Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Toyota Tacoma

meadowfieldmeadowfield Member Posts: 1
edited September 2014 in Toyota
Does any one know if there are any big changes planned for the 2008 Tocoma? We're in the market for a new pick up and willing to wait until the fall. Thanks.

Comments

• andy82471andy82471 Member Posts: 120
    Now that the new Tundra has an all new 5.7L V8 engine, I think Toyota should seriously consider offering the smaller 4.7L engine on the Tacoma. I am sure it will fit since the 4Runner, which is based on the TACO already offers it. The current Taco is more like a midsize truck rather than compact so people who think that the Tundra is too big but still need some towing capability will flock to a V8 powered TACO.
  • dr_oldschooldr_oldschool Member Posts: 6
    08's should be almost exact copies of 07's.
    Tundra sales would slip if Taco's had V8's. I don't think this will ever happen. I'd buy one though...
  • buffalonickelbuffalonickel Member Posts: 113
    I think it would be grand idea, but that engine would need to be beefed up since the 6 popper now offered in Tacos has the horsepower rating that the old V8 used to have. Certainly Dodge would sit up and take notice.

BTW I wish they would also beef up the truck bed and the tie-down positions. I am having to lay a diamond-plate on the floor of the truck bed and reinforce it with angle iron in order to load my bike on it.

I own an 05--I haven't checked into the old posts yet, but does anyone know what the load rating is for the Taco tailgate?

Buffalonickel
  • zhampton21zhampton21 Member Posts: 27
    I am going to say although this may seem to be a good idea, it will never happen. This will seriously decrease the sales of the Tundra, providing a lower cost, but almost just as useful option in the Tacoma. I don't think they would pin towo of their models head to head like that.
  • drfilldrfill Member Posts: 2,484
    The truck is plenty fast, with good towing.

If the Tacoma can offer 7k towing, the engine is not really important. Dakota is not a big seller, V6 or V8. I know because I sold them!

Being the best mid-size pick-up will have to do. ;)

DrFill
  • dmuttdmutt Member Posts: 48
    V-8 with a 6-spd auto. That would be sweet.
  • motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    A can bet that a V8 powered Tacoma with the 6 speed auto will get about the same gas mileage as the V6 5 speed auto. I personally like the look of the Tacoma much better than the new Tundra.
  • iqbaldhillon2iqbaldhillon2 Member Posts: 116
    I've owned several Tacoma's in the past, and I loved every one. The Tacoma is "The Best Selling Mid-Size Pickup in America" since 2005. It has every right to be, first of the 4.0 liter out powers Ford's (236 hp vs. 207 hp) and gets out more torque (266 vs. 230). The truck is good to tow upto 6500 lbs, and the best payload in it's class. Plus compared to most competitors it gets better gas mileage. Since 2006 the Tacoma has taken a 93 percent hold of the mid-size truck market. :P If you don't believe me here's the link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Tacoma

They sell roughly around 200,000 Tacoma's every year, adding a V8 might ruin there sales of the Tacoma, and Tundra. Right now there looking to sell 200,000 Tacoma's, and 250,000 Tundra's if they do, well lets just say GM, and Ford have some steady competition in the truck market! Plus not even Dodge's new Dakota stands a chance.
  • driver56driver56 Member Posts: 408
    I believe the Dakota has class leading payload.
  • chevycamchevycam Member Posts: 54
    I like the tacoma. I didn't realize it had grown into a midsize truck. They need to add a few options: sunroof, heated mirrors and seats. Automatic seats and leather would be nice. What the heck are they thinking by not offering these extras that a lot of people want. :confuse:

