Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura MDX Extended Warranties

tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
Discuss them here!

tidester, host
SUVs and Smart Shopper
Tagged:

Comments

• mdxtachymdxtachy Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone purchased an extended warranty, and if so, what mileage and duration, and price. I am interested in purchasing one (6yr/120K miles), but have seem many different prices. Thanks for your feedback.
  • caterpacaterpa Member Posts: 3
    I purchased one when I bought the car from the dealer.

He wanted an unbelievable 2500 to start :confuse:

I paid 1200 for the 5 year/100k warranty. Glad I did. With all the tech stuff on this vehicle even one repair after 50 k would likely cost 1k plus especially if it was a problem with the SHAWD or the Navi or something.

And the warranty is transferable which should help resale.
  • suvhuntsuvhunt Member Posts: 27
    Hi, wanted to revive some discussion regarding when to get the extended warranty, if ever. Is the same cost to get it any time during the standard warranty period? Is there any advantage whatsoever to get it during the vehicle purchase besides being able to finance it?
  • sbj3sbj3 Member Posts: 1
    Hi-

Just bought an MDX, and am thinking about the extended warranty. I had an American car as my last vehicle, and had LOTS of costly repairs both while the car was under warranty, and after the warranty expired (which was 36,000 miles - the car was a 2001). I am hoping the Acura will not have these kind of problems. However, all of the electrical gadgetry makes me wonder whether I should extend the bumper to bumper from 4 yrs to 7 yrs. I plan on keeping this car until it has 100,000 miles.

Is the warranty something that is price negotiable? Can you get a warranty at a different dealer if it is the Honda Motorcars warranty? Hondacuraworld.com has great deals on the extended warranty, and they said I could use it at any Acura dealer. My dealer said that the full cost of the warranty is refundable if no claims are ever used on it. I did not ask hondacuraworld if they have the same guarantee.

Thanks.
    sbj
  • lttmkd5lttmkd5 Member Posts: 19
    If anyone is interested, hondaacuraworld.com has very reasonable prices on the extended warranties. Just need to have less than 6K miles on the ODO. The dealer I'm buying my MDX from said they can't give it to me ($0 deductible, 100K miles) for the price hondaacuraworld is selling for.
  • clothesguyclothesguy Member Posts: 5
    Hi, Just bought 2007 MDX Tech. The dealer quoted me $2500 for Acura warranty(100,000...8 year), He had another company,,,,Custom Guard II certified car care based in Indianapolis for $1600(8year 120,000). Has anyone heard of this company? did I got get hosed or is this a good deal??
  • jimjackjimjack Member Posts: 43
    appears as though I'm headed for a purchase of an MDX Sport with Sport Running Boards and Roof Rack.
    I was quoted an extended warranty from the dealer @ $2,250,00.
    Did not take it. I found one for 100K miles fro $1,150,00..
    I have a full 60 day time line to refuse it and get a full refund and have 30 days to secure it after I buy the MDX.
  • jimjackjimjack Member Posts: 43
    It's July 1... I did make the purchase of the MDX Sport and a few added accessories.. I will be in contact with the extended warranty co. and I'll be good to go. Also,
    When you are buying the Acura MDX or any other be keenly aware of the intentions of your finance guy to sell you the extended warranty. He may make you feel foolish and inform you that the deal a very good one and it only will be offered on that day.
    What you may choose to consider that is not based on the "that day type purchase" is the maintenance agreement.
    It will cost you some money to maintain your new car thru 55K mi. Do the bathe and look on the KBB site where you can determine the cost of you car over a 5 year period. The contract that will offer is about $1300.00. Do you math and consider it.
  • inthemarket3inthemarket3 Member Posts: 8
    I purchased an '07 MDX Tech on Saturday. The dealer offered an extended warranty of 7 years/100,000 miles, up from factory warranty of 4/50,000. The cost was ~$2,200. The dealer noted that if a claim was never made against the extended warranty, my money would be refunded in full. What are people's thoughts on the warranty as purchased from dealer and on the money-back option?
  • parker4551parker4551 Member Posts: 58
    same warranty offered to me with the purchase of my MDX this past week, $1785. He is a little high.
  • sjk3sjk3 Member Posts: 9
    Jimjack,
    could you please let me know where you bought the extended warranty for and how to search for the best offers, also am considering to buy mdx in a week to 10 days, but am confused whether to get a tech or sport,whats the main advantages of the sport package (not the leather seats and the wheel)..I mean whats the advantage of this suspension system and the button to switch from comfort to sport..
  • dms9dms9 Member Posts: 137
    You MUST buy the sport. It's not an option. The Sport has a few features that are great, autoleveling headlights, nicer seats, etc. all of which are largely irrelevant. If you are going to pay for the NAV system anyhow, buy the sport, the difference in cost is not that great.

