Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Sonata Front Suspension "Thunk"

Comments

• vinngvinng Member Posts: 12
    just type in New York State Lemon Law on your browser and you will see a number of web sites for a lemon law lawyer. You will see listed NY Lemon Law-free help tel: 1 866-86LEMON or New York Lemon Law 877-50-LEMON. Good Luck
    Let me answer you first by saying I am a 69 year old man who has driven cars and trucks for over 50 years. I consider myself an experienced driver with fairly good sense of what a new car should feel like. Not only does the 2009 Sonata make excessive noises front and rear, the jarring effect when hiting a crack or a small pot hole is is unbelieveable. May I say, in my opinion that that 09 Sonata as is should not be driven until the problem is solved by Hyundai. THIS CAR IS NOT ROAD WORTHY. Sorry I have to disagree with you.
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    Just my .02. We own an 09 Sonata Ltd 4cyl , my wife's daily drive since this past summer, and have none of the problems you ascribe as being systemic to all Sonatas. Ours rides well, is quiet and solid. And we live in possibly the worst area in the country for roads here in south-central PA. Maybe we got lucky and got a good one or maybe you just got one of the bad apples. It happens. Oh, and before you say I don't know what I am talking about, I am not that far behind you in years (mid 50's) and used to work in the auto parts and service industry and have driven many, many cars and trucks in my lifetime. I think that at least gives me a substantial baseline of experience to draw my conclusions/impressions from. ;)
  • lenstanglenstang Member Posts: 68
    I think everyone here knows what they are talking about. Like I have said it seem to me that it's not all the 2009 Sonatas. But the people who have the cars with the problems are very unhappy with the noise and jarring you get when going over bumps you can hardly see. I'm in my mid 50's and a car buff. This Sonata makes more noise than my 1967 Mustang.
    What is Town Hall?
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    I have no doubt that everyone here knows what they are talking about. The problem I am having in this discussion is the propensity of some to take anecdotal evidence of specific problems and try to apply that to condemn the whole. It just can't be done. If one person can say that because their Sonata makes noise all will, I could say since mine doesn't all should be quiet.

I have no doubt that some are having some problems. We just need to realize that because we might have a problem, or not, that doesn't mean that our situation will apply to all, especially when there is evidence to disprove our point. ;)
    Ok, I'm not thinking it applies to all Sonatas. The people who are having the problems are just trying to find a way to fix them. I think that is what the discussion is about. If my car was not having problems I wouldn't even be in this discussin.
    If your car does not have this problems be happy.
  • investingdadinvestingdad Member Posts: 23
    My point all along is thus:

...all of the cars have the same attributes but some owners think it's a significant problem whilst others don't.

I'd be willing to bet that if those that say there's a problem had somebody that says it isn't a problem go along for a ride, the person going along for the ride would say, "Yeah, my car does the same thing...so?"

