Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura TL Bluetooth/HandsFree Link Problems

Comments

• brendconbrendcon Member Posts: 4
    My 2006 Acura Tl bluetooth also stopped working. I researched and after hours and hours of research, I got the answer. Oemacuraparts has the bluetooth module for $185 including shipping and tax--its under the interior lighting section--TELEPHONE ASSY., HANDS FREE *NH528L* (MOON LAKE GRAY)--they also have the two other colors. They shipped me the part in 3 days---its the exact part and color of my current overhead console. I looked up service bulletin 05-020 and this tells you exactly how to take this apart--very, very easy. I took it apart ahead of time to know what I was doing and it took me 8 minutes to replace this and put back once it came in. I also have navigation and did not replace any delay part that is mentioned in the service bulletin. Once I replaced this part, the bluetooth worked correctly immediately. You do have to reprogram it and store all your numbers again, but this was by far the cheapest and easiest fix out there.
  • turieturie Member Posts: 9
    Thx for the posting! I just redid mine and like you said by far the cheapest way to go... I also emailed the Cerritos Acura Dealer about this and they have agreed to refund my 115$ diagnostic fee (Credit I should on next service). The person I talked to stated that Acura has lowered the cost of the HFL unit since (THEY KNOW ITS AN ISSUE ON THE TL and MDX) that is why the cost is now 177$. I somewhat believe this and somewhat think they are full of it! I say that because i dont believe the unit used to cost 600$ which is what I was also told. I think this unit was maybe 300$ or so at one time. anyways thx! and if anyone happens to have an issue like this and the dealer quotes you anything above 300$ message me and I will send you the email I received.
  • robarorarobarora Member Posts: 2
    Turie, I attempted to message you but there didn't seem to be a way to send a message just you.

I have been having problems with my HFL for a couple months and have just been making due without it. However now, my battery keeps dying because apparently the HFL is draining it.
    I took the car into my local Acura Dealer (Acura of Pleasanton, CA) and they want $150 just to diagnose it and another $500 if it needs replacement. Could you send me whatever information you were able to gather? Also did you just replace the module yourself or did you have the Dealership take care of it for you?
    Thanks for the help!
    edited October 2011
    Ok 1st here is where you can buy the part at-

http://www.oemacuraparts.com/index.php?p=page&page_id=part_picker&make=Acura&mod- - el=TL&year=2005&version=4DR+BASE&transmission=KA5AT&system=PARTS&component=INTER- - IOR+LIGHT

8 39770-SEP-A02ZB TELEPHONE ASSY., HANDS FREE *YR167L* (LIGHT TAN) $181.17 $173.93 1 Add to Cart Add to Cart
    8 39770-SEP-A02ZC TELEPHONE ASSY., HANDS FREE *YR240L* (LIGHT CREAM IVORY) $203.70 $195.55 1 Add to Cart Add to Cart
    8 39770-SEP-A02ZA TELEPHONE ASSY., HANDS FREE *NH528L* (MOON LAKE GRAY) $181.17 $173.93 1 Add to Cart Add to Car

One of those should be the color you need, also it literally takes about 10 minutes to do this yourself- locate the Acura Service Bulletin 05-020 (Google it) and it gives you the directions to fix it.

think this is the link- www.acuraworld.com/tsb/3gTL/b05-020.pdf

Any other questions let me know.

O.o you didn't pay the Stearlership anything right?
  • robarorarobarora Member Posts: 2
    Nope, I did not pay the Stealership anything. Thanks again!
  • naga2naga2 Member Posts: 2
    I brought my 2006 TL for A service on Saturday and to see why my HFL wasn't working. I was told it is not covered by warranty (I purchased the 100,000 extended warranty). I asked them how would I be able to break it and they said I can't, so I asked why isn't it covered by the extended warranty? They said the wording is in the small print of the extended warranty contract.

