Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Subaru Legacy

1235»

Comments

• andymentandyment Member Posts: 7
    I have a 2008 Legacy 2.5 limited that's making this whistling sound from the engine bay when I hit 70-80mph. It's not there when I go under 70 or over 80. The sound goes away when I press on the gas, but comes right back when I let off. Any insights? Thanks!
  • pilot1226pilot1226 Member Posts: 166
    Hiya,

I've been in the market for a new car for a little over a year now, and I've had a very conservative approach thus far. I've test driven several different cars, from the Toyota Prius, Nissan Sentra, Hyundai Elantra, and Subaru Outback.

I'm currently driving a 2000 Honda Civic LX (Automatic, 87500 miles) that recently has been making some odd noises and other little things that are making it start showing its age. Aside from the timing belt maintenance (suggested by the dealer at 65000 miles/5 years), I've been up on everything else and have the maintenance records available, it's in pretty good working condition save for random noises that come and go every few months (I check the fluids, cables, nothing seems to be low/worn/etc.).

I'm at the point now where I've decided Subaru will definitely be the manufacturer of my next car. I originally was a little uneasy about the 170hp engine only getting 27MPG, but the safety of the All-Wheel Drive vastly outweighs the extra 13MPG I typically get with my Civic - especially after I've been doing 360's down major highways during rain and snow up here in New Jersey.

I'm torn between whether or not I should go for the 2008 Legacy or wait for the 2009's or 2010's. I've seen on multiple forums that there's a redesign right around the corner for the Legacy, most suggest 2010 for the change (larger chassis, VDC standard, etc.), but 2009 only has minor cosmetic upgrades like sound.

Regarding VDC, I could take it or leave it, as all it is is Acceleration Slip Reduction which has been on Volkswagens for years, and I don't peel out ever when I'm accelerating so this is more or less a moot point for me.

So, again, here's what I'm trying to get an impression of with this thread:
    1. Is it worth waiting for 2009-2010 (is there a major model change around the corner?)
    2. What is the typical maintenance cost at the dealer (average, slightly cheaper, slightly more expensive)?
    3. Do you prefer the Subaru dealer for service?
    4. Any other thoughts or comments regarding the model?

Thanks!
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    2010 is the re-do so 2009 will likely only get very mild changes.

Between a 2008 and a 2009, I would take the deal on the 2008 right now. Unless the 09 doesn't cost any more (they should arrive very soon).

The only extra maintenance is to change the fluid on the rear differential, which takes one quart of gear oil (80w90). It's not hard to do at all.
    Okay, some good advice there then, thanks. I haven't done a single oil change on my car, mostly because the Civic's very cramped inside (had to have a friend help with headlights)
    The good news is there is an active Subaru Crew community here on Edmunds, we can help with stuff like that.
  • ylzylz Member Posts: 45
    Hello eveyone. I'm interesting in buying a new car and I have narrowed it down to a 2008 Subaru Tribeca or a 2008 Subaru Legacy GT. I know they are two totally different cars but I love them both but I was wondering about the gas mileage. The Tribeca takes regular gas and averages 21mpg on the highway. The Legacy GT takes premium gas (I believe) and averages 24mpg highway. Now my question is am I better off with the Tribeca or Legacy in terms of gas mileage? And I have never owned a car that uses premium fuel. Do you really need to put it because I heard of people getting away with using regular. Let me know what you guys think please. I have driven the Tribeca by the way and love the smooth ride. Have never drove the Legacy GT yet but I heard it's fun. Any thoughts? Thanks.
  • woodyboywoodyboy Member Posts: 10
    My 08 GT MT gets 20-21 around town and 28-30 on the road according to the onboard computer. I don't think it is completely accurate but close. I drive it in both the S and I mode. The car has around 7000 miles. It is a great car! I really enjoy it.
    Per the EPA the Leg will still do better. Annual fuel costs would be about $166 less. They make a lot of assumptions, but that's one reference.

I don't think 45 cents per day should sway your decision either way, buy the one that puts the bigger smile on your face.

Definitely stick with at least 91 octane for the GT. Around me, Sunoco sells 87, 89, 91, and 93. So 91 octane is actually cheaper than 93 at those stations. May be worth looking into...
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    2010 will be significantly larger than the 05-09.