I paid 15K for my 09 Sonata. It's performing to my expectation for such and I'm happy with the balance of car versus price point.
  • targettuningtargettuning Member Posts: 1,371
    I am 61 years old myself and have been driving since 1963 so it isn't like I have no life experience. I have had my share of $50.00 worn out beaters and winter cars held together with bondo and I am sure there WERE cars in that group that shouldn't have been on the road but I don't remember feeling truly afraid of any car. I really don't recall feeling/saying "this car isn't road worthy" in CAPS no less!! Anyhow, there is no reason to disagree with me because I don't necessarily disagree with you. I am only stating that I find it hard to comprehend that this car can be that bad.
  • investingdadinvestingdad Member Posts: 23
    If the problem was that bad, you're telling me it didn't show up in the test drive? Or it did and you bought it anyway? Please explain Vinng.
    My point is this. Why should I pay $20,000.00 for a new car that rides like a 10 year old car. Just keep the old one and have the same ride without payments. Let me say this, I purchased the 09 Sonata because it had some very good features and you get alot for your money. I was told by friends who own Sonatas 2007 & 2008, that they were nice riding cars and they are. But the 2009 I would not recommend to anyone. The 2009 Azera is a much better riding car and I'm very happy with it. I just think Hyundai made a mistake with the Sonata. Hopefully it will be corrected. Sincerely Vinny G
  • i360i360 Member Posts: 74
    Sure the car is a little grumbly when the road gets rough, but at no time would I say it's unsafe. I've never had that feeling although I wouldnt excatly speed across broken pavement as it will damage even a good suspension. I would say 98% of the time the car is quiet which I can make that compromise due to all the features it offers and the price I paid for it. To me its a little sportier and I have no illusions that this is a luxury car... I think some of you are over the top in actuality.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    You're in it! :)
  • banjoecbanjoec Member Posts: 5
    I just purchased an 09 Sonata and have a question for those of you that are not happy with the suspension. Was it always as crappy as you say, or did it get worse over time. I would catagorize the suspension on my Sonata as sporty. Not touring ride soft, but not like a corvette. It could be quieter, but not as bad as some of you claim.
    Thanks
    My car was bad from the start. When I test drove the car I drove around the area of the dealership. The roads there are real good. I didn't think of finding a bad road to drive it on. I had the car checking out when I picked up my plates. That was only about two weeks after buying it. I think the cars are not all the same. Good luck with yours.
    Yes you are right about the suspension on the 09 Sonata being sporty. However, I thought I was purchasing a 4 door family sedan not a car that rides like a corvette. If I was indeed looking for a sports suspension then I would have purchased a car with that type of suspension. As far as the crappy ride it all started from day one, plunk ,dunk,rattle and jar you out of your seat. I got rid of it after 3 months of driving that heap. I hope you have better luck with your Sonata---drive safely and take care.
    Jar you out of your seat? And I thought I had really bad roads where I live, in the Twin Cities where the freeze/thaw cycle is murder on roads and there's potholes all over, plus big bumps on the expansion joints when it's really cold. But I've never been jarred out of my seat by any car, yet. And the Sonata is smoother than most cars I've driven over the years. It appears you must have gotten a very bad sample to suffer that kind of jarring and rattling. :(
  • lmaxicklmaxick Member Posts: 46
    I don't think that all Sonatas have the suspension problem, why I do not know.
    What I do know is that are enough out witha problem and the biggest problem of all bar none, is THAT HYUNDAI REFUSES TO ACKNOWLEDGE THE PROBLEM AND DO ANYTHING TO RECTIFY THIS PROBLEM. I have brought this too their attention and NOTHING !!!!!!!!!!!! hAS BEEN DONE ABOUT. So the rest of the car is pretty great, so I guess we just have to live with the problem, becasue it is never going to addresed and it has been the same as back as the '02 and continuing til now.
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    I never heard of problems going back to the '02 model year.

I have an '05 and it is quiet. Rides great. Not a performance handler, but good for a "family" 4 dr sedan. A buddy has an '03, same quality of quietness, ride & handling.
  • dvdphiledvdphile Member Posts: 11
    I have a 09 GLS. Great ride, pretty quiet. As far as the suspension i think its great without out of the ordinary noise over tracks, bumps etc. Sure you hear the thump over bumpy areas but completely "normal" as far as i'm concerned. Not exaggerated at all. Probably the best overall car i have ever owned. Probably had over 100 cars and this is right up there with the best.
    Your lucky that you car is all right. They are not all the same. I had a fellow who lives near my job who has the exact same car that I have, even the color, take a ride with me. He said in my car you feel every bump even the small ones. He said his was different. The people are in this forum are trying to find a way to fix a problem. Some people keep reporting there is no problem. If you have no problem with your car doesn't mean no one else does.
  • jack47jack47 Member Posts: 312
    When I initially drove my '09 GLS home from the dealer it "thumked" like hell. After getting home I checked the tire pressure and it was over 60 pounds (which it is set at the factory) ....the dealer has not reset the pressure to the recommended 32 psi.

Nevertheless, there is still a harder thumping sound when driving over rough pavement (on smooth roads it's fine).

BTW, at 81 years of age, this is not my first car. And, (laugh) I hope it's not my last.
  • gslav1gslav1 Member Posts: 23
    I own a 2009 Hyundai sonata and have the same problem!!!!

the car rides like a 10 year old car. thumping and bucking over small bumps.

Otherwise the car is great its a shame that Hyundai got this wrong and will not fix the problem.
  • steven39steven39 Member Posts: 636
    hi folks,iam considering purchasing a 09 sonata gls sedan.but now after reading all of these thunking posts iam a little hesitant.are there still suspension issues with the 09 sonatas or have they been fixed yet?
    After reading all these posts how can you want buy one.
    Make sure you drive it over bumps, pot holes etc.
    I don't know if all the cars are the same. Read all the posts.
    I hate my car. Good luck.
  • OnepacOnepac Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a 2009 Hyundai Sonata Limited V6/Nav system in June and it is the worse riding car i have ever had.The suspension is terrible you feel every bump, pot hole on the road and it's makes this awful thunking sound.
    I also purchased a 2009 Sonata in June of last year. Clunking, thunking, and rattling on down the road. Got rid of it in a hurry. Please don't buy that hunk of junk that Hyundai calls a car.
  • jack47jack47 Member Posts: 312
    I purchased a GLS I4 Sonata in September. Black with a grey interior.

