Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Tribeca 2008

Comments

• mcq1mcq1 Member Posts: 103
    The navigation in the Tribeca is not very good and it doesn't have bluetooth or hands free calling.
    All the other items that you mentioned are excellent.
  • morey000morey000 Member Posts: 384
    I drove the two, one right after the other. The Santa Fe was nice, but the Tribeca drove so very much better, it was really no contest. The chassis stiffness, handling and road feel of the Tribeca just outclassed the Santa Fe. Plus- as was just said, you can get them cheap. Way below invoice- so the price difference isn't very much.

it was an easy decision.
    Have you driven the Ford Edge? Wonder how does it compare to the Tribeca. I am going to try to test drive a Tribeca this coming weekend.
    I would like to have bluetooth or some form of free hands calling but not at the risk of choosing quality.
    Thanks.
  • jeffmcjeffmc Member Posts: 1,742
    Haven't heard too many complaints about the Tribeca's navigation, it's mid-grade, but certainly not high-end. There are some other nice features that are built into the computer and accessed through the touch-screen, though.

Yep, integrated bluetooth would be nice, and will probably show up on the '09 model or sooner, since Subaru JUST started offering it with the brand new Impreza model. On the other hand, you can get a quality aftermarket bluetooth kit for $100-$200. Example:
    http://www.crutchfield.com/S-xA6noeqIVMW/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=280050&I=333CK30- - 00E
    Not as seamless as a factory setup, but at least it's a possibility. A quality aftermarket installer (or perhaps someone on Crutchfield's customer service call center) would probably be able to find a solution that'd be workable for you.
  • glaxglax Member Posts: 10
    I don't think the Santa Fe has rollover sensor airbags like the Tribeca
    No. I never drove the Edge. It's nice looking, but it wasn't going to meet my personal 'off road' needs.

Although the real question you might ask yourself is...
    Can you live without puddle lights? :)
    I hate to sound silly but I really don't know what puddle lights are!!!!
    The other issue is mpg. The tribeca has the lowest mpg when compare to the Edge and Hyundai.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    IMHO it compares more closely to the Hyundai Veracruz.

The Veracruz is much nicer inside than the Sante Fe. Check out the soft leather seats for instance.

Those are close. The Santa Fe is nice for a budget SUV, but it feels decidedly down a notch from the Veracruz and Tribeca IMO.

Subaru resale is great. After 9 years my Forester got me an impressive 35% back compared to what I paid for it. I bet a Hyundai would be closer to 20%, maybe even 15%.
  • toboggantoboggan Member Posts: 283
    We are now a 2 Subaru family! Picked it up late this afternoon. Started at 13 miles and put it in the garage with 58 miles. Will add more miles tomorrow after Rain-Xing the windows.

Like the ride and the smell of new leather. Got the 7 passenger (for the grand kids). Also has the towing kit. No Nav system or puddle lights. Already have the Garmin 2720 GPS that we transfer between the motor home and Outback.

Also got the floor mats, mud guards (we live on a gravel road) and rear bumper cover. Monday getting a stone/bug sheld for the front of the hood installed.

Now I get to learn about all the goodies on this vehicle and then do some road trips to build the miles. Gotta program that garage door opener so I don't have to fumble around for a loose opener.

Oh, much happiness... :P
    Can I ask you what you pay for it? I am still thinking Tribeca,Ford Edge, Santa Fe???????????????
  • msuvetmsuvet Member Posts: 54
    Gold Metallic

Could you post a picture?

I'm trying to decide between the blue and the gold...
    You can see a few photos of a Newport Blue '08 here:
    http://www.cars101.com/subaru/tribeca/tribeca2008photos.html

Also keep in mind blue is only available w/gray interior, and gold is only available w/beige interior. So if you have an interior color preference, that may help you decide.
    You can find some recent prices here:
    B9 Tribeca: Prices Paid & Buying Experience

Also, fitzmall.com will give you a good idea of the lowest pricing that's available out there. A quick check shows their prices range from $28,092 for a 5-pass "base" model, to $35,108 for a 7-pass "Limited" w/DVD & navigation. Their prices are a good target to get your dealer to match.
    As a lifetime member of the National Ski Patrol (retired after 37 years patrolling) I got a special deal through Subaru and the National Ski Patrol. So the amount paid for it "does not compute." ;) Sorry 'bout that :)
    In the interest of speediness got to this URL for the color:

http://www.subaru.com/shop/configurator/step2.jsp?model=TRIBECA&trim=LIMITED7PAS- S

Have to find the camera to take a picture of the Tribeca in the sun. By the way, this color is only available in the Limited models.
    Thanks, Jeff.

