Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Azera Tires and Wheels

Comments

• hjc1hjc1 Member Posts: 183
    I'm located in central Wisconsin.... Walmart will rotate the tires for $1.50 ea tire
    Yah I know it's Walmart but they do a good job. They hand torque the wheel lug nuts then test drive the car doing several figure 8's then recheck the torque for correct value. A great value for 6 bucks :=)
    They also give you a print out the showing the depth of thread of each tire so you can compare how the tires are doing since the last rotation
  • shagnatshagnat Member Posts: 78
    hic1, thanks! I wasn't aware of that. I've been paying my dealer $34.95/rotation. Although I drive very little these days, it's nice to know I can save $29 on a tire rotation. Much appreciated.
    Does anyone else have an Azera and can feel every stinking expansion joint in the interstate? I took my first short jaunt on the interstate today, all 70 miles of it, and I could feel every stinking joint in the road. I mean even the tiniest ones. I was particularly attuned to this as I wanted to feel what my Azera drove like on the open interstate. After 10 mins. my hands were feeling like I had been hitting frozen golf balls in Antartica with steel shafts that were 2x too stiff.
    I'm sorely disappointed in the ride quality of this car. BTW, I put new tires on just a few weeks ago and it seems to have made no difference in ride quality. Yes, they handle much better, etc. but, did not make bumps any less irritating.
    Just wondering if any of the rest of you have this issue...............
    I don't do the 3K oil changes anymore. I bought a new 2003 Highlander which recommends 7.5K oil changes and all has worked out well. Besides, I use all synthetic oil and sure as heck ain't gonna' pay for an oil change every 3K miles.
    I'm pretty sure the oil companies or some "quickie lube" company came up with that number and it's been a marketing success for them and anyone who changes oil for a living. The "gotcha" comes in on finding all your filters being dirty, tires needing some sort of service, brakes need replacing, alignment needing to be done, etc.
    I will change my synthetic oil ~6K or so, just because I don't drive very much anymore. I'm sure with the cleanliness of gasoline and the improvement in oils that 6K OCI will work just fine for me and my Azera as well as the Toyota.
    But, to each his own and as always YMMV.
  • cobrazeracobrazera Member Posts: 352
    I don't know where you live, but in colder weather, oils are thicker - and that includes the oil in your shock absorbers. That could be one source of the particularly rough ride, but check your tire pressure also.

You stated that your new tires handle better, maybe that's due to the pressure being a bit high. Tires are different, and some tires have stiffer sidewalls than others - point being that Hyundai's recommended tire pressure with the original equipment Michelins may not be the optimum pressure with a different branded replacement. I have found that just a few pounds of pressure can make a huge difference in the car's ability to absorb small, sharp jolts such as expansion strips.

The tires on the Azera are so big, too, that there's a lot of excess load capacity - hence I wouldn't hesitate to try a pressure a couple pounds less than the recommended 30PSI ( in the winter months ) if ride is your highest priority.

Richard
  • gamlegedgamleged Member Posts: 442
    When I drove away from the dealer and took the interstate back home I was also disappointed in the overly-sensitive "road feel." Then at home, I lowered the 42PSI they had set me up with, down to 34PSI and was happy!...
    I live in the sunny/warm south....... of course we've had particularly cold weather this winter and as you say, could be the reason for the (un)smooth ride. However, I'm not convienced. My 2003 Highlander rides much much better than the Azera.
    Regarding airpressure, I talked with Hyundai and Continental and both said to use the auto manufacturer's recommendation for tire pressure.
    Although I agree with your synopsis that what's good pressure for one tire, should not indicate what's good pressure for another. BUT, they both say so, and that's the way I'm going.
    I checked the pressure and they're all at 31, I think that'll just have to do. *sigh*
  • bmb1767bmb1767 Member Posts: 64
    I am looking to replace the Michelin's on my Azera limited. Looked at the survey mentioned several posts ago about different tires. Am looking at BF Goodrich Advantage TA tire. Anyone had experience with these tires? What would you recommend?
  • manoharmanohar Member Posts: 12
    I would advise against these tires; 2 winters ago I put these on my 2007 Azera and found the car to be not stable in the Cleveland snow. Switching to Michelins solved the problem.

