Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda CR-V Manufactured Where?

j_phj_ph Member Posts: 19
edited December 2013 in Honda
It seems that all the cars on the lots in NJ are from Japan, wasn't Ohio supposed to be producing CR-Vs by now? or are they tooling up for the 08's?

Comments

• allenuscallenusc Member Posts: 1
    I was told by a local dealer that the new 2007 CR-V will be manufactured and imported from China, instead of the 2006 CR-V that's from Japan.

Can anyone verify this?
  • dragonfly47dragonfly47 Member Posts: 26
    Since CR-Vs have been manufactured in China for the China market for several years, odds are the 2007 will be also. However I would be very surprised if it was exported from China to the U.S. in its first year. Particularly since Honda is planning CR-V production at one of their plants in Ohio.

Sounds like your dealer is trying to move those 06's.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    I was told by a local dealer that the new 2007 CR-V will be manufactured and imported from China, instead of the 2006 CR-V that's from Japan.

Can anyone verify this?

2007 CR-V will be made in Ohio, USA. Tell that dealer to learn about the product he sells.
  • spindspind Member Posts: 5
    The production of the CR-Vs has not started in the Ohio plant as of yet, this is slatted to begin with the production of 2007s. I recently wrote a term paper on Honda and I spoke with the head of Public Relations at the Ohio plant. From the information that I gathered from Honda, the CR-Vs that are shipped to the U.S. come from either Japan or the U.K. The CR-Vs that are produced in China are not built for or shipped to the U.S.

It does sound as though the dealership you visited does not have any idea where the U.S. Hondas are manufactured. The easiest way to know is by looking at the invoice sticker or the sticker inside the driver’s side door. The invoice sticker is more specific, as it shows the U.S. Parts Content, Major Source of Foreign Parts Content, and the Final Assembly Point.
  • marig0107marig0107 Member Posts: 92
    our sticker said Japan for everything...engine, car built and so forth. I just hope that no matter where production happens, we don't see any changes in their superb quality of product nor do we see greater pricers on those sticker :)
  • harvey44harvey44 Member Posts: 178
    Japan thank goodness. On the other hand our 06 Civic made in North America - is junk. Terrible assembly quality. Rattles, loose cheap plastic. Always try to buy Japanese made Hondas.
  • esteezeesteeze Member Posts: 102
    ... and it's been a pretty good car. No rattles/squeeks, etc. after 52K miles.

Those brits in Swinden, North Yorkshire earned a few pints for that one.
    really? Man, that scares me. Eventually we want to buy a small car for dh to get rid of junk caravan. We thought Honda. Guess we will pay particular attention to those stickers.

Do you think Honda might split into factions of buyers, those only looking for Japanese made products? Or if they oncorporate parts from here and over there, will they lose loyal customers and have sales falter? That worries me.

Even toyota is now building a plant down south.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,527
    Gee... Honda has been building Accords, Civics, Acura TLs and motorcycles in Ohio for over 20 years...

And.. somehow, they still have a reputation for reliable cars... ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• crvme3crvme3 Member Posts: 140
    Do you think Honda might split into factions of buyers, those only looking for Japanese made products? Or if they oncorporate parts from here and over there, will they lose loyal customers and have sales falter? That worries me.

Our 2000 Civic was built in Canada... It has been a great reliable car for 7 years now! just my 2 cents.
    Gee... Honda has been building Accords, Civics, Acura TLs and motorcycles in Ohio for over 20 years...

And.. somehow, they still have a reputation for reliable cars...

well, that's a relief! I have become quite wary of products after the caravan. Funny thing is we have a dodge shadow, about 15 years old and it is amazing. Van was newer obviously, and I would not trust it. Think my teen will inherit the shadow now.

Guess only time will tell about the reliability of products and the production of parts! Fingers crossed! ;)
  • harvey44harvey44 Member Posts: 178
    I hope I am wrong. I've now had six hondas - counting the Civic. (Civic was the first made outside of Japan). It's great not too have to do any comparison shopping. Just buy whatever honda suits my needs. Hope that will continue.

