Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Subaru Impreza WRX

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Yes, it would, though scaled down the same platform would actually be stiffer, since there is less wheelbase and track to flex.

Rear sway bar is easy indeed, I put a bigger one on my Forester for $78. :shades:
  • jeffmcjeffmc Member Posts: 1,742
    My thinking was that we do have the numbers from when the Legacy changed from previous chassis to current chassis, and now Impreza is making that same change, so I thought the Legacy numbers might at least give us a ballpark idea. Specific numbers? Nope... certainly don't have those. :blush: Stats from Subaru often seem quite hard to come by.
  • aaykayaaykay Member Posts: 539
    Most of the Rigidity data from the various publications till date are along the lines of what Edmunds stated in their review:

----------
    The majority of the weight savings comes from a redesigned body structure, which is 45 pounds lighter yet retains the same rigidity as the previous car.
    ----------

Maybe there has been no improvement at all, as in maybe managed to match the rigidity of the outgoing model ? Maybe that is a good reason to not broadcast the specifics ? :D
    Stats from Subaru often seem quite hard to come by.

Actually no. When there is a real improvement, they broadcast it.

When the current pre-08 generation was introduced, they proudly announced that the Torsional rigidity improved by 148% over the prior generation and Bending Rigidity improved by 82%. These are very specific numbers.
    Yeah, but the GC8 fans were whining about a 200 lb weight gain. The 02 model gained a *lot* of weight.
    That's true. But then again, unless you use really exotic materials it is near impossible to improve the rigidity by that much AND keep the lid on weight gain.
    High tensile steel, focusing the weight only where you need it, etc.

I do not think we'll see major gains because the old structure was already very rigid. Look at the structural scores in the various crash tests.

Forester was rated #1 in class even without side curtain air bags, now that's a rigid structure.
    True the IIHS structural scores were all aced by the prior gen with Top rankings, even without side curtains. Plus without door frames, the structure itself had to be super strong to withstand the extreme crash energies....I believe in the pillars (Impreza and Forester), they made extensive use of exotic Boron Steel (heavy, expensive but rigid as the rock of gibraltar).

So maybe when it came to the new version, they simply focused on what weight they could remove from the existing version (reduce cost and weight), without compromising the existing version's rigidity. They say they added High tensile steel but forgot to mention that they replaced the more expensive Boron Steel with it. ;) That was probably why they have been quiet on any rigidity improvements in the new version.
    The crash tests will tell all.

The Forester had re-bar sized metal to reinforce the B-pillar. But it has pillarless windows in the doors. I'm sure the Impreza design was similar.

So the question is, did they remove that reinforcement now that they use door frames?
    I love breaking this photo out....
    The fenders are obviously unfinished, but I hope it gets the WRC cars' cool front fender.
    Well, this should effectively end any suspicion of weight savings coming at the cost of safety. Subaru's US results have mirrored their Australian results.
    Another little tidbit from Australia...

"(Subaru Australia director Nick) Senior said key structural points on all Imprezas are now reinforced by high tension steel, which has increased rigidity and ride comfort."

While we still have no stats, at least we have a statement that rigidity is increased.

Story here:
    http://carsguide.news.com.au/story/0,20384,22326810-21822,00.html
  • lilengineerboylilengineerboy Member Posts: 4,116
    Forester and Outback are pre-wired, harness is there to just plug-n-play. Legacy is not. I thought Impreza wasn't even for the last gen?

Our '05 Legacy wagon was plug-n-play.
    Is there a specific Thule model that I should be looking for, when it comes to the WRX ? Is the one with "Zip Stick" a specific model line ?

I have a Rhode Gear by Yakima 4 bike 1 1/4 receiver mount rack. It works fine, and the trick to making the bikes stable is to have one of the cradles like this - and have the other like this |.

Around here, a lot of WRXs are towing personal watercraft, small catamarans, and rental cargo trailers. It's sad that capability is going away.

Also, tow rating has nothing to do with hitch availability. My friend has a hitch on his Prius for a bike rack, so if that is all you require to suit your needs, I wouldn't worry.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    The new Audi S5 does not have LSDs, neither front nor rear, they have Front and Rear open diffys, it has traction control and stability control both of which are defeatable.

On the rigidity, if it's at least as stiff and the 02-07 why does it have to be even stiffer? The 02-07 increased in stiffness over the 93-01 Impreza.

I have to say if the new WRX drives anything like my 05 LGT Wagon w/5MT it will be great. My car is refined, handles like a champ and brakes well etc. If I push this car any harder than it can handle on the street then I am clearly driving way way to agressively for the street.

