Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen Beetle Transmission Problems

Comments

• sunshine0966sunshine0966 Member Posts: 2
    I found out that there is no transmission dipstick, the only way for them to check the transmission level is to let it cool for 24-48 hours (means being without a car) and they still wont be able to fix the slipping in the slipping in the transmission.. I have almost been rearended 3 times, and have taken my car into the dealer 6 or 7 times and they still can not fix the problem, I have taken pictures of brackets to show the dealer, they said it was a computer fault. LOL.. since they have done a recall on 2009 and 2010 models of the EOS, with the exact same problem I hope they can not fix my car - Good Luck
  • bughaterbughater Member Posts: 7
    I have an 04 New Beetle Conv. GLS. Like everyone else, I just had to have it. Little did I know. VW needs to do a recall on the transmissions among other things. My transmission continues to jerk and not come out of third gear. THe check engine light will come on and then the "brackets" come up on the gears and it will not tell me what gear I am in. This seems to be common. It contiues to down shift very hard and slips going up into gears. Sometimes it changes so hard into 2nd gear that I will "bark the tires". When the brackets are on the dash, when I go to stop, I have to pull the car over and turn it off to reset before it will come out of 3rd gear. This is so much trouble and a headache. All VW will do is say you need a transmission for $6,000. They don't even know what the problem is at the dealership. THe car has feel in price so bad that they are not worth anything anymore. They need to do a recall very bad. I wonder if there is anything we can do as VW owners that would light a spark that would make them do a recall. Anyway, just to name a few problems more, I have had 3 windows break and require a regulator. My total cost $750.00. My seatbelt latch broke causeing my airbag light to come on $220.00. The battery was $146.00. Some many things in the inside like cupholders and small thingshave broke. The VW dealer also break the front(i guess you would call it a samll grill on the bottom) of my car while pulling it in. I have had 7 headlights and once the entire light assembly fell out while driving down the interstate. There again another $200.00. I am so tired of everything breaking on this car. I just wish someone would listen and help everyone with these problems. I have also called VW's main headquarter's. There again, I am sorry about your trouble BUT!!! we can't do anyting without a recall. Does anyone know of some relief?? I take very good care of my car and its seems to always be something. Help!!!!!
  • brut4orcebrut4orce Member Posts: 7
    Don't be surprised that other Car Makers are also just as bad in some sense.
    Honda has been just as bad for issues. I also have VW Beetle and it appears as soon as the car is over 1 year old all manufacturers treat you like a second class citizen. They never want to look at anything without paying some fee.

It just sounds like a monopoly... Everyone is out to make a buck.

I can't imagine why it would take $900 to open and look at the issue. Don't they charge by the hour... about $80/hr.. so that is more the 11 hrs of work. I can't imagine that it takes that long to open the car to see what is wrong with it.

Crap - Oh it daylight robbery...
  • lb4321lb4321 Member Posts: 1
    I drive a 99 Beetle and when it gets hot the brake light flashes makes a beeping sound. I dont know what it is and I was wondering if anyone else has this problem.
  • trannybugsmetrannybugsme Member Posts: 1
    My daughter has a 2004 New Beetle with 60,000 miles on it. Same problem as most, with jerking, shuddering, lurching, etc.
    Brought into dealer last week, and I was told it needed the non-servicable transmission replaced. To the tune of $6,500.00 plus! Of course, my service person told me "off the record", that there is an "issue" with the transmissions.
    I have done lengthy research, and there are no recalls, etc., in the works by Volkswagen of North America.
    This has nothing to do with the temperature sensor in the transmission, which could lead to the warning light showing up on the dashboard. That is another problem, and is currently being addressed by Volks of N. America.
    There are also currently no class action lawsuits in regards to the transmission problems. There needs to be one.
    I have contacted an attorney and he is willing to assist, if I can show him that there are numerous problems out there.

If you are willing to assist, please email me @ trannybugsme@comcast.net.

