Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Genesis Sedan 2009+

Comments

• alonzo2alonzo2 Member Posts: 46
    With recent events on the news and Toyotas problems I agree with your concerns about a break over ride. I was thinking about tying a string to the main link fuse that supplies spark to the plugs and running it through the firewall. Then if all the electronics fail at once as seems to happen on the Toyotas I could pull the string while my wife deploys her large umbrella out of the window to slow down the car. In fact this package could be offered as an option and they could call it the "low tech" package and charge $7000 for it. But I guess I'm stringing you along a little. I share your concerns. I'd hate to find out how fast my V6 will go on regular gas!
  • jsmit86jsmit86 Member Posts: 116
    I am considering a Genesis. I see that the Dunlop A/S tires are not suitable for Snow use from the many postings. I know that dedicated snow tires are best, but I am wondering if anyone has had a good experience with other All Season tires in the snow. Anyone?
  • twinbtwinb Member Posts: 140
    Michelin M/S LTX have decent traction & long mileage (>50,000), but a bit noisy in the summer. I see them on lots of cars here in the snow belt.
  • bman900bman900 Member Posts: 55
    I read some recent postings at other sites indicating the following changes for the 2011 Genesis Sedan: The 3.8 litre V6 could be bumped to 305 HP, as well as some possible minor facelifts to the headlights/grille and tail-lights. They also mention a small change to the exhaust tips. Can anyone confirm?
  • bman900bman900 Member Posts: 55
    My 2006 Hyundai Sonata V6 recently had a failure in the drive-by-wire throttle body, but the system functioned as designed. As soon as the electronic throttle failed, the car went into 'limp power mode' and would not rev above 2000 rpm for safety reasons. The check engine light stayed on until I got home. The dealership later confirmed the throttle pedal had a failure by diagnosing the error code that was tripped - they replaced it under warranty. I would assume the Genesis has a similiar if not better design.
    Wow that is impressive engineering. If Toyota only had this system they would have fewer headaches today. I have taken my Q45 throttle body all apart and except for the cruise control it's all springs valve and control cable. What is a "drive by wire" throttle body? As I understand it some are alleging the Toyota problem results from electronics that override the mechanical control of the throttle body. It sounds like Hyundai also has electronic control of the throttle body but that it has an override system that will not allow it to rev uncontrollably. We used to call these type of system failures "poles in the left half plane" where the output of the control system increased the input until the system went to infinity and became unstable. It kind of jolts my frame to think a micro processor can override my input via the control cable. At any rate once again Hyundai seems to have a better idea.
  • doug71doug71 Member Posts: 20
    I've had my Genesis for year and half. This is the second winter. First winter on the OEM Dunlops. Worst tire I've ever had. Replace the Dunlops-this winter no problems what so ever. I put Cooper Touring all seasons on, nice tire. We, live in the mountains of Western Pa. not easy winters.
  • houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    edited March 2010
    We, live in the mountains of Western Pa. not easy winters.

That is probably an understatement !!

Not your typical car for that part of the country. You must really like it during the rest of the year.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• miklomiklo Member Posts: 67
    I live in Arizona and I have brown and black interior and it wasnt a problem for me last summer,thats why I have an air conditioner,but really IMO I have never seen that much of a difference with the color inside or outside, OFC there is some but when its hot its hot....lol and after 100 it doesnt much matter 2me its just hott. I would say go with what you like and dont sweat the small stuff,anyway thats my take on it.
    Miklo
  • jsmit86jsmit86 Member Posts: 116
    Can you post the specifics of the Cooper tires?
  • toyetoye Member Posts: 351
    I had the Bridgestone Turanza all performance tires on my Genesis for a over a month and I've been very, very happy with them. My car is even more quiet on the highway, then when it was bought! I paid $1047 including alignment and free rotation.
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,856
    I would specify which model Turanza if you can. The reason I say that is there are several models in that line. The Turanza EL400 while pricey IMO isn't that great a choice because they only lasted 28K on my Avalon. That tire also got noisier as it wore and was just ok in the rain and snow.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

edited March 2010
    Serenity 235/50R18-97W-BW6.5-8.5 45k warrenty

My Service man recomended these tires for the Genesis. I've been with them since 96 and they are family owned since 1965. I trust them!!!
    Thanks! I would hate to see anyone put EL400s on the Genesis!

Thanks! I would hate to see anyone put EL400s on the Genesis! The Serenity line OTOH is great

• gensiscangensiscan Member Posts: 17
    It's been about three months now :) ;

Dunlop ; SP Winter Sport 3D (Performance Winter/Snow)

Size: 225/55R17
    Serv. Desc: 97H Load Index 97 = 1609lbs (730kg) per tire
    Speed Rating “H” = 130mph (210kph)
    Price: $149.00 (each)

Like JSMIT86, I've been very happy with them. My car is even more quiet on the highway, then when it was bought!

