Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Tribeca 2008

Comments

• batman47batman47 Member Posts: 606
    I am British with relatives in the USA. I would like to order a 2008 Subaru Tribeca to tour the USA, Canada and Alaska. I have learnt that the Tribeca is only manufactured in the USA. This may mean that Right hand drive vehicles are also manufactured in the USA for export. I wonder if I could order a Right hand drive instead of a Left hand drive vehicle in the USA. I will appreciate it if someone could give some hints/clues as how can I do this order?

After touring the Americas for approx 1 year I expect to ship the car to the UK on my return and drive it in the UK so it is more convenient for me to have a right hand drive. Any information to this respect will be highly appreciated.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    You might want to check with a UK Subaru dealer to see if you could get US delivery. Although registering it and inspecting it here in the US as a non-us car may be an issue.

-mike
    Perhaps my message was not clear enough. My main intention is to buy the CX-9 in the USA not in the UK. After I drive the car in the USA for a year then I will ship it to the UK. I would like to know if I can order a right hand drive CX-9 in the USA.
    You should post in the CX-9 forum then. This is the Tribecca one! :)

If you are referring to buying a Tribecca in the US that is a UK spec one (RHD, etc) my educated guess would most definitely be NO. That's why I suggested purchasing it in the UK from a UK dealer and try to convince them to let you take delivery in the US. Highly doubtful also but worth a try.

-mike
  • alakersonalakerson Member Posts: 9
    With only 2000 miles on it, my my wife's '08 became the rear-end victim of a Dodge Ram truck. This guy hit the corner of the car rather than the back full-on, with the result he then slid along her left slide, shattering both the window between the C and D pillar and her driver's window. The resulting list of parts and labor is four pages long, and at least count, about $9,000

My problem is that the body shop was just told by Subaru that Subaru will not "release" the replacement glass until mid December, and that it is made in Japan. Then there's shipping time (slow boat) customs, further transportation. We have purchased 13 Subarus over the last decade or so, have convinced my brother to buy two more. We have never run into anything like this with the normally responsive Subaru people until now. Given that (I think) the Tribeca is built in Indiana, this whole thing sounds bogus.

Has anyone had -- and solved -- a similar problem with Subaru? Thanks much.
  • verdugoverdugo Member Posts: 2,286
    Given that (I think) the Tribeca is built in Indiana

I think assembled in Indiana is more accurate. Look at your window sticker and look at what percentage of parts comes from Japan. I'm sure it'll be high.

Hope you get your Tribeca back soon.
  • morey000morey000 Member Posts: 384
    Sounds like you're going to need someone to help you out on this one.
    Start with your dealer (to whom you'll then praise to Subaru Of America (SOA) if they can pull some strings). And contact someone at SOA customer service.

Given the number of Subaru's you've purchased and recommended, they should be doing backflips to help you out. But frankly, you may be able to garner more action out of Subaru than the body shop you're working with.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    I'm suprised you can't get the glass. Call a dealer or a glass shop to see what is the real story is.
    I've seen this before with other cars, not uncommon for a new car. I'd try a local glass shop, where they can probably make it for you.

-mike
    Would someone have some idea of the 2008 Tribeca “lateral inclination-degree”, “climbing capacity-degree” and “fording depth-inches”? The Tribeca specifications does not mention about this characteristics. Some figures could be very useful for those unexpected off-roof challenges.
  • avery1avery1 Member Posts: 373
    You must certainly have some adventures if you go "off-roof" in a car.
    The tribeca is not made for those kind of offroading events. Angles of approach and departure as well as fording depth are not really aspects where this vehicle excels...

-mike
    There are some characteristics that make a car capable to go off road, I think. For example the VW Touareg 2 which is a car with off-road capabilities has the following feature: Transfer Case, Center Differential, Limited Slip Differential Rear, Limited Slip Differential Center, Looking Differential Rear, Locking Differential Center, and Descent Control. The Tribeca has Center Differential, Limited Slip Differential Rear, and Limited Slip Differential Center. The Tribeca has more off road stuff than the Toyota Highlander, Toyota RAV4 and the Honda Pilot. These features may give the Tribeca an edge advantage when an off road encounter is unavoidable.
    Just because the Tribeca has the technologies for AWD, it doesn't mean that it's a good off road vehicle. I'm sure the Tribeca will handle easy dirt roads.