-mike
  • kmaurerkmaurer Member Posts: 48
    1. Is it worth waiting for 2009-2010?

I would say, in your instance, where you not "needing" the VDC to get a 2008. I bought a Legacy Limited in March (for the VDC), and got a very good deal, even with Subarus being very popular in Utah.

2. What is the typical maintenance cost at the dealer?

I've done some reasearch on the 3 Subaru dealers close to my home. Their prices for service are about the same as any other dealer.

3. Do you prefer the Subaru dealer for service?

I live in a condo, so I can't do my own maintenance. I generally use the dealer for convenience - I work right next to an automall, so I can drop the car off in the morning, or get oil changes done during my lunch hour, etc. Talking with other Subaru owners, there are a lot of good independent mechanics out there.

4. Any other thoughts or comments regarding the model?

My Legacy is the first Subaru I have owned. Overall, I really like it, especially in the snow. The interior will be considered "cramped" by your average american. I think the interior is just the right size - not too large, not too small. It has adequate power, but honestly, I was expecting more given the size of the engine (I don't have the turbocharger). The leather on my Limited seems of good quality. The auto climate control is "wierd," and I have to do a lot of manual adjustment as I'm driving.

Overall, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Subaru.
  • ylzylz Member Posts: 45
    Ok well I decided my next car will be a 2008 Subaru Legacy and I have a question. Do I go with with the GT Limited or 3.0? Someone told me the 3.0 was a smoother drive which is nice. But the GT has more torque which is also a bonus, plus that hood scoop just looks cool. Has anyone driven the 3.0? Impressions? Let me know what you guys think. Thanks.
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    You've been doing 360's down the highway, but you don't want VDC? :confuse: VDC is regarded by many as even more important in accident avoidance than ABS brakes.
    Haha, yeah, I've had a few times where - even on brand new tires - I've ended up doing 360's down the highway because slush got kicked up by the traffic in the middle lane and thrown under my front tires.

I was VERY impressed with my recent Legacy 2.5i SE test drive. I don't want the limited, nor do I want the 3.0 liter engine because of fuel economy and a personal preference (I don't like leather, especially in summer)

I wish they had heated seats with the cloth interior.

Thanks for the great replies! Crunching the numbers back and forth with Subaru dealer near me and hopefully will be a proud owner of an `08 Legacy.

It's my understanding that VDC is ASR, or acceleration slip reduction, this prevents too much power being transfered from the engine to the wheels, which will eliminate the "peel out" jackrabbit starts. If it does something else, maybe I'll wait for `09's.
  • dcm61dcm61 Member Posts: 1,567
    It's my understanding that VDC is ASR, or acceleration slip reduction, this prevents too much power being transfered from the engine to the wheels, which will eliminate the "peel out" jackrabbit starts. If it does something else, maybe I'll wait for `09's.

VDC is Traction Control plus Stability Control.

Stability Control will attempt to keep you in the direction you intended to go. This is done by either applying the brakes to a specific wheel or reducing engine power.
    VDC is also ABLS which is Anti-lock Brake Limited Slip which creates a pseudo LSD in both the front and rear when slippage is detected either in the front or rear axles by applying a brake to the slipping wheel.

-mike
    Interesting. Do (we) know if VDC is a standard feature on the `09 Legacy 2.5i's, or if it'd be at least an option? Sounds like something too important to pass up if it's available.

Auto-start though, hmm, just can't bring myself to do that. If there was a dealer autostart built into the keyless, perhaps, but I don't want an aftermarket thingie.

Thanks for the responses. When are the `09's due? July?
    I'm pretty sure they made VDC standard on all 09 Legacy/Outback models. 'Bout time I say.
    Source: http://www.drive.subaru.com/Sum08/Sum08_OB_Leg.htm

Information:

STANDARD STABILITY CONTROL

For 2009, the Subaru stability control system – Vehicle Dynamics Control (VDC) – is standard on all Outback and Legacy models except the Legacy 2.5GT Limited with five-speed manual transmission. The system helps to prevent skidding due to understeer or oversteer by managing individual wheel braking and/or reducing engine power to correct the slide. This system adds to driver control of the vehicle, improving active safety.