One good thing, I can still get a manual tranny in the top of the line crew cab regular bed.
  • linkfeeneylinkfeeney Member Posts: 58
    i just a video clip of the FJ crusier softtop concept.
    It came with 4.7 liter V8 supercharged!! and the spokeman said since this is concept, not sure if they will go with it, but it's approved. Productions are ready to make them!!
    I guess a 4.7 v8 supercharged can be in a tacoma also???
    I'd like to see Toyota adorn the Taco with a few items that, in my mind, make driving more of a pleasure. Not to mention ESC, which I found can be tough to find. I like sunroofs (never had a problem with one), and heated mirrors.
    If the Taco had included these items at a reasonable cost and been a tad more approachable and willing to deal (here in Canada), I maybe would be driving a Tacoma.
  • maxwell3maxwell3 Member Posts: 10
    how bout an aux input jack w/ the JBL system?
    I have the aux aud input mp3 capable and rockford fosgate in my Frontier. It's always interesting to see what the next years model introduces. I'll be driving this truck for at least a half dozen years or so, then perhaps a diesel.
  • kristopherlkristopherl Member Posts: 5
    I ordered a DC LB sport package Tacoma because they could find one in Wht with steering wheel controls for the radio. I was just told (after 5 weeks of waiting for it to arrive) that "if" and "when" they build it, it would be an '08. Everyone has their own opinion but I love the look of the truck as it is today. Does anyone know (FOR SURE - NO SPECULATIONS)if the body style will change or will there just be a few MINOR trim changes? If they are going to drastically change it then I want my dealership to do a national Vehicle Locate.
    All I can say is that my dealer, when I purchased my 07, said that the 08's will be "the same" as the 07's. I'd say another color choice could be expected. Also, I wouldn't expect a redesign until approx. 2011-2012.
  • flying_finnflying_finn Member Posts: 2
    Toyota Canada has the new 2008 Tacoma listed on its website. No changes, only a 245hp V6 instead of the 236! Not much different on it unfortunately!
  • kristopherlkristopherl Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for the info... I feel a lot better now about the purchase and am a little more willing to wait.. I am 9 weeks into waiting for one to arrive :(
  • critter1critter1 Member Posts: 104
    I've owned a 2007 Tacoma 4x4 crew since Memorial Day. I traded a 2006 Frontier 4x4 KC on Tacoma. Reason I did when I the Frontier I almost immediatly knew I should have gotten the Crew cab. Well I fretted for over a year then I decided to rectify the mistake long story short Toyota dealer really worked to get me in the Tacoma and I did better on trade.

Some observations on the Tacoma vs the Frontier. Frontier has power edge for sure, ride and handling Frontier. Interior Tacoma by alot stereo Tacoma. Overall looks Tacoma,Ground clearence Tacoma I'm a Surf Fisherman thats. important to me. Fuel econmy Tacoma. I would rate Tacoma top and Frontier 2nd. Frontier maybe better bang for your buck,but the Tacoma is top Midsize and you will pay for it.
    I would buy a Nissan again they treated very well I owned 3 of them. But so far the Tacoma has been very nice I like it alot probably more then I did the Frontier more prestiage!
    Anyway Goodluck shopping! :)
  • cabronsotecabronsote Member Posts: 1
    I think there will be no major changes for 2008... but do you think this will be the next Tacoma for 2009?
    Click here: Toyota Hilux
  • bobw1bobw1 Member Posts: 19
    The towing guide seems to indicate the towing package can only be ordered on the 4X4 - Is that true?
  • dmuttdmutt Member Posts: 48
    The Hilux is a model offered in Mexico and many other foreign countries. The Tacoma was built for the the North American market. I cannot see them offering both, but Mexico does.
  • submachinesubmachine Member Posts: 30
    It looks like if you want the regular cab, you have to choose either 4x4 or Automatic, you can't have both.

Is this right?
  • bobadbobad Member Posts: 1,587
    Is an automatic available on the 2007 or 2008 Tacoma 4cyl?

I don't need a V6, and it's hard to drink coffee and drive a stick. ;)

Does the 4cyl Tacoma's feel pretty peppy?

I like my old Toyota, and would like another one. However, I'm afraid I'm going to have to jump to another brand if I can't get 4cyl and Auto.

Thanks for any opinions.
  • cinkelcinkel Member Posts: 3
    Anyone have suggestions on a bi-fold locking tonneau cover for a 2008 double cab tacoma?
    Any suggestions for locking the tailgate on tacoma?
  • grimchildgrimchild Member Posts: 3
    Proud to say I just bought the new 2008 Tacoma.
    Drove it off the lot on the 26th of Nov. It's exactally what i was looking for in terms of a compact pickup that drives like a car.
    I went with the 4cyl 2wd ext.cab automatic (black), better on gas mileage (or so i've heard).
    I do have a few concerns, may be nothing to worry about but thought i'd ask just incase.
    First being; after a trip I smell burning rubber such as maybe the new brakes or belts? keeping in mind since winters comming along the a/c is on to heat it up quicker(dealers suggestion). I mention that because after a little searching a couple forums mention it may be the serpantine belts or a/c tensioning.
    Secondly; The windows are frozen shut until the cab is warm enough that the automatic windows defrost and break free (silicone spray maybe ?)
    and last; Weighing down the bed will be necessary, snows-a-commin , but how much weight will be enough..

Open to all suggestions.
    Thanx in advance.
    --Jay
    Checked out the Tacos yesterday, but have some questions for you guys. Bottom line, I need to decide between:

*Plain cab 4cyl stick shift PreRunner
    *Extended cab 4cyl auto Tacoma.

I want to spend ~$18K. Truck will be used for country driving, occasionally hauling wood, tools, and supplies, little or no towing.

PreRunner likes: Body and interior width, short turning radius, ground clearance, rugged exterior appearance.
    PreRunner dislikes: Plain cab. No auto available with 4cyl. Stick shift. Silver center stack, expensive looking tires, 1-2mpg worse gas mileage.