TIRERACK.COM ;

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Dunlop&tireModel=SP+Winter+Spor- t+3D&partnum=255HR7WS3DV2
    GREAT!!! Better than those originals!
  • colegarcolegar Member Posts: 80
    3.8 (V6) Black/Black w/all options

Here goes my 5,000 mile update at 50,000 miles on the odometer. Until last week, I thought that I would be giving the same boring update that there were no problems to report. However, I started noticing a slight shutter when I was either coasting down a slight grade or when I barely, barely was tipping back into the accelerator after coasting. I took the car in and left it with the dealer but they could not feel it. So, I went on another trip and verified to myself that I was not imagining things. Long story short, I went on a ride with the service manager and he and I became convinced that the torque converter on the transmission could not make up its mind whether it should lock up (as it normally does during acceleration) or release, as it does when not accelerating. The service manager asked for time to research it, so I drove away. Before I had been gone five minutes, he called and asked if I could come back because they had received a new service bulletin from Hyundai which described the shuttering symptom and called for a “flash” of the Electronic Computer Module (ECM). That only took fifteen minutes and it does seem to have cured the problem. However, since I have been out of the country on business since that time, I only have about twenty miles on the car since they flashed the ECM. If I discover that the computer flash has not completely rectified the problem, I will post an update on this blog. Incidentally, since the V8 Genesis has a transmission made ZF, whereby the V6 transmission is made by Asian, I do not know if the service bulleting applies to any of you that are driving the V8.

Other than the episode above, the car is great at 50K. I still think it sets the bar higher than anything in its price range. As I have said in the past, I don’t have the itch to trade it for something else and that is saying something since all my friends tease me about never keeping a car long enough to wear out a set of tires.

Here are my only nitpicks:

• I wish the Tire Pressure Monitoring system showed the actual PSI for each tire (like my Acura did). The TPM on the Genesis will tell you that you have low pressure on a specific wheel but not how low. I am a complete nut about keeping the tires inflated correctly and it would be nice to see each wheel’s real-time PSI.

• If you park your car in a garage, don’t trust the ambient temperature readout until you have driven at least five or ten minutes. It is incredibly slow to reach the actual outside temperature. Most other brands reach the actual temperature within one mile.

• The sound of the engine/exhaust does not do much for me. It is not offensive but it is also not inspiring. Here I go again comparing it to the BMW that I had.

• You all know that I hate that the speedometer exaggerates the actual speed!

• Yes … they do need to tweak the suspension to keep the handling but soften the response to bumps in the road.

Put me in any car for 50,000 miles and I would come up with a list of nitpicks at least this bad. By that, I mean that my overall take on the Genesis is very favorable. Great performance, great fuel mileage, great comfort, and all the bells and whistles. Thousands of dollars less expensive than its legitimate competition!
    colegar thanks for a great update :) as always you give some very good and useful info thanks. I am impressed at the speed at which your service rep addressed your problem,I'm also impressed with how well your car is doing and I would expect that I will have same. Although it will be some time B4 I get to 50,000 miles since mine just turned 9,000.....lol but it has been 15 months of care free and trouble free driving 4me.Again I want to thank you for such great updates that I find very useful....... keep em coming. :D
    MIKLO
    Thinks Miklo. I always read your posts and I can tell how pleased you are with your Genesis.

I will be driving about 750 miles this week which should reveal if my transmission issue is resolved. If so, it was a very easy fix that only took about fifteen minutes.
    Colegar

When did your first set of tires wear out and what did you replace them with?
    Your welcome colegar ,but really TY, you are in fact the best source of valid info on this site,and I for one really appreciate you taking your time to inform us. :)
    MIKLO
    I actually replaced the tires at around 25,000 miles even though I could have gotten another 8,000 or more out of them. This was because I ran over a road hazzard and ruined one of the four. I do not like having a mismatch with just one tire being new so I replaced the full set.

I am now running Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus and like them overall. They are a completely different animal than the original Dunlops, both good and bad. The bad is that they are very expensive and they are not as quiet. The good is that they seem to be wearing well and they bring a whole new degree of handling and resposiveness. I expect to get around 33,000 miles out of them. At that point, they will still have some miles left in them but I am never happy with the last 20% of tread life.
    Mine were worn (the back ones) at 23k I could have gotten 8k more in the front but like you if was affecting the driving performance. I was recomended the Bridgestone Turanza Serenity at $1047 including alignment. What a difference in performance and handling!! They were even more quiet than the Dunlaps. Now hopefully I will be able to get twice as much miles (rated 45k). Sounds like you have had good luck on yours so far :)
  • cincymikecincymike Member Posts: 11
    Has anyone had a remote start added, after market?.Can it be done?
    all Genesis has remote starts
    all Genesis has remote starts .