End Quote.

Fantastic! 2009 it is - even if it's more money because it's an `09 and not a leftover `08, VDC appears to be well worth it - I mistakenly thought it was JUST ASR (which isn't new technology).

Thanks!
    Cool.

Wonder why they didn't put it on that one single model? Strange. Maybe they wanted one model where people who did not want it to have an option.
  • cptpltcptplt Member Posts: 1,075
    when Subaru first offered a ESC as a standalone Bean VDC model , it was always coupled to the VTD system and I recall discussion then that the VDC could not be done on a stick shift but they are offering VDC on the stick shift Spec B!! I this purely marketing or is there some engineering issue?
    It's a marketing term. I bet the hardware varies between models and depending upon the AWD system in place.

Shoot, early on, it was a model name, too, i.e. Outback VDC.
  • nfnnfn Member Posts: 3
    Hi everyone,

I recently purchased (and enjoying) a 2008 Spec B. Looking for comments/answers to the following:

1. I will be purchaing a set of winter wheels/tires. Are there any issues going to 17" wheels with 205/50/17 tires? (the speedo reading will be off by 2.1%, which I think is within an acceptable range)

2. When it's time to replace the stock summer tires, will 235/40/18 fit the stock 18" wheel? Any clearance issues going to this option?

3. Re Oil changes. When is it appropriate to start using synthetic oil for the 2.5 turbo engine?
    Also, would Castrol 0W30 or Mobil 1 0W40 synthetic be okay to use rather than the 5W30 currently suggested in the owner's manual? (I use the Castrol and Mobil 1 in my A4's 1.8T engine, as these appear to be the 'best' oils for turbos to prevent sludging.)

Thank you,

Nick
    What I've heard on the forums:

Better to go to a synthetic sooner than later. I'm pretty sure Mike (Paisan is his user name) has said some gasket problems surface if you use conventional for a long time then switch to the synthetics (because synthetics are smaller, uniform molecules and they slip through the gaskets since the gaskets are "used to" the larger molecules of conventional)

Reference the different wheel sizes, if your speedometer is off, then most likely your odometer would be off too. This would affect the mileage on your vehicle.

I personally haven't switched to a purely seasonal tire, I prefer all-season since we only have a few days of bad snow yearly here in New Jersey. The rain is more of the motivation behind purchasing a new `09 Legacy.
    I am thinking of adding the Subaru hi performance exhaust, cold air intake and heat shield to my 08 GT. I know this is subjective but is it worth it? (about $1500 installed) I have been quoted 30 HP and 30 ft-lb torque increases. How loud is it going to be around town and highway cruising? Does it increase dirvability by bringing the torque on earlieer in the rpm range? Thanks in advance for your input!
    Ok a few answers for you guys...

On the Snow Tires:
    I'm in NJ and use summers and snows.
    If going to summers I wouldn't go narrower than 215-45-17, as that's stock. I run Nokian Hakka RSi snows and they are GREAT in the snow/slush/rain we have here in NJ.
    On Synthetics- I would wait to 5,000 miles before switching and wouldn't switch after 60-70k of regular.

On the SPT Exhaust, I have it on my 05 wagon, it gives you a bit more power and throttle response and has a nice tone. I happen to know the manager of SPT who designed it and it's a nice unit. The actual increase is 12hp/15lbs of torque at the wheels, so not sure the 30/30 is correct at the crank or not.

-mike
    Thanks Mike and pilot1226 for your responses.

I have seen excellent reviews on the Nokian RSi, so I will definitely keep them in mind when choosing a winter tire.

I will wait until the second oil change to convert to the synthetic.

Nick
    Mike,
    Do you have the high flow air intake and heat sheild as well as the SPT exhaust? The parts guy at the local dealer gave me the SPT brochure and that's where he quoted the 30 HP and 30 ft-lb increases for using all three products together.
    The brochures do not include any dyno numbers. Since I have inside info I've seen the dyno charts and it's 12hp/15lbs on the SPT Catback. With the intake and heat shield it is 15/15, they really only give you more throttle response than anything else. If it were 30/30 at the wheels then it would be in the realm of STi territory at the crank.