Tacoma Likes: Extended cab, automatic, 1-2 mpg better gas mileage, longer wheelbase.
    Tacoma dislikes: 15" tires, no cruise control, wide turning radius, we're low ridin'.

Please talk me in to or out of buying either, because I will be stuck with it for 10 or 15 years!

If I can still find an 07 in either for a lower price, will I be missing any significant improvements in the 08?

Many thanks,,,
  • lostwrenchlostwrench Member Posts: 288
    Are you sure you can get a regular cab pre-runner? I can't build one on the Toyota web site. :confuse:
    I sat in 1 last Saturday. The salesman said it was a PreRunner, and it was among other PreRunner's. It was way taller then the little Taco, and appeared a little wider. It had no suicide doors that I recall. Maybe I just didn't notice them.
  • eddabloweddablow Member Posts: 9
    Does anyone know if the v6 used on the 2008 Tacoma is a interference engine or a non interference engine ??
    One doesn't normally worry about interference on timing chain engines. Usually, a timing chain gets noisy and gives you ample warning before failing. If ignored, timing chain failure can cause catastrophic damage.

Here is a link that may help, but is mostly geared to timing belts. http://autorepair.about.com/cs/doityourself/l/bl_timingbelts6.htm
  • fbassifbassi Member Posts: 5
    i have a 2008 tacoma TRD double cab this truck has 1000 miles on it i was in the drive thru with the brake on and in a heart beat the truck took off with burning and smoking tires i could not stop with the brake all the way down until i hit the car in front of me this not human error because i was already stopped with my foot on the brake just like anybody would at the drive thru toyota put this truck on the computer and said nothing is worng i will not drive the truck until i get answers would you does anybody have any ideas
  • rocklarockla Member Posts: 12
    there you go.
    www.pickupspecialties.com/poplock.htm
  • bolidebolide Member Posts: 3
    Very disturbing. I have noticed with my Tacoma, when I have been in traffic stopped behind someone, my truck has surged a little. I thought maybe it was still cold and maybe hadn't hit idle RPM yet. Remember thinking, glad I'm not back in MN on some ice.
    Probably fuel injector pump problem. I'll have to keep my eye on it and check for Technical bulletins or recalls. Hope they realize it might just be your truck afterall and will admit to some liability, but I doubt it until it happens to more people. Hmm...
  • fbassifbassi Member Posts: 5
    this was a total nightmare to me toyota said nothing was wrong they had tight lips for 40 days with no answer and the dealer where the truck was located had tight lips also i got the dealers commission involved with no answer my last chance was to have the dealer buy the truck back from me which they did at a large loss but i just could not drive this truck again PS they will tell you the brief surge is normal which it could be but not like what happened to me just be careful because because the day before this happened to me i was at a red light and thought someone bumped me but it was the surge that you are talking about and then the real rocket took off the next day what year is your tacoma
  • tucker15tucker15 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a 2008 Toyota Tacoma in May 2007 and have had no problems with this truck with the exception of one. I live in the NE where winters are cold and park my truck outside most days. Once colder weather began with temperatures below freezing all my windows freeze shut and I cannot open any windows. This is so bad, that even with running the heater for a long while (over 30 minutes at times) - windows stay frozen. I have taken truck back to dealer (where purchased) several times but they have not been able to fix the problem. Dealer has said this is their first complaint about this type of condition and upon checking did not find any service bulletins about it from Toyota. Dealer has applied silicon to windows edges but no luck; they did this one day and the next morning - windows were frozen again. This problem is really bad, and it doesn't have to be any inclement weather to occur. As long as there is moisture in the air and temperatures are low - windows freeze up. I park my car at a lot where I use a key card - the frozen window causes me to open my door, unlatch my seal belt in order to use my card to get into lot; this I informed the Dealer is a Safety concern; I can see the accident report on this one. Has anyone else experienced this problem and what did you find a fix. :cry: I would really like anyone who has experienced this condition to reply to this posting.

Open to all recommendations; THANKS!

Tucker15
    Only a matter of time before it breaks !
    My driver side broke 2 weeks ago. I took it to the dealer and explaind what a nuisance this has been. With power windows; there's really no way of knowing if its frozen or not untill you push the switch, and once I did I heard a snap.
    Something broke off inside and now my window goes up half-cocked.
    Anyhow;
    My service tech said they would look at it, If it was a Manufacturer defect it would be under warranty. Well, They called me back later and told me they had to order parts to fix the lifters that broke in the door panel. It will be covered under warranty (Because I'm such a great guy ? or manufacturer knows about this and admitted liability?? not sure, didn't ask.)
    They called, the parts came in .
    I was supposed to take it in last saturday to get it fixed but i was busy.
    This saturday the 23rd it should be fixed, I will ask questions and repost afterwards..
  • thechad1thechad1 Member Posts: 3
    I just bought a 2008 Tacoma access cab TRD sport 2wd. Starting at 40 mph it starts to make a noise. It seems to be coming form the back of the truck. It sounds like it could be the tires. It sounds like I am at the beach. The sound is annoying. However, nothing else is wrong with the truck. The factory wheels are bridgestones, should i switch to a road tire? Any other suggestions on the noise coming from the access cab?
    I too bought a 2008 Toyota Tacoma. I live on Cape Cod and park mine in my driveway. No problems at all with my windows freezing. Good luck to you!
    thechad1,

Is this your first truck? Trucks can be a little noisy.

