Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda CR-V Rear Differential Problem?

Comments

• blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    Congrats on doing your homework!
    You wrote:
    "...... a check engine light sooner if actual driving conditions warrant checking the rear diff. sooner!!! "

I'm not sure if I understand how driving conditions plus the check engine light plus the rear diff are tied together. Can anyone explain that?

I think he/she meant "Maintenance minder light"

Potatoe/Tomato, same thing, lol
  • hondaloonhondaloon Member Posts: 8
    Hi Ted,

Thanks for the info. Car into dealership today. They tell me that they are using a new type of diff oil just released by Honda. Not sure if this will fix the problem but have my fingers crossed. Not sure how long it will last. 1st one lasted 40,000kms. The service manager said it would take at least 3-4hours to do the job properly (Honda recommends less than that) and he told me that while they do get this sort of complaint from time to time but not a lot. Not sure if he was giving me the whole picture. I think I will face the same issues as others on this post. I don't take the CRV off the road much and wish I had more time for the R&R stuff. My communication with Honda was from their website and will let you know their response. I think I will call them as well. Thanks again for repespomnding to my listing.- Gerry
  • valdgalvaldgal Member Posts: 1
    Called my Honda delearship who sold me my Honda CRV 2006 and complained about the groan when turning left/right ... said the oil in differential was breaking down and needed to be replaced. Took it in and they replaced it for free after I told them that I had read it somewhere that this was an ongoing problem. As a brand new Honda owner, whatelse should I be watching out for in my Honda 2006 CRV EX?

Appreciate any and all advice
  • phisherphisher Member Posts: 175
    That's about it so far. Some older model owners have experienced compressor issues or should I say explosions but I believe they have fixed that problem on the generation you own. Only time will really tell. If it does happen you will know because you will hear a pop and the air conditioning will not work. The manual says that the rear differential only needs to be changed at 60,000 miles so you shouldn't have to pay for the fluid replacement until then. It they try just point out what the manual says. Enjoy your 06, I love mine and couldn't be happier with it. ;)
    Had the diff oil changed yseterday and everything fine now. Will most likely be paying next time. Not sure how much better this new oil is as only time will tell. Yes, I also love my CRV but this issue and the fairly average petrol comsumption takes the gloss off a little. I am still waiting to hear from Honda Australia but they most probably get many queries about this issue. Thanks for your feedback.
  • tedtcbtedtcb Member Posts: 39
    Hi Loon
    Of course this is not a scientifically proven assessment, but something tells me by the lack of reoccurring complaints by those (including me) that have replaced the Dual Pump fluid with version II, that the new oil may be working. Of course, there is that caveat of water getting into the system, but we'll have to wait and see on that.
    Please keep us in the loop as I will likewise do
    Ted
    Called my Honda delearship who sold me my Honda CRV 2006 and complained about the groan when turning left/right ... said the oil in differential was breaking down and needed to be replaced. Took it in and they replaced it for free after I told them that I had read it somewhere that this was an ongoing problem. As a brand new Honda owner, whatelse should I be watching out for in my Honda 2006 CRV EX?

Appreciate any and all advice

If you have the girly version (automatic) replace the ATF fluid at 30,000 mile intervals or sooner.

Perform brake lubrication and cleaning once a year, or twice a year if you live in the rust belt.
  • kestlerkestler Member Posts: 1
    Took my 06 CRV (29,000 mi) to Charlotte dealer with groaning problem today. Called me back & said it needed diff fluid change and cleaning of clutch gears and I would be charged $184. Also said it is supposed to be changed every 15K miles. After finding this site & the 07-024 Service Bulletin I called back. Said he hadn't heard of a problem but would check (a lie). He called back and said no charge. Luckily my lease will be up in May next year and they can have it back.
    Hi Ted,

