Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Exploding Sunroofs!

Comments

• emily21emily21 Member Posts: 1
    At least I aint the only one. Just read this and it's happening everywhere
    Why do sunroofs explode
  • uazip78uazip78 Member Posts: 1
    On December 26th, 2010, I was entering the highway in my 2007 Hyundai Sonata with my wife, mom, and two young children when I hear a noise that sounded like a shutgun going off above our heads. When I pulled over to inspect my vehicle I noticed that there was a large hole in my sunroof. Fortunately I had the sun shade pulled and nobody was injured.

I took it to the dealership but they wouldn't do anything since my warranty expired...my extended warranty wouldn't touch it either. My insurance company wouldn't cover it since I didn't think anything struck the glass, they felt it was a vehicle defect, not an accident.

To make a long story short, I ended up contacting Hyundai USA's corporate offices, submitting a bunch of paperwork, and they wouldn't do anything. I had to pay the $650 or whatever to have it repaired. While I am thankful no one was hurt, I feel they should have covered this.

Now that Hyundai has issued a recall on 2012 Veloster cars due to exploding sunroofs, I am revisiting my claim with them.
  • dknitsdknits Member Posts: 1
    We have a 2001.5 VW Passatt, 110,000 miles. On 12/31/12 we heard a very loud double explosion while driving 65 mph in clear conditions at 34 degrees F. The sunroof had exploded. Glass shattered all over us. We did not see any flying rocks, and were not near other cars. We had gone under a few overpasses and wondered if someone had thrown a large rock. We had driven for about 150 miles at the time, and 50 miles earlier had driven through some snow and 29 degrees at the coldest. Prior to this time we had not opened the sunroof for at least a couple of months. We did have the inside shade open. We bought the car new with the sunroof already installed. We were in shock for a few minutes, but found a Home Depot and taped card board over the opening to complete our trip. Do we look for a body shop that has experience with VW? Will call our local mechanic. Had never heard of this problem. Do we report this to traffic safety? Is an older car exempt from safety concerns? Hope this does not happen often to others. Very scary
  • denee246denee246 Member Posts: 4
    My sunroof was open, my husband was driving and I was reading a book in the passengers seat cruising down the Interstate. Without warning glass started raining down on us. There was no sound (like a rock hitting) or other warning, the glass just started falling on us. Luckily my husband was wearing a baseball cap or he might have been blinded by the falling glass resulting in an accident or injury. We were so shocked, we limped off at the next exit and pulled over. It looked like a stress fracture to us as both sides of the sunroof were at 45 degree angles. How could the alleged "rock" that we didn't hear manage to break the glass from two different locations (pictures available). Our car is less than 3 months old! The Dealership is repairing, but the repair is on my insurance. The Service Manager said they use tempered glass that is designed to shatter...on a roof. I think this is an engineering defect and a safety issue. Although my moon roof is being repaired, I doubt I'll use it ever again. I am taking it to have 3M film applied to the glass to prevent the glass from showering us again. It is a very unpleasant occurrence.
  • rocco1951rocco1951 Member Posts: 7
    I had a Scion (Toyota) with the same problem. It was under warranty but Toyota refused to pay for the repair. I took them to arbitration (explained in your owner manual) and they paid for the repair. I suggest you do the same. It can all be handled through the mail.
  • kianomore1kianomore1 Member Posts: 1
    Rear passenger window on 2011 KIA Sorento exploded for no apparent reason while driving on I-75 in 72 degree weather on a beautiful day. KIA refused to replace, even with the bumper to bumper warranty purchased with vehicle.
  • poppyandhoneypoppyandhoney Member Posts: 1
    Bought the 2013 Venza less that two months ago with 6 miles on it. Salesman went on about how GREAT this vehicle is, bought the warranty the finance guy said "everything but the brakes" were covered and guess what? They aren't covering the phantom EXPLODING sun roof!! NOT happy about the sudden "I don't know them" syndrome I got from the dealer. They are blaming it on Toyota but I think it's just like every other dealer out there, once they got ya they leave ya. Oh yes, they talk to you like they owe you money. they sold you a hand full of rocks and they promised they would be marbles...My bad, It wont ever happen again.
    I had the same problem with a Scion Tc. I took them to arbitration and they paid. Procedure is in your Toyota owners manual.
