Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Genesis Sedan 2009+

Comments

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,905
    so I’m not the only one that doesn’t have a problem with the ride of my car.

J,

I think its largely subjective. I am beginning more and more to hate the way mine rides. No fault of the car, just my preference. I have had others ride in mine and tell me I am nuts that it rides great. I continue to sing the car's praises where applicable, however, in terms of ride I would never buy another one unless they do something with the unsettled/rough nature of the ride. I am sure that would compromise handling, but thats my preference. FWIW I did come out of back to back Toyota Avalons which are soft and floaty.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• jmonroejmonroe Member Posts: 8,989
    No fault of the car, just my preference. I have had others ride in mine and tell me I am nuts that it rides great.

I'm not questioning anyone for what they want out of their car. If it's yours you want it to be the way you want it to be. What you have accustomed yourself to (as long as it's legal) is all that matters about a car and other objects. That's why they make chocolate and vanilla.

As for the real meaning of that "nuts" thing, don't try to pull that sympathy stuff on us, you're here so we understand. ;)

jmonroe

'15 Genesis V8 with Ultimate Package and '18 Legacy Limited 6 cyl

As for the real meaning of that "nuts" thing, don't try to pull that sympathy stuff on us, you're here so we understand.

LOL.... :)

• bman900bman900 Member Posts: 55
    Do you have the Aisin 6-speed transmission or the ZF? I am pretty sure the Aisin is used in other vehicle makes as well, Toyota in particular. I wonder if other brands have experienced similiar issues?
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    Have you looked at the Goodyear Assurance ComforTred? $147 each at Tirerack.com.

I have them on my Volvo and like them very much. They are very smooth and quiet, and they grip better than the OE Michelin's my Volvo came with.

They don't come in your exact OE size, but they are available in 225/55-18, which is a very close match - the speedometer error will be negligible.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Assurance+Co- mforTred&sidewall=Blackwall&partnum=255HR8ACT&tab=Sizes
    Have you looked at the Goodyear Assurance ComforTred? $147 each at Tirerack.com.

I have been doing a fair amount of research about tires for the last week and I have also gone to Tirerack. That’s a great place to do some research. They list 54 exact match tires for my car, P235/50R18, 97V rating or higher.

I went to Goodyear only because I was driving by that place on my way to another tire store last Friday so I stopped in. They have Goodyear Eagle GT’s for my car at an OTD price with lifetime balancing and road hazard warranty for $795 and change. They have a 60K tread rating. Yeah, right, I’ll settle for 40 since my Dunlops will be gone at 15K. I looked at Tirerack for how this tire is rated (overall 7.5) and it has the typical “I love em” to the “worst tire I ever had” comments in the review section. Lot’s of help there. :confuse:

Michelin Sport A/S Plus and the Bridgestone Serenity’s at stores near me (in the Burgh area), are right around $1200, both have ratings in the low 8’s at Tirerack. So, I’m not sure which way I’ll go yet. I like $400 as much as the next guy but I don’t want to buy a tire that will be noisy and has poor performance characteristics although the Michelin and Bridgestone tires have about the same type of comments on Tirerack as do the Goodyear’s.

Maybe I should just throw a dart and the tire that shrugs it off is the one that I should go with. No sense in over analyzing this purchase. After all, they’re just round black things that will need replacing sooner than I’ll want to replace them anyway. :cry:

jmonroe

• toyetoye Member Posts: 351
    I went with the highly rated Bridgestone Serenity and couldn't be happier. $1047 total including alignment. Much better than the Dunlaps I replaced.
    edited April 2010
    They have Goodyear Eagle GT’s for my car at an OTD price with lifetime balancing and road hazard warranty for $795 and change

J,

My best advice would be to stay away from the Eagle GTs. I had them on my Avalon and they were noisy and even on that softly suspended car they were a little harsh. They also took three times to get balanced correctly and still had a slight vibration at certain speeds. Can't tell you anything about wear because I had to put them on during the last year of my lease and only drove around 8K on them. They were a brand new model at the time, so very little reviews. The initial reviews were decent in terms of wet and dry traction.

