Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Maxima Tires and Wheels

mj69bowlmj69bowl Member Posts: 2
I'm looking to purchase new tires for my 03 Nissan Maxima. 225 50 R 17 tires. Is there another size tire that can be used. If so does anyone recommend any in particular? Where can I find? Price of the 225 50 R17 ranges from $580 (4 tires) to $1200 (4 tires) - Anything cheaper?

Comments

• mj69bowlmj69bowl Member Posts: 2
    I am looking for new tires for my 2003 Maxima. Does anyone know if another tire will work on the maxima other than the 225 50 R17's. If so does anyone know where to find it- and How much $$ it is... I'm getting quotes in the 800-1300 $ range... For four tires... Thank you
  • blufz1blufz1 Member Posts: 2,045
    Check out Discount Tire. Hope this helps.
  • aggiedogaggiedog Member Posts: 238
    Also try Tire Rack. They have an all season Kumho for under $100 per tire.
  • pernaperna Member Posts: 521
    You should really buy new rims if you're not going to buy the "standard" size tire.

Personally, I bought 4 Bridgestone Turanza LS-Vs (GREAT tire, BTW, destroys the Potenzas) for around $550-600 installed.

IMO, this really isn't a car you want to put cheap tires on.
  • maximaglemaximagle Member Posts: 1
    I am shopping tires also for my 03 Maxima GLE. Goodyear is recommending the Assurance Triple Tred but I am reading mixed reviews and I am not too concerned about wet/snow traction living in FL although we have heavy rains but my main concern is for ride comfort and longer wear. The Turanza's that are on there went for about 60K so far but need replacing soon.
    Anybody have any other experience or even comments on the Goodyear's?
  • alexstorealexstore Member Posts: 264
    I have assurance triple tread on my old Buick and out of all GoodYear tires I find them best compromise for rain and Snow, but unless you get snow in Florida this summer ( to the enjoyment of Gorbal warming, which stands for Al Gore and his global warming movie, supporters) you have no use for them. I have Eagle RS-As on my Maxima and I hate them for everything but their longevity. After 30k+ and 7500 mile tire rotations they look like I have only 5k miles on them. They lose traction easily in wet weather and forget about driving in the winter as they will slip easily.
  • stevencatystevencaty Member Posts: 11
    You can look on www.tirerack.com
    I will recomment this tire to you Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position price $147.00 I this used this for over year now. Good luck to you.
  • MootiwanMootiwan Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a new set of four BFGoodrich g-Force Sport 245/45ZR17 tires for my 2003 SE for $113 each at Costco and I've been extremely pleased about their handling. Some may say that they're a bit noisy but apparently I've grown used to it as I don't hear anything. Even so, it's a fair trade-off for their performance. Mind you, these handle well - extremely well - on dry pavement and that's all I have here in San Diego. And even when the roads get their occasional rain, they handle infinitely better than the original (and dangerous) Bridgestone Potenzas.
  • cogitojazzcogitojazz Member Posts: 14
    Greetings. I need new tires NOW as I had a blow out today on Cooper tires [never buy those again]. I live in SE Ohio, so snow is common though not serious. Seeing mixed reviews on Yokohama, Bridgestone Turanza and Potenza, and Goodyear. Car has 76K, is in great shape and I'm planning to keep it. Any recommendations will be GREATLY appreciated.
    Thanks!
    Mike
  • suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    I have a 2001 GLE. Last fall I bought the Bridgestone Turanza Serenity and am very happy with them. They are quiet and got us through the ice and snow of winter beautifully. I also live in Ohio but north of Columbus.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • smarty666smarty666 Member Posts: 1,503
    I wanted to see what people's opinion are of the OEM tires Nissan is putting on the new Maxima; I have a 2010 SV without the sports package so I got the 18 inch Goodyear RS-A tires; while not the worse tire I've ever had they certainly are not the best either; I do have to say they are one of the noisiest tires I have ever had on a car and are so-so when it comes to handling; if anyone has an 09 Max I'd love to know how the tread is holding up on the RS-A's or if they have had to replace the tires already; thoughts, info, and opinions are welcomed!!!
    I have 05 and nissan used RS-A tires since 04 model. I would say they last 80k+ and less noisy than the new tires I installed. Performance / snow / wet traction is their low point.
    I replaced them with ContiPro Extreme Ultra high performance All-Season tires and my car became a beast. I drove them in snow storm and in heavy rain and they are excellent. and dry performance is at least 35-50 % better than RS-As Mind that I haven't had any modifications done to my car. Even shocks are originals.
    On the negative : ContiPro Extreme tires are directional so their rotation every 7500 miles involves large investment. I have used 1/10 of a tread in 5k miles so my assumption they will not last as long as Good Year RS-As. Noise level now is much higher than OEMs.
    In my mind still the positive outweigh the negatives plus these new tires cost 40% less than RS-A. I can live with more noise knowing that they are safer for me and my passengers.

P.S. I have no clue if Continental's breaking performance is better than RS-A as I almost never break hard.
  • axeldogaxeldog Member Posts: 1
    Since I bought Bridgstone turanza Serenity tires for the 17" wheels on 2000 Maxima, snow accumulates and freezes on wheel well and mud flaps thereby impeding the tires. Any suggestions?
  • sansircarsansircar Member Posts: 2
    i tend to replace my 4 car tires for - Nissan Maxima 2006 SL car. I live in the east coast. which tire would a good choice for wet/dry/snow tractions and long life.
  • sansircarsansircar Member Posts: 2
    CONTINENTAL'S CONTIEXTREME PERFORMANCE DWS( which stand for dry wet snow) i replaced oem RSA's and these tires literally transformed my MAx. I wrote about these tires on another forum on edmunds. There are 2 issues I have with them. First based on normal driving they will not last even close to RSA's 80k+. My guess their range is about 30-40k. Second they are softer and as a result if your car is parked it takes time to make them round. IN reference to noise levels they are a little bit higher than OEMs.
  • 530ir1150r530ir1150r Member Posts: 263
    My daughter-in-law has a 2006 Maxima with 17" wheels. I will not have access to her owners manual for a week or more; what pressure should she keep in her tires both normally and loaded?

Thank you.
  • bneeds22sbneeds22s Member Posts: 1
    What are the best wheels and/or tires to buy for a 2008 nissan maxima se? what's the best place to buy them? discount tire? Online?
  • ninat2ninat2 Member Posts: 1
  • bdvance1bdvance1 Member Posts: 4
    Greetings: My daughter is driving a 2002 maxima se we purchased from a friend of mine about two years ago. I have known this individual since we were in middle school (MANY years ago) and he has always taken very good care of his vehicles. Not long before we purchased the car from him he replaced the original tires (225/50R17 93V) with ones that are 225/50R94W. I would have thought there should not be any problem with these but my daughter, who lives in Wisconsin (it snowed some between where she lives and Minneapolis on Sunday) says she is having a horrible time maintaining any sort of traction in the snow. She complained about this last winter also, just not as much. These tires have approx. 40k miles on them and they may just be shot, who knows. I'll have a chance to check them out on "turkey day" since she will be coming to our place for Thanksgiving (live in Iowa). Does anyone have any suggestions for new tires for this car that would provide good traction in the snow? Hate to head for the tire dealers since there is only one answer as far as they are concerned, "You need new tires"! Don't necessarily want to put "snow tires" on this car, but really feel a need to do something quickly since it's my daughter's (and granddaughter's) safety we're talking about. Thanks for any help anyone might be able to provide.
    If she needs all season tires. I love continentals conti pro extremes. Snow and rain performance is OK , though they will never replace dedicated snow tires