I put on Hawk HPs pads on it and just upgraded to 235-45-17 Yokohama AO46 tires from an EVO. This car is just about set now with that combo, and I'm sure the WRX will handle even better since it's lighter and a shorter wheelbase.

Sometime this month I'll be picking one up and trailering it back to our shop for a customer and will be breaking it in for a few hundred miles for the owner so I will be able to give a pretty good review of it.

-mike
    I have to say if the new WRX drives anything like my 05 LGT Wagon w/5MT it will be great. My car is refined, handles like a champ and brakes well etc. If I push this car any harder than it can handle on the street then I am clearly driving way way to agressively for the street.

That really isn't helpful though. A small sporty compact shouldn't drive like a midsized wagon. Gee I really hope my Focus drives like a Taurus...

I put on Hawk HPs pads on it and just upgraded to 235-45-17 Yokohama AO46 tires from an EVO.

Very nice. I am looking forward to upgrading the pads on the Legacy as well, although I think it has one more year on crummy all season rubber. Hopefully then its headed west and I can get summer tires for it.
    No offense but the LGT is not a mid-size wagon by any stretch of the imagination. It drives all the bit the part of a sports car, and I've driven a lot of cars on track. Evos, STis, 911s, you name it I've probably put it through it's paces on a road course, so I'm a bit more than offended that you would think I would make an outrageous comparison w/o backing it up.

-mike
    No offense but the LGT is not a mid-size wagon by any stretch of the imagination. It drives all the bit the part of a sports car, and I've driven a lot of cars on track. Evos, STis, 911s, you name it I've probably put it through it's paces on a road course, so I'm a bit more than offended that you would think I would make an outrageous comparison w/o backing it up.

-mike

EPA page for the midsize LGT Wagon

I am not saying its not a great car, or that is better than the competition (the Focus/Taurus thing was slightly tongue-n-cheek) but it is a midsize wagon that weighs 3500 lbs. I think our non-turbo wagon is the best in its class/horsepower range too.
    I'm also not saying that the LGT isn't a good track companion, I would much rather have the Sentra SER I was driving than the S2000 that was a frisbee on the track, but that doesn't mean the S2000 wasn't a faster car.
    I didn't mean to offend you and agree that the LGT is a great car, but if the WRX/STI isn't better, than why wouldn't I buy a 3 year old obscure Subaru wagon?
    Oh EPA ratings, these are the same folks who do the MPG w/o wind resistance, so their idea of a "mid-size" is not mine at all.

I'm not saying that the LGT is better than the new WRX but since it's based on the same chassis sans the rear suspension, I was merely giving my impressions. The new WRX will likely handle BETTER than my already adequet LGT is the point I was making.

-mike
  • volkovvolkov Member Posts: 1,306
    04 wrx was plug and play. Use it to tow our utility trailer.
    Our '05 Legacy wagon was plug-n-play.

Intersting, they must have added that somewhere along the line. I'm pretty sure earlier Legacys were not. I installed my hitch in 1999 so that was quite a while ago.

Sounds like the newer Imprezas have that harness, too.
    Fantastic news for Subaru. They really needed that.

The Aussie results were good but the 05 Legacy did well there and poorly here, so it didn't matter.

Doing well in both is great. The detailed scores show even more good results, in fact top scores in every single category. :shades:
    A fairly balanced review.

Slight drop in lateral Gs more than made up for by a better slalom. Identical acceleration, too.

They, like me, prefer the new steering wheel.
    The boy & I were at the dealership for a few minutes yesterday, so I took a little time to poke around the Imprezas on the lot. I'm actually good with hatch or sedan, sport grille or regular grille. In general, I thought it was a nice car.

My nitpicks:
    The dash seemed to rise up higher in front than my Legacy, so I felt like visibility was a little worse, but still good. Fabric was nice on the WRX, but didn't care for the Impreza or OB Sport... too soft & seemed to fit a little loosely, like it'd be stretched out after a few years of use. Dash plastics had pleasant colors & grains, but the finish was shinier than Legacy. The metal-look trim isn't faux aluminum anymore - more gold color with shiny specs, so it doesn't look like anything "real". Interior door panel designs looked cheap, particularly in the back. Tilt wheel has a piece of dash plastic below it (not sure why), so when the wheel is tilted up, you can see through the large gap into the footwell. They need to get rid of the plastic underneath, or add some type of rubber seal to block the hole. Knobs were small on an otherwise nice stereo.

