Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Starting Problems

Comments

• michiganmade11michiganmade11 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2002 GMC sierra 1500 2wd 4.3 and i drove it fine just the other day took a 200 mile trip less than a week ago. i went to fire it up the other day and it will crank but wont start and when i hook up the obd 2 scanner it says "no vehicle is present". i was wondering if anyone had any ideas possibly bad ground strap or something just looking for a good direction to start troubleshooting. and i already checked my fuel pump its cycles on key on power.
  • michiganmade11michiganmade11 Member Posts: 2
  • billwh87billwh87 Member Posts: 18
    I was told the same thing. I removed my key from the key chain and kept it alone in my right pocket for the past 9 months. It did not make a difference. The truck would not turnover several times during the time I had my key divorced from the rest of my keys.
    I have had my truck not start when it is 20-90 degrees) when I first go out in the morning. But I have also had it not start when it has been warmed up and I run into a store for a few minutes. I simply keep turning the key on and off 30 seconds to 25 minutes, and eventually it starts. I haven't given up on getting it fixed, but it looks like there may be multiple reasons for this problem. It sure has helped keep the GM dealerships and spare parts divisions in business, replacing parts that weren't the real problem.
    I also had remote start and had it removed. Dealership said this would solve the problem. Did not make any difference.
  • bigbaddonbigbaddon Member Posts: 1
    Okay..hopefully someone can guide me in the right direction. I have a 1995 K1500 with a 5.7L engine. Started it up to move truck and everything was great. Couple of days later, went out to start it and it ran very rough, finally stalled and could not get it started. First thing I did was to replace the plugs (extremely fouled-black sooty), wires and distributor cap. Truck was very hard to start, had to press gas all the way to the floor and it would finally start. Would run slow and very rough and after a few seconds would come up to speed. Took foot off gas and engine died, could not get restarted. (temperature?)
    Pulled codes off OBT-1 by jumping pins on the connector and reading the ck eng light. Had on code that said something about voltage to fuel pump was low. Replaced water temperature sensor--no luck. :sick: Dropped tank, installed new sender and pump. Also installed new fuel lines and filter while I had everything apart. Same issue. Cleared codes, finally got engine started and rechecked codes..no codes. Oh yes...also checked timing.
    Any ideas from anyone?
  • brox52brox52 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2003 z71 w110k miles. using computer plugged into inverter at job site. occasionally started it up to charge battery. somehow switched lites from automatic to constant on. last 2 days started fine in am(cold outside temp), but after parked engine off and using laptop, won't start. cranking will turn it over for few seconds then cuts out. will continue intermittently crank but not start, even while continue to turn ignition. is now at AAA running diagnostic, and they so far can't figure out whats wrong. bought truck used from ford dealer( have a good relationship with) 2 yrs ago. battery is undersized though.
  • aloneinthedarkaloneinthedark Member Posts: 1
    I am having a simular problem with my 2003 s-10 as well. Its been happening for months and it is randomly happening after traveling short distances (about 1-6 miles). Sometimes happens once/twice a week up to almost every time over the course of one day. It takes anywhere from 2 - 30 min to get it to start back up. This is my 3rd s-10 and the prev 2 never had an issue 91/98. I have disconnected the battery (checked good), checked the electrical wiring (all getting current), swapped out the relay switch and it did not have any benefit. i have tried to get it to fault with mechanics but it hasnt. The next thing I am going to try is hook up a wire directly to the starter and check the current when it faults to see if it is getting the voltage. There was one time it would not start for almost an hour and when ready to call a tow, it started up (after banging around the engine and banging the starter. Last thing I did was wiggle the wiring going in through the firewall and started.) Sometimes I can hold down the key to start for about 5 secs and the engine will start and sometimes it wont.

I am at a loss myself. I have searched on boards for months and still not been able to get a specific answer or find a specific problem. I am definitely at a loss myself, usually it is related to a direct issue but I cant figure it out. :confuse:

