Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura RL - would you purchase it again?

ross16ross16 Member Posts: 5
I am going to get a new car in July. I have been doing my homework on the RL, M35, A6, E550. Everyone writes in their complaints regarding their vehicle but rarely writes about the good things. I seem to prefer the RL above all the others. Just wanted to know from fellow RL owners...Would you purchase an RL again?

Comments

• jwacura3jwacura3 Member Posts: 6
    I bought an 06 RL with Tech Package (CMBS/PAX) in January 2006. My car has been trouble-free and I've been very pleased with the entire experience. I would definitely purchase it again.
  • pghacura1pghacura1 Member Posts: 5
    Bought my 2006 RL in December, would definately buy again.
    My wife has a G35 Coupe, the RL will out handle it, and hold 5 people, a BMW or Audi Or Mercedes will cost $15,000 or more than the RL equiped the same. This is my fouth Acura the first was a 1986 Integra, traded for a 1992 Legend that I still have, had a 2002 TL type S which I traded for the RL, the RL is a better quality build than the TL, sorry Ohio but the japanese factory that builds the RL is one of Honda's best factories.
  • carfan28carfan28 Member Posts: 43
    I have the '07 RL with Technology package. Great car and would purcahse another one in a heart beat.
  • cstilescstiles Member Posts: 465
    We have an '05 RL with 26K miles on it. We paid $6500 below MSRP, so got a pretty good deal. It's 80% driven by my wife and she loves it. It's been reliable and trouble free. Personally, I wish the car had a bit more power and more room in the backseat. I'm 6'3" and you wouldn't want to sit behind me. The VTEC engine is smooth but does not feel like 300HP. The 5-speed transmission could also be better programmed for spirited driving. If you drive the car gently it's fine but the shift points are not tuned for performance. The interior is nice (especially up front) and the features are first rate. Tires are just okay. Not sure if you want to go with PAX. For $40 to 42K, I think the car is a great value and we would do it again. It's just not that exciting for me to drive, since it is more of a luxury mid-size tourer rather than a true sports sedan. The car also handles well in the snow. Not quite as sure-footed as my Audi Quattro, but it's pretty close. Overall you get good Honda engineering and reliability, clean exterior styling, wrapped in a fairly luxurious package. If you can find yourself a good deal (at least $5000 off sticker), I'd seriously consider the RL. Good luck.
  • dano4dano4 Member Posts: 35
    I owned a 2005 Acura RL and now have a 2007 Infiniti M35x. Both are very good cars and both have pluses and minuses.
    The RL annoyances:
    --Looks like an Accord
    --Technology overkill
    --Cramped rear seat and tight trunk
    --Grossly excessive "lawyer warnings" in the NAV system and too many other warnings that have to be deleted.
    --Excessive recalls on the 2005 models.

The M annoyances:
    --Mediocre gas mileage
    --Needs enhancements to NAV system
    --More road and engine noise than the RL

I would urge you to drive them both and see which fits your needs and driving style. While they are both in the same class, they are somewhat different cars in feel and personality. My major reason for buying the M is personal comfort. I am 6'3" and the car just fits me better. It also has much more of a performance feel than the RL.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    You know, people say that the RL looks like an Accord, but I really don't see it. Maybe that just makes me wrong. :P I don't see very many, but when I do they always make me look and say to myself what is that? If it looked like an Accord to me, I wouldn't get there.

I do think that the look is subdued and maybe a little too pay-no-attention-to-me-ish. But that might be attractive to some - honestly, I can see it being attractive to me. :blush:

I just don't think of an Accord when I see one. JMHO, of course.
  • garnetgarnet Member Posts: 7
    "Personal comfort" for driver, perhaps, but front-seat passenger (usely an endearing mate) is dis-comforted with thigh-less seats on a tiring, seemingly endless trip; which, apparently hasn't been addressed even in '07. "Personal comfort" with "more engine noise" an annoying dis-comfort for driver and passengers front and back. As for Accord look- alike, that's a judgement call of many opinions. Face it, NOT buying an all-wheel-drive RL for a far-less discounted price, gives one "personal comfort" overload to the extreme. Yeah, RL!
    I think this a very objective ad fair post. I bought the RL because I happened to like it more. I love the technology and others may think it's "overkill". The quiet cabin is a huge plus for me- I don't like the noisy ride that the M has. The M is more an enthusiasts car- the RL is more refined.