The car is beautiful.... both interior and exterior.

On a smooth road it rides fine...BUT, unfortunately, there aren't many smooth roads in NJ...

On the positive side...with all the "thumping" you probably won't fall asleep behind the wheel.
    Yet you bought the car anyway? Why? :surprise:
  • mtnman1mtnman1 Member Posts: 431
    I ended up buying a loaded 2009 Fusion SEL V6 back in October after narrowing down my choice to a '09 Sonata Limited V6. The last thorough test drive of both made my choice very easy. The Fusion was very smooth with little noise over bumps. The Fusion had better leather which was like night and day as compared to the quality of the leather Ford had in the past on their mid size cars. The Sonata ride was terrible as far as suspension noise goes. Also it seems the leather was not improved from the leather in my 2003 Sonata LX. I returned to the Hyundai dealership and told them I was buying the Ford. Glad I did. Fusion is a great car. I was disappointed that the Hyundai rode that way because in many other ways it is a very good car. You can't beat the warranty. I did purchase an extended bumper to bumper warranty for the Fusion because I was able to get them to knock $250 off the price of it.
    2012 Highlander Limited AWD V6 and 2015 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE
  • drgnassdrgnass Member Posts: 9
    We own a 2006 Sonata and are hearing a rear thunk now. Any ideas? I was wondering maybe it is the rear shocks? It's not like we four wheel the car.
    Along with that, our Airbag light stays on all the time and the ABS/ESC lights keeps coming on after driving for a few minutes. Awhile back we had to have the timing chain tensioner replaced after grinding noises at start up. The Dealer kept saying they did not hear anything and then they would say it was "normal" during the same conversation. After three attempts of trying to get it fixed and letting the dealership know that there was indeed a TSB for that problem, they finally heard the noise and fixed it.
    Is there any TSB's for the ABS/ESC lights as well as the Airbag lights?
    well folks, i finally decided to go take a test drive this morning in a 09 sonata gls auto at my local hyndai dealership here in south fla.i have narrowed down my choices of cars to purchase.i have already test driven 09 altima,malibu,mazda 6,and honda accord,.the sonata was to be the last car i would test drive before i made up my mind to which car i would be purchasing.i asked the salesman who was rideing with me on the test drive if the suspension issues have been fixed with the sonata's and he said absolutley.i then asked to take the car on some bumpy roads in or around the dealership and he said that he did not know of any and that i must stay around the dealership for insurance purposes.however,i noticed there was a railroad crossing a few blocks away from the dealership and decided i would go and see how the suspension would react to going over some railroad crossing.luckily there was a pretty bumpy road on the other side of the crossing.sure enough i couldn't believe it.i heard the suspension noise and the car felt like an old pickup truck going over these bumps.i turned to the salesmen and said this test drive is over for 2 reasons.#1 because of how bad the suspension was over the bumps and railroad tracks and #2 because the salesmen lied to me when he said that the suspension issues with the sonata have been fixed.he kept on insisting that the rough ride was due to the sporty suspension.i have had many sports cars in the past including,corvette,camaro,and firebirds that all rode better than this sonata.i urge anybody in the market for a new sonata to test drive the car over some rough roads before deciding on a purchase.if you don't you will regret it.
    You should take the car into the dealer ASAP on the ABS/ESC lights and airbag light. Either one could indicate a problem in those important safety systems.
    I'm happy that someone read these posts and avoided a bad car.
    What did you end up with?
    well,now that iv'e test driven the cars that i was considering and happily can eliminate the sonata as a future purchase i think i will consider purchasing a mazda 6.the 6 is only about a grand more than the sonata gls that i test drove however,the mazda 6 had the best ride-handling ratio out of all the cars that i test drove although the malibu came in pretty close behind the mazda 6.
  • supermsuperm Member Posts: 16
    I'd considered one also, so rented one to see if the clunking I'd seen in a previous rental was the exception or the rule.

If anything the car I have now at 6k miles is worse- the clunking and rattling has gotten this car rattled off my list!
    Has anyone beeb able to have the "thunk" problem fixed yet?
  • aqua33v6aqua33v6 Member Posts: 38
    I thought I'd chime in on the subject since I've driven quite a few 4th generation Sonatas, both rentals and test drives (15+ miles) at dealerships:

2006: 3 GLS models (1 rental), 1 LX model
    2007: 1 GLS model, 2 SE models (1 rental)
    2008: 1 GLS model (rental)
    2009: 1 GLS model

I own a 2006 GLS V6.