They have a blue one at my local dealer, so I've seen that color in person.

I have a hard time transferring on-line graphics to real-life, so pictures of a real car (in lieu of 'in person') is helpful.

I liked the champagne gold that they had for the outbacks last year, I'm not so sure about the "harvest" gold metallic (didn't they run that color name by some market researchers first ;) )

I do prefer the gray interior, so that may be enough to sway me...

And good point about the base models only being available in blue & silver. I went to the Subaru website a few weeks ago to look at the colors again, and hurried through the links. I just chose the first model, which is the base 5 passenger, and wondered where the other colors went :confuse: . Took me a while to realize I had to go to the limited models to see the other ones! (which I'm planning on getting)

Christina
  • budrewbudrew Member Posts: 16
    I just test drove a 2008 Tribeca today and loved it! I currently have an '02 Outback LLBean. Drove really well and I was surprised by the get up and go. Was used to my Outback and with the Tribeca I nearly left rubber on the road when I hit the gas.

Plan to buy one soon. The dark gray with gray interior. Really nice!
    Wow that is good news. I am also considering buying one. I was also thinking about the gray exterior with gray interior.
    Thanks for the info.
    OK, took some pictures this afternoon to show the color "in real life.". The car is slightly dusty (live on a gravel road).

The Tribeca drives so nice :P Really wished it was towable behind the motor home on all four's. As of tonight have about 250 miles on it. Had to pass a slow vehicle this afternoon and was doing 80+ real quickly. :)
    Very very nice. Let us know about the gas mileage. How it does? I pretty much have my husband convinced that this is the car that we want to purchase. We keep our cars for 10 years plus so I do need something with quality and reliability. I think Subaru is the ticket.
    Congratulations!!!
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Very nice. I like that color a lot. Keep us posted as to what it's like to live with—and compare it to the Outback in your garage too.

Bob
    Sweet, congrats!

Gold is a VERY smart color in terms of being low-maintenance and hiding swirl marks. It will always look clean!

I'm a bit jealous, I'll admit!
    Thanks for the pictues!

Looks very nice "in real life" :P
    Soon may be upgrading my Outback to the Tribeca.

Is there a difference in the cabin between the 5 and 7 passenger versions, meaning, seat maneuverability, space usage, etc? other than trading the third row in the 7 passenger model for the storage space under the floor in the 5 passenger model?

Still looking at the 08 Highlander too, but just can't feel the love yet. To me, the Tribeca has more personality and looks better.
    For 2008, they took out the "safety feature" where they limited how far back the 2nd row could go.

So on the 7 pass models you have to hit a release knob to get the extra 4" of travel. The 5 pass model goes all the way back, no more release knob.

Minor difference. I think they're also missing rear A/C, though.
    Is the interior easy to keep clean? I wonder about the light color leather.
    ??
    Great thanks! I'm not sure what we would end up with. My brother suggests the third row model would have better long term resale value.

We just test drove a Highlander Limited. Nice and all but passionless. The ride was too floaty and the steering with the new electronic control is all wrong. It felt wishy washy. The inside was nice, but had a plastic-ey feel to it.

The Tribeca felt far more responsive and comfortable. I like the steering wheel of it too; it felt better in my larger hands. And the exterior looks far nicer to me than the blah Highlander.
    I didn't either until I saw them. Puddle lights are white LEDs that are mounted below the doors. they shine at the ground so that you can see where you are stepping at night.

they also go on with the remote (which works from 100 yards or more on the tribeca) and make your car look very cool as it's sitting in the parking lot as you approach it.

I don't know how truly necessary they are... but they give a great 'wow' factor.

Re:
    #258 of 278 Re: Why Subaru Tribeca? [morey000] by mcq1 Sep 12, 2007 (9:04 am)
    Replying to: morey000 (Sep 12, 2007 8:15 am)
    I hate to sound silly but I really don't know what puddle lights are!!!!
    This is from Edmunds. Let me know what you think about this final comment.

Driving Impressions
    In contrast to the rugged, fun-to-drive character found in most Subarus, the Tribeca's personality is more subdued and maybe even a little disappointing. Handling limits are low due to the Tribeca's softly tuned suspension and ride-biased all-season tires, and the steering, although accurate, is slow to respond and low on feedback. For these reasons, Tribeca drivers will likely prefer to take corners at a modest pace. The upside, however, is that Subaru's SUV delivers a very smooth and quiet ride. And thanks to its new engine and revised five-speed automatic transmission, the 2008 Subaru Tribeca also provides sufficiently quick acceleration for a midsize crossover SUV.
    Sounds like someone just crawled out of a WRX and then drove the Tribeca.

