Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Genesis Sedan 2009+

Comments

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,918
    I don't know what yours was doing, however, mine had a mind of its own. When starting the car it would sometimes lower all the way down or over the course of a few days would gradually get lower everytime I started the car. When using the memory presets it would almost always drop all the way down.

On another forum there must have been ten or twenty different owners all with the same problem (some people the wheel just quit all together). The part to fix it was on "national backorder" according to my dealer.

Its getting fixed as we speak along with the other issues I mentioned above. I have a brand new (20 miles) V8 loaner right now. Same jittery, nervous ride as mine, but the extra power is nice.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• miklomiklo Member Posts: 67
    colegar,
    WOW 65,000 miles,even though you are having a few problems they dont appear to be any kind of major problems,more like annoyances. OFC thats easy 4me to say cuz its not happening 2me. lol But overall compared to problems I hear other new car owners talk about I still think our Genesis cars are doing great. Im pushing 13,000 on my 09 and I have still been problem free. They did fix something about 6 months ago when I got my free oil change and I cant even remember what it was now.I am always eager to hear your updates cuz you really pay attention to detail and give us very good info.I haven't posted for awhile cuz I got nothing to report and was out of the country for a few months. Again colegar thanks for all your input.
    MIKLO
  • mssurreymssurrey Member Posts: 59
    I went car shopping the other day and liked the look of the Genesis. But being in the snow-belt the lack of AWD was a deal breaker.

When every other major luxury brand sells AWD versions, what's up with Hyundai ??? Sems a rather dumb startegy!

If they bothered to produce an AWD version, 'm sure there would be many more like myself who would jump on this car...
  • toyetoye Member Posts: 351
    Don't worry 2012 Genesis out in just over a year will be eqquiped with AWD announced earlier this week. Hyundai does listen to consumers
  • colegarcolegar Member Posts: 80
    Your description of the steering wheel memory problem is very much like mine except it sounds like yours may be a little worse. I never had the memory problem until the toggle switch suddenly stopped working. The memory problem started as soon as they installed the replacement. My dealer is not even aware of it because I keep forgetting to mention it.
    Mine is all good now. There is definately a TSB on it. I just mentioned my problem and they ordered the part.

As of right now the dealer has a new sunvisor on order for me and they fixed my power seat (took it apart and relubricated it). Hopefully that will be the end for a while.

• dean3927dean3927 Member Posts: 80
    The editors at Motor Trend and Car and Driver actually prefer a RWD + snow tires for winter driving.

I think they cite advances in snow tire technology, the negative affects on vehicle dynamics (weight, difficulty in controlling the rear with the throttle) inherent in an AWD system and of course the hit on gas mileage.

As a limited example, the '10 Ford Taurus AWD carries a rather portly curb weight of 4244 lbs., where as the regular Taurus Limited weighs in at 4015-4042 lbs. (Genesis 3.8, 3868 lbs.).

Hyundai is uniquely positioned to utilize ultra high-strength steel more affordably as a parent co. of HYSCO. With increased use of such ultra high-strength steel in future Hyundais (the '11 Sonata already boasts "hot stamped ultra-high-strength steel body structure"), the added weight of an AWD system may be offset, which would be an exciting win-win for drivers.
    dean3927 good point,I for one am not a fan of AWD even though I think Im in the minority. I want my real wheels for power and my front wheels for steering....... thats it nothing else afterall it aint a battleship its a car.
    MIKLO
  • mssurreymssurrey Member Posts: 59
    I would agree - in most circumstances.

However, when there's a foot of snow on the ground and you can't even get up a slightly inclined driveway (as mine is) with a RWD car, you really wish you had AWD.

