Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda CR-V Rear Differential Problem?

Comments

• yarmieyarmie Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2005 Honda CRV, 42,000 miles and I had to have the rear diff changed because of the moaning/groaning sound in the rear of vehicle. I went to Piazza Honda in Reading, PA, they asked if I wanted to have it changed "twice" while I was at it, at twice the cost of course. They changed it once, charged me $80. The noise is gone, but now I'm older and smarter, when I have it changed again in 30,000 miles or so, I WILL NOT PAY !
    My manual says to change it after 90,000 miles, they kept telling me it was a missprint in my manual.
  • phisherphisher Member Posts: 175
    The instructions from honda say to change the fluid drive the car for 5-10 miles and then flush and change again. If I were you next time you get service if it is there show them your receipt and the manual. Let them know about looking at the edmunds forums and that you think they ripped you off and if thats the way they do business that you would also have find a different place to have your service work done. If the dealership is a reputable one they should at least give you credit for what they charged you. Also do a review of the dealership on edmunds.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Also do a review of the dealership on edmunds

Here's the link:

Dealer Ratings and Reviews
  • amiller1amiller1 Member Posts: 13
    I am sure its too early to tell yet, but I am trying to decide between a 2009 Honda CRV and a 2009 Subaru Forester. My question is, the problem with the rear differential is that problem isolated to manual transmissions or both automatic and manual?? How much of the fluid is needed what is the cost. Hubby would like to know so he can maintain. Should I be concerned about any other issues??? I don't want to regret my decision with a problem car. thanks for all your time and help. Still trying to decide....
  • hondaloonhondaloon Member Posts: 8
    I have a 2006 CRV automatic and I have had to have the diff done twice under warranty at no charge. I think that what ever you choose, CRV or Forrester you won't be disappointed by either one. The diff problem affects both manual and automatic models and I believe one of the issues is that Honda's recommended service interval is too long and needs to be done much earlier. If there is diff noise it should be fixed under warranty.
  • lzclzc Member Posts: 483
    The CR-V is no longer offered (in the U.S) with a manual transmission.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    The cost of fluid is about $6 ($4/quart, you need 1.2 quarts)

Any DIYer can do it in under 15 minutes.
    I love my CRV, just very disappointed in Honda not taking care of an ongoing problem. They need to fix this issue so it doesn't happen again on every CRV with a recall.

What problem?

Don't want to change differential fluid, buy a 2WD version. Simple like that. It is a maintenance item, not a failure.
    No! However, this is not normal maintenance you should have to contend with. If Honda comes up with a fix for the ongoing problem, I want to be contacted. Evidently you have never had a car that didn't have problems! This is my first vehicle that has to have something done to it every year besides the normal maintenance. No butt wiping necessary, just answers to a problem Honda knows exists and their customers have to put up with. Not good PR. This is my first foreign car, I have always bought American made cars with no problems.

How is replacing differential fluid is different from replacing transmission fluid or engine oil?

It is just another fluid that degrades with time and needs to be replaced.

I don't see people crying foul when they have to change the engine oil. Unless you are one of those people I hear about that lease a car for 3 years and don't do any maintenance to it.
  • judylinkjudylink Member Posts: 33
    If you don't think the diff issue isn't a problem, then read the back posts, that's what this forum is all about. Suggesting someone buy another vehicle may be a good idea, but not after they are committed to their current CRV 4 WD.

Can we focus on the diff problem, which has been recognized by Honda for years?! Let's work together to solve problems and help each other on this forum.

I was almost killed with two friends in my car when the car stopped due to the diff "going bad." The car was less than 1 month old. Oh, never mind... no problem with that.... :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
    I was almost killed with two friends in my car when the car stopped due to the diff "going bad." The car was less than 1 month old. Oh, never mind... no problem with that....

Your peoblem is different from what most have experienced. Most have groaning rear differential. Yours has locked up.

I am sure the locked up differential was promptly replaced by Honda under warranty. So, all you have to do now is change the fluid every year or 30,000 miles.

