Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Santa Fe Transmission Problems

Comments

• rkatherinerkatherine Member Posts: 5
    I thought it might be possible that the car was accidentally left in neutral, but if it is in neutral the key would not come out and I was the last person driving the car and did not have any problem getting the key from the ignition.

The car was on a flat area of our driveway when it apparently started to move, but the driveway quickly becomes very steep. He apparently put on the emergency brake as it was going down the steep driveway. He also turned the wheel and someone told me that he should not have had been able to do that either. I tried to get it to go from Park to Neutral today and I could not....however on further, gentle questioning he said he pulled with all of his might because he wanted to see what would happen....but I pulled pretty hard too. I am floored as to why this happened and am going to have the gear system checked completely.

Thanks for your reply, any information is so appreciated. More than anything right now, I want to find out why this happened and if there is anything more needed to be done to prevent it from reoccurring....other than never letting them go into the car alone again.
    I parked the car in the morning. I had no problems getting the key from the ignition which apparently I would have had if I accidentally left it in Park.
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    From the 2008 Santa Fe owner's manual...

If you cannot move the shift lever from the
    "P" (Park) position to any other position
    with the brake pedal fully depressed and
    the ignition key in the "ON" position, remove
    the cap on the console and with a
    thin object such as a flat-head screwdriver,
    push the shift lock release button down.
    Then, with the brake pedal depressed,
    move the shift lever to the desired position,
    and then the shift lock release button will
    automatically return to its original position
    after shifting from the "P" (Park) position.
    Then, reinstall the cap.
    If you need to use the shift lock release, it
    could mean your car is developing a problem.
    Have the car checked by your Hyundai
    dealer.

Check to see if the cap is still in place on the shift lock cover. It should be right above the P indicator on the shift console. It is possible your son stuck something in there or maybe the shift lock was broken or damaged when he pulled on it.
  • jcwsbltdjcwsbltd Member Posts: 167
    I agree - it is possible to break the shiftlock pins that prevent the gear lever being moved, with enough force. It's also possible to break the steering wheel lock, too. But, I would imagine you would have to have a very determined and strong kid to do it .."pulling with all their might".

It was not disclosed whether the vehicle moved in a straight line backwards as that would determine if the child was able to move the steering wheel, or just tried to. Moving a steering wheel without the power steering on is very difficult to do, anyway.

The dealer inspection may throw some light on it. But I bet from now on the parking brake will be applied every time the car is parked so close to a steep driveway.
    Yes, we will ALWAYS put the parking brake on from now on....and so will our neighbors with steep driveways...definitely a wake up call.

My son did move the wheel and did turn the car (which was a good thing in this situation, putting him in the path of least possible harm). I don't know how difficult it was for him to do so, I just know that he did.

I was told to have it checked out and will definetly do so ASAP. Neither my husband or myself can get it to move to neutral ourselves.

I thought it might be that I parked it and left it in neutral, but the key would not release if I did that. Also thought possible that it was not fully in Park, but then it would have to slip down two slots to neutral.

I wish I had answers, especially since I don't want this to every occur again.

I do thank you for your replies.
    Just came back from dealership, after explaining what happened, they went into my car to show me how it is not possible, however they were able to pull it down into neutral. They believe that my son broke whatever is underneath to prevent that, but still not sure that is the case. They ordered new parts, but I would like to see the old one.

FYI: NO KID WILL EVER PLAY OR BE IN A CAR OF MINE ALONE AGAIN...NOT EVEN FOR A FEW SHORT MINUTES.
  • bobmc3bobmc3 Member Posts: 8
    My 2003 Santa Fe (automatic 7.6 V6) with 42,500 miles, that was having the slippage problems, turned out to be the transmission. Glad we had the extended coverage, as they first replaced a computer which governs the auto transmission. This did not correct the problem, so the company replaced the transmission. My out of pocket was $100. The car is working just fine now! It would have been a different story if I hadn't purchased the extended warranty on this used car though.
    We still enjoy the car, and wow, the new 2008 model has everything I would have changed on the 2003 model. Nice changes and then some! I'm checking into selling this one and maybe leasing a new 2008 model. I would think a used car with a "new" computer and transmission would be a selling plus!
    Bob
  • shmshenshmshen Member Posts: 20
    I bought my 2008 Santa Fe in the middle on this May. Now it has 1650miles. It was great until yesterday (September 20). When I started, turned the transmission to “D”, pressed the gas pedal. Then I can feel the car was shaking. Apparently the transmission was working not smoothly. It used to work very smoothly until yesterday. After the first incident, I tried the “R” and it also had the same problem. The problem usually happens when I start the car and sometimes at the stop sign after a full stop.

