Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Subaru Legacy

Comments

• moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    VW is selling well in spite of terrible reliability because of exterior and interior.

For the record, VW does not have terrible reliability. #1 Lexus has 1.36 problems per vehicle and VW has 2.9 problems per vehicle in JD Power long term dependability. Subaru 2.3 problems per vehicle.
  • mogul2mogul2 Member Posts: 14
    Well, JD Power operates with advertising dollars from car manufacturers. I will trust independent groups like consumer reports than JD Power any day.
  • cptpltcptplt Member Posts: 1,075
    even in Europe VW does poorly compared to the Japanese
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Subaru's numbers should improve with JD Power soon. 2002 was the last year they had head gasket issues. I think the Dependability study looks at 5 year old models, so once they start looking at 2003s I bet you'll see significant improvement there.

Then again, VW phased out the 1.8T, so the ignition coil failures will eventually disappear from those studies as well.
  • upstatedocupstatedoc Member Posts: 710
    Agree, wouldn't trust JD Power. Would go with CR or even Edmunds!
  • fxoffroadfxoffroad Member Posts: 67
    this is too funny. you seem to be the expert at lots of things... though I have yet to see your credentials. :lemon:

Everyone likes to spin JD Powers, Consumer Reports, Edmunds and others. Consumer Reports for example... will rate some new vehicles based on their replacement model w/ some brands and not with others. Consumer Reports doesnt send me a surveys for my new vehicle purchases - JD Powers does. I chose to rely on information that I've actually experienced and know first hand that they ask consumers for data.
    CR sends surveys to all their subscribers. which is a pretty large population, whether they (or more importantly those who reply) are truly representative of the general motoring public is another question. I have had 3 JDP surveys in my time and the CR ones for two decades or more, they ask very different things.
  • newbarunewbaru Member Posts: 2
    I just bought my first Subaru. It's a 2008 Legacy 2.5i se. So far I love the car from top to bottom. Anyone have advice I should know about?
    I get both.

Did not fill them out, though. Too time consuming, and noone's paying me!

CR does have the biggest sample size, IIRC.
  • guidomerkensguidomerkens Member Posts: 2
    I need a definitive answer: can I use a 15" wheel for snow tires on an '08 Legacy 2.5i Limited that comes with 17" wheels as standard? I have a nice set of Blizzaks from my old car that I would like to use on my new Legacy.

TireRack says no due to brake clearance; Discount Tire Direct says yes. The '08 Legacy has an 11.5" vented front disc and a 10.6" solid rear disc. By comparison, the 2004 Legacy L (the last year that came with 15" wheels as standard) had a 10.7" vented front disc and an 11.3" rear disc.

Anyone have an idea? My thanks in advance.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    I am sure there are SOME 15" wheels that would clear your brakes, however, I don't think that the generic 15" steelies for subies will clear them due to brake caliper clearance issues.

-mike
    I seriously doubt it.

Maybe 15" gold Impreza RS wheels.

Ask the dealer if you can test-mount one wheel on the front axle. Tell them it's a pre-requisite for a sale.
    Now if there was a 15" Gold Impreza RS wheel that would be suprising!

The Imprezas were 16x7!

There are aftermarket 15" rally wheels that run about $300-400 a pop that will clear the 4-pot FHI calipers, but even then I'm not sure they'd clear the legacy brakes.

-mike
  • guidomerkensguidomerkens Member Posts: 2
    OK--thanks for the info.
  • kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Member Posts: 1,798
    I'm considering an '08 outback Xi (?) series (the one with the 4 cyl turbo engine) given that the base 170 HP engine just isn't enough (0 - 60 times longer than a Prius and with less than half the MPG).

But I do not know if the turbo engine tolerates 89 or 87 octane fuel (Subaru recommends 91). I also don't know, in general, how Subaru turbos hold up (one work associate of mine went to great lengths to put additional oil pumps on his, along with long idle up and idle down times).

I also don't know how seat comfort holds up over long trips. Any comments from folks around 170 lbs who have had long stints in this car would be welcome.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Regular gas in a Subie turbo? Don't do it. These engines "require" (not recommend) premium gas. Also, new for '08 Subie turbos, is that they now require oil changes every 3750 miles, not 7500 as per earlier turbos. Not sure why the change this year.

I've got almost 30K on on my '06 WRX 2.5 turbo without any problems.

Bob
    Especially with the higher-boost Legacy/Outback engine.

The lower output tune in the Forester runs less boost and in that case premium fuel is not actually required.

It is required on the Legacy, though.

