Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Cadillac SRX reliability, maintenance and quality

neednewwheel1neednewwheel1 Member Posts: 3
I am torn between a 2006 Cadillac SRX and the 2006 Acura MDX. Both are in pristine shape with approximately 6000 miles. The MDX is nice and is the safer car to go with it seems. Better overall reviews from editors and Consumer Reports. However, I'm intrigued and very interested in the SRX - rides great, good performance, great ultra-view roof and nice looks.

1. Does Cadillac manufacture reliable and low maintenance autos these days?

2. Is a dealer certification providing 100K, 6 years bumper to bumper with no deductible worthwhile if I can get it for $500, or $1000?

3. Other considerations?

Comments

• bagsbags Member Posts: 12
    Hi,
    I recommend the SRX. I own one. It is the most solid, reliable car I've ever owned. Acura's are great, but I think most American cars these days get short-changed by people who think you can't have quality if it's American. The ultra roof is excellent; mileage isn't quite as good as I would like.
  • dms9dms9 Member Posts: 137
    What did you end up buying? I am torn between a 2007 SRX and MDX. Are you happy with your decision. Has it been reliable?
  • neednewwheel1neednewwheel1 Member Posts: 3
    It could have gone either way, but I had a difficult time finding a low mileage SRX with the following 3 musts:

1. ultra-view
    2. all-wheel drive
    3. 3rd row seats

I got a call from an Indiana dealer that had just the model I was looking for, but we had an appointment at Acura that night. Since we were referred by friends to the store manager, my wife felt bad about canceling last minute. The manager pulled it from the service line (loaner) and it was in fantastic shape, so we opted for the MDX. It's probably the safer choice on paper, but the Caddie excited me much more. Had we gone to the Caddie dealer that night, we'd probably be driving it instead. That damn ultra-view had it's claws in me - difficult to let go. Plus the manu-matic made it fun to drive.

My wife drives much more than I and she preferred the MDX. In the end, we're very happy with the MDX. Nice, comfortable interior and nice features. Gas mileage is surprisingly low...just 16.8 miles per gallon tops. That's quite a bit of city driving, but even on highway I have not exceeded.

Don't think you can go wrong with the Acura. Can probably have more fun though with the Caddie. Enjoy!
    Thank you. Interesting, I have the same analysis. MDX is a safer choice, but the Caddy would be more fun. I agree, that roof is the coolest thing ever. I will probably buy the MDX. The shame of it is that GM could dominate this market segment if it wanted to. They make a really good 300 hp V6, but don't put it in the SRX. Even the V6 they put in the Lambdas (Outlook, Enclave, Acadia), which I think is pretty much the same engine, pumps out 20 more horses. If GM put the 300 hp V6 in the SRX, stopped with the 500 different option choices, made a package that had the 3rd row, roof, magnetic ride and sold it for $45K, they wouldn't be able to make them fast enough. Makes you want to shake them when they have such a good platform and are so close. GM will probably cancel the line after 2008 when the BRX comes out. Oh well. Enjoy your MDX, I will probably have one within a month too. Thanks for your input, I was refreshing to see that I wasn't the only one comparing these two crossovers.
  • jessgalljessgall Member Posts: 3
    I had those same three musts and well, got REALLY lucky in finding one used (just a year old) at a Toyota Dealer! It has EVERYTHING - (magnetic ride, DVD entertainment, GPS, stabili-track, 3rd row, performance package.... and that ultra view sunroof is SWEET!!! I feel like I am in a convertible, but in a safe ride with my toddler strapped in the back. He loves the ultra-view too, always asks me to open it. And what's nice about it is that there is very little wind from such a wide opening, I am very pleasantly surprised! It's FAST, quick from the start (V8 AWD) and feels like the luxury car that it is! The best part is that I got this car for $24,900!!!

