Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Genesis Sedan 2009+

Comments

• alonzo2alonzo2 Member Posts: 46
    Your point is well taken when the cars are compared from the front and I guess it's a personal preference thing but the empanage of the Genesis is an exastential experience for most viewers.
  • alonzo2alonzo2 Member Posts: 46
    Actually I paid cash for mine and have never regretted it. I do my own maintenance because it is so easy. When I first got the car I took off the lower engine cowling before my 8 year old grandaughter showed me the big sign on the upper engine cover that says something like "OIL FILTER" with a big arrow. After I put the 28 bolts back in it took me 10 minutes to change the oil. I actually enjoy doing the maintenance.
    With regard to the suspension it was easy so to sense in one quick test drive that this was a sport tuned suspension and not a soft cushiony ride like a Lexus. I like it. I can't understand why some people were so surprised after the purchase as they surely test drove it prior to purchase
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    Existential empennage? Really?

A philosophical aviator? I want some of the cool-aid you're drinking!
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,907
    edited February 2011
    can't understand why some people were so surprised after the purchase as they surely test drove it prior to purchase

Its not that you don't notice that it is sport tuned. Its just hard to tell how jittery and unsettled the ride becomes on certain road surfaces. Anyone coming from a Toyota/Lexus type ride needs to be absolutely sure they can live with the differences.

I had no problem with the ride on the test drives. I knew it rode firmer than my 06 Avalon, but since the handling was much better I jumped in figuring that it would be ok for me. After the first week driving on the roads I frequent I knew I made a mistake. I cringe on certain roads. I truely believe that my GF's 08 Elantra rides better (obviously not nearly as quiet)

The only real knock on the car I have is the ride. After some nagging issues mine has been staying away from the shop and everything seems to be holding up well.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• cincymikecincymike Member Posts: 11
    Ditto, and Amen!
    edited March 2011
    The "empenage" of Genesis and RL are almost exactly the same shape too. Hyundai simply tweaked the appearance by extending the tail lights onto the trunk lid and stretching the chrone trim over the license plate so that it touches the tail lights.

I'm not saying the Genesis tail doesn't look nice - I think it looks very good (nicer than the RL, which is rather plain looking). All I'm saying is that Hyundai is not leading the pack in design and they are not the envy of Mercedes and BMW - Hyundai quite obviously is still a "Copy and Paste" outfit.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    edited March 2011
    Hyundai didn't go "out there" with the first Genesis. But their more recent designs e.g. Sonata, Elantra, Accent, Tucson, and Veloster, have been more imaginative, using the company's "fluidic sculpture" theme. And the Genesis coupe has some unique styling touches. I wouldn't be surprised to see the next Genesis sedan be more daring in styling, but not much more. Luxury sedans aren't known for avant-garde styling.
    "using the company's "fluidic sculpture" theme."

Maybe it's just me, but the fluidic sculpture theme looks derived from the Mercedes CL...

• backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    The roofline of the Sonata does evoke the Passat CC and the CL. But I don't see similarities to Mercedes in any of the other cars I listed. The Elantra and Veloster, and in some ways the Genesis coupe, are pretty unique designs IMO--and that's hard to do these days.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    In this focus group of one - I'm already a little tired of fluidic styling of the new Hyundais. IMHO, it's going to look dated quickly.

I hope Genesis takes a more reserved styling direction - they may wish to distinguish Genesis as I still think it's going to become a distinct brand.
    I agree the Sonata will not age well. I think the Kia Optima is MUCH better looking than the Sonata - I actually enjoy the TV commercial.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    I'll disagree there - Kia could've done so much better than that Superbowl ad.
  • carowner5carowner5 Member Posts: 3
    I'm thinking to install a bike carrier under rear bumper, that wouldn't make my Genesis look ugly. Any experience with aftermarket products, recommendations?
  • lilengineerboylilengineerboy Member Posts: 4,116
    Its actually a trailer hitch you will be installing. Curt and Hidden Hitch both have models that usually bolt on with no drilling required. U-Haul can also sell and install a hitch, although theirs tend to be bulkier. I would expect between $150 and 200 for a class II, 1 1/4" receiver.
    Depending on how many bikes you intend to carry and your budget, I would recommend the Thule Helium or Yakima High-Lite series racks, they are very light weight and easy to get on and off the car. Another important feature is arms that fold down...this makes parking much easier when the bikes aren't on the rack.
  • skartskart Member Posts: 6
    I am looking to buy a Certified Preowned 2009 Genesis to replace my Toyota Avalon which is a great car but has 240,000 miles. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions in terms of what price I should pay with 16K miles - 3.8L V6 with Navigation. I live in NJ. Also do I need to change tires for snow driving since it is a RWD car
  • dandydon2dandydon2 Member Posts: 77
    Suggest you check out www/edmunds.com for an appraisal. Looks like it should be worth about $25,500 or thereabouts, depending on options, condition, color and whether it is from a private party or a dealer.

Good luck.

Don
    Are u in NJ - I have checked it. Appreciate that.
    Mid 20s seems about right for value of an 09. I know I'll probably be flamed for saying this, but I will anyway. I would be very careful coming out of an Avalon for a Genesis. I had two Avalons (03 and an 06) and they were both great cars. I enjoyed the roominess and the soft ride. I have an 09 Genesis and it rides much firmer than the Avalon and can get unsettled at times. I can't stand the ride, but its a pretty good car otherwise.

As for snow, if the Genesis is riding on the OEM Dunlop SP Sport tires it will be a handful in the snow. I would replace them with a better tire more suited for all weather driving or get dedicated snow tires.

I have not yet test driven the Genesis. I could not agree with you better. I have a 1998 Avalon XLS and is awesome. Other than the firm ride, are there any other areas/concerns I need to watch for. How many miles do you have on the Genesis? I commute everyday 30 miles one way and then would like to drive this to my long distance trips especially if I am not going with family. How is the gas mileage? I get only 21/22 mpg on my '98 Avalon
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Don't see why you'd get flamed for your post - there's a lot of good info there. If the original poster prefers a firmer ride, maybe it'll be better for his needs.

Having had a RWD sport sedan until recently, I concur with the suggestion to get snow tires. Without snow tires, mine performed about as well in the snow as a motorcycle.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Don't see why you'd get flamed for your post - there's a lot of good info there.

I may be getting my forums confused... on another site dedicated to the Genesis, I've had a few instances where I was flamed for knocking the ride.

Other than the firm ride, are there any other areas/concerns I need to watch for.

Mine had a few issues, all fixed by the dealer promptly. There are posts about it here. I have about 24K on mine and for just about a year has been away from the dealer except for maintenance.

I average right around 20 in mine and that is mostly city or gridlock highway. It will pull upper 20s all highway quite easily. It is a pretty quiet car and either of the two Lexicon sound systems (I have the 14 speaker no nav car) are fantastic.

Good input. Will use it to evaluate my purchase.
  • tpricetprice Member Posts: 46
    edited August 2011
    I have a 2009 4.6L and have been very happy with it. I have 10 months left on the lease and currently plan to buy it. Having said that, it's been to the dealer twice in past 3 weeks - once to repair the tilt/telescope switch and today to replace the knob that controls the a/v navi inputs. If it stops here, my plan will still be to buy it out. I went through the first winter with the Dunlops and it was horrible - the worst winter driving experience I've ever had. Last winter I went ahead and got dedicated winter tires (Michelin X-Ice 2's?) and it made a HUGE difference. Prior to that, I thought winter tires were primarily marketing hype but can say I became a true convert. We just came back from a 5 days 2000 mile trip and the Genesis performed flawlessly - except for not being able to use the navi due to the knob issue - -just as we were entering the NY city metro area of all times (luckily my phone provided adequate back-up!). Enjoy.
  • buddycbuddyc Member Posts: 10
    16K is sure extremely low mileage, and given my excellent experience thus far with my 2009 Genesis 3.8, I would certainly pay right at appraised value if that is best you can do. As for snow tire need, I live in Mass and put Nokian snow tires on all 4 wheels this past winter, it did make a big difference in handling with all the snow and ice we had this past winter. Am swapping out the OEM Dunlops (which are horrendous in winter, btw) each spring/late fall. Good luck ... can't recommend the Genesis more highly!
    Am swapping out the OEM Dunlops (which are horrendous in winter, btw

If there was ever one thing agreed upon about a car it is how horrilbe the Dunlops are in winter driving. I have never heard one word to the contrary on any forum.

• dandydon2dandydon2 Member Posts: 77
    Nope. I live in Bend, which is in the high desert of central Oregon.

Don
  • pogo5pogo5 Member Posts: 10
    I live in Milwaukee Wi the first winter I took the duncraps off, Put 2 Bridgestone Bliz. On the back, now it is like front wheel drive. Don 't leave home without them!
    Great article. Is that March 15th 2011. I am assuming that you have a Genesis 2009 and are proud of it.
    Also are those tires good in the rain also?? I have never driven a RWD car and want to make sure that I getting some good advice from the people who have owned this car for 2 plus years. If you have any other insights also it will be helpful
  • cincymikecincymike Member Posts: 11
    The car is well worth the investment. Had mine for 24000 miles. However, if it still has dunlops, make them replace them, "deal breaker". Worse damn tires, ever mounted on any vehicle
  • doug71doug71 Member Posts: 20
    I've owned my 2009 Genesis 3.8 since Sept. of 2008. It presently has 38,000 miles. Best auto that I have ever had. I ended up putting Goodyear Advantage Triple Tread tires on the car. Really good in the snow and very good in the rain. Again, the Genesis is the perfect car at an attactive price point. :)
  • miklomiklo Member Posts: 67
    I agree the dunlop tires suck,they are the worst tires I have ever had,Your lucky I had to replace mine at 17,000 miles but at least the dealer paid for 2 new ones after I raised hell.
    Miklo
  • lesserlalesserla Member Posts: 1
    I too have noticed a noise on my 2010 Genesis and I am bringing it in for service. Either its a wheel bearing, tranny or as mentioned, bad tires. The noise seems to get worse at around 40 mph, a howling is the best was to describe it. It sounds like a Jeep Liberty with all 4 snow tires.
    Though I've never had the noise issue you describe, sergio, I did have issue with the OEM Dunlop tires on my 2009 Genesis -- they were fine in summer, but unstable to the point of dangerous for my New England winter. So I now have Nokian WR G2 tires on it, originally just for the winter, but I now run them year round and they are phenomenally smooth, excellent in heavy rain, quiet on highway, and IMO a perfect complement to the stiffer Genesis suspension and RWD. I would recommend them to anyone for this car ... and not incidentally, my 3.8 premium Genesis sedan (black with wings both front and rear) gets questions still whenever I fill up for gas, at stop lights, in my driveway ... everywhere! The question usually goes like this: What IS that car?! And I'm so proud ... just bought mine off lease and plan to drive it until I trade it (if my heart can stand it) for a new one ... or an Equus. :<)
  • car109car109 Member Posts: 4
    YES, the Driver seat is small and pumpy. i am only 5.9 and 182 LB and it is small seat.
    Edmunds should sent such information to all customers and to Hyndai.
    Buick Lesabre 2005 has much smoother and comfrtable ride VS. Gensis 2012.
    Toyota Avylon has a nicer ride.
    They might need to put the [non-permissible content removed] of the steering wheel to add space to driver seat.
    Improve the design for comfort.
    Genesis 2012-I have no idea why the ride is pumped, and seat (front) are small.
    I honestly it is a ride almost like a camry 2012 with double the price.
    I also rented Santa-Fe 2012, and had poor ride @ 60 MPH or above.
  • carowner5carowner5 Member Posts: 3
    My 2010 Genesis's display (no GPS edition) suddenly turned blue with wide black stripe across. Everything works as before: radio, A/C, CD, sound, etc., but can't see anything on screen. Dealer says the whole unit should be replaced, because the internal "display driver" is dead and cannot be fixed. New Lexicon unit (14 speaker edition) costs $2,000+. Of course, it happened right after the warranty expired!
    Any solution?
    Start calling junkyards and check EBay for a used unit. Install yourself or ask an indie shop to do it for you.

i am sorry I bought Hyundai myself. poor service. sales pressure,
    I prefer a Honda, no problem, goos service.
    Genesis might paid other to say good things. It has poor ride, and get very poor after 5K.
    Gas for their cars is very low,,,hardly get 26MPG on Highway and 15-16mpg in the city.
    a Friend got Sonata,, averaged 28mpg in HWY not 35.
    and 20 in the city, not 24.
  • billfisher52billfisher52 Member Posts: 1
    Seems to me that most of these haters have never owned or even ridden in a Genesis or above Hyundai. For the matter the new Azera has been rated neck and neck with the Lexus ES 350 by most of the mags. I've owned two Acuras and a Volkswagen Phaeton and have bought two Genesis for my mom and one for me. My wife is on her third Audi. They are a whisker away from Acura quality. My only complaints would be that the ride is a little too Buick instead of Audi and the leather on the drivers seat after only 27,000 miles is getting a bit shiny looking. That tells me the material quality is just a touch off. Otherwise this car has been stellar. So stellar in fact that I can't wait for the next iteration of the Genesis so I can own it. Keep hating all you status conscious dopes who want to waste your hard earned money on nothing more than a name. Me? I'm a fan. Hyundai has earned my loyalty.
  • adamsboysgolfadamsboysgolf Member Posts: 5
    I followed the launch of the Genesis back in 2009. I went to a ride along at Westover AFB before they even went on sale. I ended up purchasing a 2009 V6 premium with 32k on it in August 2010 . It's been the best car I've ever owned. I live in MA. and bought four snows the first winter. Drove that Genie right through two blizzards with no problem.

I now have 110K on that Genesis. Only thing I've had done to it is the front brakes beyond normal maintenance. I have had a couple recall things done. The most troubling was the well documented throttle sensing switch.

Only thing I can sense is the quietness of the cabin is going away. Road noise is creeping in but everything else is just fine. My twenty two year old son wants to buy it off me.

Got to give Hyundai credit....they have done a great job at building their brand. I'm a Hyundai loyalist.
    edited April 2013
    WOW REALLY? I own a 2009 Genesis which I bought new and I get 20mpg in the city and 25 on the highway, BTW Genesis was car of the year in 2009 so it's not just shills that say good things about this car. I have been buying cars for over 40 years the last car I owned was a CTS Caddy, and before was a BMW so I have owned and driven a wide variety of cars and in my opinion Genesis is one of the best cars I have ever ridden in or owned, I cant speak for newer models but 2009 is a great car, I own the 6cyl and when it was new I had it on the freeway and after it got to 150 mph I let off cuz I'm a little to old to go faster lol. Look this argument has been around as long a I can remember so if you don't like a car don't buy it, on the other hand try useful comments other than just bad rapping a car. Some ppl hate the color gray but I like it so that's the colour I bought and cars are no different. It's hard to get a better car for the money and I get great service with lifetime free oil changes and all the rest. It's possible to get a "lemon" from any manufacturer and sometimes its the way the car is driven or should I say abused. That's how I see it.
    MIKLO

P.S. I will say the original dunlap tires SUX big time and I had to replace at 17,000 miles, although the dealer did give me a deal on the new ones which they didnt have to do.
  • LASHAWNLASHAWN Member Posts: 303
    I purchased my 2012 V6 Prem/Tech back in December and just love it. Mine is Titanium Silver in color and I get alot of compliments. My only real quibble is why would Hyundai only have the driver seat cooled and not passenger as well. To my knowledge, this is the only car with one cooled seat.
  • sheltonzzsheltonzz Member Posts: 15
    simple! upgrade to the Equus like I did and front seats are cooled and back seats are also heated as well. I have had Lexus, Infiniti and Genesis but the Equus is best.
    YEP I test drove the Equus and it is really a very nice car and better than the Genesis,of course it should be cuz the price is way more,but ya get what ya pay for.I only have 30,000 miles on my 2009 Genesis which I got new so its not even broke in yet lol so I really dont need a new car and I am very happy with my Genesis but if I win the lottery I guess I will buy one,or maybe two lol.
    MIKLO
  • LASHAWNLASHAWN Member Posts: 303
    Only if I hit the lotto man.
    I couldn't agree more as I have never had an issue with my 09 Genesis radio or ANYTHING for that matter ... I'm surely no shill, have owned Volvo's, Audi A6 most recently, BMW 535, etc and I'll take my Genesis over all of them for the total value package. Am now just laying in wait for one of the early Equus to come onto the resale market (low mileage) in a year or two, at which time I will segue from the Genesis ... but only MAYBE. That's how much I like this car ... IMO Hyundai hit a home run in 2009 right out of the chute with this car!