Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Rendezvous

Comments

• kenymkenym Member Posts: 405
    "No light under the hood , need to carry a flashlight now to check the oil:".

Perhaps you could check the oil during the day or when you purchase gas...Been driving for over fifty years and never had a reason to check the oil using a flashlight...

"No light in glove box :".

It really doesn't need one. The center console has a light and a large area to store what ever needs to be stored for the vehicle.

All your issues are kind of petty considering you drive a Ford product that has more serious problems then just removing a few unnecessary lights.

~Ken
  • nidgenidge Member Posts: 18
    You must work for GM. I agree that my complaints might be petty, but true just the same. I can prove it just by comaring it to another RDV in the family. Also, I do not drive a Ford product. In the past I had a Lincoln Navigator. Went thru three trannys and a bunch of other stuff. It is now in Navigator Heaven. Even at that, It was a much better vehicle. End.
    I never worked for GM. However I have had GM products over the years because of the quality and resale value of the vehicles. I totally agree with you, over the years GM has cheapened there vehicles and cut corners same as all the major car makers have, with perhaps the exception of Toyota. However I am retired and can't afford a Lexus RX330.

The last time I checked a Mercury ( your current vehicle ) and Lincoln Navigator are both Ford products. In your last post you wrote "Went thru three trannys and a bunch of other stuff" kind of proves my point about GM. GM may have removed unnecessary lights and cheapened them in other ways but compared to some of the other boards or should I say most of the other boards our Rendezvous is doing just fine. I have a 2002 CX with about 44k and knock on wood no major or minor problems yet.

~Ken
  • theo2709theo2709 Member Posts: 476
    Deletions

(PY1) Wheels, 16" (40.6 cm) aluminum, chrome
      (NW0) Wheels, 16" (40.6 cm) aluminum
      (QKN) Tires, P215/70R16, touring, blackwall
      Exterior color (33U) Light Driftwood Metallic
      Exterior color (44U) Medium Red Metallic
      Exterior color (89U) Light Spiral Gray Metallic
      Exterior color (97U) Cappuccino Frost Metallic

New Features

Exterior colors on CX/CXL: (15U) Cashmere Metallic, (23U) Sagemist Metallic, (63U) Cardinal Red Metallic and (67U) Platinum Metallic
      Exterior color on Ultra: (20U) Blue Frost Metallic
      (QR5) Wheels, 17" (43.1 cm) steel with wheel cover is standard on CX 1SA
      (P23) Wheels, 17" (43.1 cm) aluminum, Chrome-Tech, available on CXL 1SC and 1SD equipment groups
      (N85) Wheels, 17" (43.1 cm) aluminum, packaged on CX 1SB and CXL 1SC and 1SD equipment groups
      Ultra now available in FWD
      (LY7) Engine, 3.6L VVT DOHC V6 is now available on CXL FWD

Changes

(UM8) Sound system, multimedia now includes touchscreen navigation
      (QLR) Tires, P225/60R17, touring, blackwall are now standard equipment
  • bubblegum44bubblegum44 Member Posts: 2
    Just got a 2003 RDV CXL, great vehicle, love the ride, this one very well loaded, with incentives, and GM card, AARP, decent price. When I got to looking at the sticker I was amazed to see that the thing was asembled in Mex. GM has some nerve charging these prices for this vehicle. Even the Japanese can build their cars in the US and still make money. I like the car but am not sure that I would have bought it. In looking at the stickers on some other GM cars, noticed Avalance is also asembled in Mex. I wonder what the people make an hour and what kind of benefits they have (if Any). Like I said like the car Highly disappointed with GM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Mexico has lots of car factories besides GM (like VW in Pueblo) and it has lots of great workers. Growth down there is only up about 1.5% instead of the hoped for 6% annual anticipated by NAFTA, but it's obvious that the standard of living is getting better.

But I'm biased; I just got back from my 5th or 6th trip down there and love it. I'm really smitten by their Dodge AVOS's. And I saw a bunch of Ford Ka's that I swear had Chevy logos on them. What's not to like about Mexico?