Then I try something in the uphill (but it has a very small grade): drive to a position in the uphill, stop and park it. Then switch to “D” again, the car CANNOT stop and start retrogress :mad: . At this time, I push the gas pedal harder, then the car begins move forward with shaking.

I am thinking it is the transmission problem, but not sure if it is the same as what is being discussed here.

This is a brand new car and I did not drive it a lot. I do not do oil change or any maintenance yet.

Thank you very much for your input!
    Went to my nearest dealer this morning and they said there IS a problem in the transmission:
    No codes in system - internal mechanical concern - low pressure at idle possible pump failure in trans.

But they refused to work on it and advice me to bring it to the dealer where I purchased it. So I drove to the dealer where I bought and still waiting for their test.

That is bad, it only has 1600 miles. :mad:
    The dealer where I purchased found that the transmission has problem and needs to be replaced. :mad: Wow, it is a brand new car!!

Should I just accept the replacement? Or can I do anything else? It is a brand new car with only 1650miles!!!
  • bebbobebbo Member Posts: 1
    Hi any advice on this one would be greatly appreciated,

We have a 2001 Santa Fe which keeps jumping from second gear into third and then will not go any higher or lower until you turn the engine of and then restart when it jumps from 2nd to 3rd it goes with a thump,will be taking it to a hyundai dealer asap but just wondered if anyone has had this also

Many Thanks
  • forrest7forrest7 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2003 Santa Fe with the V6 and this morning the check engine light came on and the transmission would only engage in 3rd gear forward, however it would still go into reverse rather hard. I could not shift the transmission down with the select shift so I parked it.

I checked the fluid and it was low and dirty so I am hoping a good transmission service will take care of it and the check engine light. Does that sound like a reasonable solution or can I expect the worse and a huge transmission repair bill? Again the vehicle was driven a very short distance back home so hopefully no further internal damage occured.

It is my fault for not checking an keeping up on fluids so lessoned learned, usually that does not occur. Thank you for your feedback and input.
  • forrest7forrest7 Member Posts: 2
    Did you check the fluid while it was hot? If not you might try that
  • al12al12 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem did you find out what happened to your transmission?
  • alli14alli14 Member Posts: 2
    I just Bought a 2008 Santa FE GLS on September 25th. Unfortunatelt I live 8 hours away from the nearest Dealership, so I has hoping to get a good reliable vehicle. This is our thied vehicle, I also have a 07 Chev Silverado and a 2005 Subaru wrx STI. Anyways yesterday morning, i was running a little late, and it was maybe -2 degrees out. So I figured i would just start my santy and let it warm up while I was sitting in for a couple of Mins. Then I put my foot on the breake and moved the shifter to reverse, and NOTHING...so I sat there again for a min, and tried again...nothing...so I kept my foot on the gas and then it jerked backward a little. So I put it in Drive and...NOTHING....So I was fumeing mad, had my Spouse on the Phone and was ready to drive it back to where is came from. I hung up my cell...and then it went in and outt of gear just fine!! and itt has been fine ver since....So I called the deaership and asked if maybe there was some sort of temperature sensor for the transmission or somethin, and they said no...So now I am worried, Ilive IN the NWT and we have snpw already, we bought it so we can park our 50,000 car for the winter...Anyways I am pissed and waiting to hear fomr my salesperson... I wanta Brand new one!!!!
  • alli14alli14 Member Posts: 2
    No not yet, I was a little nasty with the chick on the phone so I fugure I'll have to keep calling until I can talk to someone about it! The funny thing is this morning we got a big dump of snow and it is a little cooler out, and I was running late so I did the same thing, and no problems....I may just stick it out and if it happens again Then I will for sure drive the 8 hours to give it back! Dont get me wrong, until yesterday morning I was sooo in LOve with my Santa Fe....now I am just a little bit uneasy!!
  • timortimor Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a second hand vehicle (Hyundai Santa Fe 2004) last week whilst working here in East Timor. The problem I am facing is that the automatic transmission of the vehicle is constantly on the 3 gear when I start the vehicle and when it runs. The gear never changes, and when I change into reverse it shakes violently. I need advice on what I should do in trying to fix the problem; as it seems that all the workshops here do not know what is wrong with the vehicle and cannot help me identify the problem.
  • snowman61963snowman61963 Member Posts: 5
    Have 2001 Santa Fe with 94,000 miles on it. Was driving along other night and felt like i was hit from behind because of the hard jerk and then check engine light came on. Had code checked and came up P1529 TCM Mil on request. Scair solenoid circuit malfunction. Any ideas what caused this
  • papayamoopapayamoo Member Posts: 12
    Hi, any update on your Santa Fe? I have a '08 Limited with 3800 miles and just started experiencing the same problem. My wife is freaked out b/c it's our first (and probably only) Hyundai. Can they really fix the car by replacing the transmission? Thanks.
  • snowman61963snowman61963 Member Posts: 5
    took to dealer and had the input shaft speed sensor replaced , which is covered by warranty
    After the dealer replace a refurbished transmission, that problem is fixed. However, I noticed that the MPG is lower than before.
    It's official. My brand new '08 Santa Fe with 3,800 miles is getting a new transmission. Not happy... :mad:
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Is Hyundai paying for it or does that come out of your own pocket?