What is the problem?
  • nkleppernklepper Member Posts: 4
    So the rest of us are groaning rear differential huh? Well the "crud" caused by this so called weep hole is going some place. So what is going to be affected next with our cars? We all bought new cars and spent alot of money. We shouldn't have to put up with this! Honda should research and find a fix not a band aide.
  • kevman3kevman3 Member Posts: 30
    My 2008 CRV EX-L just hit 15% oil life at 18,000 miles. Code 6 popped up saying to change rear diff fluid. The car runs great, no sounds or groans from rear diff. Can't I wait awhile on this, like say 30,000 miles?
  • phisherphisher Member Posts: 175
    I would listen to the computer. Better to be safe than sorry and the differential fluid change should be covered by honda also.
  • mr_questionsmr_questions Member Posts: 2
    I have 2006 CRV, had a differential fluid changed at about 14,000 miles. Now the mileage is 24,000, there is a noise from the passanger side rear wheel. Honda dealer sees a need to have 2nd differential fluid changes, but it said It would not be covered under warranty. Piazza Honda dealer in PA told me the warranty only covers the first fluid change. I am sill under warranty. I gave them TSB # 07-024. They don't care. I think this is a class action issue to Honda.
    Did you speak with the service manager? If not, do so. If the answer is still no, let the service manager know you will take the issue to Honda directly. Despite your frustration or anger, do all this politely. I believe if you call Honda and tell them that a dealer is refusing to honor the action authorized in a TSB, you will get satisfaction.

Is there another Honda dealer in the area to try? Whatever the outcome, please let is know how this turns out.

As to a class action suit, the result would likely be that attorneys get $124,999,997.87, while each consumer would get a coupon for $5 redeemable at their local dealer. Whoopee!
  • deanandbelledeanandbelle Member Posts: 1
    We're thinking of buying my brother's 2005 crv when it comes off lease in march as we prefer to buy cars for which we know the legacy. We currently have an older CRV and 1991 integra. Brother has had the car serviced regularly and on his last service was told that the 'wrong' differential fluid was used. Might this cause any long term problems or will be fine once it is fixed? We are trying to decide whether to put some money in the integra to keep it running for the next year (needs about 1000 - 1500 of work) or whether to pull it off the road and replace with the 2005 CRV. Since the price off lease will be relatively steep, we won't buy if it requires major cash investment within the first year of purchase (other than regular maintenance). Any advice would be appreciated. Happy and safe new year to all!
  • FrancisderFrancisder Member Posts: 6
    Well, I guess I am going to have to do just that. I called my Honda dealer, who sold me the CR-V. First they said I was out of warranty. I am out of basic, but not out of drive train warranty, that this applies to. Then he told me the story you have all heard -- that this is maintenance, and will cost just $70 plus tax. For a fluid change. Actually, two fluid changes and running the wheels at 10 mph for 5 minutes in between. He also told me you need to change the rear differential fluid at 15,000 and at 30,000 and I didn't do it. The manual says 60,000 or 4 years, whichever comes first.

Well, SB 07-024 is pretty clear that this is under warranty. It also says that after warranty expires, it is eligible for goodwill consideration.

Hondas may be great cars, but it looks as though their dealers are just a slimy as other dealers. They try every deflection they can -- including outright lies -- in the hopes that you won't know the answer.

I am now at the stage of sending a complaint letter to Honda. I will gladly serve as a lead plaintiff for any class action suit. Even if plaintiffs get next to nothing, class action suits still serve the purpose of making it painful enough for companies and discourage them from playing these games.

Finally, if I have to pay out of my pocket, I'll go to my local mechanic, who can change a fluid for a h**l of a lot less than $70.

F
  • bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    The main point is ... The manual says 60,000 or 4 years, whichever comes first that the printing date isn't April-01.

