Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Dodge Durango Engine and Performance Problems

2»

Comments

• Options
    lalleyne6847lalleyne6847 Member Posts: 2
    My 2000 Dodge Durango 4x4 V8 just stopped the other day. Took it to shop and they said the engined locked up because it was 3 quarts low, but there was oil in the engine so how did it lock up? I dont think this is the problem I dont think the engine locked up because my truck sounds like it wants to start. We have replaced the battery and its cables, put oil in it, put a new fuse in it that was blown next we are goin to see if it is the starter that needs to be replaced and we took the alternator out and had that checked and that was fine.
    Now i have come to a fork in the road..could it be something else wrong with it...i am trying to find a sight that will show me how to take my starter out so i can replace it. :cry:
  • Options
    jadedangel29fjadedangel29f Member Posts: 7
    What issues are you currently having ? When your driving it does it act like it wants to stall out ?
  • Options
    ajs211ajs211 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

Just wondering if anyone else has this problem. My Durango has been running rough on and off for a couple years now. I have to keep replacing the wires. Once I do runs good for a month or two and then back to running badly and the check engine lite comes on. I have repaced caps plugs and all that and also some sensors too.
  • Options
    jadedangel29fjadedangel29f Member Posts: 7
    What exactly is it doing? I may be able to tell you what it is....
  • Options
    lalleyne6847lalleyne6847 Member Posts: 2
    well it sounds like it wants to start or turn over, it was low on oil had to put 3 or 4 quarts in to get it up, but starter was checked and there was nothing wrong with that. IDK if it is a wirer or sensor or what it does have some milage on it.
  • Options
    ashkeashke Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Dodge Durango 5.9 L Magnum. About two weeks ago it started running really rough during acceleration and cruising speed. I have replaced the Air Filter and checked all the spark plug Wires, I have replaced a fouled plug after getting a code reading from Advanced auto parts. It said #7 was misfiring. it fouled out again the next day. I am at a loss as to what it could be. If anyone has had this issue or knows what it could be please help. I cannot afford to take it to a shop unless absolutely needed. Thank you.
  • Options
    floterfloter Member Posts: 1
    the mechanic found 3 broken bolts on the right side passenger manifolold. it fixed like 75% of the noise but still doing it every morning . what else I can check. it seems like this issue is world wide.

Thanks
  • Options
    madmejiamadmejia Member Posts: 5
    I found that the durango's do not like any sparkplug but Champions. i had the same issue. brand new sparkplugs then 3 days later, 2 blown. Also, make sure that you put that gunct on the sparkplugs that help not shorting out. it seems that they have an issue with that too.
  • Options
    madmejiamadmejia Member Posts: 5
    Its a known issue. Mines been doing that as long as I have own it. get use to it.
  • Options
    joshw224101joshw224101 Member Posts: 1
    Hi there, it sounds like you blew the motor. most of those v8 durangos are 5qts of oil. if you were that low the heat builds very quickly even on a cold day. this heat can cause the pistons to swell and get pinched at the top of the cylinder. I had this happen to a suburban when Firestone left a drain plug loose.
    Do not start throwing money at it ( replacing the o2 sensors, starter, battery, distributor/ coils ect ect..) If it is what it sounds like you either pre seized the engine, bent a piston rod or intake/exhaust valve.

there is a small chance it will start up again after sitting a few days. do not drive it like this as it will cause unrepairable damage to the engine.

At this point I would take it to a good ASE mechanic shop and ask them to see if they can turn the motor by hand and if it needs a new engine or if it is possible to rebuild the stock one.
  • Options
    collyn1023collyn1023 Member Posts: 1
    We have a 99 dodge Durango bringing up codes po123 and po443 and it runs pretty good but after driving for a bit it just dies then start up again and dies again we have changed pcv valve, fuel pump & filter & lines, the Tps, plugs and wires, fuel cap, rotor, distrib. Cap, purge valve/ sylenoid, power steering pump, battery and cables, air filter. We just don't know what else to try its got us boggled and penniless lol any ideas???
  • Options
    schreij1schreij1 Member Posts: 1
    flood smoke no check eng. light , any idea wat it mite be ? it is a 5.2 ltr.
  • Options
    tinaweebletinaweeble Member Posts: 1
    I have an '03 durango. Lately I have noticed that it is shifting slow when I first start driving it. Then it was shaking this morning on startup.  I'm praying it's not transmission. I will start with looking and the Trans fluid and spark plugs

• Options
    1999durango11999durango1 Member Posts: 3
    Hello all, I just signed up to this sight, and as my name you can see my issue. So - 99 durango 5.9 slt. in cold weather here in chicago, she runs like a top, perfect. the minute its over 50 degress... NO BUS. I replaced the pcm last year with a reman.. no good. replaced the crank shaft sensor... NOPE. battery and alt, only bc they were needed, again ran great in the cold, but NOPE. pulled each of the five sensors during the NO BUS period, no change. I modified some air flow . NOPE. tried to make a insulation box around the PCM. NOPE. Yesterday it was near 60, it died constantly, today was 48 it ran perfectly. I contacted dodge... OOOO they say "never heard of it' apparently they dont look on the web. they want me to pay hourly labor to diagnose what 5 mechanics couldnt... YEAH. So one guy said it might be the ignition coil... tho that makes no sense bc it starts perfectly, cept when waiting for the PCM to cool down... aaarrrggggg anyone come to any solution ? my only other idea would be splicing wires and running the pcm inside the cab or the fender.... I had the pcm replaced last year, it did the same shite two weeks later. Its gotta be a heat issue seeing as how it didnt NO BUS on me from sept 14 till a few days ago. Yikes .
  • Options
    One more thing, the crankshaft sensor I put in was one of those crappy china ones from autozone.... my buddy who ones a shop says spend the extra and get the actual dodge one.... even tho pulling the sesnsor during the NO BUS on the OD doesnt change anything, he swears by it... uuggggg how many more parts do I have to throw at this thing??? I love this truck but CMON
  • Options
    ^^^ I cant spell/type when I am livid ha ha ha
  • Options
    union627union627 Member Posts: 1
    Mine was doing the same thing. First thing my mechanic said was "transmission". Turned out to be the fan making that noise. The clutch for the fan was seized up. $65.00 for a new one.

Mine was doing the same thing. First thing my mechanic said was "transmission". Turned out to be the fan making that noise. The clutch for the fan was seized up. $65.00 for a new one.
    My 2004 Durango started making that weird sound when I got the new clutch for the fan. In fact I kept returning them to autozone. 4 times in one week. I got the fifth one at pep boys and the sound is still there 
  • Options
    thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,747
    Maybe the sound you are hearing isn't actually coming from the cooling fan.