Jessica
    Last Saturday I drove the SRX V6 for about 2 hours. I think it is underpowered, but maybe it is just too noisy? Absolutely beautiful car with every bell and whistle. But, at nearly $47K for the V6, it was just too expensive. Also, no bluetooth, sounds somewhat silly, but I drive in DC a lot and they give tickets for talking on cell phones without handsfree. So, I did the same thing you did, bought the Acura. I love it, but I have to say, I really wanted to buy the SRX, there were just too many compromises (features and $$) to get into one. I come back to my prior comment, GM is so close with a truly fantastic platform. Where are the focus groups, where are the marketing guys, why doesn't GM make it so these great cars truly compete and fly out of the showrooms. Enjoy your MDX. I am hoping that the BRX blows the doors off the competition. If so, I will be buying on in five years.
  • susanw6susanw6 Member Posts: 32
    I was torn between the 2007 SRX and MDX also. I ended up with the SRX and am very happy. I based my decision on a couple of convenience/comfort factors. The SRX has an electric lift-gate and the third row folds up and down electrically. These are great features when I am carrying grocery or mall packages! Also, I like to position the steering wheel low in front of me while I drive and the MDX did not adjust down as far as I like.
    There are two things lacking in the SRX that would make it perfect for me. One is Bluetooth capability. Instead they offer hands-free calling through onstar at 40 cents/minute, which is a major rip off! The second thing would be the ability to open the glass window on the lift-gate instead of having to open the entire door. At times I have one item to toss in the back and it would be nice not to have to lift the entire door.

Other than those two things I am veeeery happy with my decision. Its comfortable and looks great!
    Enjoy your SRX. I really did love the car. It was much more carlike then the MDX, which I bought. I thought the fit and finish on the Caddy was better, the sunroof was fantastic and the NAV system is far more intuitive. However, at the end of the day, I bought the MDX because the third row (kids, really important) was more usable and could be split. Also, the bluetooth was really important because I drive in DC a lot. You can't use a cell phone and drive. They actually pull you over and give a ticket. The layout of the MDX is better and it handles so well. It really is fun to drive. I tried hard to get into an SRX, but the $$ was just too much. If it was even up comparably equiped, I would have bought the SRX, but even with the incentives there was a 5K difference. I am glad that I wasn't the only one who thought that these two cars were in competition with each other. Enjoy your SRX, it is a sweet ride.
  • bombshellbombshell Member Posts: 2
    I purchased a new 04 srx in mar04 and in jun06 found the storage area for third row head rests full of water. The dealer took the car apart and found no seal in the right rear quarter panel. The car wasn't sealed on the assembly line! They sealed it and after some crying to Cadillac the carpet and all were replaced. Cadillac also gave a warranty for the rear of the car for leaks until 2011.
  • srxmansrxman Member Posts: 6
    ;) I purchased a new 04, my final offer was for the 6 yr. 100K bumper to bumper at NO CHARGE! I got up and was ready to walk, and all I heard was.....OK. Just push and they will will give in!
    Jim
  • neednewwheel1neednewwheel1 Member Posts: 3
    Just curious, how is the SRX holding up? Is the vehicle reliable and holding together well since purchasing? The reliability ratings concerned me a bit.
  • srxlemonsrxlemon Member Posts: 2
    My 2007 SRX purchased 4 months ago is a LEMON. It is currently in the shop for the third time for a total of 28 days with a transmission issue. Now they are waiting on a new transmission, but none can be found. Time to enact the Lemon Law in Ohio.

V8 - Six speed Auto
  • sls002sls002 Member Posts: 2,788
    I have a V8 with the six speed auto and have had no problems as yet. My SRX is about 5 months old with over 8000 miles. I am curious as to what the transmission problem is.
  • srxlemonsrxlemon Member Posts: 2
    From the somewhat limited information I have, it was a bad casting resulting in metal shavings in the transmission. They are installing a brand new transmission this week.
    That should fix the transmission problems then. I have not had any problems with mine.
  • badsrxbadsrx Member Posts: 7
    I have a 2004 SRX. It has the V8 and every option. It has been the worst car I have ever owned. A partial listing of the problems include leaks into the rear storage compartments, corroding trim, sunroof will not open/close and is noisy, side view mirrors malfunction, coolant pump failure, heater core failure, defective brake pads, DVD system failure, failure to start for no reason, paint flaws etc. etc. The dealer has been of no assistance. GM has been worse. The Cadillac customer service people are experts at "managing" upset customers. They keep asking me what I want. I keep telling them all I want is a car that does not require service, on average, every three weeks. They treat me like I am trying to extort them. I have given up. This was the first and now last GM I will ever own. Do yourself a favor and buy an Acura MDX. I have had 2 Acuras and 2 Volvo's and they were superior in every regard.
  • ericzoomericzoom Member Posts: 213
    I'm sorry your having so many problems with your SRX.
    I have an 08 SRX V6, and "Knock on Wood" no problems yet.

