Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Genesis Sedan 2009+

Comments

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891
    Like I said, I was just throwing numbers out there. I didn't state anything was in stone. I asked a question of you, plain and simple.

OBVIOUSLY, if the car comes to the table costing just as much with less performance, than it will fail. So I don't need to ask that question.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• floridabob1floridabob1 Member Posts: 1,190
    RE: 934
    If you are just throwing out numbers, you could use 30 K for a loaded V8 Genesis.
    In my opinion, it doesn't make sense to just guess at a price.
    I believe that a loaded V8 will cost much more than 32K
    I could use $40k.
    ???
    I just don't see how it changes my question.

Again, like I said, if it is CHEAPER than comparably equipped competitors, yet is a bit slower, what is the problem?

I don't need to ask, "hey, what if it costs the same and offers less performance?" because I know the answer to that question.

Ok, tell ya what, I'll edit the question as follows for those impaired by theoreticals:

Would the Genesis really be such a dog if it had 30 less horsepower and could run to 60 in 2 tenths of a second slower than a competitor you are considering, yet, comparably equipped to that competitor, cost $4k less?

How about $3k less?

What about $2k?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Why don't we wait until Hyundai prices the Genesis in the various packages to make the decision if it's a good deal or not.
  • louisweilouiswei Member Posts: 3,715
    at least for the G8 because a loaded V8 GT will cost just $32,895. Here is the pricing sheet:

I know the G8 is more leaning to the performance side versus the Genesis is emphasizing more on the luxury. However, given that they are both RWD, V6 standard / V8 option and in similar price range, there should be little doubt that these two will be cross shopped by the buyers regularly.
  • dborthdborth Member Posts: 474
    re 938: "I know the G8 is more leaning to the performance side versus the Genesis is emphasizing more on the luxury. However, given that they are both RWD, V6 standard / V8 option and in similar price range, there should be little doubt that these two will be cross shopped by the buyers regularly."

"Cross shopped", I doubt it.

I can't imagine the dweebs in Korea were thinking about competeting with a Pontiac of all things when designing Genesis. Their egos where directed toward Germany/Japan. Trouble is, they can't solve the clunk in the Azera, so how are their rope-a-dope US dealers going to sell an upgraded "lux sedan"?
    RE: 939
    You're right in the fact that Hyundai is not thinking about the Pontiac buyer as their competition with the Genesis.
    They are definitely looking for the buyers of the German and Japanese models.
    You are also correct with your comment about their need to deal with problems in a better and more timely manner.
    They are doing a poor job in dealer improvement at all levels, facilities, sales and service.
    I am sure that there are some good dealers out there, but they appear to be few and far between.
    oi vey!

Once again, for the third or fourth time, I am not guessing as to pricing. The original poster this stemmed from (dborth) was claiming that 340hp would be a deal killer for him. I am merely trying to ascertain why that would be the case when, in fact, we don't know any other details or how that will come out in the real world in terms of performance or pricing. I am asking that poster IF. In other words, all I am saying is why make a decision that a lousy few hp kills a car when it MAY perform just as well or MAY be less expensive or MAY ... fill in the blank. Try reading all the posts in order and this may make more sense to you.

re 941. Read my post again gbozen. I said 340 is old news, chasing the well positioned hemi's. I never said a thing about performance. Performance from Hyundai is a given now.

From a marketing standpoint, RWD-V8 is huge for Hyundai. 4-door sedan V8's from Japan & Germany are so far superior to those produced by the big 3 US it is safe to assume Hyundai's will follow suit.

To put it another way, the rumored 380hp will drive more people in to see Genesis that won't bother if product launch HP is another me-too, same as Chrysler and less than Pontiac

Marketing 101 is bigger, faster, more, better. If you can get all that at a value price with the backing and confidence of a leading warranty.....bingo.
    and, as I said, basing opinion on a number like HP is silly. If that is what floats your boat, I suggest looking at a Freightliner.

And you only need to look at other competitions to know the score. Infiniti offers more HP than BMW, yet it doesn't keep folks out of the bimmer showroom. That's just one example. There are many.

• louisweilouiswei Member Posts: 3,715

Source: Inside Line
    re 954. I was actually thinking about investing some of my time to respond to your response. Then I decided, why bother?
    Then I decided, why bother?

up until then, i thought the reason might be "to have an intelligent debate."

i truly am curious why some people feel the need to hang their hats on certain numbers that may not translate into real-world differences. Unfortunately, it seems I will never find out as it always seems to degrade into your comment above.

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    How about we just not degrade at all and stick to talking about vehicles rather than each other? Merci.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    to take it a step further...merci beaucoup. :)

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• rv65rv65 Member Posts: 1,076
    http://www.bobaedream.com/board/data/data_view.php?code=special&No=80851&page=1&- select=&content=&r_no=2&search_gubun=&s_pagescale=&search_day=&Answer=44

Not the Waterfall based grill. Does resemble the genesis and some sketches but hey it's not bad. Getting used to it though.
  • tank13tank13 Member Posts: 8
    wow...these are probably the best pictures of the genesis i've seen to date..at least its not all covered up..i like it..

doesn't the trunk looks a little small?
    Yea but it's the angle. I too like it but it's conservative. The Side panel is also very similar to the concept. It was based on a rough sketch 1 year ago that was leaked. This car also has a plastic square over the emblem. That is for the Collision system or the Adaptive cruise control. This car is going to be called the gensis in Korea. Genesis is probably going to be the name of the USDM version. It looks like Echelon, Talus, Geneva, Toscana, and Zeta are being canned. I could be wrong though. I probably need to see the real pictures in high res. This car could do very well with a luxury brand.
  • neoisleneoisle Member Posts: 9
  • keitha3keitha3 Member Posts: 124
    Admittedly, not the expert like so many here are, but, from the rear, I would have thought it was an Accord on casual glance.

Now, the front is another matter all together. It might take me a bit of time to get used to the grill especially.

In any regard, we'll have to see how it looks first hand. I'm curious as to how the released model will be laid out as far as the interior, as well as, of course, how it handles, performs, and rides.
    That grille probably won't make the US market. The USA version will probably look more like the black korean version.
  • tank13tank13 Member Posts: 8
    i dont see the accord at all..

to me, it looks like a 5 series from the back..and by looking at the picture from the side mirror, the front looks like the new mercedes c-class

looks good
  • akumaakuma Member Posts: 70
    i thought the Genesis was supposed to get a rear-view camera, but i see sensors on the bumper instead. it's either redundant, or quite a step back.
    RE: 960
    I see sensors on front and rear.
    If the navigation system is an option, my guess is that a rear camera is available only with the nav. system.
    I hope that the large black patch with giant "H" logo is not included on the final US Genesis version. Other manufacturers have lazar guided cruise and brake control without showing a huge antenna.
  • acelinkacelink Member Posts: 106

It is a marriage between Benz and Lexus...
    I hope that the marriage doesn't end in a divorce.
  • carbuntcarbunt Member Posts: 40
    floridabob1
    I hope that the marriage doesn't end in a divorce.

LoL! that's a memorable quote!
    I think the Detroit unveiling will be filled with surprises for many of us anticipating this vehicle. By the way, I noticed that even though Hyundai has stated that they do not intend to launch a premium brand, they have not dismissed it for the future. Of course it is predicated with the words 'if'. If Hyundai can establish a beach head in the U.S. and generate sufficient sales for both the BH coupe and sedan.

This is the 'safe' way to play it but is it smart? Maybe. On the one hand, they can cost-effectively launch and market premium vehicles through their existing value brand without the risk or required overhead of a separate premium channel like Genesis. Good for short term but in the long term, if they expect significant growth, they will need to separate these upmarket cars from the herd.

Drive on.
    Thanks for posting the photo.

This must be the new Azera or Korean home market Dynasty. It in no way resembles the supposed Genesis.
    Actually it's going to come here as well wit some changes. Nope it's the BH. The Genesis was a teaser to preview this car. Hyundai I think made it radical to fool us. The US version will be pretty similar to the Korean pics. It will probably have the the grille with the plastic part covering the hyundai emblem.
  • ricwhitericwhite Member Posts: 292

source link

By the way . . . on the front bumper there's a square device and some round sensors. I assume the square device is the adaptive cruise control and the round sensors are for accident avoidance. Is that correct?

