Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Tribeca 2008

Comments

• batman47batman47 Member Posts: 606
    Yes, the approach/departure angle is an important factor in taking a soft off road car to the test. It appears that it is the nose design that govern the off road (soft) capability of a car. I think many people adventure few months on track/fields roads and the rest of the year just take the children to school or shopping. I think any 4WD or AWD with a proper nose design can perform well on gravel or muddy roads. For example in Japan the CX-7 or Cx-9 are sold with noses for off road (soft) adventures. Here are some details of angles: Approach/Departure.

Cayenne 32/25
    X5 25/23
    X3 24/22
    LR2 31/34
    VUE 18/23
    Outlander 22/21
    CX-9 17/21
    CX-7 20/25
    Rouge 22/20
    RAV4 28/29
    CR-V 29/24
    X_Trail 28/25
    Tucson 28/32
    Santa Fe 26/23
    Sorento 28/27
    Sportage 29/29
    Hummer H2 41/40
    FJ Cruiser 34/30
    4Runner 31/24
    Hummer H3 40/37
    XL7 28/23
  • gothicesquegothicesque Member Posts: 5
    I have the 2008 Tribeca Limited 5-Passenger. The catalog said to have 9 speakers but I was only able to locate 4 in front and 2 in back seat area. Where are the other 3? Or is 9 speaker available only for the 7 passenger? I am confused or am not able to look and see.
    Please help. Thanks.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    LR2 stands out as a small, livable alternative.

They're a bit small and pricey, though.
    The Ltd 5-pass 4 dr SUV according to Edmunds comparison it should have 9 speakers. Your Subaru manual should indicate where are the speakers in your car or you may pop up to a Subaru garage and ask them to show you the 9 speakers.
  • verdugoverdugo Member Posts: 2,286
    Look at the remaining 2008 LR2 SE's. They've been discontinued in favor of the HSE trim (19" wheels, spoiler, small covered arm rest, $2k more). There's a $3k dealer cash, and I'm sure you won't have to pay MSRP.
    I'm sure there are deals.

Not my kind of car, but then again I'm not looking to venture off road, either.
  • jeffmcjeffmc Member Posts: 1,742
    Did you find the tweeters located in the ceiling at the rear, on either side of the cargo light?
    (photo from Joe Spitz's cars101.com)

That'd bring you to 8 speakers, and the 9th would be the subwoofer. I believe it's located under the driver's seat for models w/out Navigation, or in a side panel in the cargo area for models with Nav.
    Neat, never realized those were there.

Makes sense to mount tweeters up high like that, I suppose.
  • gothicesquegothicesque Member Posts: 5
    WOW!. I just went to my car and located them. That's neat. 8 speakers plus one subwoofer. Awesome! Thanks jejjmc.
    Now could you also give me advise on my previous post about how to turn A/C button off without turning Auto button off?
    Appreciated. :shades:
    T.S
    I don't really know any more than Mike posted in post #410: "When you turn the A/C off manually, it goes into semi-automatic mode so the full auto-light goes off. Basically by turning off the A/C button you eliminate it from using the A/C to get you to the temp desired, so it's considered semi-automatic mode. I was confused on this in my 05 LGT but figured it out over time. -mike"

I can tell you the system uses the AC to control the humidity in the vehicle, not just to cool the air. (AC removes moisture from the air.) I've got climate control in my Outback, and for the most part I just set the temperature to what I want and let it do its job, using AC if it thinks it needs to. Doesn't seem to affect gas mileage noticeably, so I don't know if there's any big upside to having the AC off. I do find if the dash and center console are cold to the touch, that the system will continue to blow hot even if the air in the cabin is already warm... it's easy to get roasted. Generally the only time I take it off the "Auto" setting is to turn on the defogger.

"OFF" is just the fan, it doesn't close the vents, so yes, some air will still flow through if the car is in motion.

One related tip - leaving it on defog or defog/heat setting while the car is off leaves those vents open for fresh air to come in (which is good). However, often the outside air is moist and over time you'll get condensation or fog on the windshield since the vents are channeling the outside air there. To avoid that problem, turn it to one of the vent or floor settings before you turn the car off.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    "OFF" is just the fan, it doesn't close the vents, so yes, some air will still flow through if the car is in motion.

To follow this up, if I want a breeze blowing/venting from the outside, in the "Off" position, I hit the fresh-air button and you will see just the outside air symbol light up, hit the recirc with the system "off" and you will not get the ventilation blowing through.