Its all about the suspension. The sport has a magnetic suspension which are iron pieces in the shocks that they run current through to make them stiffer or softer. It's done multiple times a second. So, if you slam on the brakes, most cars will nose dive pretty hard. Not the sport. It automatically stiffens the front shocks and pushes the nose back up so you stay level. Go around a corner hard, it stiffens the outside shocks you stay nice and level. Coupled with the SH-AWD which powers the wheels independently, it is an amazing system. I know that Cadillac has it, but it is a very expensive option. I believe Ferrari has it, but I could be wrong.

I have the Sport and often drive it in the comfort setting because it is smoother, but even still, it works great. When I test drove them, I thought the regular was a little cushy. If I didn't want the NAV, then the price difference is very large. But, if you buy the NAV anyhow, it really comes out pretty close.

Good luck.
  • sjk3sjk3 Member Posts: 9
    thanks for your reply Jim, also could you let me know where you bought the extended warranty from?am looking to buy mdx sport in couple of weeks.
    Hondaacuraworld has good prices, so does BernardiWarranty.com.
  • upstatedocupstatedoc Member Posts: 710
    Have an '07 MDX w/7500 miles now. Looked on hondacuraworld.com and it seems like the longest warranty I can get is 72 months 102k miles for $1110. So... I'm paying $1100 for two more years and 50k miles of warranty coverage. Is that a good deal?
  • scuba01scuba01 Member Posts: 29
    Has anybody purchased the extended warranty from this company. Can you confirm it is the same exact warranty through Acura.
    I bought mine through Bernardiwarranty.com, which was about 100 less than hondaaccuraworld. The people at Bernardi were very nice and responsive when I emailed questions. They have assured me it is the warranty through Honda and is exactly the same as all the dealers sell. I have not received the card yet, I will let everyone know if it isn't true. The receipt indicated it was purchased from Honda. It should be legitimate. There is so much markup on these warranties, who knows what the accurate cost really is. I had a Honda Pilot, the warranty was 1/2 the cost. Go figure, the MDX is nicer, but basically the same mechanical vehicle. Certainly, the Acura doesn't pose twice the risk of breaking down to justify twice the cost.
  • grandzugrandzu Member Posts: 26
    I also bought from Bernadi only because they had a no interest payment plan plus the price was less.
    I received all the paperwork from them and Acura and be assured it is an actual AcuraCare warranty.
    Thank you for the info. Hondaacuraworld.com actually has much better prices
    2008 MDX

Bernardi: $0 deductabale
    7/100 $1,560
    7/120 $1,810
    8/100 $1,760
    8/120 $2,010
    Hondacuraworld: $0 deductable
    7/100 $960
    7/120 $1,210
    8/100 $1,160
    8/120 $1,410
  • human321human321 Member Posts: 10
    Hey Scuba,

The HondaAcuraWorld prices that you quoted above have a base price of $700.00 that you need to add to get the true total.
    They are a great place to deal with, but they are slightly more expensive on this item than Bernardi
    WOW!
    Overlooked the + $700.
    Thanks for the update.
  • ronyrronyr Member Posts: 4
    I bought my 07 MDX sport yesterday(12/06) at Hopkins Acura In Fairfield CA after talking to several dealers in the bay area. Finalized the price over the phone of $40500+TTL. I got roof rails side molding, sports runners, cargo mat, cargo cover and wheel locks. The dealership has offered me an extended warranty of 6 years 100k for $1685 with a full refund - $50 if I dont use it in next 6 years/100k. What is your take on it. Shall I take it or it is not worth the money. Also please suggest if I can get the extended warranty from ACURA. Thanks for your suggestions.
  • ronyrronyr Member Posts: 4
    Can I buy extended warranty online. I am in california and I read somewhere that you cant buy one if you are residing in California and you have to buy it from dealer.

