Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Subaru Impreza WRX

Comments

• erics6erics6 Member Posts: 684
    Best price and availablity will be at Carr. I've always found them easy to deal with. Watch the Oregonian weekend ads and pick up one of their sale cars. Dick Hannah in Vancouver is pretty aggressive with weekend sales prices too. If you have a specific option package you can deal with the internet department and get a pretty good deal.
  • kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Member Posts: 1,798
    Wash. has sales tax, Oregon does not, so I won't be buying in Washington.

Yes, Carr does has a lot of inventory, but feels old-school as do nearly all the Dealers in Beaverton.
    Lithia of Oregon City has a much nicer sales policy and fewer complaints on record.

Anyway, wrt the Impreza:
    any suggestions how I can get more comfortable seats (I make occasional long trips) ?
    The ones it now has only tilt up from the rear (old VW design), and the black interior color is not particularly appealing.
    Should I consider a Recardo or something?
  • erics6erics6 Member Posts: 684
    Are you an Oregon resident? Oregon residents don't pay sales tax in Washington.

Walking in off the street at any dealer is an unpleasant experience. I've found the same sales experience at all the Subaru dealers in the Portland area. As long as you deal with the internet guy or have a weekend ad price you get a pretty good sales experience.

I've seen a lot of the new Impreza's around. I'm really starting to like the look.
  • rexasianrexasian Member Posts: 4
    I drove both the A3 in 2.0T 6sp manual and WRX wagon today, and I think I'm leaning more towards the A3. The WRX had more power and a smoother throttle response with less turbo lag but the A3 just had a way better suspension and could really carve the corners much better. Too bad Audi only offers quattro on the 3.2 V6 and you can't even get it with a manual tranny. Are the any aftermarket suspension tuning kits out or announced for the new WRX or will the old ones fit? This new model really needs a sport tuned suspension option.

also, +1 on the seats not being all that comfy. I really need something with more lumbar support as there was absolutely none. I can deal with the black cloth, I just need to get more tint put on the windows. Other than the lumbar, they felt OK.
  • saedavesaedave Member Posts: 694
    Too bad Audi only offers quattro on the 3.2 V6 and you can't even get it with a manual tranny

But the A4 2.0T manual trans is available with quattro...at not too different a pricefrom the A3 That said,if you are going to keep the Audi beyond its 4 year everything-covered warranty it could turn out to be expensive to own. As an X owner of many Audis and VWs, I know too well.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    But the A4 2.0T manual trans is available with quattro

It's not really the Audi Quattro system (Torsen). It's a Haldex system, FWD based. Although very responsive, I believe Subaru's Symmetrical AWD is more sophisticated, and will probably react quicker.
    Yes I am Oregon resident...was not aware of the tax issue.

Subaru dealer told me the WRX seats and black interior are built for "sport", not trip comfort. Uh Huh... :surprise: I almost asked back "Just how short are trips supposed to be in the WRX - a lap around the track?" :confuse:

Still looking 'em over...
  • saedavesaedave Member Posts: 694
    It's not really the Audi Quattro system (Torsen). It's a Haldex system, FWD based. Although very responsive

If it is Haldex, there is one notable advantage: No flatbed tow is required unlike Torsen and most Subaru models. And yes I had a flatbed tow on a Torsen-equipped VW W8.

The latest Haldex versions that engage rear drive proactively are not bad.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    A3 prices are kind of steep, though, what about a GTI or MazdaSpeed3 if you don't need AWD?
    Yea, a new, 08, A3 is difficult to get under 30. I was looking at getting an 07 since the dealer is willing to go below invoice on it. So far though, I haven't been able to find one with the options that I want/ don't want.

A4 2.0T quattro starts around 35, so probably won't happen without the Audi Premier Plan (conventional financing with a balloon payment at the end). And they've really softened the A4, way more so than Subaru did to the WRX.

I think the Audi price point just isn't as good as the WRX and the seats and suspension can be fixed/adjusted.
    Most vehicles are flat bedded today. Very rare, at least in my neck of the woods, to see a tow behind tow truck.