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • bokonon3bokonon3 Member Posts: 20
    Well... at least they are replacing it, instead of arguing with you or calling it "normal" (which is what some carmakers might try). I have a friend who is a lemon law attorney, and has plenty of these stories.

Did they hassle you much before offering the new transmission?

- Bokonon
    Hyundai is paying for it and they give us a new Sonata as a loaner while the Santa Fe is in the shop. They didn't give us any "hassle" at the dealer and handle it in a very "matter of fact" way but it doesn't make me feel any better about the experience.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    it doesn't make me feel any better about the experience.

I can understand that but I know I'd feel a LOT better about not having to pay for it myself. :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    Do you get a brand new transmission? I got a refurbished one which I was not happy, but the dealer said Hyundai will only give you refurbished parts under warranty.
  • hockeyfan40hockeyfan40 Member Posts: 2
    considering buying SF 2008 new. Now after reading tranny problems, worried if I should buy it or not. Any suggestions.
  • lucky15lucky15 Member Posts: 72
    I believe all the reports of tranny problems with the 2007 Sante Fe, and I don`t think there were that many, were on the SE or Limited, which have the larger engine and a 5 speed tranny, on the GLS, which I own, it has a smaller engine and there is a 4 speed tranny, and I have not had any problems at all with it and I have 10,000 miles on it. So, for what it is worth this may help you decide on what to do.
  • hockeyfan40hockeyfan40 Member Posts: 2
    lucky15, thanks for the reply. Actually looking at the 2008 SF, SE model. Were the problems with the 2007s only?
  • paulnzpaulnz Member Posts: 16
    I have a 2008 SF Limited 3.3 AWD that shifts hard when the engine/trans (see the thread I started about the problem).

The 2007 and 2008 appear to be essentially the same, so I would think the trans problems would apply to both years.

Even though I am really upset with my trans problem, so far the diagnostics that have been run on it show that it is working properly. And it DOES work properly once warmed up.

When you are looking at problems with the Santa Fe trans (5 speed auto), they fall into two areas: 1.) Poor shifting under certain conditions or trans failures and 2.) a 'slow' 1st to 2nd shift.

There have not been many posts related to #1 (mine falls into that category), but there have been a lot about #2. Mine does have the #2 problem, but it has never bothered me. I had a Villager minivan that shifted from 1st to 2nd in exactly the same way, so I am used to it. Other people absolutely can't stand it. I suspect that problem #2 will never be eliminated (although it is possible that there could be a future software upgrade that might help).

So, I think that unless you are unlucky like a few of us have been, you probably won't have a trans failure or other trans weirdness. However, you should put a lot of test drive miles on one before you buy to be sure that you can live with the way it shifts from 1st to 2nd.
    I don't know if the replacement transmission is new or not. I did not ask the question when it was getting serviced. The truck seems to be running well now and I hope it holds up. We've been very gentle with it since it was new and only to be rewarded with a problem.