    I bought a 2013 Venza 12/15/12. Feb. 22, 2013, my moonroof shattered as we were driving down the interstate. Very scary and made a mess of my car. It seems a stress fracture to us. Please post your experience at https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint. Toyota does not notify their dealers of any problems until there are several. The moonroof raining down on you is a serious safety issue--could have blinded the driver resulting in a wreck. Mine wasn't covered under warranty either. Now moon roof grinds from glass remaining. I share your pain.
  • ajgrantcshajgrantcsh Member Posts: 9
    I had this happen on a 2009 BMW about six months after I got it. Just coincidentally I mentioned it to a friend who said it had happened to him with a new shower enclosure. He had just had the bathroom renovated, and heard a loud bang. Fortunately the bathroom was vacant at the time. He said it was like shrapnel exploded, destroying all the new work. Amidst fighting with contractors and manufacturers he did some research and found an architectural white paper, which reported that spontaneous shattering is a known phenomenon of tempered glass. Every so many units per the millions manufactured have microscopic defects that cause the glass to shatter. The auto dealers automatically tell you something hit the glass, which in most cases is not true. But it's a fight to get them pay for the repair.
  • mfj62mfj62 Member Posts: 1
    My 2013 Hyundai Sante Fe sunroof exploded for no reason. The weather was mild at the time (59 degrees). I was traveling at 60 mph on the freeway, and the roof was open to the vented position at the time. It sounded like a gunshot. Glass showered the inside of the car.
  • nswartz2105nswartz2105 Member Posts: 1
    Yesterday my wife was driving her 2013 kia optima sxl down the interstate when a loud pop sound was made followed by falling glass from the sunroof. A softball size hole was noted to the rear of the glass with the remainder being shattered. Luckily her nor our 5 year old son was injured. Took it to the dealership today and we ate waiting on the Kia area rep to give us a decision on if they can replace it under warranty or not.
  • insulmaninsulman Member Posts: 1
    On May 31st 2013 - While traveling down RTE 93 South in New Hampshire we experience a very loud bang, there were no other cars or truck around us, no one threw a rock, no bird hit the SUV.
    I happened to glance up at the roof and realized that the front sun roof had exploded into a million pieces, fortunately it was safety glass and it all stayed in one piece. We are now waiting for the new sun roof to come in. No one seem to have one in stock and it needs to be ordered out of OHIO. I did call Chevrolet headquarters and they took the information and gave me a claim number. They said they would investigate it and call me back which they did bat stated that there is no know problem with the sun roof. It was a windy day, 90 degrees out and we put the air conditioner on, I don't know it this has any thing to do with the cause of it.
  • delrio41delrio41 Member Posts: 1
    My car is less than 6 months old. I was driving on the interstate when I heard a loud noise (like a gunshot). The front glass panel of my sunroof exploded...fortunately, I had the cover on, so no glass entered the interior. I've taken the car back to Ford, and I'm waiting to hear what they say...hoping they do the right thing AND, try to tell me it was just a rock.
  • dmz4dmz4 Member Posts: 1
    We were driving on I-71 in an open area (no trees, no birds, no bridges, no other large vehicles, no construction near us) when our moonroof exploded. It sounded like a shotgun blast and when we looked at the moonroof there was a quarter sized hole with the glass shattered all around it. Fragments of glass began dropping into our van, in our hair, on our clothes and in our drinks. We pulled the moonroof cover closed and glass continued to blow out of the moonroof until we were able to pull over safely. Pieces of glass are now everywhere in the van and in our clothing including down the backs of our shirts. What a mess to cleanup! We're so glad our kids weren't injured with all the glass shards. I hope Toyota will do what's right and find out why the glass unexpectedly shattered. It is definitely a safety issue especially with little kids in the van.
  • terriehterrieh Member Posts: 8
    This happened to my 2013 Ford Escape last week. What resolution did you get from Ford and/or your dealership?
  • dbbogeydbbogey Member Posts: 3
    I have had this happen twice - two years ago my wife's 2008 GL 550 exploded outward. Out of warranty and I replaced at dealer. They never offered to fix and since out of warranty I didn't fight it and was not sure of my wife and daughters story. This week the same thing happened to me in a brand new Audi A8L. Tooling along about 75 with only cars behind me, and I thought a cannon had gone off. Glass was blown outward and scratched the paint all the way back to the trunk. Audi will replace and fix. I am looking into what company supplies sunroof glass for the German Automakers. Interesting link to a story about a women in San Francisco with a new BMW, physics professor got into the act when BMW first tried to deny.