After reviewing all these complaints, It is an Acura service issue not an owner issue. I am on my 4th Acura and told the service rep, to discuss my issue with the Service and Sales Manager and call me back with a better resolution. I'll let you know what the response is later.

naga2
  • kari524kari524 Member Posts: 7
    Just so you know--I purchased a CPO 2005 Acura TL 3 yrs ago and also have the extended 100,000 mile warranty. The HFL failed about a year and a half ago. I called the dealer where I purchased it, brought it in and said I was not paying for it because it should be covered and they did not charge me. The dealer told me normally without the Warranty I would be out 600+ dollars. Not sure if it being a Certified Pre-Owned has anything to do with it but I would go back to your dealer again and complain. My dealer also put 1 odd ball tire on my car too when I purchased it--which my mechanic spotted during my 1st oil change and tire rotation--I made them replace my tire too--and made them match it to my existing brand--again--no out of pocket from me. You have to be tough with these guys or they take advantage of you. Its not like this is a "throw away" car like some econ car..These are higher end cars and I expect the dealer to treat me and my $$ with respect. Good luck ;)
  • cece6cece6 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 MDX and my handsfree button just stopped working completely, the car does not recognize my phone at all, in fact nothing happens whatsoever when the HF button is pushed. I was quoted over $500 to fix it. If there is a way for me to get the email you reference I would love to have it.
  • naga2naga2 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for your reply!

I took my 2006 Acura TL for maintenace service on 10/22 and to my amazement they took care of my HFL without much hassle. I did agree to pay $50, since some of the other messages commented that they agreed to pay a minimal amount to ensure they have a warranty on the newly installed HFL.
    Hi there if it was you who tried to Instant Message me go ahead and send me your email address.

Thx
    Turie
  • eschpeciallyeschpecially Member Posts: 1
    My 2005 Acura TL would not start this morning. I replaced the battery in July. When trying to start the car, I had lights but the battery would not turn over the motor. After jumping the battery, the car started. Reading all of these blogs I suspect an HFL issue. My HFL stopped working in April and I did not think about having it fixed. After reading these blogs, it makes sense. Also, I noticed that there is something in the electrical system that is drawing energy from the battery while the car is not on. The Acura Stealership wants $120 an hour to diagnose an electrical problem and say it will take 2-3 hours to diagnose. I have read the blogs and found the Service bulletin as well as replacement HFL.

Big Question??? Will the car continue to work and stop drawing from the battery if I remove the HFL and NOT replace it with anything? I do not need the Bluetooth feature and I would like to save the $180. But only if this will solve the problem and not cause any future problems.

If you have suggestions, I would really appreciate it!
  • jkjhooksjkjhooks Member Posts: 3
    I've had no problems with the HFL, until recently... Took it to my regular service guy, after my battery would drain when sitting for a very short period of time. Battery is brand new, and the charging system is working properly. There is, however, between a 2.5 and 5 amp draw on the battery when it sits. They've tracked it back to what they think is the HFL.

I can't find a fuse/circuit diagram anywhere to make sure, but he noted it was a 40 amp fuse (#15) under the hood, and fuse #6 from inside the cabin.

I've called Acura, and of course they want to run a $125 per hour diagnostic to likely tell me the same thing.

The Service Manager at Acura told me this is a known issue, and will likely result in either needing to disable or replace the HFL module...cost of $750.

In some other threads on this forum, I have seen the replacement part, and TSB 05-020, where it actually appears to only cost $180 for the part, and the billable hours for the change is .3 hours.

I'm hoping someone else has a little background in this, or maybe knows where I can find a circuit map to do some of my own verfication.
    I've had no problems with the HFL, until recently... Took it to my regular service guy, after my battery would drain when sitting for a very short period of time. Battery is brand new, and the charging system is working properly. There is, however, between a 2.5 and 5 amp draw on the battery when it sits. They've tracked it back to what they think is the HFL.

I can't find a fuse/circuit diagram anywhere to make sure, but he noted it was a 40 amp fuse (#15) under the hood, and fuse #6 from inside the cabin.

I've called Acura, and of course they want to run a $125 per hour diagnostic to likely tell me the same thing.

The Service Manager at Acura told me this is a known issue, and will likely result in either needing to disable or replace the HFL module...cost of $750.

In some other threads on this forum, I have seen the replacement part, and TSB 05-020, where it actually appears to only cost $180 for the part, and the billable hours for the change is .3 hours.