My best advice would be to stay away from the Eagle GTs.

Thanks. I was leaning toward something else and that certainly helps.

'toye'...I think I'm going with the Serenity's after what 'tjc78' just said. Where do you live? If I have a problem I'll need to know this. :(

jmonroe

I live in Fort Lauderdale! Two other Genesis owners have gotten the same if not better deal ($1004.00) with Firestone in Houston? IF not go to your local Firestone dealer and tell them you want Bridgestone Turanza 235/50R18 97W BW 6.5-8.5
    Ask them the price including an alignment......... make sure you don't pay anymore than $1047 or lower.

I know you will be happy with these performance tires for your Genesis. My tire guy recomended these tires to me and I've know him for over 15 years.
  • colegarcolegar Member Posts: 80
    Although I am replying to 'bman900', I have changed the title of this string so that it draws attention to my shuddering drive train issue.

I have the V6 Genesis and it comes with the Aisin transmission. Only the V8's come with the ZF.

You are correct that the Aisin is used in several other brands. I hear that it has a good reputation and you may have read some of my earlier 5,000 mile updates in which I raved about how well I liked the engine/transmission combination in the Genesis. I probably jinxed it by bragging on it.

I know one thing for sure! I can't tolerate the way it drives now much longer. All of the smooth, steady feel that we all brag about is replaced by incessant shuddering and or surging when I am letting off the accelerator or when I am barely accelerating. For those of you reading this for the first time, pull up my previous posts for the background.

I don't know if Hyundai engineers or technicians read this blog but, if they do, it looks like they would want to get involved with me on this since it is not just a routine maintenance item. I assume that I should qualify as a good test case for them because I don't know of anyone else with 52,000 miles on a Genesis. I hope they don't drag me through the routine of assuming that I don't know what I am talking about or that my local dealer should "invent" a fix on their own. This is not a "normal" repair issue! Too often, when a local dealer calls the service hotline, the first response from the corporate technician to the dealer is that the customer (me) must be imagining the problem. I am not referring just to Hyundai but to the industry in general. Maybe Hyundai will be more proactive. If they are, I will be just as proactive in making sure that you guys know how responsive they were. If not, you will know that too!
    I live in Fort Lauderdale!

OK, I know where that is. My brother retired to Del Ray Beach a few years ago and just last summer after visiting back here in the Burgh his wife was given a test drive of my Genny by Son # 1 and she liked it well enough that when their lease was up on their Town Car they leased a V6 with all the options and she says she really likes it. Especially how the lights go through their thing when you start it up in the garage. I don’t know the name of the dealer they finally bought from but they didn’t buy from the first snake they ran into, which isn’t surprising given what I’ve heard about dealers in general in southern Florida.

IF not go to your local Firestone dealer and tell them you want Bridgestone Turanza 235/50R18 97W BW 6.5-8.5
    Ask them the price including an alignment......... make sure you don't pay anymore than $1047 or lower.

I’d like to get the deal you got on your Serenity’s but when I went to two different Firestone dealers on Friday they both gave me the identical price, $1194.58. That was not with an alignment but it did include lifetime balancing and road hazard warranty, my choice, about $150 total so maybe the price I got is pretty much the same as you got, unless you also got the balancing/hazard for ever thingie. That price also included the cost for service to the Tire Pressure Monitoring System, about $15 total which nobody else (3 or 4 other places) noted on their quotes and I mentioned this to them and they said it’s required. So, if I go with them they will have to better explain that service or it will be a deal breaker. I plan to call the dealer and ask about this type of service (crush washer on the valve stem and the labor to install it).

My favorite thing…buying tires :sick:

jmonroe

edited April 2010
    Tell them that I got them at Hamill Firestone in Fort Lauderdale FL and ask them why is there a $150 difference...Its worth a shot..they can negociate!!

