Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Sentra Spec V vs Honda Civic Si

Comments

• james31278james31278 Member Posts: 78
    They are talking about the 2007 Spec V outgunning the Civic Si. The 07 Spec V is 3,078 lbs with 200hp. Basically it's on par with the VW GTI Mark-V power and weight wise. What they should've done was keep it around the weight of my car while giving it 200hp. That's easier than it sounds hypothetically I can get close to 200hp period with the Nismo Cold Air Intake and Catback Exhaust installed, Nismo CAI and Catback collectively add approximately 20hp. Before anyone jumps in with the "at the wheels" b.s. don't, I don't want to hear it. The 2002-2006 Spec V makes 160hp at the wheels and it's rated at 175hp, the power doesn't vanish into thin air like some would hope.
  • bullardohiobullardohio Member Posts: 23
    Torque steer isn't such a bad thing - it just takes a little getting used to. When you drive an AWD car, it's not an issue. I don't mind it on my Sentra, just have to be aware when I'm turning, accelerating, & shifting gears. Actually, once I'm accustomed to it, I probably will not really notice it too much.
    Yep it's not so bad it's only noticeable when someone is hauling a-- big time. I enjoy my spec v thats all that matters and I have a rare color. I was the only blue one in the area until some slightly newer model came along but I rarely see him or her. I've actually had encounters with evo's before, one looked at my car the other decided to stomp the accelerator. A turbo-ed spec v can kill an evo easily.
    My Spec V is alot of fun to drive. My other car is a Durango, & while it has lots of seats & is practical for the winter, it doesn't have alot of get up & go & the gas mileage is not the greatest. I actually looked at the Evo & STi, but didn't want to be that obvious & have less than spectacular gas mileage.
  • eldainoeldaino Member Posts: 1,618
    A turbo-ed spec v can kill an evo easily.

:blush:

do you know why the evo is awd? it has to be. My buddies turboed civic is at the mercy of fwd, and it has a stage 3 turbo, pushing over 300 to the wheels. .His car is pretty much normal until third gear, becasue of lack of traction. Any highly modified turbo fwd car needs A LOT of serious suspesion mods. A statement like this has so many variables, and just sounds childish.

I liked your comment on the 'at the wheels'thing.

You may not like it, but dynos don't lie! :P
    The 07 Spec V is 3,078 lbs with 200hp. Basically it's on par with the VW GTI Mark-V power and weight wise.

true, but the gti has considerably more torque, and much much earlier in the rpm range. But the gti is a whole other conversation. :shades:

Nismo CAI and Catback collectively add approximately 20hp. Before anyone jumps in with the "at the wheels" b.s. don't, I don't want to hear it. The 2002-2006 Spec V makes 160hp at the wheels and it's rated at 175hp, the power doesn't vanish into thin air like some would hope.

there is a difference between b.s. and you just not wanting to hear it. But like i've already said, the dyno does not lie. No one is saying the power just dissapears, but its usually much different than what the engine produces, which is what the manufacturer puts on the window sticker. The only sporty compact besides the ms3 to give a damn good close to spec sheet hp/torque reading is the gti.
  • thenebeanthenebean Member Posts: 1,124
    true, but the gti has considerably more torque, and much much earlier in the rpm range. But the gti is a whole other conversation

the spec V has a good amount of torque available early on in the powerband. i own a 2003 sunburst yellow spec v - and there's enough torque to start it with barely a shudder in third gear at a stop sign. my hubby has a saab 9-2X aero (subaru wrx wagon essentially) and even though its shy 50 hp to the saab, my car feels like it has WAY more get up and go.

the 03 model spec V's are my personal favorite - they look more aggressive, and have a different front fascia than the regular sentra at that time. i am a little dissapointed with the new sentra (making it look toyota echo tall...) but i am sure its still a great car :)

my two cents anyways...

-thene :)
    From my point of view it looks like a Prius but both cars are so red-headed stepchild ugly either works. I have an 04 model while not as aggressive looking it still has the punch the previous ones did. You also have the lava red interior where as I have black and silver seats. My car is stealthy as Consumer Reports or someone put it. Back when the 04's were new the Nissan site had a quicktime thing about how the muffler tip has a mechanism inside that opens the other tip when accelerating but leaves the main one permanently open with idling. I get the feeling that may hamper exhaust escape, I planned on installing the Nismo catback anyway.
  • vvileyvviley Member Posts: 46
    I enjoyed TTAC's comment about the Spec-V's styling.