The latest Haldex versions that engage rear drive proactively are not bad

Never said they weren't. They are actually quite good. Personally, I find it a bit deceiving when Audi placed the "quattro" badge on a Haldex equipped vehicle, when in fact their Torsen equipped vehicles are what made Audi receive praise for the "quattro" name.

I would assume it is just a advertising or marketing ploy to use "quattro" on everything with AWD.
    in case I missed anything (workstation is slamming through tests today):

how can the '08 Impreza seats be improved?
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    Audi beyond its 4 year everything-covered warranty it could turn out to be expensive to own.

As of 2007 the 4 year included maintenance is gone on Audis. Only BMW still offers this with new cars.
    It's $590 now instead of included. Not bad, but slightly annoying....

After more research on the A3, I'm back to leaning away from it. Reliability is hit or miss, it's overall more expensive, and only one '07 in Texas equipped the way I would like...
    We have an 06 A3. It's been great but we bought it used 10 months ago from a nice yuppie couple who babied it. I would not buy one if you want anything approaching a performance vehicle. My wife loves hers but i'd go nuts driving it daily. It's way too soft for me.
  • merrycynicmerrycynic Member Posts: 340
    I could be wrong, but, I thought A3 Quattros were Haldex and A4 Quattros were Torsen. IMHO, the Torsen appears to be a superior system.
    A3 3.2 is Haldex and Haldex is FWD-biased junk. It's also used in the Mazdaspeed6.

Ford/Volvo use Haldex systems in their cars too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haldex
  • volkovvolkov Member Posts: 1,306
    As of 2007 the 4 year included maintenance is gone on Audis. Only BMW still offers this with new cars.

They are offering it on 08 Tribecas up here in the Great White North. Nothing south of the 49th?
    Subaru as a company doesn't offer "free" maintenance for 4 yr/50k miles like BMW still does and Audi/MB used to.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    how can the '08 Impreza seats be improved?

You can purchase some aftermarket seats. Probably fairly in-expensive too. Try Recaro, Sparco there are probably others out there as well.

-mike
    I decided against the A3, mostly due to the reliability reports post 50k miles. As my father and ex-Audi mechanic put it: "German cars need a lot of attention and finesse when they get older." Plus I got a really good deal on the WRX, 700 below invoice. It's hard to argue with that kind of numbers. Thanks to all of the opinions on this site/discussion, they've been very helpful.
    You are correct about the models and which AWD systems they get.

And Torsen is superior on the track, in conditions where you have grip and can take advantage of their ability to send power where there is more traction.

However...Torsens have an achilles' heel - in frictionless situations they fail completely, and basically act like an open differential.

So I wouldn't say it's always "superior", in fact on black ice it's the opposite, i.e. completely useless. In certain conditions (dry track) it's best, but not on ice.
    thanks for heads up on reliability reminder and the torsen weakness. I was toying with Audi again but will now put 'em off the table for good.
    Where I live (lots of asphalt road hills, one audi dealer for 150 miles) would probably make life with an Audi miserable. :sick:

but then again...don't the most recent Audis have systems that try to minimize wheel spin in those conditions where the torsen can't do it on their own?

Hope you enjoy your WRX... I'm still considering one... :)
    It's also used in the Mazdaspeed6.

Similar to Haldex, but, Mazda builds it in house. They do not source it from Haldex.

Volvo more so then Ford. Ford just uses is in their Taurus/Sable. The AWD system in the Edge / MKX /MKZ / Fusion / Milan are built in house by Ford. Not Haldex. The Mountaineer uses a full time AWD system, also built in house.

I would stay away from Wiki as a source. I can go there right now and change any info they have.
    It's also used in the Mazdaspeed6.

Similar to Haldex, but, Mazda builds it in house. They do not source it from Haldex.

Volvo more so then Ford. Ford just uses is in their Taurus/Sable. The AWD system in the Edge / MKX /MKZ / Fusion / Milan are built in house by Ford. Not Haldex. The Mountaineer uses a full time AWD system, also built in house.

