Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Subaru Impreza WRX

Comments

• volkovvolkov Member Posts: 1,306
    Let's get a few things straight. I take offense that you think all track folks don't want VDC. I'd kill for VDC on track. Anything for an advantage!

Mea Culpa for forgetting your views on VDC and racing, I know you are a performance over poseur guy. There are others however who don't like it - either due to ignorance/arrogance that they are better drivers than the computer could be or the impression in some non-Subies that it does hurt lap time by slowing one down too much or giving the feel of fighting the car. That had been my point.

Second here in the USDM market which is about 95%+ on this board, the Wagon was equipped exactly like the Sedan.

So what you're saying is neither US wagon or Sedan had VDC in the GT?? I am wondering that given the fact that you do track the wagon and say you wish you had VDC.

On a side note, that last comment sounds a little uncharitable to we 5%, and might I add, a little unwelcoming from a Host albeit of a sister forum. I could only make comments on the specs as I had recalled as available to me in Canada - I made the clarification to ensure it wasn't misleading and to allow correction if required. Thanks for the correction, but the attitude wasn't needed. I will have to dig up the brochure where I noticed that. It could be a distinction with Spec B only, which would be my mistake -not sure. The important point was that the VDC and wagon didn't mix and I didn't want the 3.0R.
  • dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,163
    So what you're saying is neither US wagon or Sedan had VDC in the GT?? I am wondering that given the fact that you do track the wagon and say you wish you had VDC

That's exactly right. In their infinite wisdom, Subaru still didn't include VDC in GT Ltd. Sedan w/manual even in 2009. They did for Outback XT, already in 2008, IIRC, but for sedan you have to get an auto with GT. Basically, since NA 2.5 (SE and i) versions do get VDC, the mentioned GT version is now the only Subaru not getting VDC (even '09 Impreza gets it across the line, IIRC the press release). Go figure :surprise: :confuse: :sick:

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    I hit manual and drove on the "loosest" setting on the way to work today. Only for a couple of miles. The car drives much "lighter" and felt smoother. I think I might like it better. I have just been using "auto" for now, but thought it was worth trying.

I am going to stick with the "auto" setting for the majority of the time for now, but it was an interesting observation.
    Second here in the USDM market which is about 95%+ on this board, the Wagon was equipped exactly like the Sedan.

Well, I checked when I got home and was correct as the 2008 Canadian brochure specifies that VDC is only available on select sedans, aka Spec B and GT lim with auto.
    For the benefit of your claimed 95%, I did some searching and according to two sources including Edmunds, in the last year the GT wagon was available in the US, sedans with EAT got VDC, wagons did not. So the spec was not exactly the same - the exact point I was making. If you get dismissive it helps to be correct.

BTW, I'm not bellyaching about the end of the wagon, it simply didn't meet my desire for a sporty wagon with auto with VDC that's why I didn't buy one. I do agree with the primary point you made that we can't complain about the demise of something we didn't support by spending the $$ to buy it.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Sorry for offending you about the 5% comment. But in general we are discussing USDM cars and SOA here, not SOC. That was my point.

As for the upcoming redesign, you will see both the Outback and the Legacy on the same platform, but you may see different front sheet metal on the fenders/hood to differentiate them a bit.

As for a sporty wagon, looks like audi is it or an E-class.

Subaru gave up on the luxury market, and that's really who is offering sporty wagons now. They weren't taking on the germans, similar to how Lexus dropped the IS Wagon. Infinity doesn't have a G or M wagon, etc.

-mike
  • exit123exit123 Member Posts: 136
    ?
  • merrycynicmerrycynic Member Posts: 340
    I couldn't agree more! Word for word, that's how I feel. My little one will soon be taller than me, we need more leg room. We need a bit more storage capacity. I don't want a "cute ute" or a high center of gravity, plastic clad, off road pretender. I want a high value, practical, high performance, all wheel drive, wagon.
    VW? Tarus-x? A3? A4? BMW 3 or 5? MB C or E?

-mike
    Motorsports and Modifications Host
  • lilengineerboylilengineerboy Member Posts: 4,116
    I dunno if you could call the Taurus X anything even a little sporty. I think the Legacy the Passat and the Mazda were about it, and the Legacy and Passat could get close to A4 and 3-series territory.
    Depends who you ask about the Tarus-X. How about the Ford Flex? It looks like a bigger mini-cooper! :)

WRX? It's got big seats and it's a wagon/hatch?