My 09 doesn't.

Are you in the USA?
    Yep...in good old New Jersey. Why?

:confuse: Really a remote start as standard equipment? Hmm first time I have heard this although I haven't really thought about this B4,do you know how it works? Post again and lets us know if you do, in the meantime I will try and find info.
    Thanks,
    MIKLO
    Stupid me I thought it was push start and not remote start.

Yeah I don't think any Genesis have the remote start :blush:
    :D Aha no problem I just thought it was something else I missed seeing on my car,I know this sounds lame but....... I just found out that there is a on off switch for my parking lights (its been off forever) LOL so nothing would surprise me.I know where most things are I wanna use, so I guess thats not to bad.Jeez I have only had my Genesis for 14 months so I'm still learning and I only got 9180 miles. I keep saying I'm gonna do a road trip and I do want to but being retired is very stressful and I'm really busy,,,,,, LOL..... surfing the Net and couch riding is almost like a full time job......Hmmmm in fact it is my job now :) Have fun.
    MIKLO
    Is the first question that difficult?? Has anyone installed a remote start on their 2009 Genesis?? Or, can it be done??

thanks
    Not from Hyundai as none of their vehicles have remote start.
    From what I have read on the genesis owners forum a kit does not exist yet. Smart key cars are very difficult to put remote start in aftermarket. Sooner or later a kit will surface to do it. Check with a well known car audio/electronics store (not Best Buy) in your area and have them look into it for you.

Thanks; from my sources it appears the same. Thought, maybe!!
  • newsernewser Member Posts: 4
    Does anyone know how to turn the automatic door unlocking system off. I have a V6 without the nav system ( I am aware there is a way to do it in the Display), so I am not able to turn it off. My wife freaks out every time the door unlocks and is afraid someone is gonna jump in the back seat. A further explanation is in order...When I put the car in park after pulling in to a spot, all four doors switch to unlock. I have asked the dealer but they can't figure it out either...please help!
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    On other Hyundais, this is something the dealer can program, so it's strange they can't "figure it out."

Of course, another way to work around this, since you know how the car behaves, is to have your finger on the lock button, and immediately after you shift into Park, press the lock button (if you are someplace where you are afraid someone might jump into the back seat). The doors will be unlocked for only a second--not enough time for someone to jump into the back seat.
  • hundafinitihundafiniti Member Posts: 1
    I live in the snow belt. I've seen a couple of the posts about the crappy Dunlops. Beyond that, how is the car in the snow? I'm considering purchasing either the Genesis or the Infiniti M35x. Feel free to comment on either issue. Thanks all.
    Its hard to tell, the Dunlops are that bad. My car was very tricky in the snow this year in NJ. If you live in an area with a lot of snow, I would just pretty much figure snow tires are a neccesity with the Genesis.

Check this out

• westwindlionwestwindlion Member Posts: 4
    edited April 2010
    Actually, the Dunlops are not that bad as I drove in 2 major snow storms in NJ (Feb 2010). Similar Dunlop OEMs are also installed on BMW X5 V8 Model.

Genesis 3.8 Fully loaded is really nice as I drive one since Oct 2009 (6 months). So far no technical issues at all - It is a world class car. However, there is a refresh planned for 2011 (Oct/Nov 2010 launch) to coincide with launch of Equus Luxury car.

2009 / 2010 Genesis has a few minor issues:
    1. Ride quality unsettled due to bumpy suspension, especially on rough road surface and uneven road.
    2. Car Pull to the Right or Left hand side - this is due to poor steering design.

Hyundai is going to address both issues with 2011 Refresh.

So if you have patience and can hold on until Oct / Nov 2010 - that should be great.

Genesis is far more superior that Infinity 35x, except the AWD feature.

Hope my feedback helps.

Kinjal
    I have owned an Infinity Q45 for 11 years and replaced it with a 2009 Genesis 6 cyl with tech package. They are two totally different cars. The infinity is a soft suspension Lexus style highway car with intermediate power, low torque, highly luxurious that drives itself and makes it hard for the driver to imagine he is actually driving the car. The Genesis is a high torque, refined, luxury car with a sports tuned suspension that reminds the driver every moment that he or she is driving an incredible piece of engineering that requires continuous attention and focus. The Genesis is more akin the Jaguar XK.