Did Honda make every effort to notify all Honda owners about this mistake that has printed on the manual? If Honda didn't and only said to customer(s) it was a misprint when the problem came up, then Honda is liable to pay for parts and labor to correct this problem.
  • dimpleszdimplesz Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 CRV which I purchased new. I had the problem fixed by the dealer last year but now I hear the same groaning noise. Exactly 1 year later the same noise. I took the vehicle back to the dealer and they told me the don't see anything wrong with the differential. I clearly hear the noise everyday when turning out of my driveway. What should I do? Any suggestions?
  • bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    Leave the car there overnight and ask them to test drive it early morning to see if they can replicate the problem like from you driveway.
  • tkay2tkay2 Member Posts: 51
    I have a 2007 CRV and a 2009 Forester LLBean purchased 3/28/08) Forester much quieter and the ride is better I would check out the Forester.
  • cathyd3cathyd3 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2007 honda Crv with 24,000 miles and have been noticing the moaning/crunching sound for a little over a month now when I turn in and out of parking spots. I called the dealership this morning and the car is going into the shop tomorrow. The service tech on the phone knew right away the the rear diff fluid probably needed to be changed.
    Where can I print out a copy of the TSB #07-021 and or #07-024.
    All of the links on this thread will not take me to it. Perhaps it is an outdated link.
    I would like to go into the dealership with a copy of it so at least I look like an educated consumer HAHA. Basically I do not want to get charged!
    Thanks! :mad:
  • cathyd3cathyd3 Member Posts: 2
    Thank You! I just figured out it's my work computer that is blocking something That's why I couldn't open the link. I just had my supervisor open it up and print it for me.
    Thanks again!
  • grannewgrannew Member Posts: 1
    Last week I had the 40,000 mile service on my 2007 Honda CRV. While reviewing previous work, I realized that the rear dif had been serviced at 20,000 and at 30,000. The total maintenance cost at 30,000 was over $300. The total cost at 40,000 was again over $300. When I returned to the dealership (because their work had caused an engine warning symbol,) I asked for a schedule of their recommended service schedule. The response was just a big run around, saying that Honda left it all up to the dealerships. I asked why they had done the rear dif at 20,000 and again at 30,000. The service person started talking about a moaning sound. I explained that I hadn't ever had such a problem, must have been another customer. It was a futile conversation.

Then I read this forum and found out what he wasn't saying. If the owners manual suggests 60,000 and my Honda had the service twice before 40,000, shouldn't they reimburse me for the expense? I am ready to give my opinion when I get the service survey and will write a letter to Honda. Would any of this help? I have been polite so far, but this cover up angers me.
  • FrancisderFrancisder Member Posts: 6
    You're not alone. When I called for the service, they wanted to charge me for it because it was "maintenance". Honda Service Bulletin 07-024 is very clear. Normal warranty applies. Your drive train warranty should be for 5 years and 60,000 miles (mine is). They even have a defect code. But the less honest dealers try to make you believe it is regular maintenance and make you pay for it.

I'm looking for a dealer who'll treat it properly -- we have a couple of Honda dealers around here. Next step for me is to write to Honda USA.

Francis
    For a long time now car owners have faced two sets of service recommendations: the auto manufacturer's and the dealer's. The dealer's list is of course longer and service items are scheduled more frequently. You get to choose which one to follow. By agreeing to the dealer's service proposal and cost estimate, I'd say you've agreed to pay for the services performed.

Is what they're doing ethical? I don't think so, especially regarding the rear differential service. The dealer knows that Honda has a TSB out that authorizes payment, yet they charge you. The ought to reimburse you. I'd get a copy of the TSB. (http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SB/A07-024.PDF) Speak to the service manager. Any dealer interested in your continued business should try to accommodate you.
  • spankyspanky Member Posts: 1
    Hey,i work in a Honda dealership as a technician and the problem isn't a mechanical problem with the rear diff.It has to do with fluid.Honda says it due to the fluid becoming contaminated with moisture which allows the clutches within the rear diff to stick together .these rear diffs are a limited slip so the clutches allow both axles to turn when they slip.if they don't,they bind.i wouldn't drive for ever like this but it dosen' t seem to cause any problems.Honda hasn't changed the fluid as we still see the symptoms in the 08 models as well.The method we use seems to work the longest,which is,to drain the fluid.refill then get the car off the ground,put it in drive .or frst gear,then ,using a rag ,slow and stop one rear wheel,hold for a minute or so,then release and switch and do the same from the other side.do this twice.shut the engine off.then drain and fill it up.this should help.
  • crvguy2crvguy2 Member Posts: 1
    Hi all iv a 1996 Honda Crv ,its a [non-permissible content removed] inport a 2.0 auto , iv noticed a noise from the back of it when turning lert or right like the back wheels are bragging , now iv also noticed a squeeling noise from back axel , is this dangerous and whts causing it , bear in mind when i bought it the crv had being lying up for nearly 10 months in one spot with no driving at all , i would really like to know how serious these problems are and is it hard to change the anti roll bar bushins they are gone on front and back , im from ireland , hope to hear from someone soon :cry: :confuse: :sick:
  • ByeByeTitanByeByeTitan Member Posts: 2
    When turning sharp it make the bububububub noise. I drained out 5-6 oz of diff fluid, put in motor flush, and ran the car in drive up on jack stands for 30 minutes. I stopped one rear wheel, span it backwards, went to the other side, repeat, pulled e brake- bubububub, switched through the gears (auto trans), make sure you apply the brake before switching any gears, you dont want to switch anything while the wheels are spinning. BY the time I was done all 4 wheels were spinning forward. Drain and Refilled with Honda Dual Pump II fluid, NO MORE NOISE!!! 180,000 miles, problem solved. Bad fluid, maybe deposits on the gears and clutches too. No clutch burnishing required.
    Drain the rear differential, refill with Honda Dual pump fluid I or II, drive 5 miles. Drain. Re-fill. Drive. Drain, Refill. you should be done.