If there were truely a market for a "reasonably priced" sporty wagon, then other manufacturers would have jumped into the market. My guess is that the size of the potential buyer pool is small enough not to warrant manufacturers making them.

-mike
    I think I may take a test drive of new '09, but I don't get my hopes too high. Perhaps GTP will sway me, but I doubt it, too. Five years ago I would be extatic on that car - today I acknowledge the effort, but well - I dunno. New WRX will be great for what it is - a pocket rocket compact car, but I'm already in search for a car for grown-ups. I would easily let go a few (20-30) horses and totally sharp cornering for a better ambience and a few modern ammenities that Legacy GT offered (and some more that it doesn't). Leave the cladding, long springs and all-terrain tires in the factory and I would take it. If I had to pay extra for that, I might as well buy a car that was designed the right way from ground up in Munich. :sick:

Now, my problem with WRX ('08 or '09) is its interior - not even remotely as nice as Legacy's. It's better made than my current '02 for sure, but it's still light years from Legacy/Outback. It's dull, unexciting, and plain downgrade if you consider that the car has a sticker close to 30K. Red stiching will put some make-up on it, but it won't solve the fundamentals. None of which is true for Legacy. Boy-racer tail lights don't help, either.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

Well can you blame subaru for getting out of the wagon market? Going up against the A4, 3-series and C or E class MB is a tough thing to do on a Subaru budget. Dodge even dropped the Magnum for 09, so the ranks of sporty wagons keep dropping every year. :(

I love my wagon but I recognize that there just isn't enough of a user base to support it.

-mike
  • saedavesaedave Member Posts: 694
    I love my wagon but I recognize that there just isn't enough of a user base to support it

Mike,

I wonder if there are enough potential sales to support a 3 inch lowering kit for the Forester? :P

Dave
    or Outback ?

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I don't want a "cute ute" or a high center of gravity, plastic clad, off road pretender.

So get a Forester, and lower it. ;)

All the Impreza stuff bolts right on. My 1998 Forester had upgraded sway bars, strut tower brace, SPT short shift kit, you name it. Bolted right on.

One bonus - you have TONS more room for wheel/tire choices.
    Two problems:

1. No manual transmission (on XT)
    2. Substantial extra cost. If you add cost of those upgrades to the XT, you could as well buy loaded A3 or stripped A4.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

Aren't loaded A3s in the $35k range?

An XT Limited with NAV lists for $30.6k. Sells for closer to 28-29k.

Good point about the no-manual, though. Can't fix that with mods, either.
    Yeah, perhaps not totally loaded A3, but it would already have a lot. They start around $26K, but options are expensive, indeed.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• lilengineerboylilengineerboy Member Posts: 4,116
    Good point about the no-manual, though. Can't fix that with mods, either.

Just what happens when you get bought by a company that hasn't had a fun to drive car since the 90s.

Oh well, I wish them the best.
    I think the weak dollar/strong Euro combination has seriously eroded the value of German cars. If they were ever a strong value to begin with.

I just went to the Audi Ultimate Drive event at Summit Point Raceway, and it was an absolute hoot. We drove fairly well loaded A4s with the Luxury package and the adjustable Dynamic/Comfort suspension. V6 Quattro models, of course.

The scary part? Estimated list price was $48,000!

Without the Sport package! None of the cars there had them, to be comparable with the Lexus IS250 AWD, M-B 300 4Matic, and BMW 328xi they had along for comparison. The Lexus was the cheapest of the bunch at just under $40k, but all the rest were $40k plus, and Audi was the most expensive, probably because they compared their upgraded engine with the base engine of the competition.

I'm sure a 2.0T would be cheaper, but by how much? Still low $40s probably.

It's insane.

Even BMW, they bring out the 1 series, but all they really did was increase 3 series prices, and then price the 1 series where the 3 series used to be ($30-40 grand).

You can get a 128i or a FWD A3 in the high $20s, but a well equipped 135 or A3 Quattro will run well up in to the 30s.

For $48 grand you could buy two basic WRXs, or a loaded Forester XT Limited plus an Outback Sport for your kid.
    I love my wagon but I recognize that there just isn't enough of a user base to support it

Mike,

I wonder if there are enough potential sales to support a 3 inch lowering kit for the Forester?

