Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus GX470 Navigation System

mmegeheemmegehee Member Posts: 1
Is there a way to bypass or disable navigation restrictions while driving. I hope spoken with Lexus discretely and they disclaim this activity and mention any changes to software will void warranty. However, it was indirectly mentioned that an electronic jumper may accomplish my objective. Though quite frankly I am in agreement with this restriction conceptually, but it is too restrictive, literally navigation is unusable while driving even for passengers.

Comments

• tim724tim724 Member Posts: 4
    you will find what you need on Ebay, very simple process.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Do you mean the cut the wire/install a switch hack that may void the warranty? (link)

Or the make a new DVD disk with a old version start-up file trick?
  • maizenbluemaizenblue Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2004 GX470, and the nav system has always had errors. Likes to lose me and put me in unknown places. Recently updated the disc and it is worse than the original one. I've read the manual, made sure settings/region is correct and use the heck out of the calibration/recalibration tool. Still have problems with system losing its place and not finding GPS satellite position. Live in large enough metropolitan city and travel to large cities. Satellite should find me, but it is always lost. Any other owners with this problem and any solutions?
  • paulsoxpaulsox Member Posts: 1
    I continue to experience unexplained occasional electrical problems with my 2004 GX470. A friend suggested I disconnect the battery to reset the electrical system. WILL THIS CAUSE MAJOR PROBLEMS when the system is reset?

Any suggestions or recommendations?

Thanks
  • lexusbeelexusbee Member Posts: 1
    I have 08 gx470 with Nav system. Recently I drove from Dallas(TX) to Rogers (AR). The Nave system showed me 3 routes which are entirely different from yahoo or google maps. Even the shortest/fastest route show and excess of 70 miles. I took the Quick1 and I drove an extra 90 miles (extra 90 mins). While return I followed the yahoo map and I was back in less than 5 hours, compared to 6.5 hours.

Did anybody else experience this before. Cn u try this by your nav system too.

Thanks,
  • thesilverfox1thesilverfox1 Member Posts: 3
    The navigation lady that lives under the seat used to talk to me ... she doesn't do it any more...

Her directions seem to be OK on the screen

Does anyone know how I can get her back?

Thanks
  • vchengvcheng Member Posts: 1,284
    May be she was laid off.

But seriously, go to Options Menu and look for the Guidance Volume setting.
    Good answer... but have already been there.. and AUDIO, etc... without success.

Thanks for the reply

Pressing on

CES
  • vchengvcheng Member Posts: 1,284
    In that case, check the amplifier. The navigation voice feed goes to a relay to be input into the left front channel after muting the audio input from the amplifier.
    Thanks... let me see if I can trace that out...
  • bhuttbhutt Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased this vehicle from a family member and it has the sat nav system. My job requires me to visit locations that are new roads and thus are not in the system when I try finding them.

I was told by my local Lexus dealer that you can upgrade the software by purchasing the cd software. However, the update may not be too useful as Lexus updates more of the roads and streets out west than they do in the east.

Does anybody have a solution to this issue?

bhuttt
  • pigeon2pigeon2 Member Posts: 2
    I also have this problem with a 04 GX470. It seems like there is no satellite communication at all so eventually tracking fails and we get lost. Did you ever find a solution?
  • bokenrosiebokenrosie Member Posts: 1
    I'm having the same "no audio with navigation" problem. Would that mean no music? I'm hearing music. I'm not sure if I hear the music on the left side dropping off when the prompts should come.
  • jpollockjpollock Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know where to get a navigation system update disk version 10.1 without paying $195?
  • tim724tim724 Member Posts: 4
    You should be able to find one on your local Craigslist for about $75.00.
  • eljo1eljo1 Member Posts: 1
    hi. does anyone knows how to reset or override the software of a 2004 lexus gx 470 navigation? i actually hit a wrong version and it popped out the word CAUTION and some japanese characters . And i could not go back to its original menu.. i really need help .. the dealer is aasking more than 200 bucks to diagnose and not yet to fix it..
  • rcummelinrcummelin Member Posts: 184
    You might try ejecting the CD from under the passenger seat--from the rear--and re-loading it.