Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Rendezvous

Comments

• nextmoonnextmoon Member Posts: 386
    I have another sort of problem with my engine bay. Some kind of rodent has been sleeping in my engine bay. A very, very bad rodent that likes to gather food and place it on my air filter housing. Now and then nature would call and it goes (both 1 and 2 if you know what I mean) all over the top of my engine where "3400" is marked!
    I startled it once when it was in my old car when I popped the hood open. Going to get a mouse trap and place it right on top of the engine block.
  • 90mercsable90mercsable Member Posts: 48
    Hi, nextmoon and others,
    Regarding my previous post..

I left my RDV with the dealer today. On my return, he presented me with a carton of about 20 or 30 acorns, plus two totally chewed through air filtration system filters. He had to order the filters for installation later. Apparently a squirrel used the system for a nest or place to store away his food. The dealer says it probably came through a flap in front. Does anyone know of a screen to prevent this happening again?
  • tmakogontmakogon Member Posts: 74
    Last night we drove on a flat smooth road at a constant speed of 50 MPH. The current fuel mileage was sustained for several miles at 31.6 MPG. That was after I adjusted the pressure in all wheels back to 35 psi. The engine RPM was constant at 1500. There was no rain or wind, engine was warmed up, atmospheric pressure was normal, and temperature outside was 56°F. This is AWD CXL.

Regards,
    Taras
  • nextmoonnextmoon Member Posts: 386
    tmakogon - that's incredible MPG! Did you have the cruise control on and what type of gas do you use?

90mercsable - Do you mean the squirrel chewed through the piping in your engine bay? I'm not sure where I understand, the air filtration system is a plastic box containing the air filter? My problem just got worst. I put out mouse traps with peanut butter, one under the front of the car and the other on the engine. Both traps were set off and bait was licked clean but no catches. So I removed the traps. Next day I go check again and there's a blood bath in my engine bay! Something bigger had killed the mouse and dragged it back to devour on top of my engine so blood and guts were all over my 3400. It's not fun cleaning that stuff off. Anyone have suggestion of what to clean with as not to affect the electrical wiring?
    Gasoline was 87 octane from Sam's Club, about 1/3 tank full. Both the cruise control and A/C were off. Tires are Uniroyal TigerPaws.

Regards,
    Taras
  • 90mercsable90mercsable Member Posts: 48
    nextmoon-

Sorry to hear of your problem. These rodents can be truly annoying.

In my case, the problem was not the engine air filter, but the heating/cooling vent system. There is a trap door in the back of the glove box. The 2 filters are behind it (may only be in CXL?). It(they) must have come in through a front flap somewhere, and didn't know how to get out the same way. Then went in farther, came across filters and started chewing!

Anyone familiar with this system? Where is the front end inlet of this system?
  • dmingerdminger Member Posts: 10
    I'm not sure if I'm in the right discussion group for this question but here goes!! Does anyone know how I can order an RDV CXL with all the trimmings except the third row seat? Is it possible to contact someone at Buick to special order an RDV this way? I havent bought the RDV yet but I love this car. The third row seat is a great idea but it doesnt appear to fold flat down. Maybe there's a trick to it. Does anyone know? I just find it a little annoying. All the brochures say it does but it doesnt seem that way to me. If I could just order the CXL Plus package (that has everything) without the third row seat I'd be a happy camper. Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!!
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    Go to gmbuypower.com and try to "build your own" CXL without the 3rd row. I'm pretty sure the luxury package doesn't include it.

BTW, the 3rd row does fold flat.

Good luck.
  • dmingerdminger Member Posts: 10
    I just checked Gmbuypower.com, as you suggested. I'm pretty sure you can't order the highest "package" (i.e. the CXL Plus FWD Package), also known as package SD, without getting the third row seat. It comes included. The reason I want to order the SD package is that I pretty much want everything (automatic dual zone controlled air-conditioning, Hud, etc.). But no matter how I configure my dream car at GMbuypower.com, I wind up with the seat!! However, if the seat does fold down flat as you say, then I can live with it. I just havent seen it completely flat at the dealerships. Maybe the seats folds down flater after time??
  • theduketheduke Member Posts: 50
    FYI, the 3rd row seat does fold flat - however, if you think that the 6 inch extra depth is someting that you may need (to stand up bikes e.g.) - the seat can be remove in about 10 minutes - keep it in the garage for the time you need it - good reselling point-
    I do not use my 3rd row often (so its stay folded) and I forget about it, until I need it and flip flop and here are 2 extra seats with head rest and shoulder harness- hard to beat.
  • melsnymelsny Member Posts: 35
    I purchased exactly what dminger asked for. I got a CXL AWD with everything except the towing package with no third row seat. In its place the Rdv came with a removable storage system where I can stand shopping bags, etc. The storage system utilizes the space that the seat folds into.
  • kenymkenym Member Posts: 405
    Brian have you seen the new Murano by Nissan. It is a crossover sport-utility. I think it is really sharp. It was just introduced but already up on Edmunds.
    ~Ken
    I've seen pictures only. It's small, but very stylish. I like it for what it is, although if I was shopping for a 5 passenger SUV, the Kia Sorento would be at the top of my list.