With lifetime rotation also.....
    I assume that I should qualify as a good test case for them because I don't know of anyone else with 52,000 miles on a Genesis. I hope they don't drag me through the routine of assuming that I don't know what I am talking about or that my local dealer should "invent" a fix on their own.

While I agree with you that not too many Genesis owners have the miles on their car that you have, I’m sure, or at least hope, that before Hyundai put the Genesis into production they racked up a hell of a lot more miles than you have.

Your dealer should be working with you to resolve the problem. If not, I think you have to go directly to Hyundai. This will let you and everyone else here know how Hyundai reacts to a customer’s complaint about their flagship car. If they truly feel that they can play in the big leagues with high end cars, this is the time for them to step up to the plate.

Good luck and keep us informed about how this goes.

jmonroe

3.8 (V6) WITH TECH PACK

The problem that I have been reporting in which my Genesis would exhibit an intermittent "shuddering" and/or hesitation during deceleration or slight acceleration has apparently been resolved. It turned out to have nothing to do with the torque converter as had been my suspicion and had become high on the mechanic's list of possible causes.

Two days ago, the problem got bad enough that I could not put off getting it resolved. My dealer's technicians had discussed it with Hyundai's corporate hot line and had been directed to hook up an instrument before going on another test drive. With the service manager riding shotgun and the instrument connected, I drove the car. Luckily, the check-engine and ESC warning lights came on and the car actually went into the "limp mode" which causes it to barely run and to be incapable of any acceleration. It also registered a code in the instrument that he had connected. To get it out of the limp mode, we had to pull over and shut the ignition off and restart it. I left the car with them so that they could work with the Hyundai hot line technician on a resolution.

The problem turned out to be a bad THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR (TPS). Like most new cars, the accelerator is not controlling cables to the fuel injectors but rather is electronically communicating the movement of the accelerator to the engine controls that determine the appropriate fuel/air mixtures and I suppose spark timing. They replaced the TPS and re-flashed the electronic control module. So far, so good! I drove seventy miles this morning with zero symptoms of the shuddering problem.

Three comments: First, I want to reemphasize that the transmission and/or torque converter apparently had nothing to do with my problem. Secondly, I am pleased with my dealer's professionalism and their technician's expertise. He has been sent to every Hyundai training course and probably knows as much as anyone in the field about this high-tech vehicle. That is not to imply that he or anyone else could possibly have enough experience or knowledge to diagnose every possible problem. I am not happy that I had this issue but I am satisfied that it was dealt with properly. My last comment is that I am a serious car buff and I am quick to perceive any minute change in driving characteristics ... but I am certainly not a technician. Therefore, you should not put too much trust in my ability to properly describe the exact problem or the solution, i.e., my above layman's terminology of the TPS that was replaced or how it functions.
    The problem that I have been reporting in which my Genesis would exhibit an intermittent "shuddering" and/or hesitation during deceleration or slight acceleration has apparently been resolved.

That’s good news. If I ever have a problem I hope my dealer is as savvy as yours but I’m not so sure about that.

The problem turned out to be a bad THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR (TPS). Like most new cars, the accelerator is not controlling cables to the fuel injectors but rather is electronically communicating the movement of the accelerator to the engine controls that determine the appropriate fuel/air mixtures and I suppose spark timing.

When you first mentioned your problem, the first thing that I thought about was the TPS but since they went on a test drive with you earlier and didn’t mention that I figured it was more involved than that and apparently they did too.

You’re right about the car not having any cables like the days of old. It’s now a “drive by wire system” that controls these cars. Good bye “shade tree mechanics”. You need a computer analyzer to work on these new things today. :sick:

Thanks for keeping us updated.

jmonroe

You’re right about the car not having any cables like the days of old. It’s now a “drive by wire system” that controls these cars. Good bye “shade tree mechanics”. You need a computer analyzer to work on these new things today.

