Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Sentra Spec V vs Honda Civic Si

james31278james31278 Member Posts: 78
edited April 2014 in Honda
Lets try this again, this is a topic for both cars. Like the title says no fighting so if anyone tries don't respond.

Comments

• eldainoeldaino Member Posts: 1,618
    VS.

probably the epitome of fighting.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    No, it's not. It's a place to compare the features and attributes of the two vehicles. It is not a place to fight, so please leave that notion outside the park. Thank you.
  • james31278james31278 Member Posts: 78
    Pat you are correct, it is simply a comparison. The 07 Civic Si is 2886, my 2004 Spec V is estimated to be 2500lbs according to my insurance card. Maybe a little more I never totally believe what I read online. The 2007 spec V is 3078, Nissan should have stuck with the B15 until they could design a real chassis that French surrender chassis blows.
    Pat something odd is going on our posts are duplicated. *update* nope its on all one page now, weird.
  • bullardohiobullardohio Member Posts: 23
    Has anyone driven these 2 cars back-to-back? I've driven the Civic Si sedan, & hope to drive the Spec V this weekend. Would appreciate anyone's comparison (driving impressions) of the 2 vehicles.....
  • iomaticiomatic Member Posts: 48
    I looked at it but, Nissan industrial design has gone downhill of late, so I'll be whipping by in my Si.
    So, for me:

Spec V = ugly. Si = tehsecksy

:)
    you pretty much summed it up.

but in all fairness, the spec v is slightly (ever so slightly) quicker than the si.

Styling may be subjective, but the civic in general is a better looking car imo. The spec v has got some nice torque, but the si's willingness to rev more than compensates for it.

Lets not even get started on chassis tuning. While the spec v posesses nice turn in, the si is def more floggable and fun to drive. And it doesn't way a hundred tons either.
    I'll whip by the 07 Spec V in my 04 Spec V with ease. I have a much lighter better looking car too. With an instake and exhaust I can probably blow the doors off of the civic si too.
    With an instake and exhaust I can probably blow the doors off of the civic si too.

maybe slightly, but hardly 'blowing the doors off'. :blush:

and if you do, its becasue of the spec v's natural ability to be torquey, not because you have an intake and exahust, both of which are adding only slight hp/torque gains.
    Actually the Nismo CAI adds 15hp coupled with the Nismo Catback's 5hp. That's an easy 195hp. More than slight. The 2004 Spec V also has Drive by Wire and a raging case of haul [non-permissible content removed].
    the Nismo CAI adds 15hp coupled with the Nismo Catback's 5hp

and how much of that is going to the wheels? About 7 hp maybe? 15hp combined sounds right, but certianly not the the wheels; this would mean that hp being produced at the crank would be about almost 30...sorry your not going to get that n/a even with a cai and exhaust. And even so, despite the torque, your still shy 2 ponies of what the si produces stock. And isn't always unfair to go on about who you can rip a new one to when they are stock and you are not? :confuse:
    Even with the intake and exhaust I'm still pretty much stock. 2hp means nothing thats a negligible difference. You actually think 2 horses means anything come on. Also you have to remember the Civic SI is also heavier than my car. lol :)
    2hp means nothing thats a negligible difference

ofcourse it means nothing, i was just pointing out the civics superior hp per litre. And your right, it is a TOTALLY negligible difference....

hence why i brought up your whole concept of how much hp your cai and exhaust make. :blush: If its so negligible, i wonder why having them on your car makes a diff?

Even with the intake and exhaust I'm still pretty much stock.

any aftermarket additions=not stock anymore
    It would be stock enough, the Civic Si has a single tip exhaust. It really doesn't matter in the long run the Spec will always be better/faster. Vtec is all bark without any bite. Honda isn't even going to bring their fast cars to America, considering their "fast" cars are in the 220-250hp range. Honda and Toyota are permanently in the castrated slow lane.
    Vtec is all bark without any bite

really? any proof of this? Because there sure is a hell of a lot of proof that vtec pretty much makes an engine more powerful/efficient as a whole.