On all types of road surfaces, none of the above Sonatas I drove had an uncomfortable ride nor excessive noise. The SE and LX models had lower-profile tires on 17" rims, which transmitted a little more noise/impact over expansion joints and potholes compared to the GLS models with 16" tires/rims.

Other vehicles I've driven extensively: 1989 Lincoln Continental, 1988 Lincoln Mark VII, 1991 Cadillac Sedan Deville, 1994 and 1996 Ford Thunderbirds, 1994 Mercury Grand Marquis, 1993 Buick Lesabre, 1999 Lexus GS300, 1999 Buick Park Avenue, 1996 Lincoln Town Car, 1994 Dodge Ram 2500 pickup (hard suspension), 1987 Dodge Ram D250 cargo van (hard suspension), 1991 Dodge Ram D250 pickup upgraded to 1-ton rear springs (extremely hard suspension), 2001 Hyundai Accent, 2006 Honda Accord EX, 2003 Nissan Altima 2.5, 2007 Toyota Camry LE.

To sum it up, I've driven vehicles with suspensions so soft that they seemed to float over any imperfections in the road. I've also driven vehicles with suspensions so rough that I could feel my brain rattle inside my skull while driving over just moderately rough pavement. The only modern midsize car I've experienced that has a "pillowy" ride is the Camry. The Altima and Accord both have a firmer ride. The Sonata's ride and handling seem to be somewhere in the middle - not super-soft and numb/disconnected like the Camry, but softer and not as nimble feeling as the Altima and Accord.

These, of course, are just my experiences and impressions - to be taken with a grain of salt just like everything else posted in these forums.
    Of the 20-odd 2006-9 Sonatas I've driven, only one had excessive noise from the suspension (it was a 2008 GLS with 25k miles on it). But extrapolating that to the (rough estimate) 500-600,000 Sonatas sold in the U.S. since early 2005, that could be 25-30,000 with a suspension noise problem. Of course, a sample size of 1 is not very meaningful statistically, but it shows that even if the problem is limited to a small percentage of cars, there are many owners who could have that problem.
    Yes, I solved it. I got rid of that piece of junk 3 months after I bought it. Maybe you can do the same.
  • supermsuperm Member Posts: 16
    Interesting; I've only driven three. All GLS rentals with between 6 and 8k miles; one six cylinder. All three had it including one I'm driving. One car was driven my wife who picked up on it and she's not as sensitive.

I've heard that the noise is strut mounts, the struts themselves and also something with sway bars. Has anyone FIXED it? Granted, these are new cars but given stories of limited/no success with dealers this is one big wart (to me) that shouldn't be tough to fix. If there was an alternate brand of strut mount or bushing I'd consider it, as for me this noise is annoying enough to prevent buying the car.
  • dncbdncb Member Posts: 70
    I haven't contributed to this forum for some time, though I started this thread as a result of my 07 Sonata LTD. My problem was temporarily solved by replacement of front struts and upper mounts after a less than cordial back and forth with Hyundai corporate. I've concluded that the upper mount (and noise damper) is where the noise originates. See earlier posts of the in-shop diagnostics a friend (ASE mechanic) and I went through to isolate the thunking noise in his shop with a device that cycled the suspension on the rack at different rates. However, within 1000 miles it was again noticeable. Now, 10,000 miles later it is as bad as it was before replacing them. I've resigned myself to having the noise until I trade it for a Toyota next year. As far as I know Hyundai has no plans to redesign the suspension through 2010. Evidently, Hyundai is happy selling cars only to the undiscerning - those who ask, "Does it hurt to run it without oil?" Apparently there are enough of them to make a successful brand sales. Coincidentally, the highway department in my area has repaved many of the streets that were the worst offenders in my normal travels. So the noise is less offensive due to not making the suspension have to do anything. Be thankful for small favors. Good luck to the rest of you who live in areas with worse roads.
  • gslav1gslav1 Member Posts: 23
    Hello I have a 2009 Sonata and have the same problems with the suspension. I took the car to my dealership and they told me the same thing!!