I also didn't notice the A/C as being a negative, it helps keep the windows clear on humid days even if it's not hot out. I use the auto with slight adjustments in either the fan or the temp to get it how i want it.

-mike
  • dusty_ddusty_d Member Posts: 14
    Hello all,

Here's how it all began. ;)

About a month or so ago on a night such as this (only warmer) I was happily surfing through cyberspace trying to figure out what the new "baby wagon" was going to be. My current ride (2000 Pontiac Grandprix GT) was just not going to be enough for the baby and our dog.

My wife and I knew it was not going to be a mini-van or one of those rugged off-road type vehicles (she thinks they look like blocks! :confuse: ) when something caught the corner of my eye. What is that?! Is that a Subaru Tribeca? Whoa! new exterior styling, same stunning interior as the old one. Let's see what the world has to say about this sweet looking vehicle. So I looked up "2008 Subaru Tribeca Forum", and I found you guys. Yay!! Best damn site ever. No, honestly!

The previous choice of the Mazda CX-7 took a back seat, as did the Nissan Murano. I now had a chance to own a Subaru, and have the space needed for our new baby and our dog all in an awsome package. What could be better? :shades:

So began the countless hours of poring through the B9 Tribeca forum as well as the 2008 Tribeca forum where I must have read nearly all the posts going back a few years. Working the numbers with the dealers in the area. Day and Night-time test drives followed and needless to say, I was hooked.

Yesterday it all finally came to fruition. My wife and I have secured the deal on a 2008, Diamond grey metallic, Grey leather interior, 5 passenger Tribeca.

Am currently waiting for the dealer to get the vehicle for me.

Looking forward to future conversations with you guys. :D

P.S - I have yet to see a 2008 Tribeca on the streets of Toronto, Canada. Any Canadians out here?

David
    My photography site
    According to the 2008 Tribeca catalogue it seems that only the Limited edition comes with Black-finish raised roof rails and moonroof. Can I order the same roof rails (accessory) for a 7-pass no Limited edition? I don't like moonroof (Limited edition).

Edmunds in its comparison on line establishes that the no Limited 7-pass has cloth seats but they are also heated seats. Is this right?

A 7-pass 2008 Tribeca + roof rails + cloth heated seats - moonroof is the ideal choice for me. Could someone elaborate further on this topic, please?
    Not sure but I thought the cloth seats were not heated.

David: congrats. And by the way, we have an inside joke that most Subaru owners are named Dave. It just happened to be the most common name for members of the Subaru Crew. :shades:

#2 was Mike.
    Thanks for the welcome A.J. It's nice to know I'll have more in common with most Subaru owners than just my vehicle. Give's me a warm fuzzy feeling, it does. :D
    Yeah, from what I've read only the Limiteds have heated seats.
    What about the roof rack rails? Does this rack comes only with limited edition?
    Rack does come standard w/Limited, and I don't see it as an add-on option, but I'd talk about that w/your dealer... somebody's gotta be willing to put the rack onto the non-Ltd model.
    Heated front seats are standard on all versions of the Tribeca here in Canada. 3 different heat settings. Also looking forward to my first vehicle with HID's. They looked awesome when I took the 'beca for a night-time test drive.

David
    You lucky Canucks!

Then again, your prices are higher, too.
    You got that right, over $10000 more after taxes and stuff. :mad: Although Subaru Canada has made a few things standard that are optional or not even available :confuse: for the U.S model Tribeca. I only wish they had given us the option to upgrade to last years "limited" edition chromed rims. I think they would look great with the Diamond grey metallic colour scheme.

I did see that "my" vehicle has arrived at the dealer this afternoon. Should not be too long a wait now. I figure I should have possession sometime next week. Yay!! :shades:

David.
    Cool, I'd be excited too!
  • toboggantoboggan Member Posts: 283
    Congrats, David. We've had our Tribeca (7 passenger Ltd - gold metallic) since late September (just before we left on 5 week trip). So far, we have gotten just over 2,000 miles on it. But our '98 OBW has 113,000, so we wanted to keep the miles from accumulating too fast (it's also our tow-behind for the motor home). We got the 7 passenger so we could haul the 3.5 grand kids. Also got the factory installed tow package.