P.s. while checking the wiring I did get it to fault and the currents were good.
  • george187george187 Member Posts: 1
    today I tried to start my 2000 yukon and it wouldnt start at all, lilke if the battery was dead so I went and bought a newone,i put the new1 and stii nothing so I checked here and someone said to hit the starter gently with hammer so I diid and the yukon starded right away:)))))))) So now I need an advice from mechanic, Do I need to put a new starter or simply just tightened the old starter?
  • bsowin967bsowin967 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1998 GMC Sierra, 5.7 vortec extended cab. I went to work last Friday morning no problem. At the end of the day, I hopped back in and it wont start. It just cranks over but I'm not getting any gas into the engine. The fuel pump pressure is perfect. I replaced the fuel filter, fuel pressure regulator, and all the spark plugs. I have spark on every one of the plugs when I ground it out on the outside of the cylinder. I tried replacing the cam sensor also, that was not it either. I took it to my mechanic and hes been working on it all week with no advances or even a clue what it could be. All he has determined is that the injectors aren't getting pulse? But he has had 2 GM mechanics out with their laptops hooked up to it and it shows that every sensor, ground, fuse, everything is working perfectly. Does anyone have any ideas or have they ran into this problem before? We can't seem to figure it out.. THANK YOU!!
  • bsowin967bsowin967 Member Posts: 2
  • yncrickyncrick Member Posts: 3
    2011 Silverado LS 4.8 Standard Cab. In the past 3 weeks the truck will crank for sometimes over 30 seconds before it will even begin to fire. I can turn the key and it key acts stuck as he engine will turnover without even holding the key. Today I push accelerator to floor and after a few seconds of cranking finally started. Once it starts it runs fine, no noticeable problems. I have a cold air induction hooked up and has been on for over 10 months and has a scat back duel exhaust other than that it is stock. What is causing this??
  • tzatinatzatina Member Posts: 1
    So what was it? I have wrestled with this for a couple years now. It's a pain in the rear. I thought i had something to do with the alarm system. none of my instruments work except for gas and water temp. Thats how i start it though click it till she goes. just interested it's old hat now. should an emergency arise one doesn't want to sitting there twisting away.
  • bretly1bretly1 Member Posts: 3
    So yours doesn't crank at all, but some gauges work and the fuel pump cycles? Just no power to the solenoid to turn it over until you wait a few minutes? Does it always start when it's cold?
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    What model year is your truck, tzatina?

Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • dollddolld Member Posts: 1
    We were having a no start issue on our 2002 GMC Sierra HD 1500 and found figure that we have to change out the fuel pump.
  • gnoblesgnobles Member Posts: 2
    Did you ever figure out what the problem was? I am having exactly the same issue. There is the same intermittent not starting problem.
  • gnoblesgnobles Member Posts: 2
    What was the fix? I am having exactly the same problem.
    Took to dealership, at first thought it was a weak fuel pump. kept overnight to make sure and ran diagnostic on it as the first thing so when cranking might be able to pin point and bang they got it, had to recalibrate computer, ECM was reading low alocohol at 8% and should have been 63%, recalibrated and it is starting as fast as ever. Danny Beck Chevrolet in Sapulpa Oklahoma made it happen. So thankful was afraid cold air induction was the problem.
    see my post tonight.
    yncrick,
    Glad to hear that Danny Beck Chevrolet took such great care of you and wish you many more happy miles.
  • bretly1bretly1 Member Posts: 3
    It seems as the weather has become colder here in KS that the occurrence has become less. But, I've had my truck in the shop more than not for the last 2 weeks for other reasons so I'm not able to gauge how often it occurs recently. Did you ever figure out the issue? I'm still thinking it's a sensor issue associated with engine temp since I've never had it fail to start when the engine is cold.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    A reporter would like to speak to a loyal Chevy Silverado owner who is shopping for a new truck. If you'd like to share your story, please send your daytime contact to pr@edmunds.com no later than noon PT/3 p.m. ET on Friday, 1/18/13.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• gmc1pkupgmc1pkup Member Posts: 1
    Do they found the problem? i have the same with my 2007 sierra and dealer
    not able to find any thing unless the truck do that in shop?
  • tiger7cattiger7cat Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

I'm currently having the same issue, started behaving that way 1 year after purchasing it. I have the sierra 1500 4.8L model 4x4, the problem is currently live and I disconnected the battery 1 hour ago, I have yet to reconnect it and give it a try to see if it will start.

Verrrrry annoying, you never know when it will strike, no mechanic ANYWHERE ever found the problem!!
    tiger7cat,

If there was anything you wanted to follow up on with your involved dealership(s), we can be reached at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation).

