Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Santa Fe Transmission Problems

167891012»

Comments

• outbackj1outbackj1 Member Posts: 11
    I brought my 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe to the dealer today and it needs a new transmission. After slowing down then giving the car gas, it would make a very loud thud and I would be jolted forward. At times it sounded like the transmission was going to be left on the roadway! Only 15.000 miles on it too. Very disappointing to say the least but they did loan me a 2012 Veracruz.
    You're not alone!
  • gunga64gunga64 Member Posts: 271
    Engine and transmission having problems at 30-40MPH
  • derwoodtderwoodt Member Posts: 2
    Yes thats it exactly! I have a 2010 and a 2008 and they both have it.
  • safwanhashmisafwanhashmi Member Posts: 1
    I got one with Third Row. I like it very much but I hate two things about it.

1. I drive on long routes and it has only 64 liters tank. which gives me approx 300km in one tank if I lock my car on 160km/h. Imagine if I go above it and I bought this Santa Fe for visiting a city once in two month which 1500km away.

2. When you put in Manual mode (TipTronic) it still drives the same as Automatic mode. Specially going up hills and putting it into a drag race ...!!! You can't hold the gear, shift down the gear by your choice ... The Car won't let you ...!!!... What the hell why to put Manual mode if can't support it ...!!!... Why deceive the customer ...???
  • delquarcoodelquarcoo Member Posts: 2
    When I engage the transmission gear drive to D, it shows on the dash board in the third position instead of the first position for my Hyundai Santa be. Thanks
  • delquarcoodelquarcoo Member Posts: 2
    When I engage the transmission gear drive to D, it shows on the dash board in the third position instead of the first position for my Hyundai Santa fe. It does not change into any other gear again.Thanks
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    Sounds like your SF is in limp-home mode. Do you have a check engine light showing up in your dash? Could be a sensor problem or some other engine/transmission module has failed. If you are near a place like AutoZone, Advance Auto, etc, stop in and have them do a diagnostic on your car. Or visit a Hyundai dealer's service dept to have it check out.
  • chucko6chucko6 Member Posts: 81
    When you start to pull out, does it go through all the shifts or does it not go beyond 3rd.

By the way, what year is the Sante ?
  • 93buicklesabre93buicklesabre Member Posts: 11
    I have a 2003 Santa fe I was driving home and it started shaking and making a loud grinding noise like the wheel was about to fall off... Then the car filled with smoke and I pulled off the road. I was able to get the car home but it won't hold a hill in park and will roll down the hill without the e-brake on.... Help me out and what could be the problem? Thanks.
  • chucko6chucko6 Member Posts: 81
    Hey Buck,

Sounds like time for a new one--- Got rid of my 2010 @ 30,000
  • wettoeswettoes Member Posts: 1
    Got a check engine light not 30sec after telling husband how proud of our Santa fe I was!!Just my luck! Bout 3 wks ago engine would bog down couple of times when reaching bout 42mph. Got car used1 yr ago, odometer don't work , speedometer don't work, replaced heater control switch unit 2mo after got it ...run great and I travel bout 4-600 mi every other week.sometimes switches gears hard and engine will reave when in idle sometimes to 1rpm. Check engine won't go off but everything seems to be running fine?!?! My GPS tells me how fast I'm going so fixing other problems didn't seem important...but the check engine light is worrying me.
  • melbacutemelbacute Member Posts: 1

My 2001 Hyundai Sta Fe AWD has a problem about driveshift of the transmission. When hot operation run my car for almost 5kms. And stop the car shift to park or neutral position. After aminute or seconds shift to drive was delayed respond and when it engages suddenly run and there a big noise or thud on the transmission. Anybody help me to determined what is the possible causes? We changes already the whole transmission and consule module but still the same.
    Thanks . Regards to all members.
    Greeting from Phillipines.

• bk79bk79 Member Posts: 1
    So I have a 2002 Santa Fe 2.7 litter V6 4WD and my transfer case had a super slow leak. One day the yammer case destroyed it's self while I was driving on the highway. It cost me $3,000.00 dollars to fix. My dad said there was a very common problem with vent tube failing and causing Transfer case to slowly destroy its self. Had any one else has to replace the transfer case or had a similar problem?
  • majerlmajerl Member Posts: 1
    My 2004 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.0 generally uphill , 3rd of the 4rd speed gear when switching noise vibrates . The stabilizer arms, and replaced with fresh motor oil , engine mounts checked. What could be the problem ?