Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Genesis Sedan 2009+

Comments

• gamlegedgamleged Member Posts: 442
    "Regarding the ad, it is a backhanded compliment to the lexus, as it looks 10x better than the Azera side-by-side..."

Well, it's your choice to quantify just HOW much better you feel that the lexus looks. Do you use an acceptable standard of measurement to achieve the "10x," or are we in the realm of YP (your opinion)? :P

"...and they show the car parking itself, which is one of it's defining, most-sought after features.

A common question is: 'is this the car that parks itself?' Lexus likes when the feature is associated with the LS. This is a good thing!

Lexus will not be hurt by the flattering ad. That's what the ad means to me. If you can't see the flattery, maybe YOU shouldn't comment on the ad anymore."

It IS a flattering ad for Lexus, and by association, a flattering ad for the far-less-expensive Azera, as well! I'm sorry that the light-hearted advertising campaign seems to have somehow left you out in the cold. :cry:

"3) Specifically, the Accent and the Elantra, while up, dealers across the US are still plagued by some serious supply issues. Sonata is down because almost a year-long fleet initiative program ended recently (November 2006) to broaden the Sonata and brand's appeal. Numbers will be down compare to last year's as it shrinks such channel. Azera has been performing well, with almost 90% of the Limited trim being sold, and the shinning star presently seems to be the Santa Fe, which is an impressive product and possibly argued as one of the best in the class.

As I've said, maybe Hyundai should get their house in order before chasing White Elephants. That's what I said. Get your stuff tight, THEN chase your DREAMS. DREAMS is the key word here.

DrFill"

Well, if you're of the opinion (YP again) that Hyundai can't walk and chew gum at the same time (or sell current models and develop new models at the same time), then I'd understand your concern.

But as Hyundai is (as I recall reading a while back) the world's sixth largest manufacturer of vehicles, and intends to be the world's fifth largest by 2010, I'd suggest that the movers and shakers of that particular division are likely aware of both their current place and their current direction (their "dreams" as you have it) and are very likely to have a strong and well-thought-out business model which is sufficiently flexible to accomplish that goal... or dream...
    ;)
  • drfilldrfill Member Posts: 2,484
    You should really do some research before you post.

You lose credibility when you make claims like that. I've shown my work.

I am a Lexus LS in a Hyundai commercial! :surprise:

DrFill
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324
    as it looks 10x better than

that is based on personal tastes, I would bet for every one who says 'A' looks better you could find another who says 'B' looks better.

As I've said, maybe Hyundai should get their house in order

Hyundai has their ducks in a row. Those that ignore that do so at great risk.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

as it looks 10x better than

that is based on personal tastes, I would bet for every one who says 'A' looks better you could find another who says 'B' looks better.

As I've said, maybe Hyundai should get their house in order

Hyundai has their ducks in a row. Those that ignore that do so at great risk.

First Ting: Sales went up about 60 vehicles! In a year! I called it a sales plateau.

While it only went up 60 cars it did go up at a time when sales of all cars were pretty bland. I call that good.

Let's remind the people: Sales are down this year, more than 60 deals.

Lets remind people that sales are pretty much down industry wide.

They've had 2-3 good years,

They have had more than 2-3 years. 7 years ago when I bought my wagon they were saying how the current crop of Hyundais were greatly improved and now (then) as good as most cars. that was 7 years ago not 2-3 years.

Edmunds said Santa Fe is #3 in it's class behind Rav4 and CX-7, and CR-V wasn't included. The Santa Fe is supposed to be some big deal, right?

I know one CR-V driver and one rav-4 driver who will strongly consider the Santa Fe next time around. So I guess it is some big deal.

• joe97joe97 Member Posts: 2,248
    You lose credibility when you make claims like that. I've shown my work.

They are facts, not claims. Again please do the research.

What work have you shown? Was it your baseless tier groups, or was it the fact you wouldn't want to admit Hyundai can run with the big boys, when most others do, including the industry and its competitions (e.g. Toyota, GM).