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news/7_on_your_side&id=8026317
    I'm STILL fighting with FORD over it. They said there was an impact too. I can guarantee there wasn't. I wasn't driving near, behind, over or under anything or anyone that would have thown an object. Insurance said the same thing...that ford should pay. My car is only 7 months old. I'm going to send them the link that you shared as well showing the engineers point of view. Thanks for sharing.
    Ford is refusing to cover this issue. They have denied the claim. They will not stand behind their products. Never again will I buy another Ford. EVER. Nor will I recommend a Ford to anyone. This is complete BS.
  • charfacecharface Member Posts: 1
    While driving to work yesterday, on a major highway, my sunroof spontaneously shattered and fell in on me. Has anyone else with a VW, that had this issue, reached out to VW about this? Did you have any resolutions. The car is a 2009, I find it highly unacceptable that this could happen. Not to mention extremely dangerous.
    Ford did not care about my issue, nor did they compensate. I ended up having to file it on my insurance because. I'm like you...it's very unfair and very dangerous. They didn't seem to care. Mine is a 2013, only 7 months old.
  • kimcrowellkimcrowell Member Posts: 1
    I was driving to the coast today, August 7th, when out of nowhere I heard a loud explosion. I had my shade closed on my sunroof (thank goodness or I would have been pelted by glass) and I could hear the shards of glass flying off the roof of my car and down through the cracks of the shade. My car is 328xi, 2012 wagon, just a little over a year old. I was neither following a car nor was there a car in the opposite lane. Most surprisingly.....I had my LONGBOARD (surfboard) COVERING MOST OF MY SUNROOF! The board was attached with tie-downs to my Thule crossbars and was not touching the sunroof but was about three inches off of it. With my surfboard covering most of the sunroof HOW IN THE HECK DID IT SIMPLY EXPLODE? If this was a rock hit, how did a rock manage to get between the board and sunroof? I just dropped off the car after hours to the dealer, will be interesting to see if I can get this covered under warranty. At 37, I have been lucky to never have been in a car accident and this experience really startled me. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    I had this happen a few years ago with my 2009 335xi when it was in service only 5 months. It is a known property of tempered glass that in the manufacturing process nickel sulfide traces can be embedded in the glass. This is rare, but it happens enough to be recognized by the glass industry. Those undetectable traces cause spontaneous shattering. Google "spontaneous breakage of tempered glass", and you will find many references. One is at

http://www.eckelt.at/en/downloads/produkte/spontaneous_breakage_of_fully_tempere- d_glass.pdf

If you are interested in my experience with BMW, contact me off list at ajgrant@outlook.com . My settlement with them prevents me from public posting. That in itself speaks volumes.
    When I posted, my email address was altered, and the "at" symbol is missing. If you want to contact me the address is ajgrant"at symbol"outlook.com. For some reason this text editor removes the symbols.
  • nottonotto Member Posts: 1
    My sunroof exploded on I-90 in Seattle yesterday afternoon. It's a 2010 with 43,000 miles, so I'm hoping it will be covered under my warranty. They say it's a rock that's the issue, but I don't think a rock could get going that fast in the vertical direction to break a sunroof. This professor agrees http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news/7_on_your_side&id=8026317 so I'm going to keep talking with them about it.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    That's a spam-prevention measure. That way, bots can't harvest email addresses posted here. We change it to an image of the "at" sign so it makes them get an invalid email error. Real humans tend to be able to figure it out. :)