I still have the Goodrich tires (2 of them) with 5000 miles on them. You are welcome to come by, take them and try them if you are not too far form Cleveland. You can have them for free.
    Thanks for the feedback. I decided to wait since the OEM Michelin's aren't bothering me right now like others. I live in NC and normally would say we do not get a lot of snow, but can't after this Winter.
  • allmet33allmet33 Member Posts: 3,557
    Take a look at the General Altimax HP's. I've replaced my OEM tires with a set and have been extremely pleased. Much quieter tire, better ride and overall improved performance & handling. There's a couple other posters that have switched to the Altimax HP's...one has around 3k miles on his, another is about to get his mounted and installed. You can find them for around $100/tire....TireRack.com sells them for $109/ea.

Good luck with your search.
    Thanks. I will look into them. Price beats the $139 for the BFGoodrich.
    Someone posted earlier that they found the Altimax HP's at Tread Depot for 100/ea and they got a $25 gift card back to boot.
  • SilverBullet00SilverBullet00 Member Posts: 102
    Hi allmet33, I'm the one who got the Altimax HP's from Treadepot.com. Ordered Feb 25th, received Mar 1, and installed today. Had them installed along with alignment by my dealer. At first I thought I got into the wrong car after driving a couple miles, haven't had the Azera this quiet for the past six months and all the driving today has been in the rain and wet roads. Why did I wait so long to get rid of them miserable OEM Michelins??? Making 575 mile round trip on Friday and will give another update later this week :):)
  • 101649101649 Member Posts: 192
    I think the $25 discount ended 2/28/10 ....
    I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed the same results I did when I got mine installed. Personally, the way the tires perform I'm not mad that I missed out on the $25 rebate thru Tread Depot. It's definitely been one of the best $540 I've spent on a car. When I wear my first set of Altimax HP's out...I plan on replacing with the same thing.

Look forward to your next update!!! :shades:
    Discount still applies but tires went up $2.00 apiece. Total $383.00 for four tires.
    I checked Treadepot.com. When I looked up tires by vehicle time, the General Altimax HP does come up. Help!
    Don't really understand your request for Help? What is it you want to know?? :confuse: :confuse:
  • rminorrminor Member Posts: 40
    I had the HydroEdge tires installed today at Costco. They were rated the best all season tire by consumer reports. $670 otd with a road hazard warranty. 90000 mile tread wear warranty. Very smooth and quiet on the 40 mile trip back home. I keep you posted how they do.
    Sorry....I meant to say does NOT show up.
    I went to the website and gave it a shot...when you select Limited as body style, the Altimax comes up 2nd, if you select SE as the body style...it's 5th.

Not sure what you're doing when you input the data. The box marked "Start Here", I chose 'Tires', then my search type was 'By vehicle', my vehicle year is '2006', vehicle make 'Hyundai' and my model is 'Azera'. After clicking "GO", the next screen asks for body style and I selected 'Limited'...clicked on "Continue", selected the approriate tire size (didn't matter which one) and then clicked on "View Tires". General Altimax HP was 2nd in the list.
  • nailahreneenailahrenee Member Posts: 7
    I recently (about 3-4 months) bought the Generals for my 06' Azera Limited. They're GREAT. Trust me I was very skeptical and very confused but went with the reviews here and the ones from Tire Rack and got a great deal. Trust me they're better traction and low noise. If you get them you'll be happy with them I drive in North Jersey and these roads are horrible at time so yeah. :shades:
    A little off the subject, but in Tampa, if you "carry in" tires to a shop for mounting and balancing, you get burned...Most want $40-$50/tire to do the work...Wally World is reasonable, but if you change size or speed rating other than what's on the door post, they won't touch them...liability...
    You are right, some places will burn you. Look around though, find a gas station that does it and you may be able to get it done for less. Around here, most places wanted around $30/tire to mount & balance my tires. I found a gas station and they did it for $15/tire.
  • 54gradsteds54gradsteds Member Posts: 102
    Excuse me, please, If this appears redundant, but I haven't been following these discussions for some time....I have a '96 Azera Limited, with an embarrassingly low 15,000 miles on the odometer. From day one, I have noticed a "thump, thump, thump" -type feel after initial start-up, which continues for a few miles, then seems to disappear. In addition, these are quite NOISY tires ! I have used Michelins for years, and have never complained about them until now. Am I just imagining this? When I had a conversation with a neighborhood mechanic the other day, he suggested than the country in which they were actually manufactured might have some bearing on the problem.. My '95 Avalon's tires were made in Italy ( no bump or objectionable noise) -- the Azera's were made in Japan...I can't imagine that I'm the only owner of these tires who experiences the thumping and noise... Anybody have any idea what might cause this? Thanks--Phil
  • wobbly_earswobbly_ears Member Posts: 160
    edited March 2010
    Phil,