My previous RWD cars with all seasons couldn't make a 2% incline. And since they're usually lease cars, I don't want to splash out for an extra set of wheels and snow tires that are no good to me after 2-3 years.
    Thats why I live in Arizona havent seen snow in Tucson for about 20 years and then it only lasted for about an hour. LOL
    MIKLO
  • genesis57genesis57 Member Posts: 21
    I live in CT and drive an 09 3.8 with all options. My home is on top of a steep hill. While the Genesis performed dismally with the original Dunlop tires (worst tires I ever drive)...when I put some Blizzaks on the car, it performed very well in the snow. I don't think it was a worry free and capable as my prior Subaru with AWD, but it did fine and I had no issues driving in fairly heavy snow and slushy days.
    I am contemplating putting some great all seasons on so I don't have to swap out each season. I've selected the Continental Exteme Contact DWS. Anyone tried them?
    genesis57 ... I have had my my second set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus (the A/S stands for all-season) on my '09 3.8 Genesis for about 6,000 miles. I know it sounds crazy to be on my third set (counting the originals) but I now have almost 67,000 miles on the car and I am notorious for not letting a set of tires wear all the way down. Those of you who have followed my routine updates at 5,000 mile intervals know that I am very impressed with the improvement in handling that this particular Michelin has made. I live in up-state South Carolina and have not had enough snow to be able to give you an opinion as to how these tires work in snow. I know that you can't go by looks, but they sure have an aggressive tread pattern. You should take a look at them if you have not made a final decision. Incidentally, I have previously lived in norther states where I had my share of driving on snow and ice.

dean3927 and miklo ... Who am I to challenge the guys at Motor Trend or Car & Driver, but I think that they must be smoking something if they think a rear wheel drive is better in the slick stuff that a good all-wheel drive system. The next time they see several cars that are stranded on icy roads, they should use that opportunity to see how many of the ones that are stranded have all-wheel drive. My bet is on most of them having rear-wheel drive. I have had all three (FWD, RWD and AWD) and I have previously lived in northern states. I don't think it is even a close call. I plead guilty to loving the way an Audi Q5 Quattro or an Acura MDX SH-AWD drives, even on dry roads. The new all-wheel drive systems that have" torque vectoring" that put more torque to the outside rear wheel during cornering really handle great. Okay, I realize that I have gotten off-subject here!
    edited August 2010
    Colegar:

Just to clarify, the magazine editors' position is not that a RWD + snow tires is in any way superior to an AWD (w/ or w/o a locking center diff.) in poor driving conditions. It is simply that they would prefer the more dynamic and engaging driving experience afforded by the former set up, while still having enough traction to get around even in the heart of winter in the Northeast.
    Thanks! That makes more sense.
    I will tell you all one thing. The Genesis with the stock Dunlops is extremely bad in the snow. This winter I got caught in a bad storm and the experience driving this car home was not fun. I got stuck on 1" to 2" on snow on a slight incline. To make things worse you cannot "rock" this car. The shifter will not go into reverse (from neutral) without putting your foot on the brake. Combine this with ESC/traction control that cannot be fully shut off and believe me its an experience. I did make it home though.... thanks to the stranger who gave me a push! Now, OTOH in other forums people with different or winter tires claim no problems. This makes sense as the Gen has good weight distribution. I have had other RWD cars and never had any problems in the snow. My car is leased and I know the tires won't make 36K so I am thinking about switching them out before the winter as I don't want a repeat of this winter.

• pogo5pogo5 Member Posts: 10
    I had the same problem last year, until a bought a set of Bridgstone Bliz.for the rear..............after that it was like front wheel drive in the snow.....
  • bman900bman900 Member Posts: 55
    Just bought a new 2010 4.6 Tech. I had read on other posts that the horsepower was bumped to 385 HP on 2010 midyear models. My particular vehicle shows a Feb 11, 2010 manufacture date. I am wondering if that is late enough to be considered in the later half of the 2010 production run.
    bman900:

What does it say on the window sticker? It should list the specs. for the engine, whether 375 or 385 hp's.
  • jmonroejmonroe Member Posts: 8,989
    What does it say on the window sticker? It should list the specs. for the engine, whether 375 or 385 hp's.

I have an '09 V8. It's 375 HP only with high octane gas, 368 HP (I think) with regular. When the car was new (April '09) I switched back and forth at least 6 times and I couldn't tell the difference one iota. So, I don't think 10 more HP would be noticed by me.