Also I'm sure that reliability won't be an issue. It's just the rattles etc. My wife could care less, but it bugs me.

FYI - all this we didn't notice until we go home - scratched roof, cracked rear speaker deck, popping off pillar plastic, various noises when going over bumps.

Again - hope this was just one bad car.

M
  • nav46nav46 Member Posts: 8
    What if the vin starts with the #5? where is it made?
  • esteezeesteeze Member Posts: 102
    What if the vin starts with the #5? where is it made?

Mine starts with a "5", and I know it was made in Swinden, UK. I'm not sure if all 5's are necessarily from that facility, though.
  • sky23213sky23213 Member Posts: 300
    I think it's S, not 5.
    S is for cars manufactured in the UK.
  • nyjaimnyjaim Member Posts: 5
    A VIN # that begins with a 5 is made in the United States.
  • airembolismairembolism Member Posts: 11
    mine was 100% japan from sayama saitama
  • usc_chickusc_chick Member Posts: 5
    Mine was manufactured in Japan. My dealer said all the 2007's in the USA were 100% manufactured in Japan.
    mine had Japan. DH went into long explanation of vin # and how it's coded by country code. So he just had to check and he said yep, Japan, Well DUH, my sticker said that :P
  • mycle1000mycle1000 Member Posts: 10
    just purchased an ex 4wd here in the usa. this one was made in mexico. if you look at the vin# the first digit is country of origin. (1 is usa, 2 is canada and 3 is mexico) i'm not sure of the digits used for other countries, or if your countries vin# are the same as vehicles made for the usa.
  • lzclzc Member Posts: 483
    I thought all vin numbers began with a letter. J is for Japan, where most if not all '07 CRVs were manufactured.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,527
    North American made vehicle VINs start with a number..

On CR-Vs,

J = Japan

S = Swindon (England)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• rmitrarmitra Member Posts: 2
    I bought a CRV EX over the weekend. Its VIN starts with 3CZ

I figure it is made in Mexico.

Most VIN decoder websites dont even list what CZ is about? May be a new manufacturing site in Mexico? I did read an article that indicated that the Ohio plant is shipping CDK (complete knockdown kits) to Mexico to be assembled there.

I was not mindful of that going in to buy the car but on looking online, people seem skeptical about this. I turned down the extended warranty.

I believe I can still enroll in one of the extended warranties as the vehicle nears its 3/36K limit.

Any cause for worry? It sort of put a damper on my excitement at owning a brand new vehicle.
  • mycle1000mycle1000 Member Posts: 10
    this should not put any damper on your new car experience. it is still a honda and should have the usual honda quality.
  • rotyroty Member Posts: 1
    so by now there should be some info regarding the crvs made in North America vs the reliability that we expect from the previous Japanese models.
    This is not hopefully going to effect the durability of HONDA. I hope to find some more information regarding this issue as I am looking at the CRV EXL and was a little surprised by the North American made tag.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    so by now there should be some info regarding the crvs made in North America vs the reliability that we expect from the previous Japanese models.
    This is not hopefully going to effect the durability of HONDA. I hope to find some more information regarding this issue as I am looking at the CRV EXL and was a little surprised by the North American made tag.