"this is a car only Kermit could love"

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/?p=3959
    02's only had the lava red interior. i have the black and silver - being as though my car was an 03. the '03 was the only year you could get sunburst in my body style, before they went to the toothy grill. i love my car - even nearly 5 years later!! im sure you love yours too! they are great cars :)

i will probably upgrade to a used g35 (newer body style though, as i won't be making a purchase for about 2-3 years). i have never had any major problems with my car, and i love it so much, i plan on buying nissan/infiniti products for life!

do you have the blue spec V (not the electric blue, but the royal blue color?) i liked that color, and the orange too...

• iomaticiomatic Member Posts: 48
    Read this post visualizing without an angry tone; because I'm not flaming, just stating my opinion.

I've read through your posts and I simply don't understand your logical fallacies spread all over this thread: anecdotal references, biased opinions, hypocrisy (you can beat someone stock in your '04 (I thought we were discussing '07s), no wait not stock because you've got I/H, wait you still think it's stock (color me confused???))... it all sounds like defensive posturing.

Look, your opinions are fine, but remember this: straight-line performance isn't everything. You don't even know if torque understeer is good or bad? I have to really roll my eyes on this.

Obviously you've not run twisties in an Si yet. I do. You would be owned. Badly.
    Yeah right sure uh huh. Typical Honda fanboy, overstating one's ability. I have way more torque than you're Honda will ever see in it's life so if anyone becomes "owned" it's you. The Si is heaver and slower nuff said.
    It's called Sapphire Blue, it's a pure blue that debuted in 2004. The newer sapphire blue isn't as nice as mine. They faded the color a little. I'd never trade in my Spec V, I'm the first owner of it. I won't let some people touch my car. lol. That lava read interior is alright, it is not my kind of taste though.
    I feel you do yourself a disservice when you resort to these subjective statements. I mean, can you really attribute 'ownage' to a 0.3 second difference in anything? It takes the average person longer to sneeze.
    I guess I didn't make it clear enough I'm not flaming you; I'm simply pointing out that straight line performance isn't everything.

Wait, did I make myself clear?

straight line performance isn't everything

How is that torque going to help you in a 60 bend?

By the way, I did not resort to name-calling, only pointing out that the handling in Si vs. a Sentra, IMO is unequal weighted toward the Si. The Si has a brilliant limited-slip differential to correct for FWD understeer. This is the ownage I was talking about; in "real-world" driving on twisty roads (not racing, which I never said), the Si would trump the Sentra.

For the record, the only modifications I've made to my Si is window tint. If that's the definition of 'Ricer', then you may want to go look for the Wikipedia entry.

You've not given anyone a smidgen of objectivity regarding this comparison; just name-calling, subjectivity, and down-right hostility (even toward the mods!)

Cripes, man. It's only a discussion.
    the Spec V also has (and has since the 2002 model i believe) limited slip differential for the twisties. plus a front and rear stabilizer bar.

you can't really compare the two until you've driven them back to back on the same twisties one after the other.

i drive in a spirited fashion, and in my '03, i always feel confident going through the twisties. i can't nor will i comment on the abilities of the Si because i have not driven one.

I keep forgetting to add the incredibly tight suspension (almost too teeth-chattering) of the Si...

Also missed the opportunity to point out that there is almost no hand tightening nervousness of the Si's excellent three-spoke wheel when cornering; in fact you can punch it harder during a turn with utmost confidence.

Don't take my word for it; go to a dealer and abuse one yourself.
    That never really stopped alot of people from comparing. The fact is no one has ever compared the two exclusively and probably never will. Yeah the Spec has the LSD and sway bars. Spec V is better nuff said.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    It is your opinion that the Spec V is "better" and that's fine - you are entitled to that. But by the same token others are entitled to have differing opinions. That doesn't make them right and you wrong just as it doesn't make them wrong and you right.

Let's leave some room for varying viewpoints in this conversation.
    You do realize the conflict (and obvious subjectivity) in your statements:

The fact is no one has ever compared the two exclusively and probably never will.

Spec V is better nuff said.
    What I said was no one as in magazines have ever compared the two side by side, the cars by themselves. They probably never will do that either. Why not agree to disagree and leave it at that lol. Rivalry never hurts.
    Upgraded running gear on the Sentra SE-R includes firmer springs and larger wheels and brakes. The SE-R Spec V goes even further by specifying a retuned and lowered suspension, complete with a thicker front antiroll bar and a V-shaped reinforcement brace in back. The Spec V also has larger front brakes and stickier summer tires. The SE-R retrofits result in a better-handling car, but even in Spec V form, the econosport Sentra lacks the spark of competitors in this price range. From behind the wheel, it comes across as heavy and distant as opposed to lightweight and engaging.