Welcome to the forum. The Michelins you have on your 06 are considered as junk by a majority of posters here. Also, probably you don't drive your Azera everyday & that creates flat-spots on the tires. The Michelins that come OEM on our Azeras are known for developing flatspots, are extremely noisy & ride not all that good.

Your only option would be to either get used to it or change to a better set of tires. Many have had a lot of good things to say about how Azeras ride after they got rid of their OEM Michelins.
    Considering your car is 4 years old with only 15K miles on it...you don't drive it that often. One thing that has been found about the OEM Michelins is that flat spots are created when the car sits. I experienced this one time when I went out of town for a week and came back. When I got in the car I thought something was wrong, but as I got down the highway...it smoothed out.

I have since switched tire brands (General Altimax HP's) and haven't experienced the problem. My car sat for almost 2 weeks during our huge snow storm and when I finally did drive it, no flat spot noise from the tires at all.
  • rminorrminor Member Posts: 40
    As I said, I bought my HydroEdge tires at Costco in Brandon, FL. They're T speed rating but Costco had no problem installing them. They just told me they might handle a little different and be sure not to exceed the 118 mph rating. No problem for me.
  • 54gradsteds54gradsteds Member Posts: 102
    Thanks, Wobbly Ears and Allmet33 for your responses and advice...Phil
    WalMart corp policy is to install only tires specified for the care per the info on the door post...again liability issues.....Evidently, Costco does not have the same policy.
    Info on my door post only specifies size and air pressure. I was going to have my local Wal-Mart special order the General Altimax HP's but I ended up getting them from Treadepot.com cheaper including shipping. They never mentioned anything about a Wal-Mart policy and liability issues. I'm sure you could sign a statement relieving them of any liability issues.
    Update on my Altimax HP' s. Thanks to a recommendation from allmet33 I had the General Altimax HP's replace the lousy Michelins which at 31K got to loud to listen to.
    Took a 600 mile round trip yesterday and I must say I am very pleased with the tires, very quiet and hold the road pretty good, since I drove from Kodak, TN to Fort Campbell and back on US 40 at 80-85 MPH and never slid off the road one time. ;);) Didn't notice any floating or suspension problems, just a smooth quiet ride and managed to get 25.4 MPG overall. :):)
    You are correct....I tried to carry in a set of 4 tires (a litttle wider and a small difference in the profile) for my Santa Fe and they refused to mount and balance them...You were probably replacing the same size that was on your Azera...No release was offered...Ithink that the big deal over the Firestone and Explorer incidents really raised awareness with the tire manufactuers and installers, even though it was not a change in size issue..
    I had my Hyundai dealer put on my Altimax HP's and they only charged $15 per tire and I thought they would be the highest, guess not. Also got a wheel alignment at the same time for $69.
  • hc106hc106 Member Posts: 10
    On June 21, 2009, I posted the following:
    "I have a 2007 Hyundai Azera Limited with 25,000 miles on it, and looks like it will be a while longer before I have to replace the Michelins that came on it, but when I do, they will be Goodyear Assurance Tripletreds ."

Well, at 28,000 miles my wife picked up a nail and ran on the tire after it went flat long enough to break down the sidewall. I was going to have to buy a new tire, so used this as an excuse to go ahead and buy a set of Goodyear Assurance TripleTreds.

I immediately noticed an improvement in the handling and response of the vehicle with the TripleTreds, and a reduction in "sway" when making turns. We now have 33,500 miles on the odometer, (5,500 on the tires). I had read somewhere that my gas mileage might decrease a mpg or two due to the difference in "rolling resistance" between the Goodyears and the Michelins. However, we have actually noticed an increase in gas mileage, from 24.4 to 25.4 with the new tires. Tread wear is negligable , and traction is great.