I'll be reluctant to recommend Hyundai to people I know base on my experience but I don't know if I am "one in a million" or "one in a hundred". So as to a new car buying decision, I would ask you to weight the cost saving (if any) to say an equivalent car of a more reputable brand. If the SF is 2 or 3 grans cheaper then an say Honda CR-V, is that 2 to 3 grans worth the headache to you? Or maybe 4-5 grans saving?
  • SouperWaySouperWay Member Posts: 1
    How did your new transmission work out? At about 300 miles my 08 SF SE started having problems shifting, it would stutter or lurch when the gas was pressed just a little. If you punched it, it would stutter once and then accelerate, it seems that the transmission is shifting up and down. I dont' know though, it's in the shop right now. I'm obviously not happy at all, this is the second time it's been in the shop for this issue. Just wondering if other 08 SF are having the same syptom, and how yours turned out.
  • bnberniebnbernie Member Posts: 20
    The last few weeks in Minnesota has been very cold, 20+ below zero. I have a 07 Santa Fe Limited. Today it shifted so hard from 1st to 2nd gear that the check engine light came on. The Hyundai Dealer I bought it from went out of business, so I called another one. The early st I can get it in is 4 days. I told them that was unacceptable, and any further damage would be their problem. I'm sure that my not buying it from this dealer has put me on the bottom of their list. I guess i'll halfto wait and see.
  • iand2iand2 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Santa FE with 2.7 with 96000km on the clock, the problem I am having is that when you are travelling and you take your foot off the accelerator the car decides to shift down from 4th to 2nd and starts breaking. It feels as if you have the speed control set (which is not the case here) the car is trying to maintain it’s set speed.
    Anyone know what the would be causing this to happen
  • 08santafe08santafe Member Posts: 1
    Hi! I just had almost the exact same situation happen to me. I just bought a 2008 Santa Fe SE and just picked it up last Thursday night. We were going out of town on Friday so we got to our destination (about 200 miles from our home). We were parking in a parking garage to go to dinner when the car wouldn't reverse by that I mean it would go into reverse but it wouldn't move backwards it just sounded like it was in neutral. So we finally got it out of the parking garage as it would still drive. We were trying to take it back to the place we were staying and all of the sudden the car jerked like it was having problems switching gears and than the check engine light came on. We pulled over right away and called the roadside assistance. At that point the car had 290 miles on it and I had the car for almost exactly 25 hours. They towed the car to the nearest Hyundai dealer. Since it was a Friday night it didn't get looked at until Monday morning. They said that the transmission needed to be replaced.

My issue is that I paid for a new car not a car that had to be ripped apart to have a new transmission put in at 290 miles. I'm currently in the beginning stages of fighting for a completely new vehicle. I was just wondering how you got the dealership to buy back your car and if you had any suggestions on dealing with this issue. Where did you buy your car from? Did they buy it back? Everyone at Hyundai that I've talked to said that have never heard of this happening before an it's such a freak incident but honestly if it is I don't understand why I can't have my car replaced. It doesn't seem normal to me.

I really appreciate any information and advice you may have. I'm shocked to have found someone else that has had a similar situation happen to them.
  • parag1parag1 Member Posts: 6
    Hi,

I have also bought the new '08 Hyundai and I was talking to someone from Hyundai customer support about some accessories I wanted which do not come on GLS (Fog Lights) and the customer associate told me if my car is less then 500 miles then dealer ship should be able to fix me up with the new car since less then 500 miles is considered as new car. You should check this out.
    See my old post:
    The dealer where I purchased found that the transmission has problem and needs to be replaced. Wow, it is a brand new car!!

Should I just accept the replacement? Or can I do anything else? It is a brand new car with only 1650miles!!!

You are not alone.
  • rectechrectech Member Posts: 1
    Emission check revealed a code referring to the torque converter. My mechanic friend says it indicates the transmission is not shifting to overdrive.
    Can anyone tell me if this is true and what causes the shift to overdrive? Hydrolic pressure and or electronic controlled valve?
  • kriscoakriscoa Member Posts: 3
    I bought this car new (but with 5k miles on it where the dealership manager drove it). I love the car, but I keep having this issues where 1st the check engine light comes on then the ESC light and there is another light right under it that looks like the car chassi..four wheels, etc. anyway it starts blinking, I lose all acceleration. The only fix is to pull off on the road, turn the car off, turn it back on and go again until it stops. This last time that didn't even fix it until I put it in gear and then back in park, turned it off and back on and it let me go about 4 miles and I had to do it all over again. I have had it to the dealership three times in the last year I have had the car. I have contacted Hyundai for statistics on this issus. Has anyone else experienced this? I don't know if the throttle sensors they keep replacing is a band aid for a BIGGER problem or if this is just a know issue that will keep happening.
  • rsaizonrsaizon Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problem on my new 2008 Santa Fe. Transmission was replaced at 36,000 miles. This morning big jerk when I stopped at a red light. Called Hyundai, they want me to bring it in. Do not believe them they will say that they have never heard of this but they are lying. This is the second time I am having trouble. I am also starting procedures to get my money back.
  • espo35espo35 Member Posts: 144
    Reading this thread, I see TWO people complaining about their transmissions in a YEAR'S worth of thread.