Thanks, John R.
  • kokomotwokokomotwo Member Posts: 1
    I am presently in Mexico on a short getaway, and I have a leak under the hood, it doesnt appear to be the oil, so I thought I would check the transmission fluid. I cant even find a trany dip stick. Help!
    The transmission is a closed system. No way to check or add fluid. Crazy design and causes many problems. Trust me, I am dealing with them everyday.
  • daniel_herbertdaniel_herbert Member Posts: 2
    John,

I purchased a used, 2005, Volkswagen Beetle Turbo GLS for my wife in July of 2008. At the time of purchase, the vehicle had approximately 24K miles, and to date has 32K miles. The four-year bumper to bumper warranty expired in February of 2009; however, the vehicle is still well below the 50K mile warranty threshold. Approximately 7 weeks ago, my wife began complaining that the vehicle was running "rough". The "roughness" she described was an abrupt jolt of the vehicle when attempting to shift gears. We live in Texas, so I assumed that any engine roughness was due to the harsh Texas summer climate. As the weeks progressed, however, the car continued to experience significant issues transitioning from 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears, to the point that I became concerned that a repair job was imminent to prohibit any engine damage. Therefore, we opted to take the car to a well known licensed independent mechanic (BMW, Mercedes, VW, etc.) who we sincerely trust. He evaluated the "bug" on two separate occasions and came to the conclusion that the transmission was in need of a valve stem replacement (approx. $1,500), but that due to the vehicles' low mileage, Volkswagen should be held responsible. He was not positive this would cure the issue, but mentioned this attempt was significantly cheaper than replacing the entire transmission. He also mentioned that in order for VW to take action, I had to present the problem to a VW dealer. After hearing this, we immediately took the vehicle to a local VW dealership so that their technicians could evaluate the problem (even though their mechanics have about 20 years LESS experience than our personal mechanic). I received a call today (10/6/09) from the dealership, who indeed acknowledged a problem, but said there is a slim chance VW would absorb the cost of repair because "we had a small dent in the oil pan." I'm not a mechanic, I'm a pilot by choice and a banker by force, but I cannot comprehend why the small oil pan dent would have anything to do with a [non-permissible content removed] transmission/vehicle. That being said, the service manager is supposedly in contact with "his" VW rep to determine what, if any, cost will be assumed by VW. Hands down the most frustrating car experience I have ever had. I WILL NOT EVEN CONSIDER VW FOR MY NEXT VEHICLE PURCHASE. EVER.

On a global note, after reading many of the reviews on this particular website, I feel that we have a strong case for the shoddy engineering of the VW transmission. In the event that VW declines my request to pay for the repair and labor cost to bring our "bug" back to working order, I will be more than happy to stand alongside you in any type of class-action suit we "ripped off'" VW owners come up with. In my opinion, your product is only as good as your service after the sale. If VW doesn't want to put forth the effort to acknowledge their engineering issues, they can keep their worthless product in Germany.

Sincerely,

Dan H.
  • ethanfethanf Member Posts: 2
    Dan,

Bought an '06 Beetle for my daughter to go to college. Thought we were doing the right thing, putting her in a dependable car. Besides the window regulator problems, interior falling apart, turn signals falling out, etc., we just went past the 60,000 mile warranty by 2k and fried the transmission. The VW service tech wasted no time getting on the offensive. He started our conversation telling me how dirty the car was, how the air filter was dirty and then accused us of having submerged the car as there is moisture in the trans. No suggestion how the moisture got in there, just "decided" we did something wrong. Oh yeah, he also had to mention that the bottom of the car had some dents and bruises! Went the same route as you with VOA & got their patronizing routine.
    Pretty tough decision what to do with it now. Car sells for about $10k. Doesn't seem worth a $7k transmission!
    Please keep me in mind if you here of any class actions.

