Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tacoma Catalytic Converter Problems

uncle_shlomouncle_shlomo Member Posts: 2
edited July 2014 in Toyota
hi folks. my question is pre-tacoma, but i don't see another truck forum. my 94 toyota pickup (six cyl, standard cab, 4-wheel drive, man tran) failed the NOX portion of the california smog test. it is a california model. the tech says my original-equipment converter is probably to blame.

i've never done anything more complicated than change a fuel filter. is replacing the converter a repair i should attempt? does the converter just bolt on and off? can anyone recommend a model? thanks for any and all input.

Comments

• ltmarltmar Member Posts: 45
    This is an easy job. You may need a torch to heat the nuts to get them loose. Make sure you have the right gaskets and replace the hardware. I purchased a replacement catalytic converter for my '92 truck from Performance Products.
  • famousamos0307famousamos0307 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1996 Tacoma, 2WD, V4. About two years ago, I had a spark plug go bad, and I had to replace the spark plug wires because the wire on that same cylinder had a pretty bad crack. Not a big deal, although I had to drive it for a few days in that condition before it was replaced(admittedly this wasn't a good idea, but at the time I had no other options). A few months after that, my check engine light came on, with the "catalyst efficiency below threshold". I had it repaired, which ended up requiring a new catalytic converter, EGR valve and exhaust manifold.

Fast forward to about a month or two ago, when I had another spark plug/wire go bad, both on the same cylinder again. I repaired it immediately that time. About two weeks ago, my check engine light came on again...again with the catalyst efficiency code. I believe that there is an underlying issue of some kind that's causing this to keep happening(one that the lovely people who repaired my car the first time clearly missed/ignored). Does anyone have any idea about what could cause this to keep happening?
  • jsouzajsouza Member Posts: 2
    I have a 97 and I am having/had a similar issues. See my posting Check Engins/Diag code date 8.25

About 2 years ago my O2 senor was bad and had to be replaced. Now I have EGR and CAT issues but the truck is running fine. No plug issues like yu had, that I know of and nothing mention from the Toyota diag I had done.

I think there is a broader issue with quality on these parts.

Any one else having EGR and cat issues?
  • famousamos0307famousamos0307 Member Posts: 2
  • whdttwhdtt Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    My catalytic converter was stolen 2 nights ago, and am having difficulty determining what to replace it with.

Some specifics: '04 Tacoma, 4x4, 3.4L V6. Under the hood, the emissions sticker states ""Meets all Federal and California emissions standards...." And in a box it states "OBD II Compliant".

Now I know that all newer vehicles are OBD II compliant. BUT i don't know if i need the CARB certification on my new converter (i don't live in CA). Most aftermarket catcon's are "49 state" legal, and OBDII compliant, but I believe that my truck was sold as a "50 state" legal truck (it was an option that came on the truck by default). If it helps, I need a "direct fit" not a "universal fit" as I still have the flanges, but cannot weld.

So what do I need to buy, to make sure the O2 sensor, CEL, emissions, inspections, etc. don't come back to bite me???
  • tacomaguytacomaguy Member Posts: 41
    See my 10/29 post in the "Toyota Tacoma 2005+" forum.
    Above post shows why you need one of these units. Also, can be transferred from one car to another.
  • oldasdirt78oldasdirt78 Member Posts: 1
    This converter is specifically formulated for maximum performance with a budget in mind. Our parts uses all OEM connections and will fit any aftermarket parts using OEM connections, including shorty headers and cat-back exhaust systems. This is an OBDII Compliant 49 state legal part. Just go here magnaflow catalytic converter and get another one on sale
  • socalrccprixsocalrccprix Member Posts: 6
    oldasdirt78 said ------------
    This converter is specifically formulated for maximum performance with a budget in mind. Our parts uses all OEM connections and will fit any aftermarket parts using OEM connections, including shorty headers and cat-back exhaust systems. This is an OBDII Compliant 49 state legal part. Just go here magnaflow catalytic converter and get another one on sale --------------

Do these work any better than the cheaper ones like catco and eastern?
  • socalrccprixsocalrccprix Member Posts: 6
    oldasdirt78 said ------------
    This converter is specifically formulated for maximum performance with a budget in mind. Our parts uses all OEM connections and will fit any aftermarket parts using OEM connections, including shorty headers and cat-back exhaust systems. This is an OBDII Compliant 49 state legal part. Just go here magnaflow catalytic converter and get another one on sale --------------

Do these work any better than the cheaper ones like catco and eastern?

If any one is wondering I found the catco cats real cheap on ebay direct fit and I love it the part number was 36007
  • 99accent99accent Member Posts: 237
    Toyota 2001 truck ,how long are the catalytic converters warrantied
  • turtlesdove3turtlesdove3 Member Posts: 2
    I think the converters needs to be replaced if everything else you checked seems fine.
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    edited May 2010
    My son took his 04 Tacoma with 59K miles in to see if they could look at the rattling noise from underneath. It sounded like a loose heat shield, but they said the catalytic converter was making the noise. Said he could drive it until it fell apart. I called a couple muffler shops and got estimates of $350-$500. Ouch!

How critical is it to have this work done or can it wait? It's been rattling for some time, a couple years, thought it was just a loose heat shield so wasn't too worried.
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    While it won't necessarily damage the truck, what it is doing is allowing exhaust to pass through untreated... essentially, the cat has likely rotted and is no longer functional.

kcram - Pickups/Wagons Host
  • njjaynjjay Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 tacoma, i had a new muffler/tailpipe assembly installed yesterday, the original was shot. Today after starting it up fir the 2nd time the check engine light went on, so i went back to the shop. Guy said that the new muffler was creating new backpressure that caused the light to go on, the code was showing the front cat was bad. Does this make sense, anyone had anything similar?
This discussion has been closed.