The Infinity requires high octane gas and because of this toward the end I had to take the throttle body apart every 5 thousand miles and clean the glob of glue and varnish off the butterfly valve. I recommend checking the cost of a standard repair on the Infinity before purchase. My high beam headlight went out and when I called the dealer(who is the only repair shop capable of fixing an Infinity) I found the repair would cost $650 unless the capacitor had to be replaced in which case it would be closer to $1000! Further the repair would be dangerous for an amateur to attempt and required proprietary tools that only an Infinity dealer has. I dissected through the maze of wires and battery supports carefully avoiding the "Danger High Voltage" circuits only to find the headlamp assembly back template had bizarre baffles that I'm sure required a $500 tool to remove. To these I applied my high tech dykes and cut the baffles off then simply unscrewing the back and replacing the xenon lamp with one from Ebay for $35. I then immediately drove up and down the street in front of the dealership turning my headlamps on and off while honking my horn. I now have one purple and one blue headlamp but I am $965 richer. So before you buy the Infinity ask the dealer how much he would charge to replace the headlamp before you write the check.
  • pogo5pogo5 Member Posts: 10
    I live in Milwaukee WI. You do need snow tires! I have them on the back only, and they make the world of difference! It is like driving a front wheel drive car. Don't take any chances, get snows.
  • genesis57genesis57 Member Posts: 21
    I live in CT and found the factory Dunlops to be downright dangerous tires. I think we should all band together and force Hyundai to replace them.

Regarding the snow tire question...I did change to Bridgestone Blizzaks all around (after lots of research of various brands...try Tirerack.com) and it made a huge difference. I was able to navigate quite well in the snow and icey roads. I highly recommend getting the snow tires, but be careful to use them on all 4 wheels...not just the two rear wheels. You need the added traction for steering. Do the research and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Safe driving.

Anyone else want to take on Hyundai regarding the crappy standard equipment tires? Anyone have any history of them causing accidents or loss of control?

Jag
  • houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    Good post. Loved it ! :)

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• jmonroejmonroe Member Posts: 8,989
    Actually, the Dunlops are not that bad as I drove in 2 major snow storms in NJ (Feb 2010).

Actually, the Dunlops are a HORRIBLE tire in the snow. I have never had a tire that was so BAD in the snow. I live in the Pittsburgh area and we had a very bad winter this year. Waaay worse than the normal for this area compared to many years past. I had heard about how BAD the Dunlops were in the snow and experienced this first hand. I was not expecting it to be good based on what I had heard but I wasn’t expecting it to be as BAD as it was, even with just a few flakes on the road. That car was so BAD in the snow I parked it and took Mrs. jmonroe’s car until I bought dedicated snow tires (Nokian Hakkapeliitta R) and rims.

1. Ride quality unsettled due to bumpy suspension, especially on rough road surface and uneven road.
    2. Car Pull to the Right or Left hand side - this is due to poor steering design.

I don’t have a problem with the ride of the Genius like others here. Maybe that’s because I have the V8 but I doubt it. I wasn’t expecting the car to ride like my family room couch, rather, a good firm soft ride and that’s what I got. Everyone (without exception) that has been in my car comments about how well it rides so I’m not the only one that doesn’t have a problem with the ride of my car.

'colegar'...I also appreciate your updates as you put on the miles. Thanks for taking the time to inform us of your experiences.

All in all, I’m very satisfied with this car.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis V8 with Ultimate Package and '18 Legacy Limited 6 cyl

'jmonroe', It looks like I spoke too fast when I reported that the “re-flashing” of the electronic module had apparently fixed the problem that I am having with the car shuddering and/or surging at highway speeds. The problem is not consistent but it is definitely still there. I still believe that it is related to the torque converter erratically going in and out of the “locked” state.

I have not had time to leave it with the dealer for them to work on it. I anticipate it being hard for them to replicate on short test drives like they typically take. For example, it did not exhibit the problem at all for the first sixty miles that I drove this morning. However, when I drove it to lunch, it was as bad as it has ever been.

I will be in Italy for eight days beginning April 23rd so I am planning to leave the car with the dealer while I am gone. I will report back when I know something.
    I was recomended the Bridgestone Turanza Serenity at $1047 including alignment.

Do you have the V6 or the V8. I have the V8 (standard 18 inch wheels, tire size P235/50R18, 97V rating) and I can’t even smell that price WITHOUT an alignment. :cry:

The price I just got on Friday from 2 different Firestone stores was identical, $1194.58. However, that price did include lifetime balancing and road hazard warranty. I’m also leaning towards getting the Firestone lifetime alignment at $180 if I go with the Serenity’s but the price I got did not include any type of alignment .

jmonroe

It looks like I spoke too fast when I reported that the “re-flashing” of the electronic module had apparently fixed the problem that I am having with the car shuddering and/or surging at highway speeds.

That ain't good.

I hope they find the fix when you leave it with the dealer while you're in Italy. If you have a good dealer they should be able to find the cause.

I went to Ohio from the Pittsburgh area to get my Genny so I will have to take mine to the local Hyundai dealer for service. Mine has only been to that dealer once. About a week after I got the car and filled it up, the next day I had a check engine light that came on. The dealer said the tank sensors were confused and they reset the computer and no more of that problem.

Try to enjoy your trip to Italy.

jmonroe