Can anyone tell me if I can buy the warranty from the websites mentioned here like bernardi and honda acura world. I checked there websites but I am not sure. Your help is appreciated
  • human321human321 Member Posts: 10
    I know this to be the case in Florida, but not sure about Cali. Call Tim at Honda Acura World. He is very helpful and can answer all your questions. His customer service made me decide to buy from him just recently.
    I just bought from Bernardi Warranty, 8 yrs / 100,000 miles, $1760 and they spread the payments over a year, no interest. Very easy to pay for. I got the booklet. I don't know what I would have received from the dealer, but they were way more money. This is an Acura Care warranty, the only difference is that the dealer name is Bernardi rather than my dealer. Honda Acura World is very good, but Bernardi was a few dollars cheaper and more importantly, I could pay for it over time. Buy online.
  • un_sidiqun_sidiq Member Posts: 31
    I bought a extended warranty from the dealership i bought the MDX from for $1310(7year/100k), i was wondering though if and when i take it for regular maintainence and the dealer asks me to do a few extra things than required and i don't, would that void the warranty ?, if i take it for oil change at 7000 miles and they ask me to replace the differential fluid or transmission oil too and i dont' would that void the warranty, not sure if anyone had any experience yet ?
    Thanks
  • smoss1smoss1 Member Posts: 8
    I called both hondaacuraworld and bernardi. both said that you don't have to buy in CA. Both companies were very responsive.
  • aja3aja3 Member Posts: 4
    I have bought 2004 MDX Premium with 44K last week (not from Acura dealership) and it has 2 more months of factory warranty remaining. Can anyone help me: should I buy extended warranty and if yes than which are good companies to buy. Are these companies reliable to pay for the defects. Thanks!!!
  • teeitup2teeitup2 Member Posts: 6
    I am looking at extended Warranty on new 08. It was my understanding that you had to sign up in first 6000. Would be interested in any feedback that you get on extended warranty when vehicle is higher milage. It would make sense to wait if one could get warranty at end of regular warranty period.
  • ballaballa Member Posts: 5
    How long do you plan on keeping your car? If you are going to keep your car past 100k, I would recommend that you get one. The best one you can get is Acura Care. It will cover all of the same things as the original factory warranty that came with the car, including road side assistance. The cost on it is minimal compared to the potential cost of repairs. I know it has helped me out plenty of times.
  • mdx2008mdx2008 Member Posts: 13
    I just bought a warranty for my 2008 MDX from Bernardi. I received it this past week in the mail from Acura Care. The price was great, anyone would be foolish to buy one from their dealership with this available.

http://www.bernardiwarranty.com/Departments/Acura-Care/MDX/New-MDX-Personal.aspx-

the price went up $100 dollars since JAN when I bought it still a great deal
    Thx balla!!! With your past experience do you suggest I should go for Bernardi warranty and they will cover as they mention in their contract. Do we have to take care anything additional other than the regular oil changes and scheduled maintenances. thx,
    I bought at Bernardi also. The price was great, but more importantly, you can pay for it over a year for only $25 more, or so. Now, can someone explain to me why the Honda Pilot warranty is 1/2 the cost for a vehicle that is 90% the same?? Marketing is a mighty profitable thing . . .
    Thx dms9, quick question are they reliable enough so buy warranty from them and have peace of mind for the next 4 years!
    Yes, it is an Acura warranty. The same one you buy from your dealer. Once you buy it, you never have to deal with them again. You get all the warranty information from Acura (American Honda) directly.
  • mmedicmmedic Member Posts: 15
    Looks like so many different warranties out there at a significant cost difference. Are all these warranties the same in terms of coverage, deductible, etc.?
  • teeitup2teeitup2 Member Posts: 6
    What types of problems are most common to develop during extended warranty periods. Am thinking about purchase, but see little information about typical failures on newer MDX's. Any responses are appreciated.
    That is what the extended warranty is for. The unknown and security of having the car covered past the regular warranty. I just purchased the Bernardi warranty.
    Their website says prices are possibly going up in April.
    received the new warranty information today straight from Acura Care.
    Purchased through Bernardi Warranty.com ($1,749.06 8 yr $120,000)
    Much better deal than going through my local dealer. They would not match the price.
    This is on their website:
    NOTICE
    BernardiWarranty.com has learned that Honda may, as of April 1, 2008, prevent us from offering Honda Warranties at ‘rock-bottom’ pricing through the economies of internet marketing. To take advantage of Bernardi's low internet prices we urge you to purchase before this deadline!
  • upstatedocupstatedoc Member Posts: 710
    scuba,