The 3 speed heated seats are great! Plus it is a great road car. Loves to cruise at 80mph. Not sure about the tires and deep snow (we have a winter storm warning). According to the weather guessers we'll probably get at least a foot of snow by Sunday. If we get lake effect snow (east wind off Lake Superior) there will be even more snow. In that case we can "crank up" the OBW with the Blizzaks if we need to go out to the store. :P

MNSteve
    I'd love to know how she handles in the snow/ice as we get a decent amount of both during the winter. Does the AWD get fidgety? Are the tyres half decent that when combined with the AWD and TC, they compensate for not being winter tyres? Or, am I going to have to take the GrandPrix out with the Nokian Hakkapeliitta's?!

David
    Well, it has been snowing since 10AM with an east wind (not very strong). Looks like about 3+" so far. We put the middle row seats down (the back row is always down unless we're hauling the grandkids) and loaded up a set of 4 Blizzaks for our old Jeep (we gave the Jeep to our son). After delivering the tires, the recycle stuff - cardboard, cans and plastic jugs - were loaded in and taken to the local recycle center. Then over to Sam's Club to get gas and some other stuff.

During this time it was snowing pretty good. The stock Goodyear's seemed to work OK. But you could tell the road was getting slippery here and there where other vehicles were spinning their drive wheels. Felt really controllable. Even broke the rear end loose for fun several times. The only big problem was that the snow was piling up on the wiper blades, even with the front defroster turned on (the temp was 18 degrees F.).

When we got home had to work on the wiper blades to get the ice removed. The rear wiper blade was one chunk of ice (rear defroster was on). Checked 1st Subaru parts and couldn't find any winter wiper blades for the Tibeca. Guess I'll have to check NAPA on Monday. Not going to go out in this snow unless I have to. But then I'd then use my '98 OBW which has the Blizzaks and winter wiper blades.

Would really like to get a set of winter tires on separate wheels. But the TPMS seems to be causing Tire Rack problems. They'll sell you tires but no wheels. We'll have to work that problem.

The weather guessers are saying a foot plus of snow by tomorrow morning. Whee!

MNSteve (there used to be a lot of Steve's on here)
  • css1css1 Member Posts: 247
    Picked up my new 5P Ltd diamond gray yesterday. Much better than the 06 but the most noticeable improvement is in the motor and trans.

Disappointed that the nav does have my street. Disc is dated 2006 for an 08 car.........what's up with that??
    We just got dumped on last night and this morning. Everything from inches upon inches of snow followed by Freezing rain. So there I was wishfully thinking out loud that it would have been good if we had the Tribeca so that we could test it out in such nasty weather, at which point my wife very vehemently procalaimed, "We are not going to take the "new" car out in weather like this!! You take the old one out when the weather is bad." Doh!! ;)

David.
    Hey Charlie, Congrats on the new car. I hope to have possession on mine sometime this week. Dealer has to finish the registration and addition of the accessories I have requested. I did not opt to get the Nav system as I have never used one before. If ever I get the urge to get a nav system, I'll probably just pick up an after market one that is portable and can move between the cars. I did request the auto-dimming mirror with compass though. :)

David
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Hey Charlie, congrats on the new 'Beca! Did you trade the old one?

Bob
    Hi Bob,

Thanks,
    The old one was on a 2 year lease.
    This one is on a 3 year. I still need a family hauler until my younger one starts driving.
    I wish I had a chance to evaluate the new Forester-It's looking real sharp. I particularly like how it now shares design cues with the Tribeca.
  • dcabdcab Member Posts: 101
    Steve,

I bought the recommended winter package from Tire Rack without the TPMS. You can either purchase them for $152 or have the tires mounted and balanced without them. If you buy them with the sensors, you have to have them set by the dealer in both the fall and spring.

The TPMS light doesn't even flash when I'm driving around town; only after 10 miles or so on the highway, and then it's off again the next time I start the car.

The Blizzaks performed great this weekend-big difference from the Goodyears.
    Thanks.

Good move on the Nav - My home street is not on the disk - it's DVD based and apparently they're 2 years behind. The disk is a 2006. Your better off with a portable.

I still have the backup camera and other features which I like - calender, service/repair record and reminder, calculator etc.

What do you think of the "elephant ear " side view mirrors? It doesn't bother me but I'm not used to mirrors that large.

Good luck - You WILL enjoy this car.
  • pmtrepmtre Member Posts: 55
    08 /5 pass lmtd/ after 2 fill ups /avg 18 MPG/ mix of hwy and around town

not bad! Wife loves it !
    Sounds nice.