-mike
  • phenphen Member Posts: 1
    Is it easy to fix?
    I have installed the Cat Back and cold air intake on my 08 legacy GT. It seems like the torque curve has changed. It feels like less on the low end and more on the high end of RPM. Does it take awhile for the computer to learn the new system? It's been about a week. The cold air makes a whoosh sound as it trys to draw air in and the turbo spools up. I think I may take if off and go back to the stock intake if there is not much performance difference. Also it seems like my mileage has dropped off. Comments from anyone???
    Yup when you do an intake it will make more torque/hp, marginally (I checked the brochure and that's max of 30/30 at the crank) but with an intake it will be at the cost of low end torque. This along with a higher flow of air (more air, means more fuel) will translate to lower milage.

I'm planning on doing a Cobb DP and the Access Port. Just found out that the "stage 2" map bumps you to 305hp/385lbs torque at the flywheel. Those are some gains that would be nice to see.

-mike

PS: I might be interested in your intake, although I am not a big fan of intakes.
  • legacygt07legacygt07 Member Posts: 1
    Guys, i would really like your input on this one! I have just recently received a 2007 legacy GT, what would be the best intake brand for this car? Also what would be the best combo performance wise for the best price?

Thanks, Austin
    Mike,
    Sorry for the delay. For some reason replies to me are not coming to my email. I just happened to stumble across yours. My direct email is woodward-slc@comcast.net

I definetly notice the low end torque loss, but I feel it come on a little stronger as the turbo spools up. I think I am going to remove the intake and go back to stock. I do not track my car (yet anyway) so I would rather have the low end.

If you are interested in SPT intake and heat shield they have only been on the car about three weeks. I paid $270 for both. What would a fair price be if I pay the shipping?

Also I notice a stumble in acceleration as I climb through 4000 rpm. I have not asked the dealer about it. Any ideas?
    I have the SPT exhaust and intake on my 08 GT. I think I am going to go back to the stock intake since I do not track my car. I don't know what the effect will be just running the exhaust. I will check it out and let you know in the next week or so.
    I currently run the SPT cat-back exhaust only on my 05 LGT. I notice a slight stumble when the turbo hits around 3-4k rpms. I noticed this after I put in the SPT exhaust. Speaking to my friend at SPT, he said basically the freer flow has the turbo hit a little harder and that's what I am feeling on partial throttle.

I'll shoot you an e-mail or shoot me one to mike@iace.com on the intake, I'm not sure I want it either!

-mike
    Motorsports and Modifications Host
  • outback08outback08 Member Posts: 9
    For some reason the 3.0 requires premium fuel - kind of crazy now. So I went with the 2.5 which is fine around town and fine when you're cruising on the highway, but at times it feels sluggish especially when you're cruising at 70 and you have to slow down and then get back up to speed. The 2.5 also has to work pretty hard when going up hills.
  • outback08outback08 Member Posts: 9
    I owned a 2003 Forester and the radio would sometimes shut off or not turn on. I'd have to shut the car off and then the radio would turn back on. The dealer couldn't do anything about it. I lived with it until I traded the car.
    Hi everyone,

Edmunds forums have been a wealth of information for me over the years so I'd like to "give back" and provide a report on my Legacy Spec B.

I purchased the vehicle in May 2008 and have approx 12,000 km, (6000 mi).
    Spec B are very expensive in Canada, ($45,000 Cdn). I did not intend on buying a Spec B but (due to the high Canadian $), Subaru was offering $7000 off for cash purchases. I paid $500 over invoice, minus the $7000 and I traded in my 2000 Forester.

Interior:
    The interior rivals our Audi A4 in build quality and materials. The Sport Seats are comfortable and the Alcantara keeps you in place during spirited driving. The interior lighting is very nice at night.
    Interior space is sufficient for my family.
    Nav and info display are very good.
    No complaints with the HVAC.
    The Legacy's cabin is a nice place to be in.

Exterior:
    The Diamond Gray color looks sharp and the 18" wheels look great. IMO it rivals any of the European and Japanese spots sedans in exterior looks.

Driving experience:
    Handling is excellent, power is more than sufficient.
    The steering is touch lighter than preferred. I attribute this to the the car only having 215 tire width. I might try a wider tire when the stocks are replaced.
    The 6-spd feels smooth and the clutch light with a nice catch point.