• jwgibson14jwgibson14 Member Posts: 1
    I recently started having issues starting my truck in cold weather. It runs extremely rough for about 30 seconds after it starts when the temperature is below 40 degrees. After about 30 seconds it levels out. I took it to the dealer and they did a great job at performing some diagnostic tests. They found that if they parked the truck in the shop where it stays warm it has no issues starting but if you let it get below 40 degrees it has the starting issue. The only thing they found is that the computer is saying the fuel mixture is almost 70% alcohol and they believe this is what is causing the issue. I have only ever used 87 octane fuel which should not be anymore than 10% alcohol. I have not tested the fuel yet but that is the next step. If the fuel has that much alcohol in it I dont understand how it would even start, and even if it does run why does it only happen when the truck is cold? Has anyone else heard of this type of problem? I have serious concerns that I may be causing serious damage to the engine if it is burning this much alcohol.
    jwgibson14,
    Let us know if you want for us to check into anything further with with your dealership (or further document your concerns). We can be reached at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation).
  • manderson91manderson91 Member Posts: 3
    edited April 2013
    Went to the gas station, started fine. Went to the grocery store right after started then Immediately died. Everything has power and cranks all day but doesnt start. My fuel pump has been whining the last two days, didn't think anything of it. Checks fuses all are good cant tell if the relays are good. When I turn the key I used to hear the pump now I can't.When i turn the key on and off a couple of time it acts like it wants to stArt but the just cranks. Two weeks ago I replace the sending unit so my fuel gauge worked. It's ran fine since but has thrown p0440 cleared it has t come back on. I know its evap but why was it thrown? I'm going to check the connections where I had to splice the wires on the pump. If that's not it what could it be? I'm assuming fuel pump but I wanna be sure before I buy one. Its at 113k 1owner never had a problem other than knock sensor, at 100k i did a full tune up coils wires plugs coolant all fluids ect..... Oh an I'm removing the bed to work on it. Now as we'll the other day I for some odd reason disconnected my battery while my edge programmer was on and now it's not turning on. I checked the cig fuse and its good, any ideas??
  • dalerhdalerh Member Posts: 14
    If you saw my post late last year my 2006 GMC Serria 1500 4X4 (only 20K miles) had problems with starting and I found by trial and error. Especially while a tow truck was getting ready to pull it up onto a flatbed he released the parking brake and all of the lights and door chimes came on. Well, the truck started up immediatly. To this day when I push the parking brake pedal in too far the truck will not start. I still do not know what the cause is but it starts every time without the parking brake set. Oh, I also get a message the 4 wheel drive needs service.

Good luck
    I'm having fuel problems with my 2001 5.3 silverado has 114k mi. Drove fine then all of a sudden didn't want to start. Two weeks ago i replaced the fuel level sending unit and it has thrown the p0440 code twice since then. but cranked with ease. Replace the fuel pump ran fine the suddenly died while driving. If I turn the key on an off multiple time it acts like it wants to start but fails to do so. Can anyone help me I've tried everything but don't know how to solve the problem. . All fuses an relays are good. I can hear the pump come on when I turn the key but I have no pressure in the check valve. Checked all the fuel line and they are good as well. My next guess was pressure regulator or the throttle sensor. Or evap canister
    I have full power an the parking brake has been off the whole time. I'm stumped to why It cut out while accelerating then died while I was driving.
    No, it is usually the first time I try to start it to leave the house that it will not start. But I have had other times where I would go into the grocery or doctors office, and when I came out, it would not start. It also seems to be worst when there is moisture in the air after it rains for a period of time. Also, without having the key inserted when I open the door after unlocking the vehicle, it will say the message, "phone not available". It is like there are parts of the electronics working even when the key is not inserted in the switch.
  • wlk3920wlk3920 Member Posts: 3
    I turned the key and nothing. Battery is ok. Grounds a good. Changed starter switch. The is not a continuous problem. It starts and is fine for a day then the next two days nothing. Spoke with a friend of mine last week and he is having a similar problem. I have changed keys and locked and unlocked truck with key. This have been two different places and they are stumped. Any other suggestions.
    Do you have the parking brake set when it does not want to start? If you do release the brake and try again.
  • kmountkmount Member Posts: 1
    About a year ago my yukon died on me going about 25 mph. We checked the fuel pump no humming and checked the pressure there was none.. So about 3 weeks ago we finally replaced the fuel pump and it will start for about 2 seconds and then dies.. It is throwing no codes at all.. So this is where it gets intense. We put a new fuel pump relay in it a new fuel filter, a new fuel pressure regulator, a new battery, a new camshaft sensor, a MAF sensor, we started getting pretty sick of throwing money away we know the PCM is giving out signal to everything we test. We tested the crankshaft sensor just to be sure its great the starter is obviousally great. We did a fuel pressure test its to specs we tested ALL the spark plugs and wires.. O YEAH plugs are brand new too! Compression is good on air flow is right.. So we were thinking maybe just maybe its the VAT security but the light doesnt continue to flash after trying to start it so we can do a relearn procedure.. It acts and makes so much sense that may be the issue but how do I know for certain without the light flashing or no codes being read. I dont have any money to tow it to a shop when I have gone thru just about everything myself. HELP!!! It starts up everytime we crank it over for about 2 seconds and then just acts like its shutting its self off. anyone have the same problem? THANKS
  • skeeter54skeeter54 Member Posts: 1
    are you losing fuel or spark to shut the truck down?
    Tried with and without parking brake. Tried in park and in nuetral. Tried changin keys. It didn't fix.
  • raddranchraddranch Member Posts: 1
    We have a 2004 2500 HD Silverado.4X4 ..4 door.. It may start a few times then it wont start. When we turn key on all the bells and whistles come on but the starter doesn't engage. so when this happens we un hook battery.. let sit all night then hook battery back up and it will start. We have learned that when we get it started we leave it running and take it to go do all our errands then return home and shut it off. then un hook battery and hook back up in morning. When we go any where one of us stays with the pickup while it's running.. It's a shame that we all spend lots of money to have a nice vehicle and then this starts happening and no one know what it is. I have spent almost $2000. to get it fixed and it's not fixed yet.. My next pick up will be a 78 GMC :-) and that's coming soon!
  • ryan_welshryan_welsh Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem on occasion with my 1993 sierra k1500... Theres a purple wire that connects to a wire right above the brake pedal. Not sure if its the same in yours but its a pretty loose connection, if you just push it together it should fix the problem. But mine hangs down so my foot catches it all the time. Hope this helps
  • sjs1041sjs1041 Member Posts: 1
    2005 GMC Sierra would not start turned the key and nothing. I stepped on the parking brake and released it and it started right up. Thank to this forum it saved me a lot of money
    The next step for me and soon it will be is to take my truck to the dealer to investigate the starting problem. Knowing how to make it "not start" and to get it to start is 90% of the solution. I will post new information when I find out what their diagonosis and fix is.
    Hello dalerh!