Your 1st mistake is actually buying an SRX, let alone any GM product. My car is leased, and i won't ever go beyond the warranty period for any GM vehicle. I just don't think they seem to last in the long run. Just my opinion from experience with other GM leased vehicles.
    Point of clarification. The SRX is leased. I like the car however I have a bad one. There has never been a time during the duration of the lease where the car did not have a problem that required service or was waiting for parts. It has gotten to the point where I simply ignore smaller defects rather than endure another trip to the dealer (only to be told that they have to order the parts). The worst part is the attitude of GM. You would think that with less than 6 months left on the lease they might make some kind of deal in return for leasing another vehicle....nothing. My last 2 Volvo's saw the dealers contacting me to bring them back early and get another one (and they were great cars). GM can't see the forest for the trees. I have never been treated this way by any other company. I tried to escalate my concerns to more senior people at GM only to be told that "they don't talk to customers". That is a direct quote and one of the funniest comments I think I have ever heard. I have chosen to vote with my feet. None of my friends would ever consider buying/leasing a cadillac as a result.
    Pardon me, but you stated " It's the worst car I have ever owned ". I assumed the obvious.
    As far as your dealings with GM, I understand how that can be very frustrating.
    I'm surprised they couldn't have even done a pull-ahead on the lease, but i guess that would only apply if you leased another GM vehicle.
    I'm also curious that if you had such good luck with Volvo and Acura, why bother with Cadillac in the first place?
    The SRX is an interesting vehicle and was a good size for our family. It is my wife's vehicle and she liked the extra horsepower. I was willing to take the leap of faith and lease another Caddy or an Enclave but as I mentioned, GM/dealer were not willing to do anything. I have since been told that the 04 models were a disaster with many dealers having to make right with customers. What is most frustrating (and even funny) is getting Cadillac customer service on the phone and recounting the service history and making them state for the record that they see no problem with a vehicle that has had more than 20 service visits. It is like trying to convince them that the earth is flat. I have learned that the dealers have very little say in these matters and that they have a dim view of GM. The dealers get left holding the bag. This should be a concern to anyone looking at a Cadillac. If you have problems you are on your own.
  • twiztedninjatwiztedninja Member Posts: 1
    Ok so this is actually info for my brother who is looking to buy a car and he has found an '04 SRX v6. I have never owned a Cadillac in my life as all I have heard is nothing but bad news, from the engine to overall maintenance. I worked at an oil changing place for a while and every single one I saw was either leaking something or had some sort of malfunction. But as I know from experience a car forum can greatly help in getting to know what to look for and the usual problems that they have.

That said from the reading I've done it would seem that they have some sort of starting issue. As well I have read about a few owners having to leave their cars at the dealership for work for completely outrageous ammounts of time. The few good posts I have found were from people who have just bought them. I really don't think I have found one good one from anyone owning it for more than 5 months. Anywho, thanks for any comments and help. Once again this is for my less-than-computer-literate brother.
    Like I stated previously, the SRX I have is a lemon. I don't even bother to take it in for service anymore for minor things. By example...the dealershiop has ordered the wrong part for the side mirror malfunction 3 separate times. On two previous service visits the response I got was simply that they must have ordered the wrong part. The side mirror has not worked properly since the day I got it. It goes into the reverse parking position and then will not return automatically. A simple issue that has cost me many many hours for service visits.

Like I said...if you have problems you are on your own.