You are so right... however, the TPS has been in computerized cars for a while now, even before full drive by wire. I had one go in my 93 Taurus, caused all kinds of wierd behavior.

If you buy 4 Bridgestone Serenity Touranza tires you will get up to a $100 American Gift Card. Good thru until May 1st.
  • miklomiklo Member Posts: 67
    I took my Genesis in for my free oil change at 9750 miles,the tech called me up and said he wanted to keep the car longer to "update the computer" in reference to the air bags. I was a little surprised when I got home and saw the work order and it said air bag recall. I guess really it doesnt matter as long as whatever was wrong got fixed and didnt cost me anything.I guess my question is has anyone else had this done to their car and do you have any more info as to what really was the problem. Even though I was not aware of any problem I am concerned as to the way I was informed or maybe even misled as to the real issue.
    MIKLO
    Nothing so far on my Genesis and I've had it in 4 months ago
  • sheltonzzsheltonzz Member Posts: 15
    I did receive a call about this recall and made an appointment at 7:30 AM and was assured that my car would be done right away so no need to arrange for ride home. When I got to the dealership, I was told that no one even came to work before 8 AM and it would be at least an hour and a half. I previously drove both a Lexus 400 and a Inifiniti q45 so I was used to better service (I Know I paid for it in the price of the car) but discouraging just the same. No white coat, no doughnuts, no anything.
  • sooththetruthsooththetruth Member Posts: 40
    I just filled out my JP Power forms on my new Genesis. I noted the ride was so rough on the Dunlops ( have the 18 inch wheels on my V6 sedan) that I would not likely buy the car again if uncorrectable. I am reading the tire conversation with interest, because fixing the problem with better tires is clearly the easiest solution. 15K miles from the Dunlops is a startlingly bad number.

I was considering buying 17 inch wheels and tires to improve the ride, giving up the looks for the comfort.

Importantly, Car and Driver has a recent report on the differences in driving a VW GTI with different sized wheels, and it is really enlightening to see how much we give up in power, comfort, noise, and FUEL ECONOMY, just to gain slight improvements in cornering, and a cooler look.

As for my car, I have had to take it in for repair of the automatic steering wheel memory. The retractable, tilting wheel had lost the ability to tilt, and I had to squeeze into the car for a week while the part came in from out of town. By the way, the reading lights in the front came in faulty from new, flickering for 15-60 seconds when turned on, and the offending electronics were replaced at that time.

If I could fix the ride, this car would be about perfect, but before I go, I will add that I spent $93 to replace the tweeters in my mid level Lexicon stereo. The Rockford-Fosgate tweeters have improved the stereo sound from a 6 to a 9.5. $93...I am shocked at the return for such a small investment.
    I was considering buying 17 inch wheels and tires to improve the ride, giving up the looks for the comfort

I wouldn't bother. I have the 17" wheels (I actually preferred the look) and the car still rides hard. Others (on other forums) have changed the Dunlops and reported only minimal improvement. The car is designed for a firm ride, there isn't much to change it unless you start replacing suspension components of which there is zero aftermarket at this time.

I wouldn't bother. I have the 17" wheels (I actually preferred the look) and the car still rides hard. Others (on other forums) have changed the Dunlops and reported only minimal improvement.

Appreciate the time you just saved me. I have been looking for after market suspension, and can't find any. I can hope for availability, soon, but I am incredulous that I didn't note this ride on the TOO SHORT test drive. I understand why some people insist on a solid test drive, rather than a turn around the block or a couple of miles on highway. By 15 minutes after driving the car off the lot I was starting to wonder. However I blame myself, and not the dealership. They weren't pushing a short test drive.

I just noted the way the car felt off the line, the way it accelerated, the very excellent braking, and I was sold, literally.
    edited April 2010
    Don't feel bad, I drove it three times and still bought it knowing the way it rode. I came out of back to back Avalons and thought I wanted something with a sportier ride. I was wrong. I can't wait until my lease is done and I can get something else. The car is excellent in every way, except I prefer a softer ride. I do enjoy looking at it though!