Now for the interesting part of this HP thingy; when the weather turned cold in November of '09 (Pittsburgh area) I could tell the difference then. Back to the high octane again but still no difference. Now I just run with regular. So, if what you want is more power, I’d move to a cold area because that “cold ram air intake effect” I did notice, for sure. It’s a shame the winter had to end. ;)

As for driving in the snow with the OEM Dunlop’s, as I said earlier on this board, that car is HORRIBLE. I bought dedicated rims and had Nokian Hakkapeliitta R’s put on them and there was a world of difference.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis V8 with Ultimate Package and '18 Legacy Limited 6 cyl

• houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    edited September 2010
    I have those same Dunlops on my 06 LS 430. Sport 5000's I think. They are actually pretty good tires except for snow and ice.

I bought the car in Nov. 08 as a CPO. Right after the first bad weather that year I was driving up a slight incline on a country lane covered with thin ice. I made it almost to the top before my traction control kicked in and I came to a dead stop...and then started rolling, sliding back down the hill. If I tried to brake the car would start fish tailing, so I mostly just rolled. The road was very narrow with rather deep ditches on each side and I was also on a curve. We must have been going around 20 mph.

I can only thank heavens that no one was behind me because I must have rolled about 200 yards downhill before getting the thing stopped. You can turn the TC off on this car but I did not know it at the time so mostly it was my fault but those tires sure did not help.

The whole experience was made much worse because my wife was with me and she screamed bloody murder all the way down the hill. I explained to her that only my backward driving skills saved us from disaster, but she stubbornly refers to it as dumb luck when recounting the tale endlessly to anyone who will listen.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• cincymikecincymike Member Posts: 11
    If Dunlop tires are such a problem, why does Hyundai, continue to use them? Has there been any attempt to have the tires re-called, or replaced? What are the local dealers response to this?
    Please reply, because when I purchased my Genesis, I asked about the tires, not aware of the brand, I was told, they were made by goodyear :>( :>(; and had a good record! If this is an ongoing problem, I am going to raise hell w/my local dealer

thanks
  • toyetoye Member Posts: 351
    They are great performance tires but these type of tires are not always long lasting.
    Mine lasted 23k I probably could have driven them 5-7k more but I was begining to feel the wear while I was driving. I chosed Bridgestone Turanza Serenity for my second set and have been very very happy.

I also heard from many on the Hyundai forum that they were able to get well over 30k from the Dunlaps
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    There is nothing wrong with the tires. If you drive in snow, buy snow tires.
    There is nothing wrong with the tires. If you drive in snow, buy snow tires.

I agree they are actually pretty grippy in dry and wet conditions. However, they are barely passable for an all season tire. Honestly, they should be a summer only tire IMO. They are wearing fairly quickly, obviously a softer compound to better grip the road.

I have to disagree. There is definitely something wrong with tires where most owners are barely getting 20K miles on them, and if they are selling the cars in regions where 6 months of the year, we deal with cold, snowy. icy roads....they are putting people at risk. The tires are horrible with any ice, snow or slush on the road. They may be ok on dry surfaces (although most comments have said that people saw a marked improvement in ride stability and comfort when switching to other, better tires). Hyundai should have stopped putting the Dunlops on their cars, and particularly when the cars are sold in the colder regions. If you can get your dealer to change them out, do it....there are several good choices, and you can use Tirerack.com to evaluate them and choose a safer tire. With a good ultra high performance all season tire, you won't have to go through the extra cost and hassle of changing them out each season (which is also not good on these rims).
    Good luck and safe driving.
    Performance tires wear quickly, that is the nature of their softer compound. In harsh winter climates you would be very unwise to drive a RWD without snow tires. I personally do not put any blame on Hyundai for choosing these tires. They obviously felt they showcase the car's abilities... or they just got a nice kickback from Dunlop (Goodyear) ;)

BTW its not only Hyundai putting tires that wear quickly, my 06 Avalon had Bridgestone Turanza EL400s and I only got 27K out of them.

Last night, driving to an appointment on the highway (around 70-75) the car lost all electric, stalled, and I pulled over to the side of the road. It started right back up. I continued to drive and about 10 miles down the road, car dies electrically for about 2 seconds (a/c, radio, gauges, etc all dead...) however, this time doesn't stall and continues running.

I get to destination, shut off the car and notice my steering wheel doesn't retract. I thought that was wierd, then when I went to trunk to get something and it wouldn't open (had to use key). The car was dead, nothing worked not even the door locks.

I couldn't deal with it at this point, so I left it and went in for my appointment. A little over an hour later car starts up and runs fine.

Fast forward to getting home, and car does the same thing and is dead in my driveway after shutting it off. I immediately assume battery issues, break out the voltmeter and the battery is showing 13 volts.

This morning go out to car, all is fine except my sunshade was up (was down last night) and the entire car is reset (trip meters, clock, radio lost all presets, etc)

It goes in to the shop on Monday along with the getting the new sunvisor they ordered for me put on (light wasn't working).

The car is a 09 V6 non-tech. Anyone have similar experience?

• cincymikecincymike Member Posts: 11
    Need some advise here! Planning on replacing the Dunlop's. Looking @ Michlen;
    Yokohama; Bridgestone. Leaning towards the Bridgestone Serenity. Winter is coming to this part of the country, and based on previous comments, it appears that Dunlop are unreliable on the white stuff.
    thanks!
  • stephen987stephen987 Member Posts: 1,994
    I'm a Yokohama fan, but I rarely encounter snow. . .
  • alonzo2alonzo2 Member Posts: 46
    I just wrote a long note to you that went up in blue zone smoke but I basically had a similar experience. Let me know if you find out what it is. I have the exact same car.
    Thanks. I'll report back. I hate intermittent problems as they are hard to track down.

You definitely don't want to go into the winter season with the Dunlops if you get snow and ice in your area. Last winter I put a set of Bridgestone Blizzaks on the car and it handled very well in the snow. If you don't want to do the seasonal change over....I suggest going to a high performance all season tire. You can look at all the tire ratings at Tirerack.com, and you'll find that the Continental Exteme Contact DWS is the top rated tire in most categories. The DWS stands for Dry/Wet/Snow. I'm putting a set on later this month. If you don't like going the Tirerack route (having tires shipped to a shop for installation) you can use their price to negotiate with a local tire dealer. Good luck...but get those Dunlops off before it snows!
    With a good ultra high performance all season tire, you won't have to go through the extra cost and hassle of changing them out each season (which is also not good on these rims).

I don’t think an “ultra high performance all season tire” will be good in the snow, especially on a RWD car. When you buy that type of a tire you’re getting much more in the way of performance features than snow traction. I’m convinced that with a RWD car a real snow tire is needed.

In addition to the chance of doing damage to rims when changing tires each season, you also run the risk of tearing the tire’s bead with all the stress being put on it each time the tire is broken down putting it on and off the rims. That’s why I decided to bite the bullet and buy dedicated rims for dedicated snow tires. Another benefit of this is that I can do the change over myself at my convenience. Going this route I don’t have to make an appointment to have the work done and the time involved doing it. I just don’t like baby sitting my car when I can avoid it.

Whichever way a Genny owner goes, if the car is going to be driven in the snow, the OE Dunlops have to come off.

‘houdini1…It sounds like you had a white knuckle ride going down that hill in reverse. It also sounds like your wife is related to mine. :sick: Keep up the good work. Eventually we’ll convince those girls that us car guys know what we’re doing. :)

jmonroe

I know there has been alot of talk about the dunlop tires and most talk has been about replacing the tires due to traction issues in snow. I only have 13,000 miles on my 09 Genesis but the other day I drove on an almost flat tire.... I know very lame but I am very close to a gas station and I thought I could make it without jacking up the tire to much....... I know lame move,but afterall it was 05:15 and I really need my coffee. OK I got the tire fixed and only seems like minimal damage but I was pretty surprised at the amount of wear with such low miles. Anyway I wanna start looking for a new set of tires but the difference is I live in Tucson Arizona, I dont need snow tires I need a decent tire that can handle the conditions here,so any suggestions anyone has would be appreciated very much.......... OK one more time I know real LAME move driving on an almost flat tire...... LOL. Thanks guys.

MIKLO
    edited September 2010
    Just spoke to the dealer about the issue with loosing power. Naturally, the car didn't exhibit any problem at the dealer today, however, the service writer did call Hyundai corporate up and this has been a problem nationally. The fix is to clean all grounds from the battery, alternator, starter etc. Apparently, there was a small drain on the battery before they cleaned all the terminals and now there isn't. Hopefully this cures it!

• doug71doug71 Member Posts: 20
    I have 29,000 miles on my 09 Genesis and not one problem as of yet with this comfortable auto. The only problem was with the Dunlop tires. I replace them at 12,020 miles, they were actually worn out. I put a set of Cooper Eldorado Tempra Touring tires. Getting good service with these even in the winter in Pennsylvania. I'm going to replace these sometime next year. I emailed ten different tire manufactures to see what tire that they would recommend, with a warranty. So far I have heard from 3 manufactures. It going to interesting once they all reply, just to see their recommendations. But, back to the Genesis - what perfect car. :shades:
  • doug71doug71 Member Posts: 20
    I have 29,000 miles on my 09 Genesis and not one problem as of yet with this comfortable auto. The only problem was with the Dunlop tires. I replace them at 12,020 miles, they were actually worn out. I put on a set of Cooper Eldorado Tempra Touring tires. Getting good service with these even in the winter in Pennsylvania. I'm going to replace these sometime next year. I emailed ten different tire manufactures to see what tire that they would recommend, with a warranty. So far I have heard from 3 manufactures. It going to interesting once they all reply, just to see their recommendations. But, back to the Genesis - what perfect car. :shades:
  • rlr5rlr5 Member Posts: 1
    I have a similar but not exact problem on my 2009 Genesis. I have not stalled
    out on the highway, but all power goes out while car is setting at home. One
    dealer installed a new battery. Within about 3 weeks everything was dead
    again. I carried the car to another dealership. After keeping it for 5 days they
    said they had fixed the problem. That was about 3 weeks ago. Yesterday,
    when we went to the car, no nothing. Completely dead again. It goes back to
    the dealer tomorrow. We are getting tired of this. My wife does not trust the
    car to go anywhere. Anyone else having similar problems? rlr5
    The fix is to clean all grounds from the battery, alternator, starter etc.

I believe the fix is to clean all bad connections; be it the positive wires or ground wires. Other than bolting the alternator and starter to the engine block there are usually no other grounds provided for these components. The battery is grounded to the frame of the car and this ground point must be good (clean and tight) or you can have the problems that you described.

Apparently, there was a small drain on the battery before they cleaned all the terminals and now there isn't. Hopefully this cures it!

I don’t buy that explanation. If you had a bad connection I don’t understand how there would have been a “small drain” (possibly any drain for that matter). A bad connection would prevent a drain not cause one, especially a “small drain”.

I’m not pointing a finger at you about what you wrote. You probably got this info from a Service Writer. My experience with Service Writers is that they don’t always understand what the technician told them and as a result they shoot from the hip when trying to explain the problem.

Hopefully they did fix the bad connections and you are done with this problem.

jmonroe

I hope so too. I personally don't know how any connections were corroded to the point of not making contact. The point where the battery is connected to ground in the truck is squeeky clean, and underhood everything looks as new. Who knows? These new cars are so damn complicated that one bad ground could cause the computer to go nuts and you get all kinds of random behavior.

I do know that my voltmeter will be in the car with me for a while to help if this happens again. What scares me is this may be a problem for other Genesis owners.

Completely dead again. It goes back to
    the dealer tomorrow.

Mention the "grounding problem" and tell them to call Hyundai directly, I guess there is a "tech" line of some sort. Keep us posted.

Thanks for the update. My wife was driving the freeway at 70 mph and suddenly decelerated to 20 mph for the next 5 miles until she could ramp off the road. Turning the engine off and then back on again resolved the problem. A month later the car stalled at idle but started right back up again. The dealer said he couldn't do anything unless a code was generated which it wasn't. I think this must be a computer control problem triggered by heat because it happened both times when the engine was hot and resolved when the engine cooled. It's an all or nothing phenomenah as at all other times the engine performs flawlessly.
    Regarding loss of battery charge ...

This may not have any relevance to those of you who have experienced power losses but for those who have mysteriously had their battery go dead, I may have the answer. When I first got my Genesis, every time I parked it at the airport for three or more days, I would return to find the battery as dead as a hammer! To make a very long story short, after they had kept my car for two straight weeks without finding the problem, I read about an Hyundai Azera owner having a problem with the hood-light switch. Sure enough, when I called them about it they checked and found that the hood-light switch on my car was leaned over in a position that it would not turn off the light when the hood was closed. At that point, it was a quick and easy fix.

For those of you who are having the power drastically reduced, it sounds like it is switching to the "limp home" mode. Mine did that when I was having problems with the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS). However, I was fortunate in that when it went into the limp mode, the technician was with me and he actually had some kind of computer monitoring device hooked to the car which gave him a code.

Both of the above scenarios were described in more detail in my earlier posts but I just wanted to mention them here in case either of them relate to problems described in recent posts. I am now at 68,000 miles and have not had any recurring issues.
    When you went into the "Limp Mode" were you notified via your control screen that you were actually driving in the limp mode? If you don't have the tech package did you see any warning lights indicating something was wrong?
    My Genesis is the 3.8 with all options (including Tech Pack). I do not recall if there were any symbols or messages that pooped up on the screen when it went into the "limp mode".

Here is some background. I started sensing a "shudder" or hesitation while driving at various speeds, especially when I was barely tipping into the accelerator. I thought it was one of three things: A.) An electrical problem, or B.) Starving for fuel, or C.) A problem with the torque converter. After it went into the limp mode and the technician was able to get a code, he called Hyundai's hot line and they narrowed it down to a problem with the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS). That is the device that electronically tells the fuel injectors how far you have pushed the accelerator pedal. You probably know that the Genesis and most other cars these days are "drive-by-wire", meaning that they do not actually have accelerator cables like in the old days.

I don't know if you are experiencing the "shuddering" or "hesitation" symptoms that I did, but if so, you should definitely be suspicious of the TPS.
  • mimithecatmimithecat Member Posts: 1
    My 2010 Genesis has only 5,000 miles, but I do have this annoying issue with steering wheel not "parking" correctly. It resets after few weeks and it starts all over again. The dealer is about 40 minutes away. So, I called to discuss first. They never heard of this issue. I am trying to get as much info as possible before going there for checkup. Any advice? Was it fixed in you car? What should I tell the dealer before coming?
    Thanks.
    This is a very common problem. I am surprised they never heard about it. The part was on national backorder when they fixed mine. As soon as I mentioned it the dealer just ordered the part. Funny thing the loaner I had the other day the wheel had the problem and the car only had 140 miles on it.

Thanks. I think that is exactly the same problem we have. At times when barely accelerating from a stop the car will shoot out from underneath you like a rocket and you'll think wow what a nice engine. But that's not so much fun when there is a car right in front of you. We have the shuddering and the sudden deceleration on only one occasion. It was a miracle to have happen while the technician had the equiptment hooked up. I wonder how much trouble I'm going to have getting my service manager to replace the TPS. He sounded underwhelmed by my complaints. I am a minimalist and probably would have just kept driving had it not been for your experience. Thanks again for the tip.
  • mchris07mchris07 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same issue, my car just turned 20,000 miles and driving down the interstate last week it went into "limp Home mode" from 70 to 20, was nearly killed by a semi behind me. The odemeter stated 75 miles to empty, but I assumed I had run out of gas. Hyudai sent road side assistance, we put gas in it and it seemed to run fine. Today I was driving home from grocery, and again it went into limp home mode. I just had it towed to dealership. I will call and inform of what I am reading here.
    It looks like this forum has uncovered a recurring problem that Hyundai needs to know about. Hopefully they are monitoring this site.