Maybe an H6 for you? You can use regular fuel with those.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,794
    I find the seat comfort on the Outback to be outstanding. I just drove one more than 5000 miles over a two week period. I still needed to stretch now and again, but it was leagues beyond any other seat I have experienced. They are firm, but supportive. Note of caution - do not sit for long periods with things (like a wallet) in your back pocket. ;)
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    My Miata is so tight that I can't sit with a wallet in my back pocket for my 13 miles commute!

So I've grown accustomed to doing that all the time.
    after having been pickpocketed a few times I never put my wallet in that back pocket and have not lost a wallet in 20+ years now, plus I don't need to worry about sitting on it!
    Yeah, I think about that often. I just do not have any other reliable pocket in which to place it. I have noticed, though, after that 5 week trip and not having the wallet in my pocket most of the time, I usually end up forgetting my wallet at home. Such is the case today, when I really need to fill up with fuel in order to make it home. Interesting conundrum. Darn - just realized that, actually. I hope I can make it there and back; the fuel light turned on about 3 miles from work this morning! :blush:
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • woodyboywoodyboy Member Posts: 10
    I am trying to decide between a AT and MT in the 08 Legacy GT. I had an 04 OB 2.5i MT and it was lacking in the performance dept. I do alot of mountain freeway driving. Anyone have feedback on this?
    Also someone in an earlier post mentioned the need for 3,750 mile oil changes now required for the 08 GT's. This is the first I have heard about this. Does the turbo put that much stress on the engine?
    Someone also mentioned using a cat back exhaust and cold air intake. Are these reasonable modifications to wake up the car a little more. Are there other mods to consider? Do they work to really increase performance? What about warranty?
    Get an MT, then you won't even need to worry about the mods. They're already plenty quick. :shades:
  • cjeancjean Member Posts: 1
    Anyone having trouble with 20008 Suburu Legacy--I am a loyal Suburu owner very disappointed in my new car--Had it in to dealer twice for same problem which they can not find and fix--noise--sometimes loud --metal -clanging--left front--done all brake checks--sounds awful--but not all the time--hard to get the noise on command--thinking I have a lemon--really thinking of trading--
    It shouldn't be hard to find, I'd think it were a heat shield of sorts.

-mike
    I was thinking the same thing...
  • bigearz1bigearz1 Member Posts: 20
    I am going to buy a Subaru Legacy 2.5i Limited and wonder if anyone of you guys buy extended warranty for rust proofing? and would you guys recommend it?
  • artourartour Member Posts: 22
    I bought a gt in July and took a warranty for 1 item - the tires. They wanted $15/mo for it but I offered $5 and we settled on $6. It didn't make sense to buy anything else.
    I've seen dealers sell extended warranties, and rust proofing, seperately.

But an extended warranty for rust proofing?

The rust proofing just isn't necessary. They use galvanized steel nowadays, so unless there is damage they will outlast the warranty anyway.
    thank you guys! just read up on galvanized steel and it seems as though I wont need any extended warranty on rust
    some ext warranty products will void your factory warranty. additional rustproofing and paint/fabric sealant etc stuff are little more than ways for the dealer to make a real profit .
  • hmckayhmckay Member Posts: 1
    I just recently purchased my first new car - a 2008 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Limited Edition. Can't wait to get the car on the road! I have a week or so to make up my mind on warranties for the car - looking for some input.

I've decided on getting an extended warranty, and am leaning towards the 6 yr. It's about $500 more than the 5-year, but $1100 less than the 7-year. Any thoughts? :confuse:

Don't think i'll be getting the Tire and Rim Protection unless someone can convince me otherwise. It's $399, only good for 5 years and has a $5000 limit. Is this worth the extra money? :confuse:

Finally, also debating getting the rust protection. I come from Newfoundland, where winter's can be harsh on cars, but it's another $500, and though its guaranteed for the life of the vehicle, it only covers rusting which began on the INSIDE of the vehicle. I Would've thought that rusting generally starts on the outside? :confuse:

Any suggestions would really help me out!
    The time extension of the warranty is really dependent on how many miles you drive a year. I only extended mine to 5 years 100k miles cause I do about 20k miles a year and I'll be out of miles long before the 5 years.

-mike
    Hi, is it true that you need to "break-in" the car before you're able to drive it on the highway? by breaking in i mean drive is on local streets and stufff for a certain amount of time before being able to drive it on the highway?
    Only need to keep it under 4k for the first 1500-2000 miles.

-mike
  • jfljfl Member Posts: 1,396
    That's 4000 rpm on the engine for the first 1500-2000 miles.

And don't sweat it if you go over 4000 rpm for an instant or two, just don't drive for miles and miles at that high an rpm during break-in.

My manual transmission turns 3000 rpm at 70mph in fifth gear so that 4000 rpm limit shouldn't cause problems in everyday driving. (I think an automatic turns an even lower rpm at 70.)

