Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen Beetle Transmission Problems

Comments

• 2saddlehorn2saddlehorn Member Posts: 2
    If you are still going to post to join in somewhere I would like to join in. Can you tell me where you are going to organize your efforts? Facebook? Email? Thanks!
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    The Edmunds forums cannot be used to organize legal actions. Any posts along those lines are removed, so please do not make posts along those lines.

Thanks for your cooperation on this
  • pkbeckpkbeck Member Posts: 1
    I dont know if my problem is transmission or what. I will be driving along and it is like the car dies and kicks back on. If I go below 40 mph it will die. I have replaced O2 sensor, fuel fliter and plugs and wires. Any suggestions? I just got the car a couple of months ago with no warranty.
  • ronvichazelronvichazel Member Posts: 1
    My wife's 2005 beetle convertible has had any and every problem mentioned and then some, lights don't work, window issues (front and rear), valve body and now at 81,300 miles the transmission needs to be replaced. We had the valve body replaced under warranty 6 weeks ago and now the transmission goes out. I called VW's customer assistance after reading where they have agreed to pay for half of the replacement cost of the $5,400 repair only to be offered a $1,500 customer loyalty coupon towards the purchase of a new VW....Really. The regional case manager would not tell me why some repairs are covered and mine is not, he wouldn't give me his last name or his bosses name so I could take this higher. Well I am taking post #700's advice and writing the president of VW of America. I got your Customer Loyalty
  • ibejubugibejubug Member Posts: 5
    Thanks to post#700, we are all having multiple issues, let's hold the President of Volkswagon of America responsible for their HUGE mistake that we are all paying for. If you were a dedicated VW owner and fan like me until your Beetle with the bad tranny and all the other issues, send him a letter and let him know how you feel.
    :mad:
    Jonathan Browning, President, Volkswagon of Americas, 2200 Ferdinand Porsche Dr., Herndon, VA 20171.
  • anniexbelleanniexbelle Member Posts: 4
    which ever comes first, i went to the dealer to have it fixed under warranty and they told me my "transmission pan was smashed" so they wouldnt be able to access the valve body which is BS because now my warranty has passed the 100k mark >:/
  • inettainetta Member Posts: 2
    Ever heard the saying everything that could go wrong....has gone wrong? That describes my beetle. my husband bought it for me, 18 months ago and I loved it. But We've had to replace the passenger window regulators, and the back window has now left the convertible top, AND the transmission is gone! Worst I'm still making payments!!! Volkswagen knows about the window problem and also know the transmissions are junk, but they won't do anything about it. It will cost over 2000 to repair the transmission and another 1,000 to repair the top. I don't want to give this lemon to anyone else. I don't know what to do!
  • jmargaretjmargaret Member Posts: 8
    I have a 2004 conv beetle and the transmission went out at 70,000 miles. I only had car for 3 months. Volkswagon dealers would not cover it. Got a loan for new one. Its been 4 months now and now need fuel enjector. I had tune up an oil change and new plugs etc. Every time I turn around, something new is needed. Never had so many expenses with one car B4. it never ends! Its been a nitemare!
  • jmargaretjmargaret Member Posts: 8
    Does anyone know if this beetle will b recalled? If I need to write somewhere - please let me know. I will.
  • javidiazjavidiaz Member Posts: 4
    All,