Steve, Host
  • olrdvolrdv Member Posts: 53
    It is deceiving for customers like us that bought the RDV as a BUICK, made in USA, to find out that it is made in a foreign country!!! At least the profits will part of the american economy assuming that they will NOT be invested in ...China!!
  • rickrozrickroz Member Posts: 26
    Has anyone purchased a RDV with the nav system. I went and looked at them today and played with it for a few minutes. I thought the screen was a little on the small side, the joystick was pretty simple to use. They had the nav dvd/cd installed in the drive while the system was on. The salesman said it need to be in there to work. I am wondering how you would play cd's and use the nav at the same time? Are the radio controls harder to use with the nav screen vs. the std. stereo set up?
    They also had 7500 off msrp on 2003's, is this a good price?
  • msadamsmsadams Member Posts: 26
    Hi Gang,

I am from a GM family. My Dad and Father-in-law are both retirees. We've always owned GM vehicles and I still do. Why would I risk a nice inheritance? :-) And being disowned.

Anyway, I knew full well going in that the RDV was made in Mexico. But I figured that the extra profits from manufacturing in Mexico would be put to good use in the expensive pursuit of R&D. And where would that be spent? Here in the USA. Or maybe they'd use it to keep my Dad's retirement check coming. Speaking of retirement, all those new foreign owned plants have NO RETIREES to pay for yet! Just wait! They'll have to figure that into the price unless they are doing 401K's.

Also, bear in mind that this migration of manufacturing jobs and plants does not stop with China. The Chinese are losing manufacturing jobs to the rest of the Pacific Rim. Case in point is Taylor Made Golf. They moved manufacturing to China about 6 years ago so they could save dollars for research. But, China is now too expensive for them and they are moving to Vietnam!

As for Toyota, I suspect that they have plants here so they don't have to pay a duty. Or maybe it is too expensive to manufacture in Japan?

FWIW, I am NOT an expert in this field, these are simply observations based on what I've read and heard. The Taylor Made info is from an NPR show on NAFTA.

Lastly, to make this an official RDV post, my 2002 CX AWD has 26,000 miles and no problems at all save for tire wear issues which have nothing to do with GM. I'll be lucky to get 35K miles from these Firestones. I may have to get new tires before winter is over depending how things go here in Buffalo. As of now we've only had a few inches.

Best regards,
    Mark
    K2QO for you hams out there.
    I heard former labor secretary Robert Reich on the radio a few weeks back and he said every country was losing manufacturing jobs due to increased productivity of factories.

Ah, here's a link about his comments:

link

Steve, Host
  • capriracercapriracer Member Posts: 907
    "tire wear issues which have nothing to do with GM. "

Respectfully disagree, it has everything to do with GM. They are the ones who specify the performance parameters, which includes rolling resistance, which adversely affects tread wear. GM is the most aggressive company on rolling resistance, so needless to say, they are probably the worst when it comes to tread wear.
  • moosiemoosie Member Posts: 15
    I test drove a 2004 CXL PLUS this weekend. I found that Buick has been doing a little subtracting since my purchase of a 2002 CXL.
    The 04 is minus some amenities I have like:
    1. No electrochromatic auto-dimming inside mirror.
    2. No second outlet for electrics in the console.
    3. No dual note horn. Only one!
    4. No dividers inside the console.
    5. No rear seat footrests.
    6. No glove box light.
    7. No embroidered RENDEZVOUS on front floor mats.
    capriracer I find your response "GM is probably the worst when it comes to tread wear. " really funny considering you drive a Ford.

Based on your premise that "They are the ones who specify the performance parameters" the SAME can and SHOULD be said about Ford.

One of Ford's most popular SUV's the Explorer had real problems a few years back. Such as tire size being to small for height and weight of the vehicle, and most important the number of people who were killed or maimed because of the tire tread coming off...Was it Firestone's or Ford's fault?

Based on you earlier statement it must be Ford's fault because "They are the ones who specify the performance parameters", And how about the earlier versions of the Ford Focus where the wheels literally fell off the vehicle.

I am not a rocket scientist but just an old retired guy who would rather be playing golf and has far to much time on his hands this time of year. However YOUR claim of GM's problem with excessive tread wear compared to Ford's problems with tires where people actually lost there lives is kind of ironic isn't it.

~Ken
  • capriracercapriracer Member Posts: 907
    The point I was trying to make was that the problems you had with premature tread wearout WAS GM's fault. They specified how much wear was to be built into the tires (or rather, how much was taken out.)

