Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Land Rover LR2 Lease Questions

Comments

• ajnickolaiajnickolai Member Posts: 5
    I just saw the LandRover site posted new lease specials on the LR2. Looks like $2995 down, $373/month, 10,500 miles. I am assuming the basic model. Does anyone know the money factor or residual on this? Has anyone rec'd this offer? Is this a good deal?
  • muddyymuddyy Member Posts: 60
    Yeah, I just saw this also but I'm not sure it's such a good thing. From what I've been hearing it only applys to left over SE models without any upgrades like lighting and NAV and cold weather packages, so if you get any of those the lease price goes way up.

In addition, there is a vibe going out that there are not a lot of SE's available and you can't order certain color combinations, it's leftovers only in preparation for the HSE's which will sell at a premium price and offer no lease incentives (at least there are none on the LR site). I think it's possible that the lease on a 42K (loaded) HSE may be over $700/month.

But that being said I'm not sure I believe anyone right now, LR is always slow to give details. It may be possible to get an SE of your choice now with that lease price. I suspect it's just temporary and applies to leftovers because of one simple fact: how can the dealers handle the anger from people who are leasing the same car for $550 a month right now when they see that new lease price?
  • schottschott Member Posts: 4
    I spoke to a finance guy with a local Landrover dealer about the lease special on the LR2. He said the rate for an SE without Navigation was 1.1% and 1.9% with Nav. The residual was about 69% and 67%, respectively. He claimed he could give me a price $1K over cost. With the special of $2,995 down (actually $3,500 with taxes/fees) and a 36 mo. lease the payments were about $380/mo without Nav and $480 with Nav. Note: these figures will vary depending up your taxes, options, etc.

I questioned the additional $100 more for NAV, but he claimed it was because of the higher rate and lower residual. For an X3 the Nav is only $40/mo more - but the Nav cost is about $1K less. Still, the SE with NAV is much more.

Re: rates on the HSE, he mentioned they were around 4.6%? From what I've heard, many of the new HSE's coming in at first will not have Nav to keep the price and payments down.
  • british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    I think it's possible that the lease on a 42K (loaded) HSE may be over $700/month.

The first HSE LR2 lease I did came out at almost 900 bucks a month. I almost choked on my tea.
  • stonefoxxstonefoxx Member Posts: 14
    search for my old post- I drive the LR2 loaded- It's a great ride- My payments are 460 a month with 3900.00 down with inculded tax/title/ and 1st month payment.
  • jeyhoejeyhoe Member Posts: 490
    Geez, $3600 over 3 years for the Nav? THat's a great argument for a Garmin or a TomTom.
    Its not just nav though. You get bluetooth phone, SAT radio and the upgraded surround sound system too.
    What's the lowest lease price on a loaded 08 SE with cold, lighting and NAV/tech (39,950), and where can you get it, dealer or internet? I've seen 2,900 down and 550/month, with 10,500/miles per year, 30 months. Is there any way to get a better lease price? Thanks.
  • rob34rob34 Member Posts: 58
    I drive a loaded X3 and put the minimum down and pay $539 a month including tax so I an having a hard time stomaching these lease rates on the LR2 in Seattle area. My wife really wants an LR2. She wants an HSE Silver, Cold Climate, and Lighting. No Tech because the stereo is meaningless to her so $3500 for Nav is too much.

We want a lease that offers the lowest possible monthly payment with the minimum down. The best I have been quoted so far for minimum down after talking to 2 dealers is:

10,500 miles
    24 month term
    $615.00 per month inc. tax
    Money Factor: .0027
    Residual: .69
    Down payment: Just over $1000 including first month I think. Can't remember exact figure.
    MSRP is 37,900 and they have not lowered that yet. They say since they don't have the car and I may have to factory order that they don't come down off the MSRP. My wife wants the Pixel interior but can accept the wood if she has to.

This is a US Bank lease.

I also asked what the up front money would be to make the payment $450 per month including tax because that is her current payment on her A4. They said $5600.