Not too bad.
  • timleonard32timleonard32 Member Posts: 1
    Im not sure if anyone can help me with this, but I have a 2004 Santa Fe 2.7 with a 4 speed automatic transmission and 79,000 miles. Recently, I have had a time getting it to go into gear when I first start it up. It is cold right now so I thought maybe that would factor in a bit, but it seems to get worse. I will put it in reverse to back out of my parking spot and it will sit there and not engage, and once it engages and I put it into drive, it wont engage into drive for about 5-8 seconds.

Just today, I went to put it into reverse and it just sat there....and sat there.....and sat there. I would rev it up and nothing would happen and finally I would hit the gas and it would start to crawl back like I am driving a manual vehicle.

I've also noticed that it shifts hard from 1st-2nd and if i dont have my foot fully on the gas at slower speeds (under 45) it seems like it slips out of the gear. I checked the transmission fluid and I put more in it, but it hasn't helped.
  • pounpoun Member Posts: 1
    Hi Guys

My SF 2008 SE is driving me crazy. On one day the car drives very smooth and shift very well, on another day it drivers like if I'm polling a truck behind me, stiff and slow shifting from gear 1 to 2. I took it to Hyundai dealer three time , and every time they told that the car is perfect and there in no error or code to duplicate. I don't now what to do anymore. I will lose lot of money if I try selling it. Any help appreciated.
  • virtuousladyvirtuouslady Member Posts: 2
    my 2003 has a jerking issue that has just recently started jerking when i put it into gear it will jerk then few seconds after will drive. when i slow down at a light or anywhere the car will loose power and shut off. hyundai canada doesn know or see any problem but that will happen at the wrong place ,wrong time. It did it when i was about to make a left turn and it shut down i could have been in a terrible accident
  • omar6575omar6575 Member Posts: 24
    my 2008 santa fe ltd with 15,000 miles has develop some issues with the transmission from the moment they change the tps sensor ( GOT CODE P2135.) . well the car ran find after for about a day,then while slowing down to a light the car would kick hard, took it back, they re-calibrated the tps sensor. and 3 tech took it for a ride, according to them the car was fin. yesterday, while driving around 20 mph you can hear low rattle and slight moan coming from under the car and once the car gets to fifth gear all those the noises disappear .. at that point frustrated, thinking why i bought a Hyundai. i jack the front wheels and to my surprise i find a side to side free play from the passenger side front wheel, at least a 1/4 of inch of free play is noticed. it seems i also need an inner tied rod. totally unrelated problem.. in a lighter note, t the transmission is shifting perfectly even thougth those noises and rattles, since i have awd i was thinking it could be the tranfer case. any how this car is going back on monday. :mad:
  • bnberniebnbernie Member Posts: 20
    I made a post in here about a year ago about my santa fe shifting from 1st to 2nd badly. Well its done it 3 times so far this winter, and of course the dealer cant find any problems with it. I'm about ready to trade it off on something befor the tranny blows up. :mad:
    well, the dealer states they need more time to diagnose the problem, according to the service advisor they are not sure if it is a transfer case or transmission internal issued.
    either or is under warranty. i have a feeling this guys are going to change the transmission. Has anyone being thru this before, any idea how long that takes? :(
  • turtle100turtle100 Member Posts: 3
    I have the same car where same problem just developed, 14k miles. Can you tell me how your problem was resolved? Thanks very much.
    Well I got the car back, the dealer replace the entire transmission, flush the transmission cooler, radiator and change the coolant. To be really honest the car runs better than it did when it was new. The car its now very,very,very smooth. The shifting logic is perfect, it goes tru all gears seamless, no noises or grinding, even when you shift out of park you cant feel anything its scary smooth...
    i find my self checking if its in reverse drive or in park. ill will keep you guys posted with any issues, but so far it feels like i have a new car again. :)