Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Tribeca 2008

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Well, MSRP isn't very meaningful.

2007s were selling for about $33k loaded up, with DVD and NAV.

08s just came out but wait 4 months, I bet they'll be close to that.
  • kuohkuoh Member Posts: 15
    I'd love to find a dealer in the midwest that would sell a loaded 2007 Limited with DVD & NAV at $33k. They sticker for over $39k and they don't seem willing to let em go for less than $36K after incentives. One dealer even tried to pawn off a demo with 9k miles for $36k. The demand must be a bit higher for them here than in the southern and warmer coastal states.

KuoH
    Fly out here and drive it back. ;)

Too bad fitzmall.com ran out of them.
  • scouziscouzi Member Posts: 28
    There's plenty left in New England.

www.sne1.com

This lets you search across 6 states.
  • morey000morey000 Member Posts: 384
    If your local dealer can't get close to this pricing,
    it only costs about $500 to ship a car. The selling dealer will generally be happy to arrange this for you.
  • nickelnickel Member Posts: 147
    In the SOA page you'll find the dealerships. Someone is going to bite if you go the last day of the month.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Just got back from our Father's Day meal eating out. In the resturant's parking lot was a brand new dark bronze '08 Tribeca Limited. Even more strange was this out out in the sticks of western Maryland. Several other people were checking the car out too.

Also saw an older Tribeca on the road heading home.

Bob
  • msuvetmsuvet Member Posts: 54
    Bob,

I know it's subjective, but what did you think of the bronze color?

Christina
    I like it a lot. It looks very good.

Bob
  • lipanjlipanj Member Posts: 5
    Hi, I originally was going to purchase an '07, but decided to wait to see and drive the '08. Test drove the new model and like it so much more. Bought a Bronze '08 Limited NAV, and going to pick it up Thursday night...just can't wait.
    Congrats. I tested one too and anyone who samples the new engine will buy an 08 over an 07 if it's even remotely within their budget.
  • borneoborneo Member Posts: 11
    Congratulations on the purchase! I'm still undecided re buying a new 07. Can you share with us the price you paid for your 08 and any negotiating tricks? Thanks!
  • eric102eric102 Member Posts: 122
    Very nice! zippy engine, smooth tranny, decent looking (finally), nice handling and a reasonable price when they get down to invoice.

The wife liked it better than the Pilot and Mazda CX-9 which surprised me since she is a hard core Honda lover.

I'm 6'3" and one problem I had was that once I adjusted the seat for comfortable leg room, the steering wheel was a little bit of a reach, not terrible, but it needs a telescoping column for the long legged.
  • eric102eric102 Member Posts: 122
    From Joe Spitz's site:

"6/23 Canada: 2008 Tribecas will include Xenon HID headlights and manintenance for 3yr/60,000km. No price increase. These features are not included with US spec models."
  • fmayberryfmayberry Member Posts: 33
    eric102 - I noticed the very same thing. The lack of a telescoping steering wheel makes it too far away. Not the end of the world, but I would like to not keep my arms straight out all the time.

Strange as the 08 Outbacks have both a tilt and telescoping steering wheel in the upper models.
  • jeffmcjeffmc Member Posts: 1,742
    Subarus are way overpriced in Canada... not even HIDs & free maintenance make up for the huge price difference vs. US.
    Some people simply demand HIDs (not me), so Subaru should at least make it a stand alone option on Limiteds.
  • jeffmcjeffmc Member Posts: 1,742
    Yup, I agree. (I'm fine with the halogen projectors, too, BTW.) As you know, Subaru's not one to offer many stand-alone options, but it sure would be nice. It can't be that difficult for someone who really wants HIDs to order and have someone install the Canadian parts, but most consumers wouldn't even think about that, let alone want to deal with it.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    They don't have HIDs available on the Spec B which is the flagship car, highly doubt they'd have em on the Tribecca before that in the USDM.

-mike
  • pschreckpschreck Member Posts: 524
    Saw an 08 on Saturday while at the dealership for an oil change.

Woof. Sorry guys, but this is just too much. They took away ALL the character. It looks like a Ford, or worse yet, a Dodge. :cry:

I realize that the original was a little over the top, but Subaru really went too far in the redesign in my opinion. It's right up there with castarating your dog because he did a dance on the neighbor lady's leg at the Fourth of July picnic.
    Check out the shoulders, the concave panels. The vehicles you mention don't have either of those.

The old one shocked us so much this one just seems that way.
  • kuohkuoh Member Posts: 15
    The front and rear ends makes up most of the character, and are the most recognizable features in this class of crossovers. From the side, it has always looked like Murano, so the front grille helped to make it distinctive. From the front, it now looks like a Ford, Hundai, Saturn...take your pick. From the rear, well at least it's still plain looking, but I haven't spent much time comparing it to the others.