"You're probably too young to recall back in the days Honda and Toyota in the position of Hyundai's. Back then, no one gave a look to them, and they were proven wrong. Hyundai's got a really good shot replicating such result, with even faster pace, and you sound exactly like the naysayers of the old days who passed on the Japanese"
    You have a point, I can't think of the last time I had to parallel park, or at least where I had to manervour to do it. Automatic parallel park is almost completely useless for most people.

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,146
    Most women, who might be the ones to appreciate the feature, probably have to parallel park 0% of the time. That's at the mall, pull into the space; store front, pull into the space, Rodeo Drive, valet parks it; Wendy's, pull nto the space.

They don't even do a parallel park test for the driving test anymore.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

Agreed. Only required in certain major cities (e.g. NYC) and downtown areas of smaller towns.

The LS self-parks in about 73 seconds, when works - that's almost a minute and 15 seconds!! The system is not as easy as it looks - after a few tries, I finally got it to work. The times when it failed, the car keeps backing into the direction of other parked cars despite everything programed correctly. It was a good thing I was in a parking lot because at some major city streets, I would be honked so many times if I took that long to park, even at 73 seconds.

I really like the Touran self-park system, it works just as effective but more efficient and in less time.
    When I make a point, I back it up with a link, or I reference the a test. You didn't see me refernece the Edmunds' test, or post links to sales numbers? :confuse:

Show me something where Hyundai is "running with the big boys", beside a couple of good test scores over the last 2-3 years.

They sell less than 500k a year with 7 vehicles? With lower prices and bigger warranties? Tell me when to be impressed, please. Draw a map for me.

Toyota sales rise 10%+ a year for the last 5 years. When you are already selling 1.5 million, THAT'S AN ACCOMPLISHMENT!

Going from 100k to 450k is good. Now drop the warranty, and increase sales. Then I'll admit you've got something. Other than a warranty to sell. :surprise:

DrFill
  • jimsinkoreajimsinkorea Member Posts: 23
    Here is a link for you drfill.

http://members.forbes.com/global/2005/0425/024.html

Read the article for what it is, not the negatives you always seem to see. The title says it all. It also has quotes from Honda and Toyota leaders putting at least one of your comments about Toyota and Honda not being worried to rest. Hyundai is sensible and educated people in today’s society understand sensible cars. I am guessing you are one of those people who would buy a car just for your perceived social status, just to impress, just in case I lost you. Hyundai is, with all you get including price and warranty, as even with those other vehicles you mention to any rational person who isn't worried about a badge or status symbol. I own a Lexus, a top of the line Lexus, and it is a fantastic vehicle in every sense. I also own an Azera, it to is a fantastic vehicle in every sense and it cost 55K less than the Lexus. I sure am having a great time with the money I saved on my 2nd car....
  • splx81splx81 Member Posts: 23
    Hyudai can play with the big boys.
    What makes me think like that?

In 2006,

1. Hyundai became the 6th largest automobile company in the world in 40 years!! (beating HONDA and Nissan as well).

2. Hyundai was 3rd place in JD-POWER initial quality. 1st and 2nd was Porsche and Lexus meaning that Hyudai was 1st place in non-luxury brand. Guess who was the 4th? TOYOTA! right..TOYOTA!

3. According to Fortune, Hyundai was 80th in top 100 companies in the world.

-> can these be some "ACCOMPLISHMENT" ? :)
    I love it when you agree with me. Such rapport!

What do all of those things have in common? :surprise:

DrFill
    Well, you own a Lexus, so you have some credibility, you're not just a shill. Good job on that! ;)

I'll overlook your snide comment, and let you know how I choose cars.

I buy what I like. That's it.

And it doesn't hurt if it's made by the best comapnies on Earth, or better yet, in America. And Edmunds' opinion generally coincide with my own. That helps.

Works for me oh so nicely. ;)

DrFill
    Show me something where Hyundai is "running with the big boys", beside a couple of good test scores over the last 2-3 years.

You're now really just arguing semantics now.

Read the industry reviews, read the quotes from top execs, just go read something. Anyone who knows a little about the auto industry is aware of the FACT Hyundai being a formidable brand to be reckoned with, and for years to come. I don't know but somehow you've been feeding info most of us aren't getting.