The issue you brought up about tire sizing on the Explorer is a good point. Ford did specify the performance parameters, but they also specified the load carrying capacity (by specifying the inflation pressure). Of course Ford didn't specifically say to build substandard tires - that was clearly Firestone's fault - but Ford did not build in enough reserve (actually it was Zero), which is poor engineering practice, and they deserve some lumps for that. GM does a much better job in this department.

Oh, BTW, I just race the Ford, although my wife would call it driving slowly, since I never seem to win anything.

Hope this helps.
  • carguy1234carguy1234 Member Posts: 233
    Please go read Capriracer's posts on other boards on here before you blast him. He's one of the most respected and informational posters on here that I'm aware of.

Go check out some of his posts in tires, tires, tires, and you'll see what I mean.
    I honestly wasn't trying to blast anybody. I just get a kick out of the Ford guys blasting GM when their home boys are doing a lot more things wrong
    then they are doing on our Rendezvous.

Like I said before I am a old retired guy who would rather be playing golf and has far too much time on his hands this time of year. Hope I didn't offend anybody with that last post and I really hope everybody has a nice holiday.
    ~Ken
  • herbsrdvherbsrdv Member Posts: 4
    Just looked at the Firestones on my 2003 RDV. The wear posted is 400. That's pretty good! The tires should deliver at least 50000 miles unless there is an alignment problem, and they are rotated as specified in the owners manual.(Every 6000 miles) I have over 13000 miles on my RDV and the tires still look like new. Herb
  • brighlzgbrighlzg Member Posts: 6
    Traction control is available on FWD model.

So on AWD model, it is not available or not necessary?
  • melsnymelsny Member Posts: 35
    Traction control on FWD models functions by putting power to the wheel which has traction. On AWD drives power is automatically given to wheels with traction. The feature is unnecessary
  • gss34gss34 Member Posts: 3
    Here is the deal, '03 CXL AWD (Black/Gray) 5,000 miles (GM Employee Lease or so I was told), leather, sunroof, third row, heated seats (should come in handy in GA winters <sarcasm off>), etc. For $23,130 out the door. Good deal?

Where is a good place to look for acessories?
    I will rarely need it so I want to take it out. Is it a big deal to take out and put in? and with it out can you get a mat or storage?

Thanks
    Amazing concept! I found the info about 3rd row seats.
  • hatecarprobshatecarprobs Member Posts: 1
    Help! I have a 2002 cxl with 14,000 miles on it and it's been one thing after another! Brought it home the first day and it was smelling of gas. Brought it back the next day and it was a crushed fuel filter which they said was replaced. The gas mileage stinks I get about 14.5. Brought it back in and they told me it was probably the way I drive! Brought it in 3 times for that.
      The car also killed on me in a parking lot! Thank the Lord I wasn't on the expressway! I called OnStar and they said a code came up they didn't know. Brought it in and they said it was something with the computer which was supposed to be fixed. It has locked on me just getting out! The mirrors no longer move when you park or back out but the latest was on Christmas day.. we had no power at all just dead! Hubby charged it most of the night got up on Friday to bring it in dead again! After a charge we made it into the dealer on Friday. They quickly looked at it and said some electrical codes came up they didn't know so we left it there. We called them this afternoon and were told it was probably the battery!!!!! HUbby said, what about the electrical codes???? Well we aren't sure and are still checking it out. Please share your horror stories and solutions if any. Is Rendezvous french for lemon??
  • herbsrdvherbsrdv Member Posts: 4
    I think that you should look for another dealer that knows what they are doing. That gas mileage is awful.I have never gotten worse than 20 mpg and usually about 22. Maybe I've been lucky but my 2003 hasn't had anything at all go wrong with it. (Keeping my fingers crossed now!) Just turned 14000 miles.
  • duke36duke36 Member Posts: 15
    I have a RDZ 2002 - since last summer I noticed a poping noise coming from under the vehicle after about 30 sec of engine starting - a similar noise can be heard (sometime two) about 5 minutes after shut down.

I mentioned it to the dealer at my last oil change and they applied some kind of service buletin fix in the exhaust- but could not confirm for sure that this would cure it.
    It did not - still does it.
    Just an anoyance, and I do not want to return to the dealer just for that.

Anyone else with this occurrence? and was able to fix it?
    Thanks
  • 90mercsable90mercsable Member Posts: 48
    Hello,
    I have an early prod 2002(06/01)RDV with only 6k miles on it. For two weeks, I had SERVICE VEH SOON display with PARK LAMP OUT in the large display window. Would go on as soon as I opened the drivers door (eng off), and stayed on while driving. Checked every bulb in car, every one worked.

