Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Caravan/Voyager Engine Problems

mobilemecmobilemec Member Posts: 8
I need help. I have a 98 Dodge Caravan w/ 3.0L. It had a cylinder #5 misfire. I replaced plugs, wires, and cap. It did not help. I performed a compression test and cylinders 1&3 are 130 and cylinder #5 is at 55. What would cause this? Oil and coolant are fine. Someone told me a broken ring but it does not smoke or burn oil. Cold a bad valve cause this?

Comments

• caravan96caravan96 Member Posts: 1
    hi, i have a problem with my 1996 caravan 3.3,when :cry: running normally the engine shut off, i turn on and she run perfect but repeat the problem ,i change the crank sensor ,can sensor,test another engine computer, change the fuel filter and pump,check the tps sensor and make the same.the oxigen sensor are new,the transmition are new.please some one help me .
  • theriaulttheriault Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I am replacing the engine in my 1999 dodge caravan ( 3.0 l). I believe that the engines from 1997 - 2000 are the same, but I have a buddy that has a 3.0 out of a 1994 or /95 that has very low mileage and works well.. What problems or modifications will have to be made to make it fit, or is this not possible.. Any help appreciated.
    Thanks Ruby :confuse:
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    This most likely will be a huge nose-bleed. Why? The engines from the Gen 2 vans were controlled by the first generation OBD-I firmware whereas the engines for all vans starting with the Gen 3 release were OBD-II compliant. I suspect that the engine itself will fit, but the rewiring job (either of the engine or the van) would make this a virtually impossible conversion.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • bubbles4bubbles4 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 dodge grand-caravan with 101,000 miles on it. A mechanic of mine suggested I use 5-30 weight of oil in the engine. If he is correct than what brand, type (such as conventional, synthetic blend or synthetic) and weight. Anybody out there with any input on this matter I would greatly appreciate it very much.
    Yes, the 5W-30 should do perfectly well in most situations, and 0W-30 would be even a bit better if you live where the snow flies. FWIW, I use Mobil 1 0W-40 in both of our 3.8 liter DGCs (and used Mobil 1 0W-30 before that and 5W-30 before that) with great results (and great UOAs as well).

Regarding the synthetic versus conventional discussion, yeesh, where do I start? Ummm, I'm thinking that you might want to browse the last several months of posts under the Synthetic Oil topic:

ruking1, "Synthetic motor oil" #7000, 27 Jan 2007 10:23 am

That will either answer all your questions or make you more confused than ever. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • lovecdlovecd Member Posts: 50
    I recently noticed an abnormal noise when driving in low gear (L gear) on my 98 Caravan. That noise will disappear after shifted to higher gear (D gear). When I changed to D from Reverse gear, I can hear this noise in very low speed, after it switched to higher gear with higer speed, this noise is gone. This problem come out right after I use my Caravan to pick up the furniture I just purchased last week (about 450 pounds, ofcourse I removed my second and third row seats), and I did not apply the parking brake when loading the furniture, so, the car can move or shake a little during loading and unloading, not sure if this will associate to this issue at all).

Appreciate if somebody can give some advise here.

Thanks!
  • sfunezsfunez Member Posts: 1
    My 2000 plymouth voyager was leaking and my husband changed the timing and water pump. Now no leak, but my van will not stay running after ignition. I have to constantly push the gas pedal to keep car running. Any suggestions? This was not happening before my husband tried to fix it.
    It sounds very much like he didn't properly line up the timing marks on the cam and crank sprockets before torquing the sprockets (and chain) back in place. Sorry to have to tell you this, but he needs to go back in. :-(

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,761
    I concur. It is very easy to get the marks off kilter mid-process. I did this on my '96 Subaru once and the only solution was to reset the timing belt. Not fun, but it should fix the problem.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    Noticed something is wrong with my 98 Caravan recently. Have my mechanic shop checked and was informed that the trans is gone and needs a new one with a repairing cost of $2900. Considering this is a 9 years old vehicle and resell price is about $4000, should I go ahead to fix it or simply donate it, get some tax returned and buy a new vehicle?

Your comments will be highly appreciated!
    Last year the transmission went out on our 1998 3.8 liter DGC when it had 109,000 miles on it, and I didn't even hesitate in arranging for a factory remanufactured transmission to be put in. True it cost me $2,600 for the new tranny, but I figured that since the rest of the van was operating perfectly well, the money was way cheaper than buying another car. That was 37,000 miles ago and my decision has proven correct as I've only had to do brakes and a new starter since.

