids rapidly approaching college education, or another payment on a car 7000 or so above my comfort range. Hmmmm....
    I think that makes sense.

And I say go all out, give it the STI wider body work.

Take a page from Porsche's book. They tend to offer a turbo body kit model that isn't a turbo. Give it the suspension and the wider track, too.

I bet the regular WRX outsells it 8 to 1, but at least the autocross crowd would have their option.
    I love my Speed 3, but it too has it's drawbacks. No sun/moonroof option. I believe it's for chassis rigidity reasons. The gasp for breath at about 6000 rpm. The sometimes balky shifter, etc. It's not in the same group as the STi in terms of performance, but it excels in the bang-for-buck category.

Well from what I have seen, all cars have drawbacks, the question is can I as the buyer live with them?
    I never want a hole in my roof. I live in New England and maybe all those bad experiences won't repeat themselves but I don't want to find out. So that's a non-issue for me. I've heard about the shifter and haven't heard of a Fix for it yet. maybe eventually?
    6K rpms is ok by me, it's not a Civic Si. ;)
    It seems like my best compromise at this time. bang for the buck the new WRX is nothing like my old one. I finally drove one and didn't like it but can see the improvements. I'd take the Mazda over the new WRX as it's a no brainer.

Being notoriously thrifty, a.k.a. 'steenking cheapskate', the numbers alone are what keep the STi out of my serious consideration. I get that it's better hardware and LSD AWD. I understand it's worth it to some folks. It really would be cool to own such a fine machine. For me, it's thinking about my kids rapidly approaching college education, or another payment on a car 7000 or so above my comfort range hmmmm....

Well my wife will in no way allow me to spend that kind of dough on a car and we pay cash for whatever we buy. The STI will need some tweaking like sway bars etc... But looks like it has a ton of potential. The price is just so high that I just can't justify it.
    My kids have decided about their careers and are pursuing them so no more college bills for me except the youngest who hasn't decided yet.
    I think the other guy who is hardcore about subaru doesn't get why anyone would complain about a car that cost big $$$ and yet find faults. I guess for me to spend that kind of money it has to be dead on, or buy cheaper. I will take a Speed3 for a test drive soon. I've delayed because my buddy says I'll drive home with it that day if I drive it.
    My wife wants a Mini Cooper, nice cars, small very small she says no they are just fine, but 2 hour drive to the dealer each way means a day out of work. :surprise: :sick:
    I can't afford that! The car yes, the day off no. Too bad Mini has such a small dealer network. It's just not viable at almost 2 hours away with traffic Rt 128 always has traffic and Rt 93 is no picnic either. I can head up Rt 1 but that's not a world of fun either. My wife does not drive long distances.
    I guess I've gotta get a diesel eventually gas is too expensive now.
    08 WRX Review USA Today

I don't mind the styling on the outside, it's the inside I'm not crazy about. And the trim levels and equipment could use some tweaking. Nothing that can't be fixed as the model cycle continues.
    Funny thing is I like the interior better than the exterior. :D

That's why I have high expectations for the Forester - same improved interior, yet a distinct outer shell.
    The headliner felt like a cardboard carton sprayed with fuzzy stuff from a craft shop. The sun visors were an unpleasant-to-the-touch vinyl, and the straps on them to hold maps and so forth were bottom-of-the-barrel plastic. Controls worked OK but had the look of a previous generation of auto development.

Funny thing is I like the interior better than the exterior. :D

That's why I have high expectations for the Forester - same improved interior, yet a distinct outer shell.

That's why I have concerns about the Forester, Subaru can not exude cheapness at the price levels they are at.
    Most Forester sell for below the average price for a new car.

These are not really high prices.

I test drove a Saturn Vue Redline yesterday. Guess how much?

Over $32 grand. :surprise:
    I test drove a Saturn Vue Redline yesterday. Guess how much?

Over $32 grand.

I just looked at the pricing on Edmunds. I'm not a Saturn fan or anything, but I think you probably drove the most expensive Vue available. In terms of model/trim positions, would a Vue Redline, with apparently all availble options, be better compared to a Forester STi?
    Forester XT Limited, probably. The STI isn't sold in the USA.

The Vue was nicely loaded. We usually sample a high-end model and then delete the features we don't want. That way you don't miss anything.

Let's Build My Own...Redline AWD, add cargo cover, NAV, TAP shift, $32,120. Can't bargain that down, either. They have 0% but only on 2007s.

The Subaru is not out yet, and the current model doesn't have NAV, so it's hard to compare directly. The local dealer has an XT Ltd for under $26k. The new one will boost that price quite a bit, as NAV is an expensive option from Subaru.

I have to wait and see, basically.

