Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tundra Real World MPG Numbers

2»

Comments

• ezydriverezydriver Member Posts: 15
    I use a fully calibrated "ScanGuage." At 55 mph the Tundra gets 23.0 MPG and at 65 mph it gets 20.0. I get a lower MPG when there is alcohol in the fuel , 10 to 15% lower. The best MPG seems to be when name brand fuel is used with Shell gas the best. Hills have no effect as long as I start and finish at the same elevation, ( I have an electronic altimeter). I drive very gently - for example The front brake pads have been changed once and now at 190,000 miles i will replace the rear drum brakes soon. Timing belt was changed at 160,000 miles.
    (K&N air filter and Full synthetic oil and transmission fluids from day 4)
  • oke3oke3 Member Posts: 2
    here is a link to a great site for real world mpg. http://www.fuelly.com/car/toyota/tundra
  • truckwannabetruckwannabe Member Posts: 6
    so is it worth it to add a dual exhaust system?
  • dewey11dewey11 Member Posts: 11
    I had 9 toyota's plus 2 for the kids,never a issue with any of them.I had 2003 tundra 4 8 traded for a 2006 diesel dodge,they gave me 22K on the trade with 65K on clock for the clodge. I just got my title and a week before the trans burned up.3300 clams.Now the ball joints.Diesel is 3.35 to 3.55.Iam sick of putting anymore money in it.I have a 5K TT,I know the tundra can handel the task.Can't wait to purchase my 28 veichle in 45 years of driving.
    DeweyII
  • puffin1puffin1 Member Posts: 276
    edited March 2011
    My father in law left his at my place in Vail. I use it to get wood.That's too bad what a waste.Around Eagle,Vail area staying off I 70 I get 12mpg, Highway maybe 20mpg.No wonder it's only has 5k on it and only 1 yr. old.
    The oldman is a right wing wingnut and covered his NRA sticker with a sign sayin' 12mies a gallon.
    I left it in Vail with a tarp over it as we are back East. He could of bought 2 round trip tickets to fly into Denver .I put 31 gallons in it and it cost me $105.24 @$329.9 just to go 380 miles. :sick:
  • tundra13tundra13 Member Posts: 1
    I CAN TELL YOU THIS SINCE GAS IN ANN ARBOR , MI WENT TO ALMOST $4 A GALLON I WORK ABOUT 56 MILES ONE WAY. I LEFT HOME 1HR AND 15 MIN EARLY AND I DECIDED TO TAKE MY LONG WORK COMMUTE AT 60 MPH AND I GOT 19 MPG. WELL THEN I SAID TO MY SELF HELL WHAT WOULD I GET IF I DROVE BACK HOME DOING 55 MPH. SO I DID THAT ON MY WHAY HOME REMEMBER SPEED LIMIT IN MI IS MIN OF 55 MPR AND ON MY WAY BACK HOME WHICH TOOK ME ONLY 15MIN MORE TRAVEL TIME TO GET HOME AND I GOT A GREAT 22 MPG. SO THERE IF YOUR NOT IN A HURRY TO GET WERE YOU WANT TO BE THEN IT GREAT FOR THE WALLET AND THE TUNDRA.
  • seanportseanport Member Posts: 3
    edited October 2011
    I have a 2000 Tundra 4.6L with a K&N and have used full synthetic for the past 50K, I have 108K on the truck now. I was getting 17.5 in mixed driving (mostly highway at 70-75 MPH). After I had the timing belt changed and new plugs, my MPG have gone down to around 16.5 on average with the same driving conditions. The engine feels like new, runs like new, but I am just not happy with the MPH after the "tune up" which feels like a tune down to me...that was around 18K ago...
  • solerisoleri Member Posts: 4
    Come on guys, all you tundra owners need to quit lying to yourselfs. I accepted & came to terms with the mpg my Tundra gets. Here's the figures driving it like theres an ege between the gas pedal & the floor. 11 city 14.7 hwy. This is horrific! I thought something was wrong till I talked to a Co. worker that had same truck. SAME MPG numbers. And dont go by that dumb computer on the dash. Toyota put that there to make us feel better. Calculate at the pump. "miles driven divided by gallons of gas used". Only way to get tru figures. Im going back to my 86 toyota 4 banger. Never let me down and get 23 on the hwy all day long, and is a lot funner & easier to work on. Accept what you get, you'll feel better after. Id sell while you still can before gas goes up anymore. Mines worth less than half of what I paid for it after only 55,000 miles. Just my 2 cents worth guys.
  • todyodatodyoda Member Posts: 2
    C'mon MAN !
    Did any one here by a 5.7 V8 because of it's stellar fuel economy ? Nuh !
    Don't get me wrong i wish my Tundra got 25 mpg and still hauled butt like it does but I never bought this truck for it's econmical milage. I bought it 'cuz the engine is AWESOME and it's a Toyota , my 11th and nairly a problem yet with any of them . And if there ever was they were on it like flies on smell!
    My buddy bought the new Silverado and thought he was going to get 22 mpg as advertised with the 5.3 VCM engine and he is doing no better than me on mpg and i have 100 more hp and way more GRUNT. And mine hasn't brocken down like his has 3 times in the first year.
  • todyodatodyoda Member Posts: 2
    Can anybody tell me ( for certain ) if there is a tire size i can increase to that will work on my stock 20' rim to get rid of the miniscule sidewalls it has without lifting the truck?????
  • truckguytootruckguytoo Member Posts: 1
    My truck is a 2011 TRD non Rock Warrior, now with approx. 8k mls. on the odo. The best the on board com. has said is 17.1, with the worst being 15.9. Actual real world best was 19.1, worst was 16.1. Checked it yesterday with a calculator and very little highway miles on that tank 18.3. I am in the process of slowly starting to pull the rpm's up to 5k+ for a clean break in, but I don't consistently abuse it. The fuel has been branded 87 and 89 octane ethanol fuel. When I'm on the highway I don't try to set speed records 65-75, and no cap or tonneau cover, also not loaded. You can believe it or not, I don't care.
    Why the low or high numbers for people ? I presume maybe good tires and good habits equal high numbers, or bad tires and bad habits equal low numbers.....
  • jperry1221jperry1221 Member Posts: 1
    I recently bought a 07 CM 5.7 and took it on trip. I used premium non-ethanol gas and achieved 19.9 mpg. Drove on interstate between 67-70 mph, then drove 3 days around town and drove halfway back home on the same tank with about 1000 lbs in the bed. I was pretty impressed with the mpg. If I wouldn't have drove it in town for those few days, I think I could have easily gotten 20+ mpg.
  • reliable3reliable3 Member Posts: 1