Went to dealer, of course, PARK LAMP OUT didn't appear, but SERVICE VEHICLE SOON came on with engine running - no other message.

Dealer checked it out, found multiple codes and a SHORT in BCM, and replaced it. (And left radio on to a LOUD station I would never listen to-why must they do that constantly? - RUDE - get their own radios for entertainment - let'em blow their own speakers!)

NOW, I cannot get the theft alarm to arm at all. I have NO RED LIGHT on top of the dash, no matter what I do. Tried to get alarm to sound by locking doors with window open, and opening manually from inside , no luck.

Called dealer to ask ?, he said there is a VALET position (for valet parking), and I can click lock/unlock on the key fob with the door open, to get it to arm again. I tried that, no luck.

I don't think there IS any such feature on THIS car????

Is BCM related to theft alarm system? Did the replacement of the BCM cause this?

Also performed hatch recall, any connection?

Will go back tomorrow of course....they could have also re-programmed the compass...had to drive around in circles more than once to get that to find the correct direction.
    Answering my own questions from previous post #3592.

Yes, BCModule controls theft deterrent system. No VALET setting on this car as I had thought.

New BCM was programmed improperly, thus causing alarm to be OFF. This technician was also able, without asking, to correct the jittery R/H power mirror with the BCM re-program. Problem since new, had been "normal" in the past.

This was not my week, got home and noticed a screw in my right rear tire! That was probably the screw they forgot to replace in my console when they orig took out the BCM, leaving the right side console panel to vibrate??(LOL)

Luckily, tire place says the screw didn't penetrate the tire...but it did stay there for at least 30 miles without extracting itself!

Happy New Year everyone!
  • islandpeteislandpete Member Posts: 94
    90mercsable , Hi you doing . 6000 mi wow I thought my wife's 14000 mi wa low :-) As to your BCM and alarm problems. Had the same problem with the Service Engine Soon light coming on. Took it in two months ago and they said the same thing as you, a shorted BCM.They repaired it and as with you we had to take it back to have the computer "reconfigured" to get the alarm working(flashing red light on Dash). Oh yeh, also had to reset the compass too:-)Last week we had the Service Engine Light come on again. I called Onstar and they did a "diagnostic check" and said there was no problem showing. They advised me to shut off the engine and remove the gas cap and put it back on and give it two clicks and give the computer 24/48 hrs to reset. It worked. Light went of the next day.
    Hi IslandPete,

Thanks for the hello. Glad to hear I'm not crazy regarding the BCM. I get nervous when I know more about the car than the "professionals". I can't understand why the service writer would have to beg a technician to try to reset another customer's oil mileage gauge -"just try it, it's not so hard!" Aren't the Mr.Goodwrenches supposed to know this? But then again, this was the service writer that thought I had a Valet position for the alarm! (I'm trying very hard not to be cyinical)

Yeh, I only drive it to work one mile each way (I guess I should walk), and I drive an '86 Electra to places where I would rather not park the RDV (like the supermarket) -so I don't have much mileage. Took a long trip to Canada with it last year, was really nice. I would love to see what the new Ultra is going to be like with more HP, but I see MSRP of $38k. I don't know if I would spend quite that much extra for the engine, wood dash, and monochrome paint.

Regards...
  • grc4grc4 Member Posts: 15
    Hi All:

I just bought a 2004 Rendezvous for my wife with light gray cloth seats. We have applied scotch guard to the seats but I'm really concern about this light cloth getting dirty. Does any know of a good place to get a bottom Seat cushion for at least the driver seat or a good seat cover?
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    Why not enjoy the seat. Clean it frequently with a vacuum and by brushing off anything that accumulates. Maybe eventually shampoo it with a foam shampoo.

Then if it shows dirt, put a cover on it.

Buicks I've had have given good service from the seat cloth materials they've used. You may find it's been chosen to give up lint and dirt easily and eventually be shampooed for that deep cleaning.

If your clothes have grease or oil on them, I'd think about something to cover the seat.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• murfdogmurfdog Member Posts: 61
    Here is my input on these cars. We bought a new CX in 2002 for 21,000. We bought the base car without extras.