After a year and a half with my problematic 2005 Beetle, I finally resolved my issues by unloading it and getting a Honda Fit. In all the Beetle has cost me roughly 5K in repairs. I know many of you having issues with what I believe is the worst engineered car that VW produced, can not just unload their Beetles, and I feel for you. The end result is that VW has earned a bad reputation and justly so. The repairs I experienced were the following all in under 14 months and under 85K miles. On the other hand all the Honda vehicles I own are still running strong.
    1) Window regulators
    2) Temperture sensor
    3) Cat converter
    4) Multiple malfunction sensors
    5) rough shifting
  • vwdoesntcarevwdoesntcare Member Posts: 8
    yes the worst car ever and the VW People will not accept responsibility for their poorly designed car! They need to be held responsible and compensate VW owners with these consistent problems. Since the engine shuts off whenever it feels like and the VW Dealerships cannot find out the problem, we are left to sell it also to some unsuspecting person. Do you want to drive a car that shuts its' engine off whenever it feels like it? Dangerous when it happens on the freeway. VW is waiting until someone gets injured or killed before they do something about it. They may get their wish. Window regulators malfunction, seat belt sensor doesn't work, shift console system needs to be replaced, etc. etc. etc. etc etc..........Can anyone say class action? Thanks for sharing your solution to your poorly made VW!
  • vwdoesntcarevwdoesntcare Member Posts: 8
    Your are one smart person! Congrats on doing some research and making the correct decision and steering away from VW! I wish I could have been like you and read about how horrible their VW New Beetle is but I didn't and not I am one of the many upset owners that want to have VW accept responsibility for their nightmare. I am happy to hear that this forum is causing VW to lose customers and $$$$!
  • wednesday05wednesday05 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem with my 2005 conv beetle. I've only had it for 3 months, bought it used at 43,000 mi. It's insane... they told me the transmission intermittent gives an error and they have to replace it. It will cost me $5k!

I'm so disappointed.
  • wildcatfeverwildcatfever Member Posts: 1
    My wife has a 2003 New Beetle Diesel with automatic transmission. It has 64000 miles and the transmission went bad. A local, the best transmission mechanic around, did a complete rebuild on the transmission. When he checked the transmission he found a lot of metal shavings in the pan.

I have talked with other Beetle owners that have had many problems. Some of them have paid out a lot of money for repairs.

I am 77 years of age. In my lifetime I have purchased many autos and believe me the Beetle has give us much much more problems than any auto we have ever owned . We have paid out a lot of money on repairs.

This is one of the many problems that was very aggravating - Two different times we could not get it to shift out of park. A certain switch went bad and the factory did take care of one of the switches.
  • javidiazjavidiaz Member Posts: 4
    I agree it was the worst vehicle Ive ever owned, The only things I can really recommend is to file a small claims lawsuit in your state and try to recoup some of your losses, but faulty transmissions are difficult to prove. Another is to crank up the bad publicity VW deserves for this vehicle model. If you have social network accounts such as Twitter, Facebook, etc let everybody in your circle know (Its does make a difference) and also send a link to VWOA (Volkswagen of America)every time you post negative comments on them.
  • steelersfan5steelersfan5 Member Posts: 1
    I have been searching the web, and found a ton of people talking about the same issue with the 2004-5 New Beetles shifting issues between 1-3rd gears. I also searched the recall website (no recalls on this), but when I looked under complaints registered, only 1 was listed. It would be a good idea if everyone that had any issues with these year Beetles wee to post their complaints. It might just force a recall, and get money reimbursed to those who already paid. The link is: http://www.safercar.gov/
    I am constantly commenting on VW USA's facebook page. WHenever they bring up what a nice day it is and who is driving their convertible or now that they are promoting the mew "New Beetle"
  • 2saddlehorn2saddlehorn Member Posts: 2
    You can post the VW Beetle complaints at this link at NHTSA's site (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration):
    http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/complaints/
  • cutepiececrapcutepiececrap Member Posts: 8
    I'm going to write to the President also and encourage all of you who own this piece of crap Beetle. Doubt it will do any good, but needs to be done anyway. Mine is a 2004, and not only did the transmission go at 75,000 miles but both back windows broke, the convertible doesn't go up or down anymore, and now front driver window is broken. Unreal. VW? Never ever again.
    edited September 2012
    Kevin Mayer, VP of Marketing for VW is starting a "Why VW" campaign. I think we should let him know "WHY NOT VW"!

