Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler T&C/Dodge Grand Caravan - Warranty questions

chrysframechrysframe Member Posts: 3
edited May 2014 in Chrysler
2004 50k T&C with factory towing package, recently found out "frame is cracking at hitch connection." Does anyone know what exactly their warranty covers?
So far we're in the "waiting to here from Chrysler" mode. Oh, and "don't tow anything!!"

Comments

• 97xpresso97xpresso Member Posts: 249
    I don't have an answer for you, but I'm curious, what exactly have you towed with this vehicle, and how much does it weigh?
  • chrysframechrysframe Member Posts: 3
    Sorry I haven't responded earlier, computer problems.
    We have a pop-up Fleetwood camper. The van pulled a U-Haul once, but the weight was no where near max weight (U-Haul won't rent them too big).
    Tow package is rated to pull 3,800 lbs, but tonque weight must also be considered. Let us know how issue is resolved.
  • chrysframechrysframe Member Posts: 3
    The crack is about 3" along the rear driver's side where the hitch attaches. All the other frame "looks" ok. Any idea if just having it welded back together, even with some extra iron for support, would be acceptable?
    How long do we wait for Chrysler to respond?
    I would be politely bugging them about it, or they will forget about you. Do you have a case # or any documentation that they are looking in to this?
  • simplelxsimplelx Member Posts: 3
    WARNING: If you got the lifetime powertrain warranty you must get a certified/dealer stamp on every maintenance log entry in your owner's manual (6mo., 12mo....etc)or it voids the warranty.
  • tedebeartedebear Member Posts: 832
    I'm not sure where you may have seen that but I recall reading that you just have to show proof of scheduled maintenance (sales receipts for oil and filters, for example).
  • hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    No cause for concern since ALL manufacturers require a specified schedule for routine maintenance to keep the warranty valid. :shades:
  • dlseekdlseek Member Posts: 22
    That's not how my warranty reads... here is the only section I can find that is even remotely close to that:

G. Inspections

In order to maintain the Lifetime Powertrain Limited Warranty, the person or entity covered by this Powertrain Limited Warranty must have a powertrain inspection performed by an authorized Chrysler, Dodge, or Jeep dealer once every 5 years. This inspection will be performed at no charge. This inspection must be made within sixty (60) days of each 5 year anniversary of the in-service date of the vehicle. You must have the inspection performed to continue this coverage.
  • snewsiesnewsie Member Posts: 4
    I just purchased an 08 T&C Touring Signature Series yesterday. I was told that you had to bring it in every 5 years for a 'look-see'. You have 60 days prior to that 5 year mark or 60 days after that 5 year mark. Other than that, I'd recommend keeping all records either way.
  • simplelxsimplelx Member Posts: 3
  • dlstarrydlstarry Member Posts: 6
    Hi: I am thinking of getting extended warranty for my 03 Dodge Grand Caravan
    from a company called Carchex.

I'm wondering if anyone has or had a warranty threw this company ?

If so what is your experience with them ? Good, Bad, or Otherwise ?

Thank You
    Denny
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,786
    If the "warranty" is not through the manufacturer, do not buy it! You will not come out ahead. These fly-by-night warranties have myriad ways of disappearing, finding exclusions for your particular repairs, etc.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • srs_49srs_49 Member Posts: 1,394
    I am in full agreement with xwesx!
    Thank you for the advice, I am going to take the advice given & not buy the warranty.
    Denny
  • greekprinzezzgreekprinzezz Member Posts: 2
  • greekprinzezzgreekprinzezz Member Posts: 2
    I purchased my '06 T & C used and the dealership I got it from didn't tell me if there was any factory warranty on the vehicle and what it was.

Can anyone tell me what the factory warranty is?
  • nursekevnursekev Member Posts: 18
    My wife just took our 09 T&C to Jiffy Lube for its first oil change. Will this invalidate anything covered under the 3/36,000 warranty? Thanks for any answers.

Kevin
  • tedebeartedebear Member Posts: 832
    My wife just took our 09 T&C to Jiffy Lube for its first oil change. Will this invalidate anything covered under the 3/36,000 warranty?

You do not have to take it to a Chrysler dealer for regular maintenance to maintain the warranty, if that's what you're concerned about. Just keep receipts and things of any work done to show Chrysler if they ask for it before doing a warranty repair.

You can even do your own maintenance - just keep the receipts for oil and filter purchases, or any other maintenance item that you buy for the vehicle. I like doing my own oil changes, etc., because I can look around and inspect things while under the vehicle that a fast paced shop might not have the time to look at. Plus, I save a lot of money by doing it myself. ;)

The only thing that you do have to take it to the dealer for pertains to the lifetime powertrain warranty. You have to take it to a dealership once every 5 years for a free powertrain inspection to keep the warranty active.
  • nursekevnursekev Member Posts: 18
    Thanks, tedebear. That answers my question.

Kevin
  • intrepidaciousintrepidacious Member Posts: 5
    Of course most owners won't know to bring it in, or they won't happen to think about it within the allowable window of time, so there will be a lot of "void" lifetime warranties.
  • larrye98larrye98 Member Posts: 4
    And Chrysler knows that, that's why they came up with this plan to start with. The second part is so the dealership continues to get paid even after the car is sold by selling the fact that their dealership needs to make the repairs to keep the warranty effective. A 10 year/100,000 mile warranty would have been so much better.
This discussion has been closed.