Price: the RL can be bought for about $6-7K less than the M.

M has much better lease rates.
  • acuratacurat Member Posts: 87
    In a New York minute.

The RL should actually be known as the 4th generation Acura Legend--it's called the Honda Legend in Japan and most of the world. It would sell a lot better with the proper moniker.

I bought a 2006 RL Tech (CMBS/PAX) in December 2006 for $11,500 off list price. I traded up from a US-built 2004 TL which was sweet but squeaky, not to mention a little cramped for my 6'1" frame.

My wife calls the RL a "grown-up car." It's that and much more. The styling is elegant and understated. The refined driving experience and thoughtfully designed creature comforts really take time to seduce you.

The RL may not be quite as peppy and tossable as the TL, yet the serene cabin makes me less concerned about dueling with other drivers. When you stomp on it and the VTEC kicks in, this big dog can haul. SH-AWD makes the car go precisely where you point it. NavTraffic is essential in Los Angeles. The ACC/CMBS system is an unexpected delight and occasional lifesaver. The 18" PAX tires handle more crisply than the stock 17s, though having the CMBS trim means you give up the option to upgrade to A-Spec suspension, body kit, tires and wheels--something to consider if you really like the excitement of the M. Oh, and the tranny learns from your driving style so if you like higher shiftpoints, just push it harder.

I rarely see another RL but when I do, I find myself thinking, "Wow! What's that!?" Then realizing, "Duh, that's MY car!"

I have tried very hard to like the styling of the Infiniti M since Consumer Reports lavished so much praise, but to me it looks exactly like a bloated G35 with blingier taillights. I never considered BMW as I find the 5-series to be ubiquitous, unbearably ugly and grossly overpriced for a car that comes with vinyl seats. Never even thought about Mercedes (Chrysler quality), Audi (nice Volkswagen, not too reliable) or Lexus (overpriced Toyota with a floaty ride). Opinionated enough for ya? :blush:

So yeah, I'm delighted with the RL/Legend and would do it all over again. Acura really needs to market this car--it seems only the thoughtful and analytical types (like us) are attracted to it. :shades:
    I'm okay with being part of a relatively small group of people that own of this great car.

I bought the '07 recently and love the car.
  • gcookgcook Member Posts: 33
    I would do it again, so far. I have had the car an 07 rl cmbs/pas for 1 month, and it is pretty cool. I had an 03 cls and 05 TL and this one has so much more, and I love the everything in it. Even if you think it looks like an accord, which may be true from certain angles, but not the front or the rear, it is far superior to an accord or other acura I have had. You can't go wrong with the price vs all of the included options. If you order the same options on any other car, like as an Infinit M35 or 5 bmw, you will see the price skyrocket. It definitely isn't cheap, but it isn't overprice either.
    I agree with everythng you said.
    The wife and I blasted down to Nashville and back (900 miles) this past weekend and I was reminded about how good this car can be. The RL is rock solid stable at 85-90 mph, secure in handling, and very quiet. We made amazing time and I just felt good driving it after nearly 6 hours. Got 25 mpg, which is decent given the indecent speeds we hit. I am hard pressed to find a better value in the $40K to $45K range. The styling is understated, for sure, but I feel it will age well and still look classy in a decade. The interior is unique and of high quality, and once you get used to the ergonomics and technology, the car is very easy to live with. Our's has been trouble free and mechanically sound as we approach 30K miles and 3 yrs of ownership. For us, the car is a keeper.
  • nebraskaguynebraskaguy Member Posts: 341
    You know, people say that the RL looks like an Accord, but I really don't see it. Maybe that just makes me wrong. I don't see very many, but when I do they always make me look and say to myself what is that? If it looked like an Accord to me, I wouldn't get there.

I agree. As I'm driving, I've never made the mistake of confusing one for the other. There are similarities, but that's as far as it goes, in my opinion.
  • nebraskaguynebraskaguy Member Posts: 341
    Absolutely!! I've never for one moment regretted my decision to purchase my 2005 RL. Sure, there have been a couple of problems, but nothing major, and nothing that has changed my opinion. It's still a dream to drive and it always turns my head when I see another one on the road.