I know nissan hasn't taken to well with variable valve technology, so i understand your stand point. :P

If honda made a 2.5 4cyl it would eat the ser alive. (they have a 2.4 that already can. and a 2.0 that does more than hold its own.)

and the se-r being "better" is totally subjective. What is fact about the ser? it has a bigger engine, and more torque. But lets not get started on the low rent interior, crappy shifter, and horrilbe chassis that cant hold a candle to the si's. THAT is fact.
    Coming from an owner of an SE-R, me I know my car is more bite than bark. I see those vtec honda boys all the time they have loud exhausts on their cars and stuff yet when faced with a decent car they lose big time. That's odd how there haven't been any Honda owners on here commenting. That last part you said isn't remotely true, I know you're getting that garbage from the car reviews. Low rent interior yeah right, honda is a low rent car. What is your proof that honda's 2.4L engine can eat an SE-R alive?
  • vvileyvviley Member Posts: 46
    Do Honda owners need to comment? For the most part, we don't need to defend the competencies of our cars. People will buy what they think works well for them - and I think national sales figures say things well enough.

If I really wanted a Honda to get the job done, I'd just go get a 2.2L S2000. 0-60 in 5.5 is pretty agreeable with me (C&D). But I'm guessing even that wouldn't quiet the nay-sayers.
    As do the sentra sales numbers, I see alot of sentras.
    You may see a lot of Sentras, but check lists for most sold, most researched, and most stolen. People are either interested in one or are actively getting one... legally or otherwise.

To assist, here's some quickies I looked up.

http://autos.msn.com/advice/article.aspx?contentid=4023925
    http://autos.msn.com/advice/article.aspx?contentid=4023900
    http://autos.msn.com/advice/article.aspx?contentid=2891
    Most of the stolen sentras are early 90's models. I see mostly 2000+ year models. I also have heard of people having problems with their Spec V's, odd since I haven't had any problems with mine what so ever. I have my suspicions.
    see those vtec honda boys all the time they have loud exhausts on their cars and stuff yet when faced with a decent car they lose big time.

there are so many responses/explanations to this, its incredible.

First off, not even nissan is free from tuner wannabe's; i've seen my fair share of arroz-out nissan with fart can mufflers and no go at all; thats no secret. Having said that; just because someone slapped a vtec sticker on their car and puts a muffler on it doesn't mean that they are actually packing any power; unforutantely there are more misinformed 'tuners' then informed ones, so you are more likely to see what you just described.

I've seen plenty of hondas with go. I've seen civic hatch backs take out corvettes. I've seen crx's take out MOTORCYCLES. (obviously not a legal daily driver.) the tuning potential of some of these cars is incredible. There is no need to dispute that, its common knowledge.

Me? i like the se-r. Especially the new one; i appreciate a car with some oomph that comes in automatic guise; but i also see the other side of it; honda prefers to stick to its philosophy and i respect them for that; it yields great results, both aftermarket and not.

Its safe to assume you have not really encountered a well tuned honda; as few of them are seen in a day to day basis. You are basing your opinion of 'honda vtec boys' on experience with a few punks who think a muffler is cool, something that can be slapped on to any car, not just a honda, thus making your point invalid and without any real basis or real world experience involving someone who knows what they are doing.

Do i diss nissan? NO! they have a huge aftermarket following, and are very prominent on the tuner scene. My buddy with the turboed civic wants a 240sx to be his next project car.

Personally, i just hate people who adhere themselves to one brand, and hate everything else. Nissan has its things, and honda has its things, and even though i prefer honda, i can still appreciate other brands for what they do/put out.