Ethan Feeney
  • daniel_herbertdaniel_herbert Member Posts: 2
    Ethan,

I'm sorry to hear that you, like myself and many others, have fallen subject to the numerous defects that VW continues to produce. I love the fact that the mechanic blamed you for the damage. It's almost like VW is paying the dealerships and service centers to convince the customer that any defects with the car have been owner induced, rather than facing reality that their cars are well below today's standards.

As for me, the local dealership has our "bug" aka POS, and is charging me a $200 exploration fee to try and determine whether the phantom dent caused any transmission damage, to which I indicated to the service individual that I wanted pictures documenting each step of the "exploration." According to the complete incompetent service individual I have been dealing with, if the dent is found to have caused ANY disruption in the transmission, VW has already stated they will not cover ANY cost. When I asked the service rep if the dent was found to have nothing to do with the transmission, his response, "VW still may not pay for a dime." Furthermore, I had to educate our local dealership as to the VW powertrain warranty. Two individuals told me the vehicle was out of warranty, only to recant their words and tell me the opposite.

I'm currently in a holding pattern as to what steps to take next. If the dealership calls me tomorrow and tells me VW has declined to honor the warranty based on the "dent" in the oil pan, I will more than likely take this to a higher power, i.e. attorney, VW corporate, etc. Enough is enough. VW has a reputation of producing a superior product, but has evidently been caught up in profit schemes while sacrificing quality. I will not, ever, tolerate this mentality.

For whatever reason, I don't feel this battle is over.

Dan
    Wichita Falls, TX
  • buggedout1buggedout1 Member Posts: 19
    I thought I was the only one with these problems. I have all the same problems that many of the 2004 beetle owners have, from the hard drive in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, "gear"; the brackets around the gears; the hesitation after stopping(a scary feeling). I have had the car at a vw dealership, one I really trust, and they also are not sure, but after diagnosis(which was wrong - sensors) they told me I needed a new transmission($5 - 6,000). I also called VW north america - they certainly don't want me to buy another VW!!! Absolutely no help - $750 towards a new car - I couldn't believe she told me this so seriously. So I have called the local AAMCO garage and I will be bringing the car to them next week - the fellow was very helpful and said a rough estimate(without seeing the car) would be probably between $2300 - $3500. I will post what they say. I will definitely join in a class action suit....a car with 88,000 miles should not need a new transmission. This is a recall issue and VW needs to deal with it - it is obvious that many of us vw owners will not be purchasing VW in the future!!!
  • bearhunterakbearhunterak Member Posts: 1
    I wish I read all of these posts before I bought a 2003 Beetle convertible. I bought the used car today, it is so cute and I thought it would be a lot of fun. When running cold the car was fine, after warming up, it started jerking and the transmission is slipping. What a shame.
  • vett77vett77 Member Posts: 1
    Good morning john

I was reading up on what you wrote in regards to your daughters VW beetle , I purchased a new 2005 Beetle for my wife back in 2004 . And for a year now the car is really bad with the transition ( jerking , shifting etc ) I have taken it to the dealer and they told me the transition may need to be replaced the car has 62000 miles its pampered , not a scratch on it in and out it gets serviced regularly that’s why I’m amazed as to why it needs transmition work at 62k miles . Its really upsetting because my wife is in love with that car and will not get rid of it , She was almost rear ended 3 times in the last 2 month due to the car bogging . I wanted to contact an attorney regarding this because obviously VW does not care . Can you help as to what we may need to do or if we can petition something for VW to address this concern ? any ideas ?
    Thanks
    Mario
  • rio1958rio1958 Member Posts: 2
    I am so with you on this. I just took my 2004 VW Beetle into the shop and they informed me that I would need a new transmission as well and they tried to find me a new one but no one has any. I do have over 128K on my car but I don't think that I should have to replace the transmission my transmission was going to cost 7600.00 if I had that kind of money I would just use it for a down payment and buy a brand new car. I really like my car but I am not willing to pay 7600.00 not including labor for new transmission. My cousin works for Fox4 News in Dallas and I am going to print out some complaints and take them to her at lunch maybe they can get the word out on this. I'll keep you posted.
  • rio1958rio1958 Member Posts: 2
    My service advisor told me that I have defective wiring internally and need a new transmission for 7600.00 if that helps any.
  • shouldidebugshouldidebug Member Posts: 2
    I too have become a victim of a faulty transmission. I bought a used VW bug for my daughter last summer...31K miles...I now have 56K miles and the transmission is gone. It breaks hard and has trouble going into 3rd and 4th gear. I also have the brackets around the gears, so it's obvious it doesn't know what gear it's in. My husband was taking the car to a mechanic when it stuck in 3rd gear. I've been given a quote from Greenbrier VW in Va, for over $7100. How can a car with 56K miles, need a new transmission? And what am I supposed to do? I can't buy another car, since I paid cash for this one. I saved for this car for her and now VW and the dealership have struck again...
  • ethanfethanf Member Posts: 2
    Went to the website for the National Highway Transportation & Safety Admin and filed a safety complaint. Slipping in and out of gear is certainly a safety problem. NHTSA can force a recall for safety reasons. File enough of them & who knows?