I am going to put a deal together this weekend and would like to be armed with some advice. Can I please get some feedback on both deals above? Still seems very high to me.

Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving.
    Hey Rob,
    I'm also coming off of an X3 lease and considering leasing an LR2. Strongly consider getting an SE instead of the HSE, because the lease programs are much better for the SE.

I've been given a deal of $400/mo incl. taxes for a 24 or 30 mo. lease (only $6 difference) with $3K down for an LR2 SE with heated seats and 10.5K/yr, but no light backage. My cap cost is $500 over invoice.

You'll probably pay over $100/mo more for the HSE to obtain some minor changes to the wheels, a new lower body trim, additional seat adjustments, a small cover on the console ... Other than that, there is no change to the engine and the SE and HSE are pretty much identical. Also, any options seem to require nearly full amortization over the term of your lease and jack up the monthly payment. So, you want to consider eliminating the lighting package if you don't need it - and an SE instead of the HSE.

Good luck.
  • koberrykoberry Member Posts: 28
    I'm coming out of a lease on an RX330 and have driven pretty much everything in market, from the pilot to the Mercedes. The LR2 seems like a nice car, though I'm a bit concerned about what the service experience might be like w/ Landrover, compared to Lexus.

I drove the LR2 last night in Cary, NC. The dealer basically offered a deal at invoice within just a few minutes of talking - I assume the market must be terribly slow here... I would really like any help w/ the money factor and residuals for a LR2 SE + cold climate and lighting - no tech...

- 15k miles/year
    - 24 & 36 months

Other posts have referenced a 69% residual for 36 mo & 10.5 mi/yr, so I'm assuming a 15k residual will be somewhere around 65% - would really appreciate some confirmation of all.

I'm expecting payment will fall somewhere around $450 including tax, which makes this a pretty compelling buy, compared to the RDX and X3 - agree?

Thanks,

Ken
    Hi Ken,
    In some areas of the country there seems to be more inventory of the LR2 SE than others. Apparently, they are no longer shipping the SE to dealers, only the HSE. So, if you want certain options and colors, it will probably be more challenging the longer you wait. The best deal I could find was $500 over invoice in LA. Even though your dealer may be able to give you a deal near invoice with what he has on his lot, be sure he may not be adding some additional fees. And, if he needs to find the options and color you want than different thnt what he has, you may need to spend a bit more - if he can get it.

I believe the 12K lease was about $15/mo more than the 10.5K lease for 30 mos. I have for $410/mo incl. all taxes & fees with a total of $3k down. Obviously, the amount you put down will vary your monthly payment. I believe the heated seats added about $20/mo and the lighting would add over $30/mo. So, when you add your options and additional miles, it would probably be about $100/mo more than for a base unit with no options. If you can get your deal for under $475/mo it would seem to be a pretty good deal. If you exclude the lighting option, you could probably get a deal around $450.

With regards to the lease term, the monthly is only a few dollars more for a 30/mo than a 24/mo, but the 36/mo lease jumps up quite a bit for the special SE financing. So, you may want to do 30/mo instead of 36/mo to get the best deal.

In LA, there are very few 2008 X3's available, and as a result, the lease deals are not very attractive. A similar deal with my preferred customer status was over $500/mo. for the X3. The only good thing, is that adding Nav is only about $25/mo more and the luxury package includes blue tooth and Sirus for 3mos. free. So, the X3 with tech is actually about the same as the LR2. The RDX may have a better deal than the X3, but it's the worst of the three to go off road and it's interior is inferior, in my view. The tech stuff in the RDX is the most advanced in just about any vehicle I've seen, but they made it more complicated to use than it should be.

Good Luck.
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi Ken. Dealer invoice is a very good price for a lease of a 2008 Land Rover LR2. Now that you have negotiated a good selling price, all you have to do is make sure that the dealer that you are working with uses its buy rate lease money factor to calculate its monthly payment. According to the latest information that I have seen, Land Rover Capital Group's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 24 month lease of a 2008 Land Rover LR2 SE without the Tech package with 15,000 miles per year are .00119 and 66%, respectively. The numbers for an otherwise identical 36 month lease are .00213 and 53%.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
    Heard from Land Rover direct today that the SE is a phase out, not to return. HSE's only from now on. Get a deal on the lot with an SE now or it's back to super high lease prices on the HSE.
  • bmwryanbmwryan Member Posts: 1
    Hey everyone, new to the forums but have found them to be of immense value.

