Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Starting Problems

Comments

• obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Idle Air Controller
  • konamadekonamade Member Posts: 8
    Thank You
  • mpd266mpd266 Member Posts: 2
  • mpd266mpd266 Member Posts: 2
    WHEN I START MY 08 GMC SIERRA, IT SOUNDS LIKE IT CONTINUES TO FIRE. WHILE THIS IS GOING ON, THE MOTOR ALMOST SOUNDS LIKE IT IS "HALF WAY" RUNNING. ONCE THE MOTOR FIRES UP AND RUNS RIGHT YOU CAN SMELL A RICH GAS SMELL. THIS ALL STARTED AFTER I TOOK IT TO THE DEALER WITH A SERVICE ENGINE SOON LIGHT. THE DEALER ADVISED, THE LIGHT CAME ON WHEN I SWITCHED FROM REGULAR GAS TO FLEX FUEL. THE DEALER "REBOOTED" THE COMPUTER AND PREFORMED INJECTION CLEANER. NOW SERVICE ENGINE SOON LIGHT IS OFF BUT I HAVE THIS STARTING PROBLEM. THEY HAVE HAD MY TRUCK FOR A WEEK AND STILL NO WORD. ANY IDEAS?
  • satman3satman3 Member Posts: 1
    I have chevy p/u 1990 305 engine start fine i put in gear shut down in nutral or park
    is on fine help please :(
  • jamnayjamnay Member Posts: 3
    1999 gmc sierra truck starts occasionaly good spark and fuel pressure
  • turbosquirrelturbosquirrel Member Posts: 1
    I have less than 1,700 miles on my new '09 Silverado 1500 (4.8L), and it's starting to give me a fairly rough/jumpy idle when I give it a cold start. I live in Texas so the engine's not *literally* cold by any means. (Highs nearly 110 F this week)

I don't actually have trouble starting it, and the idle does smooth out within 30 seconds or so. It just sounds different than when I first got it, so I'm wondering if this is anything I should be concerned about. Have to admit it does have a better growl to it when first started now, but I'm guessing that's more to do with the muffler breaking in.
  • u2edubu2edub Member Posts: 3
    This should be simple, but I'm having problems removing the spark plug wires/boots from my 2004 5.3L Silverado. Any techniques??
    Go to Checkers and buy one of these:

obyone,
    Thanks! I already bought a pair from Sears that look only slightly different. I'm trying not to damage the wires, but they don't seem to want to budge. I'll keep trying.
    Since you're removing the wires I'm assuming you're changing the plugs. It might also be a good idea to change the wires while you're at it. Fours years in an engine compartment exposed to the heat from the exhaust manifold could deteriorate even the best of rubber/silicone compounds.

And if you decide to change the wires, you could slice the boot and pry the wire off the plug. ;)