Let us know how you make out.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Thanks for your comments! By the way, did you get your transmission replaced in Dodge dealer or other auto shop? And is $2600 including everything?
    I paid $2,600 at a Dodge dealer, and yes, it included everything but the rental car. ;-) FWIW, I did some shopping and found that while some outfits were willing to do the job for nearly a thousand dollars less, those transmissions only came with a thirty day warranty. I wasn't impressed.

I also found other shops that would do the job for about $2,200, and those transmissions carried a 12 month/12,000 mile warranty. That said, I was relying on that car for a long daily commute and didn't have the luxury of screwing around with warranty repair work, so..., the 36 month/36,000 mile warranty on top of the factory remanufactured unit easily got my dollars.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    The factory reman is built to the latest engineering build for that generation of transmission (i.e. the 2000 model year), and as such is the ONLY Gen 3 minivan transmission that was built from the start to use the new fully synthetic Mopar transmission fluid called ATF+4. Prior to that, all minivan transmissions used the semi-synthetic (and less robust) Mopar ATF+3. As such, I have every confidence that this van will be well north of 250,000 miles before it needs another transmission. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Hello Shipo,

Thanks for your comments! I finally decided to get my transmission replaced and it was done a few days ago. By the way, when I looked and checked the new transmission underneath, the transmission pan cover doesn't look like new (pretty similar to the old one), while other parts looks new with Chrysler symbol. On my receipt, there is a separate charge for 5 quarts ATF-4 fluid. I remembered that Chrysler should provide the whole package (including fluid and new pan cover together, etc., auto shop should just replace the old transmission unit with the new remanufactured one without filling atf-4 fluid separately unless it needs topped). Did you get the samething on yours last time?

Thanks!
    My new transmission did indeed come home with the pan from the old transmission, and as such it makes total sense that the fluid needs to be added after installation. That said, I don't think I paid extra for the fluid.

Did they warn you that your new transmission was going to shift rough for a couple of thousand miles while the fuzzy logic control unit "learns" your driving style? FWIW, I was actually kind of alarmed at how the new transmission shifted for the first month or so, but can report that it did eventually get itself sorted and its shifted perfectly well ever since.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • goldrenchgoldrench Member Posts: 9
    I have a Chrysler Town and Country 3.3 and a Dodge Caravan 3.3. Both are 2005 and 70,000 miles.
    After driving I noticed a slight rattle from the front of the engine. Replaced tensioners and the noise is still there. Any common problems with Timing chain in these cars?
  • abuchholzabuchholz Member Posts: 2
    2005 grand caravan with 3.8 ltr.
    55,000 miles on it.
    Any speed when you push down on the pedal 1 to 2 mph. it runs rough or shakes.
    Replaced plugs already.
    And ideas?
  • masterpaul1masterpaul1 Member Posts: 421
    Was it doing this before you replaced the plugs? If not, then the plugs might be crossed.
  • abuchholzabuchholz Member Posts: 2
    yes. That's why I replaced them.
  • dcshddcshd Member Posts: 3
    hearing bottom end engine noise only at idle or low rpm. Not a rod noise, thinking might be crank walking. Noise seems to be very close to flywheel. have remove oil pan and looks normal? have not measured end play as of yet but if i pry crank forward and back it seems a bit excessive and noise sounds similar. any thoughts and if thats the problem is it hard to fix?
    Is the knock occasional, occasional as in not every revolution, more like three or four knocks and then quiet for a few revs and then back again?

If so then it is considered "normal". I first noticed this noise from the 3.8 liter engine in our 1998 DGC (a virtual twin of the 3.3 engine) shortly after we got the van. Now, 150,000 miles later I can still hear it. The noise hasn't improved and it hasn't gotten any worse, it just is. I'm thinking it might be oil pump related.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    originally thought it was a pulley or waterpump or even a/c because it always gets more pronounced when the a/c compressor comes on. Removed belt and noise is still there. totally goes away with a little rpm (2000, or so)
    Hi Shipo,

Long time no talk, hope all goes well. I got a question for you about that remanufactured transmission for Caravan we talked few months ago. After I got it replaced two months ago, I found a noise when driving between 35 to 45 miles, bring my car back to dealer, they diagnosed this problem and replaced another transmission for me under Chrysler's warranty. However, I got the same noise again. The answer from Chrysler is that this is a normal noise and will not cover it any more. I was wondering if you got the same noise when you got your transmission replaced last year? Any ideas?

Thanks!
    One, question. Does the noise coincide with a drop in RPMs on the tachometer?

As far as I know, all Gen 3 and Gen 4 minivans with 3.3 and 3.8 liter engines go into torque converter lock between 35 and 45 mph (warmed up and under light throttle load), and when that happens it isn't unusual to hear some resonance from the exhaust system.

