Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chrysler Pacifica Oil Problems

1235»

Comments

• Options
    jgafirejgafire Member Posts: 1
    Hi. Ive been having the same problem with my 2007, and would like to know of any updates you have on this issue.
  • Options
    flexinnovateflexinnovate Member Posts: 1
    I worked on a 2006 Pacifica that had the Evap Leak, Fuel Leak CEL's and was able to fix the CEL permanently.

I located the leak by smelling where the fuel smell was coming from. I just fan the air around the tank and smell for fuel vapors on a hot car. I found this to be the leak after I inspected just about every hose, fuel system part, and connection in the engine bay. If a mechanic is clueless after checking all the engine bay stuff they might do a leak detection test with a fancy smoke machine.

The Dealer is about right on the $700 price tag. this particular model has issues with the design of the fuel tank pump unit that is mounted on top of the fuel tank. There is a small white plastic elbow nipple on top of the jet pump assembly. This elbow is put under stress and eventually cracks causing check engine lights. You will clearly see the stress caused by a rubber hose designed to be too short. Add to that some flexing of the fuel tank while driving and you've got yourself a recipe for a cracked plastic elbow bend.

In order to access this area you need to remove the fuel tank which isn't an easy task for most DIYers though it can be done.

To remove the fuel tank you need to first remove the exhaust which is pretty straight forward though the unit is one piece and long and heavy. Both the exhaust and tank will be easier to move and handle with proper supports or a helper. There are only two brackets and like 4 bolts holding the tank in place, then there are a few connections and hoses. Even with the vehicle off, there was fuel in the fuel lines so have a container available to catch the fuel that comes out of the fuel line when you disconnect it.

For a generic brand replacement part for the jet pump installed in the top of the fuel tank you can pay around $150. You can't just buy the plastic elbow because it's cast into the entire pump assembly. I know that the dealer might put in an OEM unit and it could be double that or more for parts. I would not suggest plastic welding or jerry rigging to fix the crack.

So that's $300 minimum for parts.

Then add an hour for their diagnostics, and another 2 hours to remove and replace the fuel tank and install filter. If they charge you over $100 an hour in labor then it can add up to $700 fairly easy.

You should get a much better deal at a private mechanic, especially if you point out to them what the problem is so they don't spin their wheels trying to diagnose where the leak is.

The DIY cost would be around $150-$200 depending on the part you buy.

Most mechanics will give you a new gas cap first because that will cause the same issues as the leak nipple on top of the fuel tank.
  • Options
    crickelscrickels Member Posts: 4
    That's exactly what my mechanic told me. He fixed it for $600. Haven't has 1 problem since then. It was a cracked nipple in the fuel pump module. They diagnosed it within an hour and I had it back the next day because they had to order the part.

I haven't had near the problems that others have had. I have a abs monitor light on. But my mechanic already told me that it's a bad sensor that he can fix for fairly cheap.

Good luck!
  • Options
    bassetbossbassetboss Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 Nitro 4.0 R/T with a little over 50,000 miles and am experiencing the same problem with using about a quart and a half between oil changes. From what I have researched it seems to be a common problem with this particular engine. It sounds like Chrysler is giving people the run around about fixing the problem which tells me they are trying to cover something up. I haven't took mine to the dealer yet and I do have the lifetime powertrain warranty so I am interested in what kind off B.S. explanation they will give me.
  • Options
    jflake10jflake10 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 Pacifica 3.8 FWD with 104350 miles. This was my sales car in 2008 [New] and when I retired in 2010 I purchased it for a great price. I have changed the oil/service at 5000 miles [company policy] until I purchased then stated every 3000 miles. I have used high mileage oil since 80000 [moved to AL]. Made a long trip to CO then with no excessive oil use. At 90000 at every oil change the service man would tell me it was low one quart. At 100000 it was burning 1 1/2 quarts every 700-800 miles, I have been adding the extra. I have changed out the Evap filter, the PVC valve with no change.
    No transmission issues [had one service where they filtered the fluid] @70000.
    Have replaced 3 motor mounts [two rear,one front left].
    Big issue is the oil loss.
    I hope to find out the solution to the oil burning. Just put in a quart of Lucas Oil Stabilizer. Not sure that will help but several others suggested I try this idea.
    I want to drive the car until 150000 and the cost of the oil is minor [now that I know the issue] Thanks for suggestions. :D
  • Options
    faroutfarout Member Posts: 1,609
    The 3.8 has been a strong push rod engine. This engine has a timing chain so no need to worry about that. The 1 qt every 1,400 60 1,600 is still in factory specs. So just drive it and check the oil more often tomake sure it's full. I doubt using high mileage oil is worth it or even needs it.

My advice is drive it and enjoy it.
  • Options
    djarcherwdjarcherw Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 Pac with 109K and it has used a bout a quart every 1000 mi. But, big deal. Other than both rear wheel bearings(that is a vendor issue since resolved) brakes and tires, my Pac will be with me for a long while. I have not found anything out there yet for the price, quality and ride that mine has. And the only option on this one is the wheel package. It has has never let me down, and done everything I've asked of it. I haul a double snowmobile trailer all winter, and have never had an issue. I traded an identical 2005 Pac for this one to get the unlimited warranty and got better gas milage and greaseable ball joints for the exchange. Just sayin, these are great vehicles and wish they were still being made.