I'm hoping someone else has a little background in this, or maybe knows where I can find a circuit map to do some of my own verfication.
    I would suggest using service bulletin 05-020 and follow the directions of prying the tab of the overhead lighting console, pulling down, taking out the 4 bolts, and disconnecting the bluetooth module. This takes about 10-15 minutes and is very simple to just unplug it.. I never work on cars and this was very simple for me. I changed out my module and it works better than the original--so I guess it may have never worked 100 percent correctly. I think if you try taking out the fuse you may lose other items connected on that fuse. Only 10 minutes to disconnect the module and you will know for sure.
  • rwsmith13rwsmith13 Member Posts: 2
    Add me to the list! My HFL died last week! When I bought the car, it was one of the reasons that persuaded me to pick the car! Very disappointed that it costs so much to replace the unit! Not a very happy camper here! And to think, I am deciding what new car to buy right now....this latest example has me looking elsewhere! Acura used to be such a great car!
  • rwsmith13rwsmith13 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks to all of you digging deep on this! Will order part and put it in myself! Again, thanks!
  • ynohtnaynohtna Member Posts: 3
    Wow! What's with everyone's bluetooth failing at the same time? My 2006 TL HFL started acting up last week. Button doesn't do anything, or sometimes work (usually not). Got it to pair today but it dropped in the middle of a call.
  • calbearstevecalbearsteve Member Posts: 2
    I have the same issue described with my 2006 Acura TL. I am planning on using bulletin 05-020 to replace the HFL unit myself. This would be my first foray into messing with electronic components in a car. Am I correct in assuming I should disconnect the car's battery before opening up the roof console and replacing the HFL? Or is that overkill for this type of project?
    No reason to disconnect the battery. Overkill yes. You will need a set of feeler gauges--at Lowes for $6 or $7---to take down the overhead light console without causing any damage. Real simple......
  • synnectionsynnection Member Posts: 3
    Hello all - just want to report one last thing before you give in or either replace the HFL...

**Let me preface this with my HFL was still "working" it just would not recognize or sync with and phones**

I was about to replace mine when i decided to try the old one again just for Sh!ts and giggles... lo and behold i realized that the HFL is actually 2 pieces that connect at a relitively thin connector. since there didnt seem to be a solid connection. when i pressed them back together and tried to reconnect the phone - VIOLA! - came right back on! i just used some electrical tape to wrap around the two pieces (keep in mind not to cover any of the slots or holes for mounting).

**Also i need to mention i did this with the car still ON. ive read alot about how the bluetooth module gets stuck while "booting up" and never finishes..
    but perhaps, like pcs sometimes do, it doesnt shut down properly leaving it kind of in limbo.**

so...
    1. make sure car is running
    2. dismount and disconnect bluetooth
    3. check that connection is secure between two boards (electrical tape)
    4. with car still running, reconnect power wires
    5. test bluetooth with phone - first make sure connects and makes calls, then move on to making sure it reconnects after car is shut off and then back on

Disconnected the battery for about 15 min and tried again - still worked
    Restarted car multiple time - still worked
    Shut off bluetooth on phone, and turned back on - still worked

If all those pass then you may have just averted at minimum a $200 mini-crisis.

Good luck!
    Hello all - just want to report one last thing before you either give in or replace the HFL...

**Let me preface this with my HFL was still "working" it just would not recognize or sync with and phones**

I was about to replace mine when i decided to try the old one again just for Sh!ts and giggles... lo and behold i realized that the HFL is actually 2 pieces that connect at a relitively thin connector. since there didnt seem to be a solid connection. when i pressed them back together and tried to reconnect the phone - VIOLA! - came right back on! i just used some electrical tape to wrap around the two pieces (keep in mind not to cover any of the slots or holes for mounting).

**Also i need to mention i did this with the car still ON. ive read alot about how the bluetooth module gets stuck while "booting up" and never finishes..
    but perhaps, like pcs sometimes do, it doesnt shut down properly leaving it kind of in limbo.

so...
    5. test bluetooth with phone - first make sure connects and makes calls, then move on to making sure it reconnects after car is shut off and then back on

Good luck!
    Hello all - just want to report one last thing before you give in or either replace the HFL...

but perhaps, like pcs sometimes do, it doesnt shut down properly leaving it kind of in limbo.

so...