In the case of both of our vans, assuming a light application of the accelerator pedal when on a level road, the engine RPMs will drop from ~2000 to ~1500 when in the 38 to 45 mph range. Occasionally, depending upon loading and such I'll hear some engine and exhaust resonance.

A good way to rule this out is to take a test drive and manually select "3" with the gear selector for all speeds under 50. If you do this and you hear your "noise" then it's a fair assumption that the problem is simple resonance.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Thanks for your advise! I will do this test later on. By the way, if it is resonance, will that goes away after driving few thousands mile (break-in period) or will stay forever? It is kind of annoying to me.
    If it's resonance, then it probably won't go away as the problem isn't the transmission. What is happening is that when the torque converter locks up, the engine RPMs drop to a point where the engine is almost lugging, and that in turn sets up a vibration through the exhaust system and other components attached to the engine.

Typically resonance isn't a problem, however, if the exhaust system has been damaged at some time in the past, and/or one or more of the exhaust hangers is missing/damaged, the problem can manifest itself as a noise or even an amplified vibration.

Keep us posted. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Has anyone else seen/heard this problem?
    I sure could use some help here.
    I'm thinking probably not as there haven't been any responses to your original query.

Grasping at straws here, you might want to consider buying a premium belt from Napa/Gates, Mopar or Dayco (and by "premium" I mean the best of whatever they sell, usually costing somewhere north of $40 for the belt), as cheap belts have a tendency to slip a bit causing a ringing or chirping sound.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Thanks...we've changed the belts to premium with no change. Only happens when warm, and it's definately a metal rattle.
    I find it highly unlikely that it is the timing chain as they are quite robust. I know of a couple of instances where the factory chain and gear set lasted over 300,000 miles with no problems or noise.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Ok...thanks again...we'll do further testing and I'll let you know.
  • pjeannebpjeanneb Member Posts: 2
    My '06 Grand Caravan makes a whirring kind of whining noise. It changes pitch when gears shift and I can hear it on the highway, around town as well as when idling. It happens when engine is warm but outside temp is cool. Dealer said he has 2 that do this and it has something to do with battery re-charging. My reliable mechanic has agreed. No one has offered a solution to this very annoying situation. This is my 3rd Caravan and I am ready to drive it into a tree to get the noise to quit. Any suggestions?
  • 4bigdee4bigdee Member Posts: 1
    Unfortunately every where read this random knocking problem, no one knows what's the cause. I have this same problem and is looking for some answer, as to what is causing it.
    Will you tell me if you did get this resolved and what was the cause?
    thanks.
  • kierankieran Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 odel (bought new in 2001) Grand Voyager. The motor has developed a chirping noise when it start cold. As it warms it changes to a tapping. The recurren ce of the noises increases with the revs of the motor, and is present when the car is stationary and idling. The Chrysler dealer does not know the casue of the fault but wants $3,000 in labour to remove the motor and replace it, plus whatever it costs to diagnose and repair the fault. The motor seems to be running perfectly and was tuned only a week ago without problem.
    Common noises from the 3.3 and 3.8 engine line:

1) Upper end tapping or clicking: Fairly common complaint, not only from minivan owners but virtually all cars these days. Noise is usually attributed to the "clicking" of the fuel injectors, is considered to be normal and not in any way harmful.
    2) Mid engine tapping or rattling immediately following a cold start: Fairly common complaint from Generation 2 and Generation 3 minivan owners. Noise is from the cam followers and is normally attributed to either the grade of engine oil and/or the quality of the "Drainback valve" in the oil filter. Personally I'm skeptical about the oil claim, however, I have found that the filter DOES make a difference. Over the years I've tried a number of oil filters on our Gen 3 3.8 liter van, and the one that keeps it the quietest following a cold start is oddly enough the Ford/Motorcraft FL-1A, a filter that is roughly twice the displacement than one that Chrysler originally mounted on our engines (meaning that an oil/filter change requires about 5.25 quarts of oil to bring the oil level up to the "Full" mark on the dipstick).
    3) Bottom end tapping: Usually attributed to either the oil pump or the timing chain assembly. Both of our 3.8 liter DGCs (one from 1998 and the other from 2003) make this noise, and have since new. The 1998 now has in excess of 150,000 miles on it and still operates like new, ditto the 2003 with only 99,000 miles on it. While I'm not sure what is making the noise, it is a common one from these engines and one that is apparently harmless.
    4) Chirping: Very common noise from these engines, and almost always attributed to either a cheap aftermarket serpentine belt (the vast majority of complaints) and/or a pully that isn't freely rolling. Remedy is usually as simple as buying a top of the line (as in at least $40) Napa, Gates, Dayco or Mopar belt. If the belt is both new and one of the above, the tension arm and idler pulleys are suspect and should be replaced. If the noise still persists (very uncommon), then the A/C compressor and/or the water pump and/or the power steering pump are suspect (in that order).

