Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2006.5 Kia Optima Styling

mickeyrommickeyrom Member Posts: 936
edited March 2014 in Kia
Almost every review by so called experts that I have read,refers to Optima as being bland,boring or traditional.Well folks,I have owned many cars in my 50 years of driving and have I got some news for them.For the first time ever,I have had strangers actually stopping me to compliment the beauty of my car.Not just one,but two.Never has this happened to me before.I guess the Optima's styling isn't all that boring after all.:)

Comments

• csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    I like the Optima exterior styling. About second among mid-sizers IMHO. The only one I like better is the Pontiac G6. I think the Optima (along with many other cars) is better overall than the Pontiac, however.

Interior styling of the Optima is also top flight, much better than the G6.

Even though I like G6 styling better than the Optima but like the Optima better as a car, I like the Optima styling better than my Malibu Maxx but like the Maxx better as an overall package. Since the G6 and Maxx share the same platform, that may seem inconsistent. It really shows that GM continues to put out cars that have detail weaknesses-- uncomfortable but pretty, and comfortable but ugly in this case.
  • mickeyrommickeyrom Member Posts: 936
    I like the back on the Pontiac better,but the front on the KIA.The finish in the interior is about as good as possible.I dont know why American manufacturers cant match the orientals.When the Toyotas and Hyundais et all,are built here they are every bid as well put together as the ones built in Asia.Must be in the design specs and tolerances.
  • gy563gy563 Member Posts: 44
    Same complain was heard in Korea.
    so KIA is coming up with face lifted (or redesigned) Optima late this month of early May in Korea. (expect it to arrive here late August or so) Including minor changes to interior.
  • micro99micro99 Member Posts: 51
    Couldn`t agree with you more on this , mickeyrom !! Seems like many of the so called experts favor the look which has sweeping flowing lines, ala the Nissan, but I think they do a dis-service to much of the buying public.In my opinion, the Optima is neither bland nor boring, although it may be
    somewhat traditional in style. Actually, it does seem to have a lot of European styling cues which just seem to grow on a person the more one looks at it .It seems to have that solid, somewhat compact style that many European luxury sedans have in their DNA !
    The Optima is a very small looking car especially from the rear.My Sonata definitely looked more substantial.
    Have you noticed that on the 2007s,really the same car,the logo and the names are in gold?I think that looks pretty nice,but mine has that old black and silver. :cry: Maybe its because a black car.I saw a red 2007,an LX,but that gold really shines.
    Lots of the Optima's size is because of the headroom. I'm 6'4 and there's far more headroom up there than I need. Because of this, the car seems much smaller than my Malibu Maxx. Still like the styling, however.
    I felt cramped as a driver until I figured out how to use the telescoping steering column.Strangely,when you pull the wheel toward you,it gives more leg and knee room.Im much happier with my Optima than I originally was.
    BTW,that damn light for the passenger air bag came on again.Maybe it was just an aberration.It only happened once so far.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    anyone else interested in what the next-gen Kia Optima may look like. Take a look at this here.

You can definitely see the back end still looks like the current Optima but the front has been doctored and incorporates some of Peter Schreyer's (new Kia body design Chief) recent styling direction found on the Kia Kee concept car and even the Kia Kue concept crossover.

Looks pretty good but you can tell it's definitely under design development at this time. Hopefully it's not a complete photoshop, I found it on the Kia World website.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

Doesn't look like the next gen. Looks like a new clip for a mid-generation restyle. Not sure if it's better than the original or not.
    ....now it looks more like a Sonata again...(to me,anyway)
This discussion has been closed.