Still no reply from Honda Australia. I think they know they are at fault with this diff. Noise has gone after oil replacement. Will let you know what their response is when I get it. Cheers Gerry
    Good to hear the noise has abated Gerry--
    And yes, let me know what Honda says
    Cheers Back at cha
    t
  • twigs8twigs8 Member Posts: 3
    Was wonder where I can get a copy of the Service Bulletin #07-024. I'm taking my 06 in to have this problem fixed ..I hope..
    Thank you !!
  • judylinkjudylink Member Posts: 33
    Here's the link for the Honda Service Bulletin #07-024
    http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SB/A07-024.PDF
    Still waiting for a reply from Honda. I did phone them as well as was told that someone from Honda will come back to me. I think I will give them another call next week. Will let you know what they say. Cheers Gerry
  • paulinctpaulinct Member Posts: 5
    My 2002 also has severly clouded headlights. I noticed how bad it was recently when parked next to another similar year CR-V. The other car had nice clear glass on the headlights, but mine is very cloudy and dull.

Has anyone else had this problem, and if so what can be done?

Thanks,
    Paul
    I've had two headlights go out on my CR-V 2006 and replaced by a Honda dealership. The third time the light went out, a friend taped on the hood near the light and it turned on. Now that was a waste of money!
  • chandlwc1chandlwc1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 CRV that was having the real differential noise problem. Got the fluid changed and it didn't change much. Yesterday I was on the highway when there was a god awful metal on metal screaching noise along with the associated caustic smell. So, I assume the differential is toast. Any idea what it should cost to fix/replace this? Is Honda the only place to go for this?

Thanks
  • kiwi10kiwi10 Member Posts: 2
    I have recently taken delivery of my second 2007-08 CRV and certainly had the grinding noise when turning in reverse in the first model that contributors mention. It hasn't yet started in the new car but no doubt will. There is another noise which I have not seen mentioned and it was in my 2007 model and again in the 2008 model. The car is an auto and I find that when going down hill in "D" and using no brake and no accelerator there is a noise from the rear of the car which I can only liken to what one hears when a stone chip is caught between the brake disc and the disc guard except no where as loud. Have any other contributors experienced this and are able to indicate what it is? I have not yet approached Honda for comment.
    Why two identical CRVs in such short order? I love them and Honda made an offer I could not refuse to change.
    Hi Ted,
    Eventually received a telephone call from one of their customer service people in head office. Apologised profusely for the delay in getting back to me. He was not overly willing to admit Honda's design flaws in their diff design. He kept saying how Honda will rectify problem while under warranty otherwise it's a service expense for the car owner. Kept telling me it was a service requirement to regularly replace the diff oil but couldn't tell me exactly when it needed changing. Quite vague about this. Overall not a very satisfactory response from Honda. Asked about the breather outlet in the diff housing and said it was necessary as the diff would expode if it didn't have this breather outlet. Not sure about the CRV anymore. Nice to drive but I'm sure their are plenty of other makes & models that don't have this problem. Think I will just have to keep an eye on it and get it sorted quickly if the shudder comes back. Thank you for sharing your experience and knowledge - much appreciated - Gerry
    I wouldn't drive the CRV if there you know you have a problem with the dif. My brand new 2006 locked up on the highway and almost killed me. They replaced the entire diff. There was NO warning. The shuddering and grinding noise appeared later with the replaced dif and the oil was changed. No problems since, so far.
    Wow Gerry, that sounds like a rather unsatisfactory response.My only thought is the dif problem has not manifested itself into the common disaster that Judylink experienced or I'm quite sure there would be a major recall on the CRV.
    As it is, I see many, many on the road from all three generations.
    Something tells me we haven't seen the end of this
    Thanks for the head;s up and be safe
    t
  • tmcalhoun1988tmcalhoun1988 Member Posts: 1
    What year is your CR-V? My father has a 2008 and there is a grinding noise coming from the rear of the car. i think it maybe the rear dif because it mostly does it when we are turning on bumps. have you seen or hear any similar complaints?
    Mine is an '06, I had no warning when the differential went. My older model ('03?) made a grinding sound during parking for example. It should not cost a dime to have it fixed! You might have to be adamant about it though. Here's the link to the service bulletin 07-024 that you can take with you, proving that you know that they know that it's a recurring problem with the CRVs. http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SB/A07-024.PDF

The bulletin is for 2002-2007, but if there's still a problem.... :mad:

Judy
  • yarmieyarmie Member Posts: 3
    My '05 is at the Honda dealership having the rear diff oil changed now. I used to be a "Honda girl", now I'm disappointed in them. They keep telling me the Honda owner's manual is a "miss print" because it says to have a rear diff oil change at 90,000. It's not a miss print, Honda has a problem! I called Honda and they were no help, they said because it's out of warranty (41,000 miles) it's my responsibility to pay.