I would stay away from Wiki as a source. I can go there right now and change any info they have.
    Avi, actually I wasn't using the Haldex Ford/Mazda/Volvo connection based on Wiki. Numerous car reviews point to Ford's umbrella of vehicles using Haldex. Regardless, Haldex is junk and the stuff in the Ford cars can only be called FWD-bias anti-performance junk too.
    I think you are over-generalizing.

FWD based part-time systems are fine for the type of people that buy those cars, i.e. they just want a little bit of extra traction when needed.

Every system has its trade-offs. All of them. Cost, weight, extra drag, etc... there is always a catch.
    You beat me to it.
    agreed wrt part time .vs. full time systems.

Also, some react faster than others (the GM systems are nortoriously slow to engage, while the VW/Audi system is supposed to be relatively quick).

My queries have tried to be towards whether the part systems _brake_ spinning wheels to let the __other__ wheels do the job, or (mostly) do not.
    It all depends on how they "tune" the traction control, I suppose.

I know that Subaru lets VDC act first, to transfer torque, and only then will let the traction control go to work.

Some, like Consumer Reports, see this as risky, as the tail can slide out, while others will see this as fun and unintrusive.

It's up to you as to what you prefer.

I can say that my Sienna has VSC, and Toyota's system acts a bit too early. I was climbing a snowy ramp and it would retard my momentum. I made it, but next time I may turn off VSC before trying to climb a steep slope.
    And now we have the "second generation VDC" which is on the 08 STi :) Just to add more confusion.

I have VDC with ABLS on my Armada and it works real well for a street car. It'll brake a wheel if it slips creating a limited slip on both front and rear axles. If that doesn't control the skid it then limits power. Quite un-intrusive even when pushed to the limit. I wouldn't use it on track, but for street it's great.

-mike
  • aaykayaaykay Member Posts: 539
    I am looking long and hard at the upcoming STi but the requirement to put 93 Octane fuel is pretty constricting, since in these parts, the most I can get is 92 Octane. Several journalists (based in CA) also felt that when testing the STi, they were not getting its whole potential, since only 91 Octane fuel (premium) was available in California. I know that the engine will automatically retard timing to compensate for the lower-grade fuel but I just wish Subaru had tuned (and tested) the car to run with the more commonly available 91Octane.

When making cross-country trips, there are places where the best obtainable fuel is 87 Octane. I put it briefly in my WRX (in Iowa) during a trip a few months back and drove along at low rpms, till I got to a station that sold premium, around 120miles away ! Don't know if the STi would have tolerated that fuel, for so long.

Also, the flat seats are a BIG turnoff in a high-performance car. The previous generation was nasty from that perspective and the new one is also no different on that score. The whole world gets great sport-seats in the STi and the US alone is saddled with a "flat stool". Hopefully Subaru will provide a more higher performance seat as a option, since there have been some murmers along those lines in Subaru forums like Nabisco.

Obviously price is also a factor when considering the STi, since at the $40K mark, there are several other alternatives, even though for sheer handling and high-perf equipment levels, the STI is hard to beat. We'll see.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    While 93 octane is preferred, it will run on 91 octane.

Bob
    It'll run on 87 too. It's not going to hurt the engine to throw in an 87 octane if you're in a real pinch...it'll just run weaker and less efficiently.
    Has anyone compared the Impreza WRX to the Outback XT?

If so, can they tell me if the WRX has a broader powerband (I.e., engine responds earlier in the torque curve than the XT does)? ((I'm trying to find time to drive a WRX auto but have not been successful as of late)).

I'm considering the Forester '09 which is using the same powertrain as the WRX.
    If Forester/Impreza engine's more tractable, that would be good reason to hold off on the Outback.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    The big advantage, from a power standpoint, is that the Outback XT has a 5-speed automatic, and the WRX a 4-speed auomatic.

The Outback is also a much nicer and much roomier vehicle, but it's also much more expensive. It won't be quite as nimble and fun to drive as the WRX, however.