Depending on what the 2008 RL offers and the price, I may buy one this fall when it comes out.
  • veritas7veritas7 Member Posts: 18
    I purchased my 2007 RL Tech on April 26th and headed to N'ville that weekend, too. I absolutely love it! I looked hard and heavy at the M35 with Journey and Tech for about two months but the minute I drove the RL, I knew it was the one. I drove the A6 as well and concluded that you simply can't beat the features on the RL for $$. I will love this car for years to come.
    Congratulations! Enjoy the car. Were you there for the Country Music marathon/half marathon in Nashville per chance? It was one of the best races I've entered in a long time! Ready to do it again next year.
    Yes! I ran the CMM. It was my first one. I live in MS and was told that N'ville is very hilly. That's true but the hills were not as bad as I thought they would be. And, with 32,000 people, I was so psyched that I didn't even think about them. Did you do the full or the half?
    I did the half. Since I live in IL, this course was more hilly than I am used to, but we all had a blast and really enjoyed everything about the weekend. May do the full marathon next year, assuming I'm not so hung over from Tootsie's Orchid Lounge, Legends, The Stage, and Wild Horse! We partied a little too hard =) And driving to and from Nashville in our RL was almost as fun!! Best regards.
    I was too scared to go out the night before but we did have a blast after! Of course by then I was too sore to really enjoy things. What kind of gas mileage did you get on the highway?
  • billyperks1billyperks1 Member Posts: 151
    Did anyone shop this car with the Lexus GS350?
    I did. I like the Lexus GS350 and you'll see some remarks by me and others. Lexus service can't be beat. It's an attractive car and built quite well.

Negatives of GS350: Very small driver's seat area- I felt claustrophobic and I'm only 5'11" and weigh less than 190#. The cabin was very noisy while driving. The trunk is teeny tiny. Apples to apples with features it costs $10K moe than the RL.
    We drove a little fast, I admit, but averaged 25~26 mpg on our trip. Typical average for us is 19-21 mpg with mix of driving (mostly in town). We missed the post race concert but heard that was a good time.
  • billyperks1billyperks1 Member Posts: 151
    I tested both and I liked the Acura a lot mainly because it felt more stable on the road and it has 245 tires instead of the 225 on the Lexus.I am actually going to wait until next Spring to see what the next generation TL has to offer.If its as mediocre has the current car - I think I will go for the Lexus or the RL.
  • michael0137michael0137 Member Posts: 58
    edited April 2011
    Test drove an M and thought its ride and handling crude. Rode like a truck and handling nowhere near the RL. Automobile magazine seems to bear me out - tested TL with SH-AWD against an S4 on the track - the TL was only .4 of a second slower than the S4!!! All because of its handling. Take the RL any day. We bought a used 2008 RL with 18K on it to replace our 2008 EXL V6 Accord, and it is fantastic. I am going to get a speeding ticket for sure if I do not use cruise or move to Texas - recent trip found me cruising at 90 very comfortably - in relative silence and with the 5.1 Bose cranking out Beethoven's Ninth!
  • rmdallasrmdallas Member Posts: 1
    Sure. Currently driving an '05 RL, with 116k mi, not too many compelling new models of interest on the market, so we spent $5k on lots of repairs last year. May drive another 100k until something interesting comes along. Figure total cost of ownership is still reasonable compared to trading on another vehicle and net $30k of new spend will buy a lot more repairs.
  • jensadjensad Member Posts: 388
    I also own an 08 rl and I also love the vehicle. We have driven across the country and back, and now we have 63k and (knock on wood) no problems yet. Just got the oil n filter changed and so far very cheap to own and operate.

Wife has an 2010 MDX and it will be our new cross country car as I hope it too does what I expected an acura to do. We have about 15 k on the mdx and we added a 100k service contract as my wife wanted it that way.

I have owned 5 Acuras since the late 1980s and the first two were very poor however, when we came back to Acura several years ago, after owning one Lexus, and then several Hondas, we will continue to stick with the Honda/Acura labels.

Good luck to all and stay safe.

jensad
  • humanjoneshumanjones Member Posts: 3
    I just bought an 05 RL with 85K miles. Started with an 86 Legend in 1991, followed by a 92 Legend in 1997 that lasted until 2010. Bought an 00 TL that I drove for a month before determining it was a completely different animal. sold it and bought an 02 RL. It felt pretty much like my 92 Legend, but 10 years newer. I have wanted the newer model and traded my 02 (w/ 76K miles) and $8K for the 05. What a difference in the generations!

I also don't recognize these cars when I see them on the road...

Since I'm in Phoenix, I will need to do a timing belt pronto.

My wife drives an 04 MDX, the only new auto I have ever bought.
    Isn't it nice to be able to knock on wood in the car!! LOL! We have had an '88 Legend (totaled in wreck involving black ice - wife and children not a scratch and no airbags), another '88 LS with airbags for our son that we bought used at 96K - he drove it to 170,00 and sold it, a one owner '90L for our other son with 122K - we drove it to 180K and it ran like a top, had a '94 Legend L 6 Speed Coupe with Type II engine - awesome. My younger son bought a one owner 2005 RL in Virginia in January 2010 with 28K on it and his experiences caused me to buy our 2008 RL last year with 18K for $25K with extended warranty. So far - LOVE IT. Can't wait to see the new one at the NY auto show. Enjoy - safe driving.
    edited January 2012
    My son loved his 1990 Legend L - his 2005 RL is like a BETTER reincarnation. Calls it "Sophia" after Sophia on Golden Girls because she had an attitude. Weird to describe, but the car drives with an attitude. Plenty of power - stable - and the SH- AWD is phenomenal. When I saw him drive uphill on glare ice into a parking space that FWD cars were spinning their wheels to get into!?? Completely sold me here in NY where the roads can sometimes be treacherous. Love our 2008 - just wish the interior were black - will replace the taupe floormats - they get dirty looking at them! Just one question - does ANYONE know why the 2008 RL does not have the littel fin on the roof for GPS and XM? I have the Tech Pkg and navigation but notice that ONLY 2008 did not have it.
    Hello. I do not have an answer to your roof fin question, but I do have a question about your taupe floormats. I have been searching high and low for taupe mats for my 05 and can only find gray, which doesn't match. I would be interested in buying yours. There's a different kind of "dirt" in Phoenix and I think it would work. Thanks for considering. I can be reached at humanjones@aol.com.
  • prprt33prprt33 Member Posts: 9
    I have a 2005 Acura TL with 154k miles on it and I bought new floor mats at Acura of Tempe at about 100k miles. I noticed they sold RL floor mats for really any year so you may want to give them a call as they have a nice selection. My car is black with parchment interior and yes, the floor mats get dirty quick here in Phoenix.
    Thank you. I'll check Tempe Acura. I did find some mats that I thought would match, but they look overly tan against the taupe. Only other color is gray, which leads me to believe there were no mats made that match the original carpet.
  • tjazz1tjazz1 Member Posts: 2
    I would, and I have. I just traded in my 2006 RL with 105K for a new 2012 RL Tech, in black/black. Yes, I know it's about to be replaced, and I hear all the autophiles complain about it being boring, dated, behind in its class, etc. But I love the car for several reasons. First, it is has great lines--the 2011 refresh was significant (no more bagel beak), and while you can tell it is a Honda Motors product, it is NOT a fancy Accord, like a Lexus ES is to a Camry (I owned both). Second, the thing is still an engineering marvel with the VTEC engine and SH-AWD. It's the most balanced performance sedan I've owned. And the updated Sport mode with paddle shifters is still beyond the competition. Third, as much as we all can lust over the German alternatives, their reliability still isn't there, and the Mercedes, Audi, or BMW equivalents would set you back an additional 8-20K for similar features. Also, black E's, A6's, and 5's are a dime a dozen, while my new RL is a rare sighting in my small upstate NY city. Believe me, it turns heads, and draws compliments. I'll bet the new RLX will be super, but for the $46,500 I paid for my brand new RL Tech, I am quite satisfied.
  • tizertizer Member Posts: 23
    Absolutely. I have a 2006 RL with 90,000 reliable miles and no unexpected out of warranty repairs or issues. I usually replace my car about now but because of the level of satisfaction with the RL I plan to keep it a couple more years at least. I sold my previous Mercedes at 93,000 miles as it was going wong every which way. Eventually I will most likely get the the new RLX Hybrid but can wait for the Fanfare to settle down-along with the price while I bet my 06 RL will last another 40,000 plus miles with only routine maintenance.
  • tjazz1tjazz1 Member Posts: 2
    Great to hear. One of the tipping points for my move to a new model was the perfect storm of timing belt, brakes, heat shield, tires, and a few rust spots all needing attention at once--better to roll that $3k+ into a new one. Good luck.
    edited April 2012
    Got my taupe mats with the car - came from Chapman Acura in Tucson, AZ. They put new ones in it when I bought the car. You should be able to get them from Acura. Sorry - hadn't visited this site in awhile