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm
  • shouldidebugshouldidebug Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the info. I just completed the complaint form on the NHTSA website.
  • tpadelfordtpadelford Member Posts: 33
    I have 41k miles on my 05 Beatle and I am so pissed off that I am told my warranty does not transfer to the second owner. my transmission so they say is going out. Hard shifting and we had it serviced for 361 dollars. there was a code that came up however that said temp sensor not responding, or something to that effect. and a used transmission is 2500 to 3000 and who is to say if you wont have a problem with that one. I called a dealership to make sure about the warranty not belieing the service department I e mailed the finance department. I was called by the sales department asking me what kind of vehical I was interested in. I am pissed Green country has there head in there [non-permissible content removed]. I think I am still in warranty and I want my car fixed this is crap. :mad: ;)
    hey so you went to the link and what did you buy to fix your vw. I have one and want to fix it. please tell us all. you cant just put a link up and not tell us what to do.
    John R>
    Sign me up i am in. I have just begun to have this issue and my 05 beatle only has 41k miles. I would love to hear from you. I have posted a blog telling some of my story.
    Dan
    I have replied to many and now you. My o5 has 41k miles on it and I am the 2nd owner and the service department told me that the warranty does not transfer to the second owner but it looks as though you bought yours used. so now I am pissed they just dont want to deal with it.
  • sadcarownersadcarowner Member Posts: 3
    I too had a problem with my transmission 05 new beetle convertable. I took it in many times and they too could never duplicate the problem. It happened only once in a while. Then I noticed that it happened after I had driven it 5 miles or so. Drove the car around one day until it started happening and drove right to the dealer. Insisted that the service writer join me for a drive- the problem happened and my car was serviced- cost $2000. After 6 months the problem is starting to happen again!
  • sadcarownersadcarowner Member Posts: 3
    Yep same exact problem. Took it in to dealer many times and they could not duplicate the problem and no issues in the computer system. It was getting really bad- shifting up from 2nd to 3rd and on, felt like I was being rear ended when the transmission finally shifted. I have an 05 Turbo Beetle Convertable. Finally took it for a drive and when the issue happened drove over to the dealer. Made the service writer hop in and took him for a ride. My car had only 65,000 miles on it-of course 5000 mile over warranty!!! The problem happened with him in the car and they diagnosed something within the transmission. $2,000 to fix. He told me with all the problems that I have had to buy an extended serivce plan to "protect myself" I did and 6 months later the transmission is beginning to do the same thing! Hopefully I didn't get screwed when I bought the warranty-it is supposed to cover transmissions at least. Good luck-if you are a beetle owner you need it!
    Thanks for the link. I have also posted a complaint. This transmission problem is really becoming a concern and a safety issue with my car.
  • daisybdaisyb Member Posts: 1
    The transmission on my 2002 VW Beetle must be replaced. The car is in otherwise excellent condition and has only 31,000 miles. I have also filed a complaint with the NHTSA . I was told by my VW dealer that the transmissions are encased in steel and it is difficult to repair them. The car belonged to my late sister and I promised her I would always take care of it. From all of the messages I have read this seems to be a common problem.
  • julieandcojulieandco Member Posts: 6
    I'm like everyone else sadly. I just finished paying my 2005 New Beetle Convertible off and now this. It's got 74,000 miles, is out of warranty, and likely needs a new transmission. I've spoken to two local VW dealers and they're quoting me $5700 to replace the automatic transmission. !@#$%^&* dammit.