Buy an Acura...I have owned 2 and the only service they required was an oil change.
  • seaclusionseaclusion Member Posts: 22
    This is a replacement for an 04 MDX which was destroyed in an accident. The 05SRX V8 AWD had 25k when purchased with a certified warranty. Since January purchase date and 5000 miles later it has had a new computer (Delivered with inoperative cruise control) and recently they replaced the rear differential, and 2 tire sensors. No problems with the dealer.
    Wonderful car with every option.Sticker was 60k
  • hugo6hugo6 Member Posts: 1
    had my srx 2 1/2 yrs. the only maintence was a detached gas filling cap and rear wheel brake pads. the original goodyear eagle tires were awful---bald at 50k! replaced with micheline. I get the oil changed when it is 25%. I do all types of driving. I FIND THE SRX VERY RELIABLE IN ALL TYPES OF WEATHER AND DRIVING CONDITIONS. It isn't the softest ride in the world but it is a heavy duty crossover with european design. You feel the road. So far I am delighted with it in all aspects. I get an honest 20.3 mpg average and 22.5 on a 65 mph trip. I intend on driving it until it gets too old or craps out. Perhaps 3 more years. From dealing experiences I will only trade a worn out tired car and pay cash difference. ''BETTER BARGINING POWER''. Otherwise the dealers screw you on the trade. My local cadillac dealer went out of business and I was not informend where to go for repairs!! I bought a factory 6yr bumper to bumper warranty! My only complant is that if I need repair warranty work I have to travel 50 miles. So far, my srx runs like a clock. I RECOMMEND OWNING ONE. ''BUY AMERICAN''
    HUGO FROM MASSACHUSETTES.
  • juliebug8juliebug8 Member Posts: 4
    Please email me I am having insame problems I am working with a lawyer right now my srx is only 1 year old and been in the shop 78 days 6 weeks last time. I am paying $650 a month for a car that I can not drive it is gettting insane !!! I am gathering info from other people because cadillac is denying all my claims maybe we can help one another, I bought my car in CIncinnati ohio.

julie@bobandjuliejohnson.com
  • ctuptonctupton Member Posts: 1
    If you must by the Cadillac, buy it certified, and be close to a dealership. I'm so jaded that I can't give an unbiased review. Since owning our 04 SRX since Dec 06.
    1. Waterpump went out - left wife stranded
    2.Throttle body and fuel injection went out - left wife stranded
    3. Catalytic Converter went out - check engine light
    4. other sided cat conv went out - check engine light
    5. Rear driverside window fell into door - cable broke, made for cold wet ride home for daughter
    6. cat. convs went out again - making rattling sound - turns out part of recall
    7. rear window windshield washer pump went out - replaced
    8. mystery car won't start and car locks key in ignition - picked up from dealer today dealer replaced a relay (which roadside tech said was the ECU going out)
    9. Wife tried to start car this evening and number 8 re-occurred... so sitting in drive way w/ key locked in ignition. Cadillac suppose to tow it to dealer, but got a call at 10:10 pm that they will pick it up tomorrow around 9 am... so I get to ride in a tow truck to the caddy dealer to pick up my loaner, be several hours late for work all because I tried to support an american car company.

HOWEVER.... Sewell Cadillac in Grapevine Texas has treated my family and I like royality when we bring it in. Moritz on the other hand (Where we purchased the car) so far hasn't really cared or tried to make things right. Car must be certified used if you buy a used one. Currently leary of GM products which I know I could of gotten a rare lemon. I've put in a call to Cadillac customer service to see if they can help rectify the matter. We'll see ifthey can keep me a caddy driver not. If they stand behind their product and make things right I will let people know... if they don't I will equally let people know.

For what it is worth, when it works my wife really loves the car...
  • dvcdondvcdon Member Posts: 7
    The wife has a 2004 V6 AWD SRX. It's been one problem after another since the first few months, but she loves the thing and we purchased the GM extended warrenty. Thank Gawd we did. Off the top of my head the problems:

1. Power steering blow out and had to be towed. In the shop for more than a week awaiting parts.

2. Sunroof rattle. Been in the shop twice for this, but seems to be cured.

3. Rear center mount break light warped damaging the roof when the lift gate was opened. In the shop for several days.

4. Rear center mount light again for about half of the lights not working. Replaced again.

5. Mirrors dropping to the curb and not returning. Several trips to the shop until they found the cause, but still does it. Replaced a module.

6. Power steering blow out again and again towed in. Only a couple of days in the shop this time/

7. Both catylitic converters failed and replaced.

8. Rear storage area filled with water. In the shop for more than 10 days.

9. Radio failed, replaced.

10. Radio failed again, this time taking several CD's with it. Replaced but can not access personalization menu.

11. Both catylitic converters recalled (yep, the new ones) and replaced just last week.
  • jwilkinsjwilkins Member Posts: 2
    Help!what can we do about that this poping sunroof?It;s driving my wife crazy.Any
    ideas at all?
  • jwilkinsjwilkins Member Posts: 2
    Thats a lot going on.What did they do to fix that sunroof rattle.My sunroof rattle
    like crazy.
    ;) If your dealer cannot help try calling Cadillac Marketing.