They sell less than 500k a year with 7 vehicles?

And Toyota sells more than 26 vehicles in the US, you point?

Now drop the warranty

We went through this before - the warranty is above and beyond just a marketing ploy.

For one, I would never suggest any automaker to drop its warranty program just to prove something, regardless how wonderful its products are. It's crazy to even suggest something like this.
    Well, you own a Lexus, so you have some credibility, you're not just a shill. Good job on that!

There you go boys and girls - you heard it here first.

That's just great logic on your part - you are really showing your fanboy status now.
  • splx81splx81 Member Posts: 23
    I posted those facts because I thought those might help you understand that Hyudai can play with the big boys. I guess it didn't work :cry:
    Toyota doesn't sell 26 vehicles. Toyota, Lexus, and Scion do, collectively. That's not what we're talking about. Staying on topic helps.

The point is Hyundai makes these great cars, has better prices, has this huge warranty, and they still struggle. Why?

So now warranty is a marketing ploy? Kinda like 0% financing?

Ford gives their cars away too. Should I be impressed by them? Aren't they bringing up successful vehicles (certainly not made by Ford) in ads to sell one of their sleds as well?

Maybe Toyota/Honda should learn from these incredible marques on how to sell cars? Big warranties. Give them away. Nice. ;)

Desperate times....

Good night all. :surprise:

DrFill
    You're not very witty drfill... Enlighten us on what kind of vehicle you drive. I see an uneducated person trying to sound educated... :shades:

I doubt you have owned or driven most of the vehicles you refer to beyond maybe a test drive.
    Try to be nice to some people. :lemon:

I drive a Mini and a Mazda 3.

Poke holes in those two for me. If you please. This should be interesting. :surprise:

DrFill
    I think you try to poke more holes than anyone else. I see you had no comment on Honda and Toyota commenting on Hyundai's rise...
    Poke holes in those two for me.

See there is your problem. You insist on picking up unnecessary fights and posting inaccurate info trying to somehow discredit others.

The Mini and the 3 are great small cars but that's not what we are discussing, back to the BH please.
  • ricwhitericwhite Member Posts: 292
    Wow. . . still feeding the troll. I'll check back later.
    Give me one inaccuracy. Just one.

I've linked facts, and posted my opinions. That's all.

DrFill
    Jim, what do you think they're gonna say? Hyundai ain't worth a damn? :confuse:

Toyota and Honda know if they do what they do best, Hyundai is not a threat, at least to them.

If Honda or Toyota really cared, they would lower prices, or raise their warranties. That ain't happening.

My point is conisitent. GM can barely bring up Toyota without looking bad. Where does Hyundai get off saying anything about BMW or Lexus? What have they done to get in the ring with the best?

A couple of nice articles and surveys ain't getting it done.

This Genesis will have to be Chrysler 300 and Lexus LS all in one, and with a dealership to match the hype.

Just letting you know, you might not wanna bet the farm just yet. They seem to be having a full plate keeping Hyundai growing.

DrFill
  • punkr77punkr77 Member Posts: 183
    Toyota and Honda know if they do what they do best, Hyundai is not a threat, at least to them.

If Honda or Toyota really cared, they would lower prices, or raise their warranties. That ain't happening.

I'd put a big "yet" at the end of both these statements. Right now Hyundai vehicles are close, but not quite there in comparison to Honda and Toyota. But for the last several years they've consistently come out with products that were much better than anyone would have believed they were capable of. At the rate their going, Toyota and Honda will be lowering prices or extending warranties in another 5 to 10 years.

One could also compare the situation to Detroit vs Honda and Toyota in the 70's. Perhaps Honda and Toyota will coast on their reputation and loyal buyers only to wake up one day and find they're in real trouble.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Agreed. Only required in certain major cities (e.g. NYC) and downtown areas of smaller towns.