BTW, on a completely different note, I just helped my in-laws trade in their '98 Chevy Venture for an '03 Honda Odyssey...what an awesome minivan!

The Odyssey is big (but drives as though it's much smaller), well built, has cool power sliding doors, and has a silky smooth 240 hp engine. It does flex and rattle some (as I would expect from such a big, hollow box) and the seats are somewhat uncomfortable.

The RDV, by comparison (and for about the same price), has All Wheel Drive, a tighter body (no flex), similar build quality, has a much smoother, quieter ride, similar handling, much better seat comfort, and many more amenities (auto dim mirror, 2 driver memory, rear sonar, DIC, etc). If only it had the Honda's wonderful 3.5L engine...
  • dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    Local Nissan dealer has one on the lot. Looks pretty neat but boy is it pricey.. starting at C$40K, about $10K higher than where the RDV starts.
    There was an article in our Sunday paper about the Murano. According to the article pricing started at $28,200 for the FWD and came with a 245-horsepower V-6. The AWD was $29,800. About the same as the RDV just a smaller vehicle. Although the article said it was 9" longer than the RX300. However I think I agree with Brian the
    Kia Sorento is a better buy.

~Ken
    Well, it's too early to "build" one on the Nissan website, but according to Edmunds, an AWD model with decent equipment will be about $34,000.

9" longer than the RX? Wow! It's hard to tell from the photos just how big the Murano is. To me, it looks like a Toyota Matrix/Mitsubishi Airtrek sized tall wagon.

The Murano's best feature is, no doubt, that amazing VQ series engine. Personally, I prefer more traditional proportions for an "SUV", although overall, I like what Nissan is doing with (exterior) design right now. I don't like their interiors so much (kinda 80's looking inside).
    Wouldn't touch a Kia. They appear to be good value but I don't trust them yet.

Saw a Murano on the street today. The ad in the paper said starting at C$39,900. The RDV starts at about C$31K and with incentives you can get one for C$29K less negotiations.
    Brian the Murano is a pretty big vehicle. It is 8" bigger than the RX not 9" like I posted before. However it has 18" wheels and weighs in at 4000 pounds. It is about the size of a minivan, but doesn't have sliding doors. It only has a ground clearance of about 5 to 6" (same as a car) so the off road capabilities are limited.

Steve whats going on at the Town Hall? Are they doing construction or something. I had a terrible time signing on. Kept getting the error message "Page Cannot be found"
    ~Ken
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Ken, there was some tweaking today related to speed complaints. I had problems briefly around 11am EST but only for 3 or 4 minutes. I'll forward the email you sent me to the programming staff. Apologies!

Steve, Host
  • dirkdaddydirkdaddy Member Posts: 313
    FYI - the high horsepower quoted on the Nissan VQ v6 is at a high rpm not normally used. I know, I have a 2000 Maxima 5 speed. Yes, I know how to drive. The low-RPM power of the motor is pretty dang weak, and I would take the 3400 for moving a heavy SUV over that VQ, even as old as the 3400 is. And its not bulletproof, there are people who are having O2 sensors burn out like mine in <12K miles and coil packs, etc. Buts not a bad motor, but its better suited to the Max or a lighter car.

DD
    I wonder if it's tuned differently for the Murano.

Couldn't Nissan adjust the timing for more low end torque at the expense of some breathing room up top?

Or does it have VVT?
  • cfocfocfocfo Member Posts: 147
    Long time car shopper, now you guys have me looking at that Murano !!! I did some research on it today and I am going to test drive very soon.

I like the gas mileage and it's roomy like the RDV, (I mean head & leg room roomy). No deals though.