However, if you're concerned about approach/departure angles, the Tribeca might not be suited for what you need. It would help if you tell us what kind of off roading you have in mind.

Oh, and I don't think anybody considers the RAV4, Highlander, or Pilot off road vehicles.
    I'm as much of a fan of Subies as the next guy, and love to offroad, but the Tribecca is simply not the vehicle for it, nor is the VW Toregue either for that matter!

-mike
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Tribeca has good clearance but the long overhangs mean the approach/departure angles are not good.

Keep it on the road, where it can handle deep snow pretty well.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    I have yet to read anything about Touareg being bad off road. The only thing wrong with the Touareg as an off-roader is that it has no full-size spare tire. Other than that it's as good or better than anything in mid-size SUV class. Plus it can tow 7715, something no other mid-size SUV can claim, and that's with any engine choice.

Bob
    I am thinking to take a log journey to Dead Horse in Alaska and tour British Columbia and Alberta next June. Explore some tracks and fields round these areas. The Toyota FJ Cruiser or Nissan Xterra is too much off-road for the type of adventure I have in mind. These off-roads (no leather heated seats, no fog lights, not flat folding seats, 5-passengers only) cost 2K less than the Tribeca 7-passenger although they have the same average petrol consume.
    I'd go with the XTerra.

I like the FJ but that's a scenic trip and you just can't see out of the FJ. ;)
    Have you considered a Jeep Grand Cherokee? No worries about off roading, all the comfort that you're looking for, and right now prices are really good.

I just got a Grand Cherokee, but also looked at the Tribeca. I decided against it because it's not good for off roading. Take a look at the Land Rover LR2, although, it might be a bit small. The 08s SE have $3k dealer cash. Of course, both don't have a 3rd row seat. If you need a 3rd row, the MDX might be a good compromise.

Let us know what you get. Enjoy your trip. It sounds pretty cool.
    The rear suspension of the Nissan Xterra is not independent and it has poor rollover resistance. Perhaps I will use a car for off road 3-5 months a year and 9-7 months in the city to move the family on road. The Mitsubishi Outlander and the Mazda CX-9 plus the Tribeca are therefore out of question then?
    I do not understand how the Acura MDX could be better car to go to Dead Horse in Alaska when the off-road stuff in the MDX is equal than the Tribeca and the MDX has not ventilated rear discs and signal mirrors. The MDX (Xenon lights) price is 7K dollars more than the Tribeca.
    I have yet to read anything about Touareg being bad off road. The only thing wrong with the Touareg as an off-roader is that it has no full-size spare tire. Other than that it's as good or better than anything in mid-size SUV class. Plus it can tow 7715, something no other mid-size SUV can claim, and that's with any engine choice.

Bob

http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/roadtests/131_0605_2004_volkswagen_toureg_v8/index.- html

Basically they say it's a nice on-roader....

Let's be honest, MOST SUVs these days are not going to be good offroad. The toureg is no better. As for the towing, the wheelbase is fairly short to tow much more than a boat or low-trailer at 7000+ lbs,

-mike
    I do not understand how the Acura MDX could be better car to go to Dead Horse in Alaska when the off-road stuff in the MDX is equal than the Tribeca and the MDX has not ventilated rear discs and signal mirrors. The MDX (Xenon lights) price is 7K dollars more than the Tribeca.

The disc brakes and signal mirrors and xenon lights don't have anything to do with offroading.

-mike
    Also don't see the VW listed as one of the best 4x4s ever...

http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/featuredvehicles/131_0606_best_4x4_trucks/index.htm- l

:)

-mike
    You are right but why to pay $7,000 more for something that will provide the same driving characteristics that the Tribeca with less price. If the Tribeca cannot go to dead horse then the MDX cannot go either.
    I remember the MDX having decent approach/departure angles. I forget what they are, but you can look them up.
  • nickelnickel Member Posts: 147
    For what you need in my humble opinion are the Toyota 4Runner, the Nissan Pathfinder or the Grand Cherokee. All have excellent discounts right now. Also, with the most discounts the Jeep Commander.
    Good call on the 4Runner. I forgot about that one. I drove a rental Pathfinder for 1500 miles on a trip that was mostly highway, but it did have some moderate off road. We weren't impressed with it. I like the Grand Cherokee much better.