The all-new 2007 Nissan Sentra is no doubt a better, more refined car than its predecessor, with more capable engines and a more pleasant, flexible cabin. If you're looking for an economy sedan that'll give maximum interior room and versatility for your buying dollar, the Sentra is a solid bet. However, if inspired handling is your thing, you'll find your needs best served by the more athletic talents of the Mazda 3 or Honda Civic.

(emphasis mine)
    http://www.edmunds.com/nissan/sentra/2007/review.html

I'll leave it at that.
    Well put
    I drove both the 07 Si & Spec V, & took both of them on the identical 270 degree Interstate merge. Both cars did just fine - again, I don't drive on the edge. The Si tracks a little better - I could feel the back end of the Spec V sliding just a tad. However, for my driving style, I wouldn't notice the small difference between the cars on the skid pad. Yes, I bought the Spec V, but it was close. Either car would have been fine for me - just like the Spec V just a little better. If you want to know the final deciding points, see my earlier post.
    That sounds very anti-spec v anyway so that can be debunked as biased. This from a car site that drives $100,000+ cars heh. I hope Honda pays them alot of money to write that mess even though that is a very poor quality review. Instead of boiling it down and saying exactly what they think is wrong with it they write that stuff. I don't own the new thing, don't care what they say about the frog chassis. Spec V is better regardless, nuff said. Get over it.
    Believe it or not, most review sites are not into the whole conspiracy thing. They write the way they feel about the car at the time. It always amused me when I would watch videos on Edmunds' Inside Line when they started w/ the Buick Lucerne ads - because if you read Edmunds' review of the Lucerne, they basically tossed it into the discard pile as junk.

Other than being convinced to review a model, editorials would lose all of their credibility if they were offering paid advertisements instead of personal reviews. And it would become grossly evident in this day and age when everyone is under scrutiny. If you want to see an example of users giving the 'what-for' against 'biased' organizations - go look up the HD-DVD key or the Dell "Confessions" incidents. And for the argument that car people might not be as technically inclined as nerds (as my previous examples may imply), I think the fact that we're all capable of using the internet and doing our own research should be good enough.
    They are biased believe it or not. This guy expects everyone to accept these dumbassed reviews blindly and go Civic. Get real. It's not good enough. Moving on to another discussion. Their reviews suck, nuff said.
    Then what reviews should we be seeking out instead?
    Why, ones that praise the Spec V, of course! Those are the only ones that wouldn't be biased, doncha know. ;)
    first of all, wiley and iomatic; excellent posts.

The one thing i think you are missing james is this; this is a forum for the NEW spec v vs THE NEW si.

and since we have plenty of info of which car is the sharper handler, i guess that leaves that question answered.

Will anyone ever compare your year spec v to the new si? no probably not. which means we can only go back and look at previous reviews for the nissan and compare them to the si.

I'm sure the spec v is quick, there is not doubting that. But lets forget bias for a minute (since you think there is too much of it from anyone who dislikes the sentra, which makes no sense, seeing as how thats about the biggest bias i've ever seen.), and just gon on numbers/reviews.

It seems pretty obvious that while styling is out the window, the new spec v's chassis is superior and puts out better HANDLING (notice i did not say acceleration?) numbers than the old spec v. If thats the case, how do you think that the old spec v would fare against a new si, which posts better handling numbers than even the new sentra se-r?

You prefer torque, some prefer handling. and to you anyone elses opinion or facts mean nothing.

i like the se-r, but the si is simply the better handler, and it has BEEN PROVEN. have you driven the si? i have not driven the spec v, but i'm not making assumptions that are as sure and intense as yours.

james, no one likes a fan boy, but you can at least admit to it. Nuff said. :P
    BYYYAAHHHAAHAAA! :P

hilarious! :D
    The one thing i think you are missing james is this; this is a forum for the NEW spec v vs THE NEW si.

actually...it just says Nissan Sentra Spec V vs. Honda Civic Si. It doesn't say "New" or "2007" or anything like that...