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Audi has been great about it - new roof and touch up the clear coat and I am on the road. In retrospect, after seeing the professor explain the physics of it all, I should have harassed MB about my wife's sunroof even though out of warranty. After some internet research, this appears to be more common in German Autos although not exclusive. (Hyuandai has issues) I am trying to tie together who supplies the sunroofs in Germany to the various makers. I suspect a common thread.
  • mommahogmommahog Member Posts: 1
    I was driving down the road yesterday and my sunroof exploded like a gun shot. No one was around us. Just exploded. We took it to the dealer and they said that glass wasnt covered under warranty. They are calling Chrysler to talk to them about it. They did give us a courtesy car but i hope that it will be covered by company as i see this has happened before.
  • behnam62behnam62 Member Posts: 1
    I was driving to work,august 13th,The moonroof on my 2013 Nissan Teana j 32 exploded ,it sounded like a gunshot. Spontaneous glass breakage happened without any apparent reason and also it wasn’t a rock hit. Luckily the sunshade was closed and I didn’t injured but I was shocked. I took my car to the saipa central workshop1, Tehran ,Iran . They replaced the moonroof under the warranty. I profusely thank the manager of this company for the excellent service given to me , I also thankful for the cooaperation of nissan team of the saipa central workshop1.
  • ghedirudyghedirudy Member Posts: 1
    Just had the same experience on my BMW 128i. Sunroof just exploded over me with nothing possible that could have hit it. Luckily, the visor was down so I was not injured. Since the warranty has expired, I'm pretty much out of luck and will just have to pay for all damages out of pocket. Still a frustrating thing to have happen. A sunroof shouldn't just shatter on its own and it will probably make me rethink my next car choice.
  • spechacekspechacek Member Posts: 6
    Last week while driving down the road, my moon roof exploded. My grandson was in the car with me. I had never heard of such a thing. I took my truck to the dealer who said they had never heard of such a thing and would put the glass on digital imaging. I filed a complaint with Ford customer care since my new truck is under warranty and then proceeded to file a complaint with NHTSA as well. On the NHTSA site, there are several complaints of the same experience I had. Ford finally has agreed to pay 1/2 of the cost of the roof, but no thank you. I am working to get a recall. I have also contacted Carlite Glass who is the manufacturer of all the glass for Ford. They of course told me they have not received any complaints or ever heard of an issue with exploding moon roofs. I let them know, they have just been made aware of the issue. I offered to send the links or forums that I had Googled with all the complaints, the contact person declined my offer. My service advisor at Ford acknowledged there was no evidence of an impact, which I had already told them and yet they want the customer to file an insurance claim. I explained to them, that is considered FRAUD since there was no impact! Please if you have had an issue, call and complain to the NHTSA and get the investigation going. I have already contacted my local news station as well. It is a safety issue not a monetary issue!!!
    Last week while driving down the road, my moon roof exploded. My grandson was in the car with me. I had never heard of such a thing. I took my truck to the dealer who said they had never heard of such a thing and would put the glass on digital imaging. I filed a complaint with Ford customer care since my new truck is under warranty and then proceeded to file a complaint with NHTSA as well. On the NHTSA site, there are several complaints of the same experience I had. Ford finally has agreed to pay 1/2 of the cost of the roof, but no thank you. I am working to get a recall. I have also contacted Carlite Glass who is the manufacturer of all the glass for Ford. They of course told me they have not received any complaints or ever heard of an issue with exploding moon roofs. I let them know, they have just been made aware of the issue. I offered to send the links or forums that I had Googled with all the complaints, the contact person declined my offer. My service advisor at Ford acknowledged there was no evidence of an impact, which I had already told them and yet they want the customer to file an insurance claim. I explained to them, that is considered FRAUD since there was no impact! Please if you have had an issue, call and complain to the NHTSA and get the investigation going. I have already contacted my local news station as well. It is a safety issue not a monetary issue!!!
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "...My service advisor at Ford acknowledged there was no evidence of an impact, which I had already told them and yet they want the customer to file an insurance claim. I explained to them, that is considered FRAUD since there was no impact!..."