You can't go wrong with the 4Runner or Grand Cherokee. The 4Runner has 3 rows available.

Enough off topic. Back to the Tribeca.
  • jeffmcjeffmc Member Posts: 1,742
    Well, I can contribute some Tribeca stats, but don't have the experience to comment on their relevance for light offroading:
    Angle of approach: 18.0
    Angle of departure: 21.1
    Ramp breakover: 18.5
    Ground clearance @ tailpipe: 8.4"
    The 4Runner with options (e.g. roof rails +) increase the prices from $36,000 to $40,000 and I don’t know if the ride on-road is like a modern car. It also suffers of poor rollover resistance. The Grand Cherokee has reliability problems, petrol hungry and too much turning circle. As a member of this forum said "let be honest" there is not at the moment a car that can have an honest off-road characteristics as well as on-road smoothness. The solution is to have a car that can be shifted manually from one to the other seamlessly.
    It is a pity that the VW Tiguan “Track and Field” 5-seats will be no imported to the US next year. This vehicle has proper off-road characteristics that can be activated manually when the situation arise. It has an angle of 28-degree (approach) and 25-degree (departure). The Tribeca 2008 went down from 18-degree to 16.5-degree with the new nose design. The Tiguan has a sophisticated hardware and electronic mechanism that made this change to happen. The mechanism affects the AWD and the front and rear suspension simultaneously. VW America said that it will only import this car if there is enough realistic demand for the car. So you see there is a car that can have realistic off-road capability and on-road smooth behavior.
    Never said it was the "best" Mike. Except for it not having a full size spare and possessing the always questionable VW reliability, I would have no qualms taking a stock Touareg any place you would take a stock 4-Runner, Pathfinder, Grand Cherokee, etc.

Bob
    I dunno bob, I haven't seen many of those offroad either. Unfortunately, most SUVs, the ones above included are not real good offroad out of the box.

I'd be more apt to take a FJ or Xtera offroad than any of the above.

I'm sorry but having done 1000s of offroad (mind you not dirt or unimproved road) miles, I have to respectfully disagree with you on this one.

I'll defer to you on designs and astetics as well as on-road handleing of vehicles as that's your specialty, not so sure about offroading though.

-mike
    Consumer Reports rated the 4Runner quite highly for on-road performance.

I think the Grand Cherokee has improved a lot in reliability, but if you feel it hasn't that's ok.

However, your comment about the turning radius is incorrect. The turning radius for a Grand Cherokee is 37.10. The one for the Tribeca is 37.40.

I do believe the 4Runner and the Grand Cherokee fit the bill for what you're looking for (even if the price or perceived reliability might not).

I wasn't totally off topic, I did talk about the Tribeca :)
    Being objective here, I'd say compared to the Tribeca (on topic :) ) the 4-Runner, Grand Cherokee and the Pathfinder will better suit your needs. However they will also cost you more money in an equivalent trim, especially the 4-runner.

-mike
    Mike

The Touareg is used off road all over the world. Don't go by what you see here in the United States. I mentioned 4-Runner and Pathfinder—and I'll include your Armada too. I didn't mention the FJ or Xterra, but I'm sure the Touareg can hold its own against them too. Note: I didn't say it's "better" than those, but it won't embarrass itself when it's in their company either.

I also bet you don't see many Range Rovers LR2 or Range Rovers either being used in the boonies here. The people who buy those vehicles (and the Touareg) here in the USA usually aren't found slogging through the mud to prove a point.

You have no idea as to my off-roading abilities, or experience—so don't even go there.

Bob
    Since you're off on another ego trip and have no respect for my off-road knowledge, I'll let this 12+ minute video of the Touareg going off road do the talking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmGoY0Y0ljU

I can except your opinions Mike—I just don't agree with them. Happy Thanksgiving.

