Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Land Rover LR2 Lease Questions

124»

Comments

• jenp123jenp123 Member Posts: 39
    There hasn't been a post on this forum for over a year...my lease is coming up for my TL...I am all over the board on what I want next. How the lease rates right about now for a LR2, has it gotten better since last year when Car Man posted how bad it was? Anybody have any other options for some good lease deals....
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi jenp123. There's definitely a reason why no one has talked about leasing an LR2 in a year, its lease program still stinks. It's as if Land Rover doesn't want to lease them. If you're interested in leasing a Land Rover, you might want to consider going with an LR4. That model has lease support available on it right now.

If you really want to go with an LR2, take advantage of the $4,000 dealer cash that's currently available on the 2009 version or the $500 on the 2010 version and either pay cash for it or finance it through an independent bank. An alternative to that would be to finance an '09 model through Chase at 0% for 4 years or 0.9% for 5 years.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
  • 28shortstop28shortstop Member Posts: 6
    Any help appreciated for a 2009 LR2 with all three packages...is it worth playing Land Rover dealers against each other? Help me over this mid life crisis so I can go buy a Honda? What are people paying?
  • gregorpbgregorpb Member Posts: 2
    Maybe a silly question, but how do you get a 0% rate at Chase for 4 years?
  • westiethewillywestiethewilly Member Posts: 32
    For the last 2 questions. Buying is the only way if you want a LR2. the lease deal is a crime. They do not want that car back for what ever reason. If you have "A" credit ,than you can get 0% with Chase through the dealer for 4 years. I got a $ 41,800 for $ 37,000 and finance $ 36,000 with 0% with Chase for 4 years. I though that was a good deal. The car rides great and have zero problems with 1.5 k miles driven so far. The key is finding an 09' that u want at a dealer. It is getting late in the year and a lot of the fully equip one's are sold.

Hope this help
  • goatgirl26goatgirl26 Member Posts: 4
    I strongly advise anyone who is considering Leasing/Buying a Land Rover to seriously do your homework. I have owned a Land Rover since 2004 (bought new). I have had nothing but problems. Land Rover loves taking your money, but they do not stand by thier products or craftsmanship. Maybe it's just the dealer and service department in Sarasota, FL, but I doubt it. At the least, please take a look at the forums on LR2 problems, Freelander Problems, etc. Know what your getting into. Don't just think because they have a Land Rover name and a steep price tag that you get what you pay for.
  • britman4britman4 Member Posts: 27
    Sorry you got a bad one. My LR3 has been faultless gone 25k with no problems, just did a long drive at 18mpg and is outstanding in snow while everyone else is skidding into the ditch, including other 4x4. I've read about tire wear and I am still on my first set with loads of tread left.

My LR dealer is great, I bought out my lease at a great price.

All car forums will have problems because happy people rarely post.
  • newsguy2newsguy2 Member Posts: 1
    Just mentioning it, and I realize this may generate wide opinions:
    I'm coming to the end of a two year LR2 lease of a 2008. The LR2 started strong, and is finishing as the worst car I have ever leased.

Aside from the overall poor workmanship of the car, what makes the experience so amazing is that when I told my dealer - -LR of the Main Line -- outside Philadelphia -- that I had no intention of buying or extending, they seemingly acknowledged that I wasn't the first to say it, and they didn't press at all. One of the biggest issues I have, and potential buyers should know it, is that LR employs a "Just In Time" philosophy for stocking parts at dealers. What this means is that many of the parts you need are not kept in stock, and ordered after your car is already there. This guarantees extra days in your Enterprise rent-a-car.

Not trying to burst any dreams here, but the LR2 is a very average SUV. Keep that in mind as you negotiate deals.
  • birdman17birdman17 Member Posts: 10
    I second what "newsguy" said. I, too, am coming off a 2-year lease with the LR2.

The car is average at best. I will not buy another Land Rover again.

Sorry.
  • samminsammin Member Posts: 39
    I am still considering leasing one, therefore, could you please elaborate on why you were dissatisfied?