Another typical recommendation is not to drive for several hours at one set rpm. (So don't take a two hour drive with cruise control.) Vary the rpms a bit.

Jim
    The rust protection is truly a waste of money. Harsh winters or not, the car should not rust within the first 10 years. As for rust inside the vehicle, the best way to avoid problems with your interior is to use an all-weather floor mat that prevents water from saturating the carpet.

Also, the price of Subaru's extended warranty is negotiable, so if your local dealer is not willing to come down on the price of the package, you can always look for a dealer who will. The warranty comes from the factory, not from the dealer. It is not imperative that you buy it there. Additionally, you can purchase it at any time prior to the expiration of the 3-year, 36,000 mile base warranty.
    great info! i'll make sure i dont go over 4000 rpm when i do highway driving nor will i drive w/ a set rpm for a long period of time. THANKS!
  • razatatrazatat Member Posts: 2
    i bought the car in sept.and what a sweet ride, but..........
    had a few problems with it well one major,the rear defrost shorts out the radio,
    dealer said it was the tint, ripped it off, no go... swapped radios no go.. replaced rear window no go.. gouged the paint no go.. put a dent in it no go.. ripped the front seat no go.... i hate bennington subaru!!!!!!!!!! well my car is in the shop again being painted.. i hope it comes out black like it went in... but i doubt it. but it goes like a raped ape!!!! I :cry: should of went to kinney subaru!!!!!!
    It was likely the tint that caused the issue with the reception. I have the same problem on my wagon.

-mike
    Motorsports and Modifications Host
  • purduempurduem Member Posts: 3
    Not sure if this has been posted elsewhere, but here's a very positive review about the new (in the UK) Legacy diesel:
    http://cars.uk.msn.com/Reviews/article.aspx?cp-documentid=7283675

Let's hope this finds its way to North America very soon!
  • razatatrazatat Member Posts: 2
    no after the tint was off, it still did it, even put in a new rear window, comes and goes, just like a ghost,

whats messed up is subaru only "factory tints" tribeca's. the rest is a stick on port tint.
    i think if i want to be able to have a " Stained' factory tint i should be able too. at leaast most other car companies offer that, :lemon:
    Actually, any "car" does not come with factory tint, I believe it's a safety issue regulation. The Tribecca and Forester are considered ligt-trucks and thus can have factory tint.

-mike
  • dave1620dave1620 Member Posts: 10
    2001 Legact GT wagon with dual sunroofs. It recently started leaking out of the extra shoulder belt assy. I thought it would be difficult to access the headliner, but not the case. Most everything snaps apart. ( and together, I hope)- Three pieces of trim and a few brackets later I was able to lower the headliner enough to get a look. Quite a cluster up there. Turns out that the small hose connected to the passenger side sunroof drain-is that what it is?- had come loose. It is very close to the shoulder belt. Problem solved, I guess.

Where does this hose exit the vehicle, and where is the drain in the sunroof? I can see nothing that resembles a drain.

Great car--also have an 07 Forester.

Dave............
  • dave1620dave1620 Member Posts: 10
    I'm sorry--posted in wrong discussion
    I have read my manual and looked around forums. I am getting mixed information on when to do my first oil change. Some say after 3000miles, while others say after 1000miles. So i'm writing this post to see what you subaru owners are doing and which alternative do you guys recommend?

One more thing: is synthetic oil recommended on the first oil change?
    3000 for the first change. Don't go to synthetic until 10k miles.

-mike
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    Does anyone have access to the owner's manual or other manual that could shed light on the following:

Does the system protect the hatch and hood, in addition to the doors?

Does the system "chirp" when arming and disarming?

When disarming, does the system exhibit a different sequence of chirps or light flash if the alarm had been triggered in your absence? ie. instead of chirping twice, it may chirp 5 times, etc.

In some earlier Subie models, if the alarm had been triggered, you can identify what had been opened or tampered with by way of a sequence of flashes of an indicated light on the dash. Same for 2008 Legacy and Outback?

Can the system be programmed for passive arming?

Thanks in advance.
    No hood sensor, I know that.

As for if it lets you know, you may want to try leaving a door window open and locking the car. Then open the door from the inside and let the alarm go off. Then see what it tells you.

As long as you lock the doors it's passive, it works based off the locking mechanism.

You can have it chirp or not chirp, your choice.

-mike
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    "As long as you lock the doors it's passive, it works based off the locking mechanism."

Ok...I know what you mean. But what I meant was could it be programmed to arm and lock by itself after all the doors are closed. IIRC, some earlier Subies had Alpine-made security systems that could do that.
This discussion has been closed.