Bob
    I wouldn't include my own Armada in a list of vehicles I would consider good for offroading, soft-roading, yes, but offroading, absolutely not.

The VW I would put in the same class as the Armada, Outbacks, and just about every other soft-roader out there.

The Grand Cherokee, Xterra, and FJ will walk all over the VW offroad.

I guess the MB ML and Rav 4 are also good offroaders? :)

-mike
    You haven't changed Mike. You're still the same jerk you've always been. I'm finished with this discussion—and you as well.

Bob
    huh?

Well I watched the video, and if that's offroading, then I am completely off base in my remarks about offroading. That video was little more than the access road to what would be considered offroading. 99% of what was done there could have been done with almost any of the Subarus, easily with the Outback or Tribecca.

Why call me a jerk? Anyways Happy T-Giving!

-mike
    You haven't changed Mike. You're still the same jerk you've always been. I'm finished with this discussion—and you as well.

Bob

If you are referring to the missing post, I re-read what I wrote and decided it was a poor post and decided to change my response.

I had no idea you thought I was a jerk, odd cause I always respected your opinions on things, heck even think of you as a friend, not sure of why the hostility all of a sudden.

-mike
    The new V8 4.7L in the Grand Cherokee gives 14/19 MPG. I'd agree with you that it's "petrol hungry." However, the Tribeca's V6 only gives 16/21 MPG. It's not much better really, considering how much more powerful the V8 is.

I really like the Tribeca, and if I didn't want to go off road, get HIDs, or bluetooh, I would've gotten it. We had an Impreza and it was great.
    Basically they say it's a nice on-roader....

I'd like to see on-roaders do this
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEXwIQxtI4o

(2003 Launch in Moab of the first generation Touareg)
    Great then I will be OK with my Tribeca going to Dead Horse, Alaska. Thanks mates I think I can relax now a have a good sleep. If the Tribeca can do what the Touareg does in the video then I am quite happy (although I have serious doubts): 22.8' of water, 35-degree of lateral inclination, and 45-degree uphill. I thought my Tribeca was a off-road baby.
    No way can a Tribeca do what a Touareg does off road. But if you're just going on dirt roads, you'll be fine. Have an excellent trip!
  • toboggantoboggan Member Posts: 283
    Nope, it was several weeks before Halloween.

Geeze, didn't realize so many days had passed. Gotta get on here more often.

MNSteve
  • gothicesquegothicesque Member Posts: 5
    Hi everyine!
    I am new to this forum. I just purchased a brand new 2008 Subaru Tribeca Limited 5-Passenger Obsedian Black Pearl color. I live in Pennsylvania. I test drove a few SUV's before deciding on this vehicle. I really enjoy driving it, although it's only been 3 days. So far I put in 400 miles. It has excellent overall design and interior futures. I am especially loving the interior layout and design with operational controls. It runs like a charm and is very quite except some wind noise from the driver side window. The power is more than I needed with lots of horsepower. The steering is very responsive. I had a few people stare at the car and told me what a fine looking car it is. I am extremely happy with my decision to purchase this car.
    I am sure I will have some questions for those of you who are an expert on this car and can give me good advice. My first question is about the Auto Climate Control System. I understand some of it, but when I turn the Auto button "ON" the A/C button also turns "ON". When I turn off the A/C button the Auto button turns off as well. Is it possible to turn off the A/C button but keep the Auto button on? I guess I don't fully understand this complex climate control system. I did read the owners manual but am stil confused. Also when I turn the OFF button on air keeps flowing fron the vent although the manual says that "the outside air introduction mode (air inlet selection OFF) is automatically selected".
    I really appreciate your comments on this.
    Thanks and have a great day.
    When you turn the A/C off manually, it goes into semi-automatic mode so the full auto-light goes off. Basically by turning off the A/C button you eliminate it from using the A/C to get you to the temp desired, so it's considered semi-automatic mode. I was confused on this in my 05 LGT but figured it out over time.

-mike
    IMHO batman nailed it, with 16.5 degrees angle of approach, you're going to damage the front spoiler pretty early on that off road trip if there are ups and downs.