http://why.vw.com/stories#/stories/show/id/2071
  • snosinglesnosingle Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 VW Convertible and just learned of my transmission problems. It is going to cost $2,500. I still owe $10K on it. It is at 80K for mileage. I really am not sure what to do. I have some folks telling me to get rid of it and trade it in and others to get it fixed. I am not a mechanic so I am relying on friends/family advice. It seems from reading this forum that this is a common problem. Would love to hear advice from folks on here. Anyone have any luck contacting the manufacturer?
  • aeeaee Member Posts: 1
    I can't get the drop down menu of the "Affected Parts" on the form work as a result the complaint won't go through. Same problems here.
    a). Automatic Transmission sticks both going up and down.
    b). Window regulators failed.
    c). Steel rims are of so poor material that they bend and split.
    Worst car!
  • beetlebug212beetlebug212 Member Posts: 2
    I have an 06 beetle Conv. I have 85000 miles on it and the transmission is gone. I was told that it was going to be 6000.00 dollars to fix it. I can't afford that and I still owe 2500 on it. This seems to be an issue and I am not the first one to have this issue. I feel I wasn't informed that this was an issue. I have had one other beetle and had a small transmission issue. I told 2 of my friends how good the Beetle was and they bought them on my word, now I don't know what to tell them. The dealer told me that they just sell the product they wouldn't back it up. needless to say I was very disappointed in this reaction. Wow what a let down. I think that VWA needs to fix the issue.
  • angrybeetleangrybeetle Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2003 VW new beetle convertible with an automatic tiptronic transmission. Recently , at random times, when shifting between 3rd and 4th gear the engine would rev up past 4000 rpm and jump into gear. Essentially a very hard shift. With plans to keep this vehicle for many years to come, I immediately took the vehicle to a trusted mechanic. After test driving and experiencing the "hard shift", I was informed that it was most definitely transmission related, however, only VW can access the transmission due to the fact that it is completely sealed. The vehicle was taken to a David Maus Volkswagen of Orlando for the diagnostic. I was informed that the transmission was "coming apart from the inside" and that it was a "ticking time bomb". Because the vehicle is over 100000 miles , it does not fall under the transmission valve body recall. The repair cost for a new transmission is $6000.00. I feel that this is gross negligence on the part of Volkswagen of America, to knowingly place this vehicle with such a major defect on the marketplace. I now have an unusable hunk of scrap metal sitting in my garage for fear of the time bomb under the hood. I refuse to drive this car and potentially put others lives at risk. Volkswagen needs to be held responsible for KNOWINGLY putting a car with such a major defect on the road.
  • bad04beetlebad04beetle Member Posts: 3
    We had no choice.....have put approximately 3500.00 in repairs the past 3 years. The transmission is gone at 68,000 miles. Lost 1000.00 on the trade in. I did email Jonathan Brown with all of my concerns. Did receive a phone call from a very nice customer service rep, had no offers to "do the right thing" just listened to all of my concerns. I told her I would NEVER purchase another VW. I myself have been a long time Honda owner...my daughter is now driving a new Civic. So sad, this little bug was her dream car!
  • beetlebug212beetlebug212 Member Posts: 2
    I feel that we need to do something before more people get screwed. I think that we as a group maybe need to go after VWA. The transmission is one of the most expensive parts of a car to have fixed and this is a poor design and I know VWA knows this.
  • largosladelargoslade Member Posts: 2
    Hello!

I have the same car I bought for my daughter and the transmission failed at 60,000 miles and I wrote about the experience I had getting it repaired through an extended warranty I purchased when I bought the car. Here is your only hope at getting VW to help you. The transmission has an extended warranty of 7 years / 100,000 miles. If your car falls within 7 years as long as it was put into service after today or anytime until the end of 2012. My daughter's car was put into service in September 2004, which was why I missed VW's warranty. I was glad to have purchased and extended warranty so mine was repaired at a minimal cost. I hope this helps you-good luck.
  • andie5andie5 Member Posts: 1
    I too have been taken by Volkswagen...mine lasted 100,000 k and now I am told I need a new transmission...$6,000. I loved my 2005 Beatle convertible. I will never look at anther vw..and I hope others think twice about a company that does not stand behind their products.
  • amber_roseamber_rose Member Posts: 1
    I also have a VW Beetle Convertible. Replaced Trans at 65,000. The electrical is completely messed up windows, drop top, interior light even the gas cover doesn't work. Seriously, I could go on and on I've put upward of $6000 into this car and everything is still broke down. Its always something with this car and I cant even express the frustration it has brought me! Getting a new catalytic converter next week, after just replacing the Oxygen sensors... hoping it will buy me enough time to get this POS paid off. After that I will replace the axel boots for the second time. I can't believe the amount of complaints I'm reading here, surely there has to be a way as a group, to get VW to be held responsible in some way for the failure of manufacturing???? :lemon:
  • malbrecht1malbrecht1 Member Posts: 2
    Actually I started this thread and VW responded positively and helped with $'s, I know this is not common and may not happen for anyone else but mocking people for posting or sharing ideas and frustration is not necessary.
    Let's stick to the cars and not talk about each other here please.