When it took the car in they asked if I wanted to have the rear diff oil change done twice (and of course pay twice), I said "no, do it three times!", just kidding, but apparently after the oil change sometimes the noise continues so they want to do it again. If that happens I'll be pissed and I'll call Honda again and talk to someone who has some authority instead of just some "puppet" customer service rep. If I would have know all this I certaintly would not buy a CRV !
    Hi, I had the same problem however there is a set Honda procedure for changing the oil and burnishing the plates/gears. Apparently they have to do it twice basically at the same time. Change the oil, run the car and rear diff, drop the oil and wait then replace new oil again. My dealership cover this process twice as the car is still under warranty until next Feb. Guess I'll have to pay after this. Hopes this helps - Gerry
  • joekinsojoekinso Member Posts: 14
    After reading all the problems with the rear diff on CR-V's I decided it was time to replace the fluid on my 02 CR-V @ 157k Km. It had never been changed and NEVER made any noise. After 15 miles on the highway and upon entering a parking lot with a sharp turn, the shuddering and moaning began. Mr. Lube insists they use genuine Honda CVT/Dual Pump fluid. I have to wonder if all the Diff problems are caused by the fluid and not a design flaw as mine worked perfectly until the fluid was replaced. I'm going back to Mr. Lube to inspect the actual container and part # of the fluid they use. I'll take my Accord. I don't dare drive the CR-V. Does anyone know if there was a change in the Diff fluid between 02 and now? I wish I'd left it alone and taken a chance on the original fluid, now I'll have have the CR-V flushed multiple times and hope it hasn't been damaged.
    Problem 2
    Cruise control quit. When the main switch is depressed, the indicator on the dash does not come on. If I then push the "SET" button the "Cruise Control" is displayed on dash for about 1 second and the goes out. It will not come on again by pushing "Set" unless the main switch is turned off and then on again. The cruise does not engage the throttle at any time.
  • richcyprusrichcyprus Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I took my CRV to a Honda authorised service centre here in Cyprus with the rear diff noise problem. They were going to replace the DPF but when they drained out the differential the existing fluid looked okay - looked like I might have needed a new diff. However they instead tried replacing it with some "special home made" oil they had sitting in a vat (they won't tell me the make-up of it, looked like old engine oil to me!) and amazingly it seems to have fixed it (touch wood). I was a bit worried as there is a mantra on these forums that thou shalt use official Honda DPF but 2 months later the noise is still gone and my car is (so far) running okay without the noise and I use it every day. Hope this doesn't jinx it! Even if I do need to replace the diff at some point it's probably on its last legs anyway. Any ideas how much that would cost in parts and how long it would take (labour here is quite cheap).
  • retiredjnrretiredjnr Member Posts: 1
    My wife drives a 2005 Honda CRV, and has complained about noises for some period of time. I finally drove it last week and identified the source as the differential. Taking it to the dealer, they gave the standard line about burnishing the plates and replacing the fluid, with an accompanying $500+ charge.

Are there any lawyers out there wanting to cash in on a class action lawsuit? This one is made to order. The owners manual clearly states the interval between oil changes and Honda is not following this schedule. Also, there are cases in the forums of the differentials locking up while driving, and there are probably accidents resulting from this as well.