We have over 30,000 miles on the car. We have never taken it in for service beside oil changes. We get arond 20 miles to the gallon city, on long trips 23-26. The engine has plenty of power. Any more power and the gas milage would suffer.

Bought with no options because it came standard with plenty. We have a 4 year old and several small dogs and the uphostery has no problems. That is in answer to the question above. Good quality material. Love the cupholders in the back. Excellent for kids in car seats to place their drinks, food, toys.

The only problems we have had are two. The clock is a few seconds slow ever week or so and the rubber cover over the shifter ripped. Not sure what else. We also are not that nit picky about things so maybe there are others we missed. For the person with all the problems above, it sounds like a lemon. I would try to get a trade for a different car if possible.

The car is so awesome compared to trailblazers, highlanders, tahoes, jeeps, explorers, suburbans, .... We have friends with all the above and they do not have any of the special features of this car that seperate it from typical SUVs, minivans, ...

For example this car has excellent head room. Converts very well compared to others (seats out, ...). It drives smooth like a car not stiff like a truck (TB, TAHOE). It has a lot more headroom, legroom then a hummer. Actually most cars do. It has great storage. It is very comfortable with excellent quality.

Most people I know by regular SUVs because they are followers and think that is what they should do. I think those that buy special unique cars ahead of their time like this one are leaders. Notice other car makers trying to make "crossover" cars now.

It has strong well placed handles and is not too high off the ground. Why does it matter. My mom (75) can not get into the car types listed above but can get into our car. She has problems with her legs but this car is so great because of the handle, lower to ground and great leg room that she can get in ok.

Super car. Love it. May get another one for me.

Alot of my friends do not like it because its not COOL enough. I think its too cool for them. The wide butt of the car allows excellent storage and headroom/shoulder room. The other odd features are there for similar reasons. The car is ahead of its time.

Thanks,
  • footeamfooteam Member Posts: 7
    Test drove a '04 CXL today. The salesman told us that the navigation system will only work with the DVD in the slot and that you can't listen to a CD while you are using the navigation system. I find this very odd and not at all convenient. Is this true? Help!
  • dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    General Motors manufactures vehicles in many localities around the world. GM would be building all of its cars and trucks in the US if it wasn't for the adversarial attitude against large corporations that's common in the US. Notice that Britain, Germany, France and many other countries actually GIVE money to large native corporations. If that were done here I can imagine the hue and cry now.

For the record, GM DID NOT try to fool anybody about where their Rendezvous was assembled. It was clearly stated on the window sticker when you bought the vehicle. I'm surprised that anyone that sensitive about where their automobile was made wouldn't have thought to look closer.

Dusty
  • sigdawgsigdawg Member Posts: 1
    Hey Everyone!

I am thinking of changing out the cloth portion of the leather/cloth seats to full leather has anyone tried this through the dealer or aftermarket?

Also would like to change the basic climate control to the digital one... does anyone know if this can be done?

Just found this forum and have learned a ton! Thanks for sharing and I look forward to contributing.

Sig
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    Apparently you don't have a large GM plant in your area. Here they are being given money by local communities. Local communities are abating taxes on new plants under the threat that if they don't subsidize GM, the plant will be somewhere else. Or the new production will go somewhere else, i.e., subsidize a new paint line building or we will be building Trailblazers et al somewhere else.

American businesses are being given government money. In Ohio, there were many "major companies" who paid less than $50 in taxes to Ohio. The companies also are doing Enron/Worldcom type money movement to avoid taxation on what is already earned in the state. The source of the data was an article in the Cincinnati Enquirer months ago. They did not list corps involved.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

Yes, we have two large GM assembly plants here, Delphi (Rochester Products Div & Delco-Rochester).

Yes, the tax abatements most certainly could be considered a give-away. It is after all the equivalent of money. As to direct give-aways, maybe you're correct. It's about time.

The point I was trying to make was at the federal level. France, for example, owns part of Peugeot. I don't believe doing such a thing in the US is constitutional.

The company I work for has not been so lucky. In fact, they won a court case because they paid $45 million dollars more in local taxes than they should have under the local tax laws.

If all these corporations are getting $50.00 tax bills, why are so many pushing production offshore or to Mexico?

Taxes aside, US corporations have a much higher cost of doing business here. If it's not taxes, it comes in some form of government regulation. If you think that's okay, please don't be too surprised as more US business move labor outside the country.