Just got home from a trip to Forida-865 miles. '08 Crewmax 5.7 2wd. Took rt.1 for first tank of fuel, did the speed limit, drove gently, multiple small towns and through cities, got 20.1 mpg. Second tank- I-95 with cruise set at 65mph (GPS verifies) 21.4 mpg! Third tank- Bumped speed up to 70mph, and mpg dropped to 17.8 on half tank, and then secondary roads to home, and averaged 18.2- foot got a little heavier :) On my way to Fl, I drove hard with cruise set 10+ over speed limit 75-80mph and several full throttle blasts up to speed limiter (115mph) and several long stretches near 100 with a group of hotrods- averaged 15.6mpg. I've owned and/or driven virtually every brand and type of light duty truck sold in the U.S. and Canada including several diesels- NONE of them EVER came close to matching this trucks all around performance- including gas mileage. If you are going to make comparisons- make sure you're comparing the same thing- and by the way ignore the domestics weight and tow ratings- they make up their own-Toyota is the ONLY one that uses the D.O.T. standards. Buy AMERICAN- Buy a TUNDRA!

• jessie_rjessie_r Member Posts: 2
    edited January 2014

@reliable3 said:
    Just got home from a trip to Forida-865 miles. '08 Crewmax 5.7 2wd. Took rt.1 for first tank of fuel, did the speed limit, drove gently, multiple small towns and through cities, got 20.1 mpg. Second tank- I-95 with cruise set at 65mph (GPS verifies) 21.4 mpg!

Looks like you beat the rated mpg doing 65. A few other MPG threads are showing lower numbers than yours (on average), but I didn't see a mpg rating for your particular year, at least on edmunds. Do you know your years mpg rating?

@reliable3 said:
    Buy a TUNDRA!

amen

• tundraowner2tundraowner2 Member Posts: 1

Last week I was contacted by my local Toyota dealership who informed me that my 2005 Toyota Tundra had a recall issued for frame rust due to poor quality material. I love my truck and this news was not well received. I was informed that the service department would lift the bed and inspect the rear frame for small holes caused by rusting and if holes were present they would need to replace the frame and if not present they would clean frame and spray with a rust protector. I took my truck in a few days ago and was informed yesterday that my frame was in good shape no holes found due to rust and that they had cleaned the frame and applied the rust protector which would need to set up overnight and I would be able to pick it up today. I picked up my truck today and was told everything was in good shape and my truck went thru a toyota multipoint inspection. Prior to driving off the lot I looked at the undercarriage / frame and noticed the rust protector material was still wet. Wasn't sure if it was simply the sheen of material so I touched the frame and it was not tacky but still wet? After wiping the oily like substance from my hands I asked the Service manager to take a look and make sure the job was done. He also touched the frame and the oil like substance and informed me that it should have setup over night but not to worry because Toyota will warranty the frame for life with the protector on. He told me to check it in a couple days to see if it gets tacky and if not call him. I then noticed my left side bed flare was damaged / scratched badly and he reviewed and told me to contact him in a couple days for the loaner car and he would have my truck repaired. Very disappointing service from Toyota. I regret taking my truck in for the recall work now and if had it to do over again would have inspected frame myself. I was left feeling like they just wanted to get it done and get it out the door without any regards to Quality. I will be taking my Truck elsewhere for service in Greensburg.