Had Honda even bothered to notify us about this issue, we would have had the car serviced while still under warranty, and in any event would have been alerted to watch for this problem. Since they did not, it is now our problem to fix. Short of taking them to small claims court (which I will definitely consider) my only recourse seems to no longer do business with this company and publicly complain about their customer treatment. I have bought several Honda cars in the past, and have a 99 Accord that has given me great service, but unless Honda changes their position on this problem I will NEVER again buy a Honda automobile.
  • paulmtpaulmt Member Posts: 1
    With all of the rear differential problems I have heard here; has anyone not had a problem in that area for 60,000 miles or so with regards to the noise and having to change the fluid sooner?
    richcyprus wrote:

there is a mantra on these forums that thou shalt use official Honda DPF

Rich, the real mantra is “thou shalt use official Honda DPF II as in not the old DPF, but the reformulated 2nd Generation DPF .
    There seems to be two (maybe three) class action type of problems with the CRV
    A) The owners manual clearly has the wrong mileage to change the DPF
    B) The original DPF was defective
    C) There may be a place in the rear dif where water is getting in to the differential housing
    Beyond all that, you should definitely find out what kind of DPF was used in your CRV
    Please report back
    Ted

• ray001ray001 Member Posts: 1
    My CR-V (bought in Sept 06) had the Differential Problem last year. It had 7K miles then. I drove it to the dealer. The dealer could not duplicate, so they did not want to check it. It got worse this month (it had 12K miles), and the dealer did the following fix:
    "Replaced rear fluid and burnished the rear clutches"

I believe this is a design flaw, and a lawsuit should be filed against Honda
  • yamatogradyamatograd Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2007 CRV that had the rear differential problem at about 13,000 miles. I took to my dealer and they "fixed it" by changing out the differential fluid and whatever else they do. The car now has about 25,000 miles on it, and recently I noticed that sometimes when I back out of my driveway there is a grinding noise again from the rear of the car...like before. Has anyone had more problems with the differential after the first fix??? I'm going to take it in to the dealer next week.
  • lzclzc Member Posts: 483
    I think the consensus here is that the Honda recommended service interval on changing the differential fluid is wrong. The fluid needs changing more often, much more often.

Yes, others have had the problem repeat. How long you can get the dealer to perform the service under warranty is an open question. At 25K, you should qualify with no hassle.
    My wife drives a 2005 Honda CRV, and has complained about noises for some period of time. I finally drove it last week and identified the source as the differential. Taking it to the dealer, they gave the standard line about burnishing the plates and replacing the fluid, with an accompanying $500+ charge.

Are there any lawyers out there wanting to cash in on a class action lawsuit? This one is made to order. The owners manual clearly states the interval between oil changes and Honda is not following this schedule. Also, there are cases in the forums of the differentials locking up while driving, and there are probably accidents resulting from this as well.

Had Honda even bothered to notify us about this issue, we would have had the car serviced while still under warranty, and in any event would have been alerted to watch for this problem. Since they did not, it is now our problem to fix. Short of taking them to small claims court (which I will definitely consider) my only recourse seems to no longer do business with this company and publicly complain about their customer treatment. I have bought several Honda cars in the past, and have a 99 Accord that has given me great service, but unless Honda changes their position on this problem I will NEVER again buy a Honda automobile.

What would be the basis of the class action suit?

Everyone who contacted Honda corporate had the issue resolved. Have you contacted corporate? Dealers are franchise owners and do not neccessarily represent Corporate's interest. In fact, some crooked dealers will charge you for the service and will charge Honda corporate for the same service.

I agree that Honda should have issued a correction to the manual by mailing a self adhesive page that goes in place of the original, like they used to do in the 80's. Instead, they issued TSB to the dealers to provide this service for free. Some dealers are too greedy and continue chraging customers.

Once you formulate what you want the class action suit to pursue, you may have a lawyer interested. There was no breach of contract, nor laws broken.
    You wrote: Everyone who contacted Honda corporate had the issue resolved.