Mileage:
    Better than expected. Average is 10 liters/100 km (approx 24 MPG) I drive 100 kms (60 mi) per day, in a mixture of highway and downtown city driving.

Two complaints:
    1. There is a rattle (actually more of a clicking sound) in the dash in the glove box area. Not sure if others have experienced similar noises. I plan on returning to the dealer to have it looked at, (I have been hoping it fixes itself but no luck).
    2. One day it was raining and I went to a drive thru bank teller, which had a canopy. Upon rolling down the window a stream of water poured into the car, (what the...?). Well, it seems there is no channel in the roof of the Legacys, as in many cars, so the water tends to flow into the car when the roof is wet. Not a biggie, but a surprise the first time it happened.

At this price point I would have expected to see the following on the Spec B:
    1. HIDs- The headlights are fine, but HIDs give it that 'premium' look. HIDs are standard on the base Tribeca but not the higher end Spec B, very odd.
    2. Auto Up-Down for, at minimum, the driver and passenger. Currently only Auto down on the driver.
    3. Trunk release handle/mechanism on the trunk, (to open trunk). Grab handle to close the trunk.
    4. Stereo sounds good, but it could use a sub woofer and a couple of extra speakers.

As with any Subaru, I am looking forward to drivng it this winter. I have purchased 4 Toyo Garit KX winters, 215-50-17. I had to buy alloy winter rims as steelies are not available in 17".

This is a great car in so many respects and I do not regret the purchase. I have received several unsolicted compliments from strangers. Friends have commented, "... wow, THAT'S a Subaru.
    There are so few Spec Bs on the road that I think people take a second look when they first see it.

Overall the Spec B is a great driver's car. Even with my minor complaints I would definitely recommend it.

Apologies for the long post.

Nick
  • caliberchiccaliberchic Member Posts: 402
    Thanks for the great review!~
    I really like those and you reminded me why.
  • bigearz1bigearz1 Member Posts: 20
    Hey,

I was reading on this forum somewhere that someone tinted their windows and started to have radio signal issues awhile back as the antenna is on the back windshield. So i was just wondering is this a common issue and how do I go about avoiding this issue and still getting my windows tinted??

I'm thinking about 35% all around or even a little bit darker.
  • robsisrobsis Member Posts: 162
    I have an 09 (essentially the same as the 08) and tinted the rear and passenger windows with 3M dark-Medium and the front windows with 3M light-medium. No issues at all with the antenna and radio reception. I also have a Toyota with the antenna in the rear window and the tinting there has never been an issue with that vehicle, either....I'd say just go for it....have never heard of anyone with this problem, at least here in Arizona, and we tint a lot of windows here.

HTH

Robert
  • bigearz1bigearz1 Member Posts: 20
    Hi,

Recently I have tried to do my own tire rotation for 2.5i limited. I jacked up the car and loosen all nuts.. Manage to pull the front tires out with ease. However when it came to the rear tires, I was unable to remove them. Is there a special way to remove rear tires or am I just not pulling hard enough? - I did not want to force the issue as the fronts were so easy to remove.

In addition, I have Yokohama Advan A82. From what I have read you're supposed to take the front two tires and just move them to the back on the same side. As for the rear you do a "X" like formation (ex. rear passenger side to front driver side)

Any help will be appreciated
    There is probably rust on the hub and the wheel seized up.

Try some penetrating oil and tap lightly with a hammer (with a piece of wood between to protect the wheel). Careful - make sure your jack stands are very secure and do not get under the car.

Before you mount them again, clean the rust off. Not sure what you could spread on there to prevent that from happening again, maybe some anti-seize or brake caliper lube (on the face only, not on the threads of the lugs).
  • calista77calista77 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 Subaru Outback 2.5i that has 43000 miles on it and is just now getting the head gasket replaced. I'm happy that it is still under warranty, but upset because I thought Subaru had addressed this issue with previous model years.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,788
    It happens far less frequently now, but it can still happen to any EJ25 engine due to block design limitations. Only a revised gasket and the coolant additive make gasket failure less likely than in previous years.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
This discussion has been closed.