• william77william77 Member Posts: 5
    During our test drive, the Genesis ride seemed fine. In retrospect it was over fairly nice roads & streets. However, after we bought our '99 Genesis w/17" wheels, & took several 500+ trips over some of our lousy CA roads (including I-5 & US-101), we were disappointed w/the relatively hard ride. My great, family-owned tire store told me that the problem was the large dia. wheels which result in narrow sidewall tires, & that new tires wouldn't perceptively change the ride. W/even less air cushioning, the 18" wheels have to be a harder ride than our 17", so I sympathize w/you. The 16" wheels were 1 of the reasons our '98 BMW 740i was so great for trips.

Having spent much of my life in businesses designing & working w/hydraulics & pneumatics, my solution, which helps a lot, was to buy a Roho LTV seat cushion which is inflatable to whatever pressure you desire. Although the original ride was OK for my wife, she now also enjoys a 2nd LTV we bought for her.

The only problem we've had was about 9 mo. ago when the BT handsfree went south. The dealer brought a new BT assembly in from S. CA, replaced the malfunctioning assembly in the overhead, & it's worked great ever since.

Overall, we really like the car, & especially getting 30 mpg on trips driving 65-75 MPH. When it comes time to get another car, I'm willing to trade a bit of the cornering ability for a somewhat softer riding Genesis for us to consider. I understand the 2010 Genesis sedan ride is somewhat better, but barely. When this car was brought out in Korea, it had airbag suspension which had a much cushier ride, & since we're both 79, we'd like to see that option here.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    However, after we bought our '99 Genesis w/17" wheels, & took several 500+ trips over some of our lousy CA roads (including I-5 & US-101), we were disappointed w/the relatively hard ride.

Well, shoot, the thing is 11 years old! ;)
    If you buy 4 Bridgestone Serenity Touranza tires you will get up to a $100 American Gift Card. Good thru until May 1st.

Just thought you'd like to know, I bought them last Tuesday and I will be filling out the rebate form pretty soon.

For the rest of you guys, the ride seems to be the same as the OE Dunlops as far as I can tell. I didn't have a problem with the ride of the OE's as some have commented but I only got 15K out of those POS. So that was my beef with the Dunlops. It's hard to believe anything can't do better than that.

jmonroe

Of course the ride on the Touranza was much better after only 22k on the Dunlaps but I must say they seem more quiet and better handling than when I purchase the Genesis just over a year ago.
  • genesis57genesis57 Member Posts: 21
    Like so many others, my OE Dunlops (worst tire I've ever owned) are getting very thin on tread after only 16,500. I've done some research on Tirerack.Com and am looking for the best high performance all season tires (I live in CT and hope to avoid winter/summer tire swap outs). Has anyone tried the Continental Extreme Contact DWS 18" tires? They are highly rated in all conditions...but looking for some real experience on the Genesis..

Also...FYI, due to recently having some nitwit vandals stealing my passenger side center caps, I purchased the Genesis center caps off of Ebay and put them on all 4. They look good. I had already changed out the trunk emblem...so now the exterior is totally badged with Genesis.

Trying to decide whether I'll keep the car when lease if up this September. I wish it had AWD, but I do love a lot about the car. Unfortunately, buying out the lease will mean the payment goes up. Can't see doing that...

Safe and fun driving to all.
    Has anyone tried the Continental Extreme Contact DWS 18" tires?

As you know I went with the Bridgestones. However, FWIW, one of the tire stores I went to locally (Pittsburgh area) the guy at this store liked Continentals and said it's the only tires he puts on his cars but he didn't have a Genesis and I went with the recommendation of 'toye' since he has a Genesis and liked them plus I was leaning this way myself.