1-800-333-4223

Hope this helps.
    I have had many of the same problems...mirrors that curb and then do not return, water in storage places, radio failures, coolant pump failure and sunroof problems.
    Trust us folks....nice concept but there is simply too much (questionable) electronics and other issues to consider this vehicle. Additionally, GM is in such a pickle these days that they have done NOTHING to even acknowledge that I have a lemon...that is the worst part. Buy an Acura/Volvo/Mercedes and save yourself the heartache. We do not have lemon laws in Canada (at least not ones that do not require that you become a part time lawyer and take a month off work) so my only recourse is to inform all who are interested about my experience. I have warned many off of ever buying a Caddy.

After all...fair is fair. I gave them 3 years to make good and they ignored me at every turn.
  • tomy3tomy3 Member Posts: 46
    My 2008 SRX (V-6) became disabled last week. The car suddenly stated running very rough, including knocking and pre-ignition backfire. Had it towed to dealer. First report was that it was a timing chain problem. Once that was replaced car still ran rough and they determined that a valve spring in the #1 cylinder was broken. Once that was fixed, they test drove the vehicle at which time the "check engine" light came on. This was reset and it happened a second time. The tech checked the fault code and determined with Cadillac Tech service that the crankshaft needs to be replaced henceforth they have to pull the engine from the vehicle to start this major repair.

Has anyone else experienced this type of problem? I feel very uncomfortable with a new car that has had to have the engine pulled. It is leased, what are my chances of getting another vehicle to replace this one or of Cadillac letting me out of the lease? I have called Cadillac Customer Assist who have assigned a case # and I am awaiting their response within the next 24-48 hours.

I would appreciate help from anyone who may have uncounted similar problems or has experience with Cadillac Customer Assit dealing with issues like mine.
    While I have not had major engine issues with my 04 V8 I have had every manner of other issues. The response I got from GM was that they would fix it under the terms of the warranty. They have showed no consideration whatsoever for my time or the aggravation caused to my wife and I. Our Cadillac ownership experience has been poor and I will never buy another GM product as a result of how I was treated.

I wish you luck with GM.
    Engine failures do not happen often, but they do fail on a small number of new cars. I would guess that the crankshaft was damaged when the engine started to run rough. Since you are leasing, I assume that you will be under warranty (5 years - 100,000 miles on drive train) till the end of the lease, so you have no real reason to worry except that something may go wrong again. However, something may go wrong with some other new car too, so....
    Sorry for your SRX. With the major issues you have make sure you get names of who you talk to, and make copies of everything. Even these posts. Don't rely on some official to tell you what was said at a later date. Make sure that you get some type of language that states you were not at fault.

Good Luck, Jim
  • tomy3tomy3 Member Posts: 46
    I just picked up my 2008 SRX which had been disabled and in the shop for about three weeks. It turns out that the diagnosis went from timing chain, to broken valve spring to crankshaft (some type of ring on the front of the shaft). Bottom line..Cadillac decided to replace the engine rather than risk more problems and a longer wait. The car is only four months old and has only 3500 miles. I have to say that service reps from Morris Cadillac of North Ridgeville, Ohio (I did not buy the car there, but it was the closest dealer for the tow truck) were very professional and accomodating, calling me at regular intervals to keep me posted on their progress. They supplied me will an Enterprise Rental Car (Cadillac DTS) free of charge as well. The customer service reps from Cadillac Detroit were supportive in every way and are sending me a check equal to one months lease payment as well. Although I was upset that a new car could have this type of problem I have to say that all from Cadillac from dealer to Corporate Customer Service were more than fair and very responsive to my needs. I have read time and time again about customers who were not as blessed as myself and I felt I needed to acknowledge my thanks to those at Cadillac who were involved.
    I just had my battery replaced today on my 08' SRX by GM roadside, in my driveway. Car was completely dead this morning, with only 10 months on the battery. Service guy told me this was the second battery he had to replace this morning, the first one being on a 08' CTS, which also has the same one in it.
    ;) I own a 04 SRX and had Cadillac roadside assistance replace my battery twice.
    The service man said that GM, for a number of years, has had a bad run of batteries.
    I'm looking to get an 09, and I think I'll replace the factory battery with a Die Hard right off the bat.