There is no substitute for Honda Dual pump fluid!
  • joycee333joycee333 Member Posts: 2
    I am the owner of crv sport 2006 this was a 50th birthday present and i love it. i previously owned a crv and had it for four years. I also had this rubbing noise on both my cars, the first car i had checked out a few times everyone assured me it was all ok. Mycurrent car started making the car a lot sooner (it is a low mileage car) my son reminded me the warranty expires on 16th March this year so decided to go back to Honda to check it out. They suggested a diff flush (also saying this was not a common fault) it was carried out on 11th Feb and on driving it home the noise was worse. I phoned them and they said I had to give it a couple of weeks to settle down. A month later i still had the noise and was driving down A20 when a passing motorcylist was pointing to my back wheel, smoke was pouring out and once i pulled over to the side of the road a burning smell just filled the car. Breakdown suggested brake callipers. Any way I booked it back into Honda yesterday 12th March, another diff flush only to be told I needed a new differential. Luckily they are doing this under warranty as part alone is £1500. Again i am told this is most unusal. WHO ARE THEY TRYING TO KID!!!!!! What i need to know now is where do i go from here as my warranty expires this weekend.
    It is not calipers!

If the UK CR-V any similar to the US ones, brake calipers need to be taken off and the sliding pins lubricated with Molykote-77. If you live in a snow area, this service needs to beperformed after the wintry season.

It takes me about an hour to do all 4. I clean the stainless steel springs that hold the brake pads and lubricate them as well, as the edges of the brake backing.

I am surprized the dealer did not catch this. The tell tale sign of rear caliper binding is the hoise going away after you apply brakes.

It is just part of the preventative maintenance for the rear disk brakes.

Good luck.
  • 312capri312capri Member Posts: 8
    I still own a 1998 Toyota Sienna, the one with the "sludge" issues. I've changed the engine oil every 3,000 to 4,000 miles and so far it's been okay --- we only use the van for road trips and it therefore has only 42,000 miles. Also the body integrity leaves a lot to be desired. Just as reported in Consumer Reports. There are lots of rattles and other body groans and noises. It's the XL model with leather and all the bells and whistles and while I am disappointed it runs and rides well.
  • maw9maw9 Member Posts: 1
    My CR-V is doing just what is describe in TSB 07-024. I called a local Honda dealer to see how much the service would cost (I don't expect any "goodwill consideration"). My vehicle is out of warranty but has only 64,000 miles on it. My owner's manual says change the diff. fluid at 60 months or 90,000 miles. I'm over the months but well short of the mileage. The price was about $85 which is not ridiculous but according to the service advisor, they just drain and refill the fluid, not all the steps to burnish the clutches as per the TSB. He also said that California dealers recommend this service at 15,000 miles and every 20,000 miles thereafter. A 75,000 mile difference between manufacturer and dealer recommendation! What is so different about California other than I pay for it a lot more often? I will check another dealer but am tempted to take it to a shop where I've had work done before; higher price but they will do all the steps.
  • joycee333joycee333 Member Posts: 2
    thanks for comment. It was differential had new one fitted and problem solved. Warranty run out on 16th March repair done on 18th March but because they started dealing with problem a month earlier they had to honor warranty. Will probably extend warranty for another three years at a cost of £1000 but thats cheap if another similar problem arises. What u think?
  • geeneegeenee Member Posts: 15
    The back passenger side rear on my 2002 CRV has recently started to make a constant noise. I can't really describe the noise, only to say a low purr not a squeal. It's not the brakes, that we know, and it does seem to vary with volume at certain speeds.