I contacted Honda corporate, they said that they "opened a case" (whatever that means to them) and I haven't heard from them since and I'm not holding my breath. My car was fixed by the Honda dealership. The manager didn't want to talk to me seriously about the issue.
  • amiller1amiller1 Member Posts: 13
    I AM TRYING TO DECIDE ON A CAR WOW! WHAT A DIFFICULT TASK. I LOVED THE CRV UNTIL I READ ALL THE ISSUE'S ABOUT THE REAR DIFF. MY QUESTION DOES IT REPEATLY HAPPEN?? OR ONCE YOU FLUSH THE FLUID AND REPLACE ITS FINE. I USUALLY HAVE MY CARS ABOUT 7YRS, I AM NOW DRIVING A 2002 TOYOTA HIGHLANDER WITH 105,000 MILES WITH NO ISSUES. (HUSBAND SAYS WE SHOULD KEEP WHAT WE HAVE) THEN I DROVE THE 2009 FORESTER, THAT WAS REAL NICE, BUT AGAIN THAT SEEMS TO HAVE ALOT OF ENGINE, AND HEAD GASKET ISSUE'S IN THE PAST. DON'T GET ME WRONG I KNOW YOU HAVE TO DEAL WITH SOME ISSUES BUT I DON'T WANT MAJOR ONES. LAST I AM THINKING ABOUT WAITING FOR THE TOYOTA VENZA TO COME OUT. PLEASE ANY FEEDBACK WOULD BE APPRECIATED
    The problem does come back. It sounds like the oil stops lubricating the clutches and metal shavings break off and contaminate the oil and produces a grinding sound. There has been talk of the housing being permeated by water and this interferes with the oil working properly. It has been going on for years!!!!!! One of the worst parts is that the dealerships are spotty at rectifying the problem for free. It's a crap shoot....I won't be getting another CRV...I hate gambling!
    As Long as you get the rear differential fluid flushed out about every 25,000 - 30,000 miles you shouldn't have a problem. Also being that the manual says 60,000 miles you should get the first 2 flushes at no cost to you. You may have to point this out to the dealership to get the flushes at no cost but if you develop a good rapport with your service manager it shouldn't be to hard. If it is, Choose a different dealership.
    Consumer Reports magazine readers recently ranked the CR-V in the group of most trouble-free SUVs. The need to change the rear differential fluid more often than the manual says is an overblown issue, imo. My dealer has done it at no charge. But even if I had to pay, my CR-V has had extremely low maintenance costs.
    I did drive a 2008 EX CRV and liked the way it drove. After reading all the problems the CRV's have with the rear diff I am afraid I may regret it. I am also looking at the 2009 Subaru Forester, never had a Honda or Subaru. In the past I had Toyota 's which I have loved and never had a problem with, so not too sure if I might be better off waiting this out and look at the new Toyota Venza. I just can't figure why Honda has never resolved the big issue's with the rear diff. Is this problems with all SUV's??? Please any feedback??
  • courtney89courtney89 Member Posts: 12
    Be careful - I have said the same thing on this thread and have been bashed pretty hard. I own my second CRV. After the first looked at every SUV on the market, drove at least 10 vehicles (because my husband said the CRV was uncomfortable. We finally drove a newer one and he said, 'yes, you're right, it is the best car and the seats are definitely more comfortable now.' I had the differential problem - heard the noise, took it to the dealer, got it fixed and paid less than $50. No other problems AT ALL. It now has 60,000 miles and haven't spent another dime on it other than oil changes. Probably will need brakes in the next month or so. But, because I continue to believe it's a great car and have said so on this thread - I have basically been told I am stupid. It's amazing to me that if this car is so bad, it continues to outsell most suv's in it's class. I will purchase another CRV and am very happy with my car.
    The world is full of complainers, although here they have a point. Honda is guilty of misstating the frequency the differential oil should be changed. Why they do this, I don't know. I guess they deserve a knock or two. But the "I'll never buy another Honda" rant is a bit overdone imo.

I've never owned a perfect car, but I've owned a few with problems galore, and I happily take the minor imperfections I find in Honda (or Toyota) cars. Those looking for perfection, I'm afraid, are going to be disappointed.
  • nkleppernklepper Member Posts: 4
    I just had my diff fluid replaced on my 2007 Honda CRV today due to grinding when turning and excessive road noise. It only has 22,000 miles on it. I also would like to know of any class action suits on this matter. This car has been a dream car up until now. After reading all these comments, I'm worried!
    I just had my diff fluid replaced on my 2007 Honda CRV today due to grinding when turning and excessive road noise. It only has 22,000 miles on it. I also would like to know of any class action suits on this matter. This car has been a dream car up until now. After reading all these comments, I'm worried!