Overall, it felt like a slightly cheaper version of the Legacy, which I guess it is now. Unless the $1000-$2000 price difference were crucial to me, I'd still choose a Legacy over an Impreza. I like Legacy's looks better, inside & out. (Can't really imagine Subaru'd want me to like the cheaper model better than the more expensive model anyway.)
  • filodfilod Member Posts: 189
    Anyone who bought the 08 Imprezas want to share their experience? I am considering at least the 2.5i or the Civic right now. Thanks.
  • jholinerjholiner Member Posts: 1
    Have been checking some web sites for prices, options and accessories on 2008 WRX 5 door and found some strange anomalies such as: no sunroof available, no leather seats and only one interior color available regardless of outside color.(Even on premium editions). Also very confuseing about radio choices and which one provides Ipod connectivity as well as outside air temp guage (vital for "deep winter" ski trips). Any insights greatly appreciated.
    The "Limited" package should show up in a year or two. It took several years on the previous generation. I think Subaru just wanted to keep the prices under $30 grand for the non-STI models.

You can get a relative bargain on a left over 2007 WRX Limited if you really want that stuff.
  • dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,165
    These are not anomalies - these are choices Subaru made to meet arbitrary price targets (25K as starting and 30K as ending). Weird configs and inconsistent content - that's what makes a Subaru, a Subaru ;)

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• xyzzerxyzzer Member Posts: 14
    Just got the 5-door WRX with sat nav (in Lightning Red).

Impressions:
    After almost a year of driving an automatic Impreza Outback I forgot how to operate manual. :) Actually there are times when I regret getting one. The traffic around Seattle really makes you want the improved comfort. I guess it will get a while to get used to that again. On the other hand - my wife might never get to that point and I am not sure if the transmission will stand the test of her practice...
    When starting hard from the first gear you better keep your head close to the head restraint or the inertia and the bang will give you a black out :)
    The navigation is pretty cool. Actually even with no satellites in sight it seems to manage by just checking the speed and direction
    The sound is great (both the surround and the engine)
    Looks like Mazda 3, actually a friend said it looks a lot like his old Electric Red BMW 325 - not sure about that, but...
    BMW
    Imprezas
    The clutch feels really deep, like on a big van I drove a few times back in Europe - you need to move your whole leg, not just the foot to fully depress and release
    The inside feels a lot better made than my old 2005 Impreza Outback (especially with the leather finish on the wheel and stick)
    It had more bikeroom inside with the back seats down (measured, not yet tested)
    It is new and unique :)
    One I test-driven before was dark-grayish and had the mirror with homelink and compass. Mine seems to lack it, although probably I don't need it (without a garage and with the GPS showing the direction)

If you have specific questions - ask away...
    Congratulations, my fellow Puget Sounder! :) Nice to see WRX offered in red again... how do you like the color? I think that's the only '08 Impreza color I haven't seen in person. Do you have the SRS WOW stereo? iPod kit? What's your impression of the ride and of body roll? (Body roll seems to be one of the most controversial topics regarding the '08... though its slalom times have been very good.)

Also, you may want to post your purchasing experience, dealership & sale price over at the Impreza WRX STI Prices Paid & Buying Experience thread... there are few '08s out there, so they could really use your experience. Here's a link to it:
    http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.ef17adc?displayRecent
    I love the color, although I would still prefer orange (I have seen something like an orange 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback - a beauty).
    That's the fully loaded version, so I guess the surround sound IS SRS Circle Surround Automotive. No iPod kit and would not be useful, since I'm a Zuner (i just keep it under my elbow - there are now power and audio connectors there)
    Not sure about the body roll - it seems stiffer than my old Impreza Outback, but I have not driven the old WRXes. It feels good enough. I might check it out on AutoX one day. The old one did roll a bit...
    As for the ride... hmmmm... it is sporty :)
    The buying experience was hard. I was dreaming of a WRX/STI Impreza but was not thinking I could afford one. I was picking up my old 2005 Impreza Outback after it was fixed and wanted to test drive the new WRX. A guy at Bellevue Chaplin's Subaru wanted to sell it badly and spent 5 hours talking me into this and negotiating the deal. I left with the deal to pick up the car the next day and an option to cancel everything. Next day I checked with Eastside Subaru and they went down with the price a bit plus gave nice discounts on extended warranty, gap, northwest package and free oil changes for life. Overall it is hard to say what price I paid, because I traded in the old car. On paper it looked like the old car (2005 Impreza Outback Sport, black, auto, 45k miles) was valued at 13500 and I got the new one at about 29500 + warranties, protections, gap, etc. The guy from Chaplin's was really mad when he found out. Especially that they virtually stole the car from their parking lot when it was ready waiting for me to pick up.