That last part you said isn't remotely true, I know you're getting that garbage from the car reviews. Low rent interior yeah right, honda is a low rent car.

what part was untrue? sorry the previous generation se-r was NOTHING to right home about interior wise; heck the gauges were only slightly different than the base sentras! What proof do YOU have that honda is a low rent car, when they are praised universally for build quality and rich interiors? :blush:

with regards to the k24; try going up against someone, even if all they have under their belt is the engine, and see how you come out. It produces almost the same torque as your car, has about 30 more hp and a higher redline. Even in a heavy chassis, this is a force to be reckoned with, but since there are so many variables involved, i'll leave it out of the discussion, because i too think its unfair to get into the whole...'well if i had this engine in THIS chassis' kind of thing.

I guess i should have said its a more powerful and efficient engine.
    No offense but until you actually own a Honda I can't regard anything you say as credible.
    thanks for the link wiley! ;)

i've owned 2 hondas

an 01 civic coupe

and an 06 ex sedan

somehow...i still don't see you taking what i'm saying as credible; which really says it all :P (especially when half the things i said are things you can observe and confirm with your own eyes.)
    Yeah yeah two honda fans ganging up on a Nissan fan. Ha. You're just mad because Nissan is better. The 01 Civic isn't the Si now is it. This is a Spec V vs Civic Si topic unless you've owned an Si get real. :P
    I'm not mad about anything, partly because I don't really care who's better. I bought an '07 Si because it's what works for me.

And why is ownership a prerequisite? People are capable of forming an educated opinion without necessarily making the purchase. In fact, if people weren't able to make choices based on at least partial information, we'd all be driving Nitros and Ions.
    FYI: This thread is shown in both the Sentra & the Civic forums. I would expect to see comments from both sides.
    C'mon guys, we're not here to get into street fights. If you want to compare the features and attributes of these vehicles, let's do that. If you just want to make in-your-face posts, we're going to wrap this up.
    Perhaps.
    Um, no, not "perhaps". The discussion is listed under both vehicles and everyone is welcome to contribute about either one. There are no ownership requirements nor anything else except that the conversation be kept civil and on topic. In-your-face posts are not constructive and, as I mentioned, if they continue, this discussion will be closed.

I am addressing my comments to everyone, but james31278 and eldaino please check your email.
    I will say this, the interior of the Spec V is not remotely cheap. Car and Driver is notorious for complaining too much because they have become spoiled over the years. They drive High end cars then complain when not so high end cars don't have high end materials. Their favorite thing to call Nissan interiors is the word cheap. They need to come down off of their high horses. I suspect they also don't like Nissan and are looking for any excuse to dump on them. They show a heavy favoritism toward Hondas the issue with the Lincoln concept on the front is proof. In the comparison of the sedans the Honda's interior is no different than the Nissan Altima's yet they still call the Nissan's cheap. C&D are also notorious for their crappy tests too like the Buick Grand National stunt of the 80's, an obviously too slow too heavy car magically gets a 3 secs on the 0-60. In reality the car's acceleration is more like 5-6 seconds. IF you want to believe biased lackluster reviews go with Honda automatically but if you can think for yourself go with what car that works for you.
    Drove both the Si sedan & Spec V - & decided on the Sentra. It came down to this - both cars drive nice, Honda's engine revs a little better, but didn't like the instrument cluster or the small shifter. Sentra had a better display, donwside was no fold-down seat, but can live with that. I don't drive cars on the edge - just wanted a quick commuter that was fun to drive w/ good gas mileage. Both cars fit the bill, just liked the Sentra a little better. Put a deposit down today - hope to be driving a new one by next Wed or Thurs.
    Congrats - keep us posted!
    i don't think its cheap looking either; slightly below the si and not anywhere near the gti's interior.
    You're just mad because Nissan is better.

if it really was, you wouldn't need to say things such as this. I've posted useful information and have yet to restort to this.

Well, i did do it one time, but it was a joke. You are being serious.

Like i've said i've owned 2 hondas and have driven the si. I even took my wife this weekend to look at the base se-r, because i like it as a sportier ride that isn't about all out performance, and its roomy, and she doesn't like stick, hence ruling out the si.