I test drove an LR2 HSE last weekend with the wife and we both really liked it. I've heard the best time to buy a car is at the end of the month, so I plan to lease this one Friday if I can get a good deal.

My questions are:

-What would be a good lease deal in Los Angeles? I’d like an HSE in Stornoway Grey with all the options, but would consider an SE if the deal makes sense. Ideally I’d like 12K miles (10.5K would work if the rates are better) and a 30 month lease (24 would also work).
    - What are the current money factors and residuals for an HSE and SE with all of the options? I’d really like to have navi and cold weather packages, but should I exclude the lighting package to get a better deal?
    -And lastly, should I wait until next month, or is now the right time to buy?

Thanks for the feedback,

Ryan
    Ryan, in NY, the price of an SE loaded, 3 packages is 39,950. I got them down to 35,000. Lease deal was:

Price: 3 packages 35,000
    Term: 30 months
    Milage: 12,000
    Down: 2,600 (which was minimum)
    Monthly: 550

If we took off tech/nav it was 450/month

I didn't ask about the lease on HSE, though they did say there was no incentive and no discount on HSE. I have heard the lease for HSE is over 800/month, though I find that hard to believe.
  • buckeye777buckeye777 Member Posts: 5
    2008 LR2 HSE, Rimini Red / Alpaca Tan leather: $38,700.

12,000 miles per year; 24-month lease; $1300 down / due at signing.

Residual value: 68% ($26,316.); money factor rate .00320

Monthly payment: $798.64

What do you think? :cry:
  • dbarton7dbarton7 Member Posts: 20
    Hello.

We really like the SE and want to make a deal before year-end.

Here is the deal we were offered on a 2008 SE with cold climate package only (i.e. no NAV and no lighting_

MSRP: 35,400
    Sale Price 33,400
    LEV% 69%
    Lease-end value 24,426
    MF .00134
    Amount Due at signing $1,514.68
    Monthly payment: 484.53

This is a 24 month lease with 10,500 miles per year.

Is this a good deal?

Based on what I have read here they should be able to come down more on the price (ie closer to $30K which I think is invoice).

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks
  • buckeye777buckeye777 Member Posts: 5
    Sounds like a steal compared to the deal I was given.

The best deal I thought was SE no nav for 499 mo for 24 months no money down 10,500 per year.
  • jcmanhattanjcmanhattan Member Posts: 7
    Man, they are giving these things away....get the SE's while they are gone.

$500 out of pocket/drive off
    $405/month (including taxes)
    30 month, 10.5K miles/year

White Ext/black interior, no options (stripped). I head there are only a few of these stripped models in S Cali.

Loving this car so far, except gas mileage and Land Rover reliability (hopefully they fixed that with this car). There are other quirky things - no cover for sunroof, no cover for center console cubby, key/fob situation (double work), have to push radio buttons on steering wheel hard to change, etc.

Loving the luxury feel, safety and hopefully taking it off-roading during some Land Rover excursions
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    You mean there is no interior sunshade for the sunroof? Weird..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• jcmanhattanjcmanhattan Member Posts: 7
    There is sliding mesh UV screen which is very cool when the sunroof is open, but I dont consider that a full cover. These covers reduce sound and also block out COMPLETE light. With this mesh screen, there will still be some glare/light and noise.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    I think the MINI has that same sort of mesh shade for their monster-sized sunroof..

You might have heat issues on 90+ degree days, I would think....