If not, the up/down, left/right motion should eventually loosen the boot enough to extract.
    After several attempts already, my thoughts were to do just that. Replace the wires too. Thanks for the advice!!
  • jerald227jerald227 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2009 silverado 1500 with the 5.3 gas not flex fuel with 4000 miles and I am dealing with the same exact problem. I also live in texas and the truck has never seen cold weather. Been to the dealer 3 times and there seems to be no fix for it. they say it in normal range, but i totally disagree. this has been going on since i brought it home. I am now getting gm on it and they are suppose to contact me tomorrow. if i find an answer I will post it. lets raise some cane and get this problem fixed. there are no engine codes on the computer and no service bulletins at the dealer for this. but i suspect there will be because you and I are not the only ones having this problem. good luck.
  • jerald227jerald227 Member Posts: 2
    I have a brand new 2009 silverado 1500 series with 5.3 v-8. On cold starts it has a significant rough idle for 10 to 30 seconds. I have had it to the dealer 3 times and there are no computer codes to give them a fix for it. They just say it is normal, but I know if they had just spent 25K of there hard earned money on a new truck that shakes like that they would not call it normal. Apparently I am not the only one, one service manager told me that I was not the only complaining about this. If anyone else reads this and are having the same issue, I would a appreciate a response, especially if you have found an answer for it. I am fixing to have my first oil change and I am going to switch to synthetic, hoping this might help. I called GM today and they are going to get into this. A little hope anyway. If I get a solution for this I will post it.
    Shaking In San Antonio.
  • rjo1rjo1 Member Posts: 1
    I have also experienced this issue with my brand new 2009 silverado 1500 series (4.8 L V-8 LS), which I purchased in July. I live in Houston, TX and I started noticing a significant rough idle in the mornings soon after I brought the truck home. After a few weeks of no improvement, I took the truck to the dealership to diagnose the problem. They told me, after keeping the truck overnite, that they did feel the rough idle on startup; however, they also said that this symptom was normal. When I said that this was definitely not normal they responded by saying that there were no engine codes showing up in the computer which meant that there was nothing wrong with the truck. Their explanation for the rough idle was that the truck's internal computer feeds the engine a rich fuel mixture on a cold startup, which consequently causes a brief rough idle. Once the computer is up and running (after a few seconds) then it corrects itself. My response was "why would GM engineer a truck to do something like this?" I then asked if they would let me start up a truck on the lot that had not been run in a couple of days (for comparison). They took me to a brand new single cab silverado with a 5.4 liter V-8, which also had a rough idle for about 10 seconds (although it was not as rough as my truck). I have never experienced this symptom in any other car or truck that I have driven and my gut feeling is that there is definitely something wrong that GM should look into and fix. I now have about 2500 miles on my truck and I still notice a bit of a rough Idle in the mornings. I have also noticed that the rough idle is more pronounced if the air conditioning is on during startup. Please advise if anyone finds a solution to this problem.
  • jeofjeof Member Posts: 1
    I have an 04 Silverado 2500HD that intermittently fails to start. On the first try it will crank without starting, on the next several tries it won't crank. The lights light up, radio, etc, just no cranking. After a few tries it may crank and start or crank and not start. At first this only lasted 5 or ten minutes then it would start and I would be on my way. Now I have to let it sit for a couple hours. The only other thing I notice (when it doesnt start) is that when you turn the key on, the fuel gauge shows E. When you turn the key on AND it shows the correct fuel level, you can be sure it will start. Any ideas or solutions would be appreciated. Dealer doesn't seem to be able to find any thing and it doesn't do it ALL the time, just when you are in a hurry!! Thanks
    Sounds like a bad throttle position sensor. Course this is just a guess based on what you stated. As far as the relationship between the gas gauge reading empty and the truck not starting is something I've never seen or heard of. Coincidence? Maybe.