Even if i did own an se-r, i would never boast superiority over the si. I know who has more torque, but i also know who has a more focused chassis and gearbox. Its what works best for each person.

And that is something that you cannot sum up with 'Nissan is better.' :blush:
    Are we still on that old garbage? Lets move on. I bet the Si's and Spec V's interiors are equal but like I said C&D does play favorites.
    Which seat doesn't fold down?
    on the spec v, because of the rear v brace, the rear seats cant fold down.

this is not an issue on the se-r non spec v though.
    Oh yeah the 07 model has that brace blocking it. Where as my 04 doesn't and the seats do fold down. The brace is slanted I have seen pictures of it but the seats fold forward so technically they should be able to fold.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    In the comparison of the sedans the Honda's interior is no different than the Nissan Altima's yet they still call the Nissan's cheap.

They're the exact same interior? Wow, who knew? I, for one, beg to differ.

IF you want to believe biased lackluster reviews go with Honda automatically but if you can think for yourself go with what car that works for you.

Gee, thanks.
    Got a silver one w/ sunroof. So far so good. Price was right w/ $1000 rebate & 0.7% financing. Not that it's a big deal, but would have liked audio controls on the steering wheel (Civic had this, I think). I've had the car 4 days, & none of the boy racers have challenged me - which is just fine w/ me. I didn't like the "obvious" markings on the Si, and think the Spec V did a better job of w/ the badges. One thing I've noticed (& saw this in the reviews) - I need a good hold on the steering wheel if I'm turning & accelerating at the same time!
    Yes, the Civic has audio controls on the wheel.

You got the new-model Sentra (the boxier one)? They have rebates on them ALREADY? That doesn't sound good...
    If you accelerate and turn in any car you'll need a firm hold of the wheel. I don't care about not having stereo controls on my steering wheel they'd get in the way possibly. Then again I means you don't have to take your hands off the wheel. They always rebate sentras regardless they got into the habit of doing that and its worked out before so why stop right.
    About "always rebate Sentras, so why stop?"...

It just means that Nissan is admitting they can't sell the car without some sort of monetary discount, or that they don't feel the car is worth the asking price to consumers, so they give people money to buy them. That's understandable later in a car's production run, but right off the bat? Doesn't seem like a good idea.

Frankly, I haven't heard of rebates on them in my area, but I'm not necessarily looking for one, so I could just be looking in the wrong places.
    Yes, the Sentra has a $1000 rebate. Of course, the Si I looked at had a selling price right @ invoice (actually about $25 less than invoice). And, that was the "sticker" on the car, before any negotiations. So.....I guess both cars need incentives to sell - good for me! I got the Sentra @ $650 over invoice, which is actually $350 less than invoice if you consider the rebate.
    I'm just saying the Sentra has more "torque steer" than most front wheel drive cars (definitely more than the Civic). For comparison, the TL has very little torque steer, & is a FWD. My previous RS4 & 330xi had no torque steer, because they're AWD.
    Is torque steer a bad thing? I don't have much of a problem with my Spec V. I'm surprised the regular Sentras have torque steer.
    Yes, torque steer is bad. It deviates from the driver's intended line of steering unnaturally.
    The new Eclipse has torque steer too. I guess thats what happens when you put a lightweight car with a powerful engine. The regular new Sentra is something like 2900lbs too.
    The base Sentra is 2900 lbs? That's heavier than my old Accord, heavier than a Civic, heavier than a base 3, and outweighs a Corolla by over 300 pounds.

It can't be all that powerful either if it was outgunned by the Civic.

Torque steer doesn't have to be a problem. But I remember the outgoing/late model Sentra being noted for its torque steer. The same was true of the Altima V6. Nissan just didn't have that problem resolved.

I know about the old model, but won't make a judgement about the new Sentra until I drive one. The thing that stuck out in my mind about the basic Sentra 2.0 was one review called it a "Mini-Town Car."
This discussion has been closed.