Help me out here, I called Bernardi regarding an extended warranty on our '07 MDX. It has 18000 miles on it. Their longest warranty w/ $100 deductable is 60 months/84k miles. The way I understand it is those numbers get tacked on to the current numbers 19 months and 18000 miles = 79 months and 102000 miles of total coverage. Does that sound right?
  • sdkarsdkar Member Posts: 4
    What if I just bought a new 08 acura with an extended warranty and I found a better deal online. I just bought it about 36 hours ago. Can I cancel my local dealer warranty and get one from Bernardi or anywhere else?
    Cal your local dealer about a cancel policy. There should be some time to get out of the warranty.
  • pilotsearcherpilotsearcher Member Posts: 15
    Just bought a 05 MDX w/Navi and purchased the 7 yr/100k mile warranty.

We have one on our 2004 Accord also. Twice a year (before winter, after winter) I take the car in and say something sounds funny from the transmission, or the engine, or the wheels. It is a used car, and they always find something to fix that doesn't cost me money. I was actually recommended this VERY SAME THING by the Acura dealer I just bought the MDX from.

The warranty doesnt cost the dealers money to fix the car. Just take your vehicles in and ask them to check it out. They will usually find something.

That is my reason for buying the warranties. Is this wrong to do?
  • cromwellsquarecromwellsquare Member Posts: 7
    I am going to be buying a certified 08 mdx with 19000 miles on it. It will come with the rest of the 4 year 50000 mile coverage plus they throw in an extra year. If i buy one from Bernardi for 6 years 72000 miles does it kick in after my original expires or does it just make it 6 years from the original in service date? Any help would be great and i will call Bernardi tomorrow too.
    Thanks
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I don't know anything about Bernardi, but with the way the economy is, I think I'd wait until closer to when the Acura warranty runs out before buying an extended warranty.

Check out the Extended Warranties discussion too.
  • cargirljenncargirljenn Member Posts: 1
    Well if you had bought from an Acura dealer you could have had the Certified 100k mile warranty like I got on mine bumper to bumper. I wouldn't buy any extended warranty except from Acura with so many companies going out of business nowadays. I use to work in the service department for processing warranty claims at Toyota and Honda and their were so many that gave me trouble and wouldnt pay. Pay the money, which is actually cheap for a highline car compared to like Ford ~ and go with Acura Care
  • 10sfan10sfan Member Posts: 136
    What is the cost for the 100K mile warranty and the cut off term in years?
  • mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,224
    I'd call Bernardi to verify.

If you buy a used vehicle warranty, it is from the date of purchase and adds miles to current (48 month/ 48,000 mile warranty). I bought one of these from hondacuraworld.com when my 05 mdx had 49000 miles on it.
  • mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,224
    this is a 7 yr from original in service date warranty, I believe. Check pricing on Bernardi warranty.
  • jyao888jyao888 Member Posts: 32
    Hi Cargirljenn,
    Do you know what are the difference to purchase warranty from Acura dealer and Bernardi which all other people refer to? I purchased from dealer and found price way higher than Bernardi and thinking about to cancel it. Also, Do you know the full reimbursement guarantee if you don't have any claim during the extended warranty period. This is what my dealer to got me and sale to me for so call "win-win". Please help...will call to cancel if no hurt to buy warrant to close to warranty period end.