By the way, the Cincinnati Enquirer and the Rochester Democrat & Chronicle have something in common.

Are you in Cincinnati? Been in that city many times. I like the area and the people are among the most friendly I've ever met. Long time REDs fan, by the way.

Regards,
    Dusty
    When I bought my buick, I always thought it was ironic that my Toyota Camry was made in the USA and my Buick was made in Mexico. We new it when we bought the Buick. I would have prefered it made in the USA; however, we knew where it was built. There was no hiding it by buick. I also knew when I bought my Toyota that it was made in the USA.

Car companies are not the only ones facing these problems. I work for a large computer company. High tech jobs having been flowing to India for years now. Its only recently hit the news as for the general public. A real pain when you have to schedule meetings and work on debugging technical problems with others half way around the world on different time schedules.
    I think you mean Renault Dusty; the French state owns ~44% of it.

Lots of US companies get taxpayer subsidies for their overseas advertising (link). The hue and cry wasn't loud enough I guess, 'cause that program is still going on.

It sounds like manufacturing jobs are shrinking everywhere, even in China, due to increased production. What's going to be interesting is watching the effect of the devalued US dollar on imported car sales, especially for those makes that don't have domestic factories. US based manufacturers could benefit from increased export sales.

Steve, Host
    Steve, yes. You are correct. Another senior moment.

It's funny that in the field of economics most advocates of a controlled economy usually apply caution at the state level. I wonder how the globalists are going to handle this problem on an even larger scale.

Regards,
    Dusty
  • dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    Now that we have had a few snow falls, how do people find winter driving in a FWD Rendezvous?
  • tmakogontmakogon Member Posts: 74
    I believe it's true - You can use the factory navigation either as the navigation or as the CD player, but not both at the same time. The ways around this are:

1. Listen to the radio if you bought the Rendezvous with the navigation option,

2. Have your portable CD play through the RDV's FM radio using a FM modulator, or

3. Install an aftermarket navigation system if you bought the RDV with the CD or CD changer option.

We have option #3 in our 2002. See message #2878. The picture should be accessible by using the link without the http part

www.geocities.com/makogon/Navmate.jpg
  • tmakogontmakogon Member Posts: 74
    Our relatives came to visit us recently. Last time they came there were six of us, so we could all fit in with room to spare (we have the 3rd row and a bench 2nd row). This time there were eight of us: seven adults and a one-year old. I started exploring the ways to seat us all safely into the Rendezvous.

Having looked at the 3rd row seat, I noticed an anchor sign. Aha - there must be a child seat connection... Indeed, there was a triangular-shaped connection on the back of the 3rd row seat, and a metal connector on a harness belt under the 3rd row seat. This looked like an appropriate way to install a forward-facing child seat.

After some 10 minutes the seat was installed with the two Latch belts fitting right into the under-seat anchor and the third belt connected to the seat back triangle. It was holding the seat very well - much better than when we have it installed in the middle of the second row. So we used this configuration to transport eight of us around town for a couple of days.

Later I realized that the harness belt under the 3rd row seat was probably a duplicate of the triangular harness point and may be meant for the 3rd Latch belt attachment in RDVs without the third row option. Although maybe it would have held the child seat adequately, it may have not been designed for this. Well, at least we are all safe. However, this is a caution not to use this configuration in your RDV.
    We have a RDV without the third row seats. We had family visit us from out of town and had to drop them off at the airport.

We had seven. Three kids and four large adults.

We put two Adults in the front. Strapped in the three kids in the back with safety belts and car seats and put two full size adults and all their luggage and mall purchases in the back and still had room to spare.

That back space has so much room. I can not think of an SUV is the same price range that could fit people as well as ours did.

For those who complain about its butt, they should look at it from the inside and check out all the space.

We would have liked the third row, but without it, the car was only 21k vs like 28k with it.

There is only three of us anyway (not including the dogs).
  • nextmoonnextmoon Member Posts: 386
    We've had quite a few snow storms dumping around 6-8 inches around here in the NYC area. I was out driving a bit on the local streets and quite amazed at how well my RDV handled. The streets were not all that well plowed in many places, especially one way streets. Traction control never turned on any time. It felt quite stable driving around. The rear end slipped out slightly once after making a tight left turn at an intersection - day after big storm and temps starting to refreeze the slush. I had no problems driving over small mounds of snow to park in the hole left from the previous car digging out. Parallel parked in thick icy slush and was able to pull out easily after coming back from shopping. Last week I was even able to parallel park up onto a completely frozen over street...had problems keeping my own feet planted on the ground once getting out.