The LS self-parks in about 73 seconds, when works - that's almost a minute and 15 seconds!! The system is not as easy as it looks - after a few tries, I finally got it to work. The times when it failed, the car keeps backing into the direction of other parked cars despite everything programed correctly. It was a good thing I was in a parking lot because at some major city streets, I would be honked so many times if I took that long to park, even at 73 seconds.

Good luck using this system in NYC! I parrallel park in Manhattan daily and there is no way the Lexus system could shoe-horn itself into 90% of the parking spots here!

-mike
    Give me one inaccuracy. Just one.

I will give you several.

1) Your so-called tier groups

2) Hyundai not being a threat to other automakers (google Hyundai threat to Toyota, as an example); and not being able to "run with the big boys"

3) Related: Hyundai just treading water, and nothing more; and then you said its success was only shown the past two to three years

Also, your biased opinions - Hyundai having marginal vehicles, which probably means you haven't even tested any of its fleet, or even better, someone who owns a Lexus has credibility for posting here.

Plus your stubbornness, failing to factor issues such as scandal, strikes, stronger currency, which mitigated some of the momentum; failing to understand the point of those ads, yet continue to arguing against the facts after information was provided to you; no automakers are invisible, including Toyota and Honda (e.g. large amount of recalls; subsidized lease deals and lower aprs, tundra and prius come to mind)
  • dborthdborth Member Posts: 474
    A new day, and nothing posted yet from drfill?? Things are looking up!
    Joey, babe. Listen.

A. My tiers are my opinion, and you have yet to show these can be refutable. If you can show how Hyundai is anything higher than 3rd Tier, go right ahead. Be my guest. But you need sales volume to get to Tier 1, and most in Tier 2 out-produce Hyundai, and have some brand equity to speak of.

I'll cut you a deal. If Hyundai, with Kia, even though we aren't talking about Kia, can get 5% of the market, you can go to 2nd Tier. Fair enough?

B. How is Hyundai a threat to 'Yota? Honda? Explain. You haven't done that yet. Getting some lip service when a reporter asks a question doesn't prove anything. Show how Toyota or Honda have changed to accomodate this new challenger. Do people WANT a Hyundai, honestly? I know many who WANT Honda or Toyota. That's why sales for them are up, not flat. ;)

C. Sales have leveled-off, and I have proven that. And new models haven't spurred sales.

That's textbook tread ware. Even new tires isn't helping! :P

I've provided just as many facts, and you have been as stubborn, if not more.

I call a spade a spade. Toyota is on top. Honda and Nissan secure the 2nd level, and Hyundai is climbing, but obviously is starting to have trouble. Let's bring in BMW and Lexus for some help.

Help! :surprise:

DrFill
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Most women, who might be the ones to appreciate the feature, probably have to parallel park 0% of the time.

How very condescending of you! For the record, I parallel-park nearly every day, and am world-class at it to boot.

Everyone: Please stick to discussing the Genesis division, and keep the general conversation about Hyundai as a company on the Auto News board where it belongs. Thanks!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Genesis Division or Genesis Model? I thought it was a model not a whole division?

-mike
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Well, I could be wrong - I'm more interested in keeping the conversation on-track rather than talking (read: arguing) about Hyundai warranties, Hyundai quality, and who is/isn't a troll.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Oh I agree on that one, no need for that here!

I did browse over the MT article on the Genesis, looks to be a winner with the power and pricing. We'll see how it turns out in the end.

-mike
    When's the auto show where the actual car will be on display.

• bumpybumpy Member Posts: 4,425
    The concept? That was at New York last week.
    http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/AutoshowArticles/articleId=97785
  • bfriendedbfriended Member Posts: 14
    DrFill, are you crazy? You post this link and says sales are down? The title of this article is "Hyundai 2007 March Sets Record Sales"...

Umm, that seems pretty good to me. Setting records says a lot about what the new models are doing for sales. :P
    >That was at New York last week.

Are there upcoming shows where the Concept Genesis may be shown?

From start to finish in one sitting. of course I am supposed to be working and my boss is paying me to read, but I did it anyway and am proud...

OK, first of all I am a mortgage broker and make 6 figures a year. Guess what I drive?