I am sorry to hear you are experiencing issues with your vehicle! Yes, please keep us posted on your dealership visit, and please let us know if you need any further assistance.

Jessica
    GM Customer Care
  • gfogelsogfogelso Member Posts: 1
    We have the same issue with a 2006 1500 Silverado, except it doesn't have to be cold outside. It just randomly has absolutely NO POWER...none, no dings, no lights, nothing. Then at a random later time, the power comes back. Did you ever figure out what this is on yours? Any info on what you've tried is appreciated...we are thinking of replacing the ignition switch and/or ignition cylinder. Thanks!
  • ashjul1ashjul1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 Silverado that is doing the same thing. Have you figured out what the issue is or tried replacing anything?
    I have replaced the ignition switch. Didn't fix. Took it to a auto electric place and he cleared some codes. This helped. However, it still occasionally still acts up. I've been told it is the security module and directly tied to the radio. Somehow it senses the radio has been taken? I have an appointment 8/15 to check the security module.
    I will be taking my truck in for an oil change and service very soon. I will give them a demonstration on making it not work and then making it work. Hopefully they will be able to figure it out from there. I would not spend a dime on replacement parts until all the facts are in. If all work well most of the time than everything mechanical should be good to go. I am thinking it is some kind of sensor of computer error.
  • daryl72daryl72 Member Posts: 1
    I have 2008 silverado 1500 ltz that own 4 different occasions would not crank. The first 2 times was on flat surface with no brake on when it would not start. I was able to turn steering will to left and right then it finally started. The last two times was on incline when it would not crank. I had to have truck towed to a shop. When truck unloaded off tow truck it started up. They plugged truck up to computer no errors. I talked to Gm and they had me take to Gm dealership wish showed no errors. The truck has 37100 miles on it and feel like it is not dependable.
  • j1979deej1979dee Member Posts: 2
    vehicle has been great, 1st problem since I bought it. came home yesterday as usual, went to truck this a.m. would not start. engine tries to crank (battery good), took breather off used starting fluid...nothing. checked all lines ok. all fuses and relays ok. all connections good and tight. I can hear fuel pump come on, engine tries, just wont start. 1/2 tank of gas...no moisture in air...I am absolutely stumped...please help, my only means of transportation!!
    It is good information to hear that "Non-starting" problems extend to most all GM trucks in any configuration. I can eliminate 4 wheel drive, 6.0L engine, 3/4 Ton. In my privious post I have mentioned that the parking brake is the one thing that controls the "Non-starting" problems with my truck. It has to be some kind of sensor conected to the parking brake and computer. When the parking brake is completely released it always starts. I would not take it to a dealer until I can cause and correct the issue for them to see.