Thanks for your cooperation and participation
  • turnerluceturnerluce Member Posts: 2
    What steps did you take to get VW to pay for the repairs. I will send their President an e-mail but I don't expect that to solve much. Perhaps I should send him an e-mail everyday... ;)
  • nancyannenjnancyannenj Member Posts: 2
    I went to consumer affairs in my county. It took three months but VW fixed everything that was wrong with car including replacing the valve body which was the main complaint. The dealership went above and beyond. Good luck but don't count on VW fixing it without outside help. Thewoman from consumer affairs really haunted them.
  • cpencarinhacpencarinha Member Posts: 1
    I'm amazed at the comments about the VW Beatle. I really am disappointed in my car. Apparently the problem is more difficult because I have a diesel and I have a 6 cylinder. I also need a Valve Body transmission repair job that going to cost plenty. If you need my info for a lawsuit against VW let me know.
    The Edmunds forums cannot be used to organize legal actions, gather contact info for lawsuits, pass along attorney information, link to lawyer's websites, etc. Posts along those lines will have to be removed so please avoid making them.

Thanks for your cooperation and participation
  • sbickford26sbickford26 Member Posts: 1
    i totally agree i just bought a vw bug a coupl months ago and my car shirted hard i paid 2000 to get it fixed not the transmission but another part worked for 2 weeks now shifting hard again.i thnk we should contact a laywer and get a case agiast vw
  • dickerindickerin Member Posts: 1
    We can't discuss all automotive issues? What other restrictions are there for Edmunds forums?
    How the forums are administered is not something we can go into here, but if you have a question about the rules of the road for the forums, please feel free to click on my username and drop me an email.
  • gabbymcgeegabbymcgee Member Posts: 1
    I had the exact same issue with 2005 VW Beetle. It would ride just fine until it started to warm up, then it would begin to act up and jolt when it shifted. The dealer in my hometown said that it was the transmission and woul dcost about 5 grand to repair. No other mechanic will even touch it because of the type of transmission it is. Any ideas??
  • gorjess87gorjess87 Member Posts: 2
    Just toss the car over a bridge! VW's are garbage...lesson learned the hard way.
  • turnerluceturnerluce Member Posts: 2
    We bit the bullet after doing the math on the cost of a used car/new car/lease. It was cheaper to get the transmission repaired. Very hard check to write.
  • elenewlifeelenewlife Member Posts: 21
    I was one of the very first people on here about four years ago complaining about these lemons. My trans went at a ripe old 8,800 miles with its bumpety bump and halting way of going if God forbid I was caught in traffic or ANY time the car got hot. Shook all over like it was having a seizure. You had to stop car because you couldn't shift. In the beginning I had it towed - to VW of course. They KNEW they had transmission problems right off the bat - the valve assembly was it? Can't remember the name now. It was for clutch. I wdnt fix. They wanted ME to cover because clutch wasn't part of drive train? I said stick it. Drove car knowing its' limitations. Finally 85,000 it seized up and HAD to be replaced. I did that and haven't had a problem since.

I have heard in the interim they warranteed the valve body? Never heard a word about that but it IS reimbursable. VW pays the whole bill so if you're having trans problems they are NOW Covering it but they won't volunteer the info!!! You have to contact VW yourself.

Me? I've also never had a set of headlights that work. Another structural 'oops'. Spent thousands and one is always out. Drive up a highway at night and see how many others are just like me - we 'wink' at each other!!

Do the only complaining that counts: report it to the NTSB.

