Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Escape Towing

jjmoniebagsjjmoniebags Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Ford
Hi all,

I just bought a 2008 escape LTD and was wondering how it will tow my 2000lb 17 foot aluminum bass boat? I know it has a 3500lb rating but how will it handle the load driving round trips of 400 kms, twice a month? Thanks. Any other comments on the 2008 Escape would be appreciated as well!

JJ

Comments

• mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    If so, you should be fine, just remember that Towing qualifies as severe duty and your must follow the severe duty scheduled maintance guide.

If you have questions about maintance, visit www.fleet.ford.com and you can get a customized maitence schedule for your Model based on your driving habits.

Mark.
  • rjp14227rjp14227 Member Posts: 1
    I've got an 02 Escape, 6 cyl, 4WD, with 92k miles. I've got my eye on a boat that weighs 2500# with trailer. My question is can I put a hitch on this truck and safely pull with boat without overworking the Escape. I know that with the factory towing package, the Escape can pull 3500#. Does this apply to an after market hitch (class 3). Is this even a good idea?
  • nl78nl78 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2008 Escape LTD with a tow package. I want to haul my boat (2400 lbs with trailer). DoI need a transmission cooler as I live in hilly PA? My Ford dealer says they can put one it but have to remove the bumper to do so and want $650.00 to do it. Can one be installed for less without removing the bumper.
  • bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    I thought all Escape V6's with the tow package had a transmission cooler as standard equipment. My 2007 V6 LTD does.
    What a nice dealer, he wants to sell you something that was installed on your vehicle by the factory.

2008 Escape V6 has a standard transmission oil cooler. Not sure about the I4.

For 07 you only got the cooler WITH the tow package.

Mark
  • gbs1043gbs1043 Member Posts: 5
    The reason the 2008 has a transmission fluid cooler, is that without the cooler, the CD4E transmissions fail. They decided to include the extra cooling, even without the towing package. If they had done this years ago, thousands of people would have saved millions of dollars, because they would not have had to replace their transmissions at 4 K a pop!

Sounds as if a good attorney has an excellent class action suit .

ALL ABORD ???
  • nl78nl78 Member Posts: 2
    Then I wonder if the "standard" cooler on the 2008 Escape is sufficient to haul a 2,400 lb boat or should I still add another auxilliary transmission cooler although it appears there is not much room for one.
    Evidence that someone corrected a problem is not admissable to prove that a problem exisited.

The legal system deems that the discouragement to fix problems before being compelled that would occur if people could point and say "see you did have a problem, otherwise why the fix?" Out weighs any benefit that would occur from allowing such evidence to be admitted.

Mark
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Isn't it even more basic than that? The "fix" can be regarded as a new design or a redesign which ultimately has no bearing on the original design. I suppose one could argue that the redesign implies the original one was faulty but then the additional burden becomes having to prove the new design never displays the same problem.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • luvmyescape1luvmyescape1 Member Posts: 4
    i tow 3500 lb boat,youll hav no prob.go to u-haul and put on addtnl transmssion cooler,49$part,66$labor.no taking off bumper.thats dealer talk for extra profit likes its a hard job.1 hr job.thatll mount behind grill,in front of a/c condenser,plenty of air flow.cheap insurance.i have 2002 escape,2005 tribute,picking up 2008 escape ltd tomorow.30,000sticker.dealer invoice 23,458 -2000 rebate -1850m more off =25,580.with the 17" rims,leathr htd seats,moonroof.no nav system.really like the size and utility of them,obviously! :)
This discussion has been closed.