I would say "Nuff Said" but i hate that phrase...

this thread was created when an article on edmunds about the se-r came out, and the reviewers made many comparisons on the NEW si.

just common sense.
  • jd10013jd10013 Member Posts: 779
    They are biased believe it or not

just mention the ford challenge where people perferred the fussion over the accord and camry and they'll agree with you :P
  • gersigersi Member Posts: 2
    Drove both got the SI. I found the shifting to be much smother. Liked the SI interior and fold down rear seats.
    My rear seats fold down too.
    but they don't on the new spec v.

which is what all these comparos have been about...something that you have yet to grasp apparently.
    that was a joke.

awd vs 2 fwd cars.

yeah, thats balanced and fair. why not compare it to a subaru legacy and see how well it fares?

and just because THOSE reviewers preferred it does not MAKE it better. puh-lease. :blush:
    jd - agree with a statement you made in another thread - its very apparent in many of the nissan threads.

maybe, just maybe, the fusion is really that good of a car! why is that so hard to believe? because fords werent good in the past? believe me, i am not a ford fan at all, and don't plan on getting one in the next 30 years or so...but things do change, and cars get better/worse...

besides, those people liked more than just the awd vs. fwd handling of those cars...

my two cents...

• thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Tell me about it.

While we're talking about the Nissan that debuted several years ago, why not compare the 93 Civic to the 93 Sentra. That'd be as productive as talking about any other old models (lots of new information always flowing in - NOT).

:)
    you are totally right; it was more than just awd.

the fusion has an interesting interior and they chose the blandest versions of the accord and camry they could find. (why not a nice camry se? or a nice v-6 accord?)

the rest is personal opinion and does not make the fusion better than the other two, its just preference.

i know many who would not be caught dead in a fusion especially when a nice accord is the other choice.
    good post grad. and entertaining as always. ;)
    Did I take a wrong turn on the way to the Spec V vs Si discussion? :sick:
    i love my spec V!!!

(does that help pat?) ;)

-thene :P
    Haha, yes thank you, I feel much better! :D
  • sstrangeesstrangee Member Posts: 2
    I usually don't put my 2-cents in on these types of discussions cause both cars are capable of being tuned and tricked and everyone is entitled to the car they enjoy driving.

But, I bought BOTH cars on the same day. I bought the 2007 Nissan Spec V for me and my wife bought the 2007 Honda Si. I've driven both cars (stock) several times.

Now, we're talking stock here, so...

I felt that the Spec V performs better overall. Driving the Spec V for the first time made me feel like the car wanted me to push it. The car cornered and braked with ease and did it smoothly. The interior is roomy and everything is "right there" in front of you.

I also drive the Si (this isn't MY daily driver). The first thing that I noticed, the first time I drove it, is that the dashboard feels like it's all the way up at the windshield. I felt like I was looking down a tunnel to see the speedometer. Another thing is the Si comes with the Titanium shifter. I touched that thing and almost burnt my hand off (the car was sitting in the sun all day and it was 110 that day and it takes forever for that thing to cool down -- so have a driving glove handy). Anyway, I felt the Si (although quick) was a little sluggish off the line, but handled just as smoothly as the Spec V in the cornering department.

Overall, for me it came down to looks and that little extra "umph" the Spec V has. But, I like the look of the Spec V over the Si. The Si still has the "Civic" look which is a total turn off for me.

Now, the main advantage that the Honda has over the Nissan is the warranty. The Honda's warranty is by far hands down, far superior than Nissan's. And this was a deciding factor for my wife to take the Si over us buying another Spec V.

Thanks.
    thanks for the review sstrangee!

i've been out of the biz for a bit, but i remember nissan having a 3yr 36k mile bumper to bumper, and 5yr 60k powertrain. what does honda have?

• sivicmansivicman Member Posts: 32
    Did anyone see the comparison test in the August '07 Motor Trend magazine? The Civic Si came out on top.
  • themistoclesthemistocles Member Posts: 95
    my 2007 civic si has a 10 year 100,000 mile warranty

the spec-v is fun to drive, and i would take the Spec over the Si sedan, but i prefer a coupe, and think the Si coupe looks way better than the spec-v in my opinion. I prefer the interior of the si and the handeling, not to mention the high revving. The placement of the speedometer is perfect for me, being 6'1..
    Glad they put the limited slip differential in the spec-v like the 07 has.

There is something i can certainly agree with, the older civics with those coffee can mufflers dont really go anywhere, and sound like an old rusty chain saw or weed wacker.
This discussion has been closed.