If you honestly tell them what happened when you file the claim, it is not fraudulent. I don't know if they will pay - it would depend on the policy - but it is not fraud.
  • imaudi77imaudi77 Member Posts: 2
    This just happened to me on Monday. I have a brand new 2013 Ford Edge Sport, was driving over a bridge and BAM, I hear what sounds like a gun shot. Look up to see my panoramic moonroof shattered. Pulled off the next exit and upon closer look all four sides of the roof were shattered to pieces while the center area was entirely cracked but still intact. Called Ford dealership right away, the Service Manager said he's never seen anything like it and took pics to send to FMC. FMC said nope, something definitely hit the glass, and the manager responded and told them absolutely nothing hit the glass. There is no impact crack anywhere and if something did hit the glass then there is no reason why all four sides of the glass would have shattered to pieces. Two days later and we are still waiting to hear if FMC is going to pay for it. Right now they're offering to pay for half, but no, I shouldn't be out any money for this. Like you said, this is a safety issue and I am disgusted that FMC would rather not pay out a couple grand to fix something, if even that much for them, than do the right thing for a customer. From what I understand, once it gets escalated to the Area Rep they usually back down and take care of it, but I shouldn't be fighting this hard. For the service manager to even be taking additional action on my behalf because HE is adamant nothing hit my moon roof speaks volumes. Outcome to be determined.
    I sent you an email yesterday. But just to make sure I wanted to post an update that will hopefully benefit you. I fought with Ford for 8 long days on this one. Like you they offered to pay 1/2, I contacted Carlite who distributes the glass to Ford and got them on board. By offering to pay half they are taking some responsibility. Never the less, After emailing all the links concerning this problem to Ford , Carlite and NHTSA, I started getting some attention. I informed Ford that I would sue for the damages which included a rental while they were kicking the can around to see who was going to be responsible. I ended up paying for half and was contacted by Ford executive liaison a few days later. They are reimbursing me and said they are NOW going to check into this. I promise you one thing, THEY ALL ARE AWARE OF THIS NOW. I told them, No one at Ford can say they are not aware because I have made them all aware that this is a problem. Don't give up and don't give in!
    Ford NEVER took responsibility when this happened to my 2013 Ford Escape. I fought them for over a week. I ended up having to put it on my insurance and the dealership picked up the deductible ONLY because I put up such a fight. I've had so many other problems with Ford and they do not care about the customer beyond the sale. Sad really. This will be my last Ford. Good luck in getting them to take responsibility for anything. I agree with the other poster...they are aware! They are just trying to swindle out!
  • imaudi77imaudi77 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks! I am not giving up. I am writing a letter today and sending it with printout of all these posts from Ford owners along with some other research I've done. This is insane, and quite frankly, the worst customer service I've ever seen. Sorry, but I'm not purchasing a $44k vehicle and being brushed aside with what is a very serious safety issue. Glad it worked out for you!
    I had the same situation with Toyota. They refused. I took the matter to arbitration. Toyota paid.
  • platinumdriverplatinumdriver Member Posts: 1
    Purchased my new F350 Platinum series on July 21, 2013...today driving on a secondary highway with no vehicles close by, I heard a loud bang, just like a shotgun. I was talking with my husband on sync, both at the same time we said what the heck was that. I immediately noticed my sunroof was shattered! I called the dealership, she said she had never heard of that before and to come right in. upon entering the dealership the service gal immediately told me it was not covered and the bill is $1500.00. I explained there was no way a rock could have hit my vehicle unless one fell out of the sky. The dealership has since offered to pay half but we are not at all happy with that. I am going to report on NHTSA and see where we go from there.
    I had a similar moon roof implosion in my 2013 Toyota Venza. I believe we are suffering from a design defect called a tension fracture. Anyway, please post your experience on the govts' website NHTSA. There have to be 10 reports of a problem before one exists. Also, please post pictures, etc. at Carcomplaint.com. You can also view my Venza moonroof shattered pictures at Carcomplaint.com.

In my opinion, there is no way a rock can cause your moonroof to tear on the right and left sides, while the middle is still complete
    Hi denee246,
    There's no need to post the same response to multiple members. Those who are following this discussion will see your original response.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Don't accept no for an answer, as I said before they are ALL aware of the problem. Let them know that your expenses are now becoming damages in the suit you will file. I have notified Carlite, Ford Customer Care and the NHTSA as well as my insurance company of the problem. It is becoming apparent by all the post, that Ford has instructed the dealers as well as the warranty company the acceptable response to give to its consumer. I am not sure of the other car companies, but this was the same response I got.
    This has happened to my vehicles twice. One a 2008 Merc GL550 - wife was driving and boom. I was like the service guys and was dubious that nothing hit the roof even though my wife and daughter insisted nothing hit the car. We got it fixed and I paid - it was out of warranty. About 2-3 months ago I was driving my 2013 Audi A8L and the same thing happened driving down the interstate...it was like a cannon had gone off. Luckily both times the shade was closed. The only common thread was the weather...overcast, drizzling rain and humid with the A/C on cold inside. Apparently that is not a factor looking at these threads. Anyway - Audi fixed it with no fuss and was great about it...offered a car, etc. Much to my surprise, I get a recall notice on shattering sunroofs in the mail this week! I am checking to see if I got the right replacement but at least they are owning up to it. Looking back on it I should have pressed MB about it but suspect it would not have mattered. I believe there is a common thread with the glass suppliers.
  • thestewartsthestewarts Member Posts: 1
    Figured I would add our story in to the mix!

My husband and I were in our 2013 Ford Focus ST this past Saturday, driving across Central Washington. It was a super windy day, with gusts up to 50 mph. We were driving across flatlands, laughing at all the tumbleweeds blowing across the road, when suddenly (just like I've read in previous comments) a loud POP over our heads scared us!! We looked up and were shocked to see our sun roof was completely shattered and the middle of it was gone!

We pulled over and looked, thinking perhaps something hit us. But no. The glass was pushed slightly outward, as if air pressure just sucked it right out. Some glass blew in on us, but the majority of the glass was left somewhere on the highway behind us. We were absolutely dumbfounded.

We still had a couple of hours left to drive. That sure was a long drive home.