My problem is that the transmission intermittently has trouble downshifting from third into second gear. It clunks and hesitates and then lurches forward. It doesn't happen all the time but often enough to be very worrisome.

Please contact me about any class action suit. I'm definitely game. I will do the NTSB safety thing, too. THE WHOLE THING REALLY SUCKS.
  • 2005beetle2005beetle Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problem and the dealership told me the fluid was "lifetime" when I asked them to change it. Then, one day, I hit a dip in the road and it bottomed out. I continued to drive but the PRNDL lit up on the speedo and the gear would not show. I have the service plan with the used car lot I bought it at so they towed it but before they did the I called the dealer and he said to check the electrical connection to the transmission which makes sense since I hit that dip and it was probably shook loose. I drove it right up on the flatbed tow truck and then test drove it when they got to the mechanic and everything seemed fine but then it started acting up again so I left if with the mechanic. I'll bet that it is just the electrical connection but they are going to replace it, so they say. They still can't find a used one to put in it... (btw I didn't upload my car's picture so I don't know who's that is next to this message).
  • fphilli1fphilli1 Member Posts: 30
    :blush: I am so glad I read this post, I thought I was going nutz when I tried to check the trany fluid level this morning on my wifes 99 bug. The biggest problem we have had on it was loosing a trany at 56k due to the internal cooler failing putting water in the trany. The car has 70k now and I cannot get the check engine light to go off. Our mechanic has cleared the codes and fixed all the issues it listed. Light went off for about 20 miles and came back on. When it is warmed up it runs great. Good luck I just cannnot believe all the issues with these cars no matter what year they are..........
  • shaunnalshaunnal Member Posts: 27
    Original owner, started with hoses, then I had to replace Water Pump, timing belt, heat sensor, among other hoses....Car has been running rough. Sometimes so quiet I didnt even think it was running but as of lately its DRAMA! Feels like Ive been rear ended when it jerks! Recently did a transmission service that Obviously didnt help things. Only a matter of time before I have to park this car that has 72,000 miles on it, paid off and no warrenty! WOW This is my 3 VW in my lifetime, maybe my last. I did file a complaint with the NH..??? What is the difference in the class action lawsuit and what do I need to do to join in? I cant afford 6000.00 for a New Transmission that I hear from people on here doesnt last either!! Im so disappointed in this car!
    I filed a complaint afew days ago with the National Hwy Transportation & Safety Admin.
    Maybe if we get enough complaints about this we can make VW pay for these repairs!!!!

Here is the web site:

http:/www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm

Lets stop this unfairness!!
    Just wondering if you filed a complaint, any word from them yet. I have also! Someone needs to do something about this!!
    Did you file a complaint about this with the NHTSA?
    Web site : http:/www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm

What do you know about the class action lawsuit? Im feed up with this car that cant even make it to 100.000 miles without major repairs needed!! Thanks
  • julieandcojulieandco Member Posts: 6
    I filed my complaint today. I agree... make sure you file a NHSTA complaint if you're having transmission problems with your Beetle!
  • khathcockkhathcock Member Posts: 3
    I just purchased a convertible beetle and love it...50,000 miles...purchased it from Piedmont Honda Used cars in Anderson, SC suposely had a Palmetto Warranty... Their warranty is NOT ANY GOOD!!!! IT DOES NOT COVER ANYTHING!!!!! The day that I purchased my car we asked about the transmission looked at the car fax info.They had shown it was serviced but no problems..The saleman said.The Saleman is no longer at this site...Due to the service that we have received from this dealership...we have planned to go to Steve White in Greenville to have the transmission checked out. We have problems with it jerking and gearing down sometimes and like many of you have implied...very dangerous at intersections...I would like to join all of you in filing complaints ..I feel that our govenment should do a recall and replace these transmissions.... If this were an American company they would recall immediately and advertise it on the news.... It is a shame that this problem has not been corrected....The car could be the best car in the market place....Let us know what else we can do!!!
    I have the same problem with my beetle that i purchased in 7/09.... Please let me know if the transmission sensor is your problem. My car does not act up all the time but definitely has a problem with the lurching and changing gears... from time to time.....thanks..khathcock
    Hi khathcock, Please file a complaint with the National Transportation so that we can join together and FORCE them to recall this Garbage!! Im so mad! Look at previous posts to see the web site. You will need your VIN number on your car to input that too. Thanks for your help!
  • buggedout1buggedout1 Member Posts: 19
    I have not driven my car in almost 2 months: it has been to a vw dealer - looks like the sensors need replacement - quess what - after fixing them, they realized it was nto the problem - $800 + - I got them to go half with me - it is the transmision!!! oh what a surprize...the car is now at a Aamco garage....very knowledgeable and nice....car has 88,000 miles...this is a recall problem. I have spoken with VW Northamerica - not helpful, however did get a call back from a different department - woman said make sure to save all reciepts! VW says $6,000+ for the transmission - Aamco it will be $4000....I find it interesting that they have just taken in an identical car to mine with the same problem!!! I would like to join in the class action suit if that is still happening. I will also email the transportation department; and the attorney general's office in the state of NH. I cannot afford this cost and can't even trade the car in!!! My expectation is that VW will recall all of these cars and will take care of the problem. good luck to all us,
    Hi Krissy,
    I saw your posting on your bug and was wondering what ever came of the transmission problem/repair. Did you see someone on here talking about a Transmillion Control Module in the dash being replaced to fix the problem? We have filed a complaint with the National Transportation in hopes of a recall. You should also. Thanks
    We love the beetle....and this problem is not everytime actually you never know when it will do this...It is very scarey...and definitely a serious situation could arrive from this. Especially in intersections... I will be registering it on line later today..... If you find someone that really knows how to work on them...we want to know...thanks, katherine
  • gysblondiegysblondie Member Posts: 1
    In June '09 my 2003 VW Beetle convertible with only 64,000 miles on it died...it has been sitting idle since. SOMETHING let loose inside the manual tranny and tore a 3/4" by 2" hole through my bell housing. I am a very conscientious car owner. I bother my husband with all of the noises I hear and closely monitor fluid levels, etc. I have been driving a stick since I learned to drive...so it's not me! I am furious. I waited nearly 20 years to finally get a bug convertible and it ends like this!! I have also had the same problems with windows, headlights, turn signals, etc. All of which were denied warranty work...at first!! But this transmission thing is killing us. We bought the car used and are still paying on this POS that doesn't run. Can't afford transmission job or new vehicle. We are lucky to have nice parents who can loan us a vehicle, but it still SUCKS! I WILL NEVER OWN ANOTHER VW! I will be registering a complaint with the NHTSA today! :lemon:
    I am thankful you found this site and noticed what a Real Problem this is! We are all very frustrated by this. I just recieved a notice from VW today about a Voluntary Emissions Service Action 28F3/p1 Ignition Coil Inspectio/Replacement. So check your mail. As soon as parts come in they will be fixing these. If you already paid to fix this issue there is a reimbursement claim form to fill out. Hopefully with any luck we will Prevail and they will redo this wrong doing!! Im going to be parking mine soon. Sad I cant even trust it to go 2 hours away to the beach for fear I wont make it. Do file your complaint today! Thank you also, Shaunna
    I went on their web site today and noticed you can see the people who have filed complaints about these same issues. I did not see mine up there as of yet, maybe they havent got it done yet....Gives you a better idea of how crappy this transmission problem is.
  • hixxeyhixxey Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 VW New Beetle (77,000 mi.) with the same transmission issues described by folks in this Forum; violent banging into gear when shifting with engine revving between gears while vehicle is in motion. I just filed a complaint with NHTSA and pleaded with them to force VW to have a Recall on this dangerous vehicle component before someone is killed; it WILL happen !!
    There is many problems with these and I am glad to see you filed a complaint as well. I think the value of the car that I bought for 26,000 in 2002 is about the cost of the transmission! Doesnt even make paying to fix it worth the money! This site has been awesome for communicating this problem. However I plan to make flyers and post on other beetle owners in my town! We have to get this taken care of! People need to be aware that their not alone. There is also the plastic water pump part that they installed that is no good, breaking apart. Now they have metal ones. How come that isnt being replaced free of charge? How about the peeling interior on the doors, dash etc....Wow I am so disappointed in the car I grew up loving as a kid!!
  • scottivxxscottivxx Member Posts: 4
    What a drag....my wife's 03 Beetle is doing the same thing. I am just really overwelmed, I see people are getting quotes in the thousands of dollars, all having the same problem. I filled out the complaint form too. I was going to take it to the dealer today but what is the point...4 to 6k. Finally just paid off this thing. what a real POS.
    I have also posted a complaint, but I have went as far as to contact local television news stations. I live in Georgia and I thought by contacting the Chattanooga stations that it might raise an eyebrow since VW is opening a new plant there. Also contacted 11 Alive news in Atlanta. No such luck on anyone returning calls. This is really becoming an issue. My car is starting to do this everyday about 15 miles of driving it. I am so fearful of this car that I feel like I can't drive it very far. I have to travel for work and also drive round trip of 60 mile a day to and from work. I have also had the same problems with the door handles peeling, the cupholder in the back broke the first time my daughter tired to use it, and the window regulators. I have just had another window break on the back driver side (my car is a convertable). This is getting out of hand!!! We all need help and quick! :cry: :lemon:
  • bugblues714bugblues714 Member Posts: 1
    I am the second owner of a 2005 convertible beetle turbo. So, of course no warranties transfer over. When I bought the car it was on a lease and very well taken care of. It came with every annual check up and I was in love with it! About 4 months of driving it to and from work I noticed a slight slip with the transmission. Then the blue light sensor went off. I took it to the VW dealership. They said it was a water pump problem. It cost an arm and a leg to fix but it did nothing for the slip in the transmission! The problem continues to get worse to the point that I no longer drive it further than a few miles. The car has begun jolting between shifts and takes seconds to switch gears. However just a few days ago the car will no longer go into reverse at all! It is parked and no longer driveable! I do not have the $ for a new transmission and am wondering if it's even worth it!? The car is only 4 years old!!!!!! If anyone has any suggestions I am desperate!!! I'm gonna try aamco... wish me luck! I'm gonna need it VW sux! :mad:
  • diannelaughsdiannelaughs Member Posts: 12
    Ok - I read all of these responses before I took my car in, so I was prepared for the worst. Still hoped it was simple.....but NOT. $6,800 for a new transmission. My baby has 80,000 miles on him. Sadly, I love this car. I find myself considering $6,800 for a transmission. LOL However, I will search out independent shops tomorrow to see if I can find a better deal. My tech at VW assures me they will never recall them because it would bankrupt VW to deal with it. He's probably right. None the less, I am keeping my receipts in hopes that one day Santa will show up at my door with a recall notice. :cry:

I know I'm just a girl and everything, but shouldn't you get more than 80,000 miles out of a transmission? Huh? Just seems wrong.......