We noticed also recently a noise with the car making sharp turns on the one off ramps of the highway. At first we thought the tire was bad, though they are fairly new, rotated the tires and the noise is still there. Can anyone help?

Could a differential problem cause a constant noise?

Is the car safe to drive?

We plan on calling the service department tomorrow, but i am worried ..... Help!
    The back passenger side rear on my 2002 CRV has recently started to make a constant noise. I can't really describe the noise, only to say a low purr not a squeal. It's not the brakes, that we know, and it does seem to vary with volume at certain speeds.

We noticed also recently a noise with the car making sharp turns on the one off ramps of the highway. At first we thought the tire was bad, though they are fairly new, rotated the tires and the noise is still there. Can anyone help?

Could a differential problem cause a constant noise?

Is the car safe to drive?

We plan on calling the service department tomorrow, but i am worried ..... Help!

Does the noise go away when you apply brakes?

If not, then it is probably the differential. You need to change the fluid at least every 30,000 miles.

If, yes, then it is the sliding caliper assembly that needs to be cleaned and lubriacated after every winter.
  • tedtcbtedtcb Member Posts: 39
    geenee

If your V is a 2002 and you've never clanged the rear diff fluid that has to be done no matter what else they find (if anything)
    Look at message #228. It's nothing to mess around with. Get it fixed ASAP. Print a copy of the bulletin and take with you. The dealership should pay for it!! Don't let them push you around,
  • terryp1terryp1 Member Posts: 55
    I've been looking over a lot of posts here concerning the problem with the differential. Mine is an '07. From what I see, this is a design defect, though perhaps one that does not manifest itself on all CR-Vs. That makes it an interesting problem, for us and for Honda.

BTW, I went through the BBB Lemon Law challenge with Honda two years ago over the torque steer in my '05 and won. When you win under Virginia's Lemon Law, the manufacturer must buy back the vehicle, as well as pay you for interest on loans. The manufacturer deducts a certain amount for your use of the vehicle. I think it's half the IRS mileage reimbursement rate.....AND...you pay only for those miles up to the point of your first complaint. My first complaint to the dealer about torque steer was about 20,000 miles and lots of dealer visits before I won. So I didn't owe them very much. And I was getting my loan interest back.
    Instead of a cash buy back, I asked and Honda agreed to sell me an '07 at a bit of a discount.

I love the '07. But sure enough I got the vibration/moan and the dealer changed the differential fluid and burnished its clutches at 17,430 miles. I can now feel it subtly returning, like Freddy Kruger or Jason, at 24,000 miles. I expect it to be much more noticeable in a few weeks.

BUNK to those who say Honda missprinted the recommended mileage for changing the differential fluid. This is a differential, for pete's sake, not an engine. They are supposed to go for a long time between changes. LONG time.

That's why Honda recommends 60,000 and 90,000 miles depending on driving conditions.

After learning here that some differentials have locked up at high speed, obviously a very dangerous situation, I intend to indicate to Honda and the dealer that I'm very concerned about this and believe the differential needs to be replaced.

When I went to arbitration over the torque steer a couple of years ago I was very careful not to cast it as a design defect. That isn't covered in the BBB Lemon Law program because design defects show up in lots and lots of cars and Lemons are supposedly somewhat unique. Honda's rep argued at arbitration that there was no torque steer problem in the '05, which actually helped me. To the arbitrator it meant this was not a design flaw. Then when I floored it from a stoplight in D.C. and the arbitrator grabbed the arm rest as the car accelerated out of the lane and toward the curb, I figured I might win.

Apparently Honda denies a design defect causes the differential problem. Fine.
    Looks like I got another Lemon......one that can be fixed with a new differential.

And there's another twist. When I ordered the car loaded with everything.....navigation etc.....I specifically did not request AWD because I wanted slightly better mileage and we don't get much snow here. But it came with AWD anyway, no extra charge, probably because NOBODY orders one with everything BUT AWD and it would have been more trouble for them......sort of like asking McDonalds for a hamburger without mustard....it knocks them off stride.