Good deal, though..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

I never had problems with my MINI and the mesh sunroof and I was living in Virginia at the time. The only thing that got too hot was the metal top of the gear shift and that would have happened on any car. I also think that the same sunroof or at the very least a very similar sunroof is used on both the LR2 and the MINI.
    Welcome Ryan. I'm glad that you've found the forums to be so helpful. The money factors for leases with 12,000 miles per year and 10,500 miles per year are exactly the same. The 10,500 mile lease will have a slightly lower monthly payment though because it will have a higher residual value. Through January 7th, Land Rover Capital Group's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 24 month lease of a 2008 Land Rover LR2 HSE are .00270 and 68%, respectively.

I am not personally all that familiar with what dealers are willing to sell the LR2 for right now, but if I was in the market for one in a competitive market like Los Angeles I personally would shoot for a selling price of around $500 over dealer invoice.

Car_man
    Host
  • seaguyseaguy Member Posts: 2
    I just saw the new promo ad on the LR website for a LR2 HSE. Here are the details but they don't mention any options:

MSRP : $36,850
    Residual: $25,058
    Due at signing: $3,900 + $1,500 from LCG
    10,500/yr
    24 month term

I was just told by a LR salesman that the MSRP doesn't really matter if you're doing a lease but from reading the posts here it seems like negotiating a lower price really does affect lease payment.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    This looks like a good deal. I was offered an HSE base model with only the blue tooth and Sat. radio ( you can get this option without the full tech package on the HSE). $2000 down. $480/month. 24 months. 10,500/year. Includes tax. I don't think the tech package for $3500 is worth it. I am in S. Calif. My only thought is waiting to see what they do with the 2009's. I hesitate to buy a new car on the first year out as it seems changes happen after that first year. Has anyone heard of new options coming out?
  • tomatosaenztomatosaenz Member Posts: 29
    I too am interested in leasing an LR2 here in Los Angeles. The nationally advertised $399/month, 24 month, 10,500 miles/year deal you mentioned is attractive, however, I would prefer a 36 month term allowing 15,000 miles/year, plus the $3,500 tech package, in Narvik Black. I would greatly appreciate any advice. If anyone has any idea as to how much extra I should expect to pay per month for such a vehicle, which dealership is best (Encino, Hornburg, or Thousand Oaks), other relevant info, etc., please let me know.
    I can't say for sure but I have heard the tech package jumps lease prices up $100/month as the $3500 gets amortized over the lease term. Also adding black color is an extra $400 dollars and with the higher mileage, I am thinking you will likely be near $550+/month. I would rather get a Tom Tom for $500 and be able to take it with me when I turn the lease in.
    Hi seaguy. The MSRP and selling price of the vehicle that you want to lease absolutely do matter. The selling prices of leased vehicles are negotiable, just as if you were paying cash for or financing them. Without knowing what the selling price of the truck that you are interested in is, you don't know how much of a dealer discount you are being given on it. Furthermore, you can use these prices, in conjunction with Land Rover's current lease program, to estimate what your truck's monthly payment should be.

Also, when negotiating your lease on the LR2 that you are interested in, keep in mind that Land Rover is currently providing $1,500 lease cash on this model. I would not be surprised if you were able to negotiate a selling price that is below dealer invoice after taking advantage of this cash. You can look up the exact invoice price of the truck that you want by visiting the New Vehicle Pricing section of Edmunds.com.

Car_man
    Host
    Hey tomatosaenz. Let's work up a sample lease payment on the exact lease that you are interested in and see what we come up with. The MSRP of a 2008 Land Rover LR2 HSE with the Technology Package is $39,650. Its dealer invoice price is $36,151. subtract the $1,500 lease cash from that and add $1,000 for the dealer and we arrive at a capitalized cost of around $35,651. According to my calculations, if you were to lease a 2008 LR2 HSE that has an MSRP of $39,650 and a selling price of $35,651 through Land Rover Capital Group right now for 36 months with 15,000 miles per year, your zero down, pre-tax monthly payment would be around $590.