We may end up with a similar one if the wife doesn't like the Forester (though early signs are she does).
    Hey Tom, Congrats!! What colour did you get? I'm getting a feeling that the Diamond Grey Metallic is going to be a very hot selling colour. It just looks so good. I've been told by my dealer that my car will be available for pickup on Thursday, but I told him I'll be by on Friday morning (I have the day off!) to pick it up. That way I have the whole weekend to get used to it. Can't wait!!

David
    Yes, just talked to a guy at Tire Rack yesterday about winter tires. He recommended the 17" package. Said they could add the TPMS for $35 a tire. Not excited about having the dealer resetting it twice a year. Guess I'll check out the recommended package again. Not sure if I want to spend any for $$ right now.

The tractor that the snow blower is mounted on decided it didn't want to go forward through the snow. Since the tractor is a 25 year old orphan, I'll be getting an ATV with a 60" blade (and other goodies). That means I'm going to be tapped out for a while.

BTW, ordered Trico teflon winter blades from Amazon.com. Seems they have an automotive section. Got a 26" for the drivers side ($25), 19" for passenger side ($12), 15" for the rear ($10). The regular sizes are 26", 20", and 14". Figure those should work OK.

MNSteve
    David, so far the Goodyears seem to ok in the several inches of snow we traveled in today. Plus the ABS works ok too. Boy, I thought a Ford pickup behind us was going to wack us, but he finally stopped. Then I saw a white step "van" suddenly take the shoulder/sidewalk behind the pickup. Whew, too close for comfort.

But with all this snow, the non-winter wiper blades are getting loaded up with snow and are freezing up. Even with the extra windshield defroster on. See my other post with winter blade info. Seems my dealer (only one in the Twin Ports area) doesn't have winter blades for the 2008 Tribeca.

Today we're supposed to get up to 4" more of snow. On top of the 14.5" we received this past weekend. Winter has arrived! Gotta get the ski pod installed and loaded with the skiis and poles. Whoopee!!

MNSteve
    Well, it seems the Tire Rack updated their web site over night. Their recommended 18" package was $1660. After rooting through the web page looking for a 17" package (supposedly a narrower, taller tire), came up with some Blizzaks (DM-Z3, 235/65-17) at $108 each and wheels (Sport Edition F2 - 17x7.5) for $104 each. The TPMS addition would be $38 per wheel. But my wife is telling me we have spent enough $$ for now (money tree is looking a bit ragged :cry: ). Maybe we'll try the stock Goodyear's for a season (we'll see how long this lasts :P ). It looks like a snowy winter so far. :D

MNSteve
  • pmtrepmtre Member Posts: 55
    We got the Black , but she really like the Diamond Grey Metallic too
    You'll be happy! Enjoy
  • morey000morey000 Member Posts: 384
    Not that I really look to Consumer reports to pick a car for me- as I usually have different priorities.

But- here's what Edmunds reported today:

"the news was not all positive for Toyota. Consumer Reports also said separately that the redesigned 2008 Toyota Highlander did not earn the organization's Recommended designation, although it received top scores in a test of four midsize three-row SUVs.

"The Highlander is the first model to feel the effects of a decision by Consumer Reports that it would no longer automatically award Toyota its Recommended designation because its Annual Car Reliability Survey showed several other models had problems," it said in a statement. Only the Ford Taurus X and Subaru Tribeca earned Recommended designations in their group."

So, FWIW, at least we're not the only people that think that the 'beca is an amazing vehicle.
  • movedormovedor Member Posts: 65
    But they also did not put 2008 Tribeca as easy pick because of some negative points: cramped 2nd and 3rd rows, limited driver's leg room, average mpg, long wet breaking distance, etc.

Actually, my feeling is that CR is just barely passing 2008 Tribeca as recommended because of the strong reliability across Subaru's fleet.
    I don't think CR realized there is that release knob to move the 2nd row back another 4 inches.

Note that they complain about 2nd row leg room but specify that's only on the 7 passenger models, not the 5 pass.

Guess what? Use that release knob and leg room is the same for both!

So it's not so much a complaint as it is their own failure to RTFM.

I like CR, but they messed up big time on that one.
    One thing that should be on the Tribeca is an adjustable (in/out) steering. I get the seat adjusted for leg comfort, but the steering wheel needs to be about an inch closer to the chest. Of course, if I had orangutan arms. :P

IIRC the '08 Outback has the in/out adjustable steering wheel.