  • jrdfc1jrdfc1 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2009 2500HD Silverado with similar problems not only will mine run rough for the first few minutes but the limited slip will go in and out, the traction control flashes trouble and makes the traction lock up and then the ABS lights up and locks on the brakes. Now they have it in service and cannot find any problems. Any ideas other than taking it back or crushing it?
  • olblue20olblue20 Member Posts: 2
    My truck will turn over fine but wont start. most of the time when i turn my key on my gauges dont kick on. every once in a while they will though, usually when i turn the key very slow. i replaced the fuel filter and fuel pump thinking it was a fuel issue. also switched out what was believed to be the ignition module under the hood on a bracket near the distributor. could this be the ignition itself on the steering column?
  • olblue20olblue20 Member Posts: 2
    forgot to mention that i have gotten it to start once or twice usually when the gauges will actually kick on, but if i turn the truck off and try to start it again it just continues to turn over.
  • davethecarnutdavethecarnut Member Posts: 248
    Hey obyone, Where is the throttle position sensor located? I know...I should subscribe to Chiltons or that Alldata place...but you're cheaper ;)
    TPS is located on the throttle body.
  • jhl385jhl385 Member Posts: 1
    I only get a click at the starter when trying to start my truck. This started with a bad battery, but I replaced it with a new one yesterday converting it to a top post. The starter is a rebuilt one replaced this spring and I pulled it today and had it checked - it's fine. So I though maybe the cable from the battery to the starter is bad and I used jumper cables to go from the neg. post on the starter to the battery and left the OE cable in place. Same thing happened, hit the ign. start position and only a click at the starter. I even "borrowed" another starter from the parts store and it did exactly the same thing.
    Any ideas what I can check now?
    Thanks.
  • joshual1887joshual1887 Member Posts: 19
    i have a 2000 3/4 silverado 6.0. when i i crank the engine it struggles to start. sometimes it starts on the first engine rotation but most of the time it takes about 6 seconds to start, or starts on the second crank. once running the first 5 seconds it nearly dies, and then brings itself back alive. also while in idle or redlights there is a slight miss. have an obd2 and it shows no codes. has new battery, plugs, wires, fuel filter. altenator tests fine, fuel pressure is good. fuel pump tests fine. any help would be appreciated
    forgot to mention, fresh oil change and air filter as well
    what about the idle air controller?
    haven't checked that out yet but i guess it'll be my next step. ill post again afterwords
    now i have a trouble code: PO300 random/multi cylinder misfire.
  • riley370riley370 Member Posts: 1
    Here is a good one for everybody to help me with. I have a 2000 silverado that had an remote lock when I bought it. THE TRUCK HAS NEVER HAD A REMOTE STARTER. The other night I drove it to the store around 7 pm at 1 am the local police called and asked where I was going. They told me that my truck was running, Sure enough my truck was running with no keys in it and the doors were locked. When I went to shut it off it took my 4 trys of turning the key on and off before the truck stopped. DOES ANYBODY HAVE A CLUE WHAT COULD BE CAUSING THIS. This is the first time to my knowledge in 2 years that this has happened.
    Might want to start with the ignition switch.
  • bowtie24bowtie24 Member Posts: 1
    this morning husband went to start cold truck ( which we have had for less than 6 months)with remote start and it wouldn't work>> used key and the lights and panel lit up but vehcile wont turn over>> of course i asked if it was in gear ..(not it).. thought it had something to do with remote start ..so brought spare keys ..(nothing).. Chevrolet is of course closed so.. he doesnt know where to even start..>> husband has to drive back to Ft Campbell in th morning from Ft Knox and I hope we dont have to rent a car just so he can get to work>> whatever help you can give owuld be helpful
  • jrdfc1jrdfc1 Member Posts: 2
    Have OnStar do a diagnosis. Wiggle the shift leaver and pump the brake pedal to see if there is some bad connection.
  • callen65callen65 Member Posts: 3
    This is on a 03 GMC sierra 5.3L 2WD