So, if they fixed it, what are you proposing they do in the class action? Wipe your bottom for a year? :confuse:
    I AM TRYING TO DECIDE ON A CAR WOW! WHAT A DIFFICULT TASK. I LOVED THE CRV UNTIL I READ ALL THE ISSUE'S ABOUT THE REAR DIFF. MY QUESTION DOES IT REPEATLY HAPPEN?? OR ONCE YOU FLUSH THE FLUID AND REPLACE ITS FINE. I USUALLY HAVE MY CARS ABOUT 7YRS, I AM NOW DRIVING A 2002 TOYOTA HIGHLANDER WITH 105,000 MILES WITH NO ISSUES. (HUSBAND SAYS WE SHOULD KEEP WHAT WE HAVE) THEN I DROVE THE 2009 FORESTER, THAT WAS REAL NICE, BUT AGAIN THAT SEEMS TO HAVE ALOT OF ENGINE, AND HEAD GASKET ISSUE'S IN THE PAST. DON'T GET ME WRONG I KNOW YOU HAVE TO DEAL WITH SOME ISSUES BUT I DON'T WANT MAJOR ONES. LAST I AM THINKING ABOUT WAITING FOR THE TOYOTA VENZA TO COME OUT. PLEASE ANY FEEDBACK WOULD BE APPRECIATED

A) Yelling won't get you anywhere.

B) How dare a manufacturer expect the owners to do maintenance on their vehicles!!!!
    No! However, this is not normal maintenance you should have to contend with. If Honda comes up with a fix for the ongoing problem, I want to be contacted. Evidently you have never had a car that didn't have problems! This is my first vehicle that has to have something done to it every year besides the normal maintenance. No butt wiping necessary, just answers to a problem Honda knows exists and their customers have to put up with. Not good PR. This is my first foreign car, I have always bought American made cars with no problems.
    I love my CRV, just very disappointed in Honda not taking care of an ongoing problem. They need to fix this issue so it doesn't happen again on every CRV with a recall.
    If you just get your rear differential fluid changed every 25,000 miles or so it should be fine. Honda just incorrectly listed it in the owners manual as being needed to be changed every 60,000 miles. Differential fluid changes are a normal maintanece item also.
    First I am not yelling, just usually write in caps, a habit. Second we take very good care of our vehicles and my husband does most of the routine care. I guess because of this we have been lucky and have had no problem. I just don't understand why paying so much for a vehicle than have to turn around and spend more for a problem that you would have thought would have been resolved. I do like the CRV but after reading so many issues on this site I am alittle worried about how much more the cost would be. I did call my local Honda dealer and asked the service people what I would have to do to prevent this problem. I was told I would have to change the fluid about every 15k miles, and I would have to pay the cost, which is about $70. To me this should be at least covered for the first 3ys or 36,000 by Honda, I am told it is not. Were you told something different or something different.
    While some posters have reported problems in getting a dealer to change the fluid free of charge, most have not. This is Honda's error and there is a TSB on the issue (#07-024) that instructs the dealer to change the fluid and burnish the rear differential clutches under its normal warranty. That is, you are covered.

The TSB goes on, "Out of Warranty: Any repair performed after warranty may be eligible for goodwill consideration by the District Parts and Service Manager or your Zone Office. You must request consideration, and get a decision before starting work."

Whoever told you this issue was not covered under warranty was in error. It's unfortunate, but common to all dealers, that some employees are poorly informed or simply instructed to try to charge for something they shouldn't be charging for.

Bottom line, an informed consumer should not have to pay for having the rear differential fluid changed until it's normally scheduled in the owner's manual.
    If you bring your CRV in to have the rear differential fluid replaced and they try and charge you point out in the manual that it only says that the differential fluid needs to be replaced at 60,000 miles. If they still try and charge you tell them that you will have to find a different dealership to get any work done. They know that the manual lists the incorrect interval and should replace the fluid for free until 60,000 miles. From my experience needing the fluid changed every 15,000 miles is a little extreme. I have had mine changed between 20-25,000 miles and am currently at 42,000 and currently don't need it changed yet. It sounds like the dealership you are going to has a poor service department if they are trying to charge you especially if the car is still under warranty Hope this helps. Looks like by the time I posted this I was beat to the punch by lzc.