Those Continentals would have saved me a lot of bucks but like I said I went with the Bridgestones. We're always looking for alternatives on these Edmunds forums so I say go with the Continentals and let us know how you like them. You sound like the pioneering type. ;)

jmonroe

• twinbtwinb Member Posts: 140
    When I was test driving the '09 Gen just as the '10 came out it had the Dunlop run-flats. After having gone thru 2 sets of those and 1 of the Bridgestone RF's, courtesy of my not-so-friendly Toyota dealer, I vowed never again to use them. Never got more than 16K miles out of either of the 3 sets. Anyway, the '09 had them & the sales guy tried playing hard ball with me, first saying they weren't run flats & then saying he wouldn't replace them with anything else. I decided to play ball with him and took my bat and glove and walked out without a word. Dunlops were a deal breaker for me.
    Dunlops were a deal breaker for me.

I had 2 Dunlops years ago and they were the worst wearing tires I had ever had and that includes the Dunlops I had on the Genesis. I know that's hard to believe. So, I pretty much knew I was in for a bad tire but was hoping they had gotten better over the years. I was wrong. They are almost as bad as ever as far as wear goes.

Even though I dislike Dunlops I liked the car more than my dislike of the tires it had.

I'm hoping I corrected that situation albeit at a price I would have rather spent elsewhere.

jmonroe

"Dunlops were a deal breaker for me."

Really?!?!

You're shopping for a $40,000 car! If you don't like the OE tires, $700 will buy you a set of premium Ultra High Performance All-Season tires from Michelin or Pirelli.
  • twinbtwinb Member Posts: 140
    Really. You like 'em, you buy 'em. I was aware of the options, all of them. I chose another car. I sincerely hope my decision isn't too shocking for you to contain yourself.
    I chose another car.

So, you lost out on your first choice or were you just "kicking tires"? Literally. :confuse:

jmonroe

Twinb,

I remember speaking with you on the Avalon boards, what did you end up buying?

"I chose another car. I sincerely hope my decision isn't too shocking for you to contain yourself.

Don't worry, some therapy and antidepressants and I'll be OK. ;)

I'm just glad I'm not your real estate agent.

"Wow, I really love this house, but that chandelier in the dining room is a deal-breaker..."
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Hey, sometimes when you're shopping for a big-ticket item, and you like a couple of the offerings pretty equally well, it's the little things that swing the balance in favor of one over the other. There are several vehicles that I'm considering for my next purchase, and I'll be buying used. I would probably be fairly equally pleased with any of them, but guess what? If I find one that already has heated seats, and one that I'd have to have heated seats put in, the heated seats will swing it.

If you're not THAT set on a particular vehicle, then there's no real impetus to buy one that you'd have to change tires on right away.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• sergio19sergio19 Member Posts: 90
    "Dunlops were a deal breaker for me."

So you didn't buy a great car because of the tires?
    Wow that's absolutely absurd.

There's medication and therapy that can help you...
    and I would assert that it's absurd to assume that you should decide what is and isn't important to another buyer. It'd be different if his heart was set on a Genesis, but I'm guessing it wasn't. I know that I wouldn't want to spend another $700 on a vehicle when I could get a vehicle that I liked just as well without spending $700 more.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    Basing your car buying decision on such items as heated seats or brand of tires just does not compute.....at least for me.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

Well certainly, if that were the major deciding factor, I'd agree with you. But if I'm equally attracted to two vehicles (as I was during my last purchase), one little item might make the decision for me. If I'm looking at the Genesis and another car that I like just as much, and I don't have to replace the tires on the other car - makes the decision easy.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

• houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    That makes sense when you put it that way. :)

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

I know that I wouldn't want to spend another $700 on a vehicle when I could get a vehicle that I liked just as well without spending $700 more.

I wouldn't either. But $700 is a bargain considering I paid almost twice that but that was an OTD price including taxes, lifetime balancing, lifetime alignment etc. etc. OK, I lied a little bit. The "real price" will be just under $1300 not $1400. I'm going to get a $100 AE gift card if I don't forget to send in the rebate form.