We figured it was a freak occurrence with bizarre air pressure due to the wind storm, etc. that exposed a weakness or flaw in the glass.

We called our Ford dealer as we were heading home, and they sounded just as surprised as us. Our service tech assured us it would be covered under warranty. We'll see if he still says that when we go in this morning.

Here is a picture of the damage: http://oi40.tinypic.com/oqkivm.jpg

We also have video of it happening, as I just happened to be filming the crazy tumbleweeds racing across the highway. You don't see the explosion, but you sure hear it, and our subsequent reaction!
  • hozedbyfordhozedbyford Member Posts: 1
    Exact same thing happened to me on my 2013 F250 King Ranch with 7,000 miles on it merging onto an interstate with no other cars around. All details nearly identical. I told ten or so friends about it and uncovered two other fords that it happened to when they were less and a year old. I brought all of this to Ford's attention, through all of there layers and was stonewalled. Any company can experience a defect, but it is all in how they handle it...Ford's policy is to run and hide. I am so angry that I am filing the same complaints you are. Additionally, I have purchased the URLs dontbuyaford.com and hozedbyford.com and plan to consolidate all of these different threads from across the internet into one spot that will hopefully expose this company for what they are.
    I had the same thing happen with Toyota. I took them to arbitration and won. Do the same. Follow the procedure in your Ford owner manual to start the process. Don't have your insurance pay for it.
  • opt1opt1 Member Posts: 1
    I just had my Nissan Juke moonroof shatter. Unfortunately I was not in the car. I got in the car in the morning after a change in from warm to overnight cool weather (15-19 degree low). when I opened the slide cover, the entire glass was starred and bulging upward. Nissan dealership has "never heard of such a thing" to spontaneously occur. According to so many of the same occurrences, I beg to differ. Hopefully we can get some funds back, as it was almost 900.00 for the window/roof and an extra charge for labor so they could get the glass pieces from in-between the actual roof of the car. Sucks. But we will pursue the issue. Just got my car in May of this year :(
  • bhertz300bhertz300 Member Posts: 1
    Friday Nov. 8 I was going to a fast food drive through, my vent was opened so I decided to close it and the entire glass shattered! I thought how strange so I made a comment to the people at the drive up window, and they looked and made some comments. I decided to close the visor! I called the dealership and they had an opening on Tuesday the 12th I said OK and hung up. It was OK until I got out of the car and shut the door, then the middle of the glass fell into the car and onto the visor ( thank god I closed it)! I called the dealership back and he told me to drop it off tomorrow and they would give me a car to use. The asst. mgr called me on Monday the 11 and asked what happened and I told him. The next day the asst. mgr called me back and said that they found a problem, it was a piece of paper that I wrote directions on 2 weeks prior that I use to put an address into the GPS. I was like what, a piece of paper?? So my questions started, and then I decided to go to the dealership to have them show me how the paper was. I didn't want to call them a liar, I did everything but. I told them I do not see how a piece of paper that was in the cubby in front of the shift level: flew up, past my head, folded up into a little square, got stuck in the closing mechanism for the vent and shattered the glass. I told them that that piece of paper was only folder in half once and then again in half, put into my pocket to program the GPS in the car. I said there is no way that piece of paper flew past my head at some point, folded 2 more times (basically the paper was folded in 16ths when they showed it to me / 1.5 inch by 1.5 inch) and got stuck in the mechanism, nor my wife or I ever saw it lodged when we looked up and it wasn't showing from outside of the car. No friggin way!! I told them again that I only folder that piece of paper twice, not 4 times, and I didn't see how it folder 2 more time in the mechanism! My feeling is for some reason Chrysler doesn't want to cover it and took that piece of paper folder it 2 more times and show it to me. There is NO logic to me that that could ever happen the way they explained it, and me or my wife never seeing the paper when we looked up. It has been cold in the Northeast so the windows have not been open in the car just the vent on occasions. This makes NO sense at all! I feel the glass was defective, but I cannot understand why when my car is under warranty they do not want to cover it! Absolutely ridiculous!!
    Remember to file a complaint with the NHTSA. I not only filed a complaint, but called them as well.
    Wow. That has to be the most bizarre "blame" story I've seen in this discussion. There are a lot of instances of dealership service personnel blaming the incident on the owner dropping something on the sunroof, or something spontaneously falling from the sky onto the sunroof, but this is definitely the first "magic paper" excuse I've seen!

It's a shame that either service personnel are blaming it on an outside force, or don't know about potential defects in glass.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR