Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Genesis Sedan 2009+

Comments

• colegarcolegar Member Posts: 80
    3.8 WITH ALL OPTIONS

The last 5,000 miles have been totally uneventful. Absolutely no problems and no changes in performance.

I will mention that when you have any occasion to remove a wheel, you should check behind them to make sure that they reinstalled the center cap on each wheel securely. I have lost two center caps after having the tires rotated. Thankfully, the tire dealer took responsibility for it both times and ordered replacements at no charge.

Pretty boring ... huh?
  • sooththetruthsooththetruth Member Posts: 40
    I have lost two center caps after having the tires rotated

I had it happen to me when I let the dealer rotate the tires. They, too, ordered the replacement at no charge.

I am having a different problem in that Hyundai gave me XM for a year when I purchased the vehicle, but never told XM, and tried to have the XM turned off on the previous car, and get a credit. Instead, XM is holding me hostage because Hyundai has not contacted them, and still charging me for the old car. I am calling my dealer, and they are not calling me back to let me know what to do. They promised to call Hyundai corporate, but XM is not acknowledging any such call from corporate. XM has gone so far as to charge me for the renewel fee on the old vehicle.

Honestly, I am not trying to steal anything. Seems to me that XM is using me to put the squeeze on Hyundai, and I may have my lawyer call or write XM with my displeasure. Of course, the letter will cost as much as the one year subscription. Anyone else suffer this problem? I would not have even had the problem if I had just asked XM for a credit on the remaining months due me, instead of asking them to add the credit to the GENESIS when my free year ran out.

That really set off the storm.
  • ctlctl Member Posts: 129
    fitzmall.com is selling base 2011 (not 2010) Genesis V6 Sedan at $27.5K! Are they simply not selling well or is there any Toyota-like recall issue going on?
  • toyetoye Member Posts: 351
    no recalls as far as I know
    Hyundai just posted sales of the Genesis for Sept 2010 at over 3200 units sold!!
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Now that the Genesis is in its 3rd model year, the newness has worn off and Hyundai is starting to discount the cars like similarly-priced cars from other automakers. Look around, you'll see large discounts on G's, ES's, and the big FWD family sedans that are in the $30s like the Maxima, Avalon, and Taurus. Not to mention the huge discounts on RWD luxury cars like the M and GS. Also, if you haven't noticed, the car market is still struggling--big discounts are the norm. I'm surprised the Genesis has done so well with so little in direct rebates up until recently.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    fitzmall.com is selling base 2011 (not 2010) Genesis V6 Sedan at $27.5K! Are they simply not selling well or is there any Toyota-like recall issue going on?

According to Edmunds, Hyundai is not offering any sort of consumer incentive on the Genesis. Fitzmall is known for rock bottom pricing so perhaps they have a dealer incentive with Hyundai.
  • miklomiklo Member Posts: 67
    This is no surprize cuz the prices go up to $36,800.00 and as always it depends whats in it ,taxes, delivery charges on and on.OFC all the extras cost mo money and like always let the buyer beware. I live in Arizona so lets see add air fair food and hotel and when I have a problem do I drive back to east coast?But ty Im sure this can be helpful to many ppl.

MIKLO
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Actually, most dealerships will arrange to deliver a car to you, for a fee of course. Depending on what kind of discount you can get out of state, it could be worth it to have the car shipped to you, if your local dealers won't deal.
  • gensiscangensiscan Member Posts: 17
    Bonjour,

Colegar experienced the tires change a few month ago, a had to do it for the same reason or almost.
    I replaced the tires at around 27,000 miles even though I could have got more out of them. This was because I ran over a nail (got thru the sidewall) and they don't want to fix it. So after running a week on a used tire (turanza) because i didn't want to use the one in the trunk I replaced the full set.

I am now running SUMITOMO 97H.
    According to TIRERACK they finish on top with the yokohama envigor. After 500 miles they are great, super quiet especially compare to the original Dunlops. And for the money is a good deal. But the Dunlops were a little better on cornering.

My first idea was the Envigor, but after review the test of Tirerack, and because noise and breaking are the first thing i am looking on tires, sumitomo was a little better than Envigor.

For the winter i prefer the winter tires, that change will be done in less than 2 months.

After the michelin pilot of colegar, is somebody have ride on something different of the originals tires ???
  • cincymikecincymike Member Posts: 11
    Back again, sorry, but it's snow time in the midwest and still have the Dunlaps.
    Am probably going to go with the Bridgestone "Serenity"
    Any comments ? or other suggestions ?

• yobosayoyobosayo Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problem with the same car and thanks to this forum I was able to get the TPS replaced and this fixed the problem. I first went to my local dealer who denied any problem existed and he said since no codes were generated he could do nothing about it. After a thorough search I found out there is a confidential service bulletin that has been issued to all the dealers on this precise problem with the TPS on this car. I wrote and called Hyundai who refused initially to acknowlege the service bulletin and when I finally convinced them that I had the goods on the service bulletin refused to send it to me. I finally found a sympathetic dealer in a town 70 miles from here who agreed to replace the TPS. He demanded the car be delivered at 8AM which required me to hire a driver for half a day to make the connection with the dealer in the remote town. When my driver dropped off the car the service manager knew nothing about the repair and doubted they had the part in stock. I finally got in touch with the manager I had been dealing with who had sequestered the part away for me and finally the repair jelled. After installation the computer would not accept the new software so they had to manually load it and force the load. It was an all day ordeal for my half day driver who started out at 5AM. The car is now perfect again but to accomplish this mission I had to put maximum pressure on everyone involved including Hyundai customer service and the owner of the remote dealer. I would imagine I made conservatively 30 telephone calls during this process. I had restricted my wife to driving around town so we essentially had a $45000 dollar nearly new car we could not drive on long trips or the interstate for about two months while I worked all this out. Considering the severity of the safety issue with my wife almost becoming the hood ornament for a large semi I was absolutely amazed at Hyundai's refusal to send me the service bulletin so I could get the car fixed locally. This is a serious problem that exists for only a few Genesis cars that should be the subject of a recall instead of sending the customer on a wild goose chase. I am amazed that Hyundai would take such a risk especially considering the fact that all of this is discoverable. I guess all's well that ends well but this experience is massively different than the experience I received from Infinity Service for 10 years. If you have a 2009 Genesis V6 with a tech package I strongly recommend you check with your dealer about this confidential service bulletin regarding the Throttle Position Sensor defect.
    Have had the Bridgestone Serenty tires for 8 months now and love them. Better than the orginal Dunlaps and even more quiet.
    Replying to yobosayo

I think I was the first one to experience and report the faulty Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) but I am fortunate enough to have bought my Genny from a much more responsive dealer. Since I was the first, it took a while for them to determine the problem, but they never gave up and they provided me with a loaner car.

I am now at almost 74,000 miles on the odometer and have not had any reoccurance of the TPS issue.
  • cincyjoecincyjoe Member Posts: 3
    edited November 2010
    Hey CincyMike - I'm in Cincinnati also with a '09 Genesis Sedan. Just got it. I'd like to talk some time about the remote start question. I'm starting to look in to it.
  • sergio19sergio19 Member Posts: 90
    cincyjoe,

Congrats on the purchase of a really great car!

Regarding the Remote Start, you should take a look at the "Fortin EVO-ALL" product.
    You DO NOT loose a key FOB with that product,

I'm having mine installed late this week.

Regards,
  • cincymikecincymike Member Posts: 11
    How does this work with the keyless start? Is it a complete remote like the GM's, with heat; air etc? Where is installed localy in the Cincinnati area?

thanks

CincyMike
    :confuse:
    I'd like to know where to get it installed in the Cincy area, as well. If you found out anything let me know and I'll do the same for you.
    3.8 WITH ALL OPTIONS

This will be my final 5,000 mile update since I am trading my Genesis in on a 2011 VW Touareg TDI. However, for a few weeks, I will occasional check back to see if anyone has any questions before I ride off into the sunset.

There is certainly no logical reason for me to sell my Genesis but no one has ever accused me of being logical when it comes to cars! I would rank my owner experience and satisfaction with the Genesis as among the top two or three of all the cars that I have owned ... and that is a bunch! I will have put 77,000 miles on it with zero out-of-pocket expense except for tires and routine service. I have not needed to replace one thing that was not covered by warranty. No brake pads. No battery, no nothing! (Or is that "no anything"?)

There have been only two problems of any significance: 1.) A battery drain problem that turned out to be caused by the hood-light switch being our of position, and, 2.) The Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) had to be replaced because it was causing hesitations and shuddering at highway speeds. Both of these problems were covered under warranty.

Those of you who have endured my routine updates know that I have highly touted the overall drive-ability and performance of this car and I have bragged that it is one of the few six-cylinder cars that made me not want a V8. And, most impressive was the fuel mileage which was at least 28 MPG at 75-80 MPH on the Interstate.

I have nothing to report relative to the last five thousand miles. Just smooth, comfortable driving!

Oh ... and I at least had the good sense to purchase a comprehensive, non-deductible extended service contract for my new Touareg. I am aware that it will probably not be nearly as trouble-free as the Genesis. As I said, no one ever accused me of being logical.

Good luck to all of you Genny owners!
  • LASHAWNLASHAWN Member Posts: 303
    I'm wanted to know why you chose the VW Toureg TDI? Aside from the obvious fuel economy of a diesel, did you ever think of the Hyundai Veracruz?
    Yes, I considered the Veracruz along with the Acura MDX and some other SUVs. I have been an all-wheel drive nut for years, as well as a diesel nut, and I prefer the Torsen center differential that Audi uses in their Q7 and now the new Touareg uses. It is active all the time and provides more torque to the axle that has traction rather than reacting to wheel slippage after-the-fact as most systems do. It is also biased more to the rear axle under normal driving conditions, therefore providing handling more like a rear-wheel drive vehicle. The Veracruz starts out as a front-wheel drive vehicle and diverts some torque to the rear wheels when it senses slippage. I prefer a longitudinal engine setup vs. that of the Veracruz and several others which have transverse-mounted engines and use Haldex Traction 4WD systems.

I realize that the Touareg does not compare when it comes to "bang for the buck" but I spend about three hours per day in my vehicle, so I am willing to waste a few bucks to make that time more enjoyable. I also know that much of the benefit of the 28 MPG of the new Touareg TDI is offset by thirty cents more per gallon for diesel fuel. Bottom line, just chalk my decision up to being anal about what I like to drive.
  • houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    Extremely good answer. One should never forget that the best reason for buying any car is simply because that is the one you prefer.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• LASHAWNLASHAWN Member Posts: 303
    I thought the Acura had the best AWD system available, since they talk it up so much. Didn't realize the new VW has the Torsen center diff. You like what you like, the best way to answer the question of why one would chose to buy something. I like your style, kudos to you.
    Colegar I for one would like to thank you for your always informative and to the point post. I will certainly miss not having you here, you have really made my ownership of the Genesis alot easier. Since we have the same model I could always look at what you had done to see my future....lol My experience with the car has been wonderful and I have not spent one dollar for anything since I bought the car,mine came with free lifetime maintenance which saves a few bucks. I am not so surprised that your buying a new car because I know you drive alot and its nice to be comfortable when driving, so enjoy your new ride.You have been the best poster IMO and that will be missed by all.Sorry I have not posted for awhile but I was in Europe for 2months having a great time.I also saw a Genesis that someone had shipped over and ppl were going crazy and really loved the car........ how could anyone not love this car? lol
    Again colegar thanks for all your help and post and stop by and say hello sometime if you can, good luck with the new car and with life.
    MIKLO
    The MDX has the best all-wheel drive of all the brands that have the transverse-mounted engines and it may even be the most capable of all brands including those that use the longitudinal engine setup. The SH-AWD Acura system has sophisticated electronics that actually vector more torque to the rear outside wheel during cornering, and I believe that same vectoring technology comes into play when traction is lost. I have read some tests that showed the MDX outperforming all other all-wheel drive brands on ice-covered surfaces.

Even though I prefer the longitudinal engine with a Torsen center differential, I would have gone with the MDX if Acura had introduced a diesel engine. However, I recently read that they have abandoned their plans to offer a diesel.

I apologize to the Genesis owners for getting this forum off-subject. I know that they did not visit this site to hear me talk about diesel engines and all-wheel drive systems.
    Miklo, thanks for all of your responses over the past several months. I don't think that there has been a more enthusiastic Genesis owner than you and I congratulate you on your ride being absolutely trouble-free so far.

Good luck! Maybe you should replace me with the "5,000 Mile Update at _ _, _ _ _ Miles" reports. I have tried to keep them informative and factual, both good and bad.
  • buddycbuddyc Member Posts: 10
    I am among the throngs here who absolutely loves my 2009 Genesis 3.8 sedan (Premium pkg) ... but we are enduring the toughest and snowiest New England winter in decades this year, so the OEM Dunlops of course have been predicatably disastrous in all the heavy snow and ice this winter. At the suggestion of my brother, who recommended the high-performance Swedish winter tire Nokian, I am installing four (4) new Nokian WR G2 (aggressive winter) tires on my RWD Genesis today. Of course having spent some of Super Bowl weekend searching innumerable auto tires sites and blogs, I am more confused now that certain I have made a good choice -- and somehow didn't even know that the '09 Genesis has both ESC (active OFTEN this month!) and traction control ...? How effective do you all find it is in the Genesis? Anyone have especially good winter traction on a set of tires? Thanks for any input!
  • pogo5pogo5 Member Posts: 10
    I live in Wi. The first winter I had the Genisis I put on a set of Bridgestone Bliz.
    Car goes throw snow like it had front wheel drive! Have them on the rear only.
    Great tires!
  • doug71doug71 Member Posts: 20
    Live in the Laural Highlands in Western Pennsylvania and we get snow. I and everyone else in snow country agree, the Dunlops do not even come close to working in the Snow. This is my 3rd winter with my Genesis. 1st was with the Dunlops-what an experience!!!! 2nd was with Cooper Tires. This winter I put a set of Goodyear Advantage Triple Tread tires. You know they work perfect and have an 80,000 mile tread wear warranty. Hope this information helps you. :)
  • adamsboysgolfadamsboysgolf Member Posts: 5
    I put on Michelin ice t's all around this year and they drive wonderful. I live in Mass and drive to RI everyday. No problem with the snow tires on the genny.
  • genesis57genesis57 Member Posts: 21
    Buddyc,
    I too love my 2009 Genesis 3.8 and have put 28K miles on it. I found the OEM Dunlops to be downright dangerous in snow and ice. I put on a set of Blizzaks and it made a huge difference. The car handles very well in the snow now. In order to avoid seasonal changeovers, when this season is over I am going to put on a new set of Continental Extreme Contact DWS (dry, wet, snow) tires. Check out Tirerack.com and look at the ultra premium all season tires. The DWS rank at the top and are a great value.
    Safe travels!
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    FWIW, we just put the Conti Extreme Contact DWS tires on the wife's 2009 Sonata. We replaced the OEM Hankooks it came with the new Contis. The Hankooks only had 9000 miles on them but literally sucked in the winter. The difference is night and day. We highly recommend the DWS version regardless of the vehicle they are going on.
    Great feedback, thanks genesis57 ... the Conti's were definitely one of my top choices, having had excellent past experience with Extreme Contacts. Are you in a northern clime where you'll run those most all year, or just for the worst of the winter months? I've read that the DWS's wear fairly quickly ... thanks again!
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    We live in the Laurel Highlands of PA and will run these tires year-round. Mileage/wear isn't a real concern for us as my wife's car only gets about 5000 miles per year put on it.
  • genesis57genesis57 Member Posts: 21
    I'm in New England and will use the DWS year round. I've read mixed reviews on their longevity...but the majority seemed to feel that they were getting good distance on the tires. My main concern is to have the safest tires I can find, and perferably some that work well in all conditions. The DWS seem to fit the bill. The blizzaks have been great this winter with the record snowfall we've been experiencing but I look forward to more confidence and better handling in all conditions when I get the DWS's put on in early Spring.
  • lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    Currently driving an 05 Camry SE-V6. Like it a lot but I'm not getting any younger and would like to have a true luxury car just once. Am to cheap to buy new but there seem to be a lot of good deals on 2009 V6 Genesises (Geneses??) in the mid-$20K range or lower with less than 30k miles. Although the Genesis is a little bigger car than I prefer, I am spoiled by the Camry's huge trunk and generous rear seat legroom. The Genesis is the only thing that comes close unless I got into a BMW 7-series or M-B S-class which I'm not willing to do.

Any advice on what to look for or look out for in a used Genesis V6?
    edited February 2011
    I'm not sure there is anything to look out for. It is a great vehicle, great ride, nice handling and enough power to get you into trouble, if you so desire. The only draw back is finding a dealer to install a remote start, due to the push button start. I don't want to give up one key fob for this feature. They do make bypass module so you don't have to give up one of your two key fobs.

I'd buy the vehicle again in a minute!

Good luck!
  • alonzo2alonzo2 Member Posts: 46
    Some of the V6 models with the tech package have a defective throttle position sensor which can be difficult to get fixed. Despite issuing a confidential service bulletin sent to dealers only, Hyundai did not recall these affected vehicles and they will not let you see the service bulletin so it can take a sustained effort to get the part replaced. I had to talk to three different dealers and finally take the car 40 miles out of town to get the work done. When the TPS malfunctions the car goes into the "Limp Mode" and will unexpectedly decelerate in my case from 70 mph to 20 mph and had my wife not been able to get onto the shoulder we would have been a hood ornament for the semi that was following us. Other than a Jaguair sport(stiff) suspension which shocks some people this is a great car with more bang for the buck than anything in its class. I'd just recommend checking to see if the TPS has been successfully replaced on the car you are buying.
  • lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    Some of the V6 models with the tech package have a defective throttle position sensor which can be difficult to get fixed.

A vehicle with the tech package would have navigation, right? So if I steer clear of a nav-equipped V6, I should be safe.
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,901
    Any advice on what to look for or look out for in a used Genesis V6?

The only thing I will tell you is that you must drive this car on the roads you drive everyday the ride can be jittery and unsettled. Mine is an early 09 and there was a suspension revsion later in the 09 model year to reduce this. You are coming from a Toyota which usually have a pretty soft ride (I see you have an SE Camry which is still softer than the Genesis). Mine has had some issues which if you search this forum you will see.

If you like the ride the handling is excellent and the interior is very nice. One other thing to note is the stock Dunlop SP Sport tires are terrible in the snow. If looking used, consider it a serious plus if the tires have been switched for something else.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

Imacmil,

Honest to goodness, there's not a single vehicle or product I can think of that I could recommend more highly, based on my own experience. I've had my Genesis 3.8 since March of '09 and not a single MONTH goes by that I don't have someone in a parking lot or gas station point to my car and say What IS that? They can never believe it's made by Hyundai ... and especially if you get the Genesis 'winged' badging (vs. the italicized "H"), people really think it's some sort of Maybach or something. And importantly, this is not just 'near luxury' to me ... it IS luxury! You will not be disappointed if you get one!
    Definitely sound advice on the SP5000 OEM tires though, I must say ... horrendous in snow so I've put 4 Nokian WR G2 (winter rated, awesome) tires on it and it is now every bit the beast in NE snow as my old Saab or AWD Audi A6. The tires really make a HUGE difference, especially with RWD ... and for the record, while I respect the previous comment re: 'jittery ride', I drive an aggressive combo of highway and back roads in New England, and while the ride if far from 'floaty' or 'cushy', I've never been concerned about the supposed 'jittery' ride that Consumer Reports noted as well. Guess truth is I like a bit more feel of/for the road anyway ... but good comments here overall. Every car has some quirks, no doubt ....
    I got my Genesis new in 2009 and I still really like this car very much, I have not had any problems at all. Although I don’t drive very much it sure is a pleasure when I do, OFC with only 16,000 mile its just getting broken in. I have the 6 cyl which is plenty fast enough for me. I test drove the 8 cyl but saw no real difference in the way they run, OFC the 8 cyl must be a little faster but wasn’t anything I needed. This car has everything except the navigation system. Like most ppl I have owned a lot of cars over the years (2005 Cady STS B4 Genesis) but this is one of the best cars I have ever had, IMO. Try it you'll like it.....LOL BTW my dealer gives me free oil changes 4life so I have not spent any money on this car since I bought it. IMO it is one hell of a car and priced right, I have all this power and luxury at a lot less money.
    MIKLO
    I don't know the answer to this question but all the people on this site and those I know who have had the TPS problem have been 2009 models with the tech package. Only Hyundai knows for sure but I suspect it involves a limited number of cars. I do know that the new TPS instalation requires new software that the main tech package will not accept and requires the help of the software engineers at Genesis Central to force load. I hope this is helpful.
  • bpajax1bpajax1 Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2011
    My 27 month lease is up in April on my 2009 Genesis 3.8 V6 with Premium. It's in great shape - no problems and I love it. Normally, I turn my leased vehicles in and find something new and different to move on to, but this time I'm seriously considering exercising my purchase option for $22,400. I can't really find anything out there in the market that gets me excited. What do you guys think? Is $22,400 a good deal for me? Any better ideas? The newly re-styled 2012 Acura TL comes out next month. Wait for the 2012 Azera? Something else I'm missing?
    I'm keeping mine for the duration too. I find it interesting that BMW came out with a design that looks almost identical to the Genesis. New Mercedes Benz models are starting to look more like the Genesis. I'm going to stick with the car that is bringing the big boys together.
    alonzo2,

I expect to be in the very same position after my 36-month lease next spring with my '09 Genesis 3.8 premium, and as of now I cannot imagine a single car on the road I'd rather have (for the $) than the own already in my driveway. Financing a $22.5K buyout won't be too painful, and I have little/no doubt that this car will continue to be very low maintenance for the duration. (I also just put $1,100 in new high-end Nokian snow tires on mine, so that is an investment I want to realize fully as well.) Good luck with your decision ... I think it's a good move in my book!
    I love hearing this from guys that have leased their Genesis, I bought mine in January of 09 and I haven’t had any problems after 2 years. Although I don’t put on many miles (16,000) the miles I do drive are very nice.I have said this B4 but like many ppl I have owned many cars,all the big boys cars like Cady,BMW,Lincolns, a few sports cars......etc. but 4real I love this car and not just the price I paid for it, but in general it has everything I want and need, and my dealer does the maintenance every 5,000 miles for free. :) I removed all the branding and I love it when someone comes up 2me and says what kinda car is that? When I tell em most say no way I thought it was some luxury car and OFC my reply is your right it is a luxury car at about half the price and IMO it can roll with any of them. Enjoy your cars and know that you own one of the sweetest car at a great price that has come out in a vvvvv long time if ever.
    I have 09 3.8 tech Genesis. The 36 month lease will done in March 2012 I will have near 38k on it and the buyout is $18,500. I also plan to buy mine as well.
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,901
    edited February 2011
    My lease is up May 2012, however, mine will be going straight back to Hyundai....

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    "I find it interesting that BMW came out with a design that looks almost identical to the Genesis. New Mercedes Benz models are starting to look more like the Genesis."

And the Genesis is almost a carbon copy of the 2005 Acura RL...