Is that a back-up camera on the rear (see circled) or is that something else?

The USDM genesis will get a backup camera when you equip it with the navigation system. So it might be that . Maybe it could be another system. XM NavTraffic is a possibility. Actually it will be on it if you get the navigation system. Also I hear voice recognition will be available. It's based on the upcoming Azera, Santa Fe, and Veracruz but with some tweaks. A knob instead of touch screen plus all those features mentioned.
    The pictures of the Genesis shown indicate sensors mounted on both the front and rear bumpers. I can't detect a rear mounted camera. Are we to assume that this is a car not equipped with a navigation system? If one were to purchase the model with the included navigation system, will it also come with the rear bumper sensors?
    The grill does not have the large "H" emblem with the black colored shield surrounding it. Does this indicate that this model does not have the lazar collision avoidance system?
    Forgeting RWD vs FWD, ignoring a new grill, a V8 option and more HP in the 3.8, this is still an Azera.

You can easily spot the difference between a 7 series and the 5, or the S between the E.

The Korean clowns have done a fairly nice job of knocking off the Infinity M.
  • chilliwackchilliwack Member Posts: 189
    The new Genesis: BOOOORRRIIIINNNGGGGG!!!
  • joe97joe97 Member Posts: 2,248
    http://www.carspyshots.net/zerothread?id=16038&page=61

There are A LOT of photos posted here (links), which seem to be a different version than posted above. Looks good!!

Forgeting RWD vs FWD, ignoring a new grill, a V8 option and more HP in the 3.8, this is still an Azera.

Are you serious? Have you seen the exterior, the interior (check the above link)? The specs, features?
  • derrelhgreenderrelhgreen Member Posts: 234
    Re: # 972

"Forgeting RWD vs FWD, ignoring a new grill, a V8 option
    and more HP in the 3.8, this is still an Azera."

No, it is a Hyundai. It's certainly not an Azera. Can't you see the differences?

Won't you at least wait until your lease is up and you have
    moved on before you start with the negative vibes?

"The Korean Clowns" you say . . . Give the Koreans their due respect please.

What does that make us that drive Azeras and
    think that they are one of the best buys going?
    The exterior, compared to Azera doesn't wow me. Hyundai has had two years to develop something better. One Azera drivers opinion.
  • joe97joe97 Member Posts: 2,248
    It's fine to say it doesn't wow you, certainly you are entitled to your opinion, but to say the Genesis/BH = (bigger) Azera is competely ignorant.

FWIW, this car looks fine to me, it should cater to the market. I've seen several iterations of the exterior/interior, so just waiting until the car (north american spec) debuts to make a better judgment, but so far so good!!
    re 977 I wonder if your choice of the word "ignorant" is within the rather conservative Forum rules here?
  • prosource1prosource1 Member Posts: 234
    Hyundai is obviously using test mules with different fascias and grills to field test the Genesis.
    John Krafcik, of Hyundai US, stated they have changed the fascias and light treatments a number of times. He did say the vehicle, when they displayed the concept in NY that everything from the 'A to C Pillar' was pretty much what you were getting. These vehicles are most likely not what will be marketed. I really like the rear but the front pics, especially the one with no emblem, needs work. I think they should stay very close to what the concept offered. Very dynamic and fresh but seemed to not offend in anyway.
    We'll just have to see when they launch it in Korea in about 2 weeks at their 40th Anniversary Celebration. There is a lot riding on this vehicle and I think Hyundai is really going to nail this one.
    Sadly other cars with that cruise control have the patch. The Acura RL, and a few others.
    link title

Here ya go. Could those spyshots be the USDM version. I somewhat doubt hyundai testing a USDM model in Korea. Maybe they do. Or hyundai just wanted to shed the camo of the korean models and use hyundai emblems instead of genesis. BH is the trim level in the Genesis. It looks like the KDM only 3.3L version. The USDM is of course 3.8L and 4.6L. The autospies ones are the USDM model. The USDM model is probably going to look like the first korean pics. Enjoy!
    Thanks for posting these rv65.
    RE: 980
    I have not noticed the collision avoidance "patch" on a Avalon nor a BMW.