Dave

As juice said, you can put on a lowering kit for the forester and outback. JDM STi Pinks! That's what I'm doing on my LGT with my Konis. :) Heck coilovers run in the Sub $1k range these days and are somewhat streetable.

-mike
    Does anyone know where I can find the 2009 pricing and equipment specs?
  • subytrojansubytrojan Member Posts: 120
    If you're looking for U.S. pricing and specs, Joe Spitz's site, www.cars101.com, should help.
  • nerd1nerd1 Member Posts: 9
    Hello all.... I am new to subies and this forum, but are very interested in the WRX 09. Here are the offical prices for the WRX 09 and others. Remember there is a new destination price of $665 that is not included. These are the MSRP prices only. See 2nd link below from car101.com for other stuff and invoice.

Does anyone know when they get released?

2009 IMPREZA PRICING
    MODEL Standard Package Transmission Total Suggested
    Retail Price
    IMPREZA 4 DOOR
    2.5i 5MT $17,495
    2.5i 4AT-S $18,495
    2.5i Premium Premium Package 5MT $19,495
    2.5i Premium Premium Package 4AT-S $20,495
    2.5i Premium Navigation/ Satellite
    Radio Package 4AT-S $22,495
    2.5GT 4AT-S $26,995
    WRX 5MT $24,995
    WRX Premium 5MT $27,495
    WRX Premium Navigation/ Satellite
    Radio Package 5MT $29,495

IMPREZA 5 DOOR
    2.5i 5MT $17,995
    2.5i 4AT-S $18,995
    2.5i Premium Premium Package 5MT $19,995
    2.5i Premium Premium Package 4AT-S $20,995
    2.5i Premium Navigation/ Satellite
    Radio Package 4AT-S $22,995
    Outback Sport 5MT $19,995
    Outback Sport 4AT-S $20,995
    2.5GT 4AT-S $27,495
    WRX 5MT $25,495
    WRX Premium 5MT $27,995
    WRX Premium Navigation/ Satellite
    Radio Package 5MT $29,995

IMPREZA WRX STI
    WRX STI 6MT $34,995
    WRX STI BBS Package (Silver BBS) 6MT $36,995
    WRX STI BBS Package (Gold BBS) 6MT $36,995
    WRX STI BBS & Navigation Package
    (Silver BBS) 6MT $38,795
    WRX STI BBS & Navigation Package
    (Gold BBS) 6MT $38,795

Link to Subaru Pricing for WRX 09
    cars101.com
    For an MSRP of a little over $26K I can get a 5-door WRX with lots of interior room, and it will do 0-60 in 5.4 seconds?

Dang. :surprise:
    Interesting that the sedan costs less now. In the last generation the wagon was cheaper.
    It was an anomaly. Wagons cost more to manufacture (more metal and less volume) and are always more expensive than sedans. Hatchbacks are sometimes less (Europe), but only when they are smaller than sedans and aimed to sell in larger volumes (Euro Astra, Golf/Jetta, Yaris, etc.).

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    Actually, the new Impreza hatch is about 10" shorter than the sedan..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

So anomaly again? ;)

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    I've called a few Subaru dealers and the salespeople say "60-90 days." Huh? It's september...
  • robm2robm2 Member Posts: 53
    Subaru (in Canada) has their 2009 Impreza pricing and specs up on their website, (subaru.ca)
    My dealers say mid-to-late September, slow at first.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

I was at my dealer yesterday and there were a number of '08's STI and WRX's left on the lot.

I am not sure if that will impact delivery of the new models or not, but 08 has been a slow year for cars.
    So I'm stuck on which to buy, an 09 wrx or an 08 sti.... I talked to a dealer and their quote is at $31K before tax and lic., this is with a $5k off the msrp. Does that sound like a good deal to anyone or you think it may get better once the 09 come in?
    It depends how much time you have. Subaru is always slow in supplying new cars at first, so for next few months dealers will play "hard to get" game on '09 WRX. Unless you have a deal like VIP, expect to pay close to the sticker. No incentives, not even discounted financing during that period. That's until all those excited people get their new and improved WRX and supplies eventually catch up with sales. 31K for STI seems like good deal, but only if you really want one. That monster power comes at price I'm not willing to pay (and I'm not talking about purchase price) - but that's a personal choice.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

Not for Subaru - they've bucked the trend and sales are actually up.