I liked the Vue, I just didn't love it. The wife liked it even less, not sure why.
    Looked at the new '08 Impreza series yesterday. Drove the base model rather than WRX because, unfortunately, WRX only comes with black interior (no thanks on heat and window fogging issues with those -- why, why do car companies believe the ___only__ interior color of a "sports" car must be black ??). I didn't notice any severe lean on corners, and the ride was similar to WW Gti's and other euros I've driven earlier. One treat was the dealers driver (and then myself) parked the car with left wheels on asphalt, right wheels on gravel, and then floored it - car went in absolutely straight line with no wheel tugging. The base model engine, though, is pretty much gutless at higher speeds, and some of the interior details were cheapish (headliner, thin carpets pulling out of the door trim, etc). The seat was also questionable, as its cushion seemed to collapse after only a short time (I weigh around 175).

Good first step in improvement, though.
    Sounds good, Kurt.

Are you actively shopping to replace the Malibu Maxx?
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    where are you that a black interior is so hot? this isn't a 1978 maverick...ac in most new cars is more than adequate.
    where are you that a black interior is so hot?

FWIW.. Black leather interiors in central Texas are not much fun in summer, unless you're entertained by seared flesh when you first sit down. Shorts are for the true masochist.
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    It's cloth, if I'm not mistaken.
    It's a mixture of materials, with (I think) some leather trim.
    Problem with black interiors in summer is they outgas, and fog the windows (all that heat's also shortening material life). Also concur with networkguy that they get hot enough to burn skin.
    And yeah, AC helps but has to work a __lot__ harder with black than light interiors.

Nothing __wrong__ with having black for an interior (two of my cars were that way) !! But having been through the pain and no longer needing the "statement", it's nice to be offered a choice in a performance car. Subaru doesn't offer one here.

...and yes, ateixeria, I am looking to replace my 4-year old Maxx, which is having issues with Oregon weather and is now "orphaned" (GM discontinued it in '08). We don't have a huge number of true AWD choices up here, though. Audi has ___one___ dealer here serving a 150 mile radius .vs. several Subaru dealers.
    I hear you, my wife had leather on her 626 and she put a wool blanket over the seat, but for the opposite reason - ice cold in winter. They were not heated, though.
    Kurt,

Not sure where you are in Oregon, but if you go with a Subaru, Carr in Beaverton has a reputation for nearly impossible to beat, no-dicker pricing. They're also one of the largest volume Subie sellers in the nation. I have some friends down in Portland who purchased an Outback there with no complaints. Even if Beaverton's too far away from you, taking Carr's pricing to other dealers to match (or at least come close) gives you a strong hand to play.

As far as sportier Subies go, taupe or ivory interiors are available on Outback XT, Outback 3.0R LLBean, Legacy 3.0R, Forester XT Ltd. All of those are leather... no non-black cloth options on H6 or turbo models.
    I'm the opposite, anything that is remotely "light" interiorwise will be filthy looking in about a week and a half. So for me I have to go with a dark interior in order for my car not to look crappy quickly.

-mike
    Well, in the Impreza WRX I am considering, an option is custom leather that would accent the seats and door surfaces, leaving the floors and dash black. That could work out well.
    However I did hear a rumor from one dealer that the WRX is supposed to be getting a 5 speed auto by early next year (I'm considering the Outback XT because it does have a 5 speed, though its very expensive).

As for my 4 yr old tan interior Maxx, the only dirty area is the driver floor mat. But I will rethink that a bit for the much wetter Oregon area.

jeffmc,
    though I am near Beaverton so far I've avoided Carr (I've read bad things about them) and have visited Capitol Subaru in Salem; No nonsense pricing and very courteous staff - a huge improvement over the Calif. dealers I was turned off by.
    Hadn't heard anything bad about Carr, but being local you're much more likely to run into any discussion of that than I am. Good to hear you've got a dealership you're pleased with. :)

The custom leather option sounds like a good way to go to me. :shades:
    Katskins are supposed to be excellent aftermarket leather wraps for cars I've heard.

-mike
    I agree.

I saw a Katskins leather interior on a Forester when we had a Subaru themed event at a winery in VA. The leather was nicer than the OE stuff, though the fit isn't quite as good. Still more than acceptable to me.
    November sales results for Subaru. The sales decline continues.

Subaru –5.9% at 14,868 (11/06: 15,800)
    New models are doing well, stale models are not. Impreza up 9%, Tribeca up 18%. It's a tough market right now. Right now, their two traditional highest-volume sellers are their oldest, Forester & Outback. New Forester should provide a good shot in the arm for the sales numbers in the spring. IMHO, they need to introduce a couple additional models to help fill out the lineup and reduce the percentage of the lineup that is stale at any given time.
    So the Impreza is up 3 months in a row - every month since it's been out.

What thread are we in? Oh, right, Impreza. :P
    What thread are we in? Oh, right, Impreza.

Subaru Impreza

Oh, right, Subaru makes the Impreza.
    You are still in the wrong thread to be discussing sales of non-Imprezas.

Subaru Impreza sales are way up for the 3rd month in a row. Every single month since the new Impreza has been out. That's not bad news for the Subaru Impreza no matter how you try to spin it.

That's like me saying you are skinny because your uncle lost weight. :D

You should be here instead:

ateixeira, "Subaru's fortunes sinking - can they turn it around?" #2617, 19 Nov 2007 7:07 am
This discussion has been closed.