Happy motoring
    Jim
    Maybe that would explain the bunch of replacement batteries he had in his service truck, when he came to my house.
    If i was out of warranty, and didn't lease the vehicle, i might look into a Optima battery, rather than a Diehard or Delco.
  • ladytorialadytoria Member Posts: 1
    Hello tomy3
    I have a 2007 SRX and recently had some of the same problems. Oddly, I had just picked my car up from the dealer for another matter when my check engine light came on for the 2nd time in 2 weeks. I contacted ONSTAR, and while I was driving they were able to tell me that there is open GM bulletin on this car that affects the timing chain and the crankshaft. I was advised to take it directly to the dealership. I was told today that it would be at least a week before I am back in my auto. I am also concerned about how my vehicle will be after it is has been taken apart for the repair. The bulletin # is 2002963.
    I have not had any dealing with Cadillac Customer Assist, but I will be making a phone call today!!!
    :confuse: Typr in "SILENT RECALL" into your browser. There are a number of sites that list recalls.
    Jim
  • ben721364ben721364 Member Posts: 22
    We have an '07 SRX with 35,000 miles on the clock and it has been extremely reliable. My wife selected it after test driving several crossover vehicles including the Acura MDX. Her take on the MDX was that it was nice but lacked get up and go! Incidentally the SRX has the 8 cylinder engine and delivers 27-28 mpg on the highway.

We have also been pleased with the local Cadillac dealership.
    As a former owner of an 04 MDX I somewhat agree with your evaluation but it was a wonderful car overall.
    We bought an 05 SRX with 25k and it has been a reliable vehicle although the differential was replaced on warranty.
    However I can't believe your mileage stats. We too have a V-8 AWD and we're lucky to get 15 around town and 18-20 on the road. Very dissapointing.

seaclusion
  • srxchicksrxchick Member Posts: 3
    I have a 05 srx that is still under factory warranty until march 09 should I purchase the extended warranty and is it actually worth it ?
    My suggestion is based on my experience with an 04 SRX.
    We had serious and ongoing problems with the vehicle. Had we kept it we
    would have faced ongoing service issues that would have cost a lot.
    We got rid of the vehicle and purchased a Mazda CX9 which is far superior
    in every regard. The SRX we had was a lemon and GM did nothing. When we
    returned the vehicle at lease end the person that handled the inspection was
    embarrased and basically agreed that we had been treated poorly.

That was the first and last GM product we will ever own/lease. They get what they deserve in this case. I hope your experience is better. When they work right they are a very nice automobile.
    I also find that hard to believe you get 27-28 on the highway. My 08' SRX V6 is lucky to get low 20's on the hwy, and thats with a good wind on my back.
    Wow you really had a bad experience but at least now you have a reliable vehicle. So far my car has not given me any problems knock on wood. I called to get a price quote on an extended warranty and its about 3k for a 3 yr. warranty. I don't know what to do. My husband thinks we should buy the warranty because cadillac parts and labor can be very pricey. Good luck with your mazda its a very nice vehicle I thought about getting one. It was between the mazda, srx, and murano. I feel I made a good decision but when I here stories like yours it makes me extremely nervous.
    Question, if GM does not get bailed out and files for reorganization Chap 11,I wonder if the warranties will be null and void. So far I have 1 for each vehicle but this situation is not encouraging
    That's true I didn't even think about that, will the dealers still honor them, they better those warranties don't come cheap. Well I have a lot of thinking to do I'll just say a little prayer that my srx doesn't let me down. Luckily my car is still under factory warranty until 3-09. Thanks for the reply
  • help23help23 Member Posts: 1
    So, how has the Cadi been since the repairs? I received the terrible word yesterday that the timing chain and crankshaft need to be replaced in my 2008. I have only owned this vehicle for 6 months (purchased used with 19,000 miles). I thought I was making a good desicion to purchase this vehicle when my 2005 Durango constantly stalled while driving and the dealer could not fix it. I think the purchase of this Cadi may have been a big mistake. It rattles worse than my husbands 1991 Honda commuter car... I am very nervous going forward with this vehicle after the repairs. I do not trust the mechanics at the dealer and understand this is a major engine overhall.. Is it recommended that the engine just be replaced?