Mine now has 160,000 miles. Drive was there's nothing like it. But VW screwed us ALL on this car! And I've been a loyal customer over 30 years. Shame on you VW!!!
  • buggedout1buggedout1 Member Posts: 19
    It has been a long time since I have replied to this VW issue. Without, once again, writing my complaints, I will let you know that at 88,000 miles, AAMCO was terrific - replaced the transmission and had to redesign some part. With all this hype about VW Super Bowl commercial, it is bringing my anger out at them. I WILL NEVER buy another one of their cars and still wait in hope of receiving $ for my car(I know a dream). I still have the car, 130,000, window drives me crazy, my mechanic fixed the solution for the headlights. VW did all of us wrong.
  • bad04beetlebad04beetle Member Posts: 3
    We got rid of the car! Just couldn't justify putting 5-6000 in a 9 year old car....I spoke with the marketing secretary of the VW president....there was absolutely no offer....just a I'm sorry to hear of your troubles......

My daughter now has joined the Honda family...will never own another VW EVER!!!!!!!!

Btw saw a dead "bug" on the side of the road this week..... Just makes me sick ....
  • tpadelfordtpadelford Member Posts: 33
    The dealer is about right 3500 or so for a rebuilt/remanufactured transmissionand 1000 to 1500 in labor the only thing to try is to replace sensors for a few hundred first. then if that doesnt work move onto the valve body for about 100 to 1500. if that doesnt work then replace transmission about 5k. basically your screwed. you could try to file a comprehensive claim with your insurance company. pay deductible get a new transmission. doubt it will work but id give it a shot. i think id try to sell the car if that didnt work and pawn it off on the next guy. unless there is an accident where the car is suddenly totalled and you can get another car . anyway good luck your screwed like the rest of us. we got lucky with a comprehensive claim but the only reson for that is they put the wrong fluid in the transmission when they tried to flush it out to see if that would help. i noticed the wrong fluid type on the reciept after crossreferencing the part number for the type of fluid my car took on line. dont even know why i did that but got really really lucky.
  • speedshifter65speedshifter65 Member Posts: 1
    After owning this car since Feburary 2000 I have suddenly come up with a serious problem. Last week I noticed a puddle of oil under the car. When the weekend hit I got the car up on ramps and tried to find the source of the leak. I could see the oil running onto the skid plate but could not determine where it was coming from. I called my service center and they told me to get it to them to find the problem. The service center was 50 miles away so I had a tow service take it for me (cost of $255). That day I was told that they couldn't tell, without taking the transmission out, what the problem was ($700 to pull tranny). Upon getting the transmission out they told me the case has a hole that is the source of the leak. Apparently a pin in the output shaft had started working its way out and had grooved a hole in the case. The technician suspected this before he pulled the transmission but couldn't verify until he pulled the unit. I have 145,000 miles on car and haven't had any problems until this time. VW America told me that since the car was 13 years old that its life was probably over but offered $750 toward the purchase of a new car.(Whoopie) cost to repair is $4800 on a car I've bought twice and paid off twice. I have enjoyed the car and the milege and do not feel that this car has ended its life. I told corp. that I think is is a defect since there is no way to see problem or fix the problem without pullin the transmission. If this is a potential problem, then why is there no way to check or reset this pin?
    I'm really miffed and letdown thinking I have to repurchace my car to get it fixed. Guess thats what we get having our cars built in Mexico!!!!">link title
  • allinronallinron Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2013
    I'm very encouraged that you say VW will now pay the bill for this transmission jerking problem. My wife's is a 2004 with less than 80,000 miles.
    Who is the contact at VW? The dealerships don't seem to know anything about it. Thanks for any guidance you can provide.
    We bought our first beetle while in the army in Germany. This is our fourth. They sure have gotten complicated over the years.
    I really doubt that VW is paying for all of our transmissions problems. Maybe they could have reimbursed all of us, and not do the super bowl commercial! hopefully waiting.
  • inettainetta Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2004 VW beetle convertible. Just love the car! But the trans is shot and it was shot when I bought it but didn't know. I've spent 1500 on the windows, another 200 on the top, another 400 on electrical and now looking at spending 3500-5000 on the transmission and it's a 2004 with 110,000 miles. Is it worth it?
    I certainly would not bring it to a vw place, the AAMCO mechanics did a great job on my 2004 beetle...at a couple $ less than vw. It has been about 45,000 miles since the work has been done and drives fine..127,000 miles. It is tough because you really can't trade the car in for anything - so you might have to just fix it and drive it. Still boggles me why VW does nothing about this....like they don't think anything is wrong.