It maybe the same inside and have a better engine, but let's face it, saying it's still distinctive from the "shoulder" or whatever other lines in the body is like saying someone can recognize you while you're wearing a full face motorcycle helmet in a crowd of others dressed the same. If they knew you well, perhaps they could tell, but for most other people, you'd look just like anyone else. That's pretty much what the 08 is now, just another characterless CUV.

KuoH
    Well, the old look was love/hate and not enough people loved it to go buy one, so we can't blame Subaru.
  • pschreckpschreck Member Posts: 524
    I neither love nor hate the frontend of my 06 Tribeca. I know that without it I wouldn't have gotten such a good deal. People weren't buying and my dealer was dealing to move them. If we hadn't been offered a good deal we would probably be driving a Pilot right now. Honda was dealing on them at the time and we could have had one for less than the Tribeca. It was my wife that loved the look from the start and I love Subarus AWD system more than the goofy Honda AWD system.

That said, I have grown fond of our 06 frontend and still recieve plenty of gawks to this day. I don't know whether the gawks are good or bad but I still like them.

I do believe that Subaru had to do something to tone it down a bit. I simply feel that they went a little too far in their quest to satisfy the nonbuyers. I'll get used to the 08 just like I got used to the 06.
  • css1css1 Member Posts: 247
    That limo is hilarious.

Though I gotta say, I've never liked stretch limos based on curvaceous designs. They just don't look right.

The Forester limo actually looks better (scroll down a few pics).

0-60? SOTP says about 7.5 seconds or so.
    That fast, I suspect it would be slower.

I agree - the Forester does look better - maybe that's the '09

Which do you think looks better - an 08 Tribeca with or without the roof rack?

I like the 06-07 without but the 08 ..... ??

My Tribeca lease comes due in DEC. - already received a letter from the bank with my options.

Although the Tribeca is on top of my list a van like yours is better suited to my business. Since it will also be used as the family car my wife is dead set against another van..........maybe because we lived with one for 9 years.

Oh well, I've got 5.5 months

I hope all is well with you and everybody else in the crew.

Charlie
    The new one is blockier so the roof rack looks less out of place. I like them because they visually lift the car, make it look taller.
    Another one-sided and biased rant on the Tribeca from Farago. :(

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/?p=4154

Question: If SOA has banned him from getting test vehicles, where did he get this one?

Bob
    Bob,

This guy doesn't deserve the attention.

Charlie
  • yankeewhaleryankeewhaler Member Posts: 2
    Well im a sold newby.. I order a white limited 5 psg with nav on friday...Turning in an off lease forester, no comparison. Ive seen several people compare the Hyundai Veracruz..My second car is a kia Sorento ex.also made by hyundai..The warantee sounds good on paper but lots of little stuff is not covered...or at least the dealer wants to charge for them...Ive had no problems with it 4 years and 44000 miles..
    Subie will be for the wife..Hyundai doesnt offer Navigation.. once you have it youll always want it..
    Likes on the 2008..styling ( no advark nose, interior dash and front seat comfort.Radio and heater controls are easy to use thats a big plus for the wife. still needs improving on the door arm rest, there too low and the quality thunk sound on closing the door..
  • morey000morey000 Member Posts: 384
    I'm an owner and lover of the 'beca, but he does effectively capture the low points of the vehicle. He just doesn't appreciate the multitude of wonderful features and capabilities of the Tribeca.

I think his prose is a hoot. Ya' just gotta' enjoy comments like "...unwillingness to shift would test the patience of an opium addled Maharishi". And frankly- it's dead-on. The beca is a slow shifter.

You'd think he'd at least once mention that Subie has the best AWD system in the biz, or the 5-star crash ratings. Oh well. I dunno'. Perhaps he likes the styling of the Highlander. (zzzzzz)
    He sure sounds bitter. I'm sure he just talked in to a dealer to grab one for a quick test drive.

Subaru told him get in line just like everyone else!

Any how, he says the profile looks like a RAV4, huh? :confuse: Maybe the 06-07 model, but certainly not the 08.

While the Pacifica ain't a hit, it was a successful product, it's just a bit long in the tooth. So I disagree with the "failed product" comment.

Lexus RX rear? Where are the Lexus-standard clear tails, then?

He makes no mention of the 16mpg city being the 2008 EPA numbers, as if he doesn't even know about the changes.

Note that no other reviewer panned the interior like he does nor did they complain about the ride.

A lame review from a bitter reviewer.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,763
    It certainly sounded bitter.

Getting the “old” Tribeca to move out of its own way was like asking an inceberg to dance.

What is an "inceberg?" :P Seriously, though, the way he reamed the car makes you think he must have spent the prior week driving performance cars. I wonder what he would have said about a Chevy Tahoe.... Hahah.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • nycb9nycb9 Member Posts: 30
    Hi everybody,

My Subaru dealer has sent me a letter offering to buy back my '06 Tribeca at $2,000 over book value because they have a need for their used car market. They're offering to upgrade me to an '07/'08 Tribeca. I love my '06 but would LOVE to get an '07 with the mesh grill, up front AUX connector and memroy seats. Don't dig the '08 at all (except for the interior, of course!)