BTW, was it determined that there will be a 2004 RDV or Rainier or both for 2004 ?
    Tim the Rainier is replacing the Olds Bravada for 2004. From what I understand Buick may also receive the Silhouette for 2004. They are not replacing the RDV just being added to the Buick line

~Ken
    Next generation GM vans will have a Buick version and the Rainier is an addition to the RDV, not a replacement. Pictures I have seen look pretty good.
    Edmunds lists the Rainier under the RDV as the future 2004 Future Vehicle.

http://www.edmunds.com/new/buick/index.html

Tim scroll down to the bottom of my web page and check out the new Rainier. www.geocities.com/myersworld2001
  • dws41dws41 Member Posts: 12
    With about 8 inches of snow in NW New Jersey last Thursday, it gave me a chance to "test" how the Rendezvous handles in the snow.
    I was impressed!!! The ABS did exactly what it was supposed to do. The "4 wheel drive on demand" was magnificent... and could be used to "pull" the vehicle out of a skid (which was intentionally created on a back road).
    With the inclement weather, the car was impressive (although the MPG dropped from 20+ to 17- .)
    DWS41
  • netnerdnetnerd Member Posts: 118
    Hi,

Just wanted to chime in that my '02 Rondy was incredible in the snow we got last Thursday here in Philly. We got about 8 inches. I had to drive from center city to a western suburb at 8:30 in the morning (then home again around Noon when they finally came to their senses and sent us home!). I felt so in control and so confident and safe. The all wheel drive was definitely working for me and I really could tell a difference between my driving experiences without it. The ABS has also performed well on icy patches.

I LOVE THIS CAR!!!!
  • bsflawbsflaw Member Posts: 1
    Just bought CLX 2 wheel drive with tow package. Went through this whole thing about whether it was really a chick car or not. Bottom line the truck has so much versatility for the value. I think it compares favorable to the Mercedes and BMW. Obviously lacks in horsepower but just came back from 500 Mile trip at 90 MPH the whole way. It has plenty. I have a ski boat and it pulls it just fine. (Live in Fla)
  • dorene1dorene1 Member Posts: 75
    We're going through flash floods and drenching rains; as with the snow, the traction system is just great. While other vehicles are getting some slide action, my RDV is solid. I don't have to avoid flooded intersections like many of my friends do. Also not feeling any impact with windstorms. It's a very safe feeling while in hazardous conditions!
  • montreidmontreid Member Posts: 127
    Live out here in Northern California with the recent winds this past weekend and downpours. The tires gripped well, and despite 50MPH gusts, the RDV didn't move over like my Pathfinder did in the past. Clearance for those flooded intersections were not problem either.
    I have been noticing a strange similarity between the audio systems in some General Motors vehicles. The CD changer that we have in our '02 CXL looks exactly like the ones advertised in Hummer H2 and Denali XL. The stereos in the latter two vehicles are Bose. Sound quality of the CXL system is superb. Do I dare to draw a parallel here? Click on the links and decide for yourself.

H2

http://www.hummer.com/hummerjsp/popups/h2/radio_popup.html

Denali XL (click on stereo)

http://www.gmc.com/gmcjsp/yukon/amenities/flash_denali.jsp

CXL

http://www.buick.com/zoom.html?rendezvous/rz030

Regards,

Taras

• bowdon51bowdon51 Member Posts: 9
    Hello! I'm new to the discussion, but I tune in pretty often. I have a question for anybody with stats or experience. How safe are the third row seats in the RDV. I like the size of the Envoy XL, but the miles per gallon of the RDV. Problem is the third seat seem pretty close to the tailgate. I would hate to lose a passenger for a few dollars in gas mileage. Thanks
    While waiting for responses here, you may want to browse the Popular Third-row Car Seats May Kill Your Kids? discussion.

Steve, Host
    Thanks for that sight, it is very helpful. Sounds like non of the mid-size suvs are very safe and I'm assuming the same stands true for the sports wagons as well. Would you recommend this type vehicle (crossovers) over the wagons such as the volvos, saabs or outbacks . We will do little if any off roading and the biggest concerns for extra seating is carpooling to sport practice with the kids and fuel economy with the constant changes of gas prices.
    Anyone parents want to weigh in on the Rendezvous as a kid hauler?

Steve, Host
    I was asking the same question awhile back, about the saftey of the 3rd row seat. And an article came out in the USA today regarding that saftey. I will try and find the link, but the RDV was specifically mentioned, (8 inches from 3rd row headrest to the back glass). So no matter how careful you drive, it's alittle tense putting the little ones back there. If the guy behind you doesn't notice that the lights have changed, well ........
    I bet this is it:

Dangers lurk for kids in popular third-row seats (USA Today 3/01/02)

Steve, Host

Looked at it again and remembered why I vetoed that third row !
    Thanks again! Being a visual learner that I am, that video really put things in prospective. It's great that I saw that because my next thought was to look in the area of a full size suvs, but it's clear that the third row is not safe period. Do you think they will start rating the rear impact like they do with front in side any time soon or would it become to much of a cost factor for the car companies. It seems like it should be rated because most of the accidents I see are not head on, but somebody running into someone elses rear.
  • enniskillenenniskillen Member Posts: 87
    We wanted the third row, but don't use it very often. We have 2 girls and I insist that they sit in the middle row. We use the third seat for short trips jockeying around the kids friends.
    I would prefer never to use it, but unfortunately about 1% of the time, we must, and I still think that seat is safer than the back of an econo car.