:) I love my Azera and Goodyear Tripletreds! :)
    Has anyone installed Hankook Optimo's or Ventus HR II tires on their Azera??? Appreciate feedback.
    I'm very curious about the Tripletreads....... what is the speed rating on these tires?
    101649...I had some Hankook Ventus tires on my aftermarket wheels when I had my '02 Sonata. They were a really good tire...quiet, smooth, responsive and performed great in wet or dry conditions. That was a low profile model (45 series). I can imagine the 55 series tires that the Azera rides on would be much more comfortable while still offering great handling, performance and ride noise.
  • gamlegedgamleged Member Posts: 442
    The Bridgestone Turanza Serenity has been favorably mentioned by several people and I note that this tire is one of the three listed "Best all season tires" in the current Consumer's Reports (April 2010) for performance V-speed rated tires, so I'll likely get a set of these IF my OEM's wear down enough while this tire is still being sold!...
  • wobbly_earswobbly_ears Member Posts: 160
    Then you may have to wait a looong time for the Michelins to wear out. These OEM Michelins seem to be made of concrete! (And they ride like them too, ugh!)

Were I not such a cheapskate, I would have replaced my OEM Michelins a long time ago!
  • 29tomt29tomt Member Posts: 12
    After 30K miles, I could not stand the road noise anymore and replaced the Michelin tires with Goodyear and again i am a happy camper. This is a 2007 Azera. My grief started earlier when the tires were rotated in the x format.
    I'm starting to believe that anyone would be happier with the tire performance on their Azera's no matter what they replaced the OEM Michelins with (except with other Michelins). LOL
  • jaymagicjaymagic Member Posts: 309
    And they are all cheaper than the Michelins. I have been very happy with my Goodyear Eagle GT's. W rated and very nice for handling and grip wet or dry.

I do get the opportunity to occasionally see triple digits so, I like having a higher speed rating. Pushing about 80K miles now on my 07 Limited. Did just have a fog light burn out that I need replaced, otherwise doing well.
    Thanks to a allmet33 suggestion I replaced my Michelins with the General Altimax HP's. Michelins were two years old with 31K on them, but they had plenty of noisy miles left on them. What a world of difference, can't believe I'm driving the same car, life is to short to put up with noisy tires, well worth the $500 to change the tires and drive a quiet car. Thanks again, allmet33. :):)
    Just glad I could offer advice and have it pay off for someone else. Happy motoring my friend! :shades:
    Did the dealer "burn" you to replace the light??? or was it a DIY??? The housing is rather hard to access for bulb replacement...
    I would think the charge to replace the bulb would be under $100 (bulb & labor). However, you can save money by purchasing a bulb online and installing it yourself.

I managed to figure out how to do it when I changed my OEM bulbs to the Euro yellow bulbs. If you're working on the driver's side, turn the wheels to the right to expose the front portion of the wheel well shroud. Then, you'll have to work the fasteners of the shroud loose to allow you access behind it. Once you do that, you can reach your arm in and reach the back of the fog light and twist out the harness with the bulb. Twist the new bulb in place and re-attach the harness to the new bulb.

At first, it seems very awkward, but once you figure everything out...it's really quite simple. It also took me about 30-45 mins. the first time I did it, but after that it got really easy and took maybe 5 mins. to change a bulb. Good luck!!!
  • azgrandazgrand Member Posts: 50
    If you're looking for a relatively inexpensive way to dress up your Azera wheels, I bought some chrome wheel covers from Korean Auto Imports. They were shipped to me directly from South Korea, and are chromed ABS plastic. The fit right over your factory 17" wheels. While they're obviously not as good as an aftermarket set of wheels, they do look pretty good considering the price (less than $300). I'll wait and see how they hold up over time. I hope my wife is very careful around curbs!

Here's a few pictures:

Pic 1
    Pic 2
    Pic 3
    Hi azgrand, I'm glad to see that someone tried the wheel covers, I think they look great and alot cheaper than buying chrome rims, keep us advised on how they hold up. Does the lug nuts hold them on? :)