Good luck!
  • calbearstevecalbearsteve Member Posts: 2
    I completed this myself a couple of days ago. Super easy. I would add one thought to anyone who is thinking about attempting this. If you are comfortable building or repairing your PC, then this will be no problem for you. The HFL replacement is much more like replacing the video card on a PC then anything else I have ever done on a car.

Also, shop around a bit for the HFL unit itself. I was able to find it cheaper by ordering directly through the parts department of my local dealer. It was about $30 less than ordering from several of the OEM acura parts online stores.
  • imiller1imiller1 Member Posts: 1
    My HFL failed last year, same stuff, not pairing and then not even finding the phone or any phone for that matter - no battery problems but who is to say whats next... The dealer initially wanted to charge $175 to diagnose and then a nice $850 to replace the unit. Finally got it fixed for about $200 out the door. Not a bad price considering that the unit sells for $170. My advice is that you work with your dealer as a "loyal Acura customer" and have them submit the repair for Goodwill. They will split the cost. This is a huge problem for Acura since they claim to be a technologically advanced car. It worked for me, good luck.
  • esabbesabb Member Posts: 1
    My HFL was working fine on my 2005 TL until about 2 months ago. Now it seems to drop calls and while I am on a call, my voice keeps cutting off so that every other word is understood. I thought it was my phone but when I switch to the phone my voice is fine and every word is understood. Has anyone else experienced this problem?
  • udiaz75udiaz75 Member Posts: 2
    That's great news... thanks for sharing!!! Anyone have any idea on how to remove the device from a 2005 TL?
    My 2006 Acura Tl bluetooth also stopped working. I researched and after hours and hours of research, I got the answer. Oemacuraparts has the bluetooth module for $185 including shipping and tax--its under the interior lighting section--TELEPHONE ASSY., HANDS FREE *NH528L* (MOON LAKE GRAY)--they also have the two other colors. They shipped me the part in 3 days---its the exact part and color of my current overhead console. I looked up service bulletin 05-020 and this tells you exactly how to take this apart--very, very easy. I took it apart ahead of time to know what I was doing and it took me 8 minutes to replace this and put back once it came in. I also have navigation and did not replace any delay part that is mentioned in the service bulletin. Once I replaced this part, the bluetooth worked correctly immediately. You do have to reprogram it and store all your numbers again, but this was by far the cheapest and easiest fix out there.

This is my post at #207 and if you google the service bulletin you will step by step instructions... You can get feeler guages that worked great at Lowes for about $7 and it will prevent you from doing any damage to the overhead light console. Super, Super easy and anyone can do it as I am not very mechanical at all.
  • mycarsarecoolmycarsarecool Member Posts: 1
    My system was locked also. I did all the items on the service bulletin, except I took off the Black cover on the Bessel itself to reveal the Handsfree Link Circuit Boards. I took those off and cleaned all the connections with alcohol and a cotton swab and assembled it back together. Put everything back and VIOLA it works like a charm. (make sure it's dry before putting back together) Good luck.
  • tl06manualtl06manual Member Posts: 3
    edited February 2012
    I need some help, please! I have a 2006 TL. Bluetooth stopped working around 4.5 years and recently started to drain battery badly. I tried to follow the bulletin 05-020 last night. Every step was not a problem but the 20p connector in step 2 stuck there and couldn't be taken out. So I was only able to see half of the board after removing the four bolts. How did you disconnect it?

Have a trip this Saturday and the battery is dead after one day not driving. So worried! Thanks a ton for any help!
    Managed to disconnect the 20p connector finally, but it didn't seem to solve anything after I fully followed the bulletin. HFL still not working and staying at "booting up". Not sure if it is because I didn't have the car running. Will try that again with car running tonight. At minimum I want to solve the battery draining problem. Is that something I can tell instantly or I have to let the car sit for a couple of days and see if the battery is dead again? Thanks!
    If you disconnected the HFL, and left it disconnected, it will not work, and will continue to "boot up" if you keep trying to use it.

If it's draining, and you disconnect it, leave the care the normal amount of time that is has been taking to drain, and if it works, I think you've found your problem.

I went through this on my '05. It turned out to not be the HFL, but the door lock actuator and the window switch. Those draws come from the same area, and it takes some time to figure out the exact details.
  • silversnowsilversnow Member Posts: 2
    my bluetooth stopped operating on my Acura TL 05, unaware since I didn't use it for my last phone I purchased...a couple of months ago my car battery died a few times and left me stranded the few times long story short called my Acura dealership whom I've been a loyal customer for 5yrs told me it was the bluetooth causing a parasitic draw on my battery and that they would disconnect it for free (since I didn't have $550 to replace bluetooth module)...after a couple of weeks battery kept dying went back to acura and they did a parasitic test ($135.00) and told me that it seems I need a new multiplex unit $950+ to replace and that maybe that'll solve my problem... I refused and went for a second opinion. Low and behold the Einstein at Acura that was supposed to have disconnected the bluetooth didn't unplug it correctly (unknowingly or knowingly) and disconnected my map lights instead since its housed in the same compartment...Either way I feel that they were taking advantage of me and went parasitic in my pocket for more ($)...my second opinion unplugged the HFL module and haven't had a problem since..be careful people do your research first...you can buy the part and do it yourself if you follow the Acura bulletin 05-020 or just unplug the bluetooth and the draw will go away if you don't want to replace it...I'm going after Acura for my parasitic draw test fee, since all along they were lying to me, at this point and after many stranded nights they should had replaced it for free!
    I redid everything with the engine running. It seemed to reset the HFL this time. The battery drain problem is gone. The bluetooth went back on, connected a call, dropped it shorterly after and then went dead again. I wonder if it still has the connection problem or I shall order a new module.

Thanks for the expertise!
  • mizzmariemizzmarie Member Posts: 2
    I just wanted to say - THANK YOU to everyone that posted information on their Hands Free Link problem. Mine quit working over a year ago and I just quit using it. Then I started having car battery problems and after researching (Two new car batteries later) I realized it was connected to the HFL. After finding the instructions on removing the module from my car, I disconnected it so it would stop the battery drain. I decided to purchase the part online for $208 after calling the local Acura service dept first. They quoted two prices for the part and felt I was getting ripped. Saved myself another $40. I received it yesterday, installed and paired my phone within 20 minutes. What a shame that Acura charges as much as they do to replace it for you. I will consider this on my next car purchase. I did my research first before spending $600 to $800 for the repair. I am a woman in my late 50s. If I can do it so can you.
  • tinmantttinmantt Member Posts: 4
    In advance, thanks for any ideas or suggestions. I have a 2012 TL Tech where the bluetooth sees the phone, allows it to install. It works fine for a few hours. When i come back to the car, the phone is "lost", in that it does not connect with the car's unit. The car still has my i-phone 4 on it's list, but it is unable to connect. If I turn the bluetooth off on the phone, then turn it on again, it sees it and it works. Dealership hasn't been that helpful. I have upgraded my phone to the latest OS (5.1), had an Apple store check the phone (I was told the bluetooth worked fine, after they ran a few tests). Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks so much.

p.s.- Great car overall- way too complicated, but needed to switch out my 2000 TL wi. just under 200k.
  • jdurkinmdxjdurkinmdx Member Posts: 9
    I just bought a 2006 MSX w/Nav.,and I'm having problems "pairing" my I-Phone.
    1st problem is the FOUR DIGIT CODE.
    I don't know the previous owners code, so I'm stuck
    Any advice?
    Thanks in advance
  • janetlpjanetlp Member Posts: 8
    There should be a sticker on the left edge of the glove box door when you open it. Otherwise call the dealer. There's a sequence of buttons to push to get the code to display on the radio.
    Thank you for your prompt reply to my 2006 MDX pairing problem.
    Unfortunately, the sticker on the glovebox was MIA.
    Tomorrow, I 'll follow your advice and get the sequence of command from the dealer to resolve the problem.
    I'll keep you posted.
    Thanks again
    jdurkinmdx
    FYI Partial success!
    So far, this "cleared the system & password lock
    1) Press & release the "talk" button & say "System"
    (the response should be "This process will clear all phones... is this what you want?"
    2) Press & release & say "YES"
    ( the response will be "Preparing to clear.....")
    This will take about 2 minutes
    3) After the process, say "OK"
    The response will be "System cleared"

'hope this helps

(still haven't paired" phone, but working on it)
    On my recently purchased 2006 MDX, I start the engine and the exclamation light, the VSA light, the ABS light and even the VTM-4 lights come on and stay on.
    I shut down the MDX, immediately restart the car....and the problem goes away!
    Any ideas as to what the problem is?
    Thanks in advance for your help
  • pc30pc30 Member Posts: 1
    Same issue here. Bought 2012 TL w NAV package . Blackberry Bold 9900 will link up, 750 contacts will import with HFL, turn car on and off 2 or 3 times and grey screen appears saying Unable to import phonebook.

Let me know if you find a solution and I will do the same.
  • tinmantttinmantt Member Posts: 4
    I've been to the dealership 3x, they tested other phones, and they seem to work. My iPhone4 will not stay connected- my wife's iPhone4s, seems to do okay. The Apple store people keep giving me different answers. Gone to 5.1.1., no change. Then they tell me that it is what it is, goes by production date as to what will work, and that there is no uniformity in the bluetooth world. I don't buy it- the problem is somewhere in the phone's software.
  • rohraorohrao Member Posts: 3
    We had the same issue as many here- a sudden "booting" hfl msg after 70k mi.

Tried pulling fuses, but no luck.

We decided to try the "take it all apart and put it back together" route before purchasing the OEM part. Thanks to this forum we followed the bulletin- it was super easy to do (25 min total and we have zero clue on car repairs).

We even took the power cord off the actual hfl unit (in case there was a loose wire) and opened the hfl unit (likely unnecessary, but in case a capacitor or something was obviously loose-- I don't think anyone needs to do this).

Then put everything back together. Hfl worked AND remembered the phone!! Even the garage door pairing was remembered (thought we'd lose that when we pulled fuses).

Anyway, wanted to post to give another alternative to replacing the unit.

http://www.acuraworld.com/tsb/3gTL/b05-020.pdf
    (great instructions, but we had English hex screws not Metric ones- I didn't note the size)

Best of luck.
  • kshaid1kshaid1 Member Posts: 1
    What steps did you follow to determine the draw was from something else? I just replaced my HFL unit a month ago myself but my battery is still being drawn down. I broke down and took it into the dealership and they say that the part I used needs to be replaced again. I think they really didn't test it because I had already told them I had replaced the HFL myself so I'm sure it was an easy, quick answer for them to just say that new part is still the problem. I'm frustrated and I want whatever is wrong, fixed!
    Can anyone recommend where to purchase a HFL for a 2006 MDX w/ Nav?
    The dealer wants $400. The price seems high for a simple replacement
    If I were to by a new unit, is a simple plug installation all that is needed, aside from set up.
    Thanks in advance for all help.
    http://www.acuraofpeoria.com/index.htm?gclid=CKTOjrfB6LACFSoZQgodhx3i4A

Acura of Perioa is where I bought mine for my 2005 TL and it was only about 150$ i believe.

you might want to try them.
    ok, it stopped working again... so clearly it needs to be replaced. I've been trying to get the part number, but the number the dealer gave me doesn't match (and I didn't trust him when he gave it to me). Anyone have the right HFL p/n for a '07 TL (and better still a place to buy the OEM part new?).
    39770-SEP-A02ZA-Acura TELEPHONE ASSY., HANDS FREE *NH528L* (MOON LAKE GRAY)

was mine for an 05 TL but i highly doubt its any diff for an 07- you of course need to choose the color.

Here is site link
    http://www.oemacuraparts.com/
    Turie,
    Thanks! But is this the whole moon roof assy? Shouldn't there be a p/n just for the small "black box" HFL?

Sorry, this may be a dumb q, but I'm not following why I need to match my interior color. I was able to disassemble everything using the service bulletin, and got to this 5"x2" HFL box. Isn't that all I'd have to replace? Or am I actually replacing the trim?

Sincerest Thanks,
    Roh
    Like yourself, I took apart the whole unit. The fact of the matter is that you need to include your interior color because the HFL is shipped with the moon roof assembly. As received, you'll find it to be an easy 15 minute install.