Buying tires...my favorite thing to do that doesn't increase my lot in life. :mad:

jmonroe

edited April 2010
    Wow, didn't mean to start a firestorm. Just commenting on my perspective...

I suppose if there were two cars that I liked equally, then yes, Dunlops vs. Bridgestones could swing the balance. However, I have never shopped for cars and found two that I like equally. Maybe I'm wrong, but in my opinion, enthusiasts like us fully research and educate ourselves on all our options, and then we visit several dealers to kick the tires and get test drives. Once all that is done, there is always one car that comes out on top - and that's the one I will try to buy.

Tires? Floor mats? Fog lights? Cheap, replaceable stuff like that would never cause me to cross a car off my list.
  • jsmit86jsmit86 Member Posts: 116
    I was seriously considering a Genesis. I ended up buying a 2011 Sonata Limited. The OEM tires was one of my deciding factors. I live in the Chicago area, and most users did not have good things to say about the Dunlops in the snow. If the car came with the Conti DWS, I may have pulled the trigger on the Genesis.

(There were other reasons that I went with the Sonata. Price, Fuel Economy, and a few others.)

Having said that the Genesis is a sweet ride.
    V6 with all options

The odometer will roll past 55,000 miles next week. Here is my 5,000 mile interval update.

NEW THINGS TO REPORT:

* Twice in the past ten days, the driver’s door has refused to unlock when I push the keyless unlock button on the door handle. All other doors unlock normally. I then have to enter from the passenger side and reach over and open the driver’s door. I have not had a chance to let the dealer look at it.

* One fog light is out. It may be just a bulb (I have not checked it out).

* Interior dome lights sometimes just flicker for a few minutes when a door is opened. Other times, they come on at the normal brightness.

UPDATE ON PREVIOUSLY POSTED ISSUES:

* No more problems with the shuddering, inconsistent acceleration and deceleration since they replaced the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS).

* The Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires are wearing well (currently at 27,000 miles). I am shooting for at least 35,000 miles but I won’t keep them if they get below 20% of the original tread. They make the Genesis handle much more “sporty” and they are incredibly stable. The downside … they are somewhat noisier than the original equipment Dunlops on some road surfaces.

That’s about it! It’s not a cushy riding car over bumps but it is as good as anything out there on the open road and it is downright quick around town. To repeat my previous comments … it is the best $40K luxury car out there (Yes, I said luxury)! I do worry about little things like the keyless door unlocking problem discussed above as I get closer to the end of the bumper-to-bumper warranty.

I will see you at 60,000 miles.
    I had the problem with the flickering overhead lights from new, 2010 V6. They ordered some new relay for the problem, and I had to wait a couple of days for the parts. My new car also had problems with the tilt mechanism of the steering wheel: repaired at same time. Both repaired before 3500 miles. I saw TBS on both. I have not noted anything on the keyless entry. I use mine all the time, and I wonder if this is a wear problem, given that that is the only door you are likely to use it on much.

I didn't really think the V8 cornered as nicely as the V6, and I think the suspension was rougher in the 8. But I really wanted the engine power.
  • miklomiklo Member Posts: 67
    colegar Once again thanks for your fact filled report.I really like your attitude about the door lock cuz thats kinda the way I usually think or react to cars. My Dad always used to tell me if you got a car ur gonna have car problems same with a wife... lol the key is IMO how bad is the problem. Funny cuz I haven't had problem with door lock but it is something I thought about B4,I rarely use the Fob just the button on door. Anyway overall from all your updates it looks like to me your Genesis is doing fine and overall has done well. BTW I'm still trying to catch you I just pasted 11,000 mile,in fact I went to an out of town wedding last weekend and enjoyed the car very much on the open road and got great gas mileage. colegar once again thank you for your ongoing very good updates they are really helpful 2me and I'm sure many others.
    MIKLO