Can't compare it to anything I have driven before. I would leave that to the pros. My satisfaction is huge. :shades:
    Glad to hear the NAV works even without a Satellite signal.

My Garmin is pretty hopeless without a signal. Great otherwise, though.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    The navigation is pretty cool. Actually even with no satellites in sight it seems to manage by just checking the speed and direction.

How can it work without a satelllite?

Bob
    It has yaw sensors and a speedo, so it can tell if you continue in one direction.

Good example - driving under a tunnel. I actually recall the 2006 loaner I had didn't lose signal and freak out driving through Baltimore the way a portable does.
    Interesting. Is that true for all/most built-in original equipment NAV units, and not true for for all/most portable aftermarket NAV units?

Bob
    I'm not sure. But I did notice that even in the 2006 Tribeca.

That's often cited as one big advantage of built-in systems.

It may be inconsequential. When you're in a tunnel, you have nowhere to go but straight. You lose a signal, but so what, it's not like you can take a wrong turn and go swimming with the fishes. :D

Still, it may annoy some people.
    But are tunnels the only place you might lose a signal? What if the satellite(s) are not in range for some reason? For example, I notice that from time-to-time I will lose an iTunes radio station on my MAC, and I have to switch stations in order to hear music. Can that happen with a GPS? Could it happen where you might have road choices open to you?

Bob
    You get a weak signal if you are surrounded by high-rise buildings, but my Garmin can usually compensate.

I have an older model. It can take a little while to obtain the signal the first time. I don't have a problem with losing a signal once I get going though.

Besides a tunnel, I also lose signal in a covered garage, but again, I'm not relying on the GPS at that time.
    The manual states:

"Self-contained navigation is a system that detects the vehicle's position by calculating the vehicle's driven distance and turning angle th(r)ough the use of various types of sensors that are mounted on the vehicle."

So the direction is detected by driving with the wheels turned as well and it works in the underground parking lots! :)

Of course not that you would need that, but there are underground parking lots where you could get lost and as people stated - you can lose the signal anywhere. If not for these anyway the positioning would not be so detailed and smooth - the GPS I have with my MapPoint tends to teleport me from place to place where the visibility is limited giving the annoying "off route" warnings...

I wonder what would it look like if I started drifting in that underground parking... ;)
    A Zune user on the Eastside? What're the odds of that?! :P

Hey, thanks for posting up your answers... good to read you're so satisfied w/your new WRX. From your videos, it looks like you had a lot of fun w/your Outback Sport, so this should be a real blast. :D
    Drifting would probably make the GPS go nuts! :D
    Here in NYC they have GPS Transponders in the tunnels. My Garmin only loses signal for me when travelling on the lower level of our bridges. I dunno what sky scrapers would block the signal, as I live in NYC and never have a problem with signal. The "Gyroscopic" sensors in the built in units are cool but not necessary IMHO.

-mike
    In addition to canyons, steep valleys, and high-rise environments, perhaps in more northern latitudes it's harder to keep contact w/the satellites since they're lower on the southern horizon and therefore more easily blocked. Dunno, but that's my guess. :) I'm assuming the heaviest satellite coverage is over the heaviest population areas, and I've read that coverage ranges from 8 satellites in continuous line of sight in some latitudal zones, to 5 in others. You need 4 satellites for accurate GPS tracking, so in some zones there's not as much backup coverage if something's blocking line of sight.
    The navigation is pretty cool. Actually even with no satellites in sight it seems to manage by just checking the speed and direction.

How can it work without a satellite?

The term is dead reckoning, and it uses your last known position and the sensors mentioned (speed, heading, pitch/yaw or steering wheel angle) to determine position.
    The algorithm is designed to switch back and forth as it needs to - satellites are preferred but dead reckoning can work intermittently as necessary as well.
    Its pretty amazing how far these have come. When we were doing interface evaluation on the Magellan 750 Nav (better known as "Hertz Neverlost" there were limited connections to vehicle information.
    Now some handheld models include position sensors for dead reckoning: Garmin StreetPilot 7500
    That's cool, mike.

I have the older C series models, the newer ones have SIRF technology and quicker/better reception. I'm sure that helps.

It's never really been a problem, just some times it can take a minute to establish the original signal when I power it on.
This discussion has been closed.