That said, I haven't heard of 2WD Tacos making a lot of noise. It could indeed be the tires, in which case just crank up the stereo. :)
  • thechad1thechad1 Member Posts: 3
    It is my first truck...just sold a 350z. I love the truck. It drives like a car but looks like an off-road warrior. I apprecitate the advice. the noise is loud but I am getting use to it. DO you know if mid-size trucks are noiser than large ones? My friend has a V-8 dodge ram 1500 and it is not near as noisy. the engine is louder but the wind noise is not as bad as the taco. I test drove a similar Taco and it did the same thing at 45 mph.
  • johnwilljohnwill Member Posts: 7
    FROZEN WINDOWS;

Yes, this has been happening to me (in MA) too, the last few storms. One storm it was both windows, while the last two it has been just the passenger side. They open after I do the switch on and off a few times and stress them out, and the inside has been heated up a bit. I thought this was strange. Hopefully will get better over time (only have unit about 45 days so far).

NOISE FROM BEHIND:

This is common with the Access cab due to the weird space that there is behind your rear doors where they meet the back of the cab. Hard to notice, but next time you are outside your truck go look at rear part of the door (access door) and see how you can put your hand way up in there.

Other than that, these are great trucks !
    Well, I got my window fixed last saturday.
    I asked the service tech why the windows would freeze up as they do
    and what makes them any different from other car windows (as my 03 cavalier) which dont have this problem. his response was blatent as he pretended to be
    overwhelmed with amples of work (but then again, I dont blame em, work'n saturdays really stinks)
    so as far as I know, it just does..
    But heres the service statement as promised..

Later !

--Edit.
    It just occured to me,
    after checking out the lining of the window I noticed it has a layer of felt (or some other fabric) which seals the window,, My cavalier is just rubber.
    maybe the felt is the culprit in this design flaw??
    Chad,

I think JohnWill may have hit on the problem. That big gap can do 2 things. It can get air turbulence causing a boomy sound, and it can allow tire and exhaust noise to bounce off the rear of the cab.

In my truck, I think it's mostly tire noise, because on smooth roads the noise is greatly reduced. When the roads are exceptionally smooth, I can hear some exhaust noise, but little road noise. When I hit a stretch of rougher road, the noise level goes way up. I have basically street tires on mine. If you have grips, even small ones, it's going to be at least a little worse than mine.

I have the 4cyl automatic Access cab, and I also like it because it drives a lot like a car. As I said, it's very smooth and quiet on good roads, but not nearly as quiet as my wife's car. I do get a lot of engine noise on hard acceleration, but that's because it's not well insulated. There isn't even a hood blanket. If I wasn't so lazy, I would stick on some Dynamats to reduce the engine and road noise. :D
    Tucker15,
    I have also experienced this problem with my 2008 Tacoma. It has happened several times this winter, and I just dealt with it, because as soon as it warms up outside it's fine. But I'm in Virginia and not back home in Minnesota where this would be a real inconvenience.

Mike
    Hey fbassi,
    Sorry it took so long to respond. For a while there wasn't much traffic on the site, but maybe it's picking up, that would be cool, nice to hear other Tacoma stories. I have an 08 with the V6. It seems like the surging has subsided, but it's always in the back of my mind.

Bolide
  • tacojimtacojim Member Posts: 1
    I purchase a 2008 taco , 2.7L 4cyl engine,Access extended cab, Jan 30 2008. From the first time I drove it (test drive at dealership), I complained about what sounds to me like wind noise. They told me to bring it back and have someone at the shop drive it (I haven't done that yet). It is an annoying sound. For me it sounds like it is coming around driver and/or passenger door or window area.

I don't think what I am hearing is wheel noise from the rear. Anyone hear similar sound? Otherwise, I love the truck (I drove a 1990 nissan pickup for 18 years. The Nissan was great, but no comparison. I am getting 21-22 mpg on mixed speed 30 mile commute to work.
  • groovyfreakgroovyfreak Member Posts: 5
    I just got a 2008 DC Sport Taco and I am wondering if the Mother's Carnuba Polish is any good. I am looking for an easy polish with great protection and shine. I would also like this polish to be "powder free" and not leave behind powder on the windshield and stuff...thanks

Hawaiian Sunshine...
This discussion has been closed.