Car_man
    Host
  • tomatosaenztomatosaenz Member Posts: 29
    Wow, thank you for your insights to both Car_man and ajnikolai. From what I'm seeing, leasing a loaded LR2 with those terms just doesn't add up. So it's back to the drawing board for me. I really liked the vehicle, but I don't do much off-roading here in LA, so perhaps the Lexus RX350 is better suited for me, especially since they are really dealing on them at this time. Either that, or I'll keep my '99 Explorer with 140,000 miles for as long as it can run.
    I hadn't really thought about the Lexus. What kinds of deals are you seeing in LA?
  • mrj0001tjmrj0001tj Member Posts: 6
    Car man, I just looked at a 2008 LR2 SE, brand new with no miles. Dealer said he would only sell it to me at his invoice which he states was $34,300. Per Edmunds dealer invoice is supposed to be $33,598 AND it also says there is a $3000 manufacturer to dealer rebate which he is not even offering me. What gives???
  • birdman17birdman17 Member Posts: 10
    I just leased an '08 LR2 this week with the 3-pack:
    1. Cold Climate
    2. Lighting
    3. Technology

MSRP 39950
    Sale Price 35704

I put $3k down (which included titles tags taxes and first month's payment). $485/month for 24 months with 12,oo miles a year.

I am very pleased at the number I am paying given the fact that the first offer was for well in the mid $500/month range.

One caveat, I had to have the car serviced yesterday because the key pod was not recognized in the slot. they said it was an electronic malfunction but that shouldn't happen on a new car. Has anyone else had this problem? Is it common?
    Wow, that is a great number. What state are you in?
  • birdman17birdman17 Member Posts: 10
    i am in PA. I waited until the end of the month to start negotiating and then I walked away a few times...on the January 31st the dealership called me and told me "Good news, we were able to find some money for you and we can offer the car at 489/month."

I replied, "Oh, okay. If you can give it to me for $485 you have a deal and I will come in right now with the check and sign the papers."

The sales manager said come on in.

Looking back...I should have asked for the lower number but I feel I did a job negotiating the price to $485.
  • billegoat1billegoat1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi Everyone. I have been lurking on these boards and have picked up a lot of useful information from you guys. Thanks. I still have questions though and want some pointers to be sure I get a good deal.

I want an LR2 with the cold package. so one question I have is, when I do a lease, do I roll in the extra stuff I want like roof rails and racks etc and then negotiate the total price or do I negotiate the car + options and then pay extra at another time for the other stuff I want. The salesman I sat down with said that it would cost me less not to roll the rails etc into the lease, but buying it and then giving it to them at the end made no sense to me. Obviously I am a novice but want to learn. HELP.

I am in Southern California. Thanks
    Hi mrj0001tj. The dealer invoice pricing that is available at Edmunds.com is usually very accurate. The most likely explanation for the difference between the number that is listed here and what the dealer that you are working with told you is that they are adding some fees to this truck's base invoice price. The $3,000 dealer cash incentive that is currently available on the 2008 LR2 SE is not compatible with leases through Land Rover Capital Group, however Land Rover is providing a $1,500 dealer cash incentive that is. The dealer may be trying to pocket the $1,500.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi billegoat1. It would probably be easiest to negotiate the total price of the LR2 that you are interested in, including all of the options that you want, at the same time. You can look up the dealer invoice price of the exact truck that you are interested, including any dealer installed options, in right here at Edmunds.com. When negotiating your lease, make sure to take advantage of the $1,500 dealer cash incentive that Land Rover is currently providing on the '08 LR2.

Dealer installed options are a different animal. Banks often do not allow them to be rolled into vehicles' capitalized costs. As a result, if you want to lease a vehicle that has a dealer installed option you would have to pay for the entire cost of it over the life of the lease either by adding it into your monthly payment or just paying for it up front. This makes them much more expensive than factory installed options are. I personally try to avoid adding options that cannot be residualized to the vehicles that I lease.

Car_man
    Host
  • dcomberdcomber Member Posts: 27
    Hi,

Looking to purchase a LR2 HSE with Tech package in the Chicago area sometime in June and July. Just was wondering what the current pricing should be on one at this time, especially considering the fuel costs and economy. Also want to know what incentives LR is offering right now. Just looking to negotiate a good price on the car for a lease. I'm in a lease for a 2005 Honda Accord Coupe w/ Navi that is in good condition so wouldnt mind trading that in early to another dealer if need be.