Long story short, all of these noises are typically benign and are just part of the beast.

I hope this helps.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • toadrntoadrn Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Grand Caravan, and I have the same problem. A horrible rattling noise. It started at about 48,000 miles. The first time that I took it in to the dealer I was told it was the harmonic balancer, and it would cost me 250.00 to replace it. I was assured that the noise would then be gone....only it was not. When I took it back again they told me that the noise was normal by Dodge standards. I took it to another dealership, and was told that the noise is an internal engine noise....is not normal, but ok per dodge standards. I am still fighting with dodge to attempt to get the new engine that I am entitled under my warranty. I am taking it to another shop this week.....can't wait to hear what they have to say.
    Let me know what they say. I service many of these and haven't notice any of them with this noise which Chrysler says is, in fact, normal and "due to the aluminum timing chain cover allowing an audible noise."
    Bob :mad:
  • pjeannebpjeanneb Member Posts: 2
    This problem is fixed! It was actually caused by the power-steering. Having the fluid drained and system flushed has resolved the noise problem.
  • 27612761 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2004 dodge caravan with a 3.3l. Engine is usually warmed up for approx 3-5 minutes prior to driving and makes no noise. When driven there is no noise until you slow or stop the vehicle then a whirring noise begins and gets louder as engine RPMs increase. Noise will eventually go away, after approx 10minutes of driving and will not return. This sounds like a pump cavitating, I checked all fluids and they are all full. I also had an engine code for evap. emissions system. Any advice?
  • 27612761 Member Posts: 3
    the power steering noise makes the most sense to me. Thanks for the comments, I'll let you know. I usually deal with heavy equipment, this is somewhat new to me. Thanks again! :shades:
  • bobshepbobshep Member Posts: 3
    I had a similar noise which eventually turned to a louder more scraping type sound on my 99 3.8 Grand Voyager. Several mechanics could not locate the problem. As it turned the noise was the camshaft which eventually broke. I have researched and found many other 3.3 and 3.8 with similar problems. I would have your cam bearings replaced. Mine froze and caused a break in the cam and damage to my valves.
    Uhhh, maybe you have me confused with someone else. My 1998 3.8 liter engine is not making any such noise, even though it has over 150,000 on the clock. That and my Used Oil Analysis shows very low lead and tin readings indicating that my bearings are still in very good shape.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    OK..Was not respionding to your post ..not sure why it was posted as reply to your post.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,761
    I followed it - appeared to me as though you were replying to a post that Shipo, also, had replied. The original poster listed a metallic rattle as his problem.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    Yeah ..I just saw that ..thanks
  • dlstarrydlstarry Member Posts: 6
    Hi: Shipo

I have a 03 dodge grand caravan, 3.3L engine, with only 36000 miles on it
    & it has noise like a tick or knock.
    It had this noise when I bought it in 03, didn't think much of it thought
    it must be normal.
    Then I read on a forum some where that the 3.3L / 3.8L used the same head bolt as
    the 2.2L, but they used a larger washer for the 3.3L / 3.8L. The head bolt washer was
    large enough to decompress a valve spring when installed, if not careful.

So that got me thinking, & that's not good, but anyway I have been checking
    everything & coming up with nothing. My dealer said it was normal but of course
    I didn't believe him right ? :confuse: He just wants to get rid of me . :) So I thought anyway.

Then I start looking all over the internet & Lo & Behold last night I stumble onto
    carspace automotive forum, & there I find it, this wonderful article you wrote on
    Common noises from the 3.3 and 3.8 engine line, YA HOOOoooooo the very thing
    that my 3.3 is doing.

Thank You Very Much for this article, now I can just drive & enjoy the ride
    again.

Thank You again
    Denny
    Glad I could help. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • lewparelllewparell Member Posts: 4
    I just bought mt first Grand Voyager you won't believe the deal I got it is the classic tale of the little old lady who could no longer drive. it is a 1994 with only 55000 miles on it. in mint condetation. it is the LE model. i need to know iv it came with the tow package, the VIN number is 1p4gh54l3rx214831. Does anyone out there know what options came standard with this van and is there any way that I can find out what options were ordered with it. please help if you can. Thanks Lew.