By the way, I saw somewhere that Honda touted a curious change in the '07. They redesigned the front suspension, they said, to eliminate torque steer........even though there never really was a problem.
  • tedtcbtedtcb Member Posts: 39
    terryp1 writes: And there's another twist

That is good writing re the Lemon Law

I’m thrilled for you as far as winning in VA over the torque steer issue.
    Even though my 06 CRV had the rear diff issue at 25K (I have 60 k now and I’ve changed the rear diff twice, I see too many Vs of all generations on the road to think the problem is systemic but of course who knows if they’re AWD.
    As a Honda owner since 1977, I am surprised at this issue but so far no one’s been able to pin this as a recall kind of “Design Flaw Issue”
    Hunt around the rear diff posts and look for TSB regarding this, I would but I’m outta here for a while
    Later
    (here it is http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SB/A07-024.PDF
    Thanks.
    I have the TSB. But it calls only for a fluid change and clutch burnishing. If I now need another such fluid change after just 6,000 or 7,000 miles since the first one, with the expensive expectation of more of the same until the car and I do part, then I need a new and improved differential. That is my belief. And that will be my stance with Honda and the dealer.
    I appreciate the time you took to write your post and the information! After my "lock up" I had to get the diff. fixed only once (CRV 2006). The dealership was tight lipped and difficult. The general manager said that I'd have to pay if the diff needs repair again-I don't think so..........
    Thanks again for your insightful post! Keep us posted on any changes.
    BUNK to those who say Honda missprinted the recommended mileage for changing the differential fluid. This is a differential, for pete's sake, not an engine. They are supposed to go for a long time between changes. LONG time.

May I suggest studying the differences between a Honda RT4WD Differential and JUST a differential.

It is like using any stereotype about people. Sounds plain un-smart and un-educated.
  • cdamechcdamech Member Posts: 31
    On my 2006 at 60K Km, my Honda CRV started shaking and vibrating again with the same symptoms when I had the differential problem at 27K Km. I took it in to Honda and they replaced the front Steering fluid pump under warranty. It still shook and called the service advisor who did not return my call. I called the Service Manager who went and did a test drive with me. He authorized a rear differential fluid flush (3 times) the standard treatment for the rear differential problem. This was all done under warranty as Honda must increase coverage by 5% over 60K Km main body train warranty to 63 K Km in Canada.
    No questions asked and Honda service manager was very professional and went out of his way to make me happy.
    Obviously HONDA knows that their rear differentials have issues. I was totally impressed with HONDA service manager.
    By the way I have an Engineering degree with an MBA and do know something about cars.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    It is like using any stereotype about people.

I have a hard time equating people with differentials. :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    On my 2006 at 60K Km, my Honda CRV started shaking and vibrating again with the same symptoms when I had the differential problem at 27K Km. I took it in to Honda and they replaced the front Steering fluid pump under warranty. It still shook and called the service advisor who did not return my call. I called the Service Manager who went and did a test drive with me. He authorized a rear differential fluid flush (3 times) the standard treatment for the rear differential problem. This was all done under warranty as Honda must increase coverage by 5% over 60K Km main body train warranty to 63 K Km in Canada.
    No questions asked and Honda service manager was very professional and went out of his way to make me happy.
    Obviously HONDA knows that their rear differentials have issues. I was totally impressed with HONDA service manager.
    By the way I have an Engineering degree with an MBA and do know something about cars.

Then the engineering degree should have suggested that the problem is with the fluid breaking down, not differential.

By subtracting equations:

Same differential, old fluid = does not work
    Same differential, new fluid = works
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    Old Fluid = does not work.

Do Hondas in Canada come with longer powertrain warranty than the bumper to bumper warranty? The ones in the US come with 3 year/36,000 mile bumper to bumper, and 5 years/60,000 mile powertrain warranty.

Not sure if the 5% increase was due to law suit settled in the US over the odometer inaccuracy.
    You apparently believe that Honda's staff isn't smart enough or educated enough to publish an owner's manual that reflects the nature of the vehicle, including one with a Honda RT4WD differential.
    If it happens that they've produced a differential that needs its oil changed and its clutch plates burnished every 7,000 miles or so, they screwed up. (And I expect they know it.) They seem to believe the engine needs oil changes every 10,000 miles. And of course a differential would be expected to go much longer between changes, even one named R2-D2 or whatever.