Was it the looks?, the ride?, the mpg?, the space? the service? breakdowns?

Also, what did you replace it with?

I agree with previous posts…I live in Westchester Co NY and work in NYC, I see maybe 1 LR2 a month vs the continuous steam of Sports and Rovers…but those are out of my price range, and for that money would go German.

Thanks for your feedback.
  • birdman17birdman17 Member Posts: 10
    Just overall poor quality with the LR2...here's my story:

Week 1: The car did not recognize the key fob in the car. Car would not start. Had to call Roadside Assistance to tow my vehicle and had loaner for a week.
    Week 2: Had the sunroof open...when I closed it, the sunroof went off tracks and would not close. Had to take it to the dealership to get it fixed. Had a loaner for 3 days.
    Week 3: Land Rover recalled all LR2's for the sunroof problem. Had a loaner for 2 weeks waiting on new sunroof to be delivered from England.
    Month 4: The windows would not go down in the vehicle. Had to take it back to the dealership for fixing.
    Month 7: The undercarraige is visible from the back of the vehicle. There was rusting and when I took it back to the dealership for questioning, the service guy told me to buy spray paint to paint it back to the black color.
    Month 12: The battery in the key went dead. Had to take it back to the dealership for a recharge.
    Month 13, 14, 15 and 16: The car would not start immediately after making a few sales calls. When I told the service tech the problem, he ran some tests and he said that the diagnostic tests did not show any problems. He advised me to stop back in if it happened again. When I got back into my car to leave, it wouldn't start again. I had to fiddle with the air conditioning and/or "let it rest" for a few minutes before restarting the car.
    etc.etc.etc.etc....

Not to mention, there is no garage door opener built into the vehicle. You would think that on a LR they would include it.

That said, it does perform extremely well in the snow. That is the only upside (in my opinion) to the LR2. I leased the car in the middle of a snow storm 2 years ago and i think that is what got me to pull the trigger.

Please do your due diligence before making the decision.
  • samminsammin Member Posts: 39
    Wow, thanks for the details.
  • bostonbob1bostonbob1 Member Posts: 1
    Dear Sammin, I felt I had to respond to the info you have been given about the LR2. My wife and I own two 2008 LR2s. They have performed flawlessly over the past 18 months and we both still just love getting in the car to go somewhere. The car drives great in town and on the highway and is just amazing in the snow. We feel we are driving something unique as well. We have been Mercedes owners exclusively (and we have four cars, two in Massachusetts and two in Florida) since 1995 and feel everything about our LandRover experience has been top drawer. We have had no mechanical or other problems of any kind. Period. Great car in all respects. You will not find a better value.
  • navyscponavyscpo Member Posts: 20
    They want you to buy. I was offered a lease (4,000 down inc first pmt. all fees) and 670 a month for 3 months That is for a base model $37K . Its a ripoff.
  • gregorpbgregorpb Member Posts: 2
    Gotta say, I don't usually post to these boards, but there's not a lot of info out there on the newer LR2s. I got mine in September, so I haven't had it long. Purchased an '09 Dealer's demo for under $32k, fully loaded, under 8k miles. Got an outside loan. This car is great. I have absolutely no complaints. City mileage sucks (i.e. 14 mpg), but honestly, it's better than the '92 piece of junk I was driving around in before. I recommend getting a price from one dealer and askng another to beat it. Good luck!
  • jt1977jt1977 Member Posts: 2
    I'm at the end of my lease on an 08 LR2 and trying to figure out how much approx I'll owe in fees when I turn it in. I know what the turn in fee is and excess mileage but not sure how they charge for scratches......there's one on the front bumper that's about 6" and some on the rims over 3-4". There's also a tiny nick on the windshield. Do you have any idea what the charges might be, would it be cheaper to get it all fixed on my own? I'm still debating on whether to buy it out, considering these fees and went 2000 miles over. The buyout is $22774.
    Thanks!
  • misswhomisswho Member Posts: 19
    JT:

I just turned in my 08 LR2 after a 3yr lease. I was in the same position as you--had some cosmetic issues & wondered about just buying it out to avoid fees & then trying to sell it. To each their own, but I fixed up the major issues (replaced windshield, fixed a door dent) & returned it to Land Rover. From the start, my car had all sorts of problems & it was nice to walk right into Land Rover, hand them my keys, and be free. I actually really loved my car & was sad that it was so disappointing.