khm, khm, Honda has been building cars in the US since 1982. You can tell by looking at the 1st digit in the VIN number. 1=US, 2=Canada, 3=Mexico?, J=Japan, S=UK.
  • 107main107main Member Posts: 33
    I just looked at 2013 CRVs and one was made in Mexico. That is OK, but what is NOT, is that it was the exact same price as one made in the USA. Labor in Mexico is a fraction of US labor, so it should be much cheaper, in the Thousands of dollars. I will NOT buy a HONDA made in Mexico! Hope you wont either!
  • snukesnuke Member Posts: 81
    So, are you saying you will not buy a CR-V made in Mexico because you feel that if the CR-V's made in the USA are the same price as those made in Mexico, then the buyer is being over charged for the CR-V made in Mexico? My question to you is, do you know how much Honda is paying for the labor in Mexico or are you making an assumption that the labor is cheaper in Mexico strictly because that is the way it has normally been?
  • godeacsgodeacs Member Posts: 481
    Agreed! No CR-V made/assembled in Mexico!!!!! Nothing good comes from there..... ;)
  • sly1973sly1973 Member Posts: 1
    I still have the "sticker" page with details on my Honda CR-V which was purchased in October of 2012. It states that 65% of the parts were made in U.S./Canada; 20% in Japan & final assembly was done in El Salto, Jalisco, Mexico. Country of Origin: Japan; Transmission USA.
  • mirramirra Member Posts: 1
    Hey. I think the media has influenced you a bit. I live near Guadalajara and the town where the CR-Vs are assembled. This is a beautiful city, with many affluent, well educated Mexican people. A lot of the kids go to technical school, near by, and are hired by the manufacturing plants. The plants are state of the art and the level of education and quality of the workers is high for a factory. There is a growing middle class, home owners with two children families with the same goals as you have. And many of them are loyal Honda owners! Two of my Mexican friends bought new CR-Vs this year! They are everywhere. Great cars, regardless of where they are made.
  • rfinnvrfinnv Member Posts: 1
    Hi my names is Randy! can you please send me a copy of the sticker? I have been in an argument with a person who works for Honda and he has been saying that CRV are not made in mexico! I told him he is full of it!
    Thank You!
    Randy
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited November 2013
    FWIW, Wikipedia says that the last two generations were/are made in Mexico (and several other places).

Where those CR-Vs are shipped to is another question.
  • dandrwdandrw Member Posts: 10
    The ones assembled in Canada and Ohio mostly get shipped to the Midwest and East-Northeastern US.The ones put together in Mexico generally end up in the southern tier of states.
  • faldocfaldoc Member Posts: 84
    My 2014 CR-V EX has a 2HKRM4H52EH6113** VIN number...

Final Assembly was at Alliston, Ontario, Canada,
    with 70% US/Canadian parts, 15% Japan, Engine USA, Transmission Japan.
    Great Car, nicely made.

When I took my left "A" pillar trim off to install my Gentex Auto Dimming Homelink mirror, I noticed a wire harness with "made in China" on it.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    And Gentex has factories in Michigan, Germany, Korea, the UK and yep, China.
  • ohjoeohjoe Member Posts: 4

When we bought our 2013 CR-V, they were made in Ohio, England and Canada. I insisted on an Ohio build. We got it. It says so on the label inside the door.

• jerseycityjerseycity Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a used CR-V. I tried out a 2008, a 2009, a 2011 and two 2007's. In spite of having only 48,947 miles on it, the 2011 vibrated quite a bit, and the ceiling light flickered as we sat idling. It was sluggish to drive - it was the worst of all of them. The 2009 had 63,664 miles on it and was just as sluggish as the 2011 but didn't vibrate quite as much. The 2008 had only 44,491 but was no better than the 2009. Both of the 2007's had noticeably more pep, and didn't vibrate when stopped. They seemed to handle better too. Maybe this was because the tires and alignment were better. One of the 2007's had 67,957 miles on it, and he other 74,218. I could have afforded any of the 5 CR-V's I tried, but decided on the 2007 with 74+K because it had leather while the 67K cousin did not.
    During the 60's and 70's "Made in Japan" on a product had negative connotations. It meant that it was a poorly made knock off. Later on, we began to learn that the Japanese take great pride in their work. When a person introduces himself in Japan, he includes his company name: "My name is Tohmi Hirohito Honda." And I suspect that since Honda was telling its workers that the redesigned 2007's were headed for the US, the workers might have wanted to make a good impression.
    About two years ago I bought a refrigerator that was made in a Latin American country. There were several noticeable problems with it as soon as we plugged it in. Since it was under warranty, we had a repairman come right away and fix the problems. When I asked him why there were so many simple things wrong with the fridge, he told me that not only do some of the workers not care about what they do, some of them purposely screw up the assembly to get revenge on the rich Americans. The repairman was himself Latin-American.