Bob
    I definitely found more room in cargo space of Outback .vs. WRX, but passenger space seems about the same (both are pretty snug). Outback has nicer seating positions, though (Passenger in WRX = sitting in bathtub).

Driving both Outback XT and H6 5-spd autos around town revealed annoying hesitations below around 3 K rpm. On next/last test drive I'll try some posted forum suggestions that will minimize that.
    I drive an 07 WRX auto wagon and the engine is extremely tractable. There is power from right off idle and upto the higher rpms. Also, I believe the Auto needs a few 1000 miles to really break in, since the transmission has got an inbuilt learning capability. Driving a new Auto vehicle will be misleading from a driveability standpoint.

On the other hand, I drive my friend's 5-spd 02 WRX quite a bit and find that the engine is afflicted with what I term as the severe rubber-band effect. Nothing below 3000rpms and then WHAM....very frustrating to drive, when you need to squirt into tight spaces in a hurry.
    Also, another point to note about the WRX Auto is that unlike the 07 and earlier model years, the 08 has the same type of driving capability as the lesser Imprezas.

The pre-07 WRXs (among all the Imprezas including the Forester XT Auto) with the Auto, came with VTD, which is an AWD system that drove with 55% of the power going to the rear wheels (as the default) and came with a planetary gear center diff and transfer clutches (like the Legacy GT Auto and Outback XT).

The 08 WRX auto on the other hand, lacks a center diff and drives with most of the power on the front wheels. If you disconnect a fuse, you can even make it 100% front-wheel-drive, since it does not have a Center Differential. Obviously unlike the 07 and earlier WRXs, the 08 also lacks the rear LSD, while it comes with the stability control system (VDC).
    Interesting about the lack of central diff. Sounds like a huge step towards a Haldex reactive 4WD system and less of AWD.

So how does the '08 Impreza divide up power between front and back? By use of a pair of electrically operated clutches?

And does the VDC now handle all traction control issues?

The Outback is also a much nicer and much roomier vehicle, but it's also much more expensive.

Have to disagree. When I tested the 08 STi we purposely compared the interior cabing space between my 05 LGT wagon and the STi. STi (same size interior as the WRX) was significantly more roomy especially for my rather large frame. Rear seats also provided more leg and foot room as well.

Rear hatch space however was about 1/3 in the Impreza compared to the LGT Wagon.

-mike
    Interesting about the lack of central diff. Sounds like a huge step towards a Haldex reactive 4WD system and less of AWD.

So how does the '08 Impreza divide up power between front and back? By use of a pair of electrically operated clutches?

80/20 torque split on the 4EAT transmission AWD systems, variable to 20/80.
    VDC essentially puts in place both a front and rear LSD via brake application, this system is far superior to a traditional rear LSD in all but track conditions. I have this on my Armada.

As for hesitations, I was working on Bat1161's car on saturday and took it out for a ride after doing the brake pads to bed them in. It's an Outback H6 LLBean. This was my first drive in an H6 3.0 and it was very very linear with no hesitation. Quite impressed with it. It's got 22k miles and is fully broken in so my guess is you should look for a fully broken in car to test drive.

-mike

The 08 Auto Imprezas (including WRX auto) uses haldex-type transfer clutch packs to transfer power rearward when needed. More along the lines of a PTO (Power take off) than a center diff containing product. More of a Honda CRV type system than the more effective/expensive Acura RDX SH-AWD. Some power is constantly send rearward (thus technically making it full-time AWD) to keep the system primed for quicker transfer when needed. But as stated earlier, you can make it full-time Front-Wheel-Drive but pulling a simple fuse (not possible in pre-08 WRXs, since it is a true AWD with a Center diff and a Rear diff).

VDC, like all other stability control systems, applies brakes and cuts engine power to keep the vehicle on course during slippery conditions. I have one in my Front-wheel-drive Honda Odyssey minivan. I think there is even a Government mandate to have all vehicles equipped with VDC-type stability systems by (2009?). So everything from a $10K Kia to the $100K+ Mercedes S63 AMG will now come with VDC.