Jeff
    Thanks Jeff, kind of sound like we are in the same boat. You got a good point about the econ car or no seats at all.
    Motore Trend's Rumour site has the RDV getting GM's new V-6 3.6L engine along with mild redesigns to the interior with that fake wood trim!

"New Global V-6 Engine Family
    GM will also launch an all-new high-feature family of dual overhead camshaft V-6 engines, with a displacement range capable of 2.8 liter to 3.8 liter. Using advanced technology features in a well-refined, high-performance package, the new V-6 engines are intended to satisfy powertrain requirements for premium and high-performance vehicles across the world's automotive markets. The first member of the new global V-6 engine family to debut will be the 3.6-liter V-6. Producing 255 horsepower (190 kW) and 250 lb-ft of torque (339 Nm) (preliminary), the new V-6 delivers outstanding performance across an exceptionally wide segment of its powerband spectrum.

Incorporating variable intake and exhaust valve timing technology, the new V-6's control system phases each of the engine's four camshafts for optimum starting, idle, low rpm torque and high rpm power. This enables drivers to experience impressive drivability and power while producing lower emissions and achieving greater fuel efficiency.

Other features common to all engines in GM's new global V-6 engine family include all-aluminum construction, 4 valves per cylinder, roller-finger followers, electronic throttle control (ETC), durable forged steel crankshaft, special piston-cooling oil jets, coolant-loss protection software, GM's Oil Life Monitoring System, 32-bit microprocessor, coil on plug ignition and iridium spark plugs."
    I wonder if that would be the standard engine or just an optional one.
  • dragontamerdragontamer Member Posts: 16
    Hi y'all

Proud to report that our Rendezvous performed simply amazing this past Christmas season. We got quite a bit of the white stuff here in central PA. Anyways, the trek over to grandmas house was as sure-footed as usual. Did not get stuck at all, the versa-trak worked flawlessly.

Here's the real interesting part. As we were packing up to go home, two people and myself had to help push a Land Rover Freelander(my wifes aunts vehicle) out of the driveway!!?? Yes, it was in 4wd, and the driveway was tilted in such a fashion that it would benefit its extraction on its own accord. Our RDV pulled out of the driveway without assistance thankyou. I was beaming from ear to ear at this point. Rendezvous has been good to us for over 12,000 trouble-free miles now. Looking forward to many more.

Happy holidays to all
  • lswaidzlswaidz Member Posts: 92
    I've been doing some searching around for a while and found a good document with a lot of info on the new engines, including application and total horsepower data which will be very interesting to read. Looks like the 3.6 should put out about 260 hp in the AWD format... oddly enough, the engine family can produce up to 370hp and 350lb of torque... and that's all natural aspiration.

http://209.61.155.43/moframes/division/powertrain/press_kits/global_v6/docs/overview.htm

~Lance

I bought this year! :( It was necessary though because our Volvo is nearing lease-end. Thanks Iswaidz, I was trying to find a good article, but could only find the smaller press releases.

This should give a major "look-at-me" again to those critics...much like the redesigned Pathfinder got after its first engine got replaced.

Dindak, I would hope that this would be class-wide instead of an option, thus bringing the entire class up (at least standard for the CXL, if not throughout).
  • lswaidzlswaidz Member Posts: 92
    As far as I can tell it's going to be a complete refit of the entire GM V6 series. GM has been using the same V6 design since, I think, the 60's. Overhead valves are going to be a thing of the past coming about 2006 fot GM which will be a good thing. Buick will also be introducing a minivan in 2007 since the Olds van will be history. Signs are pointing to a Rendezvous phase out sometime after 2007. With the Rainier in it's 3rd year of production and the new small SUV coming out in 2006, it seems the minivan will take the place of the RDV which doesn't really surprise since I don't think GM was very happy with the market penetration of the RDV. They had hoped a lot of people would opt for a RDV over a minivan but I think a lot of people found that the RDV just wasn't what it should have been so it seems the sliding doors will be the future of the RDV platform. Oh well, hopefully by the time the 2007 RDV comes out I'll be driving a Porsche by then anyway ;-)

~Lance

ps - happy new years!
    I have seen nothing to suggest the Rendezvous will be phased out. The vehicle has attracted a lot of people who would not have bought a Buick/GM also. I highly doubt GM will get rid of it, sales numbers have been very good.