MNSteve
  • movedormovedor Member Posts: 65
    I do think they realize the button for sliding the 2nd row further back: they also complained that it is hard to reach.

See, CR takes approach from the general consumer point of view, and the general consumer don't RTFM. What I mean they expect things to be easy to figure out.
    That doesn't explain why they only complain about the 7 pass model when it comes to 2nd row leg room. Maybe it was just poorly written.
    I think we can fully expect to see a telescoping steering wheel as well as bluetooth functionality in future iterations of the Tribeca. I for one could care less for either, but that is just me ofcourse. I also did not care for the Nav and the DVD options. Who knows, the U.S models may even get an HID upgrade next year :P (Just joking!)

I love how the vehicle is setup right now, and I am very curious to see what they have in store for the future.

Good times ahead, I'm sure.

David
  • dcabdcab Member Posts: 101
    I bought the 17" package without the TPMS. I think that Tire Rack is now recommending the 18" package because they have only 2 of the 17" Blizzaks in stock.

I'll change the tires over myself and put up with the flashing light if and when it comes on.

I made it through a winter with the Goodyears, but didn't feel confident stopping or in turns (I live in Syracuse and see a fair amount of snow).

The Blizzaks are great. We've had maybe 18 inches since Saturday and have no problems.

I figure that since I'm only using the Goodyears from April to November I'll keep them for many more seasons than I would dare if I were using them year round.

If you decide to spend the bucks, I'd recommend the Dunlops or one of the other 17" tires.
    I like how the car is set up now too.

Yet, if you go to the U.K. site where they are still selling the 07 model, some of the standard features and options are:

Motorized retractable side view mirrors. -standard
    19" 5 spoke wheels with or without tires. - option
    8 WAY POWER PASSENGER SEAT! - standard!! (they benefit because of lower than expected US sales)

It's frustrating to know that these parts are sitting in a warehouse in Indiana and we won't see them in the USA Tribeca any time soon.

The future is already here - we just have to get Subaru to put it on the assembly line for the USA.
  • technoblue2007technoblue2007 Member Posts: 3
    MNSteve
    Measure both front wiper blades (they might be different sizes) and try a nearby WalMart, KMart, carwash or auto supply store. I'm sure you can find winter blades some near there. I don't have a Tribecca, but have a 2007 small SX-4 AWD car & found winter blades at WalMart for $5.88 each at a WalMart near to me. If you haven't ever replaced blades yourself, this might be of help, it shows the usual styles of wiper arms, and has videos:
    http://www.acdelco.com/parts/wiper-blades/installation.jsp
    Good Luck with your snow. upstate NY is is also getting lots.
  • hdutyhduty Member Posts: 5
    Hi,

I just leased a 2008 Tribeca 7 Passenger Ltd. I got it because my wife loves it and I got the right price. There are a lot of things about this vehicle that I like but others that I don't. I'd like to list the ones I don't like to see if anyone else has made the same observations.

1. Need Telescoping Steering wheel.
    2. Arm Rest on doors need to be a few inches higher.
    3. Console arm rest needs to be higher and also slide.

The reason I've listed the 3 items above is because I can't get a really comfortable in the drivers seat. I'd like to rest my left elbow on the arm rest on the door and hold the steering wheel in my hand. The arm rest is too low for this, and even if it was higher, if I have the seat in a position thats gives me the leg room I need, the steering wheel it a few inches too far forward.
    4. The diameter of the steering wheel seems small. If it were a little bigger it wouldn't crowd out the view of the instrument cluster. Plus it feels small to me.
    5. Change the gearing so that it that engine will turn 2000-2100 RPM on at 75mph instead of 2600. This would do a lot to improve the mileage on this vehicle. I'm sure there are several ways this could be accomplished: add a 6th gear, change the ratio of the 5th gear, change the gear ratio in the differentials. I think right now it's got 3:45 gears. Maybe go down to a 3:16 or even something in the high 2's. I'm sure it would still be plenty quick with a 3:16 gear. I can see that others might disagree, so it would be nice to at least have this as an option.

From the sound of the engine when driving at speed, I'm always thinking that it needs to shift up to a higher gear.

Just my opinion. I'd be interested in hearing others on these items.
    Cheers,
    HD