A 2004 Hyundai Sonata. My wife drives a 2006 Hyundai Santa Fe. Could I afford a nicer car? Of course. But I love the cars that I drive. no complaints from me.

I have owned a 1987 Hyundai Excel (my first new car ever) that was a hatch back base model with the only option being a cassette radio. No A/C and I live in Phoenix, AZ. The car sucked, but I kept it with minor repairs for 164,000 miles. My GF at the time wrecked it when she went out for ice cream. My insurance company gave me $1650 for it as a pay off. :-)

I owned a 2002 Hyundai Santa Fe that my wife drove until she hit 86,000. The only problem we ever had was some wind noise which the company fixed at no cost, and they replaced the gas cap as it was causing the check engine light to come on.

Before we traded that in I bought my 2004 Sonata which I love. I have had no issues at all with it and currently have 78,000 miles on it.

About 6 months ago I traded in the 2002 for a 2006 Santa Fe. My wife loves that car. No issues with it and almost 20,000 miles.

I had looked last week at the Azera, but I am going this week to check out the Veracruz. I will see which I like better after the test drive and of course that is what we will get.

BTW, we are proud to tell people that we are a "Hyundai Family". Yes, I can afford a BMW or Lexus. I like knowing that I drive a car that I truly love and that I did not spend that much money for.

I cannot wait until this Genesis comes out. I can almost guarantee that I will be driving one.

Also, when you read reviews of Hyundai products on Edmunds, have you ever noticed how many of the people that posted owned a Hyundai and bought a new one? it is amazing. Hyundai owners have a very strong loyalty to the brand.

Have a good day.
    From start to finish in one sitting. of course I am supposed to be working and my boss is paying me to read, but I did it anyway and am proud...

OK, first of all I am a mortgage broker and make 6 figures a year. Guess what I drive?

A 2004 Hyundai Sonata. My wife drives a 2006 Hyundai Santa Fe. Could I afford a nicer car? Of course. But I love the cars that I drive. no complaints from me.

I have owned a 1987 Hyundai Excel (my first new car ever) that was a hatch back base model with the only option being a cassette radio. No A/C and I live in Phoenix, AZ. The car sucked, but I kept it with minor repairs for 164,000 miles. My GF at the time wrecked it when she went out for ice cream. My insurance company gave me $1650 for it as a pay off. :-)

I owned a 2002 Hyundai Santa Fe that my wife drove until she hit 86,000. The only problem we ever had was some wind noise which the company fixed at no cost, and they replaced the gas cap as it was causing the check engine light to come on.

Before we traded that in I bought my 2004 Sonata which I love. I have had no issues at all with it and currently have 78,000 miles on it.

About 6 months ago I traded in the 2002 for a 2006 Santa Fe. My wife loves that car. No issues with it and almost 20,000 miles.

I had looked last week at the Azera, but I am going this week to check out the Veracruz. I will see which I like better after the test drive and of course that is what we will get.

BTW, we are proud to tell people that we are a "Hyundai Family". Yes, I can afford a BMW or Lexus. I like knowing that I drive a car that I truly love and that I did not spend that much money for.

I cannot wait until this Genesis comes out. I can almost guarantee that I will be driving one.

Also, when you read reviews of Hyundai products on Edmunds, have you ever noticed how many of the people that posted owned a Hyundai and bought a new one? it is amazing. Hyundai owners have a very strong loyalty to the brand.

Have a good day.
  • floridabob1floridabob1 Member Posts: 1,190
    RE: 344
    Your posting indicates that you can well afford to purchase other brands, but you choose to drive Hyundais.
    Is it that you think that they are the best cars on the road, or that you choose to buy other things or save your money?
    Do you think that Hyundai is the best automaker?
    Do you believe that the Genesis, if and when it is introduced, will be the best high performance luxury car on the road?
    I thought it was a model not a whole division?

So did I and I have seen nothing to truly suggest otherwise.