Thanks for all your help.
  • bluesnycebluesnyce Member Posts: 1
    I got offer a fully loaded lr2 for 38,800 not including tax, license and dilivery charges...I want to lease but i'm not sure I got a good deal.
  • 19g8319g83 Member Posts: 4
    I have been shopping around the LA area for a fully loaded LR2. Searching these forums I saw that the Land Rover dealer in West Hollywood was a good place to go. Someone said that they were pretty straight forward and would sell for $350 above invoice.

When I spoke to a sales rep on the phone he told me they were in such demand he couldn't let it go for less than $1000 over invoice. His invoice price was $38,208 which is about $500 more than what Edmunds says a fully loaded Land Rover is.

When I asked about a lease he told me it would work out to $625/month for 24 months at 10,500 miles a year. Does this sound extremely high to anyone else?
  • sodasusodasu Member Posts: 1
    How about this deal?
    The Manager sent mail that,
    I have a 2008 LR2 HSE that I can do for $563 including tax with only $1100 out of pocket. I am selling the car for $250 over invoice plus $1500 rebate. Let me know your thoughts.

or one dealer sent a coupon that $399 w/o tax, 3650 down. for 2008 LR2 HSE. plus $1500 rebate.

Is this Good deal? both for 24 months at 10,500 miles a year.
    Hi, I just noticed the LR lease deal on the LR website, a LR2 HSE (36,150) 0 down, $499 per month, 48 months. That means you pay $23,952 in four years and then you give the car back to them. This deal means no lighting, no NAV and no cold climate. Isn't this a terrible deal? Is that really the only lease deal available at dealers in NY?

I imagine if you get it with 3 packages, which brings the price to $42,200, then the lease would be exponentially higher, very near the LR Sport which is only $799 per month. Is the LR2 really worth these prices?
  • lem8lem8 Member Posts: 1
    in nyc looking at new LR2 for 36 mth lease 12k miles 3300 down lease 600 monthly payment. is this in ball park? seems high to me
  • wakeforestwakeforest Member Posts: 1
    Hello Car_Man

Would you have the current money factor and residual on an LR2 SE for a 24 month lease

Local dealer is quoting 0.0039 and 58% for Land Rover Capital. This money factor seems to be very high since it equivalent to a 9.2% interest rate I believe !

Also do you have any info on the lease acquisition cost from LR Capital . Quoted fees are 795....

Thank you for your help !

Wake Forest
    Hi wakeforest. Land Rover's third quarter lease program is only scheduled to run through September 2nd. Through then, its buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 24 month lease of a 2008 LR2 SE with 15,000 miles per year are an unbelievably bad .00390 and 59%, respectively. Land Rover obviously doesn't want anyone to lease this truck through its captive finance company right now. Its base acquisition fee is $595, so the dealer is marking it up $200...but it doesn't matter anyhow because you can't lease this truck using such a terrible program.

Car_man
    Host
  • luvcarzluvcarz Member Posts: 1
    I was ready to lease a 2008 LR2 HSE and I certainly expected to pay for taxes and title and maybe even the first or last month's payment, but then the dealer said I'd have to pay almost $1000 for an acquisition fee and a handling fee. Isn't that just another way of saying "dealer profit?"

Can you negotiate out of either of these, or is everyone paying them?
    Hi luvcarz. The last time that I checked, Land Rover Capital Group charged a $595 acquisition fee on every vehicle that it leased. Anything above that (other than the destination charge, which is part of vehicles' prices) is basically nothing more than a way for the dealer that you are working with to add more profit to your deal. I suggest that you look at the total selling price that you were quoted for the LR2 that you want, including all fees. If you believe that this truck's total price is too high, you should either try to negotiate a lower price with this dealer or shop around with a few other dealers.

Car_man
    Host