What do you make of this? I wouldn't think anyone would go near the '06, considering the improvements made in '07 and '08.

???

Thanks...Joe
    Go for the '08. It's a much better car than the '07. You'd be foolish not to at least test drive one.

Bob
  • movedormovedor Member Posts: 65
    It is a marketing gimmick. No dealer has 'need' for used cars. What they really want is you to buy a new car.
    If you are really interested in the 08, I suggest you call them asking for price on the 08, do not mention tradein or the letter. With that price in hands than you can see if you are really getting a good deal on the your 06.
  • caliberchiccaliberchic Member Posts: 402
    I agree! Great advice. Research what true trade in value is on your vehicle so you are armed with knowledge before negotiating a trade.
  • marilynwmarilynw Member Posts: 24
    I'll be in line too! I have the 2006 5 pass limited. tribeca, and went to the showroom to see the 2008. I was told to hang on and wait for cash incentives. They said there should be one soon! They already have cash incentives on the '08 Outback. As soon as they have one I'm there! Deciding on the Newport blue pearl, or diamond metallic grey. I currently have the champaign gold opal, so I'm looking for a change.
    WOW.

You have one honest dealer there, Marilyn.

They're a keeper, for sure.
    I will do my usual thing, and point out the errors.

First off, he quotes the base price for a 7 passenger model, not the cheapest model.

2nd, anyone else notice the 2nd row is not all the way back? That makes it appear that rear leg room is tight, when in fact he's not using an extra 4" by sliding the 2nd row all the way back.

That's just the video, too. :D
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Anyone who listens to a car review from CNET is hillariously funny IMHO. That's akin to Car and Driver reviewing Gold Equipment!

-mike
    They should be qualified....to review the GPS system and the Bluetooth feature. Maybe test if it plays MP3s burned on a CD-R. LOL

I imagined a review more like this:

The ECU has serious processing power, though we wish the OBD2 computer had a bit more memory, and Subaru should add some fault-tolerance redundancy to the VDC computer as well.
    :D
  • nickelnickel Member Posts: 147
    Funny thing. A year ago I almost bought a Tribeca, but my wife wanted the Sienna. Today, while considering if I should change my 06 Outback finally I took a test drive. My impression: I was not impressed. Power can be enough, but not more than the Sienna. More, I felt that pulling was not that strong.
    Strange thing that happened was when going over 4,500 rpm the stability system light came on, and power was shut momentarily, this happening at least 5 times. Maybe is because the car only had 30 miles on the odo. That test drive was taken with a salesman besides me, so the guy, who knew way less than I do about Subaru, was telling me the highway was slippery (sunny 88F, liar).
    Inside, nice, like the former one, just for me the wao factor wasn't there. I think it has fell behind on my list. I even think an OB XT can do the trick for me.
  • kmartinkmartin Member Posts: 427
    Very strange. Just a thought: is it possible the dealer hasn't properly completed the PDI process on the vehicle, and something's not hooked up right??? That might explain the lack of power issue you experienced.

-Karen in AZ-
    We just bought a brand new Sienna, and I test drove the 08 Tribeca, which was on my short list. We decided we needed the extra space and are waiting for the 09 Forester to trade our other car on.

So anyhow, I've drive the van all the time, and have driven a couple of Tribecas back to back.

In terms of acceleration, neither sacrifices anything. In fact I think both engines are excellent, Toyota's 3.5l and Subaru's 3.6l.

Handling goes to the Tribeca by a long shot. The van is softer riding, but feels tall and just doesn't encourage you to drive hard like the Tribeca does. The Tribeca is more fun, the van more practical.

Our van has a folding tray for a center pass-through, and we may actually buy a center console from the XLE model because I miss having covered storage there. So because of that, some folks may actually find the Tribeca more comfortably snug.

The van is the opposite, the seats are very wide and flat, good thing the arm rests hold me in place.

All in all, I'd say the van is better for passengers, but the Tribeca is more rewarding for the driver.

Given this was our family car, I was unselfish and got us the van. I have a 2nd car to commute in, so the sacrifice wasn't too bad.

If I had to drive one single vehicle all the time, though, I would have chosen the Tribeca by a long shot.
  • greyhoundgreyhound Member Posts: 10
    I have been waiting literally years for something to come along to replace my aging 93 Jeep Grand Cherokee with. I wanted style, quality, sporty handling, great visibility, at least 70 cu ft cargo w/ second row down, room for 4 adults plus 4 sets of golf clubs or skiis inside, excellent winter traction, and at least 18 mpg overall, non-behemoth size, non-Donald Trump-class price range. No one vehicle is perfect, but the 2008 Tribeca comes close enough.

I bought a 2008 5-passenger ltd w/Nav on Sunday and have no regrets.

greyhound
    Congrats, greyhound!
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Congrats! I hope you'll critique your purchase experience at our new Dealer Ratings and Reviews feature!