Only surprising thing to hear was my heater making a bit of a groaning sound in the 0 degree temperature. It went away after 5 minutes. Last Saturday all my doors were frozen shut. The rain and then freezing temperatures froze the top of each door to the the rubber. I had to run a hair dryer outside to melt the ice. But my other car had the same frozen doors in the similar place.
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    I too had a chance to play with the RDV during the recent Seattle snow storm, and compare it to my Acura sedan which is FWD with traction control.

The AWD RDV was very sure footed and I felt very confident driving it on slippery roads. Of note, however, is that if you goose the throttle (just for the fun of it), you can easily get the rear end to fishtail because there is no traction control on the AWD model. Once the front wheels lose traction and torque goes to the rear, the rear wheels are apparently free to spin under unreasonable throttle (emphasis on unreasonable).

In contrast, my Acura never spun a wheel during acceleration because Traction Control and Stability Assist gently modulated throttle and brakes for smooth driving. It was a strange feeling to goose the throttle from a standstill and have the car slowly and gently accelerate with normal revs that never shot upwards. I also climbed a hill in the Acura and had no problem (although I was nervous because if I did lose traction up front, there is no "backup").

I would conclude that both systems are within a hair of each other in overall winter capability, with a slight edge going to the RDV simply because of the ability to transfer torque to the rear, which could help during hill climbing and allow quicker acceleration. Also, when driving to the ski slopes, the Park Rangers require chains on 2WD vehicles.

I think the ideal solution for those that live in more severe winter climates would be a vehicle with some combination of AWD with 4 wheel electronic Traction Control.
  • duke36duke36 Member Posts: 15
    I have a 2003 RDV FWD. I notice that the Traction Control does come up often - suggesting a light weight on the front wheel - obviously the 4WD would do better - but I did not get it for the price.

My only major concern is the ineficiency of the heater - at least on my 2002 model - during the current cold snap, I never get the cabin hot, just warm- I have to keep my hat and gloves even after 45 minutes driving. I mentionned it to the dealer at my last oil change and they changed the termostat (he tried it for 30 miles and confirmed that it was not up to spec)- the change of termostat helped, but still not great hot car. Albeit sufficient.My small 4-cylinder Saturn works hotter overall.
    Perhaps the 2003 or 2004 have a better heater???

One last comment about winter driving, if you want to find winter tires, buy as soon as you find some - the size is popular and the dealers are back ordered in November until the spring- again this year. I passed out on Michelin to check prices elsewhere and that was it- I had to settle for Yokos which are not bad - albeit the same price. So plan early on your winter tire purchase.

Overall a nice value vehicle.
  • theo2709theo2709 Member Posts: 476
    Hi all!

I have a 2002 Rendezvous CXL AWD, and overall it has been a very good car. However, there a three nagging problems that I have never been quite able to figure out.

Problem 1: with the climate control, no matter what setting it is at, it always makes this sort of clicking noise, like a fan is hitting something as it turns. It sounds like it's coming from somewhere near the glovebox. This happens more often when it's cold.

Problem 2: the steering makes a strange whine when turned a lot, like in parking lots. It sounds like something is rubbing against the steering column, or when you forcefully turn a servo.

Problem 3: this one is comparitively minor. The back windshield wiper has a strange problem of scraping along one way, and coming back smoothly. This happens in all types of weather conditions.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
  • dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    Thanx for the winter driving comments.

Heat thing is interesting. I wonder if that is a common complaint with RDV or just an individual issue.
  • nidgenidge Member Posts: 18
    Hello Theo,
    I think that I know exactly what the clicking noise is that you hear. You mentioned the glove box. I think you are right on. Have you ever looked to see if you have a cabin filter in your car? To find the cabin filter location, you must go through the glove box. Actually, right in the back of the glove . You first see one black plastic cover. Open it and you will see another black plastic cover which holds the cabin filter in place. It too is made of plastic. I think that these cars are made by Monogram in Morton Grove. At one time I was checking on mine , and in the process I broke off the plastic clamp. I now keep it closed with duct tape. Does a better jod and no clicking. Chech it out and good luck.
                       Nidge