• standepuystandepuy Member Posts: 23
    I like the looks of the Genesis except for the trunk.
    When viewed from the side there is that continuous line that connects the rear window angle to the bumper. It makes the trunk look like it's being held up by a sling.:confuse:
  • kingsalmonkingsalmon Member Posts: 97
    Rocky,

I think I'm falling in love with the new you...lol...j/k (I'm not gay) I fully agree with you on the whole people needing to grow up thing. Although I agree with you in theory, I will have to disagree with you from the business perspective.

It's sad to say, but people who live in America are image concious and would not be caught driving a Hondai(the way they pronounce it). I'm not saying that's cool. I'm just saying that's the way it is.

It may cost more to make new emblems and build a seperate division, but it would be more successful in the long run.

In the beginning they should expect to lose money or stay flat with profits. Then once they develop a fan base they can start to make some hefty profits while undercutting their competition.

They should do to the luxury segment what they have done to the lower/middle segment.

Appreciate you're input Rocky.

-dan
    I buy Hyundai because I honestly believe that they are the best VALUE for my money. I get more for less.
  • rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    Rocky,

I think I'm falling in love with the new you...lol...j/k (I'm not gay) I fully agree with you on the whole people needing to grow up thing.

LOL.....Well I'm glad I impress you. I look at it this way pal, if Hyundai can pay union workers who make the UAW look like [non-permissible content removed] cats a gold package wage and benefits which I support then by golly they should be applauded. They don't have "greed" in their corporate philosophy and the pie is sliced fairly and the workers do their part to make sure the car is screwed togeather properly. Hyundai, has learned to engineer a awesome automobile like the Genesis. The car isn't marked up several thousands because of a emblem thus we the customer get the best "value" going
    today in the auto-industry. ;)

Although I agree with you in theory, I will have to disagree with you from the business perspective.

Well I never said bringing a emblem aka "luxury brand" to the market would be a bad long-term solution. I guess it's worth risking even though I personally might wait a few more years. I however would still consider the Genesis, as a next car if it still gave me the "value" part. I don't need them to mark the car up several thousands because of the emblem like other luxury brands. If they wanted to charge me a few more bucks for some extra perks or added technology I'd still buy it. ;)

It's sad to say, but people who live in America are image concious and would not be caught driving a Hondai(the way they pronounce it). I'm not saying that's cool. I'm just saying that's the way it is.

-Agree.....However their would still be several buyers if Hyundai, keeps the Genesis, a Hondai :P

It may cost more to make new emblems and build a seperate division, but it would be more successful in the long run.

Yes, the long-term benefit would yield good future numbers for the company. It would certainly open new doors for Hyundai. ;)

In the beginning they should expect to lose money or stay flat with profits. Then once they develop a fan base they can start to make some hefty profits while undercutting their competition.

I think a new luxury division would be hott !!!! If they can get people to try the products out they might just take over Lexus, in the luxury car spot. Why ? "Value" !!!! That was the winning formula for Lexus ;)

They should do to the luxury segment what they have done to the lower/middle segment.

Agree....Acura, is a value leader but they didn't mix the right formula with the Acura RL. The RL, didn't have the right hardware (V8) to fight off it's competition. The Genesis, will easily take out the RL, unless Acura, gets their crap togeather quickly. ;)

Appreciate you're input Rocky.

No problem dan. I think we agree more than you think pal. ;)

Rocky
    You get it.....Your words are exactly why this company is a success and why the Genesis, will reign King of the hill. A Luxury Brand would make it King of the Mountain !!! ;)

Rocky
  • dborthdborth Member Posts: 474
    The NY Auto Show is over and obviously Hyundai suits have a lot of Genesis market research and focus group feedback now. I think it would be wise for them to make a definitive statement about future Genesis plans, if any.

I for one would bust my Azera lease if I could be the first kid on my block to have one, even though I promised my wife an '07 Santa Fe. :blush:
  • bumpybumpy Member Posts: 4,425
    The auto show season is just about over. The only upcoming shows are Albuquerque and Pittsburgh in the next two weeks, then things start up again in November.
    Albuquerque :surprise:

Do you have a list of cars that will be shown ? I might go check it out if it will be fun enough ? ;)

Rocky