Sometimes you turn the key and everything lights up as normal but it will not crank. You can jump the starter solenoid and it will crank and start but die as soon as you remove the screwdriver. It may just be minutes or several hrs before it will start.

Took it to the shop and of course it always worked fine.

Any ideas?

I have already had to have it towed once just to have it start up fine when it was dropped off.
    Double check all your connections. Battery, alternator, and starter.
    ok today i pulled the vacuum off the fuel injecter pressure regulator and it dumped out gas. from what ive read that means it has failed so ill install a new one today and see if the problem goes away
    I've done that. Its cranks great when you jump the solenoid. It is just not sending any power to the small wire on the solenoid when you turn the key .
    The other possibility could be a bad ignition switch.
    replaced fuel injector pressure regulator. engine has started just fine ever since. i still have a slight miss only at idle but i think once the computer adjusts itself this should go away. the trucks response was better on the way to work this morning
  • ahuff12ahuff12 Member Posts: 3
    03 1500 5.3 V8 1500 silverado..at times will not start on first try, acts like its not getting fuel. other times fires on first try..fuel pump and starter have been replaced
  • delltdellt Member Posts: 2
    My brother tried the ignition problem on his truck, found a post somewhere indicating that might be the problem for the sporadic starting behavior - cracks sometimes, sometimes it would not even turn over. However, that did not fix his problem, thought it did but it has returned.
    GM evidently put out a bunch of lemons - too bad the government bailed them out - they should have went under with the junk they produce. Why a recall hasn't been issued to correct this problem is beyond me, it is almost criminal. I have an 04 Silverado and haven't experienced this problem 'yet' but as much as I've liked GM all my life - I think I have purchased my last one.
    Since he replaced the ignition & cleared the error codes now that the problem has returned - strangely no error codes are showing up.
  • mainzjacob86mainzjacob86 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 99 1500 5.3 v8 silverado and it has the the problem. i was wondering if u found any info about your problem?
  • rxqserxqse Member Posts: 2
    Hello, I have a 2005 1500 Sliverado. I have a new problem and I am somewhat lost. When I crank the engine, the gauges all light and everything iseams normal but there is no ignition. I can return the key to start, try again and it will start. You can listen (thru the gas cap) and hear the fuel pump. Wiggle the key and/or move the steering column up and down and it works fine. When the vehicle is warm and has been run, it works fine.But on first try when its cold is the worst.
    Any suggestions? The dealer seams to be stumped.
    No start is due to either lack of spark or lack of fuel. When was the last change of the fuel filter?
  • snowplowguysnowplowguy Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Silverado 8.1 Liter. I've seen this problem 3 times on here with 01's and 03's with no responses or suggestions, I don't know what to do. My truck won't start, checked the relay, can't hear it clicking, switched relay with parking lamp relay (that we know is working) still don't hear it click. Checked all fuses. Replaced ignition switch, nothing. All dash lights up, everything seems fine from accessories to run but when you turn it to start nothing happens. Tried banging on the starter a little with a hammer, didn't get anything. I was reading the wiring diagram and it seems as though the only two components to the system are ignition switch and park neutral switch, going to try that next just trying to find someone who has experienced this to give me some kind of solution.
  • tuck12tuck12 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 96 Sierra SLE Z71 5.7 One day I went to start it and nothing,everything came on just wouldnt crank.Battery fine,everything checked out.Thought might be the switch,took the cover off and was going to pull the switch apart to try and hot wire when I started to pull the top off the switch (little box with all the wires) it started right up.O.K.problem solved put in new switch,wrong same thing wouldnt start,so I took the switch out(where the key goes) and put a big screw driver in and starts right up.Put it all back together,so I could use the key been working fine for 2 months,then did it again,now its getting to where sometimes it takes a few trys to start it with the screw driver,I thought it might be the plastic gears they have are worn and wont let it make contact,has any one else run into this problem.
  • mikitmikit Member Posts: 1
    I bought a used 2007 Sierra a few months ago and just started having the problem of power loss when you try to start it. All dash lights go out and if you wait or try again it would start. The battery was just 8 months old ans checked fine. I cleaned the battery cables and at the starter, but it didn't help. I checked the 175 amp main fuse on the firewall behind the battery and found that the cable ends were corroded and rusted, but you couldn't see it without removing the cover on it. After cleaning the cables and the fuse, it has worked fine. If you haven't yet, try it. Hope it helps someone else.
  • rbonnesrbonnes Member Posts: 1
    When it is cold outside(below 15degrees)my truck acts like someone disconnected the battery, no lights, no radio, no electrical power whatsoever, but after a minute or so, the power comes back on and no issues. until tonight, it did the same thing, only this time, while I was driving home, the electrical was acting like I was turning the ignition on and off, the headlights stayed on though, and the truck continued to run. any ideas?
  • jimsamjimsam Member Posts: 2
    I have the same problem with a 2004 Sierra 6.0L. This problem originated this past July and a friend walked me through starting it by removing the starter relay and jumping it with a paperclip. Yesterday I had the same problem, but was unsuccessful in getting it to run as the started just clicked as I jump the relay wires.
    Did you have any luck on finding a resolution to the problem?
  • kotadogkotadog Member Posts: 1
    06 GMC 2500HD 4x4 .Bought it new. Summer of 08 wouldn't start. Thought I left a light on or whatever. Jumped it after charging and was fine. A couple weeks later, same thing. Over the course of 6 months this happened several times. I n Jan. 09 went to dealer and he said it was the battery and put in a new one($135.00). I had to pay. A couple months later it wouldn't start. When this happens I have no lights of any kind, no click from key, nothing at all !! It's been in the dealers at least 3 times, once for battery, once for a week hooked up to equipment to find a draw,nothing. Last time they said it was the unit that controled the trailer brakes sticking so they disconnected it and after 240.00 and 2 weeks I was on my (way with a new unit from the dealer for 80.00). A week later it wouldn't start. I called, they agreed to bring it in but since I wanted a 4x4 loaner I've been waiting. I was told there was a TV show on that said the ABS Pump sticks on and they had it rebuilt and fixed the problem. Apparently this on Chevy/Gmc trucks. I am waiting right now for a call back from dealer as I write this.