Thanks
    I'm making an appointment to have my car looked at for the third time.
    Where the parts you had replaced the struts and strut mounts?
    Was this on the front only? My car seems to make this noise from the rear as well.
    I let the rear wheels only go over bumps and hear it from behind.
    I had the front struts replaced to no avail. The strut mounts were not replaced. I also had a great deal of noise from the rear as well. It rode like a broken down old piece of junk. As I stated in an earlier post, I got rid of it 3 months after I bought it. My advice to you is to do the same.
  • wayne52wayne52 Member Posts: 26
    I am in the market for a new car to replace my accord. The accord has been a good (not great) car and I am considering another one, but thought I'd check out the competition. I prefer something assembled in the USA, but non-union built (been there, owned that, have the t-shirt and battle scars). I drove a new 6 cyl limited sonata and immediately noticed a "thunk" in the front end of the car. Thus I came to this site to see if it was a problem. Apparently it is. I also thought that for a six cylinder it was not overlyblessed with power and I thought the interior materials lacked a bit. I had actually thought it would be the car I would be buying, but do not think it is a car that is "ready for primetime" at this point. I have written it off. I also drove a new 6 cylinder accord and camry. The accord had the same road noise mine does and it was an okay car, but I am not sure all 271 horses were working when I was driving. I drove the camry and it was by far the best of all the cars I drove, but I have heard they have issues with transmissions so I am giving it some more thought. Just my two cents.
    The new-for-2009 Mazda6 is US-made also, as are the Altima and Galant. Not sure if those plants are union or not. The GM mid-sizers are also made in the U.S., but union labor of course.
    wayne52, the transmision issues that you were refering to have been an issue with the camry since the 07 redesign.slugish shifting,hesitation,and a clunking tranny that toyota like hyndai with this sonata suspension problem refuses to do anything about it.what is happening with automakers these days i don't know.
  • wayne52wayne52 Member Posts: 26
    Thank you, steven39. I wasn't sure about whether the camry transmission issue was resolved or not. Makes me wonder if I shouldn't just drive the wheels off my accord and absorb the issues it has. I've driven a few others (mentioned by backy) but not with the intent to buy them as there is no nearby dealership. In tough financial times I hate to stretch myself, but am willing to at least consider a new car. From the consumer magazines, I was really leaning toward the sonata (bang for the buck was my interest). After driving some of these cars, I do not agree with the consumer magazines' assessments. I'm not a car buff, but they will be MY dollars that I obligate. I think people on these sites basically know what they are talking about & are more into cars than I am and more importantly, I don't want to "buy problems". In driving these cars I can say that on a one time drive of each of them I had some of the issues I've read on edmunds. As a novice I can give one (my own) opinion of my experiences to date. Each was a 6 cylinder.

- Although I did not experience a transmission problem with the camry, my drive was rather limited because the car smelled like a cigarette and I made it a short drive. It was, however, the nicest of the cars I drove.
    - I know what is meant by the sonata "thunk". That was no-brainer for me. The sonata could also use a little more pep and an upgrade of interior materials.
    - The accord 6 cyl vcm is not something I am interested in dealing with. I felt as though an a/c pump was constantly switching off and on. Over time, that would get the best of me. For $28k I would not have expected that from honda. I'm not doubting honda on their horsepower rating, but I think some of those 271 horses were pretty tired and did not show an interest in propelling the car. AND they still haven't taken care of the road noise issue either. I wouldn't think that would be so hard, but since they've had it for years I assume it is not a priority for honda.
    - I have driven an altima, but there is no dealer near me. I think the CVT would take some getting used to, but I also thought the interior of the one I drove was pretty cheap. The altima was, however, by far the most powerful car I drove! It could pass as an eight cylinder. The other issue on an altima would be figuring out what options to get. I am convinced that options packages for the altima were written by the people who write the IRS tax codes - very confusing.

So I thought about the new camaro until I read that it was made by the CAW (canadian auto workers). I won't own another union-built car. In a short search I learned that the plant making the new camaro is known for being one of the "top quality producers in north america". Then I read a list of the cars they produced. I will just say there was a disconnect! I saw nothing on the list of their products that was "known for being a quality vehicle". I'll keep looking, but am not anxious to "buy problems". Maybe I'll just keep the accord.
    wayne,i myself also felt that the altima interior felt very flimsy and cheap.i actually felt that i was sitting in a kia rather than an over 20,000.00 automobile.i also considered a 09 malibu ls,but i felt that the black side mirrors was out of place with a car in this price range and i thought it looked tacky and cheap..a car in this price range should have body color side mirrors and door handles.the sonata does have this but the suspension issues doesn't make up for it...iam leaning towards the mazda 6 as it just feels like a sturdy well built car that drives and handles very well.