Drive a Highlander, then a Tribeca, and the latter will feel like that WRX. :D
    I agree. The Tribeca felt far more responsive to me.
    I drove it back to back with a Volvo XC90 and a Murano SL. It's a lot sportier than the Volvo and even a little sportier than the smaller Murano, which surprised me a bit.
    I just want someone to tell me that the Tribeca is the best mid-size suv crossover out there. I know it doesn't have the best gas mileage but I am not buying for that.
    What else comes close?
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,762
    Speaking of the Outback in the garage, you should really consider purchasing a tandem-axle trailer for towing your Tribeca. Saves quite a bit of wear on the toad. Since you then do not need the Outback, you could sell it to me... :P
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    "What else comes close?"

It all depends what you want. Obviously, there's no one "best car" out there. Some cars are generally better than others, but everyone has their own individual criteria to meet, and every vehicle stands out in different areas. Need a big 3rd row? Go for a Pilot or Saturn Outlook. Wants lots of high-tech gadgets? Go for Infiniti, Lexus, Acura, or maybe Nissan Murano. Want good handling? Probably the Tribeca & CX-9 would be standouts. Want a low price? Perhaps the Santa Fe. Want good looks? Well, for me that'd be the XC90. Want good fuel economy? How 'bout a Highlander hybrid? Want the best all-wheel drive? Go for Tribeca, an Audi, or an MDX.

Personally, if you can stomach the looks & the price, I think the Acura MDX is a strong match to the Tribeca. (The huge emblem on the front of the MDX is a bit much for my tastes.)

Tribeca's strength is that is does well in many areas and offers good value for the quality of vehicle you're getting. Weaknesses are probably 3rd row space and lack of high-tech equipment. Subaru's long been a brand with high-tech underlying engineering without too much high-tech gadgetry to drive up the price, which appeals to me.

Choices, choices. :) List & rank your priorities and then see how your top choices fare under those criteria.
    Thanks so much. It makes sense. Make a list of your choices and go from there. I was thinking about the tribeca because of what you said high-tech engineering.
    I live in the Gulf Coast so I was thinking about a vehicle that would handle all kinds of weather and a bit higher than let us say a car. I have driven an SUV for so long that I can not see myself in a car.
    The Santa Fe appeals too me because you get so much for your money but on the other hand no rollover sensors.
    I don't need a 3rd row seat--no kids. So then I am looking at price and good engineering.
    Okay got to go do some test driving.
    "Okay got to go do some test driving."

Ahhhh, the fun part! :D

Just to throw another thing at you... if the price on the Tribeca is really deterring you, have you considered an Outback? A little smaller than Tribeca, mostly in the back seat area. You still get good ground clearance (better than many crossover SUVs... in fact, I think it's 1/10 of an inch more than Tribeca!!), good cargo space, great AWD system, and ride height taller than a car.

For a top-of-the-line Outback 3.0R LL Bean, you'd save about $2000 vs. a Tribeca 5-passenger Limited. Fitzmall's offering these for just under $28k. (Add about $2000 to either Tribeca or Outback to get factory Navigation system.) With Outback you'd also get a dual-pane moonroof (very nice... see the photo!) and SI Drive (controls your choice of 3 engine modes for varying degrees of sportiness or economy).
    Outback's interior is also quite handsome:
    Gas mileage - lower than the Outback :cry: As soon as I can figure out how to use the computer to tell me the trip mileage I'll have a better idea. Since the motor and drive train are still getting broken in, the mileage looks to be about 15mpg overall. By 5,000 miles the mpg should be higher.

Driving impressions - It's not a sports car. But feels controlled on the roads around here. Soft enough but doesn't feel sloppy or that "it's going to roll over" feeling. Not pushing it yet as we haven't hit 500 miles yet. Had to do a quick pass the other day - 80mph came up really fast. The new motor has more "dig" than the old motor.

Inside the car - We got the 7 passenger model (the LTD for the roof rack, color & other goodies) which has the rear A/C control. The 3rd row seating is for children. The 2nd row, with the 3rd row in use, has legroom for more petite people. We also have the rear mesh netting and the "summer" floor mats. The car came with some nice heavy duty black rubber floor mats (there are hooks to hold the front mats in place). Also got the cargo cover. We'll "run" it most of the time configured as a 5 passenger. Also going to get the 5 passenger cargo tray to keep the back area clean. Monday there will be a bug/rock deflector installed on the leading edge of the hood. I've had these on 2 vehicles with good results. Oh yeah, also had the mud guards and factory tow kit installed when it was built.

The Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) is also included. This appears to be the problem with getting new wheels with winter tires installed since I'm in a snow belt (90+" a normal winter season). Going to research this a bit more

That's enough for now. I'll keep y'all informed on how things are going.
    Well you are late. I went and test drove the Subaru 2008 Tribeca this evening. Wow Wow it is pretty darn awesome. I was very impressed with how it drove. The interior is refined and polished. I think this is the car for me. The car drives so well that you forget about the gadgets. I don't have navi now so I doubt that I will miss it.
    I think I will go for the Tribeca without the gadgets and just buy me a Garmin or something like that.
    They had a Gray Diamond metalic with light gray interior that I loved.
    Thanks for the photos. The Outback sounds nice but I really liked the Tribeca in person.
  • avery1avery1 Member Posts: 373
    Why do these get such bad gas mileage compared to a Lexus RX 350?
    Quote: Why do these get such bad gas mileage compared to a Lexus RX 350?

So what's the Lexus RX 350 mpg (guess I'll have to check the web)?? Does the Lexus have full time AWD? My '98 OBW 5 speed consistently gets 23mpg overall at the speeds I travel. The OBW has gotten as high as 30mpg at speeds under 50mpg on the highway.
    Just Googled.....

2008 Lexus RX 350 | New Lexus SUVs — Yahoo! Autos
    2008 Lexus RX 350 — Yahoo! Autos. Read reviews, view specifications ... V6, 270-horsepower engine that achieves 18-mpg in the city and 23-mpg on the highway ...

IIRC, the 2008 Tribeca is "certified" for 16-21mpg. :P

Remember, the Feds decreased the expected mileage for the 2008 model year. I'm certainly not going to quibble about a difference of 2mpg. :)
  • css1css1 Member Posts: 247
    The RX also comes in FWD. I believe the 18/23 is for the FWD

Just checked the Lexus site- AWD is 17/22
    It doesn't say but I believe the RX requires premium gas - My IS 250 does.
    Glad you had a great test drive. :) You know it's right when you go with a vehicle that you fall in love with AND is reliable and practical. Tribeca does have a bit more substantial, high-end feel than Outback, which is more understated inside. Gray-on-gray would probably be my top choice, too. The Diamond Gray is one of Subaru's best colors, I think.
  • avery1avery1 Member Posts: 373
    I have a '99 RX 300 AWD and I get 20-22 on the freeway and about 17 in town with a 3 speed and overdrive using 87 octane. In reading the RX350 postings they seem to be getting considerably better mileage still using 87.
    There is no 'best' car. There's really only the best car for YOU.

The Tribeca was the best car for ME. I chose the Tribeca because-
    1. I loved the road feel and driving experience.
    2. Has a better AWD system than the other crossovers
    3. 8.5" of ground clearance (I go off road from time to time)
    4. Luxury interior and feel at a reasonable price.
    5. Just the right size. (for ME) I wanted a 5+2.
    6. Great turning radius.
    7. Safety. Safety. Safety. IIHS best pick. 5-stars front, side, rear. And great handling and stopping power.
    8. Reliability
    9. Backup Camera!
    10. Styling. I have the '07 and I love the 'unique' styling. Sure- I wish I had the '08 engine, but I'm not sure I would have gotten the '08 tribeca as the styling is too mundane.

That said- the vehicle isn't perfect. The radio/electronics could be better, for instance.
    I just want someone to tell me that the Tribeca is the best mid-size suv crossover out there

That's a loaded question! :)

I think it thrives in these areas: best AWD out there, interior styling, character, reliability, value (street prices).

It's only about average in these areas: fuel economy, towing, interior space, visibility.

Below average - can't think of any to be honest. I guess I wish it had paddle shifters on the steering wheel, a 6 speed, and a 300hp/450lb-ft diesel that got 30mpg for the same price, but no other SUV does all that so I must be dreaming! :D
    A 1999 RX 300 AWD has 220 horsepower/ 220 torque compared to Tribeca's 256 horsepower/247 torque. Tribeca delivers roughly the same fuel economy as your RX 300, and has over 10% more power. Of course, the Tribeca's also 8 years newer. Subarus often seem to take 15,000 miles or so to really "break in" in the engine, so it's possible some of these new owners will see increases in mileage over time.
    Actually, that engine was re-rated at just 190 SAE HP, which is the measure used for the Tribeca. So the improvment is even more pronounced.
    Thanks for the correction, juice.

Hopefully Tribeca will see a little bump in fuel economy with direct injection in the 3.6L H6 in a couple years. There's always room to improve.