When Land Rover sent the inspector to go over my car, I was quite surprised at what was allowable. I had major wheel damage (from off-roading), dings/dents, paint chips, a couple major scratches, etc. Here's a link to Land Rover's wear & tear guide--download the pdf, which is really helpful. LR Wear & Use

The inspector thought I was going to be charged for all new wheels, but when I actually got my bill, I was only charged $150 for the damage--and they were pretty eaten up. I wasn't even charged for the other things.

My buyout was $19,270 and there's NO WAY I would've bought it, after the history I had, and then seeing how it got progressively worse after 45,000 miles. (My lease was 16,500 miles/year). Maybe you had a great experience--if you did, & you love your car and you want to buy it, then you should see if they'll negotiate on the buyout price. If you have any other questions, feel free.
  • aspen19128aspen19128 Member Posts: 4
    I am considering an LR2 lease for 36 months, 12,000 mi/yr starting in April. Looking at the HSE model and expecting an msrp of 38,000 Do you have an estimated residual value and money factor? Also, any known incentives on leases? I know Land Rover is not usually too great on leasing. I will purchase in either Pennsylvania or New Jersey. Thanks for any help.
  • gregdole7gregdole7 Member Posts: 14
    Carman,

Do you have april (or march) lease numbers for a 2011 LR2 HSE LUX?

Interested in a 36 month lease with 15k a year.

Thanks
    Here's the information that you're looking for gregdole7.

Land Rover's April buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2011 LR2 HSE LUX with 15,000 miles per year are .00330 and 41%, respectively.

Car_man
    Host
  • nickr1nickr1 Member Posts: 51
    I don't see any lease being offered on the Land Rover site or at the dealer for a 2011 LR2, so what are you guys talking about, land Rover does not lease this car as far as I can see.
    Technically one can still lease an LR2 if they really want to, but it is not a very good deal to do so right now.

Car_man
    Host
  • nickr1nickr1 Member Posts: 51
    Okay, but why is it a bad deal? Why does it seem just this model's lease is a bad deal? I know they would sell many more of them if they had a good lease deal, do they not think that, or care? This is a bizarre situation, isn't? I get the feeling this car is on it's last legs, it's going to be discontinued, it's over priced anyway and everybody knows it, except people who want to be blind to it. It's kind of like the Honda Element, it's gone, no more of them ever, but you don't read that on Hondas site and you see tons of them on the road. Really weird.
  • k_britk_brit Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone have recent experience leasing a 2013 LR2. I am interested in leasing for 36 months, 10-12,000 miles/yr. Do you know the money factor for Tier 1 credit and residual value?
    Hi k_brit. Chase's March buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36-month lease of a base 2013 LR2 with 12,000 miles per year are .00213 and 54% for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier.

The residual value for a lease with 10,000 miles per year would be 1% higher.

Car_man
    Host
  • kdraregkdrareg Member Posts: 56
    Can someone provide information on the current money factor and residual value for 2013 LR2 HSE? I am in lease negotiation with a dealership in the LA area for a Black Ext/Ebony Int with Navigation and HD Satellite Radio. Their quote price is $40,370.

Land Rover USA is offering $1000 cash rebate for purchases or leases. With such an offer, does it make sense to just buy it instead of lease if my cap cost reduction is almost $3000?

Thanks.
    Hi kdrareg. According to the latest information that I have seen, Chase's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36-month lease of a 2013 LR2 HSE with 15,000 miles per year are .00280 and 43% for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier.

Where did you see the $1,000 incentive on the '13 LR2? I am not aware of any cash incentives on this model.

Car_man
    Host