The STi comes with VDC AND front (mechanical), center (planetary gear and transfer clutches like prior year Auto WRXs) and rear (mechanical-torsen-type) differentials, while ALL 08+ Impreza Automatics (including WRX) comes with VDC and the clutch-pack based AWD system that can send power rearward when needed but Open diffs in the front, center and rear. ALL 08+ Impreza manual-shifted vehicles (except STi) come with open front and rear diffs and a Viscous coupling type center diff. The pre-08 WRXs had a viscous type LSD in the rear, which has been removed in the 08.
  • lilengineerboylilengineerboy Member Posts: 4,116
    80/20 torque split on the 4EAT transmission AWD systems, variable to 20/80.
    VDC essentially puts in place both a front and rear LSD via brake application, this system is far superior to a traditional rear LSD in all but track conditions. I have this on my Armada.

The views expressed in the above message are the opinion of the host and not necessarily the opinion of anyone else on the forum,
    It's a fact. Sorry that you don't agree with it, but that's the information that was passed to me from SOA Engineers... As for VDC being better on the street than a traditional LSD in ONLY the rear, it's pretty well known, heck AMG Equipped MB cars also have VDC style rear LSDs, if it's good enough for them, it's certainly good enough for you ON THE STREET. On the track is a different story but the STi is the Impreza meant for the track, not the WRX.

-mike
    Thanks, aaykay. This apparently confused the Subie salesmen pitching the cars to me as they told me that Subaru used a "true" AWD in the Impreza.

But sounds like, at least in the '08 Impreza (and I suspect the '09 Forester), VDC has allowed them to reduce costs by eliminating limited slip diffs and go fully reactive, like other AWD makers.

Would be good to know why a traditional rear LSD (which I guess the Outback still has) is better for track applications. Less brake wear?.

And I also wonder if it was the Outback's rear LSD that made the clunking sounds I ran across in an H6 test drive. I remember now that LSD's are nortorious for making occasional clunking sounds as their clutch packs readjust to varying conditions.
  • lilengineerboylilengineerboy Member Posts: 4,116
    It's a fact. Sorry that you don't agree with it, but that's the information that was passed to me from SOA Engineers

Which makes it the opinion of said engineers...facts require data and proof. Limiting power by applying brakes is never going to be the best solution.

eck AMG Equipped MB cars also have VDC style rear LSDs, if it's good enough for them, it's certainly good enough for you ON THE STREET.

Actually I haven't found any info saying they use this system, everything I have found so far says they use a clutch type system for their limited slip.

I am not personally worried about it at this time, my Subaru has the 2 limited slips (although the clutch type would be cooler than the torsen, but seems fine for the street and the meager power output involved).
    eck AMG Equipped MB cars also have VDC style rear LSDs, if it's good enough for them, it's certainly good enough for you ON THE STREET.

Actually I haven't found any info saying they use this system, everything I have found so far says they use a clutch type system for their limited slip.

See this is where my experience comes in handy. We were at the RACETRACK when a few of the MB Engineers were out running a current gen E55 AMG out at Pocono Raceway. They happened to be in the garage stall next to us and out on track with us. They kept cooking the rear brake fuild during some very hot laps they were running with us because they use the brake-style LSD in the rear of the AMGs.

To clarify the 80/20 torque split on the 4EATS uses electronically controlled clutch packs to transfer power from front to rear. This is the same system that Subaru used when they first started makeing AWD in 1988 right up until post 2000. So it is in no way a "reactionary" system as some people on this board may think. Subaru built their reputation on their AWD systems in the 90s on this system.

-mike
    Which makes it the opinion of said engineers...facts require data and proof. Limiting power by applying brakes is never going to be the best solution.

And as you so eloquently put it above, this happens to be YOUR OPINION.

Having both front and rear axles with ability to shift power left and right is in my opinion a far safer method of putting power down for the average street driver than having only the rear axle able to shift power between the left and right sides.

-mike
This discussion has been closed.