The Forester was up 73% last month over a year ago. The Impreza is made in the same plant so I'm sure demand for the Forester is squeezing the Impreza.
    Cool thanks for the input. I do have VIP for Subaru so the WRX 09 is totally an option, but the STi seems sooooo tempting.
    I got the '08 STI...not knowing there was the new improved '09 wrx model, but when shopping, I really wanted the wrx, but reading all the reviews pushed me into the '08 STI.

I have been doing some good AM weekend driving the last few weeks and really enjoying it. I like this car a lot. I got the same, VIP Pricing, base STI, with factory short throw shifter installed.
    31k for a STI? Sounds like a fabulous deal to me.
    So the Cdn Impreza spec for 2009 is out and it is different than the rumoured US changes. In Canada, the WRX is listed as two trims - 224hp in the base and 265hp in the WRX265. Both are MT only with the moonroof available only on the 265. So the GT auto is not listed as a model option here with the "WRX" (MT 224) taking its place. FWIW, pricing is very good too with the 265 less than the list on my 2004 2.0L.
    Get the STi, the improvements in it over even the 09 WRX are a lot. (HIDs, 6MT, etc)

-mike
    We'll see. I'm sure it's far better. It comes down to if I'm willing to spend so much for a souped-up economy car.
  • rascal99rascal99 Member Posts: 54
    For $31k I would consider it. As far as the $38-40 the press seems to reference all the time, that's just too much, on top of the insurance, fuel and annual gumball tire replacements.
    I will check out the 09 wrx once it arrives. I have never even sat my [non-permissible content removed] in a Subaru before. They just don't sell well here in N. Carolina. It ought to be interesting. Maybe I will love it :0)
    Strange, no auto at all?

And the Forester XT is auto only. :confuse:
    Yep, according to the subaru.ca website, there's no auto.
    I think 40k is too much for it. However I think the press is hyping the 40k price tag. I got mine for $32k ish ++. I was very happy about that price. I am not sure I would have gotten it for 40k.
  • rascal99rascal99 Member Posts: 54
    I agree about the price. What exactly is VIP Pricing? Pricing for existing customers?
    VIP pricing is (amongst others), for people who belong to some organizations that Subaru supports (very wide variety, mostly related to tree hugging and other "progressive" causes - cars101.com page has full list, but IMBA is probably most "politically neutral"). The level of pricing is either "invoice minus incentives plus junk fees" (VIP), or "invoice minus 2% minus incentives plus junk fees" (VIP Plus). Sort of like Employee/supplier pricing in GM. On normal models it is best deal you can get.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

List price doesn't mean much nowadays. It's basically the upper limit before people will say dealers are charging a markup for popular cars.

In rare cases, MSRP is set too low, like with the GT-R, and then the manufacturer raises prices to stop dealer gouging.

I don't think that happened with the STI, so IMHO Subaru set the MSRP at the right level.

It's all a guessing game. Too low and dealers mark them up. Too high and the press has a field day.
    My neighbor's cousin hooked me up with employee pricing. Invoice - dealer holdback on the car + invoice on all accessories.

MSRP...When I got my MDX it was trading for over MSRP...the good news was that they couldn't NOT sell it to me for more than MSRP, they did try, I put my foot down and they backed down...but I had to wait. New ones that were unallocated were going to the highest bidder. Sometime 2-3k over MSRP. I don't feel cheated getting the 2002 MDX at MSRP...still one of the best cars on the road in my opinion.

In today's market with everyone knowing invoice, dealer costs, etc...MSRP seems like a relic of days gone by. We all know how much the car costs to make and deliver. The rest is profit. I don't deny dealers profit, but I wish it was like buying something at target...the car costs 123 and that is what you and everyone pays final. Profit built in. I am happy though that today I am able to get a car armed with huge amounts of information and can negotiate the best price that I feel good about.

I know my dad, that when this car pricing internet revolution broke...wanted to go back to the trusted salesguy who had been selling him cars for the last 30 years "at his best price" to go and tell him a thing or two. Instead he took his business elsewhere. I think of all the people that were clobbered unwittingly over the years at car dealerships and tend to wonder about auto salespeople's ethics...I read the edmunds confessions of a car salesman...whew.
This discussion has been closed.